|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gwendolyn plan to do with the money that she gets from her necklace?
(a) Pay off her debts.
(b) Buy fancy new dresses.
(c) Gamble just one more day.
(d) Pay for her trip back home.
2. How does Herr Klesmer respond when he hears Gwendolyn perform?
(a) He proposes to her on the spot.
(b) He is condescending.
(c) He has to leave because he is so embarrassed for her.
(d) He is amazed at her talents.
3. Who does the reader learn raised Grandcourt like a son?
(a) Lydia Glasher.
(b) The Reverend.
(d) Sir Hugo Mallinger.
4. What does Gwendolyn request after speaking to Lydia Glasher for the first time?
(a) To leave the archery event early.
(b) To have a private investigator follow Glasher to see what she is really doing.
(c) To have the woman arrested.
(d) To be taken to a doctor.
5. What socially awkward topic does Gwendolyn ask Mrs. Davilow about after she is engaged?
(a) Having an affair.
(b) Getting a divorce.
(c) Illegitimate children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Herr Klesmer?
2. What is the dance that Gwendolyn states that she will not dance at the ball soon after she meets Grandcourt?
3. What personal items does Gwendolyn give to her mother so that she can sell them and earn extra money?
4. Who is Rex?
5. Why is Herr Klesmer hesitant to confess his love for Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lydia Glasher tell Gwendolyn when they first meet?
2. What does Grandcourt suspect about the package of diamonds that Gwendolyn has received?
3. What happens when Rex tries to go hunting with Gwendolyn?
4. How does Gwendolyn react when she receives her pawned necklace supposedly from Daniel?
5. What kind of wedding ceremony do Daniel and Mirah have?
6. What is Anna like in comparison to Gwendolyn once they reach their mid-twenties?
7. How does Hans Meyrick's family feel about Daniel?
8. What does Grandcourt think that he needs to do in order to gain Gwendolyn's forgiveness as he learns that Gwendolyn has left town before he has had the opportunity to propose?
9. How does Gwendolyn feel about Grandcourt after the ball?
10. What does Daniel's mother tell him about her heritage?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)