|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Daniel's mother want to meet him?
(a) In Genoa.
(b) In Madrid.
(c) In Nice.
(d) In Paris.
2. What kind of relationship do Mordecai and Daniel develop after Daniel pawns his ring?
(a) One of animosity.
(b) A close one.
(c) None. No relationship is formed between them.
(d) One of suspicion.
3. What is Daniel's mother's full name?
(a) Rachel Anne Lipson.
(b) Lenora Halm Eberstein.
(c) Shoshanna Lynn MacGuire.
(d) Annabelle Miriam Shirenstein.
4. What did Daniel's mother do for a living when he was born?
(a) She was a waitress.
(b) She was unemployed and dependent on the kindness of strangers.
(c) She was an actress.
(d) She was a governness.
5. What does Daniel notice about Mordecai upon returning to visit him after pawning his ring?
(a) That he looks a lot like Sir Hugo.
(b) That he looks a lot like Mirah.
(c) That he is sick and dying.
(d) That he is a thief and a cheat.
6. Whom does Grandcourt make fun of to Gwendolyn?
(a) Her younger siblings.
(b) Her cousins.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her uncle's family.
7. How does Daniel learn about Lydia?
(a) From gossip that he overhears on the street.
(b) From another guest at his uncle's home.
(c) From reading about her in the paper.
(d) Directy from Grandcourt.
8. Why does Mirah dress in her poorest dress as she prepares to meet her brother?
(a) Because she knows her that her brother does not have any money.
(b) Because she does not want to make her brother uncomfortable.
(c) All of the answer choices are correct.
(d) Out of deference.
9. What valuable family item does Mirah's father steal from Daniel?
(a) The family crest.
(b) A large ring.
(c) The family chest.
(d) A very expensive clock.
10. Who tells Daniel that his mother wants to meet him?
(a) Sir Hugo.
11. What type of work does Hans do as an adult?
(a) He is a baker.
(b) He is an engineer.
(c) He is a singer.
(d) He is an artist.
12. What names does Mordecai tell Daniel he was called by a companion?
13. Where do Grandcourt and Gwendolyn go yachting?
(a) Along the English Channel.
(b) In the Red Sea.
(c) In the Mediterranean.
(d) In the Bahamas.
14. What is the purpose that Mirah's father claims to want money the first time that he asks her to aid him financially?
(a) To buy some good food.
(b) To buy some decent clothes before reuniting with his son.
(c) To buy her the necklace that he pawned years earlier.
(d) To go some place where he can clean up and look presentable.
15. Where does Herr invite Mirah to sing?
(a) At the opera.
(b) All of the answer choices are correct.
(c) At the weddings he conducts.
(d) At a private concert at his home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owned the chest that Daniel is now inheriting?
2. What does Mrs. Meyrick advise Mirah to do when she thinks that she has seen her father?
3. What kind remark does Gwendolyn make to Daniel before she leaves the Abbey?
4. Where does Daniel find a place for Mordecai to live?
5. Who does Hans realize to be loved by Mirah?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)