|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Daniel's first reaction to learning about Lydia?
2. What names does Mordecai tell Daniel he was called by a companion?
3. Whom does Grandcourt make fun of to Gwendolyn?
4. How does Mrs. Davilow react to Gwendolyn's increasing need for her after Grandcourt drowns?
5. Who tells Daniel that his mother wants to meet him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had Daniel's mother marry so quickly?
2. What advice does Daniel give Gwendolyn when she asks what to do if someone has wronged someone else?
3. How does Rex react to the news that Gwendolyn's husband has drowned?
4. What does Daniel's mother tell him about her heritage?
5. What does Gwendolyn tell Sir Hugo about what Grandcourt has left her?
6. Why does Daniel think that Hans' love for Mirah will not result in a long-lasting relationship?
7. Before she confides in him, what does Daniel surmise about Gwendolyn's knowledge of Lydia?
8. How did Daniel's mother come to find out about him as an adult?
9. What does Grandcourt suspect about the package of diamonds that Gwendolyn has received?
10. As their marriage sours, what does Grandcourt tell Gwendolyn in relation to Lush dining with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using supporting text from the book, write a well-reasoned essay discussing whether the character of Gwendolyn is capable of loving anyone.
Essay Topic 2
Gwendolyn comments that she does not want to continue tutoring her younger sister because she is ignorant. Write a well-reasoned essay that discusses 1) which character from the text is the most ignorant; 2) what evidence from the text supports your choice; and 3) two literary devices that Eliot uses to convey that character's ignorance to the reader.
Essay Topic 3
The character of Fanny has a complicated role in the novel. Using three specific examples of her actions, write an essay discussing why she is a respectable person; or why she is not a respectable person.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)