|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Daniel's mother not want a child?
(a) She felt that she was too young to become a mother.
(b) She would have been outcast.
(c) She was impregnated by way of an affair.
(d) She did not want to be tied down.
2. What kind remark does Gwendolyn make to Daniel before she leaves the Abbey?
(a) That her life has been better for having known him.
(b) That she hopes he has a happy, joyful, and rich life.
(c) That she wishes her husband were more like him.
(d) That she is going to name her baby after him.
3. Whom does Hans confess to have fallen in love with to Daniel?
4. Where does Daniel have to travel to retrieve his family chest?
5. When Daniel's mother does arrive, when does she request to see him?
(a) Right away.
(b) The very next day.
(c) Not for another week.
(d) She never requests to see him.
6. What is Daniel's first reaction to learning about Lydia?
(a) He is confused because he is so honest and naive.
(b) He does not believe it.
(c) He is furiously angry.
(d) He threatens to kill anyone who mentions her name.
7. Who visits Gwendolyn after Grandcourt drowns?
(a) Catherine Arrowpoint.
(d) The Reverend Gascoigne and Mrs. Davilow.
8. What does Daniel notice about Mordecai upon returning to visit him after pawning his ring?
(a) That he is a thief and a cheat.
(b) That he is sick and dying.
(c) That he looks a lot like Sir Hugo.
(d) That he looks a lot like Mirah.
9. Who does Gwendolyn request be sent to her after she and Sir Hugo discuss what Grandcourt has left her in the will?
(c) Grandcourt's illegitimate son.
10. Who owned the chest that Daniel is now inheriting?
(a) His great-grandfather.
(b) His father.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) His uncle.
11. What type of work does Hans do as an adult?
(a) He is an artist.
(b) He is an engineer.
(c) He is a singer.
(d) He is a baker.
12. How does Grandcourt react to how Gwendolyn is talking to Daniel at the Abbey?
(a) He is happy that she has found a friend.
(b) He scolds her and tells her that she is acting in a way that is unbecoming.
(c) He is so arrogant that he does not even notice that they are conversing.
(d) He is jealous that they might be having a relationship.
13. What is the Abbey?
(a) Gwendolyn's home.
(b) Lydia's favorite restaurant.
(c) Sir Hugo's home.
(d) Gwendolyn's favorite park.
14. Who gives Daniel the letter from his mother?
(a) Sir Hugo.
(b) The mailman.
(d) A messenger.
15. What kind of relationship do Mordecai and Daniel develop after Daniel pawns his ring?
(a) One of suspicion.
(b) None. No relationship is formed between them.
(c) One of animosity.
(d) A close one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Joseph Kalonymos?
2. What did Sir Hugo promise to do with Daniel when Daniel's mother gave Daniel to him?
3. Where does Grandcourt want Gwendolyn's family to live?
4. How does Mordecai react to Daniel's kindness upon finding him a place to live?
5. Who tells Reverend Gascoigne the truth about Grandcourt's will?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)