|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Daniel find his mission of pawning a ring to Ezra unsatisfactory?
(a) Because Ezra figures out why he is really there.
(b) Because he does not learn what he wanted to learn.
(c) Because Ezra is not able to borrow the amount of money that he needs.
(d) Because Ezra is not in the shop on the day that Daniel stops in.
2. What worry does Mrs. Gascoigne have about Gwendolyn when she first comes to town?
(a) That one of her sons will fall in love with her.
(b) That she is not who she says she is.
(c) That she will steal from them.
(d) That she will not be able to marry well.
3. What animal does Gwendolyn want that Reverend Gascoigne cannot buy for his own daughter?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A horse.
(c) A kitten.
(d) A puppy.
4. What do Catherine's parents threaten to do if she marries Herr Klesmer?
(a) Move her away to the countryside, away from all of her friends.
(b) Disown her.
(c) Have him killed.
(d) Have her killed.
5. Who is Catherine?
(a) Mr. Arrowpoint's mistress.
(b) Mrs. Arrowpoint's daughter.
(c) A music teacher.
(d) A governness in town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gwendolyn request after speaking to Lydia Glasher for the first time?
2. How does Gwendolyn first feel about the idea of a proposal that is expected to come from Grandcourt?
3. How does Gwendolyn perceive Daniel for the first time?
4. How does Gwendolyn's mother feel about the possibility of Gwendolyn marrying Grandcourt?
5. What does Gwendolyn tell Grandcourt right after she meets Lydia Glasher?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mirah Lapidoth introduce herself to Mrs. Meyrick?
2. What does Mrs. Meyrick believe about Mirah when she takes her in?
3. What does Grandcourt think that he needs to do in order to gain Gwendolyn's forgiveness as he learns that Gwendolyn has left town before he has had the opportunity to propose?
4. How does Mrs. Davilow respond to Gwendolyn's question about illegitimate children?
5. Why is Anna a little disappointed to hear of Gwendolyn's engagement?
6. How does Gwendolyn feel about Grandcourt after the ball?
7. In contrast to what she originally believed, what does Mirah quickly learn about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
8. How does Gwendolyn react when she receives her pawned necklace supposedly from Daniel?
9. What is Daniel's relation to Sir Hugo Mallinger?
10. Why does Gwendolyn react coldly when Grandcourt tells her that he is going out of town shortly after their engagement?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)