|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gwendolyn react to Mr. Lush's offer to put her jacket on her after the ball?
2. What causes Gwendolyn's winning gambling streak to end when the novel first opens?
3. What does Rex tell Anna that he is going to do after he is rebuffed by her?
4. What does Gwendolyn request after speaking to Lydia Glasher for the first time?
5. What hotel does Mr. Lush settle his "mystery guest" in as Grandcourt is preparing to propose to Gwendolyn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hans Meyrick's family feel about Daniel?
2. How does Rex react to Gwendolyn's rebuff of his confession of love?
3. For what reason does Daniel visit Grandcourt after he becomes engaged?
4. Why does Mr. Lush encourage Grandcourt to seek Catherine Arrowpoint's favor?
5. Why does Gwendolyn react coldly when Grandcourt tells her that he is going out of town shortly after their engagement?
6. What happens when Rex tries to go hunting with Gwendolyn?
7. Why does Gwendolyn think that her family will travel abroad after she leaves Grandcourt before he can propose?
8. What is the main reason behind Lydia's desire to marry Grandcourt?
9. What does Daniel tell his uncle right after he finds the girl at the river?
10. What is Daniel's relation to Sir Hugo Mallinger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three reasons why a female author would write under a male pen name and what influence if any, the reasons would have on the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Using supporting text from the book, write an essay discussing whether Gwendolyn should have married Grandcourt.
Essay Topic 3
Using supporting text from the book, write an essay discussing at least three reasons why Daniel should have married Gwendolyn.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)