|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gwendolyn think that she must do if she is going to win spectacularly?
(a) Also lose spectacularly.
(b) Pretend to faint so that she can leave without paying.
(c) Pray harder and longer at night.
(d) Pay money to a fortune teller.
2. What causes Gwendolyn's winning gambling streak to end when the novel first opens?
(a) Her winning streak does not end.
(b) She is jarred by Daniel's presence.
(c) Her lucky charm is stolen.
(d) Someone takes her lucky dice.
3. According to Mrs. Davilow, what two options are available as a profession for Gwendolyn?
(a) Being a teacher in a school or a governess to a family.
(b) Being a painter in a museum or a singer in a choir.
(c) Being a nurse in a hosptial or a nun in a church.
(d) Being a teacher in a university or a professor at an all-girls school.
4. What promise does Daniel make to Mirah in relation to finding her family?
(a) That he will help her as much as he can.
(b) That she does not need to look for them, because he will always take care of her.
(c) That he will always be honest.
(d) That he will keep her identity hidden from them if they ever come looking for her.
5. What does Daniel give Mrs. Meyrick for Mirah?
(a) The use of his nice big house.
(b) A book to read.
(c) A locket.
(d) Money for her food and lodging.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gwendolyn's uncle think of the waltz?
2. Who tells Sir Hugo about the engagement between Gwendolyn and Grandcourt?
3. How does Gwendolyn react to Grandcourt's offer to put her jacket on her after the ball?
4. How does Gwendolyn's mother feel about the possibility of Gwendolyn marrying Grandcourt?
5. What does Rex tell Anna that he is going to do after he is rebuffed by her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gwendolyn react when she receives her pawned necklace supposedly from Daniel?
2. What does the letter that Lydia includes in the package with the diamonds that she sends to Gwendolyn say?
3. What does Daniel tell his uncle right after he finds the girl at the river?
4. What does the letter that Gwendolyn receives on the night she gambles say?
5. How does Lydia react when Grandcourt asks her to return his diamonds?
6. How does Rex react to Gwendolyn's rebuff of his confession of love?
7. Why does Gwendolyn react coldly when Grandcourt tells her that he is going out of town shortly after their engagement?
8. What is Anna like in comparison to Gwendolyn once they reach their mid-twenties?
9. Why is Anna a little disappointed to hear of Gwendolyn's engagement?
10. What does Grandcourt think that he needs to do in order to gain Gwendolyn's forgiveness as he learns that Gwendolyn has left town before he has had the opportunity to propose?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)