|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Daniel's mother not want a child?
(a) She felt that she was too young to become a mother.
(b) She was impregnated by way of an affair.
(c) She did not want to be tied down.
(d) She would have been outcast.
2. What does Mirah realize about Mordecai when she first sees him?
(a) That he in fact is not her brother.
(b) That he is ill.
(c) That he is not a man to be trusted.
(d) That he is a man who once robbed her on the subway.
3. How did Daniel's mother know Sir Hugo?
(a) She did not know him.
(b) He was her brother.
(c) He was one of her suitors.
(d) He worked for her.
4. Who gives Daniel the letter from his mother?
(a) A messenger.
(b) The mailman.
(c) Sir Hugo.
5. Who tells Reverend Gascoigne the truth about Grandcourt's will?
(b) The lawyer.
(c) Sir Hugo.
6. Where do Grandcourt and Gwendolyn go yachting?
(a) In the Bahamas.
(b) In the Red Sea.
(c) Along the English Channel.
(d) In the Mediterranean.
7. What is Daniel's mother's full name?
(a) Rachel Anne Lipson.
(b) Annabelle Miriam Shirenstein.
(c) Lenora Halm Eberstein.
(d) Shoshanna Lynn MacGuire.
8. Who tells Daniel that his mother wants to meet him?
(c) Sir Hugo.
9. What does Daniel notice about Mordecai upon returning to visit him after pawning his ring?
(a) That he looks a lot like Sir Hugo.
(b) That he looks a lot like Mirah.
(c) That he is sick and dying.
(d) That he is a thief and a cheat.
10. How does Gwendolyn explain her reaction to receiving the package from Lydia?
(a) She was suffering with influenza.
(b) She was having a coughing fit.
(c) She was just stressed out.
(d) She was upset by something that she had read in her romance novel.
11. How does Daniel learn about Lydia?
(a) From another guest at his uncle's home.
(b) From reading about her in the paper.
(c) Directy from Grandcourt.
(d) From gossip that he overhears on the street.
12. Why does Mirah dress in her poorest dress as she prepares to meet her brother?
(a) Because she knows her that her brother does not have any money.
(b) Because she does not want to make her brother uncomfortable.
(c) All of the answer choices are correct.
(d) Out of deference.
13. Who does Daniel tell about the news of his ethnicity?
(a) The reporter who has been following him around for weeks.
(b) Reverend Gascoigne.
14. Even though they have arrived to his uncle's house earlier in the day, when does Daniel finally see Grandcourt and Gwendolyn?
(a) At dinner.
(b) At a star-gazing session at midnight.
(c) At a smoking session after dinner.
(d) At a midnight fox hunt.
15. What does Daniel come to think about Lydia?
(a) He believes that she should be sent far away.
(b) He believes that the situation might be true.
(c) He believes that she is going to die soon anyway, so he should just stop worrying about her.
(d) He believes that she is a greedy blackmailer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hans realize to be loved by Mirah?
2. Where does Daniel's mother want to meet him?
3. Upon whose request does Sir Hugo keep Daniel's parentage a secret?
4. Where are Rex and Anne when they learn that Grandcourt has drowned?
5. Who does Gwendolyn request be sent to her after she and Sir Hugo discuss what Grandcourt has left her in the will?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)