|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind remark does Gwendolyn make to Daniel before she leaves the Abbey?
(a) That she is going to name her baby after him.
(b) That her life has been better for having known him.
(c) That she hopes he has a happy, joyful, and rich life.
(d) That she wishes her husband were more like him.
2. How does Daniel tell Mordecai and Mirah that he is going to see his mother?
(a) He does not tell them.
(b) In a long conversation in their living room.
(c) In a letter.
(d) In person, over dinner.
3. Who does Daniel request help from in opening and translating the chest?
(d) Sir Hugo.
4. Where are Rex and Anne when they learn that Grandcourt has drowned?
(a) At the pier.
(b) At the town square hearing the daily news.
(c) At Gwendolyn's.
(d) At their Aunt Fanny's.
5. What is Daniel's mother's full name?
(a) Annabelle Miriam Shirenstein.
(b) Shoshanna Lynn MacGuire.
(c) Rachel Anne Lipson.
(d) Lenora Halm Eberstein.
6. Who does Daniel plan to ask about Mirah's mother?
(a) Mirah herself.
(d) Mrs. Cohen herself.
7. How does Eliot make it clear that Rex has gotten over Gwendolyn?
(a) Eliot states that Rex is happily married to someone else.
(b) Eliot claims that Rex is now throwing himself into his studies.
(c) He does not. Rex has really never stopped loving Gwedolyn.
(d) Rex simply tells Gwendolyn that he is no longer in love with her.
8. How is Mordecai notified that his father has taken his little sister away?
(a) In person by Mrs. Davilow.
(b) By a letter from his sister.
(c) By a letter from his father.
(d) By a letter from his mother.
9. How does Daniel learn about Lydia?
(a) From gossip that he overhears on the street.
(b) Directy from Grandcourt.
(c) From reading about her in the paper.
(d) From another guest at his uncle's home.
10. Who does Hans realize to be loved by Mirah?
(c) The baker.
(d) No one.
11. Where does Daniel's mother want to meet him?
(a) In Nice.
(b) In Paris.
(c) In Genoa.
(d) In Madrid.
12. What does Mrs. Meyrick advise Mirah to do when she thinks that she has seen her father?
(a) Not to go anywhere with him unless she tells Mordecai in advance.
(b) Not to give him any money.
(c) Not to talk to him.
(d) All of the answer choices are correct.
13. How does Gwendolyn explain her reaction to receiving the package from Lydia?
(a) She was just stressed out.
(b) She was upset by something that she had read in her romance novel.
(c) She was suffering with influenza.
(d) She was having a coughing fit.
14. Where do Grandcourt and Gwendolyn go yachting?
(a) In the Mediterranean.
(b) In the Red Sea.
(c) Along the English Channel.
(d) In the Bahamas.
15. What does Mirah realize about Mordecai when she first sees him?
(a) That he in fact is not her brother.
(b) That he is ill.
(c) That he is not a man to be trusted.
(d) That he is a man who once robbed her on the subway.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Grandcourt want Gwendolyn's family to live?
2. What do the Cohens think about Mordecai reuniting with his sister?
3. Who visits Gwendolyn after Grandcourt drowns?
4. What does Gwendolyn confess to Daniel while they are at the Abbey?
5. Where does Herr Klesmer first hear Mirah sing?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)