|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mirah's father take her on a trip at the time that she is at a very young age?
2. What personal items does Gwendolyn give to her mother so that she can sell them and earn extra money?
3. Why does Grandcourt expect Daniel to be jealous?
4. What club does Gwendolyn join with Reverend Gascoigne?
5. Where does Daniel first encounter Mordecai?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gwendolyn feel about Grandcourt after the ball?
2. What happens when Rex tries to go hunting with Gwendolyn?
3. Why is Mr. Lush against the idea of marriage between Gwendolyn and Grandcourt?
4. What does Anna think that her life will be like when Rex is first mentioned in the novel?
5. How does Mirah Lapidoth introduce herself to Mrs. Meyrick?
6. How does Gwendolyn react when she receives her pawned necklace supposedly from Daniel?
7. What does Daniel tell his uncle right after he finds the girl at the river?
8. How does Hans Meyrick's family feel about Daniel?
9. How does Rex react to Gwendolyn's rebuff of his confession of love?
10. What is Daniel's relation to Sir Hugo Mallinger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using supporting text from the book, write a well-reasoned essay discussing whether the character of Gwendolyn is capable of loving anyone.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific text throughout your essay, compare and contrast the characters of Anna and Gwendolyn.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, some characters are (1) admired but not respected, (2) respected but not admired, and (3) admired and respected. Select one character who in your opinion fits each description, and using supporting text from the book, write an essay stating who admires and/or respects them and why.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)