|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item greatly upsets Gwendolyn at her first dinner at home with her new husband?
(a) A dirty fork.
(b) A spoon with Lydia's initials.
(c) A painting of Lydia that is hanging on the dining room wall.
(d) A package from Lydia.
2. Where does Daniel first encounter Mordecai?
(a) At the farmers' market.
(b) At the butcher shop.
(c) At a bookstore.
(d) Randomly on the street.
3. How does Gwendolyn's mother feel about the possibility of Gwendolyn marrying Grandcourt?
(a) That it is a horrible mistake.
(b) That he will make Gwendolyn as happy as any other man whom she is likely to marry.
(c) That Grandcourt is making a mistake, even though it would be good for Gwendolyn.
(d) That Gwendolyn should refuse him on principle so that he asks again and offers the family more money.
4. What does Mirah's father teach her when she is young?
5. Where does Mirah's father take her on a trip at the time that she is at a very young age?
(a) To Australia.
(b) To France.
(c) To China.
(d) To America.
6. Who is Mr. Lush?
(a) Grandcourt's son.
(b) Grandcourt's father.
(c) Grandcourt's cousin.
(d) Grandcourt's assistant.
7. What does Herr Klesmer do for a living?
(a) All of the answer choices are correct.
(b) He is independently wealthy.
(c) He is a musician.
(d) His profession is not mentioned in the book.
8. Why does Gwendolyn have to leave the city and the gambling so suddenly?
(a) The train only leaves once a month, and she has to be on it.
(b) She is on the lam, and the police are after her.
(c) She is indebted to a lot of people.
(d) She receives a letter from her mother.
9. Why is Herr Klesmer hesitant to confess his love for Catherine?
(a) Because he knows that she is already betrothed to someone else.
(b) Because he knows that she hates him.
(c) Because he is financially beneath her.
(d) Because he is already married.
10. Where does Gwendolyn's family move when she returns from her gambling trip?
11. How does Grandcourt ask permission to visit Gwendolyn from her after he arrives in Offendene?
(a) By messenger.
(b) By sending Mr. Lush, who purposely arrives late.
(c) In person.
(d) By letter.
12. Following Catherine's announcement that she plans to marry Herr Klesmer, what do her parents do as soon as she leaves the room?
(a) Nothing; they do not talk, and pretend as though nothin happened.
(b) Call all of their friends and family because they are so happy about the engagement.
(c) Her mother faints; and her father punches a window out of anger.
(d) Discuss what they are going to do with their property.
13. What does Daniel think upon seeing Gwendolyn for the first time?
(a) That she is really quite ugly.
(b) That she is simple, but would look better with make-up.
(c) That she is unique-looking.
(d) That she looks resembles an old cousin of his.
14. Where is the archery club having an outing when Gwendolyn is called away to meet someone?
(a) In the town square.
(b) At the Green Arbor.
(c) In Oxford proper.
(d) On her own grounds; she is hosting the event.
15. How does Gwendolyn react to Grandcourt's offer to put her jacket on her after the ball?
(a) She doesn't even bother looking at him for a response.
(b) She accepts.
(c) She gets too embarassed and leaves hurriedly -- without her coat.
(d) She snubs him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the reader learn raised Grandcourt like a son?
2. What does Gwendolyn tell Herr Klesmer that she wants to do in order to earn money for her family?
3. What personal items does Gwendolyn give to her mother so that she can sell them and earn extra money?
4. From whom does Grandcourt learn where Gwendolyn has actually traveled?
5. How does Gwendolyn react to what Lydia Glasher tells her when they first meet?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)