|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose that Mirah's father claims to want money the first time that he asks her to aid him financially?
(a) To go some place where he can clean up and look presentable.
(b) To buy her the necklace that he pawned years earlier.
(c) To buy some decent clothes before reuniting with his son.
(d) To buy some good food.
2. What type of arrangements does Grandcourt refuse to discuss with Gwendolyn?
(a) Financial type.
(b) Romantic type.
(c) The type that deal with housekeeping.
(d) The type that deal with their children since he categorizes that as women's work.
3. What is the name of Mordecai's sister who is taken?
4. How does Daniel tell Mordecai and Mirah that he is going to see his mother?
(a) In a letter.
(b) In person, over dinner.
(c) In a long conversation in their living room.
(d) He does not tell them.
5. How did Daniel's mother know Sir Hugo?
(a) She did not know him.
(b) He was her brother.
(c) He was one of her suitors.
(d) He worked for her.
6. What does Daniel notice about Mordecai upon returning to visit him after pawning his ring?
(a) That he looks a lot like Sir Hugo.
(b) That he is a thief and a cheat.
(c) That he looks a lot like Mirah.
(d) That he is sick and dying.
7. What is Daniel's mother's full name?
(a) Annabelle Miriam Shirenstein.
(b) Lenora Halm Eberstein.
(c) Shoshanna Lynn MacGuire.
(d) Rachel Anne Lipson.
8. Whom does Hans confess to have fallen in love with to Daniel?
9. Where does Daniel have to travel to retrieve his family chest?
10. How is Mordecai notified that his father has taken his little sister away?
(a) By a letter from his sister.
(b) By a letter from his father.
(c) In person by Mrs. Davilow.
(d) By a letter from his mother.
11. Who gives Daniel the letter from his mother?
(a) The mailman.
(b) Sir Hugo.
(d) A messenger.
12. Who tells Daniel that his mother wants to meet him?
(c) Sir Hugo.
13. Why does Hans have a drawing of Rex with him when he visits Daniel?
(a) Because he found it on the front step when he came to visit.
(b) Because he bought it at a bazaar.
(c) Because he drew it.
(d) Because he is trying to find the man in the picture.
14. Who does Hans realize to be loved by Mirah?
(a) No one.
(b) The baker.
15. When Daniel's mother does arrive, when does she request to see him?
(a) Right away.
(b) She never requests to see him.
(c) The very next day.
(d) Not for another week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Daniel end up marrying when the novel concludes?
2. Where does Herr invite Mirah to sing?
3. What specific advice does Grandcourt give Gwendolyn while at the Abbey?
4. What is Daniel's first reaction to learning about Lydia?
5. What does Gwendolyn confess to Daniel while they are at the Abbey?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)