|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gwendolyn feel about gambling?
(a) That it is a great thrill and one she misses dearly.
(b) That she could do it professionally if only women were allowed to gamble.
(c) That it is a great way for her to show off and gain admirers.
(d) That the wins and losses are no different than every day life.
2. What does Gwendolyn's uncle think of the waltz?
(a) That it is quite beautiful, but only when done properly.
(b) That it is overly showy.
(c) That it is too risque for the young people to be doing.
(d) He is not sure what to think of it, since he has never seen it before.
3. What animal does Gwendolyn want that Reverend Gascoigne cannot buy for his own daughter?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A kitten.
(d) A horse.
4. What does Gwendolyn think that she must do if she is going to win spectacularly?
(a) Also lose spectacularly.
(b) Pretend to faint so that she can leave without paying.
(c) Pray harder and longer at night.
(d) Pay money to a fortune teller.
5. What do the Arrowpoints hope that Grandcourt will do when he arrives in town?
(a) Choose Lucinda to be his bride.
(b) Choose Catherine to be his bride.
(c) Choose Anna to be his bride.
(d) Choose Gwendolyn to be his bride.
6. Who is Catherine?
(a) Mrs. Arrowpoint's daughter.
(b) A governness in town.
(c) Mr. Arrowpoint's mistress.
(d) A music teacher.
7. In what job does Mrs. Davilow think Gwendolyn will be happiest?
(a) As a teacher.
(b) As a singer.
(c) As a governess.
(d) As a nurse.
8. Who is Herr Klesmer?
(a) A famous professor.
(b) The town baker.
(c) A music teacher.
(d) The town mayor.
9. What does Daniel give Mrs. Meyrick for Mirah?
(a) A book to read.
(b) The use of his nice big house.
(c) A locket.
(d) Money for her food and lodging.
10. How does Daniel feel about gambling?
(a) He does not enjoy it because his win is someone else's loss.
(b) He used to be addicted to it, so he cannot play anymore.
(c) He is currently addicted to it, and is heavily in debt.
(d) He finds it incredibly boring.
11. Why does Grandcourt expect Daniel to be jealous?
(a) Because he is very famous for his poetry.
(b) Because he is inheriting the baronetcy that could easily have been his.
(c) Because he is much more handsome.
(d) Because he has much greater success with women.
12. Why does Lush advise against Grandcourt proposing to Gwendolyn after Grandcourt arrives in Offendene from Paris?
(a) Because he thinks that his life will be in danger.
(b) Because he realizes that Gwendolyn is very spoiled and rude.
(c) Because he has had a dream that something bad happens, although he doesn't know what the bad occurrence is.
(d) Because he will now have to assume financial responsibility for Gwendolyn's family.
13. What do Catherine's parents threaten to do if she marries Herr Klesmer?
(a) Have him killed.
(b) Move her away to the countryside, away from all of her friends.
(c) Disown her.
(d) Have her killed.
14. According to Mrs. Davilow, what two options are available as a profession for Gwendolyn?
(a) Being a nurse in a hosptial or a nun in a church.
(b) Being a teacher in a school or a governess to a family.
(c) Being a teacher in a university or a professor at an all-girls school.
(d) Being a painter in a museum or a singer in a choir.
15. What does Mrs. Davilow claim to have learned about Daniels' mother?
(a) That she was murdered by someone she knew -- possibly Daniel's father.
(b) That she was destitute.
(c) That she was "some foreigner of high rank".
(d) That she was a very famous actress.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gwendolyn sell her necklace the morning that she leaves the gambling town?
2. How does Gwendolyn perceive Daniel for the first time?
3. What does Herr Klesmer do for a living?
4. How do Reverend and Mrs. Gascoigne react to Gwendolyn when they learn of her engagement to Grandcourt?
5. Where is Daniel supposed to travel with Sir Hugo soon after he finds Mirah at the river?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)