|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Mordecai notified that his father has taken his little sister away?
2. What is Daniel's mother's full name?
3. What does Daniel's mother claim to be in the letter that she writes to him?
4. What kind of relationship do Mordecai and Daniel develop after Daniel pawns his ring?
5. What does Daniel come to think about Lydia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay discussing the role that Herr Klesmer plays in the novel, as well as a minimum of two ways that Eliot uses his characters to fulfill that role.
Essay Topic 2
The character of Gwendolyn is often described (particularly at the beginning of the novel) as self-centered and spoiled. In contrast, write a well-reasoned paper that discusses 1) how those traits are actually positives in Gwendolyn's character and 2) how those traits would be viewed more as positives if Gwendolyn were a man. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Gambling makes several appearances in the novel. Analyze at least two scenes in which gambling appears, and discuss 1) what function it serves in the plot; 2) what the reader learns about at least one character involved in the scene; and 3) what message Eliot is trying to convey to the reader by including gambling instead of another activity at that point in the novel.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)