|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Grandcourt first sent away to school?
2. With whom has Gwendolyn come to the city to gamble?
(a) No one.
(b) Some extended family members.
(c) Her boyfriend.
3. According to Mrs. Davilow, what two options are available as a profession for Gwendolyn?
(a) Being a nurse in a hosptial or a nun in a church.
(b) Being a painter in a museum or a singer in a choir.
(c) Being a teacher in a school or a governess to a family.
(d) Being a teacher in a university or a professor at an all-girls school.
4. Why does Herr tell Gwendolyn that she cannot count on Catherine as a patron?
(a) Because Catherine has found out about Gwendolyn having gossiped about her.
(b) Because her parents have disowned her.
(c) Because she is too jealous of their engagement.
(d) Because Gwendolyn is now too poor for them to associate with her.
5. What does Grandcourt assure Lydia of after he tells her that he has become engaged to Gwendolyn?
(a) That he will never see her again.
(b) That he will continue to take care of her and the children.
(c) That he really wishes that he were engaged to her instead.
(d) That she must now address him as a boss and not a lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Herr Klesmer hesitant to confess his love for Catherine?
2. What do the Arrowpoints hope that Grandcourt will do when he arrives in town?
3. Which of the following is the only dance that Gwendolyn says that she will dance at the ball soon after she meets Grandcourt?
4. What does Mirah's father teach her when she is young?
5. Who tells Sir Hugo about the engagement between Gwendolyn and Grandcourt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lydia react when Grandcourt asks her to return his diamonds?
2. What does Mirah come to realize about her father as she gets older?
3. What does Daniel tell his uncle right after he finds the girl at the river?
4. What is Anna like in comparison to Gwendolyn once they reach their mid-twenties?
5. Why is Mr. Lush against the idea of marriage between Gwendolyn and Grandcourt?
6. What does Lydia Glasher tell Gwendolyn when they first meet?
7. Why does Mr. Lush encourage Grandcourt to seek Catherine Arrowpoint's favor?
8. What does Daniel tell Sir Hugo about Grandcourt's reaction to the proposed settlement?
9. What happens when Rex tries to go hunting with Gwendolyn?
10. What does Gwendolyn request of Grandcourt during their conversation about getting married?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)