|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Reverend Gascoigne think that Gwendolyn should do if and when Grandcourt proposes?
(a) Accept the proposal.
(b) Turn down the proposal.
(c) Tell him that she needs time to think about it so she that doesn't seem too eager.
(d) Tell him that he must ask for Rev. Gascoigne's permission first.
2. How does Daniel feel about gambling?
(a) He finds it incredibly boring.
(b) He used to be addicted to it, so he cannot play anymore.
(c) He is currently addicted to it, and is heavily in debt.
(d) He does not enjoy it because his win is someone else's loss.
3. How does Gwendolyn feel about gambling?
(a) That it is a great way for her to show off and gain admirers.
(b) That the wins and losses are no different than every day life.
(c) That she could do it professionally if only women were allowed to gamble.
(d) That it is a great thrill and one she misses dearly.
4. Why is the name, "Ezra", significant in the book?
(a) It is the name of Daniel's lost brother.
(b) It is the name of Mirah's lost brother.
(c) It is the name of a boy who has a crush on Mirah.
(d) It is the name of a messenger boy who works for Daniel.
5. What does Mordecai ask Daniel when they first meet one another?
(a) Whether he is very rich.
(b) Whether he is Jewish.
(c) Whether he is an immigrant.
(d) Whether he is married.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hotel does Mr. Lush settle his "mystery guest" in as Grandcourt is preparing to propose to Gwendolyn?
2. What club does Gwendolyn join with Reverend Gascoigne?
3. What does Mirah's father teach her when she is young?
4. How quickly does Grandcourt want to get married to Gwendolyn once she accepts his proposal?
5. How does Lydia react to the news that Grandcourt is engaged?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gwendolyn react when she receives her pawned necklace supposedly from Daniel?
2. What does Mirah believe about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
3. Why is Anna a little disappointed to hear of Gwendolyn's engagement?
4. How does Lydia react when Grandcourt asks her to return his diamonds?
5. What does the letter that Gwendolyn receives on the night she gambles say?
6. How does Rex react to Gwendolyn's rebuff of his confession of love?
7. What are the two reasons that Gwendolyn regrets losing her money gambling?
8. Why does Mr. Lush encourage Grandcourt to seek Catherine Arrowpoint's favor?
9. What does Daniel tell his uncle right after he finds the girl at the river?
10. How does Mirah Lapidoth introduce herself to Mrs. Meyrick?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)