|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Gwendolyn and Grandcourt go once they are married?
(a) To Paris.
(b) To Nice.
(c) To London.
(d) To his estate at Ryelands.
2. Who arranges housing for Gwendolyn and her family upon her return from her gambling trip?
(a) The government.
(b) Gwendolyn herself.
(c) An aunt and uncle.
3. Who is Anna?
(a) Daughter of Reverend and Mrs. Gascoigne.
(b) Reverend Gascoigne's wife.
(c) Cousin of Mrs. Gascoigne.
(d) Gwendolyn's friend who lives very far away.
4. How much time passes between the time that Grandcourt tells Mr. Lush that he would like to marry Gwendolyn and the time that he goes to her house to announce his intentions?
(a) Quite a bit.
(b) Only a few minutes.
(c) One day.
(d) Two days, because he knows that it is improper to visit on Sundays.
5. What does Ezra Cohen do for a living?
(a) He is a shop owner.
(b) He is a famous painter who lives like a hermit.
(c) He is the town mayor.
(d) He is the town baker.
6. What worry does Mrs. Gascoigne have about Gwendolyn when she first comes to town?
(a) That one of her sons will fall in love with her.
(b) That she will not be able to marry well.
(c) That she is not who she says she is.
(d) That she will steal from them.
7. What personal items does Gwendolyn give to her mother so that she can sell them and earn extra money?
(a) Her paintings.
(b) Her jewelry.
(c) Her musical instruments.
(d) Her fancy dresses.
8. Who greets Grandcourt when he goes calling to Gwendolyn's house the day after she meets Lydia Glasher?
(a) The Reverend.
(b) No one; no one is home.
(c) Gwendolyn's mother.
(d) Gwendolyn herself; she is alone at home.
9. How does Gwendolyn feel about gambling?
(a) That it is a great way for her to show off and gain admirers.
(b) That the wins and losses are no different than every day life.
(c) That it is a great thrill and one she misses dearly.
(d) That she could do it professionally if only women were allowed to gamble.
10. What causes Gwendolyn's winning gambling streak to end when the novel first opens?
(a) She is jarred by Daniel's presence.
(b) Her lucky charm is stolen.
(c) Her winning streak does not end.
(d) Someone takes her lucky dice.
11. Where is Daniel supposed to travel with Sir Hugo soon after he finds Mirah at the river?
12. Why is Herr Klesmer hesitant to confess his love for Catherine?
(a) Because he knows that she hates him.
(b) Because he is financially beneath her.
(c) Because he knows that she is already betrothed to someone else.
(d) Because he is already married.
13. What does Gwendolyn notice about Grandcourt during the ball?
(a) That he keeps tripping whenever she gets close.
(b) That he is watching her often.
(c) That he is paying attention to every other girl at the ball but her.
(d) That he keeps leaving the room and returning.
14. What does Daniel do upon seeing Gwendolyn for the first time that bothers her so much?
(a) Asks for her hand in marriage.
(b) Stares at her.
(c) Tells her that she looks fat in her dress.
(d) Makes her bow to him.
15. What does Grandcourt assure Lydia of after he tells her that he has become engaged to Gwendolyn?
(a) That he really wishes that he were engaged to her instead.
(b) That he will continue to take care of her and the children.
(c) That she must now address him as a boss and not a lover.
(d) That he will never see her again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item greatly upsets Gwendolyn at her first dinner at home with her new husband?
2. Which of the following is the only dance that Gwendolyn says that she will dance at the ball soon after she meets Grandcourt?
3. From whom does Grandcourt learn where Gwendolyn has actually traveled?
4. Who is Rex?
5. How does Gwendolyn react to what Lydia Glasher tells her when they first meet?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)