|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Daniel first encounter Mordecai?
(a) At the farmers' market.
(b) Randomly on the street.
(c) At the butcher shop.
(d) At a bookstore.
2. What information does Lush discover about Gwendolyn's family while Grandcourt remains in Paris?
(a) That they are planning to kidnap and possibly kill Lush.
(b) That they are fleeing from Grandcourt.
(c) That they are facing financial ruin.
(d) That they are very, very wealthy.
3. How does Lydia react to the news that Grandcourt is engaged?
(a) She is sad.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She becomes depressed instantly.
4. Why is Herr Klesmer hesitant to confess his love for Catherine?
(a) Because he knows that she hates him.
(b) Because he knows that she is already betrothed to someone else.
(c) Because he is financially beneath her.
(d) Because he is already married.
5. Where is Daniel supposed to travel with Sir Hugo soon after he finds Mirah at the river?
6. Who does the reader learn raised Grandcourt like a son?
(b) Sir Hugo Mallinger.
(c) The Reverend.
(d) Lydia Glasher.
7. How does Gwendolyn first feel about the idea of a proposal that is expected to come from Grandcourt?
(a) She wants to say yes, but cannott bring herself to make that decision.
(b) She hopes that he does not ask so that she doesn't have to refuse him.
(c) She can hardly contain herself, she is so excited.
(d) She is acting uninterested, but really feels like an excited little girl.
8. What does Gwendolyn think that she must do if she is going to win spectacularly?
(a) Pay money to a fortune teller.
(b) Pray harder and longer at night.
(c) Also lose spectacularly.
(d) Pretend to faint so that she can leave without paying.
9. Who is Anna?
(a) Reverend Gascoigne's wife.
(b) Daughter of Reverend and Mrs. Gascoigne.
(c) Cousin of Mrs. Gascoigne.
(d) Gwendolyn's friend who lives very far away.
10. What does Gwendolyn plan to do with the money that she gets from her necklace?
(a) Buy fancy new dresses.
(b) Pay for her trip back home.
(c) Gamble just one more day.
(d) Pay off her debts.
11. What do the Arrowpoints hope that Grandcourt will do when he arrives in town?
(a) Choose Lucinda to be his bride.
(b) Choose Anna to be his bride.
(c) Choose Gwendolyn to be his bride.
(d) Choose Catherine to be his bride.
12. Why does Herr tell Gwendolyn that she cannot count on Catherine as a patron?
(a) Because Gwendolyn is now too poor for them to associate with her.
(b) Because Catherine has found out about Gwendolyn having gossiped about her.
(c) Because her parents have disowned her.
(d) Because she is too jealous of their engagement.
13. Which two characters does Daniel come to realize to be living together?
(a) Anna and Gwendolyn.
(b) Mordecai and Ezra.
(c) Anna and Ezra.
(d) Ezra and Mordecai.
14. What causes Gwendolyn's winning gambling streak to end when the novel first opens?
(a) Her lucky charm is stolen.
(b) Someone takes her lucky dice.
(c) She is jarred by Daniel's presence.
(d) Her winning streak does not end.
15. Who arranges housing for Gwendolyn and her family upon her return from her gambling trip?
(a) An aunt and uncle.
(b) Gwendolyn herself.
(d) The government.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gwendolyn's mother feel about the possibility of Gwendolyn marrying Grandcourt?
2. How does Catherine feel about Herr Klesmer?
3. What does Grandcourt assure Lydia of after he tells her that he has become engaged to Gwendolyn?
4. What worry does Mrs. Gascoigne have about Gwendolyn when she first comes to town?
5. What item greatly upsets Gwendolyn at her first dinner at home with her new husband?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)