|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many younger sisters does Gwendolyn have?
2. Which of the following is the only dance that Gwendolyn says that she will dance at the ball soon after she meets Grandcourt?
3. Where is Daniel supposed to travel with Sir Hugo soon after he finds Mirah at the river?
4. What does Ezra Cohen do for a living?
5. Where is Mirah when she decides to run away from her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daniel tell Sir Hugo about Grandcourt's reaction to the proposed settlement?
2. Why is Anna a little disappointed to hear of Gwendolyn's engagement?
3. What does the letter that Lydia includes in the package with the diamonds that she sends to Gwendolyn say?
4. What is Anna like in comparison to Gwendolyn once they reach their mid-twenties?
5. What does Anna think that her life will be like when Rex is first mentioned in the novel?
6. For what reason does Daniel visit Grandcourt after he becomes engaged?
7. How does Mrs. Davilow respond to Gwendolyn's question about illegitimate children?
8. How does Lydia react when Grandcourt asks her to return his diamonds?
9. How does Mirah Lapidoth introduce herself to Mrs. Meyrick?
10. What is Daniel's relation to Sir Hugo Mallinger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three reasons why a female author would write under a male pen name and what influence if any, the reasons would have on the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the parenting styles of Gwendolyn's mother with those of Daniel's mother. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Select a character from the list below. Then examine three major choices that the character made in the play, and what those choices reveal to the reader about that him or her.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)