|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Reverend Gascoigne the truth about Grandcourt's will?
(c) Sir Hugo.
(d) The lawyer.
2. Who is Jacob?
(a) Daniel's younger brother.
(b) Lydia's illegitimate son.
(c) The youngster who lives with Mordecai.
(d) Daniel's long-lost cousin.
3. What led Daniel's mother to marry the man who is now her husband?
(a) A fortuneteller's advice.
(d) Her fear that something was wrong with her voice.
4. Who gives Daniel the letter from his mother?
(a) The mailman.
(b) Sir Hugo.
(d) A messenger.
5. Why does Hans have a drawing of Rex with him when he visits Daniel?
(a) Because he is trying to find the man in the picture.
(b) Because he found it on the front step when he came to visit.
(c) Because he bought it at a bazaar.
(d) Because he drew it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Daniel's mother want to meet him?
2. Where does Herr Klesmer first hear Mirah sing?
3. Whom does Hans confess to have fallen in love with to Daniel?
4. How does Eliot make it clear that Rex has gotten over Gwendolyn?
5. Who does Mrs. Meyrick report as being happier since Hans' arrival?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grandcourt suspect about the package of diamonds that Gwendolyn has received?
2. Where does Mordecai take Daniel before he tells him his life story?
3. What does Sir Hugo confess to Daniel about his reason for keeping Daniel's parentage in secret for so long?
4. Before she confides in him, what does Daniel surmise about Gwendolyn's knowledge of Lydia?
5. What does Mordecai say about the Mrs. Cohen's older daughter when Daniel first asks about her?
6. How does Daniel's mother misrepresent Daniel's identity to her servants?
7. What advice does Daniel give Gwendolyn when she asks what to do if someone has wronged someone else?
8. What does Daniel tell his mother when he first sees her?
9. Why had Daniel's mother marry so quickly?
10. What does Daniel's mother tell him about her heritage?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)