|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gwendolyn's mother feel about the possibility of Gwendolyn marrying Grandcourt?
(a) That he will make Gwendolyn as happy as any other man whom she is likely to marry.
(b) That Grandcourt is making a mistake, even though it would be good for Gwendolyn.
(c) That it is a horrible mistake.
(d) That Gwendolyn should refuse him on principle so that he asks again and offers the family more money.
2. What does Gwendolyn tell Grandcourt right after she meets Lydia Glasher?
(a) That she wants to get married that very night.
(b) That he can visit her the next day.
(c) That he is a lying cheat.
(d) That she never wants to see him again.
3. How does Lydia react to the news that Grandcourt is engaged?
(a) She becomes depressed instantly.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is sad.
4. How does Grandcourt ask permission to visit Gwendolyn from her after he arrives in Offendene?
(a) In person.
(b) By sending Mr. Lush, who purposely arrives late.
(c) By messenger.
(d) By letter.
5. What is the reason that Mrs. Davilow tells Gwendolyn that they are not going to be traveling or moving abroad?
(a) She is getting too old and feeble.
(b) It is too dangerous to do that with the war going on.
(c) She is tired of catering to Gwendolyn's every desire.
(d) They do not have the money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the name, "Ezra", significant in the book?
2. What causes Gwendolyn's winning gambling streak to end when the novel first opens?
3. Where does Daniel first encounter Mordecai?
4. What item(s) does Grandcourt request from Lydia once he becomes engaged to Gwendolyn?
5. How does Gwendolyn first feel about the idea of a proposal that is expected to come from Grandcourt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grandcourt think that he needs to do in order to gain Gwendolyn's forgiveness as he learns that Gwendolyn has left town before he has had the opportunity to propose?
2. Why does Mrs. Davilow think that Gwendolyn must leave home and get a job?
3. How does Gwendolyn react when she receives her pawned necklace supposedly from Daniel?
4. For what reason does Daniel visit Grandcourt after he becomes engaged?
5. What are the two reasons that Gwendolyn regrets losing her money gambling?
6. Why does Mr. Lush encourage Grandcourt to seek Catherine Arrowpoint's favor?
7. What does Mirah believe about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
8. How does Gwendolyn react when she enters her family's new rented house in Offendene?
9. How does Lydia react when Grandcourt asks her to return his diamonds?
10. How does Hans Meyrick's family feel about Daniel?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)