|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Catherine?
(a) Mr. Arrowpoint's mistress.
(b) Mrs. Arrowpoint's daughter.
(c) A governness in town.
(d) A music teacher.
2. What is the reason that Mrs. Davilow tells Gwendolyn that they are not going to be traveling or moving abroad?
(a) They do not have the money.
(b) She is tired of catering to Gwendolyn's every desire.
(c) It is too dangerous to do that with the war going on.
(d) She is getting too old and feeble.
3. What does Grandcourt tell Gwendolyn upon arriving home after being married?
(a) That her "life begins anew again".
(b) That he is "more in love than he'd thought he ever would be".
(c) That she must begin conducting herself with more dignity.
(d) That she is now "his wife in love and life".
4. Where does Gwendolyn tell her mother that she is going the day after she meets Lydia Glasher?
(a) No one knows; she just disappears from everyone's sight.
(b) On her honeymoon.
(c) To the hospital.
(d) To join friends in Dover.
5. In what job does Mrs. Davilow think Gwendolyn will be happiest?
(a) As a teacher.
(b) As a governess.
(c) As a singer.
(d) As a nurse.
6. What does Gwendolyn tell Herr Klesmer that she wants to do in order to earn money for her family?
(a) Sell all of her jewelry.
(b) Become a prostitute.
(c) Finally talk about the money that she has been hiding away.
(d) Go onstage.
7. What does Mrs. Davilow claim to have learned about Daniels' mother?
(a) That she was murdered by someone she knew -- possibly Daniel's father.
(b) That she was "some foreigner of high rank".
(c) That she was destitute.
(d) That she was a very famous actress.
8. What is the dance that Gwendolyn states that she will not dance at the ball soon after she meets Grandcourt?
(a) The quadrille.
(b) The waltz.
(c) The stilta.
(d) The polka.
9. Where is Grandcourt first sent away to school?
10. What does Gwendolyn notice about Grandcourt during the ball?
(a) That he keeps leaving the room and returning.
(b) That he is watching her often.
(c) That he keeps tripping whenever she gets close.
(d) That he is paying attention to every other girl at the ball but her.
11. Why does Mirah run away from her father?
(a) She learns that the police are after him.
(b) She realizes that he is becoming an alcoholic.
(c) She realizes that he is only after her money.
(d) She realizes that he is planning to marry her off.
12. What is Mirah lacking when Daniel finds her?
(a) Information on her mother and brother.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
13. Who does the reader learn raised Grandcourt like a son?
(b) Lydia Glasher.
(c) Sir Hugo Mallinger.
(d) The Reverend.
14. What hotel does Mr. Lush settle his "mystery guest" in as Grandcourt is preparing to propose to Gwendolyn?
(a) The Leaky Cauldron.
(b) The Hampton Inn.
(c) The Oxford Inn.
(d) The Golden Keys.
15. How does Gwendolyn perceive Daniel for the first time?
(a) As cruel and very loud.
(b) As an unfriendly stranger.
(c) As a kind and humble man.
(d) As a warm, old friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gwendolyn tell Grandcourt right after she meets Lydia Glasher?
2. Where does Daniel first encounter Mordecai?
3. What socially awkward topic does Gwendolyn ask Mrs. Davilow about after she is engaged?
4. Where do Gwendolyn and Grandcourt go once they are married?
5. Which two characters does Daniel come to realize to be living together?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)