|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Herr tell Gwendolyn that she cannot count on Catherine as a patron?
(a) Because Gwendolyn is now too poor for them to associate with her.
(b) Because she is too jealous of their engagement.
(c) Because Catherine has found out about Gwendolyn having gossiped about her.
(d) Because her parents have disowned her.
2. Why does Mirah run away from her father?
(a) She realizes that he is planning to marry her off.
(b) She realizes that he is becoming an alcoholic.
(c) She realizes that he is only after her money.
(d) She learns that the police are after him.
3. What does Mirah's father teach her when she is young?
4. With whom has Gwendolyn come to the city to gamble?
(a) Her boyfriend.
(c) No one.
(d) Some extended family members.
5. What do the Arrowpoints hope that Grandcourt will do when he arrives in town?
(a) Choose Gwendolyn to be his bride.
(b) Choose Catherine to be his bride.
(c) Choose Lucinda to be his bride.
(d) Choose Anna to be his bride.
6. Who is Anna?
(a) Gwendolyn's friend who lives very far away.
(b) Daughter of Reverend and Mrs. Gascoigne.
(c) Cousin of Mrs. Gascoigne.
(d) Reverend Gascoigne's wife.
7. How does Gwendolyn feel about gambling?
(a) That it is a great thrill and one she misses dearly.
(b) That the wins and losses are no different than every day life.
(c) That it is a great way for her to show off and gain admirers.
(d) That she could do it professionally if only women were allowed to gamble.
8. What causes Gwendolyn's winning gambling streak to end when the novel first opens?
(a) Someone takes her lucky dice.
(b) Her lucky charm is stolen.
(c) Her winning streak does not end.
(d) She is jarred by Daniel's presence.
9. What does Daniel give Mrs. Meyrick for Mirah?
(a) The use of his nice big house.
(b) A book to read.
(c) Money for her food and lodging.
(d) A locket.
10. What does Ezra Cohen do for a living?
(a) He is the town baker.
(b) He is a shop owner.
(c) He is the town mayor.
(d) He is a famous painter who lives like a hermit.
11. How does Grandcourt ask permission to visit Gwendolyn from her after he arrives in Offendene?
(a) By letter.
(b) In person.
(c) By messenger.
(d) By sending Mr. Lush, who purposely arrives late.
12. Why does Gwendolyn say that she cannot dance with Grandcourt at the ball?
(a) Because her ankle is sore.
(b) Because she is too embarassed to be seen dancing with him.
(c) Because her card is already filled.
(d) Because she does not like him.
13. What is the dance that Gwendolyn states that she will not dance at the ball soon after she meets Grandcourt?
(a) The quadrille.
(b) The stilta.
(c) The polka.
(d) The waltz.
14. Why does Gwendolyn end up dancing with Grandcourt at the ball?
(a) Because her mother makes her.
(b) Because the person she was supposed to dance with disappears.
(c) Because he has finally won her affection.
(d) Because he offers to wrap up her ankle so that she can dance at least once.
15. Where does Gwendolyn tell her mother that she is going the day after she meets Lydia Glasher?
(a) To join friends in Dover.
(b) No one knows; she just disappears from everyone's sight.
(c) On her honeymoon.
(d) To the hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters does Daniel come to realize to be living together?
2. Why is Herr Klesmer hesitant to confess his love for Catherine?
3. What does Gwendolyn request after speaking to Lydia Glasher for the first time?
4. What does Mrs. Davilow claim to have learned about Daniels' mother?
5. Who does the reader learn raised Grandcourt like a son?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)