|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Davilow claim to have learned about Daniels' mother?
(a) That she was "some foreigner of high rank".
(b) That she was murdered by someone she knew -- possibly Daniel's father.
(c) That she was a very famous actress.
(d) That she was destitute.
2. What does Gwendolyn tell Grandcourt right after she meets Lydia Glasher?
(a) That she wants to get married that very night.
(b) That she never wants to see him again.
(c) That he can visit her the next day.
(d) That he is a lying cheat.
3. What is the reason that Mrs. Davilow tells Gwendolyn that they are not going to be traveling or moving abroad?
(a) They do not have the money.
(b) She is tired of catering to Gwendolyn's every desire.
(c) It is too dangerous to do that with the war going on.
(d) She is getting too old and feeble.
4. According to Mrs. Davilow, what two options are available as a profession for Gwendolyn?
(a) Being a nurse in a hosptial or a nun in a church.
(b) Being a teacher in a university or a professor at an all-girls school.
(c) Being a painter in a museum or a singer in a choir.
(d) Being a teacher in a school or a governess to a family.
5. What item(s) does Grandcourt request from Lydia once he becomes engaged to Gwendolyn?
(a) His family chest.
(c) A very expensive scarf that he had given Lydia at the time that they first met.
(d) His family Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gwendolyn plan to do with the money that she gets from her necklace?
2. What worry does Mrs. Gascoigne have about Gwendolyn when she first comes to town?
3. Who does Mrs. Davilow think is likely to be Daniels' father?
4. Why does Lush advise against Grandcourt proposing to Gwendolyn after Grandcourt arrives in Offendene from Paris?
5. What does Mirah's father teach her when she is young?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter that Lydia includes in the package with the diamonds that she sends to Gwendolyn say?
2. How does Mirah Lapidoth introduce herself to Mrs. Meyrick?
3. For what reason does Daniel visit Grandcourt after he becomes engaged?
4. What does Daniel tell Sir Hugo about Grandcourt's reaction to the proposed settlement?
5. In contrast to what she originally believed, what does Mirah quickly learn about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
6. What does Anna think that her life will be like when Rex is first mentioned in the novel?
7. What does Lydia Glasher tell Gwendolyn when they first meet?
8. How does Mrs. Davilow respond to Gwendolyn's question about illegitimate children?
9. What is Anna like in comparison to Gwendolyn once they reach their mid-twenties?
10. What are the two reasons that Gwendolyn regrets losing her money gambling?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)