Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Anna?
(a) Daughter of Reverend and Mrs. Gascoigne.
(b) Gwendolyn's friend who lives very far away.
(c) Cousin of Mrs. Gascoigne.
(d) Reverend Gascoigne's wife.
2. Why does Daniel pawn a ring with Ezra Cohen?
(a) In order to take a picture of him without his knowledge.
(b) In order to spend more time with him.
(c) In order to see whether he is an honest man.
(d) In order to borrow money from him.
3. What does Daniel think upon seeing Gwendolyn for the first time?
(a) That she is unique-looking.
(b) That she is really quite ugly.
(c) That she is simple, but would look better with make-up.
(d) That she looks resembles an old cousin of his.
4. What does Gwendolyn request after speaking to Lydia Glasher for the first time?
(a) To have the woman arrested.
(b) To leave the archery event early.
(c) To have a private investigator follow Glasher to see what she is really doing.
(d) To be taken to a doctor.
5. What does Herr Klesmer do for a living?
(a) He is a musician.
(b) All of the answer choices are correct.
(c) He is independently wealthy.
(d) His profession is not mentioned in the book.
6. Which of the following is the only dance that Gwendolyn says that she will dance at the ball soon after she meets Grandcourt?
(a) The waltz.
(b) The polka.
(c) The quadrille.
(d) The stilta.
7. Where does Gwendolyn tell her mother that she is going the day after she meets Lydia Glasher?
(a) To the hospital.
(b) To join friends in Dover.
(c) No one knows; she just disappears from everyone's sight.
(d) On her honeymoon.
8. What does Mordecai ask Daniel when they first meet one another?
(a) Whether he is married.
(b) Whether he is Jewish.
(c) Whether he is an immigrant.
(d) Whether he is very rich.
9. What does Mrs. Davilow claim to have learned about Daniels' mother?
(a) That she was murdered by someone she knew -- possibly Daniel's father.
(b) That she was a very famous actress.
(c) That she was destitute.
(d) That she was "some foreigner of high rank".
10. What does Gwendolyn's uncle think of the waltz?
(a) That it is quite beautiful, but only when done properly.
(b) That it is too risque for the young people to be doing.
(c) He is not sure what to think of it, since he has never seen it before.
(d) That it is overly showy.
11. How does Grandcourt ask permission to visit Gwendolyn from her after he arrives in Offendene?
(a) By sending Mr. Lush, who purposely arrives late.
(b) By messenger.
(c) In person.
(d) By letter.
12. What item(s) does Grandcourt request from Lydia once he becomes engaged to Gwendolyn?
(b) A very expensive scarf that he had given Lydia at the time that they first met.
(c) His family Bible.
(d) His family chest.
13. How does Gwendolyn first feel about the idea of a proposal that is expected to come from Grandcourt?
(a) She hopes that he does not ask so that she doesn't have to refuse him.
(b) She can hardly contain herself, she is so excited.
(c) She is acting uninterested, but really feels like an excited little girl.
(d) She wants to say yes, but cannott bring herself to make that decision.
14. Why does Grandcourt expect Daniel to be jealous?
(a) Because he has much greater success with women.
(b) Because he is very famous for his poetry.
(c) Because he is much more handsome.
(d) Because he is inheriting the baronetcy that could easily have been his.
15. How does Sir Hugo find out about Gwendolyn and Grandcourt's engagement?
(a) From the newspaper.
(b) The Reverend announces it after Sunday worship service.
(c) By letter.
(d) He hears it in person.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Gwendolyn and Grandcourt go once they are married?
2. What will Mrs. Davilow's younger girls be doing to earn money for the family?
3. Who arranges housing for Gwendolyn and her family upon her return from her gambling trip?
4. What do the Arrowpoints hope that Grandcourt will do when he arrives in town?
5. How does Gwendolyn react to what Lydia Glasher tells her when they first meet?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)