|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Davilow react to Gwendolyn's increasing need for her after Grandcourt drowns?
(a) She considers it to be highly annoying.
(b) She hopes that it passes and that it is just a symptom of her grief.
(c) She finds it to be a normal psychological need.
(d) She is pleased with it.
2. What do the Cohens think about Mordecai reuniting with his sister?
(a) That it is in the stars and meant to happen.
(b) That it is only going to lead to envy and greed; and therefore should not happen.
(c) That it will only confuse Mordecai and his sister.
(d) That it should definitely happen.
3. Why does Hans have a drawing of Rex with him when he visits Daniel?
(a) Because he found it on the front step when he came to visit.
(b) Because he is trying to find the man in the picture.
(c) Because he bought it at a bazaar.
(d) Because he drew it.
4. Who gives Daniel the letter from his mother?
(a) The mailman.
(b) A messenger.
(c) Sir Hugo.
5. Who is Joseph Kalonymos?
(a) The messenger who informs Daniel that his mother is ready to meet with him.
(b) Daniel's new stepfather.
(c) A friend of Daniel's grandfather.
(d) Joseph Kalonymos is actually not a character in this novel.
6. What does Gwendolyn confess to Daniel while they are at the Abbey?
(a) That she is miserable.
(b) That she does not know what to do.
(c) All of the answer choices are correct.
(d) That she is bothered by the idea of Lydia.
7. What names does Mordecai tell Daniel he was called by a companion?
8. What religion does Daniel's mother tell him that she believes in?
9. Who does Hans realize to be loved by Mirah?
(c) The baker.
(d) No one.
10. What led Daniel's mother to marry the man who is now her husband?
(c) A fortuneteller's advice.
(d) Her fear that something was wrong with her voice.
11. Where are Rex and Anne when they learn that Grandcourt has drowned?
(a) At Gwendolyn's.
(b) At their Aunt Fanny's.
(c) At the pier.
(d) At the town square hearing the daily news.
12. Who tells Daniel that his mother wants to meet him?
(a) Sir Hugo.
13. What type of arrangements does Grandcourt refuse to discuss with Gwendolyn?
(a) The type that deal with housekeeping.
(b) Romantic type.
(c) Financial type.
(d) The type that deal with their children since he categorizes that as women's work.
14. What does Daniel notice about Mordecai upon returning to visit him after pawning his ring?
(a) That he is a thief and a cheat.
(b) That he looks a lot like Mirah.
(c) That he looks a lot like Sir Hugo.
(d) That he is sick and dying.
15. Who tells Mordecai that his younger sister has been found?
(a) Sir Hugo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sir Hugo promise to do with Daniel when Daniel's mother gave Daniel to him?
2. Even though they have arrived to his uncle's house earlier in the day, when does Daniel finally see Grandcourt and Gwendolyn?
3. What does Daniel's mother claim to be in the letter that she writes to him?
4. Whom does Hans confess to have fallen in love with to Daniel?
5. How is Mordecai notified that his father has taken his little sister away?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)