|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Daniel think upon seeing Gwendolyn for the first time?
(a) That she is simple, but would look better with make-up.
(b) That she looks resembles an old cousin of his.
(c) That she is unique-looking.
(d) That she is really quite ugly.
2. What does Gwendolyn tell Grandcourt right after she meets Lydia Glasher?
(a) That he can visit her the next day.
(b) That he is a lying cheat.
(c) That she wants to get married that very night.
(d) That she never wants to see him again.
3. How does Gwendolyn first feel about the idea of a proposal that is expected to come from Grandcourt?
(a) She hopes that he does not ask so that she doesn't have to refuse him.
(b) She can hardly contain herself, she is so excited.
(c) She wants to say yes, but cannott bring herself to make that decision.
(d) She is acting uninterested, but really feels like an excited little girl.
4. What does Reverend Gascoigne think that Gwendolyn should do if and when Grandcourt proposes?
(a) Tell him that he must ask for Rev. Gascoigne's permission first.
(b) Tell him that she needs time to think about it so she that doesn't seem too eager.
(c) Turn down the proposal.
(d) Accept the proposal.
5. How do Reverend and Mrs. Gascoigne react to Gwendolyn when they learn of her engagement to Grandcourt?
(a) They are furiously angry.
(b) They congratulate her.
(c) They are horribly embarrassed.
(d) They are not sure what to think.
6. Where is the archery club having an outing when Gwendolyn is called away to meet someone?
(a) In Oxford proper.
(b) At the Green Arbor.
(c) In the town square.
(d) On her own grounds; she is hosting the event.
7. How much time passes between the time that Grandcourt tells Mr. Lush that he would like to marry Gwendolyn and the time that he goes to her house to announce his intentions?
(a) Only a few minutes.
(b) Quite a bit.
(c) One day.
(d) Two days, because he knows that it is improper to visit on Sundays.
8. What does Mordecai ask Daniel when they first meet one another?
(a) Whether he is married.
(b) Whether he is an immigrant.
(c) Whether he is Jewish.
(d) Whether he is very rich.
9. Why does Daniel pawn a ring with Ezra Cohen?
(a) In order to see whether he is an honest man.
(b) In order to spend more time with him.
(c) In order to take a picture of him without his knowledge.
(d) In order to borrow money from him.
10. What does Mrs. Davilow claim to have learned about Daniels' mother?
(a) That she was destitute.
(b) That she was murdered by someone she knew -- possibly Daniel's father.
(c) That she was "some foreigner of high rank".
(d) That she was a very famous actress.
11. How does Herr Klesmer respond when he hears Gwendolyn perform?
(a) He is condescending.
(b) He has to leave because he is so embarrassed for her.
(c) He is amazed at her talents.
(d) He proposes to her on the spot.
12. What personal items does Gwendolyn give to her mother so that she can sell them and earn extra money?
(a) Her fancy dresses.
(b) Her musical instruments.
(c) Her paintings.
(d) Her jewelry.
13. What information does Lush discover about Gwendolyn's family while Grandcourt remains in Paris?
(a) That they are facing financial ruin.
(b) That they are very, very wealthy.
(c) That they are planning to kidnap and possibly kill Lush.
(d) That they are fleeing from Grandcourt.
14. What does Rex tell Anna that he is going to do after he is rebuffed by her?
(a) Never love anyone else.
(b) Propose again every day until she says "yes".
(c) Jump off a bridge.
(d) Move to Canada.
15. What does Ezra Cohen do for a living?
(a) He is the town baker.
(b) He is a shop owner.
(c) He is a famous painter who lives like a hermit.
(d) He is the town mayor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Herr Klesmer hesitant to confess his love for Catherine?
2. What does Mrs. Davilow hope that Grandcourt will do when he arrives in town?
3. What item(s) does Grandcourt request from Lydia once he becomes engaged to Gwendolyn?
4. Following Catherine's announcement that she plans to marry Herr Klesmer, what do her parents do as soon as she leaves the room?
5. Why does Herr tell Gwendolyn that she cannot count on Catherine as a patron?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)