|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Eliot make it clear that Rex has gotten over Gwendolyn?
(a) Rex simply tells Gwendolyn that he is no longer in love with her.
(b) Eliot states that Rex is happily married to someone else.
(c) He does not. Rex has really never stopped loving Gwedolyn.
(d) Eliot claims that Rex is now throwing himself into his studies.
2. What led Daniel's mother to marry the man who is now her husband?
(a) A fortuneteller's advice.
(c) Her fear that something was wrong with her voice.
3. What does Daniel learn about his father?
(a) That Sir Hugo is his father.
(b) That he is very famous.
(c) That he had 15 other children, all of whom he named Daniel.
(d) That he is dead.
4. What valuable family item does Mirah's father steal from Daniel?
(a) The family crest.
(b) A large ring.
(c) The family chest.
(d) A very expensive clock.
5. Who follows Mirah home one day?
(a) Her father.
(c) A reporter.
(d) Mrs. Davilow.
6. Who gives Daniel the letter from his mother?
(a) A messenger.
(c) The mailman.
(d) Sir Hugo.
7. What do the Cohens think about Mordecai reuniting with his sister?
(a) That it is only going to lead to envy and greed; and therefore should not happen.
(b) That it is in the stars and meant to happen.
(c) That it will only confuse Mordecai and his sister.
(d) That it should definitely happen.
8. What additional advice does Gwendolyn seek from Daniel during her stay at the Abbey?
(a) What to do if she were pregnant, but did not want the baby.
(b) What to do if she had wronged someone.
(c) What to do if she would like to get a divorce.
(d) What to do if she were to have an affair.
9. Where does Herr invite Mirah to sing?
(a) At the opera.
(b) At the weddings he conducts.
(c) At a private concert at his home.
(d) All of the answer choices are correct.
10. What specific advice does Grandcourt give Gwendolyn while at the Abbey?
(a) That she will "fill her place properly".
(b) That she must "act more like a woman".
(c) That the ideas in her head "must be swept away, like dust under a rug".
(d) That she is "too beautiful to exist on Earth".
11. Who does Hans realize to be loved by Mirah?
(b) No one.
(c) The baker.
12. How did Daniel's mother know Sir Hugo?
(a) He was one of her suitors.
(b) He was her brother.
(c) She did not know him.
(d) He worked for her.
13. What is Daniel's mother's full name?
(a) Lenora Halm Eberstein.
(b) Annabelle Miriam Shirenstein.
(c) Rachel Anne Lipson.
(d) Shoshanna Lynn MacGuire.
14. Why does Hans stay with Daniel instead of his own mother during a visit?
(a) Because his mother's house has been damaged by fire.
(b) Because they are best friends and enjoy each other's company.
(c) Because Mirah is at his home and it would be improper.
(d) Because he is trying to keep knowledge of his visit with Daniel away from his mother.
15. How is Mordecai notified that his father has taken his little sister away?
(a) By a letter from his mother.
(b) By a letter from his sister.
(c) By a letter from his father.
(d) In person by Mrs. Davilow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of arrangements does Grandcourt refuse to discuss with Gwendolyn?
2. What type of work does Hans do as an adult?
3. What is the name of Mordecai's sister who is taken?
4. What does Mrs. Meyrick advise Mirah to do when she thinks that she has seen her father?
5. Who is Jacob?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)