|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book IV, Gwendolyn Gets her Choice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What personal items does Gwendolyn give to her mother so that she can sell them and earn extra money?
(a) Her paintings.
(b) Her fancy dresses.
(c) Her musical instruments.
(d) Her jewelry.
2. What causes Gwendolyn's winning gambling streak to end when the novel first opens?
(a) Her lucky charm is stolen.
(b) She is jarred by Daniel's presence.
(c) Someone takes her lucky dice.
(d) Her winning streak does not end.
3. What does Grandcourt assure Lydia of after he tells her that he has become engaged to Gwendolyn?
(a) That she must now address him as a boss and not a lover.
(b) That he will never see her again.
(c) That he really wishes that he were engaged to her instead.
(d) That he will continue to take care of her and the children.
4. Who arranges housing for Gwendolyn and her family upon her return from her gambling trip?
(b) Gwendolyn herself.
(c) An aunt and uncle.
(d) The government.
5. Following Catherine's announcement that she plans to marry Herr Klesmer, what do her parents do as soon as she leaves the room?
(a) Her mother faints; and her father punches a window out of anger.
(b) Nothing; they do not talk, and pretend as though nothin happened.
(c) Discuss what they are going to do with their property.
(d) Call all of their friends and family because they are so happy about the engagement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gwendolyn tell Herr Klesmer that she wants to do in order to earn money for her family?
2. Why is Herr Klesmer hesitant to confess his love for Catherine?
3. How does Grandcourt ask permission to visit Gwendolyn from her after he arrives in Offendene?
4. How does Gwendolyn react to Grandcourt's offer to put her jacket on her after the ball?
5. How does Gwendolyn react to what Lydia Glasher tells her when they first meet?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)