|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Rex?
2. Following Catherine's announcement that she plans to marry Herr Klesmer, what do her parents do as soon as she leaves the room?
3. How does Gwendolyn react to Mr. Lush's offer to put her jacket on her after the ball?
4. How quickly does Grandcourt want to get married to Gwendolyn once she accepts his proposal?
5. Who does Mrs. Davilow think is likely to be Daniels' father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mirah believe about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
2. What does Mrs. Meyrick believe about Mirah when she takes her in?
3. Why does Gwendolyn react coldly when Grandcourt tells her that he is going out of town shortly after their engagement?
4. How does Gwendolyn react when she receives her pawned necklace supposedly from Daniel?
5. How does Mrs. Davilow respond to Gwendolyn's question about illegitimate children?
6. What does Anna think that her life will be like when Rex is first mentioned in the novel?
7. What is Anna like in comparison to Gwendolyn once they reach their mid-twenties?
8. What happens when Rex tries to go hunting with Gwendolyn?
9. How does Gwendolyn feel about Grandcourt after the ball?
10. Why does Gwendolyn think that her family will travel abroad after she leaves Grandcourt before he can propose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select a character from the list below. Then examine three major choices that the character made in the play, and what those choices reveal to the reader about that him or her.
Essay Topic 2
Gambling makes several appearances in the novel. Analyze at least two scenes in which gambling appears, and discuss 1) what function it serves in the plot; 2) what the reader learns about at least one character involved in the scene; and 3) what message Eliot is trying to convey to the reader by including gambling instead of another activity at that point in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three reasons why a female author would write under a male pen name and what influence if any, the reasons would have on the reader.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)