|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Daniel's mother want to meet him?
(a) In Madrid.
(b) In Genoa.
(c) In Nice.
(d) In Paris.
2. Not counting Daniel, how many children does Daniel's mother now have?
3. Whom does Hans confess to have fallen in love with to Daniel?
4. How is Mordecai notified that his father has taken his little sister away?
(a) By a letter from his sister.
(b) By a letter from his father.
(c) In person by Mrs. Davilow.
(d) By a letter from his mother.
5. Who visits Gwendolyn after Grandcourt drowns?
(c) The Reverend Gascoigne and Mrs. Davilow.
(d) Catherine Arrowpoint.
6. Who does Hans realize to be loved by Mirah?
(b) No one.
(c) The baker.
7. What type of arrangements does Grandcourt refuse to discuss with Gwendolyn?
(a) The type that deal with housekeeping.
(b) Financial type.
(c) The type that deal with their children since he categorizes that as women's work.
(d) Romantic type.
8. Who does Gwendolyn request be sent to her after she and Sir Hugo discuss what Grandcourt has left her in the will?
(d) Grandcourt's illegitimate son.
9. What does Gwendolyn tell her mother about her marriage to Grandcourt as time goes on?
(a) That she is having an affair.
(b) That she hates him.
(c) That she is very happy.
(d) That she has fallen out of love with him, but that they are still friends.
10. Who eventually tells Daniel that Gwendolyn knows about Lydia?
(a) Mrs. Davilow.
(b) Lydia herself.
(d) Gwendolyn herself.
11. What is the name of Mordecai's sister who is taken?
12. What do the Cohens think about Mordecai reuniting with his sister?
(a) That it will only confuse Mordecai and his sister.
(b) That it is in the stars and meant to happen.
(c) That it should definitely happen.
(d) That it is only going to lead to envy and greed; and therefore should not happen.
13. Where does Daniel have to travel to retrieve his family chest?
14. Who is Joseph Kalonymos?
(a) A friend of Daniel's grandfather.
(b) The messenger who informs Daniel that his mother is ready to meet with him.
(c) Daniel's new stepfather.
(d) Joseph Kalonymos is actually not a character in this novel.
15. How does Daniel tell Mordecai and Mirah that he is going to see his mother?
(a) In a long conversation in their living room.
(b) In a letter.
(c) In person, over dinner.
(d) He does not tell them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hans have a drawing of Rex with him when he visits Daniel?
2. Who tells Reverend Gascoigne the truth about Grandcourt's will?
3. What is Daniel's mother's full name?
4. How do Mordecai and Mirah react when they first see each other?
5. Who is Jacob?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)