|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gwendolyn sell her necklace the morning that she leaves the gambling town?
(a) She sells it to a pawn shop.
(b) She sells it to a man on the street.
(c) She sells it to a girl on the street.
(d) She sells it to the gambling house.
2. What does Daniel do upon seeing Gwendolyn for the first time that bothers her so much?
(a) Makes her bow to him.
(b) Tells her that she looks fat in her dress.
(c) Asks for her hand in marriage.
(d) Stares at her.
3. Where is Daniel supposed to travel with Sir Hugo soon after he finds Mirah at the river?
4. What hotel does Mr. Lush settle his "mystery guest" in as Grandcourt is preparing to propose to Gwendolyn?
(a) The Leaky Cauldron.
(b) The Hampton Inn.
(c) The Oxford Inn.
(d) The Golden Keys.
5. How does Gwendolyn's mother feel about the possibility of Gwendolyn marrying Grandcourt?
(a) That it is a horrible mistake.
(b) That Gwendolyn should refuse him on principle so that he asks again and offers the family more money.
(c) That he will make Gwendolyn as happy as any other man whom she is likely to marry.
(d) That Grandcourt is making a mistake, even though it would be good for Gwendolyn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the archery club having an outing when Gwendolyn is called away to meet someone?
2. According to Mrs. Davilow, what two options are available as a profession for Gwendolyn?
3. What does Mrs. Davilow hope that Grandcourt will do when he arrives in town?
4. What does Mordecai ask Daniel when they first meet one another?
5. Where do Gwendolyn and Grandcourt go once they are married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two reasons that Gwendolyn regrets losing her money gambling?
2. What does the letter that Lydia includes in the package with the diamonds that she sends to Gwendolyn say?
3. What does Anna think that her life will be like when Rex is first mentioned in the novel?
4. Why does Mr. Lush encourage Grandcourt to seek Catherine Arrowpoint's favor?
5. For what reason does Daniel visit Grandcourt after he becomes engaged?
6. What does Lydia Glasher tell Gwendolyn when they first meet?
7. How does Mirah Lapidoth introduce herself to Mrs. Meyrick?
8. Why is Mr. Lush against the idea of marriage between Gwendolyn and Grandcourt?
9. What does Mrs. Meyrick believe about Mirah when she takes her in?
10. How does Mrs. Davilow respond to Gwendolyn's question about illegitimate children?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)