|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Daniel wait before his mother finally arrives to see him?
(a) Five days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Only a few hours.
(d) Six months.
2. Why does Mirah dress in her poorest dress as she prepares to meet her brother?
(a) Because she does not want to make her brother uncomfortable.
(b) Because she knows her that her brother does not have any money.
(c) All of the answer choices are correct.
(d) Out of deference.
3. Where does Daniel's mother want to meet him?
(a) In Paris.
(b) In Madrid.
(c) In Genoa.
(d) In Nice.
4. What is Daniel's mother's full name?
(a) Lenora Halm Eberstein.
(b) Rachel Anne Lipson.
(c) Annabelle Miriam Shirenstein.
(d) Shoshanna Lynn MacGuire.
5. What does Gwendolyn tell her mother about her marriage to Grandcourt as time goes on?
(a) That she is having an affair.
(b) That she hates him.
(c) That she has fallen out of love with him, but that they are still friends.
(d) That she is very happy.
6. Who gives Daniel the letter from his mother?
(a) The mailman.
(b) A messenger.
(d) Sir Hugo.
7. What led Daniel's mother to marry the man who is now her husband?
(a) Her fear that something was wrong with her voice.
(d) A fortuneteller's advice.
8. Who does Hans realize to be loved by Mirah?
(a) No one.
(d) The baker.
9. What is the name of Mordecai's sister who is taken?
10. Where does Herr Klesmer first hear Mirah sing?
(a) At Grandcourt's estate.
(b) At the Abbey.
(c) At the Meyrick house.
(d) In the town square.
11. Who tells Daniel that his mother wants to meet him?
(a) Sir Hugo.
12. What specific advice does Grandcourt give Gwendolyn while at the Abbey?
(a) That she is "too beautiful to exist on Earth".
(b) That she will "fill her place properly".
(c) That the ideas in her head "must be swept away, like dust under a rug".
(d) That she must "act more like a woman".
13. What does Sir Hugo begin calling Gwendolyn?
(a) His sister.
(b) His wife.
(c) His niece.
(d) His daughter.
14. What is the purpose that Mirah's father claims to want money the first time that he asks her to aid him financially?
(a) To buy her the necklace that he pawned years earlier.
(b) To buy some decent clothes before reuniting with his son.
(c) To go some place where he can clean up and look presentable.
(d) To buy some good food.
15. What kind remark does Gwendolyn make to Daniel before she leaves the Abbey?
(a) That she wishes her husband were more like him.
(b) That she is going to name her baby after him.
(c) That her life has been better for having known him.
(d) That she hopes he has a happy, joyful, and rich life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Herr invite Mirah to sing?
2. In a letter to Daniel, who does Hans report to have recently visited his family?
3. Where does Grandcourt want Gwendolyn's family to live?
4. Who follows Mirah home one day?
5. Who does Mrs. Meyrick report as being happier since Hans' arrival?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)