|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom does Grandcourt learn where Gwendolyn has actually traveled?
(a) Gwendolyn herself (in a letter).
(b) Daniel Deronda.
(c) Sir Hugo Mallinger.
(d) Lydia Glasher.
2. Where does Mirah's father take her on a trip at the time that she is at a very young age?
(a) To Australia.
(b) To China.
(c) To France.
(d) To America.
3. Why does Daniel find his mission of pawning a ring to Ezra unsatisfactory?
(a) Because Ezra figures out why he is really there.
(b) Because Ezra is not in the shop on the day that Daniel stops in.
(c) Because he does not learn what he wanted to learn.
(d) Because Ezra is not able to borrow the amount of money that he needs.
4. What does Herr Klesmer do for a living?
(a) His profession is not mentioned in the book.
(b) He is independently wealthy.
(c) All of the answer choices are correct.
(d) He is a musician.
5. How does Gwendolyn react to what Lydia Glasher tells her when they first meet?
(a) She remains cool and collected.
(b) She becomes furiously, violently angry.
(c) She bursts into tears and has to be taken to a doctor.
(d) She pretends not to understand English.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time passes between the time that Grandcourt tells Mr. Lush that he would like to marry Gwendolyn and the time that he goes to her house to announce his intentions?
2. What do the Arrowpoints hope that Grandcourt will do when he arrives in town?
3. According to Mrs. Davilow, what two options are available as a profession for Gwendolyn?
4. Why is Herr Klesmer hesitant to confess his love for Catherine?
5. What personal items does Gwendolyn give to her mother so that she can sell them and earn extra money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lydia Glasher tell Gwendolyn when they first meet?
2. How does Gwendolyn feel about Grandcourt after the ball?
3. Why does Gwendolyn react coldly when Grandcourt tells her that he is going out of town shortly after their engagement?
4. How does Rex react to Gwendolyn's rebuff of his confession of love?
5. Why is Anna a little disappointed to hear of Gwendolyn's engagement?
6. How does Hans Meyrick's family feel about Daniel?
7. In contrast to what she originally believed, what does Mirah quickly learn about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
8. What is Anna like in comparison to Gwendolyn once they reach their mid-twenties?
9. What does the letter that Lydia includes in the package with the diamonds that she sends to Gwendolyn say?
10. Why does Gwendolyn think that her family will travel abroad after she leaves Grandcourt before he can propose?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)