|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Sir Hugo about the engagement between Gwendolyn and Grandcourt?
(d) The Reverend.
2. How quickly does Grandcourt want to get married to Gwendolyn once she accepts his proposal?
(a) He wants to wait a year for the sake of tradition.
(b) Within a few weeks.
(c) Right away -- like that night.
(d) In exactly 34 days, since 34 is his lucky number.
3. What hotel does Mr. Lush settle his "mystery guest" in as Grandcourt is preparing to propose to Gwendolyn?
(a) The Golden Keys.
(b) The Leaky Cauldron.
(c) The Oxford Inn.
(d) The Hampton Inn.
4. Why does Herr tell Gwendolyn that she cannot count on Catherine as a patron?
(a) Because her parents have disowned her.
(b) Because Catherine has found out about Gwendolyn having gossiped about her.
(c) Because Gwendolyn is now too poor for them to associate with her.
(d) Because she is too jealous of their engagement.
5. Why does Daniel pawn a ring with Ezra Cohen?
(a) In order to spend more time with him.
(b) In order to take a picture of him without his knowledge.
(c) In order to see whether he is an honest man.
(d) In order to borrow money from him.
6. How does Catherine feel about Herr Klesmer?
(a) She loves him a little bit and is unsure.
(b) She really loves him very deeply.
(c) She doesn't like him, but thinks that she may grow to love him.
(d) She loves him madly and is obsessed with him to a point of being unhealthy.
7. How does Anna appear - at least on the outside - when she sees Gwendolyn and learns of her engagement?
(a) She is standoffish.
(b) Her eyes well up with tears, but she does not say anything.
(c) She is angry, even though she is secretly excited.
(d) She is polite and congratulatory.
8. Who arranges housing for Gwendolyn and her family upon her return from her gambling trip?
(a) Gwendolyn herself.
(b) An aunt and uncle.
(d) The government.
9. What does Gwendolyn tell Herr Klesmer that she wants to do in order to earn money for her family?
(a) Sell all of her jewelry.
(b) Go onstage.
(c) Become a prostitute.
(d) Finally talk about the money that she has been hiding away.
10. Following Catherine's announcement that she plans to marry Herr Klesmer, what do her parents do as soon as she leaves the room?
(a) Discuss what they are going to do with their property.
(b) Nothing; they do not talk, and pretend as though nothin happened.
(c) Call all of their friends and family because they are so happy about the engagement.
(d) Her mother faints; and her father punches a window out of anger.
11. According to Mrs. Davilow, what two options are available as a profession for Gwendolyn?
(a) Being a teacher in a university or a professor at an all-girls school.
(b) Being a nurse in a hosptial or a nun in a church.
(c) Being a painter in a museum or a singer in a choir.
(d) Being a teacher in a school or a governess to a family.
12. How does Gwendolyn feel about gambling?
(a) That she could do it professionally if only women were allowed to gamble.
(b) That it is a great thrill and one she misses dearly.
(c) That it is a great way for her to show off and gain admirers.
(d) That the wins and losses are no different than every day life.
13. What item(s) does Grandcourt request from Lydia once he becomes engaged to Gwendolyn?
(a) His family chest.
(b) A very expensive scarf that he had given Lydia at the time that they first met.
(d) His family Bible.
14. Where is Mirah when she decides to run away from her father?
15. Who does Mrs. Davilow think is likely to be Daniels' father?
(a) The mayor.
(b) The Reverend.
(c) Sir Hugo.
(d) A famous prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Daniel find his mission of pawning a ring to Ezra unsatisfactory?
2. What item greatly upsets Gwendolyn at her first dinner at home with her new husband?
3. What does Gwendolyn plan to do with the money that she gets from her necklace?
4. What does Mrs. Davilow hope that Grandcourt will do when he arrives in town?
5. Why does Mirah run away from her father?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)