|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What specific advice does Grandcourt give Gwendolyn while at the Abbey?
(a) That she must "act more like a woman".
(b) That she is "too beautiful to exist on Earth".
(c) That the ideas in her head "must be swept away, like dust under a rug".
(d) That she will "fill her place properly".
2. How do Mordecai and Mirah react when they first see each other?
(a) They remember how much they hated each other.
(b) They pretend to be happy, but are really upset with Daniel.
(c) They reconnect right away.
(d) They have no recollection of each other whatsoever.
3. Where does Daniel's mother want to meet him?
(a) In Paris.
(b) In Genoa.
(c) In Nice.
(d) In Madrid.
4. Who does Daniel plan to ask about Mirah's mother?
(a) Mirah herself.
(c) Mrs. Cohen herself.
5. Who does Daniel tell about the news of his ethnicity?
(a) Reverend Gascoigne.
(c) The reporter who has been following him around for weeks.
6. Who eventually tells Daniel that Gwendolyn knows about Lydia?
(a) Mrs. Davilow.
(b) Lydia herself.
(d) Gwendolyn herself.
7. When Daniel's mother does arrive, when does she request to see him?
(a) Not for another week.
(b) She never requests to see him.
(c) The very next day.
(d) Right away.
8. Who does Daniel request help from in opening and translating the chest?
(a) Sir Hugo.
9. Whom does Grandcourt make fun of to Gwendolyn?
(a) Her younger siblings.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her uncle's family.
(d) Her cousins.
10. Upon whose request does Sir Hugo keep Daniel's parentage a secret?
(a) Sir Hugo's.
(b) His father's.
(d) His mother's.
11. Who is also in the room when Mordecai tells his life story to Daniel?
(b) Gwendolyn, although no one knows that she is there.
(c) No one.
(d) A reporter who is chronicling their story.
12. Who tells Mordecai that his younger sister has been found?
(c) Sir Hugo.
13. Who does Gwendolyn want to connect with while at the Abbey?
(c) Sir Hugo.
14. What did Sir Hugo promise to do with Daniel when Daniel's mother gave Daniel to him?
(a) To raise him like an English gentleman.
(b) To raise him as a Jew.
(c) To never let him see his mother in a movie.
(d) To never let his father know what happened to him.
15. What does Daniel learn about his father?
(a) That he is dead.
(b) That he had 15 other children, all of whom he named Daniel.
(c) That Sir Hugo is his father.
(d) That he is very famous.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mordecai react to Daniel's kindness upon finding him a place to live?
2. What does Daniel's mother claim to be in the letter that she writes to him?
3. How does Eliot make it clear that Rex has gotten over Gwendolyn?
4. Who tells the Cohen family that Mordecai's missing family has been found?
5. What kind of relationship do Mordecai and Daniel develop after Daniel pawns his ring?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)