|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item greatly upsets Gwendolyn at her first dinner at home with her new husband?
(a) A spoon with Lydia's initials.
(b) A package from Lydia.
(c) A painting of Lydia that is hanging on the dining room wall.
(d) A dirty fork.
2. From whom does Grandcourt learn where Gwendolyn has actually traveled?
(a) Daniel Deronda.
(b) Sir Hugo Mallinger.
(c) Lydia Glasher.
(d) Gwendolyn herself (in a letter).
3. What does Gwendolyn tell Grandcourt right after she meets Lydia Glasher?
(a) That she wants to get married that very night.
(b) That he is a lying cheat.
(c) That she never wants to see him again.
(d) That he can visit her the next day.
4. What does Mrs. Davilow claim to have learned about Daniels' mother?
(a) That she was "some foreigner of high rank".
(b) That she was destitute.
(c) That she was murdered by someone she knew -- possibly Daniel's father.
(d) That she was a very famous actress.
5. What does Daniel think upon seeing Gwendolyn for the first time?
(a) That she is unique-looking.
(b) That she is simple, but would look better with make-up.
(c) That she looks resembles an old cousin of his.
(d) That she is really quite ugly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Gwendolyn's winning gambling streak to end when the novel first opens?
2. What does Gwendolyn think that she must do if she is going to win spectacularly?
3. What does Mirah's father teach her when she is young?
4. Who is Anna?
5. How does Gwendolyn sell her necklace the morning that she leaves the gambling town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daniel tell his uncle right after he finds the girl at the river?
2. Why does Mr. Lush encourage Grandcourt to seek Catherine Arrowpoint's favor?
3. What does the letter that Gwendolyn receives on the night she gambles say?
4. What does Grandcourt think that he needs to do in order to gain Gwendolyn's forgiveness as he learns that Gwendolyn has left town before he has had the opportunity to propose?
5. What are the two reasons that Gwendolyn regrets losing her money gambling?
6. How does Hans Meyrick's family feel about Daniel?
7. What does the letter that Lydia includes in the package with the diamonds that she sends to Gwendolyn say?
8. What happens when Rex tries to go hunting with Gwendolyn?
9. What does Mirah come to realize about her father as she gets older?
10. What does Mirah believe about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)