|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the name, "Ezra", significant in the book?
2. Who is Anna?
3. How does Gwendolyn perceive Daniel for the first time?
4. Why is Herr Klesmer hesitant to confess his love for Catherine?
5. Which two characters does Daniel come to realize to be living together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter that Gwendolyn receives on the night she gambles say?
2. What are the two reasons that Gwendolyn regrets losing her money gambling?
3. Why is Mr. Lush against the idea of marriage between Gwendolyn and Grandcourt?
4. Why is Anna a little disappointed to hear of Gwendolyn's engagement?
5. What does Gwendolyn request of Grandcourt during their conversation about getting married?
6. How does Gwendolyn feel about Grandcourt after the ball?
7. Why does Mrs. Davilow think that Gwendolyn must leave home and get a job?
8. What happens when Rex tries to go hunting with Gwendolyn?
9. What does Anna think that her life will be like when Rex is first mentioned in the novel?
10. How does Hans Meyrick's family feel about Daniel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Fanny has a complicated role in the novel. Using three specific examples of her actions, write an essay discussing why she is a respectable person; or why she is not a respectable person.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific text throughout your essay, compare and contrast the characters of Anna and Gwendolyn.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the parenting styles of Gwendolyn's mother with those of Daniel's mother. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your essay.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)