|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gwendolyn think that she must do if she is going to win spectacularly?
(a) Pay money to a fortune teller.
(b) Pray harder and longer at night.
(c) Pretend to faint so that she can leave without paying.
(d) Also lose spectacularly.
2. Why does Gwendolyn have to leave the city and the gambling so suddenly?
(a) She is indebted to a lot of people.
(b) The train only leaves once a month, and she has to be on it.
(c) She is on the lam, and the police are after her.
(d) She receives a letter from her mother.
3. What does Gwendolyn tell Herr Klesmer that she wants to do in order to earn money for her family?
(a) Go onstage.
(b) Finally talk about the money that she has been hiding away.
(c) Sell all of her jewelry.
(d) Become a prostitute.
4. Where do Gwendolyn and Grandcourt go once they are married?
(a) To Nice.
(b) To Paris.
(c) To his estate at Ryelands.
(d) To London.
5. What hotel does Mr. Lush settle his "mystery guest" in as Grandcourt is preparing to propose to Gwendolyn?
(a) The Hampton Inn.
(b) The Golden Keys.
(c) The Leaky Cauldron.
(d) The Oxford Inn.
6. What promise does Daniel make to Mirah in relation to finding her family?
(a) That he will keep her identity hidden from them if they ever come looking for her.
(b) That he will always be honest.
(c) That he will help her as much as he can.
(d) That she does not need to look for them, because he will always take care of her.
7. What is the reason that Mrs. Davilow tells Gwendolyn that they are not going to be traveling or moving abroad?
(a) They do not have the money.
(b) She is getting too old and feeble.
(c) She is tired of catering to Gwendolyn's every desire.
(d) It is too dangerous to do that with the war going on.
8. What worry does Mrs. Gascoigne have about Gwendolyn when she first comes to town?
(a) That she is not who she says she is.
(b) That she will steal from them.
(c) That she will not be able to marry well.
(d) That one of her sons will fall in love with her.
9. What does Mrs. Davilow claim to have learned about Daniels' mother?
(a) That she was a very famous actress.
(b) That she was "some foreigner of high rank".
(c) That she was murdered by someone she knew -- possibly Daniel's father.
(d) That she was destitute.
10. What does Daniel give Mrs. Meyrick for Mirah?
(a) A locket.
(b) The use of his nice big house.
(c) Money for her food and lodging.
(d) A book to read.
11. What socially awkward topic does Gwendolyn ask Mrs. Davilow about after she is engaged?
(a) Having an affair.
(b) Getting a divorce.
(d) Illegitimate children.
12. How does Lydia react to the news that Grandcourt is engaged?
(a) She becomes depressed instantly.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is sad.
(d) She is angry.
13. What does Ezra Cohen do for a living?
(a) He is a shop owner.
(b) He is the town baker.
(c) He is the town mayor.
(d) He is a famous painter who lives like a hermit.
14. What is the dance that Gwendolyn states that she will not dance at the ball soon after she meets Grandcourt?
(a) The waltz.
(b) The polka.
(c) The stilta.
(d) The quadrille.
15. How does Herr Klesmer respond when he hears Gwendolyn perform?
(a) He proposes to her on the spot.
(b) He is amazed at her talents.
(c) He is condescending.
(d) He has to leave because he is so embarrassed for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Sir Hugo about the engagement between Gwendolyn and Grandcourt?
2. What does Mirah's father teach her when she is young?
3. What do Catherine's parents threaten to do if she marries Herr Klesmer?
4. Where is Grandcourt first sent away to school?
5. What will Mrs. Davilow's younger girls be doing to earn money for the family?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)