|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hans have a drawing of Rex with him when he visits Daniel?
2. Who does Gwendolyn want to connect with while at the Abbey?
3. How does Grandcourt react to how Gwendolyn is talking to Daniel at the Abbey?
4. What does Mrs. Meyrick advise Mirah to do when she thinks that she has seen her father?
5. Who visits Gwendolyn after Grandcourt drowns?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sir Hugo think about Gwendolyn and Daniel after Grandcourt passes away?
2. Why had Daniel's mother marry so quickly?
3. What does Grandcourt tell Gwendolyn about finances?
4. Where does Mordecai take Daniel before he tells him his life story?
5. What kind of wedding ceremony do Daniel and Mirah have?
6. What does Daniel tell his mother when he first sees her?
7. What does Grandcourt suspect about the package of diamonds that Gwendolyn has received?
8. As their marriage sours, what does Grandcourt tell Gwendolyn in relation to Lush dining with them?
9. What does Daniel's mother tell him about the family chest?
10. Why is Gwendolyn hesitant to talk to Daniel while she is staying at the Abbey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three reasons why a female author would write under a male pen name and what influence if any, the reasons would have on the reader.
Essay Topic 2
What literary devices does Eliot use to convey traits about two characters (of your choosing) within the first scene of the story? Thinking about the way that Eliot uses characters, foreshadowing, and dialogue, describe how those devices help the reader learn more about the characters, as well as what is going to happen later in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, some characters are (1) admired but not respected, (2) respected but not admired, and (3) admired and respected. Select one character who in your opinion fits each description, and using supporting text from the book, write an essay stating who admires and/or respects them and why.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)