|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information does Lush discover about Gwendolyn's family while Grandcourt remains in Paris?
(a) That they are planning to kidnap and possibly kill Lush.
(b) That they are very, very wealthy.
(c) That they are fleeing from Grandcourt.
(d) That they are facing financial ruin.
2. Who arranges housing for Gwendolyn and her family upon her return from her gambling trip?
(a) Gwendolyn herself.
(b) The government.
(c) An aunt and uncle.
3. How does Gwendolyn sell her necklace the morning that she leaves the gambling town?
(a) She sells it to a man on the street.
(b) She sells it to a girl on the street.
(c) She sells it to a pawn shop.
(d) She sells it to the gambling house.
4. What does Gwendolyn tell Herr Klesmer that she wants to do in order to earn money for her family?
(a) Go onstage.
(b) Finally talk about the money that she has been hiding away.
(c) Sell all of her jewelry.
(d) Become a prostitute.
5. Who greets Grandcourt when he goes calling to Gwendolyn's house the day after she meets Lydia Glasher?
(a) The Reverend.
(b) Gwendolyn herself; she is alone at home.
(c) Gwendolyn's mother.
(d) No one; no one is home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Grandcourt first sent away to school?
2. What is the dance that Gwendolyn states that she will not dance at the ball soon after she meets Grandcourt?
3. How does Anna appear - at least on the outside - when she sees Gwendolyn and learns of her engagement?
4. In what job does Mrs. Davilow think Gwendolyn will be happiest?
5. How does Gwendolyn react to the confession by Rex that he loves her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lydia Glasher tell Gwendolyn when they first meet?
2. What does Mirah believe about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
3. What does Gwendolyn tell Sir Hugo about what Grandcourt has left her?
4. What does Grandcourt suspect about the package of diamonds that Gwendolyn has received?
5. Why had Daniel's mother marry so quickly?
6. How did Daniel's mother come to find out about him as an adult?
7. What does Sir Hugo think about Gwendolyn and Daniel after Grandcourt passes away?
8. What does Daniel tell Sir Hugo about Grandcourt's reaction to the proposed settlement?
9. Why is Anna a little disappointed to hear of Gwendolyn's engagement?
10. What does Mordecai say about the Mrs. Cohen's older daughter when Daniel first asks about her?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)