|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Gwendolyn request be sent to her after she and Sir Hugo discuss what Grandcourt has left her in the will?
(a) Grandcourt's illegitimate son.
2. Who does Gwendolyn want to connect with while at the Abbey?
(c) Sir Hugo.
3. Where are Rex and Anne when they learn that Grandcourt has drowned?
(a) At the town square hearing the daily news.
(b) At the pier.
(c) At Gwendolyn's.
(d) At their Aunt Fanny's.
4. Why does Hans stay with Daniel instead of his own mother during a visit?
(a) Because he is trying to keep knowledge of his visit with Daniel away from his mother.
(b) Because his mother's house has been damaged by fire.
(c) Because they are best friends and enjoy each other's company.
(d) Because Mirah is at his home and it would be improper.
5. What kind of relationship do Mordecai and Daniel develop after Daniel pawns his ring?
(a) None. No relationship is formed between them.
(b) One of animosity.
(c) One of suspicion.
(d) A close one.
6. How does Mrs. Davilow react to Gwendolyn's increasing need for her after Grandcourt drowns?
(a) She is pleased with it.
(b) She considers it to be highly annoying.
(c) She finds it to be a normal psychological need.
(d) She hopes that it passes and that it is just a symptom of her grief.
7. Why does Hans have a drawing of Rex with him when he visits Daniel?
(a) Because he found it on the front step when he came to visit.
(b) Because he drew it.
(c) Because he bought it at a bazaar.
(d) Because he is trying to find the man in the picture.
8. Even though they have arrived to his uncle's house earlier in the day, when does Daniel finally see Grandcourt and Gwendolyn?
(a) At dinner.
(b) At a smoking session after dinner.
(c) At a star-gazing session at midnight.
(d) At a midnight fox hunt.
9. What is Daniel's mother's full name?
(a) Shoshanna Lynn MacGuire.
(b) Lenora Halm Eberstein.
(c) Annabelle Miriam Shirenstein.
(d) Rachel Anne Lipson.
10. How long does Daniel wait before his mother finally arrives to see him?
(a) Only a few hours.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Six months.
(d) Five days.
11. What is the purpose that Mirah's father claims to want money the first time that he asks her to aid him financially?
(a) To buy some decent clothes before reuniting with his son.
(b) To buy her the necklace that he pawned years earlier.
(c) To buy some good food.
(d) To go some place where he can clean up and look presentable.
12. What do the Cohens think about Mordecai reuniting with his sister?
(a) That it will only confuse Mordecai and his sister.
(b) That it is only going to lead to envy and greed; and therefore should not happen.
(c) That it should definitely happen.
(d) That it is in the stars and meant to happen.
13. Who does Daniel tell about the news of his ethnicity?
(a) The reporter who has been following him around for weeks.
(c) Reverend Gascoigne.
14. Who owned the chest that Daniel is now inheriting?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His great-grandfather.
(d) His father.
15. Whom does Daniel end up marrying when the novel concludes?
(a) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells the Cohen family that Mordecai's missing family has been found?
2. What advice does Daniel give to Gwendolyn about being happy?
3. What did Daniel's mother do for a living when he was born?
4. Who is Jacob?
5. What does Daniel's mother claim to be in the letter that she writes to him?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)