|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Arrowpoints hope that Grandcourt will do when he arrives in town?
(a) Choose Anna to be his bride.
(b) Choose Lucinda to be his bride.
(c) Choose Catherine to be his bride.
(d) Choose Gwendolyn to be his bride.
2. Where does Mirah's father take her on a trip at the time that she is at a very young age?
(a) To Australia.
(b) To France.
(c) To America.
(d) To China.
3. What item greatly upsets Gwendolyn at her first dinner at home with her new husband?
(a) A painting of Lydia that is hanging on the dining room wall.
(b) A package from Lydia.
(c) A spoon with Lydia's initials.
(d) A dirty fork.
4. How does Gwendolyn's mother feel about the possibility of Gwendolyn marrying Grandcourt?
(a) That Grandcourt is making a mistake, even though it would be good for Gwendolyn.
(b) That it is a horrible mistake.
(c) That he will make Gwendolyn as happy as any other man whom she is likely to marry.
(d) That Gwendolyn should refuse him on principle so that he asks again and offers the family more money.
5. What personal items does Gwendolyn give to her mother so that she can sell them and earn extra money?
(a) Her musical instruments.
(b) Her jewelry.
(c) Her paintings.
(d) Her fancy dresses.
6. Who does the reader learn raised Grandcourt like a son?
(a) Sir Hugo Mallinger.
(b) The Reverend.
(c) Lydia Glasher.
7. Where do Gwendolyn and Grandcourt go once they are married?
(a) To Paris.
(b) To Nice.
(c) To his estate at Ryelands.
(d) To London.
8. How does Gwendolyn first feel about the idea of a proposal that is expected to come from Grandcourt?
(a) She is acting uninterested, but really feels like an excited little girl.
(b) She can hardly contain herself, she is so excited.
(c) She wants to say yes, but cannott bring herself to make that decision.
(d) She hopes that he does not ask so that she doesn't have to refuse him.
9. With whom has Gwendolyn come to the city to gamble?
(a) Some extended family members.
(c) No one.
(d) Her boyfriend.
10. What does Mrs. Davilow claim to have learned about Daniels' mother?
(a) That she was a very famous actress.
(b) That she was "some foreigner of high rank".
(c) That she was destitute.
(d) That she was murdered by someone she knew -- possibly Daniel's father.
11. Who is Anna?
(a) Gwendolyn's friend who lives very far away.
(b) Cousin of Mrs. Gascoigne.
(c) Reverend Gascoigne's wife.
(d) Daughter of Reverend and Mrs. Gascoigne.
12. How does Gwendolyn react to what Lydia Glasher tells her when they first meet?
(a) She becomes furiously, violently angry.
(b) She pretends not to understand English.
(c) She bursts into tears and has to be taken to a doctor.
(d) She remains cool and collected.
13. What does Gwendolyn tell Herr Klesmer that she wants to do in order to earn money for her family?
(a) Become a prostitute.
(b) Finally talk about the money that she has been hiding away.
(c) Sell all of her jewelry.
(d) Go onstage.
14. What is Gwendolyn's first impression of Mr. Lush?
(a) That he is humble and very kind.
(b) She dislikes him.
(c) That he is very ugly but possibly very rich.
(d) That he is handsome.
15. What does Grandcourt tell Gwendolyn upon arriving home after being married?
(a) That he is "more in love than he'd thought he ever would be".
(b) That her "life begins anew again".
(c) That she must begin conducting herself with more dignity.
(d) That she is now "his wife in love and life".
Short Answer Questions
1. What item(s) does Grandcourt request from Lydia once he becomes engaged to Gwendolyn?
2. What socially awkward topic does Gwendolyn ask Mrs. Davilow about after she is engaged?
3. In what job does Mrs. Davilow think Gwendolyn will be happiest?
4. What does Daniel give Mrs. Meyrick for Mirah?
5. Where is Mirah when she decides to run away from her father?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)