|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Daniel tell about the news of his ethnicity?
2. What does Daniel learn about his father?
3. What does Daniel think about Gwendolyn's dependence on him after Grandcourt dies?
4. What is the name of Mordecai's sister who is taken?
5. What specific advice does Grandcourt give Gwendolyn while at the Abbey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before she confides in him, what does Daniel surmise about Gwendolyn's knowledge of Lydia?
2. How does Gwendolyn react to Grandcourt being upset about how she conducts herself around Daniel?
3. How does Rex react to the news that Gwendolyn's husband has drowned?
4. What does Sir Hugo think about Gwendolyn and Daniel after Grandcourt passes away?
5. What does the reader learn about the Arrowpoints during the conversation among Daniel, Grandcourt and Gwendolyn at the Abbey?
6. How does Daniel's mother misrepresent Daniel's identity to her servants?
7. What does Daniel's mother tell him about the family chest?
8. Why does Daniel think that Hans' love for Mirah will not result in a long-lasting relationship?
9. What does Grandcourt suspect about the package of diamonds that Gwendolyn has received?
10. What advice does Daniel give Gwendolyn when she asks what to do if someone has wronged someone else?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What literary devices does Eliot use to convey traits about two characters (of your choosing) within the first scene of the story? Thinking about the way that Eliot uses characters, foreshadowing, and dialogue, describe how those devices help the reader learn more about the characters, as well as what is going to happen later in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast at least three instances in which Gwendolyn faces inner turmoil but projects a calm, outward demeanor; and at least one literary device that Eliot uses to convey Gwendolyn's tension to the reader through each example.
Essay Topic 3
Using specific text throughout your essay, compare and contrast the characters of Anna and Gwendolyn.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)