|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grandcourt react to how Gwendolyn is talking to Daniel at the Abbey?
2. How is Mordecai notified that his father has taken his little sister away?
3. How does Daniel tell Mordecai and Mirah that he is going to see his mother?
4. What does Gwendolyn tell her mother about her marriage to Grandcourt as time goes on?
5. What does Gwendolyn confess to Daniel while they are at the Abbey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daniel's mother tell him about the family chest?
2. How does Daniel's mother misrepresent Daniel's identity to her servants?
3. Why did Mordecai's mother share a special bonded with his younger sister?
4. How do the Cohens react when Daniel and Mordecai tell them that Mordecai will be leaving them to go live with his long-lost sister?
5. Why does Gwendolyn keep up public appearances that her marriage is a happy one?
6. What does Daniel's mother tell him about her heritage?
7. How does Rex react to the news that Gwendolyn's husband has drowned?
8. What does Daniel tell his mother when he first sees her?
9. What does Gwendolyn tell Sir Hugo about what Grandcourt has left her?
10. Where does Mordecai take Daniel before he tells him his life story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific text throughout your essay, compare and contrast the characters of Anna and Gwendolyn.
Essay Topic 2
Using supporting text from the book, write a well-reasoned essay discussing whether the character of Gwendolyn is capable of loving anyone.
Essay Topic 3
The character of Gwendolyn is often described (particularly at the beginning of the novel) as self-centered and spoiled. In contrast, write a well-reasoned paper that discusses 1) how those traits are actually positives in Gwendolyn's character and 2) how those traits would be viewed more as positives if Gwendolyn were a man. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)