|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Daniel plan to ask about Mirah's mother?
(c) Mirah herself.
(d) Mrs. Cohen herself.
2. How does Daniel tell Mordecai and Mirah that he is going to see his mother?
(a) In a long conversation in their living room.
(b) He does not tell them.
(c) In person, over dinner.
(d) In a letter.
3. What does Daniel's mother claim to be in the letter that she writes to him?
(a) A famous soap opera actress.
(b) A queen.
(c) A very famous dancer.
(d) A princess.
4. Why does Mirah dress in her poorest dress as she prepares to meet her brother?
(a) All of the answer choices are correct.
(b) Because she knows her that her brother does not have any money.
(c) Because she does not want to make her brother uncomfortable.
(d) Out of deference.
5. Where does Daniel find a place for Mordecai to live?
(a) In Brompton.
(b) In Oxford.
(c) In Chesapeake.
(d) In Paris.
6. What does Sir Hugo begin calling Gwendolyn?
(a) His sister.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His niece.
(d) His wife.
7. Who is Jacob?
(a) Daniel's long-lost cousin.
(b) Daniel's younger brother.
(c) Lydia's illegitimate son.
(d) The youngster who lives with Mordecai.
8. Who does Daniel request help from in opening and translating the chest?
(a) Sir Hugo.
9. Upon whose request does Sir Hugo keep Daniel's parentage a secret?
(a) His father's.
(b) His mother's.
(c) Sir Hugo's.
10. Where are Rex and Anne when they learn that Grandcourt has drowned?
(a) At Gwendolyn's.
(b) At their Aunt Fanny's.
(c) At the pier.
(d) At the town square hearing the daily news.
11. What valuable family item does Mirah's father steal from Daniel?
(a) The family crest.
(b) The family chest.
(c) A very expensive clock.
(d) A large ring.
12. How many of Mordecai's siblings died when they were younger?
13. What does Mirah realize about Mordecai when she first sees him?
(a) That he is ill.
(b) That he is not a man to be trusted.
(c) That he in fact is not her brother.
(d) That he is a man who once robbed her on the subway.
14. Who tells Reverend Gascoigne the truth about Grandcourt's will?
(a) The lawyer.
(d) Sir Hugo.
15. What is the name of Mordecai's sister who is taken?
Short Answer Questions
1. Not counting Daniel, how many children does Daniel's mother now have?
2. What does Daniel plan to do once he realizes that he has found Mirah's lost family?
3. What does Gwendolyn tell her mother about her marriage to Grandcourt as time goes on?
4. What do the Cohens think about Mordecai reuniting with his sister?
5. Whom does Hans confess to have fallen in love with to Daniel?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)