|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Daniel feel about gambling?
(a) He finds it incredibly boring.
(b) He does not enjoy it because his win is someone else's loss.
(c) He used to be addicted to it, so he cannot play anymore.
(d) He is currently addicted to it, and is heavily in debt.
2. What personal items does Gwendolyn give to her mother so that she can sell them and earn extra money?
(a) Her fancy dresses.
(b) Her musical instruments.
(c) Her jewelry.
(d) Her paintings.
3. What does Daniel do upon seeing Gwendolyn for the first time that bothers her so much?
(a) Makes her bow to him.
(b) Tells her that she looks fat in her dress.
(c) Stares at her.
(d) Asks for her hand in marriage.
4. With whom has Gwendolyn come to the city to gamble?
(a) Some extended family members.
(b) Her boyfriend.
(c) No one.
5. Who is Herr Klesmer?
(a) The town mayor.
(b) The town baker.
(c) A music teacher.
(d) A famous professor.
6. How does Sir Hugo find out about Gwendolyn and Grandcourt's engagement?
(a) By letter.
(b) From the newspaper.
(c) The Reverend announces it after Sunday worship service.
(d) He hears it in person.
7. What does Gwendolyn plan to do with the money that she gets from her necklace?
(a) Pay for her trip back home.
(b) Pay off her debts.
(c) Gamble just one more day.
(d) Buy fancy new dresses.
8. How does Gwendolyn react to what Lydia Glasher tells her when they first meet?
(a) She bursts into tears and has to be taken to a doctor.
(b) She becomes furiously, violently angry.
(c) She remains cool and collected.
(d) She pretends not to understand English.
9. How does Gwendolyn sell her necklace the morning that she leaves the gambling town?
(a) She sells it to the gambling house.
(b) She sells it to a man on the street.
(c) She sells it to a pawn shop.
(d) She sells it to a girl on the street.
10. What item(s) does Grandcourt request from Lydia once he becomes engaged to Gwendolyn?
(a) His family chest.
(c) His family Bible.
(d) A very expensive scarf that he had given Lydia at the time that they first met.
11. According to Mrs. Davilow, what two options are available as a profession for Gwendolyn?
(a) Being a painter in a museum or a singer in a choir.
(b) Being a teacher in a school or a governess to a family.
(c) Being a nurse in a hosptial or a nun in a church.
(d) Being a teacher in a university or a professor at an all-girls school.
12. What does Herr Klesmer do for a living?
(a) He is independently wealthy.
(b) All of the answer choices are correct.
(c) His profession is not mentioned in the book.
(d) He is a musician.
13. Why does Gwendolyn end up dancing with Grandcourt at the ball?
(a) Because he has finally won her affection.
(b) Because the person she was supposed to dance with disappears.
(c) Because he offers to wrap up her ankle so that she can dance at least once.
(d) Because her mother makes her.
14. From whom does Grandcourt learn where Gwendolyn has actually traveled?
(a) Daniel Deronda.
(b) Gwendolyn herself (in a letter).
(c) Sir Hugo Mallinger.
(d) Lydia Glasher.
15. What does Gwendolyn tell Grandcourt right after she meets Lydia Glasher?
(a) That he is a lying cheat.
(b) That she wants to get married that very night.
(c) That she never wants to see him again.
(d) That he can visit her the next day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What socially awkward topic does Gwendolyn ask Mrs. Davilow about after she is engaged?
2. How does Herr Klesmer respond when he hears Gwendolyn perform?
3. How does Gwendolyn react to the confession by Rex that he loves her?
4. How does Gwendolyn feel about gambling?
5. How does Gwendolyn's mother feel about the possibility of Gwendolyn marrying Grandcourt?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)