|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gwendolyn tell Herr Klesmer that she wants to do in order to earn money for her family?
(a) Become a prostitute.
(b) Sell all of her jewelry.
(c) Go onstage.
(d) Finally talk about the money that she has been hiding away.
2. How does Gwendolyn react to the confession by Rex that he loves her?
(a) She tells him that she is already engaged.
(b) She asks him to stop.
(c) She is silent because she is not sure how to react.
(d) She faints.
3. Who is Anna?
(a) Daughter of Reverend and Mrs. Gascoigne.
(b) Gwendolyn's friend who lives very far away.
(c) Reverend Gascoigne's wife.
(d) Cousin of Mrs. Gascoigne.
4. What does Mrs. Davilow hope that Grandcourt will do when he arrives in town?
(a) Choose Anna to be his bride.
(b) Choose Catherine to be his bride.
(c) Choose Lucinda to be his bride.
(d) Choose Gwendolyn to be his bride.
5. Who arranges housing for Gwendolyn and her family upon her return from her gambling trip?
(b) The government.
(c) Gwendolyn herself.
(d) An aunt and uncle.
6. What promise does Daniel make to Mirah in relation to finding her family?
(a) That he will help her as much as he can.
(b) That he will always be honest.
(c) That he will keep her identity hidden from them if they ever come looking for her.
(d) That she does not need to look for them, because he will always take care of her.
7. What is the dance that Gwendolyn states that she will not dance at the ball soon after she meets Grandcourt?
(a) The stilta.
(b) The quadrille.
(c) The polka.
(d) The waltz.
8. What does Grandcourt assure Lydia of after he tells her that he has become engaged to Gwendolyn?
(a) That he will continue to take care of her and the children.
(b) That he really wishes that he were engaged to her instead.
(c) That she must now address him as a boss and not a lover.
(d) That he will never see her again.
9. How does Anna appear - at least on the outside - when she sees Gwendolyn and learns of her engagement?
(a) Her eyes well up with tears, but she does not say anything.
(b) She is standoffish.
(c) She is polite and congratulatory.
(d) She is angry, even though she is secretly excited.
10. Where does Gwendolyn tell her mother that she is going the day after she meets Lydia Glasher?
(a) To the hospital.
(b) No one knows; she just disappears from everyone's sight.
(c) On her honeymoon.
(d) To join friends in Dover.
11. Why does Lush advise against Grandcourt proposing to Gwendolyn after Grandcourt arrives in Offendene from Paris?
(a) Because he realizes that Gwendolyn is very spoiled and rude.
(b) Because he thinks that his life will be in danger.
(c) Because he will now have to assume financial responsibility for Gwendolyn's family.
(d) Because he has had a dream that something bad happens, although he doesn't know what the bad occurrence is.
12. How does Daniel feel about gambling?
(a) He is currently addicted to it, and is heavily in debt.
(b) He does not enjoy it because his win is someone else's loss.
(c) He finds it incredibly boring.
(d) He used to be addicted to it, so he cannot play anymore.
13. What does Mordecai ask Daniel when they first meet one another?
(a) Whether he is very rich.
(b) Whether he is an immigrant.
(c) Whether he is married.
(d) Whether he is Jewish.
14. What does Gwendolyn's uncle think of the waltz?
(a) That it is quite beautiful, but only when done properly.
(b) That it is overly showy.
(c) That it is too risque for the young people to be doing.
(d) He is not sure what to think of it, since he has never seen it before.
15. How does Gwendolyn react to what Lydia Glasher tells her when they first meet?
(a) She becomes furiously, violently angry.
(b) She pretends not to understand English.
(c) She remains cool and collected.
(d) She bursts into tears and has to be taken to a doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mirah lacking when Daniel finds her?
2. What personal items does Gwendolyn give to her mother so that she can sell them and earn extra money?
3. Where do Gwendolyn and Grandcourt go once they are married?
4. Who is Mr. Lush?
5. In what job does Mrs. Davilow think Gwendolyn will be happiest?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)