|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ezra Cohen do for a living?
(a) He is a shop owner.
(b) He is the town baker.
(c) He is the town mayor.
(d) He is a famous painter who lives like a hermit.
2. Who is Anna?
(a) Gwendolyn's friend who lives very far away.
(b) Cousin of Mrs. Gascoigne.
(c) Reverend Gascoigne's wife.
(d) Daughter of Reverend and Mrs. Gascoigne.
3. What does Herr Klesmer do for a living?
(a) He is independently wealthy.
(b) He is a musician.
(c) All of the answer choices are correct.
(d) His profession is not mentioned in the book.
4. What does Mirah's father teach her when she is young?
5. Where do Gwendolyn and Grandcourt go once they are married?
(a) To his estate at Ryelands.
(b) To London.
(c) To Nice.
(d) To Paris.
6. How many younger sisters does Gwendolyn have?
7. Who is Catherine?
(a) Mr. Arrowpoint's mistress.
(b) A music teacher.
(c) Mrs. Arrowpoint's daughter.
(d) A governness in town.
8. Why does Gwendolyn end up dancing with Grandcourt at the ball?
(a) Because the person she was supposed to dance with disappears.
(b) Because he offers to wrap up her ankle so that she can dance at least once.
(c) Because her mother makes her.
(d) Because he has finally won her affection.
9. What does Gwendolyn plan to do with the money that she gets from her necklace?
(a) Gamble just one more day.
(b) Pay for her trip back home.
(c) Pay off her debts.
(d) Buy fancy new dresses.
10. What relationship does Ezra first claim to have with Mordecai?
(a) He claims that Mordecai is a long-lost uncle.
(b) He claims that he found Mordecai homeless on the street one day, and decided to take him in.
(c) He claims not to know Mordecai at all.
(d) He claims that Mordecai is a former employee.
11. Where is Grandcourt first sent away to school?
12. How does Lydia react to the news that Grandcourt is engaged?
(a) She is confused.
(b) She is angry.
(c) She is sad.
(d) She becomes depressed instantly.
13. What does Daniel do upon seeing Gwendolyn for the first time that bothers her so much?
(a) Stares at her.
(b) Makes her bow to him.
(c) Tells her that she looks fat in her dress.
(d) Asks for her hand in marriage.
14. What does Mrs. Davilow hope that Grandcourt will do when he arrives in town?
(a) Choose Lucinda to be his bride.
(b) Choose Anna to be his bride.
(c) Choose Gwendolyn to be his bride.
(d) Choose Catherine to be his bride.
15. Who is Rex?
(a) The town mayor.
(b) One of Gwendolyn's brothers.
(c) One of Anna's brothers.
(d) Gwendolyn's new music teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets Grandcourt when he goes calling to Gwendolyn's house the day after she meets Lydia Glasher?
2. What does Gwendolyn tell Grandcourt right after she meets Lydia Glasher?
3. What socially awkward topic does Gwendolyn ask Mrs. Davilow about after she is engaged?
4. Who arranges housing for Gwendolyn and her family upon her return from her gambling trip?
5. What does Rex tell Anna that he is going to do after he is rebuffed by her?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)