|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eliot make it clear that Rex has gotten over Gwendolyn?
2. What does Gwendolyn tell her mother about her marriage to Grandcourt as time goes on?
3. Who tells Mordecai that his younger sister has been found?
4. What prevents Daniel from spending more time with Mordecai as they begin to grow closer?
5. Even though they have arrived to his uncle's house earlier in the day, when does Daniel finally see Grandcourt and Gwendolyn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sir Hugo think about Gwendolyn and Daniel after Grandcourt passes away?
2. What does Grandcourt tell Gwendolyn about finances?
3. Why did Mordecai's mother share a special bonded with his younger sister?
4. Where does Mordecai take Daniel before he tells him his life story?
5. What does Grandcourt suspect about the package of diamonds that Gwendolyn has received?
6. What advice does Daniel give Gwendolyn when she asks what to do if someone has wronged someone else?
7. How does Gwendolyn react to Grandcourt being upset about how she conducts herself around Daniel?
8. What does Joseph Kalonymos talk to Daniel about before he hands over the family chest?
9. As their marriage sours, what does Grandcourt tell Gwendolyn in relation to Lush dining with them?
10. Why does Daniel think that Hans' love for Mirah will not result in a long-lasting relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast at least three instances in which Gwendolyn faces inner turmoil but projects a calm, outward demeanor; and at least one literary device that Eliot uses to convey Gwendolyn's tension to the reader through each example.
Essay Topic 2
Gwendolyn has a pattern of convincing herself out of responsibility for certain actions, as well from choices she makes that have negative or harsh consequences. Given that pattern of hers, discuss why Gwendolyn is actually completely at fault for Grandcourt's death, using the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three reasons why a female author would write under a male pen name and what influence if any, the reasons would have on the reader.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)