|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Grandcourt expect Daniel to be jealous?
(a) Because he is inheriting the baronetcy that could easily have been his.
(b) Because he is very famous for his poetry.
(c) Because he has much greater success with women.
(d) Because he is much more handsome.
2. What does Gwendolyn tell Grandcourt right after she meets Lydia Glasher?
(a) That she wants to get married that very night.
(b) That he can visit her the next day.
(c) That he is a lying cheat.
(d) That she never wants to see him again.
3. Why does Herr tell Gwendolyn that she cannot count on Catherine as a patron?
(a) Because she is too jealous of their engagement.
(b) Because Catherine has found out about Gwendolyn having gossiped about her.
(c) Because Gwendolyn is now too poor for them to associate with her.
(d) Because her parents have disowned her.
4. What socially awkward topic does Gwendolyn ask Mrs. Davilow about after she is engaged?
(a) Having an affair.
(c) Getting a divorce.
(d) Illegitimate children.
5. With whom has Gwendolyn come to the city to gamble?
(a) No one.
(b) Some extended family members.
(d) Her boyfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reverend Gascoigne think that Gwendolyn should do if and when Grandcourt proposes?
2. Where does Gwendolyn's family move when she returns from her gambling trip?
3. Where does Gwendolyn tell her mother that she is going the day after she meets Lydia Glasher?
4. What does Grandcourt tell Gwendolyn upon arriving home after being married?
5. What information does Lush discover about Gwendolyn's family while Grandcourt remains in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter that Lydia includes in the package with the diamonds that she sends to Gwendolyn say?
2. What does Mrs. Meyrick believe about Mirah when she takes her in?
3. How does Hans Meyrick's family feel about Daniel?
4. What does Anna think that her life will be like when Rex is first mentioned in the novel?
5. What does the letter that Gwendolyn receives on the night she gambles say?
6. Why is Anna a little disappointed to hear of Gwendolyn's engagement?
7. How does Rex react to Gwendolyn's rebuff of his confession of love?
8. What does Daniel tell his uncle right after he finds the girl at the river?
9. What does Mirah believe about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
10. How does Gwendolyn react when she receives her pawned necklace supposedly from Daniel?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)