|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Daniel end up marrying when the novel concludes?
2. Why does Mirah dress in her poorest dress as she prepares to meet her brother?
3. Who does Mrs. Meyrick report as being happier since Hans' arrival?
4. What specific advice does Grandcourt give Gwendolyn while at the Abbey?
5. Who tells the Cohen family that Mordecai's missing family has been found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gwendolyn tell Sir Hugo about what Grandcourt has left her?
2. Why did Mordecai's mother share a special bonded with his younger sister?
3. How did Daniel's mother come to find out about him as an adult?
4. How does Gwendolyn react to Grandcourt being upset about how she conducts herself around Daniel?
5. Before she confides in him, what does Daniel surmise about Gwendolyn's knowledge of Lydia?
6. Where does Mordecai take Daniel before he tells him his life story?
7. Why does Gwendolyn keep up public appearances that her marriage is a happy one?
8. How does Rex react to the news that Gwendolyn's husband has drowned?
9. What important financial news does Grandcourt make Lush tell Gwendolyn?
10. How does Daniel's mother misrepresent Daniel's identity to her servants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What literary devices does Eliot use to convey traits about two characters (of your choosing) within the first scene of the story? Thinking about the way that Eliot uses characters, foreshadowing, and dialogue, describe how those devices help the reader learn more about the characters, as well as what is going to happen later in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The character of Rex is quite complicated. In fact, one could make an argument that he is either a man of action or a man of inaction. Using three specific examples in support from the text, write an essay stating either that Rex is a man of action; or that Rex is a man of inaction.
Essay Topic 3
While Gwendolyn is clearly her mother's favorite child, she reacts very apologetically if she ever hurts her mother's feelings or disobeys her. Discuss what a minimum of two of those types of interactions show the reader about Gwendolyn's character, as well as that of Franny's.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)