|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Grandcourt first sent away to school?
2. What does Mordecai ask Daniel when they first meet one another?
(a) Whether he is an immigrant.
(b) Whether he is Jewish.
(c) Whether he is married.
(d) Whether he is very rich.
3. What item greatly upsets Gwendolyn at her first dinner at home with her new husband?
(a) A package from Lydia.
(b) A spoon with Lydia's initials.
(c) A dirty fork.
(d) A painting of Lydia that is hanging on the dining room wall.
4. Why does Daniel find his mission of pawning a ring to Ezra unsatisfactory?
(a) Because he does not learn what he wanted to learn.
(b) Because Ezra figures out why he is really there.
(c) Because Ezra is not able to borrow the amount of money that he needs.
(d) Because Ezra is not in the shop on the day that Daniel stops in.
5. How does Gwendolyn react to what Lydia Glasher tells her when they first meet?
(a) She pretends not to understand English.
(b) She becomes furiously, violently angry.
(c) She bursts into tears and has to be taken to a doctor.
(d) She remains cool and collected.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gwendolyn's uncle think of the waltz?
2. What is the dance that Gwendolyn states that she will not dance at the ball soon after she meets Grandcourt?
3. Where is Mirah when she decides to run away from her father?
4. What socially awkward topic does Gwendolyn ask Mrs. Davilow about after she is engaged?
5. How does Grandcourt ask permission to visit Gwendolyn from her after he arrives in Offendene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gwendolyn request of Grandcourt during their conversation about getting married?
2. For what reason does Daniel visit Grandcourt after he becomes engaged?
3. How does Mrs. Davilow respond to Gwendolyn's question about illegitimate children?
4. What does Daniel tell Sir Hugo about Grandcourt's reaction to the proposed settlement?
5. How does Mirah Lapidoth introduce herself to Mrs. Meyrick?
6. What is the main reason behind Lydia's desire to marry Grandcourt?
7. How does Gwendolyn react when she enters her family's new rented house in Offendene?
8. What does Mirah believe about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
9. How does Gwendolyn feel about Grandcourt after the ball?
10. How does Hans Meyrick's family feel about Daniel?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)