|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Cohens think about Mordecai reuniting with his sister?
(a) That it should definitely happen.
(b) That it is only going to lead to envy and greed; and therefore should not happen.
(c) That it is in the stars and meant to happen.
(d) That it will only confuse Mordecai and his sister.
2. Not counting Daniel, how many children does Daniel's mother now have?
3. Where does Grandcourt want Gwendolyn's family to live?
(a) Far away.
(b) At the Grandcourt estate.
(c) Down the street.
(d) At another estate that he owns in London.
4. What advice does Daniel give to Gwendolyn about being happy?
(a) That she must learn to become a woman of society.
(b) That she will only find happiness when she finds God.
(c) That she will never be happy in her horrible marriage.
(d) That she must become interested in something other than herself.
5. Who does Gwendolyn want to connect with while at the Abbey?
(b) Sir Hugo.
6. What led Daniel's mother to marry the man who is now her husband?
(a) Her fear that something was wrong with her voice.
(c) A fortuneteller's advice.
7. Who tells Reverend Gascoigne the truth about Grandcourt's will?
(b) The lawyer.
(d) Sir Hugo.
8. What specific advice does Grandcourt give Gwendolyn while at the Abbey?
(a) That she must "act more like a woman".
(b) That she will "fill her place properly".
(c) That the ideas in her head "must be swept away, like dust under a rug".
(d) That she is "too beautiful to exist on Earth".
9. What additional advice does Gwendolyn seek from Daniel during her stay at the Abbey?
(a) What to do if she had wronged someone.
(b) What to do if she would like to get a divorce.
(c) What to do if she were to have an affair.
(d) What to do if she were pregnant, but did not want the baby.
10. What did Sir Hugo promise to do with Daniel when Daniel's mother gave Daniel to him?
(a) To raise him as a Jew.
(b) To raise him like an English gentleman.
(c) To never let him see his mother in a movie.
(d) To never let his father know what happened to him.
11. How many of Mordecai's siblings died when they were younger?
12. How is Mordecai notified that his father has taken his little sister away?
(a) By a letter from his mother.
(b) In person by Mrs. Davilow.
(c) By a letter from his father.
(d) By a letter from his sister.
13. Whom does Daniel end up marrying when the novel concludes?
(d) No one.
14. What did Daniel's mother do for a living when he was born?
(a) She was unemployed and dependent on the kindness of strangers.
(b) She was an actress.
(c) She was a waitress.
(d) She was a governness.
15. Who informs Rex and Anne that Grandcourt has drowned?
(a) Reverend Gascoigne.
(b) A child who does not realize that they know Grandcourt.
(c) A messenger.
(d) Sir Hugo.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Daniel's mother know Sir Hugo?
2. What are Daniel and Sir Hugo upset about following Grandcourt's death?
3. What valuable family item does Mirah's father steal from Daniel?
4. Who tells Mordecai that his younger sister has been found?
5. What type of arrangements does Grandcourt refuse to discuss with Gwendolyn?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)