|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gwendolyn's family move when she returns from her gambling trip?
2. Which two characters does Daniel come to realize to be living together?
(a) Mordecai and Ezra.
(b) Anna and Ezra.
(c) Anna and Gwendolyn.
(d) Ezra and Mordecai.
3. What do the Arrowpoints hope that Grandcourt will do when he arrives in town?
(a) Choose Anna to be his bride.
(b) Choose Lucinda to be his bride.
(c) Choose Catherine to be his bride.
(d) Choose Gwendolyn to be his bride.
4. How does Gwendolyn react to Mr. Lush's offer to put her jacket on her after the ball?
(a) She accepts.
(b) She snubs him.
(c) She gets too embarrassed and leaves hurriedly -- without her coat.
(d) She doesn't even bother looking at him for a response.
5. Where is Grandcourt first sent away to school?
6. Why does Lush advise against Grandcourt proposing to Gwendolyn after Grandcourt arrives in Offendene from Paris?
(a) Because he will now have to assume financial responsibility for Gwendolyn's family.
(b) Because he thinks that his life will be in danger.
(c) Because he realizes that Gwendolyn is very spoiled and rude.
(d) Because he has had a dream that something bad happens, although he doesn't know what the bad occurrence is.
7. What does Gwendolyn tell Herr Klesmer that she wants to do in order to earn money for her family?
(a) Go onstage.
(b) Finally talk about the money that she has been hiding away.
(c) Become a prostitute.
(d) Sell all of her jewelry.
8. Following Catherine's announcement that she plans to marry Herr Klesmer, what do her parents do as soon as she leaves the room?
(a) Call all of their friends and family because they are so happy about the engagement.
(b) Discuss what they are going to do with their property.
(c) Her mother faints; and her father punches a window out of anger.
(d) Nothing; they do not talk, and pretend as though nothin happened.
9. What does Daniel give Mrs. Meyrick for Mirah?
(a) A book to read.
(b) Money for her food and lodging.
(c) The use of his nice big house.
(d) A locket.
10. What worry does Mrs. Gascoigne have about Gwendolyn when she first comes to town?
(a) That she is not who she says she is.
(b) That she will steal from them.
(c) That one of her sons will fall in love with her.
(d) That she will not be able to marry well.
11. What does Mrs. Davilow claim to have learned about Daniels' mother?
(a) That she was "some foreigner of high rank".
(b) That she was murdered by someone she knew -- possibly Daniel's father.
(c) That she was a very famous actress.
(d) That she was destitute.
12. How quickly does Grandcourt want to get married to Gwendolyn once she accepts his proposal?
(a) Right away -- like that night.
(b) Within a few weeks.
(c) In exactly 34 days, since 34 is his lucky number.
(d) He wants to wait a year for the sake of tradition.
13. Who tells Sir Hugo about the engagement between Gwendolyn and Grandcourt?
(a) The Reverend.
14. What does Gwendolyn's uncle think of the waltz?
(a) That it is quite beautiful, but only when done properly.
(b) He is not sure what to think of it, since he has never seen it before.
(c) That it is overly showy.
(d) That it is too risque for the young people to be doing.
15. How does Gwendolyn's mother feel about the possibility of Gwendolyn marrying Grandcourt?
(a) That Gwendolyn should refuse him on principle so that he asks again and offers the family more money.
(b) That he will make Gwendolyn as happy as any other man whom she is likely to marry.
(c) That Grandcourt is making a mistake, even though it would be good for Gwendolyn.
(d) That it is a horrible mistake.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Davilow, what two options are available as a profession for Gwendolyn?
2. What is Gwendolyn's first impression of Mr. Lush?
3. What does Daniel do upon seeing Gwendolyn for the first time that bothers her so much?
4. How much time passes between the time that Grandcourt tells Mr. Lush that he would like to marry Gwendolyn and the time that he goes to her house to announce his intentions?
5. What does Grandcourt tell Gwendolyn upon arriving home after being married?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)