|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What specific advice does Grandcourt give Gwendolyn while at the Abbey?
(a) That she is "too beautiful to exist on Earth".
(b) That the ideas in her head "must be swept away, like dust under a rug".
(c) That she will "fill her place properly".
(d) That she must "act more like a woman".
2. What kind remark does Gwendolyn make to Daniel before she leaves the Abbey?
(a) That she hopes he has a happy, joyful, and rich life.
(b) That she wishes her husband were more like him.
(c) That she is going to name her baby after him.
(d) That her life has been better for having known him.
3. How does Daniel learn about Lydia?
(a) From reading about her in the paper.
(b) From another guest at his uncle's home.
(c) From gossip that he overhears on the street.
(d) Directy from Grandcourt.
4. Why does Mirah dress in her poorest dress as she prepares to meet her brother?
(a) All of the answer choices are correct.
(b) Because she does not want to make her brother uncomfortable.
(c) Out of deference.
(d) Because she knows her that her brother does not have any money.
5. How does Gwendolyn explain her reaction to receiving the package from Lydia?
(a) She was just stressed out.
(b) She was suffering with influenza.
(c) She was having a coughing fit.
(d) She was upset by something that she had read in her romance novel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daniel think about Gwendolyn's dependence on him after Grandcourt dies?
2. What does Mirah realize about Mordecai when she first sees him?
3. What is Daniel's mother's full name?
4. What does Daniel learn about his father?
5. Whom does Grandcourt make fun of to Gwendolyn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mordecai say about the Mrs. Cohen's older daughter when Daniel first asks about her?
2. How do the Cohens react when Daniel and Mordecai tell them that Mordecai will be leaving them to go live with his long-lost sister?
3. What does Grandcourt suspect about the package of diamonds that Gwendolyn has received?
4. What does Sir Hugo confess to Daniel about his reason for keeping Daniel's parentage in secret for so long?
5. Before she confides in him, what does Daniel surmise about Gwendolyn's knowledge of Lydia?
6. How does Rex react to the news that Gwendolyn's husband has drowned?
7. Why had Daniel's mother marry so quickly?
8. What does Joseph Kalonymos talk to Daniel about before he hands over the family chest?
9. What does Daniel tell his mother when he first sees her?
10. Why did Mordecai's mother share a special bonded with his younger sister?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)