|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Herr Klesmer?
(a) The town mayor.
(b) A famous professor.
(c) A music teacher.
(d) The town baker.
2. How does Gwendolyn react to the confession by Rex that he loves her?
(a) She asks him to stop.
(b) She is silent because she is not sure how to react.
(c) She tells him that she is already engaged.
(d) She faints.
3. Who is Rex?
(a) Gwendolyn's new music teacher.
(b) One of Anna's brothers.
(c) The town mayor.
(d) One of Gwendolyn's brothers.
4. How does Gwendolyn feel about gambling?
(a) That the wins and losses are no different than every day life.
(b) That she could do it professionally if only women were allowed to gamble.
(c) That it is a great way for her to show off and gain admirers.
(d) That it is a great thrill and one she misses dearly.
5. What information does Lush discover about Gwendolyn's family while Grandcourt remains in Paris?
(a) That they are planning to kidnap and possibly kill Lush.
(b) That they are facing financial ruin.
(c) That they are fleeing from Grandcourt.
(d) That they are very, very wealthy.
6. Where does Daniel first encounter Mordecai?
(a) At the butcher shop.
(b) Randomly on the street.
(c) At a bookstore.
(d) At the farmers' market.
7. Why does Daniel pawn a ring with Ezra Cohen?
(a) In order to see whether he is an honest man.
(b) In order to spend more time with him.
(c) In order to borrow money from him.
(d) In order to take a picture of him without his knowledge.
8. What does Gwendolyn tell Grandcourt right after she meets Lydia Glasher?
(a) That he can visit her the next day.
(b) That she wants to get married that very night.
(c) That he is a lying cheat.
(d) That she never wants to see him again.
9. How does Gwendolyn react to Grandcourt's offer to put her jacket on her after the ball?
(a) She gets too embarassed and leaves hurriedly -- without her coat.
(b) She accepts.
(c) She doesn't even bother looking at him for a response.
(d) She snubs him.
10. How does Herr Klesmer respond when he hears Gwendolyn perform?
(a) He is amazed at her talents.
(b) He is condescending.
(c) He proposes to her on the spot.
(d) He has to leave because he is so embarrassed for her.
11. What item greatly upsets Gwendolyn at her first dinner at home with her new husband?
(a) A painting of Lydia that is hanging on the dining room wall.
(b) A dirty fork.
(c) A package from Lydia.
(d) A spoon with Lydia's initials.
12. According to Mrs. Davilow, what two options are available as a profession for Gwendolyn?
(a) Being a nurse in a hosptial or a nun in a church.
(b) Being a teacher in a university or a professor at an all-girls school.
(c) Being a teacher in a school or a governess to a family.
(d) Being a painter in a museum or a singer in a choir.
13. How does Gwendolyn react to what Lydia Glasher tells her when they first meet?
(a) She becomes furiously, violently angry.
(b) She bursts into tears and has to be taken to a doctor.
(c) She pretends not to understand English.
(d) She remains cool and collected.
14. Which of the following is the only dance that Gwendolyn says that she will dance at the ball soon after she meets Grandcourt?
(a) The quadrille.
(b) The waltz.
(c) The stilta.
(d) The polka.
15. Why does Lush advise against Grandcourt proposing to Gwendolyn after Grandcourt arrives in Offendene from Paris?
(a) Because he has had a dream that something bad happens, although he doesn't know what the bad occurrence is.
(b) Because he realizes that Gwendolyn is very spoiled and rude.
(c) Because he will now have to assume financial responsibility for Gwendolyn's family.
(d) Because he thinks that his life will be in danger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mirah lacking when Daniel finds her?
2. What does Gwendolyn think that she must do if she is going to win spectacularly?
3. Why is the name, "Ezra", significant in the book?
4. How does Gwendolyn react to Mr. Lush's offer to put her jacket on her after the ball?
5. What does Gwendolyn plan to do with the money that she gets from her necklace?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)