|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does Daniel make to Mirah in relation to finding her family?
(a) That he will keep her identity hidden from them if they ever come looking for her.
(b) That she does not need to look for them, because he will always take care of her.
(c) That he will always be honest.
(d) That he will help her as much as he can.
2. What does Ezra Cohen do for a living?
(a) He is a shop owner.
(b) He is the town mayor.
(c) He is a famous painter who lives like a hermit.
(d) He is the town baker.
3. How does Gwendolyn sell her necklace the morning that she leaves the gambling town?
(a) She sells it to a girl on the street.
(b) She sells it to the gambling house.
(c) She sells it to a man on the street.
(d) She sells it to a pawn shop.
4. What does Gwendolyn request after speaking to Lydia Glasher for the first time?
(a) To be taken to a doctor.
(b) To leave the archery event early.
(c) To have the woman arrested.
(d) To have a private investigator follow Glasher to see what she is really doing.
5. How does Daniel feel about gambling?
(a) He does not enjoy it because his win is someone else's loss.
(b) He finds it incredibly boring.
(c) He used to be addicted to it, so he cannot play anymore.
(d) He is currently addicted to it, and is heavily in debt.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gwendolyn first feel about the idea of a proposal that is expected to come from Grandcourt?
2. What club does Gwendolyn join with Reverend Gascoigne?
3. Why does Mirah run away from her father?
4. Following Catherine's announcement that she plans to marry Herr Klesmer, what do her parents do as soon as she leaves the room?
5. How does Gwendolyn perceive Daniel for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Rex tries to go hunting with Gwendolyn?
2. How does Gwendolyn react when she receives her pawned necklace supposedly from Daniel?
3. How does Lydia react when Grandcourt asks her to return his diamonds?
4. Why does Gwendolyn think that her family will travel abroad after she leaves Grandcourt before he can propose?
5. Why does Gwendolyn react coldly when Grandcourt tells her that he is going out of town shortly after their engagement?
6. How does Gwendolyn feel about Grandcourt after the ball?
7. What does Anna think that her life will be like when Rex is first mentioned in the novel?
8. Why is Mr. Lush against the idea of marriage between Gwendolyn and Grandcourt?
9. Why does Mrs. Davilow think that Gwendolyn must leave home and get a job?
10. What does the letter that Gwendolyn receives on the night she gambles say?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)