|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gwendolyn confess to Daniel while they are at the Abbey?
(a) That she is miserable.
(b) All of the answer choices are correct.
(c) That she does not know what to do.
(d) That she is bothered by the idea of Lydia.
2. What are Daniel and Sir Hugo upset about following Grandcourt's death?
(a) The fact that they were not included in the will.
(b) The way that the press is covering the story.
(c) The meager allowance that he left for Gwendolyn.
(d) The fact that he left all of his money to Gwendolyn and left nothing to Lydia.
3. Who follows Mirah home one day?
(a) Her father.
(b) A reporter.
(c) Mrs. Davilow.
4. What does Daniel plan to do once he realizes that he has found Mirah's lost family?
(a) Help them live together.
(b) Make sure that they do not find each other; it would upset everyone involved.
(c) Publish the story of his journey in the local paper.
(d) Blackmail them so that he can get some money out of the situation.
5. What does Daniel come to think about Lydia?
(a) He believes that the situation might be true.
(b) He believes that she should be sent far away.
(c) He believes that she is going to die soon anyway, so he should just stop worrying about her.
(d) He believes that she is a greedy blackmailer.
6. Where does Herr invite Mirah to sing?
(a) At the weddings he conducts.
(b) At a private concert at his home.
(c) All of the answer choices are correct.
(d) At the opera.
7. What did Daniel's mother do for a living when he was born?
(a) She was a waitress.
(b) She was unemployed and dependent on the kindness of strangers.
(c) She was an actress.
(d) She was a governness.
8. Who visits Gwendolyn after Grandcourt drowns?
(a) Catherine Arrowpoint.
(d) The Reverend Gascoigne and Mrs. Davilow.
9. Who tells Daniel that his mother wants to meet him?
(c) Sir Hugo.
10. Where does Grandcourt want Gwendolyn's family to live?
(a) Far away.
(b) At another estate that he owns in London.
(c) At the Grandcourt estate.
(d) Down the street.
11. Who informs Rex and Anne that Grandcourt has drowned?
(a) A child who does not realize that they know Grandcourt.
(b) Sir Hugo.
(c) Reverend Gascoigne.
(d) A messenger.
12. Who is Joseph Kalonymos?
(a) A friend of Daniel's grandfather.
(b) Joseph Kalonymos is actually not a character in this novel.
(c) Daniel's new stepfather.
(d) The messenger who informs Daniel that his mother is ready to meet with him.
13. Not counting Daniel, how many children does Daniel's mother now have?
14. Who owned the chest that Daniel is now inheriting?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His great-grandfather.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) His father.
15. Even though they have arrived to his uncle's house earlier in the day, when does Daniel finally see Grandcourt and Gwendolyn?
(a) At a midnight fox hunt.
(b) At a star-gazing session at midnight.
(c) At dinner.
(d) At a smoking session after dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daniel think about Gwendolyn's dependence on him after Grandcourt dies?
2. Whom does Hans confess to have fallen in love with to Daniel?
3. What type of arrangements does Grandcourt refuse to discuss with Gwendolyn?
4. What do the Cohens think about Mordecai reuniting with his sister?
5. When Daniel's mother does arrive, when does she request to see him?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)