|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Rex and Anne when they learn that Grandcourt has drowned?
2. Who tells Mordecai that his younger sister has been found?
3. Even though they have arrived to his uncle's house earlier in the day, when does Daniel finally see Grandcourt and Gwendolyn?
4. What prevents Daniel from spending more time with Mordecai as they begin to grow closer?
5. Who is Jacob?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daniel's mother tell him about her heritage?
2. How does Rex react to the news that Gwendolyn's husband has drowned?
3. What does Daniel tell his mother when he first sees her?
4. What does the reader learn about the Arrowpoints during the conversation among Daniel, Grandcourt and Gwendolyn at the Abbey?
5. What does Mordecai predict will happen after Mirah first gives her father money?
6. What important financial news does Grandcourt make Lush tell Gwendolyn?
7. Where does Mordecai take Daniel before he tells him his life story?
8. What does Daniel's mother tell him about the family chest?
9. Why does Gwendolyn keep up public appearances that her marriage is a happy one?
10. How do the Cohens react when Daniel and Mordecai tell them that Mordecai will be leaving them to go live with his long-lost sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Gwendolyn is often described (particularly at the beginning of the novel) as self-centered and spoiled. In contrast, write a well-reasoned paper that discusses 1) how those traits are actually positives in Gwendolyn's character and 2) how those traits would be viewed more as positives if Gwendolyn were a man. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing the role that Herr Klesmer plays in the novel, as well as a minimum of two ways that Eliot uses his characters to fulfill that role.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three reasons why a female author would write under a male pen name and what influence if any, the reasons would have on the reader.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)