|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of relationship do Mordecai and Daniel develop after Daniel pawns his ring?
(a) One of suspicion.
(b) None. No relationship is formed between them.
(c) A close one.
(d) One of animosity.
2. How does Mrs. Davilow react to Gwendolyn's increasing need for her after Grandcourt drowns?
(a) She hopes that it passes and that it is just a symptom of her grief.
(b) She is pleased with it.
(c) She finds it to be a normal psychological need.
(d) She considers it to be highly annoying.
3. Who tells the Cohen family that Mordecai's missing family has been found?
(c) Both of the answer choices are correct.
(d) Neither of the answer choices are correct.
4. What type of arrangements does Grandcourt refuse to discuss with Gwendolyn?
(a) The type that deal with housekeeping.
(b) Romantic type.
(c) Financial type.
(d) The type that deal with their children since he categorizes that as women's work.
5. Where does Daniel find a place for Mordecai to live?
(a) In Brompton.
(b) In Paris.
(c) In Chesapeake.
(d) In Oxford.
6. What names does Mordecai tell Daniel he was called by a companion?
7. Where are Rex and Anne when they learn that Grandcourt has drowned?
(a) At their Aunt Fanny's.
(b) At the town square hearing the daily news.
(c) At the pier.
(d) At Gwendolyn's.
8. Who does Mrs. Meyrick report as being happier since Hans' arrival?
9. How do Mordecai and Mirah react when they first see each other?
(a) They pretend to be happy, but are really upset with Daniel.
(b) They remember how much they hated each other.
(c) They reconnect right away.
(d) They have no recollection of each other whatsoever.
10. What kind remark does Gwendolyn make to Daniel before she leaves the Abbey?
(a) That she wishes her husband were more like him.
(b) That her life has been better for having known him.
(c) That she hopes he has a happy, joyful, and rich life.
(d) That she is going to name her baby after him.
11. What is Daniel's first reaction to learning about Lydia?
(a) He is furiously angry.
(b) He does not believe it.
(c) He is confused because he is so honest and naive.
(d) He threatens to kill anyone who mentions her name.
12. What prevents Daniel from spending more time with Mordecai as they begin to grow closer?
(a) He has to run errands for Sir Hugo.
(b) All of the answer choices are correct.
(c) Mordecai is not well enough to see him every day.
(d) He is very busy with his banking business.
13. What does Mrs. Meyrick advise Mirah to do when she thinks that she has seen her father?
(a) All of the answer choices are correct.
(b) Not to give him any money.
(c) Not to talk to him.
(d) Not to go anywhere with him unless she tells Mordecai in advance.
14. How does Grandcourt react to how Gwendolyn is talking to Daniel at the Abbey?
(a) He scolds her and tells her that she is acting in a way that is unbecoming.
(b) He is jealous that they might be having a relationship.
(c) He is so arrogant that he does not even notice that they are conversing.
(d) He is happy that she has found a friend.
15. What led Daniel's mother to marry the man who is now her husband?
(a) Her fear that something was wrong with her voice.
(b) A fortuneteller's advice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Grandcourt make fun of to Gwendolyn?
2. Who does Hans realize to be loved by Mirah?
3. What advice does Daniel give to Gwendolyn about being happy?
4. What does Sir Hugo begin calling Gwendolyn?
5. Who does Daniel request help from in opening and translating the chest?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)