|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Gwendolyn want that Reverend Gascoigne cannot buy for his own daughter?
(a) A horse.
(b) A puppy.
(c) A kitten.
(d) A rabbit.
2. In what job does Mrs. Davilow think Gwendolyn will be happiest?
(a) As a teacher.
(b) As a singer.
(c) As a nurse.
(d) As a governess.
3. Why is Herr Klesmer hesitant to confess his love for Catherine?
(a) Because he knows that she is already betrothed to someone else.
(b) Because he is financially beneath her.
(c) Because he knows that she hates him.
(d) Because he is already married.
4. Why does Lush advise against Grandcourt proposing to Gwendolyn after Grandcourt arrives in Offendene from Paris?
(a) Because he thinks that his life will be in danger.
(b) Because he will now have to assume financial responsibility for Gwendolyn's family.
(c) Because he realizes that Gwendolyn is very spoiled and rude.
(d) Because he has had a dream that something bad happens, although he doesn't know what the bad occurrence is.
5. What do Catherine's parents threaten to do if she marries Herr Klesmer?
(a) Move her away to the countryside, away from all of her friends.
(b) Have her killed.
(c) Have him killed.
(d) Disown her.
6. Where does Mirah's father take her on a trip at the time that she is at a very young age?
(a) To America.
(b) To China.
(c) To France.
(d) To Australia.
7. What does Rex tell Anna that he is going to do after he is rebuffed by her?
(a) Move to Canada.
(b) Jump off a bridge.
(c) Never love anyone else.
(d) Propose again every day until she says "yes".
8. Who does the reader learn raised Grandcourt like a son?
(b) Sir Hugo Mallinger.
(c) The Reverend.
(d) Lydia Glasher.
9. Which two characters does Daniel come to realize to be living together?
(a) Ezra and Mordecai.
(b) Anna and Ezra.
(c) Anna and Gwendolyn.
(d) Mordecai and Ezra.
10. How does Gwendolyn react to what Lydia Glasher tells her when they first meet?
(a) She pretends not to understand English.
(b) She becomes furiously, violently angry.
(c) She remains cool and collected.
(d) She bursts into tears and has to be taken to a doctor.
11. What is the reason that Mrs. Davilow tells Gwendolyn that they are not going to be traveling or moving abroad?
(a) They do not have the money.
(b) She is tired of catering to Gwendolyn's every desire.
(c) She is getting too old and feeble.
(d) It is too dangerous to do that with the war going on.
12. Who is Catherine?
(a) Mr. Arrowpoint's mistress.
(b) A governness in town.
(c) Mrs. Arrowpoint's daughter.
(d) A music teacher.
13. What does Daniel do upon seeing Gwendolyn for the first time that bothers her so much?
(a) Stares at her.
(b) Asks for her hand in marriage.
(c) Makes her bow to him.
(d) Tells her that she looks fat in her dress.
14. How does Gwendolyn sell her necklace the morning that she leaves the gambling town?
(a) She sells it to the gambling house.
(b) She sells it to a girl on the street.
(c) She sells it to a pawn shop.
(d) She sells it to a man on the street.
15. Where do Gwendolyn and Grandcourt go once they are married?
(a) To his estate at Ryelands.
(b) To London.
(c) To Paris.
(d) To Nice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Arrowpoints hope that Grandcourt will do when he arrives in town?
2. What does Mordecai ask Daniel when they first meet one another?
3. What socially awkward topic does Gwendolyn ask Mrs. Davilow about after she is engaged?
4. What is Mirah lacking when Daniel finds her?
5. Where is the archery club having an outing when Gwendolyn is called away to meet someone?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)