|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book III, Maidens Choosing.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mrs. Davilow, what two options are available as a profession for Gwendolyn?
(a) Being a teacher in a university or a professor at an all-girls school.
(b) Being a teacher in a school or a governess to a family.
(c) Being a nurse in a hosptial or a nun in a church.
(d) Being a painter in a museum or a singer in a choir.
2. Which of the following is the only dance that Gwendolyn says that she will dance at the ball soon after she meets Grandcourt?
(a) The polka.
(b) The quadrille.
(c) The waltz.
(d) The stilta.
3. Where does Gwendolyn tell her mother that she is going the day after she meets Lydia Glasher?
(a) On her honeymoon.
(b) To the hospital.
(c) To join friends in Dover.
(d) No one knows; she just disappears from everyone's sight.
4. What is the reason that Mrs. Davilow tells Gwendolyn that they are not going to be traveling or moving abroad?
(a) She is tired of catering to Gwendolyn's every desire.
(b) They do not have the money.
(c) It is too dangerous to do that with the war going on.
(d) She is getting too old and feeble.
5. What do Catherine's parents threaten to do if she marries Herr Klesmer?
(a) Disown her.
(b) Move her away to the countryside, away from all of her friends.
(c) Have her killed.
(d) Have him killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gwendolyn's uncle think of the waltz?
2. What causes Gwendolyn's winning gambling streak to end when the novel first opens?
3. Following Catherine's announcement that she plans to marry Herr Klesmer, what do her parents do as soon as she leaves the room?
4. What does Gwendolyn plan to do with the money that she gets from her necklace?
5. How does Gwendolyn sell her necklace the morning that she leaves the gambling town?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)