|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mrs. Davilow, what two options are available as a profession for Gwendolyn?
(a) Being a painter in a museum or a singer in a choir.
(b) Being a nurse in a hosptial or a nun in a church.
(c) Being a teacher in a university or a professor at an all-girls school.
(d) Being a teacher in a school or a governess to a family.
2. What promise does Daniel make to Mirah in relation to finding her family?
(a) That she does not need to look for them, because he will always take care of her.
(b) That he will help her as much as he can.
(c) That he will always be honest.
(d) That he will keep her identity hidden from them if they ever come looking for her.
3. What do the Arrowpoints hope that Grandcourt will do when he arrives in town?
(a) Choose Catherine to be his bride.
(b) Choose Anna to be his bride.
(c) Choose Gwendolyn to be his bride.
(d) Choose Lucinda to be his bride.
4. What does Grandcourt assure Lydia of after he tells her that he has become engaged to Gwendolyn?
(a) That he will continue to take care of her and the children.
(b) That she must now address him as a boss and not a lover.
(c) That he will never see her again.
(d) That he really wishes that he were engaged to her instead.
5. Where is Mirah when she decides to run away from her father?
6. What does Grandcourt tell Gwendolyn upon arriving home after being married?
(a) That her "life begins anew again".
(b) That she must begin conducting herself with more dignity.
(c) That she is now "his wife in love and life".
(d) That he is "more in love than he'd thought he ever would be".
7. Who tells Sir Hugo about the engagement between Gwendolyn and Grandcourt?
(b) The Reverend.
8. Why does Gwendolyn have to leave the city and the gambling so suddenly?
(a) She receives a letter from her mother.
(b) The train only leaves once a month, and she has to be on it.
(c) She is on the lam, and the police are after her.
(d) She is indebted to a lot of people.
9. What does Rex tell Anna that he is going to do after he is rebuffed by her?
(a) Propose again every day until she says "yes".
(b) Move to Canada.
(c) Never love anyone else.
(d) Jump off a bridge.
10. Where do Gwendolyn and Grandcourt go once they are married?
(a) To Paris.
(b) To London.
(c) To his estate at Ryelands.
(d) To Nice.
11. How quickly does Grandcourt want to get married to Gwendolyn once she accepts his proposal?
(a) Within a few weeks.
(b) Right away -- like that night.
(c) He wants to wait a year for the sake of tradition.
(d) In exactly 34 days, since 34 is his lucky number.
12. What animal does Gwendolyn want that Reverend Gascoigne cannot buy for his own daughter?
(a) A horse.
(b) A puppy.
(c) A kitten.
(d) A rabbit.
13. How does Grandcourt ask permission to visit Gwendolyn from her after he arrives in Offendene?
(a) In person.
(b) By sending Mr. Lush, who purposely arrives late.
(c) By letter.
(d) By messenger.
14. What information does Lush discover about Gwendolyn's family while Grandcourt remains in Paris?
(a) That they are fleeing from Grandcourt.
(b) That they are facing financial ruin.
(c) That they are very, very wealthy.
(d) That they are planning to kidnap and possibly kill Lush.
15. What does Gwendolyn notice about Grandcourt during the ball?
(a) That he is paying attention to every other girl at the ball but her.
(b) That he is watching her often.
(c) That he keeps leaving the room and returning.
(d) That he keeps tripping whenever she gets close.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Herr tell Gwendolyn that she cannot count on Catherine as a patron?
2. What hotel does Mr. Lush settle his "mystery guest" in as Grandcourt is preparing to propose to Gwendolyn?
3. How does Catherine feel about Herr Klesmer?
4. What do Catherine's parents threaten to do if she marries Herr Klesmer?
5. How does Anna appear - at least on the outside - when she sees Gwendolyn and learns of her engagement?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)