|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gwendolyn request be sent to her after she and Sir Hugo discuss what Grandcourt has left her in the will?
2. Who owned the chest that Daniel is now inheriting?
3. Where does Herr invite Mirah to sing?
4. Who eventually tells Daniel that Gwendolyn knows about Lydia?
5. What does Mrs. Meyrick advise Mirah to do when she thinks that she has seen her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Daniel think that Hans' love for Mirah will not result in a long-lasting relationship?
2. How does Daniel's mother misrepresent Daniel's identity to her servants?
3. How do the Cohens react when Daniel and Mordecai tell them that Mordecai will be leaving them to go live with his long-lost sister?
4. How does Rex react to the news that Gwendolyn's husband has drowned?
5. What does Mordecai say about the Mrs. Cohen's older daughter when Daniel first asks about her?
6. What does Gwendolyn tell Sir Hugo about what Grandcourt has left her?
7. Why does Gwendolyn keep up public appearances that her marriage is a happy one?
8. What does Grandcourt tell Gwendolyn about finances?
9. Where does Mordecai take Daniel before he tells him his life story?
10. What does Mordecai predict will happen after Mirah first gives her father money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Gwendolyn is clearly her mother's favorite child, she reacts very apologetically if she ever hurts her mother's feelings or disobeys her. Discuss what a minimum of two of those types of interactions show the reader about Gwendolyn's character, as well as that of Franny's.
Essay Topic 2
Gwendolyn has a pattern of convincing herself out of responsibility for certain actions, as well from choices she makes that have negative or harsh consequences. Given that pattern of hers, discuss why Gwendolyn is actually completely at fault for Grandcourt's death, using the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing the role that Herr Klesmer plays in the novel, as well as a minimum of two ways that Eliot uses his characters to fulfill that role.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)