|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who owned the chest that Daniel is now inheriting?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His father.
(c) His great-grandfather.
(d) His grandfather.
2. What does Sir Hugo begin calling Gwendolyn?
(a) His wife.
(b) His sister.
(c) His niece.
(d) His daughter.
3. How does Grandcourt react to how Gwendolyn is talking to Daniel at the Abbey?
(a) He is happy that she has found a friend.
(b) He scolds her and tells her that she is acting in a way that is unbecoming.
(c) He is so arrogant that he does not even notice that they are conversing.
(d) He is jealous that they might be having a relationship.
4. Why did Daniel's mother not want a child?
(a) She did not want to be tied down.
(b) She felt that she was too young to become a mother.
(c) She was impregnated by way of an affair.
(d) She would have been outcast.
5. What does Daniel learn about his father?
(a) That he had 15 other children, all of whom he named Daniel.
(b) That he is very famous.
(c) That he is dead.
(d) That Sir Hugo is his father.
6. What is Daniel's mother's full name?
(a) Lenora Halm Eberstein.
(b) Rachel Anne Lipson.
(c) Annabelle Miriam Shirenstein.
(d) Shoshanna Lynn MacGuire.
7. What does Gwendolyn tell her mother about her marriage to Grandcourt as time goes on?
(a) That she is having an affair.
(b) That she is very happy.
(c) That she has fallen out of love with him, but that they are still friends.
(d) That she hates him.
8. What is Daniel's first reaction to learning about Lydia?
(a) He does not believe it.
(b) He is confused because he is so honest and naive.
(c) He is furiously angry.
(d) He threatens to kill anyone who mentions her name.
9. What does Mirah realize about Mordecai when she first sees him?
(a) That he is ill.
(b) That he is a man who once robbed her on the subway.
(c) That he in fact is not her brother.
(d) That he is not a man to be trusted.
10. What religion does Daniel's mother tell him that she believes in?
11. Who is also in the room when Mordecai tells his life story to Daniel?
(b) A reporter who is chronicling their story.
(c) No one.
(d) Gwendolyn, although no one knows that she is there.
12. Where does Herr invite Mirah to sing?
(a) All of the answer choices are correct.
(b) At the opera.
(c) At the weddings he conducts.
(d) At a private concert at his home.
13. Where does Daniel's mother want to meet him?
(a) In Paris.
(b) In Madrid.
(c) In Nice.
(d) In Genoa.
14. Where are Rex and Anne when they learn that Grandcourt has drowned?
(a) At the town square hearing the daily news.
(b) At their Aunt Fanny's.
(c) At the pier.
(d) At Gwendolyn's.
15. Who is Joseph Kalonymos?
(a) Joseph Kalonymos is actually not a character in this novel.
(b) Daniel's new stepfather.
(c) A friend of Daniel's grandfather.
(d) The messenger who informs Daniel that his mother is ready to meet with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Daniel and Sir Hugo upset about following Grandcourt's death?
2. Who does Daniel request help from in opening and translating the chest?
3. What additional advice does Gwendolyn seek from Daniel during her stay at the Abbey?
4. What led Daniel's mother to marry the man who is now her husband?
5. Even though they have arrived to his uncle's house earlier in the day, when does Daniel finally see Grandcourt and Gwendolyn?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)