|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is also in the room when Mordecai tells his life story to Daniel?
(a) A reporter who is chronicling their story.
(b) Gwendolyn, although no one knows that she is there.
(c) No one.
2. Where does Herr invite Mirah to sing?
(a) At the opera.
(b) At a private concert at his home.
(c) All of the answer choices are correct.
(d) At the weddings he conducts.
3. Who tells Reverend Gascoigne the truth about Grandcourt's will?
(a) Sir Hugo.
(c) The lawyer.
4. Who is Joseph Kalonymos?
(a) The messenger who informs Daniel that his mother is ready to meet with him.
(b) Joseph Kalonymos is actually not a character in this novel.
(c) A friend of Daniel's grandfather.
(d) Daniel's new stepfather.
5. Why did Daniel's mother not want a child?
(a) She was impregnated by way of an affair.
(b) She did not want to be tied down.
(c) She felt that she was too young to become a mother.
(d) She would have been outcast.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Abbey?
2. What does Daniel come to think about Lydia?
3. Who does Daniel request help from in opening and translating the chest?
4. What does Daniel think about Gwendolyn's dependence on him after Grandcourt dies?
5. Who eventually tells Daniel that Gwendolyn knows about Lydia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gwendolyn keep up public appearances that her marriage is a happy one?
2. What does Daniel tell his mother when he first sees her?
3. What does Grandcourt tell Gwendolyn about finances?
4. What kind of wedding ceremony do Daniel and Mirah have?
5. Why is Gwendolyn hesitant to talk to Daniel while she is staying at the Abbey?
6. How do the Cohens react when Daniel and Mordecai tell them that Mordecai will be leaving them to go live with his long-lost sister?
7. As their marriage sours, what does Grandcourt tell Gwendolyn in relation to Lush dining with them?
8. What does Sir Hugo confess to Daniel about his reason for keeping Daniel's parentage in secret for so long?
9. How does Daniel's mother misrepresent Daniel's identity to her servants?
10. Why does Daniel think that Hans' love for Mirah will not result in a long-lasting relationship?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)