|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Daniel pawn a ring with Ezra Cohen?
2. What does Grandcourt tell Gwendolyn upon arriving home after being married?
3. Who is Catherine?
4. How does Gwendolyn react to Grandcourt's offer to put her jacket on her after the ball?
5. What socially awkward topic does Gwendolyn ask Mrs. Davilow about after she is engaged?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Davilow think that Gwendolyn must leave home and get a job?
2. What does Mirah come to realize about her father as she gets older?
3. In contrast to what she originally believed, what does Mirah quickly learn about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
4. What is Daniel's relation to Sir Hugo Mallinger?
5. What does Grandcourt think that he needs to do in order to gain Gwendolyn's forgiveness as he learns that Gwendolyn has left town before he has had the opportunity to propose?
6. Why is Anna a little disappointed to hear of Gwendolyn's engagement?
7. What happens when Rex tries to go hunting with Gwendolyn?
8. Why is Mr. Lush against the idea of marriage between Gwendolyn and Grandcourt?
9. Why does Gwendolyn react coldly when Grandcourt tells her that he is going out of town shortly after their engagement?
10. For what reason does Daniel visit Grandcourt after he becomes engaged?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Fanny has a complicated role in the novel. Using three specific examples of her actions, write an essay discussing why she is a respectable person; or why she is not a respectable person.
Essay Topic 2
Using supporting text from the book, write a well-reasoned essay discussing whether the character of Gwendolyn is capable of loving anyone.
Essay Topic 3
While Gwendolyn is clearly her mother's favorite child, she reacts very apologetically if she ever hurts her mother's feelings or disobeys her. Discuss what a minimum of two of those types of interactions show the reader about Gwendolyn's character, as well as that of Franny's.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)