|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gwendolyn tell her mother that she is going the day after she meets Lydia Glasher?
2. What is the reason that Mrs. Davilow tells Gwendolyn that they are not going to be traveling or moving abroad?
3. What information does Lush discover about Gwendolyn's family while Grandcourt remains in Paris?
4. How does Daniel feel about gambling?
5. How does Gwendolyn's mother feel about the possibility of Gwendolyn marrying Grandcourt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main reason behind Lydia's desire to marry Grandcourt?
2. What does the letter that Lydia includes in the package with the diamonds that she sends to Gwendolyn say?
3. Why does Mr. Lush encourage Grandcourt to seek Catherine Arrowpoint's favor?
4. What does Gwendolyn request of Grandcourt during their conversation about getting married?
5. How does Lydia react when Grandcourt asks her to return his diamonds?
6. What does Daniel tell his uncle right after he finds the girl at the river?
7. What are the two reasons that Gwendolyn regrets losing her money gambling?
8. What is Daniel's relation to Sir Hugo Mallinger?
9. What does Grandcourt think that he needs to do in order to gain Gwendolyn's forgiveness as he learns that Gwendolyn has left town before he has had the opportunity to propose?
10. How does Gwendolyn react when she enters her family's new rented house in Offendene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the parenting styles of Gwendolyn's mother with those of Daniel's mother. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast at least three instances in which Gwendolyn faces inner turmoil but projects a calm, outward demeanor; and at least one literary device that Eliot uses to convey Gwendolyn's tension to the reader through each example.
Essay Topic 3
While Gwendolyn is clearly her mother's favorite child, she reacts very apologetically if she ever hurts her mother's feelings or disobeys her. Discuss what a minimum of two of those types of interactions show the reader about Gwendolyn's character, as well as that of Franny's.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)