|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gwendolyn notice about Grandcourt during the ball?
(a) That he is paying attention to every other girl at the ball but her.
(b) That he is watching her often.
(c) That he keeps tripping whenever she gets close.
(d) That he keeps leaving the room and returning.
2. What information does Lush discover about Gwendolyn's family while Grandcourt remains in Paris?
(a) That they are fleeing from Grandcourt.
(b) That they are facing financial ruin.
(c) That they are very, very wealthy.
(d) That they are planning to kidnap and possibly kill Lush.
3. What item greatly upsets Gwendolyn at her first dinner at home with her new husband?
(a) A dirty fork.
(b) A painting of Lydia that is hanging on the dining room wall.
(c) A spoon with Lydia's initials.
(d) A package from Lydia.
4. In what job does Mrs. Davilow think Gwendolyn will be happiest?
(a) As a nurse.
(b) As a singer.
(c) As a teacher.
(d) As a governess.
5. With whom has Gwendolyn come to the city to gamble?
(a) Her boyfriend.
(c) Some extended family members.
(d) No one.
6. How does Gwendolyn react to what Lydia Glasher tells her when they first meet?
(a) She becomes furiously, violently angry.
(b) She bursts into tears and has to be taken to a doctor.
(c) She pretends not to understand English.
(d) She remains cool and collected.
7. How does Sir Hugo find out about Gwendolyn and Grandcourt's engagement?
(a) He hears it in person.
(b) By letter.
(c) The Reverend announces it after Sunday worship service.
(d) From the newspaper.
8. What hotel does Mr. Lush settle his "mystery guest" in as Grandcourt is preparing to propose to Gwendolyn?
(a) The Leaky Cauldron.
(b) The Oxford Inn.
(c) The Hampton Inn.
(d) The Golden Keys.
9. How does Grandcourt ask permission to visit Gwendolyn from her after he arrives in Offendene?
(a) By letter.
(b) By messenger.
(c) By sending Mr. Lush, who purposely arrives late.
(d) In person.
10. What does Daniel do upon seeing Gwendolyn for the first time that bothers her so much?
(a) Makes her bow to him.
(b) Asks for her hand in marriage.
(c) Tells her that she looks fat in her dress.
(d) Stares at her.
11. What club does Gwendolyn join with Reverend Gascoigne?
(a) A chess club.
(b) A reading club.
(c) A singing club.
(d) An archery club.
12. Why does Grandcourt expect Daniel to be jealous?
(a) Because he is much more handsome.
(b) Because he has much greater success with women.
(c) Because he is very famous for his poetry.
(d) Because he is inheriting the baronetcy that could easily have been his.
13. What promise does Daniel make to Mirah in relation to finding her family?
(a) That he will help her as much as he can.
(b) That he will keep her identity hidden from them if they ever come looking for her.
(c) That he will always be honest.
(d) That she does not need to look for them, because he will always take care of her.
14. What relationship does Ezra first claim to have with Mordecai?
(a) He claims that Mordecai is a long-lost uncle.
(b) He claims not to know Mordecai at all.
(c) He claims that he found Mordecai homeless on the street one day, and decided to take him in.
(d) He claims that Mordecai is a former employee.
15. What does Gwendolyn's uncle think of the waltz?
(a) That it is quite beautiful, but only when done properly.
(b) That it is too risque for the young people to be doing.
(c) He is not sure what to think of it, since he has never seen it before.
(d) That it is overly showy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Following Catherine's announcement that she plans to marry Herr Klesmer, what do her parents do as soon as she leaves the room?
2. What does Ezra Cohen do for a living?
3. Why does Gwendolyn end up dancing with Grandcourt at the ball?
4. What animal does Gwendolyn want that Reverend Gascoigne cannot buy for his own daughter?
5. Which of the following is the only dance that Gwendolyn says that she will dance at the ball soon after she meets Grandcourt?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)