|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who follows Mirah home one day?
2. How does Daniel tell Mordecai and Mirah that he is going to see his mother?
3. What specific advice does Grandcourt give Gwendolyn while at the Abbey?
4. Why does Hans have a drawing of Rex with him when he visits Daniel?
5. What valuable family item does Mirah's father steal from Daniel?
Short Essay Questions
1. As their marriage sours, what does Grandcourt tell Gwendolyn in relation to Lush dining with them?
2. How does Daniel's mother misrepresent Daniel's identity to her servants?
3. Why does Gwendolyn keep up public appearances that her marriage is a happy one?
4. What does Daniel's mother tell him about her heritage?
5. What does Mordecai say about the Mrs. Cohen's older daughter when Daniel first asks about her?
6. What does Sir Hugo confess to Daniel about his reason for keeping Daniel's parentage in secret for so long?
7. What does the reader learn about the Arrowpoints during the conversation among Daniel, Grandcourt and Gwendolyn at the Abbey?
8. Before she confides in him, what does Daniel surmise about Gwendolyn's knowledge of Lydia?
9. How does Gwendolyn react to Grandcourt being upset about how she conducts herself around Daniel?
10. What does Sir Hugo think about Gwendolyn and Daniel after Grandcourt passes away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three reasons why a female author would write under a male pen name and what influence if any, the reasons would have on the reader.
Essay Topic 2
The character of Rex is quite complicated. In fact, one could make an argument that he is either a man of action or a man of inaction. Using three specific examples in support from the text, write an essay stating either that Rex is a man of action; or that Rex is a man of inaction.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the parenting styles of Gwendolyn's mother with those of Daniel's mother. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your essay.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)