|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does Daniel make to Mirah in relation to finding her family?
(a) That he will keep her identity hidden from them if they ever come looking for her.
(b) That she does not need to look for them, because he will always take care of her.
(c) That he will always be honest.
(d) That he will help her as much as he can.
2. How does Gwendolyn react to Grandcourt's offer to put her jacket on her after the ball?
(a) She snubs him.
(b) She doesn't even bother looking at him for a response.
(c) She accepts.
(d) She gets too embarassed and leaves hurriedly -- without her coat.
3. What does Mirah's father teach her when she is young?
4. What does Grandcourt assure Lydia of after he tells her that he has become engaged to Gwendolyn?
(a) That he will continue to take care of her and the children.
(b) That he will never see her again.
(c) That he really wishes that he were engaged to her instead.
(d) That she must now address him as a boss and not a lover.
5. How does Sir Hugo find out about Gwendolyn and Grandcourt's engagement?
(a) By letter.
(b) The Reverend announces it after Sunday worship service.
(c) From the newspaper.
(d) He hears it in person.
6. What does Mrs. Davilow claim to have learned about Daniels' mother?
(a) That she was a very famous actress.
(b) That she was destitute.
(c) That she was "some foreigner of high rank".
(d) That she was murdered by someone she knew -- possibly Daniel's father.
7. What relationship does Ezra first claim to have with Mordecai?
(a) He claims not to know Mordecai at all.
(b) He claims that Mordecai is a former employee.
(c) He claims that he found Mordecai homeless on the street one day, and decided to take him in.
(d) He claims that Mordecai is a long-lost uncle.
8. Where does Gwendolyn's family move when she returns from her gambling trip?
9. What is Gwendolyn's first impression of Mr. Lush?
(a) That he is very ugly but possibly very rich.
(b) That he is handsome.
(c) That he is humble and very kind.
(d) She dislikes him.
10. How does Gwendolyn's mother feel about the possibility of Gwendolyn marrying Grandcourt?
(a) That he will make Gwendolyn as happy as any other man whom she is likely to marry.
(b) That Grandcourt is making a mistake, even though it would be good for Gwendolyn.
(c) That it is a horrible mistake.
(d) That Gwendolyn should refuse him on principle so that he asks again and offers the family more money.
11. What does Gwendolyn plan to do with the money that she gets from her necklace?
(a) Pay for her trip back home.
(b) Gamble just one more day.
(c) Buy fancy new dresses.
(d) Pay off her debts.
12. Where does Daniel first encounter Mordecai?
(a) At a bookstore.
(b) At the farmers' market.
(c) Randomly on the street.
(d) At the butcher shop.
13. Where does Mirah's father take her on a trip at the time that she is at a very young age?
(a) To China.
(b) To France.
(c) To Australia.
(d) To America.
14. Why does Grandcourt expect Daniel to be jealous?
(a) Because he is inheriting the baronetcy that could easily have been his.
(b) Because he is much more handsome.
(c) Because he is very famous for his poetry.
(d) Because he has much greater success with women.
15. Who does Mrs. Davilow think is likely to be Daniels' father?
(a) The Reverend.
(b) Sir Hugo.
(c) The mayor.
(d) A famous prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Anna appear - at least on the outside - when she sees Gwendolyn and learns of her engagement?
2. What does Grandcourt tell Gwendolyn upon arriving home after being married?
3. From whom does Grandcourt learn where Gwendolyn has actually traveled?
4. What hotel does Mr. Lush settle his "mystery guest" in as Grandcourt is preparing to propose to Gwendolyn?
5. How does Gwendolyn first feel about the idea of a proposal that is expected to come from Grandcourt?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)