|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what job does Mrs. Davilow think Gwendolyn will be happiest?
(a) As a governess.
(b) As a singer.
(c) As a teacher.
(d) As a nurse.
2. Who is Mr. Lush?
(a) Grandcourt's cousin.
(b) Grandcourt's father.
(c) Grandcourt's assistant.
(d) Grandcourt's son.
3. How does Herr Klesmer respond when he hears Gwendolyn perform?
(a) He proposes to her on the spot.
(b) He is amazed at her talents.
(c) He is condescending.
(d) He has to leave because he is so embarrassed for her.
4. Following Catherine's announcement that she plans to marry Herr Klesmer, what do her parents do as soon as she leaves the room?
(a) Her mother faints; and her father punches a window out of anger.
(b) Nothing; they do not talk, and pretend as though nothin happened.
(c) Discuss what they are going to do with their property.
(d) Call all of their friends and family because they are so happy about the engagement.
5. How does Gwendolyn react to what Lydia Glasher tells her when they first meet?
(a) She becomes furiously, violently angry.
(b) She remains cool and collected.
(c) She bursts into tears and has to be taken to a doctor.
(d) She pretends not to understand English.
6. What does Mrs. Davilow hope that Grandcourt will do when he arrives in town?
(a) Choose Catherine to be his bride.
(b) Choose Lucinda to be his bride.
(c) Choose Gwendolyn to be his bride.
(d) Choose Anna to be his bride.
7. What causes Gwendolyn's winning gambling streak to end when the novel first opens?
(a) She is jarred by Daniel's presence.
(b) Someone takes her lucky dice.
(c) Her lucky charm is stolen.
(d) Her winning streak does not end.
8. How does Lydia react to the news that Grandcourt is engaged?
(a) She is sad.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She becomes depressed instantly.
9. How does Daniel feel about gambling?
(a) He finds it incredibly boring.
(b) He is currently addicted to it, and is heavily in debt.
(c) He used to be addicted to it, so he cannot play anymore.
(d) He does not enjoy it because his win is someone else's loss.
10. Why is the name, "Ezra", significant in the book?
(a) It is the name of Daniel's lost brother.
(b) It is the name of Mirah's lost brother.
(c) It is the name of a boy who has a crush on Mirah.
(d) It is the name of a messenger boy who works for Daniel.
11. What does Ezra Cohen do for a living?
(a) He is the town mayor.
(b) He is a famous painter who lives like a hermit.
(c) He is the town baker.
(d) He is a shop owner.
12. Who tells Sir Hugo about the engagement between Gwendolyn and Grandcourt?
(d) The Reverend.
13. Why is Herr Klesmer hesitant to confess his love for Catherine?
(a) Because he knows that she is already betrothed to someone else.
(b) Because he is already married.
(c) Because he is financially beneath her.
(d) Because he knows that she hates him.
14. Why does Gwendolyn end up dancing with Grandcourt at the ball?
(a) Because he has finally won her affection.
(b) Because he offers to wrap up her ankle so that she can dance at least once.
(c) Because her mother makes her.
(d) Because the person she was supposed to dance with disappears.
15. What does Daniel think upon seeing Gwendolyn for the first time?
(a) That she is simple, but would look better with make-up.
(b) That she is really quite ugly.
(c) That she looks resembles an old cousin of his.
(d) That she is unique-looking.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gwendolyn react to Grandcourt's offer to put her jacket on her after the ball?
2. Why does Lush advise against Grandcourt proposing to Gwendolyn after Grandcourt arrives in Offendene from Paris?
3. What club does Gwendolyn join with Reverend Gascoigne?
4. What does Mrs. Davilow claim to have learned about Daniels' mother?
5. How does Grandcourt ask permission to visit Gwendolyn from her after he arrives in Offendene?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)