|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Meyrick report as being happier since Hans' arrival?
2. What does Daniel's mother claim to be in the letter that she writes to him?
(a) A princess.
(b) A famous soap opera actress.
(c) A queen.
(d) A very famous dancer.
3. Who is also in the room when Mordecai tells his life story to Daniel?
(a) A reporter who is chronicling their story.
(b) Gwendolyn, although no one knows that she is there.
(d) No one.
4. How does Gwendolyn explain her reaction to receiving the package from Lydia?
(a) She was just stressed out.
(b) She was suffering with influenza.
(c) She was having a coughing fit.
(d) She was upset by something that she had read in her romance novel.
5. What does Mirah realize about Mordecai when she first sees him?
(a) That he is ill.
(b) That he is a man who once robbed her on the subway.
(c) That he is not a man to be trusted.
(d) That he in fact is not her brother.
6. Who informs Rex and Anne that Grandcourt has drowned?
(a) Sir Hugo.
(b) A messenger.
(c) Reverend Gascoigne.
(d) A child who does not realize that they know Grandcourt.
7. How long does Daniel wait before his mother finally arrives to see him?
(a) Six months.
(b) Only a few hours.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Five days.
8. What prevents Daniel from spending more time with Mordecai as they begin to grow closer?
(a) He is very busy with his banking business.
(b) Mordecai is not well enough to see him every day.
(c) He has to run errands for Sir Hugo.
(d) All of the answer choices are correct.
9. What does Daniel learn about his father?
(a) That he is dead.
(b) That he had 15 other children, all of whom he named Daniel.
(c) That he is very famous.
(d) That Sir Hugo is his father.
10. What does Sir Hugo begin calling Gwendolyn?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His wife.
(c) His sister.
(d) His niece.
11. What led Daniel's mother to marry the man who is now her husband?
(a) A fortuneteller's advice.
(d) Her fear that something was wrong with her voice.
12. What does Gwendolyn confess to Daniel while they are at the Abbey?
(a) That she is bothered by the idea of Lydia.
(b) All of the answer choices are correct.
(c) That she does not know what to do.
(d) That she is miserable.
13. What is the purpose that Mirah's father claims to want money the first time that he asks her to aid him financially?
(a) To buy some good food.
(b) To buy some decent clothes before reuniting with his son.
(c) To buy her the necklace that he pawned years earlier.
(d) To go some place where he can clean up and look presentable.
14. Who owned the chest that Daniel is now inheriting?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His father.
(d) His great-grandfather.
15. Why does Hans have a drawing of Rex with him when he visits Daniel?
(a) Because he drew it.
(b) Because he bought it at a bazaar.
(c) Because he found it on the front step when he came to visit.
(d) Because he is trying to find the man in the picture.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though they have arrived to his uncle's house earlier in the day, when does Daniel finally see Grandcourt and Gwendolyn?
2. What names does Mordecai tell Daniel he was called by a companion?
3. Where does Herr Klesmer first hear Mirah sing?
4. Who tells the Cohen family that Mordecai's missing family has been found?
5. How does Daniel learn about Lydia?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)