|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gwendolyn's uncle think of the waltz?
(a) That it is overly showy.
(b) That it is too risque for the young people to be doing.
(c) That it is quite beautiful, but only when done properly.
(d) He is not sure what to think of it, since he has never seen it before.
2. How does Gwendolyn react to what Lydia Glasher tells her when they first meet?
(a) She remains cool and collected.
(b) She bursts into tears and has to be taken to a doctor.
(c) She becomes furiously, violently angry.
(d) She pretends not to understand English.
3. What causes Gwendolyn's winning gambling streak to end when the novel first opens?
(a) Her lucky charm is stolen.
(b) Her winning streak does not end.
(c) She is jarred by Daniel's presence.
(d) Someone takes her lucky dice.
4. What does Mirah's father teach her when she is young?
5. What will Mrs. Davilow's younger girls be doing to earn money for the family?
(a) Selling baked goods.
(c) Joining the nunnery.
(d) Working as house servants.
6. Why does Grandcourt expect Daniel to be jealous?
(a) Because he is very famous for his poetry.
(b) Because he is much more handsome.
(c) Because he is inheriting the baronetcy that could easily have been his.
(d) Because he has much greater success with women.
7. In what job does Mrs. Davilow think Gwendolyn will be happiest?
(a) As a singer.
(b) As a governess.
(c) As a nurse.
(d) As a teacher.
8. What does Gwendolyn request after speaking to Lydia Glasher for the first time?
(a) To be taken to a doctor.
(b) To have the woman arrested.
(c) To have a private investigator follow Glasher to see what she is really doing.
(d) To leave the archery event early.
9. What animal does Gwendolyn want that Reverend Gascoigne cannot buy for his own daughter?
(a) A horse.
(b) A puppy.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A kitten.
10. Who is Mr. Lush?
(a) Grandcourt's son.
(b) Grandcourt's assistant.
(c) Grandcourt's father.
(d) Grandcourt's cousin.
11. What does Gwendolyn tell Herr Klesmer that she wants to do in order to earn money for her family?
(a) Go onstage.
(b) Sell all of her jewelry.
(c) Finally talk about the money that she has been hiding away.
(d) Become a prostitute.
12. Where is the archery club having an outing when Gwendolyn is called away to meet someone?
(a) In the town square.
(b) On her own grounds; she is hosting the event.
(c) At the Green Arbor.
(d) In Oxford proper.
13. Why does Gwendolyn end up dancing with Grandcourt at the ball?
(a) Because he offers to wrap up her ankle so that she can dance at least once.
(b) Because her mother makes her.
(c) Because the person she was supposed to dance with disappears.
(d) Because he has finally won her affection.
14. What does Mrs. Davilow hope that Grandcourt will do when he arrives in town?
(a) Choose Lucinda to be his bride.
(b) Choose Catherine to be his bride.
(c) Choose Anna to be his bride.
(d) Choose Gwendolyn to be his bride.
15. How does Gwendolyn react to Grandcourt's offer to put her jacket on her after the ball?
(a) She accepts.
(b) She doesn't even bother looking at him for a response.
(c) She snubs him.
(d) She gets too embarassed and leaves hurriedly -- without her coat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gwendolyn sell her necklace the morning that she leaves the gambling town?
2. Why does Daniel find his mission of pawning a ring to Ezra unsatisfactory?
3. How does Gwendolyn feel about gambling?
4. What does Reverend Gascoigne think that Gwendolyn should do if and when Grandcourt proposes?
5. Who is Catherine?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)