|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Catherine?
(a) Mrs. Arrowpoint's daughter.
(b) A music teacher.
(c) A governness in town.
(d) Mr. Arrowpoint's mistress.
2. Where does Mirah's father take her on a trip at the time that she is at a very young age?
(a) To France.
(b) To Australia.
(c) To China.
(d) To America.
3. How does Gwendolyn feel about gambling?
(a) That she could do it professionally if only women were allowed to gamble.
(b) That it is a great thrill and one she misses dearly.
(c) That the wins and losses are no different than every day life.
(d) That it is a great way for her to show off and gain admirers.
4. Why does Lush advise against Grandcourt proposing to Gwendolyn after Grandcourt arrives in Offendene from Paris?
(a) Because he has had a dream that something bad happens, although he doesn't know what the bad occurrence is.
(b) Because he will now have to assume financial responsibility for Gwendolyn's family.
(c) Because he thinks that his life will be in danger.
(d) Because he realizes that Gwendolyn is very spoiled and rude.
5. Where does Gwendolyn's family move when she returns from her gambling trip?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grandcourt tell Gwendolyn upon arriving home after being married?
2. Who is Mr. Lush?
3. How does Grandcourt ask permission to visit Gwendolyn from her after he arrives in Offendene?
4. How does Lydia react to the news that Grandcourt is engaged?
5. Who arranges housing for Gwendolyn and her family upon her return from her gambling trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Lush encourage Grandcourt to seek Catherine Arrowpoint's favor?
2. In contrast to what she originally believed, what does Mirah quickly learn about her brother and sister when she runs away from her father?
3. What happens when Rex tries to go hunting with Gwendolyn?
4. What does Lydia Glasher tell Gwendolyn when they first meet?
5. Why is Mr. Lush against the idea of marriage between Gwendolyn and Grandcourt?
6. What does Mrs. Meyrick believe about Mirah when she takes her in?
7. How does Rex react to Gwendolyn's rebuff of his confession of love?
8. What does Daniel tell his uncle right after he finds the girl at the river?
9. How does Mrs. Davilow respond to Gwendolyn's question about illegitimate children?
10. How does Lydia react when Grandcourt asks her to return his diamonds?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)