|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gwendolyn first feel about the idea of a proposal that is expected to come from Grandcourt?
2. What does Daniel do upon seeing Gwendolyn for the first time that bothers her so much?
3. What does Gwendolyn's uncle think of the waltz?
4. Who is Catherine?
5. Where is Mirah when she decides to run away from her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mirah believe about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
2. Why is Gwendolyn hesitant to talk to Daniel while she is staying at the Abbey?
3. What does Grandcourt think that he needs to do in order to gain Gwendolyn's forgiveness as he learns that Gwendolyn has left town before he has had the opportunity to propose?
4. How does Gwendolyn react when she enters her family's new rented house in Offendene?
5. How does Gwendolyn react to Grandcourt being upset about how she conducts herself around Daniel?
6. How does Lydia react when Grandcourt asks her to return his diamonds?
7. Before she confides in him, what does Daniel surmise about Gwendolyn's knowledge of Lydia?
8. What does Mordecai predict will happen after Mirah first gives her father money?
9. What does Joseph Kalonymos talk to Daniel about before he hands over the family chest?
10. How does Mirah Lapidoth introduce herself to Mrs. Meyrick?
Essay Topic 1
Using supporting text from the book, write an essay discussing whether Gwendolyn should have married Grandcourt.
Essay Topic 2
Using supporting text from the book, write a well-reasoned essay discussing whether the character of Gwendolyn is capable of loving anyone.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the parenting styles of Gwendolyn's mother with those of Daniel's mother. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your essay.
This section contains 1,491 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)