|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item(s) does Grandcourt request from Lydia once he becomes engaged to Gwendolyn?
(a) His family chest.
(b) A very expensive scarf that he had given Lydia at the time that they first met.
(c) His family Bible.
2. Why does Daniel find his mission of pawning a ring to Ezra unsatisfactory?
(a) Because Ezra is not in the shop on the day that Daniel stops in.
(b) Because Ezra is not able to borrow the amount of money that he needs.
(c) Because he does not learn what he wanted to learn.
(d) Because Ezra figures out why he is really there.
3. Where is Mirah when she decides to run away from her father?
4. With whom has Gwendolyn come to the city to gamble?
(a) Her boyfriend.
(b) Some extended family members.
(d) No one.
5. Who is Rex?
(a) One of Gwendolyn's brothers.
(b) Gwendolyn's new music teacher.
(c) One of Anna's brothers.
(d) The town mayor.
6. Who is Catherine?
(a) A music teacher.
(b) Mrs. Arrowpoint's daughter.
(c) Mr. Arrowpoint's mistress.
(d) A governness in town.
7. Where does Mirah's father take her on a trip at the time that she is at a very young age?
(a) To China.
(b) To America.
(c) To Australia.
(d) To France.
8. What does Daniel give Mrs. Meyrick for Mirah?
(a) A locket.
(b) A book to read.
(c) The use of his nice big house.
(d) Money for her food and lodging.
9. What is Mirah lacking when Daniel finds her?
(a) Information on her mother and brother.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
10. Why does Daniel pawn a ring with Ezra Cohen?
(a) In order to see whether he is an honest man.
(b) In order to spend more time with him.
(c) In order to borrow money from him.
(d) In order to take a picture of him without his knowledge.
11. Who greets Grandcourt when he goes calling to Gwendolyn's house the day after she meets Lydia Glasher?
(a) Gwendolyn's mother.
(b) Gwendolyn herself; she is alone at home.
(c) No one; no one is home.
(d) The Reverend.
12. How does Gwendolyn react to Grandcourt's offer to put her jacket on her after the ball?
(a) She snubs him.
(b) She doesn't even bother looking at him for a response.
(c) She gets too embarassed and leaves hurriedly -- without her coat.
(d) She accepts.
13. Who tells Sir Hugo about the engagement between Gwendolyn and Grandcourt?
(a) The Reverend.
14. Where is the archery club having an outing when Gwendolyn is called away to meet someone?
(a) On her own grounds; she is hosting the event.
(b) At the Green Arbor.
(c) In the town square.
(d) In Oxford proper.
15. Why does Mirah run away from her father?
(a) She realizes that he is only after her money.
(b) She realizes that he is becoming an alcoholic.
(c) She realizes that he is planning to marry her off.
(d) She learns that the police are after him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Daniel supposed to travel with Sir Hugo soon after he finds Mirah at the river?
2. Which of the following is the only dance that Gwendolyn says that she will dance at the ball soon after she meets Grandcourt?
3. How does Grandcourt ask permission to visit Gwendolyn from her after he arrives in Offendene?
4. Who is Herr Klesmer?
5. How many younger sisters does Gwendolyn have?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)