|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Anna?
(a) Daughter of Reverend and Mrs. Gascoigne.
(b) Cousin of Mrs. Gascoigne.
(c) Reverend Gascoigne's wife.
(d) Gwendolyn's friend who lives very far away.
2. How does Daniel feel about gambling?
(a) He finds it incredibly boring.
(b) He used to be addicted to it, so he cannot play anymore.
(c) He does not enjoy it because his win is someone else's loss.
(d) He is currently addicted to it, and is heavily in debt.
3. Who is Mr. Lush?
(a) Grandcourt's assistant.
(b) Grandcourt's son.
(c) Grandcourt's cousin.
(d) Grandcourt's father.
4. What does Daniel do upon seeing Gwendolyn for the first time that bothers her so much?
(a) Tells her that she looks fat in her dress.
(b) Stares at her.
(c) Asks for her hand in marriage.
(d) Makes her bow to him.
5. How does Gwendolyn react to Grandcourt's offer to put her jacket on her after the ball?
(a) She gets too embarassed and leaves hurriedly -- without her coat.
(b) She snubs him.
(c) She accepts.
(d) She doesn't even bother looking at him for a response.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gwendolyn feel about gambling?
2. Why does Mirah run away from her father?
3. What club does Gwendolyn join with Reverend Gascoigne?
4. Why does Daniel pawn a ring with Ezra Cohen?
5. What socially awkward topic does Gwendolyn ask Mrs. Davilow about after she is engaged?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Anna a little disappointed to hear of Gwendolyn's engagement?
2. In contrast to what she originally believed, what does Mirah quickly learn about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
3. Why does Mr. Lush encourage Grandcourt to seek Catherine Arrowpoint's favor?
4. What does Mirah believe about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
5. How does Gwendolyn react when she enters her family's new rented house in Offendene?
6. What does Anna think that her life will be like when Rex is first mentioned in the novel?
7. What does Mirah come to realize about her father as she gets older?
8. What does Grandcourt think that he needs to do in order to gain Gwendolyn's forgiveness as he learns that Gwendolyn has left town before he has had the opportunity to propose?
9. What does Gwendolyn request of Grandcourt during their conversation about getting married?
10. Why does Mrs. Davilow think that Gwendolyn must leave home and get a job?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)