|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what job does Mrs. Davilow think Gwendolyn will be happiest?
2. What animal does Gwendolyn want that Reverend Gascoigne cannot buy for his own daughter?
3. Why does Gwendolyn say that she cannot dance with Grandcourt at the ball?
4. What is the reason that Mrs. Davilow tells Gwendolyn that they are not going to be traveling or moving abroad?
5. What does Mordecai ask Daniel when they first meet one another?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mirah believe about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
2. How does Gwendolyn react when she enters her family's new rented house in Offendene?
3. Why does Mrs. Davilow think that Gwendolyn must leave home and get a job?
4. What does Mrs. Meyrick believe about Mirah when she takes her in?
5. What does Gwendolyn request of Grandcourt during their conversation about getting married?
6. What are the two reasons that Gwendolyn regrets losing her money gambling?
7. How does Mirah Lapidoth introduce herself to Mrs. Meyrick?
8. How does Gwendolyn feel about Grandcourt after the ball?
9. Why does Gwendolyn think that her family will travel abroad after she leaves Grandcourt before he can propose?
10. What is the main reason behind Lydia's desire to marry Grandcourt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gambling makes several appearances in the novel. Analyze at least two scenes in which gambling appears, and discuss 1) what function it serves in the plot; 2) what the reader learns about at least one character involved in the scene; and 3) what message Eliot is trying to convey to the reader by including gambling instead of another activity at that point in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast at least three instances in which Gwendolyn faces inner turmoil but projects a calm, outward demeanor; and at least one literary device that Eliot uses to convey Gwendolyn's tension to the reader through each example.
Essay Topic 3
Gwendolyn has quite a vivid imagination, particularly when it comes to matters of the heart. Write an essay discussing three ways that Gwendolyn's imagination has a significant impact on her life.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)