|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Herr invite Mirah to sing?
(a) At the opera.
(b) At the weddings he conducts.
(c) All of the answer choices are correct.
(d) At a private concert at his home.
2. Where are Rex and Anne when they learn that Grandcourt has drowned?
(a) At the town square hearing the daily news.
(b) At their Aunt Fanny's.
(c) At the pier.
(d) At Gwendolyn's.
3. How does Mrs. Davilow react to Gwendolyn's increasing need for her after Grandcourt drowns?
(a) She finds it to be a normal psychological need.
(b) She hopes that it passes and that it is just a symptom of her grief.
(c) She considers it to be highly annoying.
(d) She is pleased with it.
4. What led Daniel's mother to marry the man who is now her husband?
(a) A fortuneteller's advice.
(d) Her fear that something was wrong with her voice.
5. Who does Daniel plan to ask about Mirah's mother?
(a) Mirah herself.
(c) Mrs. Cohen herself.
6. What kind of relationship do Mordecai and Daniel develop after Daniel pawns his ring?
(a) None. No relationship is formed between them.
(b) One of suspicion.
(c) One of animosity.
(d) A close one.
7. Who is Joseph Kalonymos?
(a) A friend of Daniel's grandfather.
(b) Daniel's new stepfather.
(c) The messenger who informs Daniel that his mother is ready to meet with him.
(d) Joseph Kalonymos is actually not a character in this novel.
8. Where does Daniel find a place for Mordecai to live?
(a) In Brompton.
(b) In Paris.
(c) In Chesapeake.
(d) In Oxford.
9. How did Daniel's mother know Sir Hugo?
(a) He was one of her suitors.
(b) He was her brother.
(c) She did not know him.
(d) He worked for her.
10. What does Daniel's mother claim to be in the letter that she writes to him?
(a) A queen.
(b) A famous soap opera actress.
(c) A princess.
(d) A very famous dancer.
11. How many of Mordecai's siblings died when they were younger?
12. In a letter to Daniel, who does Hans report to have recently visited his family?
(b) Rex Gascoigne.
13. Who follows Mirah home one day?
(b) Her father.
(c) Mrs. Davilow.
(d) A reporter.
14. What additional advice does Gwendolyn seek from Daniel during her stay at the Abbey?
(a) What to do if she had wronged someone.
(b) What to do if she would like to get a divorce.
(c) What to do if she were to have an affair.
(d) What to do if she were pregnant, but did not want the baby.
15. Who does Daniel tell about the news of his ethnicity?
(b) Reverend Gascoigne.
(c) The reporter who has been following him around for weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hans stay with Daniel instead of his own mother during a visit?
2. What is the Abbey?
3. Who tells the Cohen family that Mordecai's missing family has been found?
4. How is Mordecai notified that his father has taken his little sister away?
5. Who eventually tells Daniel that Gwendolyn knows about Lydia?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)