|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Even though they have arrived to his uncle's house earlier in the day, when does Daniel finally see Grandcourt and Gwendolyn?
(a) At a star-gazing session at midnight.
(b) At dinner.
(c) At a midnight fox hunt.
(d) At a smoking session after dinner.
2. How did Daniel's mother know Sir Hugo?
(a) She did not know him.
(b) He worked for her.
(c) He was her brother.
(d) He was one of her suitors.
3. What does Daniel think about Gwendolyn's dependence on him after Grandcourt dies?
(a) He thinks that it is highly annoying and inappropriate.
(b) It makes him feel very strong and manly.
(c) He likes it.
(d) He worries about it.
4. Who does Daniel request help from in opening and translating the chest?
(d) Sir Hugo.
5. What led Daniel's mother to marry the man who is now her husband?
(a) Her fear that something was wrong with her voice.
(b) A fortuneteller's advice.
6. Who does Daniel tell about the news of his ethnicity?
(a) The reporter who has been following him around for weeks.
(b) Reverend Gascoigne.
7. Why did Daniel's mother not want a child?
(a) She did not want to be tied down.
(b) She would have been outcast.
(c) She felt that she was too young to become a mother.
(d) She was impregnated by way of an affair.
8. What does Daniel notice about Mordecai upon returning to visit him after pawning his ring?
(a) That he is a thief and a cheat.
(b) That he looks a lot like Sir Hugo.
(c) That he is sick and dying.
(d) That he looks a lot like Mirah.
9. How does Daniel tell Mordecai and Mirah that he is going to see his mother?
(a) In a long conversation in their living room.
(b) In person, over dinner.
(c) He does not tell them.
(d) In a letter.
10. Whom does Grandcourt make fun of to Gwendolyn?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her uncle's family.
(c) Her cousins.
(d) Her younger siblings.
11. Why does Mirah dress in her poorest dress as she prepares to meet her brother?
(a) Because she knows her that her brother does not have any money.
(b) Out of deference.
(c) All of the answer choices are correct.
(d) Because she does not want to make her brother uncomfortable.
12. Who does Hans realize to be loved by Mirah?
(b) No one.
(d) The baker.
13. What additional advice does Gwendolyn seek from Daniel during her stay at the Abbey?
(a) What to do if she were pregnant, but did not want the baby.
(b) What to do if she would like to get a divorce.
(c) What to do if she had wronged someone.
(d) What to do if she were to have an affair.
14. Who eventually tells Daniel that Gwendolyn knows about Lydia?
(a) Gwendolyn herself.
(b) Mrs. Davilow.
(c) Lydia herself.
15. What specific advice does Grandcourt give Gwendolyn while at the Abbey?
(a) That she is "too beautiful to exist on Earth".
(b) That the ideas in her head "must be swept away, like dust under a rug".
(c) That she will "fill her place properly".
(d) That she must "act more like a woman".
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Daniel give to Gwendolyn about being happy?
2. Who does Gwendolyn request be sent to her after she and Sir Hugo discuss what Grandcourt has left her in the will?
3. Where do Grandcourt and Gwendolyn go yachting?
4. What religion does Daniel's mother tell him that she believes in?
5. How does Eliot make it clear that Rex has gotten over Gwendolyn?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)