|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Mirah when she decides to run away from her father?
2. Why does Gwendolyn say that she cannot dance with Grandcourt at the ball?
(a) Because her card is already filled.
(b) Because she does not like him.
(c) Because she is too embarassed to be seen dancing with him.
(d) Because her ankle is sore.
3. Who arranges housing for Gwendolyn and her family upon her return from her gambling trip?
(a) An aunt and uncle.
(b) The government.
(c) Gwendolyn herself.
4. Who is Herr Klesmer?
(a) A music teacher.
(b) The town mayor.
(c) The town baker.
(d) A famous professor.
5. Where does Gwendolyn tell her mother that she is going the day after she meets Lydia Glasher?
(a) To the hospital.
(b) On her honeymoon.
(c) To join friends in Dover.
(d) No one knows; she just disappears from everyone's sight.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom has Gwendolyn come to the city to gamble?
2. How does Gwendolyn first feel about the idea of a proposal that is expected to come from Grandcourt?
3. What does Ezra Cohen do for a living?
4. What does Grandcourt assure Lydia of after he tells her that he has become engaged to Gwendolyn?
5. From whom does Grandcourt learn where Gwendolyn has actually traveled?
Short Essay Questions
1. In contrast to what she originally believed, what does Mirah quickly learn about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
2. Why is Anna a little disappointed to hear of Gwendolyn's engagement?
3. How does Gwendolyn react when she enters her family's new rented house in Offendene?
4. How does Lydia react when Grandcourt asks her to return his diamonds?
5. What is Daniel's relation to Sir Hugo Mallinger?
6. What are the two reasons that Gwendolyn regrets losing her money gambling?
7. For what reason does Daniel visit Grandcourt after he becomes engaged?
8. What is Anna like in comparison to Gwendolyn once they reach their mid-twenties?
9. What does Mrs. Meyrick believe about Mirah when she takes her in?
10. What does Daniel tell Sir Hugo about Grandcourt's reaction to the proposed settlement?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)