|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mrs. Davilow, what two options are available as a profession for Gwendolyn?
(a) Being a nurse in a hosptial or a nun in a church.
(b) Being a painter in a museum or a singer in a choir.
(c) Being a teacher in a school or a governess to a family.
(d) Being a teacher in a university or a professor at an all-girls school.
2. What does Mordecai ask Daniel when they first meet one another?
(a) Whether he is an immigrant.
(b) Whether he is very rich.
(c) Whether he is married.
(d) Whether he is Jewish.
3. How does Catherine feel about Herr Klesmer?
(a) She loves him a little bit and is unsure.
(b) She loves him madly and is obsessed with him to a point of being unhealthy.
(c) She really loves him very deeply.
(d) She doesn't like him, but thinks that she may grow to love him.
4. What does Grandcourt assure Lydia of after he tells her that he has become engaged to Gwendolyn?
(a) That she must now address him as a boss and not a lover.
(b) That he really wishes that he were engaged to her instead.
(c) That he will continue to take care of her and the children.
(d) That he will never see her again.
5. What do Catherine's parents threaten to do if she marries Herr Klesmer?
(a) Disown her.
(b) Have him killed.
(c) Move her away to the countryside, away from all of her friends.
(d) Have her killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hotel does Mr. Lush settle his "mystery guest" in as Grandcourt is preparing to propose to Gwendolyn?
2. Who arranges housing for Gwendolyn and her family upon her return from her gambling trip?
3. What is Mirah lacking when Daniel finds her?
4. Where does Daniel first encounter Mordecai?
5. Where does Mirah's father take her on a trip at the time that she is at a very young age?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hans Meyrick's family feel about Daniel?
2. What does the letter that Gwendolyn receives on the night she gambles say?
3. How does Mirah Lapidoth introduce herself to Mrs. Meyrick?
4. What happens when Rex tries to go hunting with Gwendolyn?
5. How does Gwendolyn react when she receives her pawned necklace supposedly from Daniel?
6. What is the main reason behind Lydia's desire to marry Grandcourt?
7. Why is Anna a little disappointed to hear of Gwendolyn's engagement?
8. What does Lydia Glasher tell Gwendolyn when they first meet?
9. In contrast to what she originally believed, what does Mirah quickly learn about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
10. What does Mirah believe about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)