|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gwendolyn's family move when she returns from her gambling trip?
2. Following Catherine's announcement that she plans to marry Herr Klesmer, what do her parents do as soon as she leaves the room?
(a) Her mother faints; and her father punches a window out of anger.
(b) Call all of their friends and family because they are so happy about the engagement.
(c) Nothing; they do not talk, and pretend as though nothin happened.
(d) Discuss what they are going to do with their property.
3. Why does Gwendolyn have to leave the city and the gambling so suddenly?
(a) She is on the lam, and the police are after her.
(b) She is indebted to a lot of people.
(c) The train only leaves once a month, and she has to be on it.
(d) She receives a letter from her mother.
4. What is the reason that Mrs. Davilow tells Gwendolyn that they are not going to be traveling or moving abroad?
(a) They do not have the money.
(b) She is getting too old and feeble.
(c) It is too dangerous to do that with the war going on.
(d) She is tired of catering to Gwendolyn's every desire.
5. How does Gwendolyn's mother feel about the possibility of Gwendolyn marrying Grandcourt?
(a) That Grandcourt is making a mistake, even though it would be good for Gwendolyn.
(b) That it is a horrible mistake.
(c) That he will make Gwendolyn as happy as any other man whom she is likely to marry.
(d) That Gwendolyn should refuse him on principle so that he asks again and offers the family more money.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gwendolyn first feel about the idea of a proposal that is expected to come from Grandcourt?
2. Who is Mr. Lush?
3. Why does Gwendolyn say that she cannot dance with Grandcourt at the ball?
4. How does Daniel feel about gambling?
5. Why does Grandcourt expect Daniel to be jealous?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter that Lydia includes in the package with the diamonds that she sends to Gwendolyn say?
2. Why does Mr. Lush encourage Grandcourt to seek Catherine Arrowpoint's favor?
3. Why does Mrs. Davilow think that Gwendolyn must leave home and get a job?
4. Why is Anna a little disappointed to hear of Gwendolyn's engagement?
5. What is the main reason behind Lydia's desire to marry Grandcourt?
6. For what reason does Daniel visit Grandcourt after he becomes engaged?
7. What does Mrs. Meyrick believe about Mirah when she takes her in?
8. What does Daniel tell his uncle right after he finds the girl at the river?
9. What does Anna think that her life will be like when Rex is first mentioned in the novel?
10. What does Mirah come to realize about her father as she gets older?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)