Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Anna?
2. Why does Daniel pawn a ring with Ezra Cohen?
3. What does Daniel think upon seeing Gwendolyn for the first time?
4. What does Gwendolyn request after speaking to Lydia Glasher for the first time?
5. What does Herr Klesmer do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main reason behind Lydia's desire to marry Grandcourt?
2. What does Daniel's mother tell him about the family chest?
3. How does Gwendolyn feel about Grandcourt after the ball?
4. Why did Mordecai's mother share a special bonded with his younger sister?
5. What does Mirah come to realize about her father as she gets older?
6. What is Daniel's relation to Sir Hugo Mallinger?
7. What does Daniel tell Sir Hugo about Grandcourt's reaction to the proposed settlement?
8. What important financial news does Grandcourt make Lush tell Gwendolyn?
9. How do the Cohens react when Daniel and Mordecai tell them that Mordecai will be leaving them to go live with his long-lost sister?
10. Where does Mordecai take Daniel before he tells him his life story?
Essay Topic 1
Gwendolyn has a pattern of convincing herself out of responsibility for certain actions, as well from choices she makes that have negative or harsh consequences. Given that pattern of hers, discuss why Gwendolyn is actually completely at fault for Grandcourt's death, using the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Using supporting text from the book, write a well-reasoned essay discussing whether the character of Gwendolyn is capable of loving anyone.
Essay Topic 3
While Gwendolyn is clearly her mother's favorite child, she reacts very apologetically if she ever hurts her mother's feelings or disobeys her. Discuss what a minimum of two of those types of interactions show the reader about Gwendolyn's character, as well as that of Franny's.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)