|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gwendolyn's first impression of Mr. Lush?
(a) That he is very ugly but possibly very rich.
(b) That he is humble and very kind.
(c) She dislikes him.
(d) That he is handsome.
2. How does Herr Klesmer respond when he hears Gwendolyn perform?
(a) He has to leave because he is so embarrassed for her.
(b) He is condescending.
(c) He proposes to her on the spot.
(d) He is amazed at her talents.
3. What does Grandcourt assure Lydia of after he tells her that he has become engaged to Gwendolyn?
(a) That he will never see her again.
(b) That she must now address him as a boss and not a lover.
(c) That he really wishes that he were engaged to her instead.
(d) That he will continue to take care of her and the children.
4. Where do Gwendolyn and Grandcourt go once they are married?
(a) To Nice.
(b) To Paris.
(c) To London.
(d) To his estate at Ryelands.
5. How much time passes between the time that Grandcourt tells Mr. Lush that he would like to marry Gwendolyn and the time that he goes to her house to announce his intentions?
(a) Two days, because he knows that it is improper to visit on Sundays.
(b) One day.
(c) Quite a bit.
(d) Only a few minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relationship does Ezra first claim to have with Mordecai?
2. How does Lydia react to the news that Grandcourt is engaged?
3. What is the reason that Mrs. Davilow tells Gwendolyn that they are not going to be traveling or moving abroad?
4. With whom has Gwendolyn come to the city to gamble?
5. What is the dance that Gwendolyn states that she will not dance at the ball soon after she meets Grandcourt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gwendolyn feel about Grandcourt after the ball?
2. How does Hans Meyrick's family feel about Daniel?
3. How does Mrs. Davilow respond to Gwendolyn's question about illegitimate children?
4. What does Daniel tell his uncle right after he finds the girl at the river?
5. How does Rex react to Gwendolyn's rebuff of his confession of love?
6. Why does Mr. Lush encourage Grandcourt to seek Catherine Arrowpoint's favor?
7. What does Gwendolyn request of Grandcourt during their conversation about getting married?
8. Why does Gwendolyn think that her family will travel abroad after she leaves Grandcourt before he can propose?
9. How does Gwendolyn react when she enters her family's new rented house in Offendene?
10. What does the letter that Gwendolyn receives on the night she gambles say?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)