|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grandcourt assure Lydia of after he tells her that he has become engaged to Gwendolyn?
(a) That he will continue to take care of her and the children.
(b) That he really wishes that he were engaged to her instead.
(c) That she must now address him as a boss and not a lover.
(d) That he will never see her again.
2. What does Daniel do upon seeing Gwendolyn for the first time that bothers her so much?
(a) Makes her bow to him.
(b) Asks for her hand in marriage.
(c) Tells her that she looks fat in her dress.
(d) Stares at her.
3. What does Ezra Cohen do for a living?
(a) He is a shop owner.
(b) He is the town mayor.
(c) He is a famous painter who lives like a hermit.
(d) He is the town baker.
4. Who is Anna?
(a) Reverend Gascoigne's wife.
(b) Gwendolyn's friend who lives very far away.
(c) Daughter of Reverend and Mrs. Gascoigne.
(d) Cousin of Mrs. Gascoigne.
5. With whom has Gwendolyn come to the city to gamble?
(b) No one.
(c) Some extended family members.
(d) Her boyfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gwendolyn's family move when she returns from her gambling trip?
2. How does Gwendolyn sell her necklace the morning that she leaves the gambling town?
3. What club does Gwendolyn join with Reverend Gascoigne?
4. How quickly does Grandcourt want to get married to Gwendolyn once she accepts his proposal?
5. Why does Gwendolyn say that she cannot dance with Grandcourt at the ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter that Lydia includes in the package with the diamonds that she sends to Gwendolyn say?
2. Why is Anna a little disappointed to hear of Gwendolyn's engagement?
3. How does Gwendolyn react when she enters her family's new rented house in Offendene?
4. What does the letter that Gwendolyn receives on the night she gambles say?
5. What does Daniel tell Sir Hugo about Grandcourt's reaction to the proposed settlement?
6. What are the two reasons that Gwendolyn regrets losing her money gambling?
7. Why does Gwendolyn think that her family will travel abroad after she leaves Grandcourt before he can propose?
8. How does Mrs. Davilow respond to Gwendolyn's question about illegitimate children?
9. What does Grandcourt think that he needs to do in order to gain Gwendolyn's forgiveness as he learns that Gwendolyn has left town before he has had the opportunity to propose?
10. What happens when Rex tries to go hunting with Gwendolyn?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)