|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Daniel give to Gwendolyn about being happy?
(a) That she must become interested in something other than herself.
(b) That she must learn to become a woman of society.
(c) That she will never be happy in her horrible marriage.
(d) That she will only find happiness when she finds God.
2. How does Gwendolyn explain her reaction to receiving the package from Lydia?
(a) She was upset by something that she had read in her romance novel.
(b) She was suffering with influenza.
(c) She was just stressed out.
(d) She was having a coughing fit.
3. How does Eliot make it clear that Rex has gotten over Gwendolyn?
(a) Eliot claims that Rex is now throwing himself into his studies.
(b) Rex simply tells Gwendolyn that he is no longer in love with her.
(c) He does not. Rex has really never stopped loving Gwedolyn.
(d) Eliot states that Rex is happily married to someone else.
4. Not counting Daniel, how many children does Daniel's mother now have?
5. What does Daniel's mother claim to be in the letter that she writes to him?
(a) A princess.
(b) A famous soap opera actress.
(c) A very famous dancer.
(d) A queen.
6. How long does Daniel wait before his mother finally arrives to see him?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Six months.
(c) Only a few hours.
(d) Five days.
7. In a letter to Daniel, who does Hans report to have recently visited his family?
(b) Rex Gascoigne.
8. Who does Gwendolyn request be sent to her after she and Sir Hugo discuss what Grandcourt has left her in the will?
(d) Grandcourt's illegitimate son.
9. Who tells the Cohen family that Mordecai's missing family has been found?
(a) Both of the answer choices are correct.
(b) Neither of the answer choices are correct.
10. Where does Daniel have to travel to retrieve his family chest?
11. Why did Daniel's mother not want a child?
(a) She felt that she was too young to become a mother.
(b) She was impregnated by way of an affair.
(c) She would have been outcast.
(d) She did not want to be tied down.
12. How is Mordecai notified that his father has taken his little sister away?
(a) In person by Mrs. Davilow.
(b) By a letter from his mother.
(c) By a letter from his father.
(d) By a letter from his sister.
13. Where does Herr invite Mirah to sing?
(a) At the opera.
(b) At the weddings he conducts.
(c) At a private concert at his home.
(d) All of the answer choices are correct.
14. Where does Daniel's mother want to meet him?
(a) In Paris.
(b) In Nice.
(c) In Madrid.
(d) In Genoa.
15. How did Daniel's mother know Sir Hugo?
(a) He was one of her suitors.
(b) He was her brother.
(c) He worked for her.
(d) She did not know him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion does Daniel's mother tell him that she believes in?
2. What is Daniel's first reaction to learning about Lydia?
3. How does Mordecai react to Daniel's kindness upon finding him a place to live?
4. What type of work does Hans do as an adult?
5. What names does Mordecai tell Daniel he was called by a companion?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)