|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Daniel pawn a ring with Ezra Cohen?
2. With whom has Gwendolyn come to the city to gamble?
3. Where is the archery club having an outing when Gwendolyn is called away to meet someone?
4. Who tells Sir Hugo about the engagement between Gwendolyn and Grandcourt?
5. What does Gwendolyn's uncle think of the waltz?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rex react to Gwendolyn's rebuff of his confession of love?
2. How does Hans Meyrick's family feel about Daniel?
3. What is Anna like in comparison to Gwendolyn once they reach their mid-twenties?
4. Why does Mrs. Davilow think that Gwendolyn must leave home and get a job?
5. Why does Gwendolyn react coldly when Grandcourt tells her that he is going out of town shortly after their engagement?
6. Why is Mr. Lush against the idea of marriage between Gwendolyn and Grandcourt?
7. What happens when Rex tries to go hunting with Gwendolyn?
8. How does Gwendolyn react when she enters her family's new rented house in Offendene?
9. How does Lydia react when Grandcourt asks her to return his diamonds?
10. What is the main reason behind Lydia's desire to marry Grandcourt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using supporting text from the book, write an essay discussing at least three reasons why Daniel should have married Gwendolyn.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast at least three instances in which Gwendolyn faces inner turmoil but projects a calm, outward demeanor; and at least one literary device that Eliot uses to convey Gwendolyn's tension to the reader through each example.
Essay Topic 3
Using supporting text from the book, write a well-reasoned essay discussing whether the character of Gwendolyn is capable of loving anyone.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)