|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Herr tell Gwendolyn that she cannot count on Catherine as a patron?
(a) Because Catherine has found out about Gwendolyn having gossiped about her.
(b) Because Gwendolyn is now too poor for them to associate with her.
(c) Because she is too jealous of their engagement.
(d) Because her parents have disowned her.
2. Why does Daniel pawn a ring with Ezra Cohen?
(a) In order to take a picture of him without his knowledge.
(b) In order to see whether he is an honest man.
(c) In order to spend more time with him.
(d) In order to borrow money from him.
3. How does Lydia react to the news that Grandcourt is engaged?
(a) She is confused.
(b) She becomes depressed instantly.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is sad.
4. How does Gwendolyn feel about gambling?
(a) That it is a great way for her to show off and gain admirers.
(b) That it is a great thrill and one she misses dearly.
(c) That she could do it professionally if only women were allowed to gamble.
(d) That the wins and losses are no different than every day life.
5. Who is Mr. Lush?
(a) Grandcourt's cousin.
(b) Grandcourt's son.
(c) Grandcourt's father.
(d) Grandcourt's assistant.
6. Where does Daniel first encounter Mordecai?
(a) At a bookstore.
(b) Randomly on the street.
(c) At the farmers' market.
(d) At the butcher shop.
7. What does Mrs. Davilow claim to have learned about Daniels' mother?
(a) That she was a very famous actress.
(b) That she was murdered by someone she knew -- possibly Daniel's father.
(c) That she was destitute.
(d) That she was "some foreigner of high rank".
8. What do the Arrowpoints hope that Grandcourt will do when he arrives in town?
(a) Choose Gwendolyn to be his bride.
(b) Choose Catherine to be his bride.
(c) Choose Anna to be his bride.
(d) Choose Lucinda to be his bride.
9. What socially awkward topic does Gwendolyn ask Mrs. Davilow about after she is engaged?
(a) Getting a divorce.
(c) Illegitimate children.
(d) Having an affair.
10. Which two characters does Daniel come to realize to be living together?
(a) Anna and Gwendolyn.
(b) Anna and Ezra.
(c) Mordecai and Ezra.
(d) Ezra and Mordecai.
11. What does Daniel think upon seeing Gwendolyn for the first time?
(a) That she is simple, but would look better with make-up.
(b) That she looks resembles an old cousin of his.
(c) That she is unique-looking.
(d) That she is really quite ugly.
12. What relationship does Ezra first claim to have with Mordecai?
(a) He claims that Mordecai is a long-lost uncle.
(b) He claims that Mordecai is a former employee.
(c) He claims not to know Mordecai at all.
(d) He claims that he found Mordecai homeless on the street one day, and decided to take him in.
13. What does Grandcourt tell Gwendolyn upon arriving home after being married?
(a) That he is "more in love than he'd thought he ever would be".
(b) That she is now "his wife in love and life".
(c) That her "life begins anew again".
(d) That she must begin conducting herself with more dignity.
14. How does Catherine feel about Herr Klesmer?
(a) She loves him a little bit and is unsure.
(b) She doesn't like him, but thinks that she may grow to love him.
(c) She loves him madly and is obsessed with him to a point of being unhealthy.
(d) She really loves him very deeply.
15. What is the reason that Mrs. Davilow tells Gwendolyn that they are not going to be traveling or moving abroad?
(a) They do not have the money.
(b) It is too dangerous to do that with the war going on.
(c) She is tired of catering to Gwendolyn's every desire.
(d) She is getting too old and feeble.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grandcourt assure Lydia of after he tells her that he has become engaged to Gwendolyn?
2. What does Gwendolyn tell Herr Klesmer that she wants to do in order to earn money for her family?
3. From whom does Grandcourt learn where Gwendolyn has actually traveled?
4. Why is Herr Klesmer hesitant to confess his love for Catherine?
5. What does Gwendolyn request after speaking to Lydia Glasher for the first time?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)