|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Sir Hugo about the engagement between Gwendolyn and Grandcourt?
(a) The Reverend.
2. Who is Rex?
(a) One of Anna's brothers.
(b) The town mayor.
(c) One of Gwendolyn's brothers.
(d) Gwendolyn's new music teacher.
3. What is Mirah lacking when Daniel finds her?
(a) Information on her mother and brother.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
4. How quickly does Grandcourt want to get married to Gwendolyn once she accepts his proposal?
(a) In exactly 34 days, since 34 is his lucky number.
(b) Within a few weeks.
(c) Right away -- like that night.
(d) He wants to wait a year for the sake of tradition.
5. What does Daniel do upon seeing Gwendolyn for the first time that bothers her so much?
(a) Tells her that she looks fat in her dress.
(b) Asks for her hand in marriage.
(c) Stares at her.
(d) Makes her bow to him.
6. Following Catherine's announcement that she plans to marry Herr Klesmer, what do her parents do as soon as she leaves the room?
(a) Call all of their friends and family because they are so happy about the engagement.
(b) Her mother faints; and her father punches a window out of anger.
(c) Nothing; they do not talk, and pretend as though nothin happened.
(d) Discuss what they are going to do with their property.
7. How does Anna appear - at least on the outside - when she sees Gwendolyn and learns of her engagement?
(a) She is polite and congratulatory.
(b) She is angry, even though she is secretly excited.
(c) Her eyes well up with tears, but she does not say anything.
(d) She is standoffish.
8. How do Reverend and Mrs. Gascoigne react to Gwendolyn when they learn of her engagement to Grandcourt?
(a) They are furiously angry.
(b) They are not sure what to think.
(c) They congratulate her.
(d) They are horribly embarrassed.
9. How does Gwendolyn perceive Daniel for the first time?
(a) As an unfriendly stranger.
(b) As a warm, old friend.
(c) As a kind and humble man.
(d) As cruel and very loud.
10. What is the reason that Mrs. Davilow tells Gwendolyn that they are not going to be traveling or moving abroad?
(a) She is tired of catering to Gwendolyn's every desire.
(b) They do not have the money.
(c) She is getting too old and feeble.
(d) It is too dangerous to do that with the war going on.
11. What is Gwendolyn's first impression of Mr. Lush?
(a) That he is handsome.
(b) That he is humble and very kind.
(c) That he is very ugly but possibly very rich.
(d) She dislikes him.
12. What does Grandcourt assure Lydia of after he tells her that he has become engaged to Gwendolyn?
(a) That he will never see her again.
(b) That he really wishes that he were engaged to her instead.
(c) That he will continue to take care of her and the children.
(d) That she must now address him as a boss and not a lover.
13. In what job does Mrs. Davilow think Gwendolyn will be happiest?
(a) As a nurse.
(b) As a teacher.
(c) As a singer.
(d) As a governess.
14. What does Ezra Cohen do for a living?
(a) He is the town baker.
(b) He is the town mayor.
(c) He is a famous painter who lives like a hermit.
(d) He is a shop owner.
15. What does Gwendolyn plan to do with the money that she gets from her necklace?
(a) Pay off her debts.
(b) Pay for her trip back home.
(c) Buy fancy new dresses.
(d) Gamble just one more day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hotel does Mr. Lush settle his "mystery guest" in as Grandcourt is preparing to propose to Gwendolyn?
2. How does Gwendolyn react to what Lydia Glasher tells her when they first meet?
3. What item(s) does Grandcourt request from Lydia once he becomes engaged to Gwendolyn?
4. How much time passes between the time that Grandcourt tells Mr. Lush that he would like to marry Gwendolyn and the time that he goes to her house to announce his intentions?
5. How does Sir Hugo find out about Gwendolyn and Grandcourt's engagement?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)