|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gwendolyn request after speaking to Lydia Glasher for the first time?
(a) To have a private investigator follow Glasher to see what she is really doing.
(b) To have the woman arrested.
(c) To be taken to a doctor.
(d) To leave the archery event early.
2. What does Mrs. Davilow claim to have learned about Daniels' mother?
(a) That she was "some foreigner of high rank".
(b) That she was a very famous actress.
(c) That she was murdered by someone she knew -- possibly Daniel's father.
(d) That she was destitute.
3. What does Mordecai ask Daniel when they first meet one another?
(a) Whether he is very rich.
(b) Whether he is an immigrant.
(c) Whether he is Jewish.
(d) Whether he is married.
4. From whom does Grandcourt learn where Gwendolyn has actually traveled?
(a) Daniel Deronda.
(b) Lydia Glasher.
(c) Sir Hugo Mallinger.
(d) Gwendolyn herself (in a letter).
5. What do Catherine's parents threaten to do if she marries Herr Klesmer?
(a) Disown her.
(b) Have him killed.
(c) Have her killed.
(d) Move her away to the countryside, away from all of her friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gwendolyn think that she must do if she is going to win spectacularly?
2. What does Gwendolyn notice about Grandcourt during the ball?
3. What do the Arrowpoints hope that Grandcourt will do when he arrives in town?
4. What relationship does Ezra first claim to have with Mordecai?
5. According to Mrs. Davilow, what two options are available as a profession for Gwendolyn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grandcourt think that he needs to do in order to gain Gwendolyn's forgiveness as he learns that Gwendolyn has left town before he has had the opportunity to propose?
2. What is the main reason behind Lydia's desire to marry Grandcourt?
3. What does the letter that Gwendolyn receives on the night she gambles say?
4. What does Mirah believe about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
5. How does Lydia react when Grandcourt asks her to return his diamonds?
6. How does Gwendolyn feel about Grandcourt after the ball?
7. How does Mirah Lapidoth introduce herself to Mrs. Meyrick?
8. Why is Anna a little disappointed to hear of Gwendolyn's engagement?
9. How does Rex react to Gwendolyn's rebuff of his confession of love?
10. How does Mrs. Davilow respond to Gwendolyn's question about illegitimate children?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)