|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Daniel plan to do once he realizes that he has found Mirah's lost family?
(a) Help them live together.
(b) Publish the story of his journey in the local paper.
(c) Make sure that they do not find each other; it would upset everyone involved.
(d) Blackmail them so that he can get some money out of the situation.
2. What kind of relationship do Mordecai and Daniel develop after Daniel pawns his ring?
(a) One of suspicion.
(b) A close one.
(c) None. No relationship is formed between them.
(d) One of animosity.
3. What is the Abbey?
(a) Gwendolyn's home.
(b) Gwendolyn's favorite park.
(c) Sir Hugo's home.
(d) Lydia's favorite restaurant.
4. What does Daniel learn about his father?
(a) That he is dead.
(b) That he had 15 other children, all of whom he named Daniel.
(c) That Sir Hugo is his father.
(d) That he is very famous.
5. What is Daniel's first reaction to learning about Lydia?
(a) He is confused because he is so honest and naive.
(b) He does not believe it.
(c) He is furiously angry.
(d) He threatens to kill anyone who mentions her name.
6. What prevents Daniel from spending more time with Mordecai as they begin to grow closer?
(a) All of the answer choices are correct.
(b) Mordecai is not well enough to see him every day.
(c) He is very busy with his banking business.
(d) He has to run errands for Sir Hugo.
7. What type of arrangements does Grandcourt refuse to discuss with Gwendolyn?
(a) Financial type.
(b) Romantic type.
(c) The type that deal with housekeeping.
(d) The type that deal with their children since he categorizes that as women's work.
8. What led Daniel's mother to marry the man who is now her husband?
(a) A fortuneteller's advice.
(c) Her fear that something was wrong with her voice.
9. How long does Daniel wait before his mother finally arrives to see him?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Six months.
(c) Only a few hours.
(d) Five days.
10. What did Sir Hugo promise to do with Daniel when Daniel's mother gave Daniel to him?
(a) To raise him as a Jew.
(b) To never let his father know what happened to him.
(c) To never let him see his mother in a movie.
(d) To raise him like an English gentleman.
11. What does Daniel come to think about Lydia?
(a) He believes that she is going to die soon anyway, so he should just stop worrying about her.
(b) He believes that she should be sent far away.
(c) He believes that the situation might be true.
(d) He believes that she is a greedy blackmailer.
12. Who gives Daniel the letter from his mother?
(b) A messenger.
(c) The mailman.
(d) Sir Hugo.
13. What type of work does Hans do as an adult?
(a) He is a singer.
(b) He is an engineer.
(c) He is an artist.
(d) He is a baker.
14. What are Daniel and Sir Hugo upset about following Grandcourt's death?
(a) The way that the press is covering the story.
(b) The fact that he left all of his money to Gwendolyn and left nothing to Lydia.
(c) The fact that they were not included in the will.
(d) The meager allowance that he left for Gwendolyn.
15. What does Gwendolyn tell her mother about her marriage to Grandcourt as time goes on?
(a) That she is very happy.
(b) That she is having an affair.
(c) That she has fallen out of love with him, but that they are still friends.
(d) That she hates him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Davilow react to Gwendolyn's increasing need for her after Grandcourt drowns?
2. How does Eliot make it clear that Rex has gotten over Gwendolyn?
3. Whom does Daniel end up marrying when the novel concludes?
4. Who does Daniel request help from in opening and translating the chest?
5. What does Mrs. Meyrick advise Mirah to do when she thinks that she has seen her father?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)