|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mirah's father teach her when she is young?
2. Who greets Grandcourt when he goes calling to Gwendolyn's house the day after she meets Lydia Glasher?
(a) Gwendolyn's mother.
(b) No one; no one is home.
(c) The Reverend.
(d) Gwendolyn herself; she is alone at home.
3. What does Gwendolyn notice about Grandcourt during the ball?
(a) That he keeps leaving the room and returning.
(b) That he is watching her often.
(c) That he keeps tripping whenever she gets close.
(d) That he is paying attention to every other girl at the ball but her.
4. How does Gwendolyn's mother feel about the possibility of Gwendolyn marrying Grandcourt?
(a) That it is a horrible mistake.
(b) That he will make Gwendolyn as happy as any other man whom she is likely to marry.
(c) That Gwendolyn should refuse him on principle so that he asks again and offers the family more money.
(d) That Grandcourt is making a mistake, even though it would be good for Gwendolyn.
5. What do the Arrowpoints hope that Grandcourt will do when he arrives in town?
(a) Choose Catherine to be his bride.
(b) Choose Lucinda to be his bride.
(c) Choose Anna to be his bride.
(d) Choose Gwendolyn to be his bride.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rex tell Anna that he is going to do after he is rebuffed by her?
2. Why does Gwendolyn say that she cannot dance with Grandcourt at the ball?
3. What does Reverend Gascoigne think that Gwendolyn should do if and when Grandcourt proposes?
4. What does Ezra Cohen do for a living?
5. What does Gwendolyn plan to do with the money that she gets from her necklace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Lush encourage Grandcourt to seek Catherine Arrowpoint's favor?
2. How does Mrs. Davilow respond to Gwendolyn's question about illegitimate children?
3. What does Daniel tell his uncle right after he finds the girl at the river?
4. What is Daniel's relation to Sir Hugo Mallinger?
5. What does Gwendolyn request of Grandcourt during their conversation about getting married?
6. What is Anna like in comparison to Gwendolyn once they reach their mid-twenties?
7. How does Gwendolyn react when she receives her pawned necklace supposedly from Daniel?
8. What does Lydia Glasher tell Gwendolyn when they first meet?
9. How does Hans Meyrick's family feel about Daniel?
10. What does Mirah come to realize about her father as she gets older?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)