|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gwendolyn's family move when she returns from her gambling trip?
2. What does Grandcourt tell Gwendolyn upon arriving home after being married?
3. How does Gwendolyn react to Mr. Lush's offer to put her jacket on her after the ball?
4. How does Sir Hugo find out about Gwendolyn and Grandcourt's engagement?
5. Why is Herr Klesmer hesitant to confess his love for Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anna think that her life will be like when Rex is first mentioned in the novel?
2. How does Rex react to Gwendolyn's rebuff of his confession of love?
3. How does Hans Meyrick's family feel about Daniel?
4. What happens when Rex tries to go hunting with Gwendolyn?
5. Why does Gwendolyn react coldly when Grandcourt tells her that he is going out of town shortly after their engagement?
6. How does Lydia react when Grandcourt asks her to return his diamonds?
7. What does the letter that Lydia includes in the package with the diamonds that she sends to Gwendolyn say?
8. What are the two reasons that Gwendolyn regrets losing her money gambling?
9. What does Daniel tell his uncle right after he finds the girl at the river?
10. What does Gwendolyn request of Grandcourt during their conversation about getting married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast at least three instances in which Gwendolyn faces inner turmoil but projects a calm, outward demeanor; and at least one literary device that Eliot uses to convey Gwendolyn's tension to the reader through each example.
Essay Topic 2
The character of Gwendolyn is often described (particularly at the beginning of the novel) as self-centered and spoiled. In contrast, write a well-reasoned paper that discusses 1) how those traits are actually positives in Gwendolyn's character and 2) how those traits would be viewed more as positives if Gwendolyn were a man. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the parenting styles of Gwendolyn's mother with those of Daniel's mother. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your essay.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)