|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Daniel request help from in opening and translating the chest?
2. What does Mrs. Meyrick advise Mirah to do when she thinks that she has seen her father?
3. Who does Hans realize to be loved by Mirah?
4. What is the name of Mordecai's sister who is taken?
5. Where does Daniel find a place for Mordecai to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before she confides in him, what does Daniel surmise about Gwendolyn's knowledge of Lydia?
2. Why does Gwendolyn keep up public appearances that her marriage is a happy one?
3. Why does Daniel think that Hans' love for Mirah will not result in a long-lasting relationship?
4. How does Gwendolyn react to Grandcourt being upset about how she conducts herself around Daniel?
5. What does Daniel tell his mother when he first sees her?
6. What does Daniel's mother tell him about the family chest?
7. Where does Mordecai take Daniel before he tells him his life story?
8. How does Rex react to the news that Gwendolyn's husband has drowned?
9. What does Sir Hugo confess to Daniel about his reason for keeping Daniel's parentage in secret for so long?
10. What does Grandcourt suspect about the package of diamonds that Gwendolyn has received?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gwendolyn has a pattern of convincing herself out of responsibility for certain actions, as well from choices she makes that have negative or harsh consequences. Given that pattern of hers, discuss why Gwendolyn is actually completely at fault for Grandcourt's death, using the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Using supporting text from the book, write a well-reasoned essay discussing whether the character of Gwendolyn is capable of loving anyone.
Essay Topic 3
While Gwendolyn is clearly her mother's favorite child, she reacts very apologetically if she ever hurts her mother's feelings or disobeys her. Discuss what a minimum of two of those types of interactions show the reader about Gwendolyn's character, as well as that of Franny's.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)