|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Daniel find his mission of pawning a ring to Ezra unsatisfactory?
2. How many younger sisters does Gwendolyn have?
3. What personal items does Gwendolyn give to her mother so that she can sell them and earn extra money?
4. Why is the name, "Ezra", significant in the book?
5. What does Mordecai ask Daniel when they first meet one another?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main reason behind Lydia's desire to marry Grandcourt?
2. What does Anna think that her life will be like when Rex is first mentioned in the novel?
3. In contrast to what she originally believed, what does Mirah quickly learn about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
4. How does Mirah Lapidoth introduce herself to Mrs. Meyrick?
5. What happens when Rex tries to go hunting with Gwendolyn?
6. What does Daniel tell his uncle right after he finds the girl at the river?
7. How does Gwendolyn feel about Grandcourt after the ball?
8. What does Mirah believe about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
9. How does Gwendolyn react when she enters her family's new rented house in Offendene?
10. What does Gwendolyn request of Grandcourt during their conversation about getting married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three reasons why a female author would write under a male pen name and what influence if any, the reasons would have on the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Using supporting text from the book, write an essay discussing at least three reasons why Daniel should have married Gwendolyn.
Essay Topic 3
While Gwendolyn is clearly her mother's favorite child, she reacts very apologetically if she ever hurts her mother's feelings or disobeys her. Discuss what a minimum of two of those types of interactions show the reader about Gwendolyn's character, as well as that of Franny's.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)