|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Meeting Streams.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom does Grandcourt learn where Gwendolyn has actually traveled?
(a) Sir Hugo Mallinger.
(b) Lydia Glasher.
(c) Gwendolyn herself (in a letter).
(d) Daniel Deronda.
2. What does Daniel do upon seeing Gwendolyn for the first time that bothers her so much?
(a) Asks for her hand in marriage.
(b) Stares at her.
(c) Makes her bow to him.
(d) Tells her that she looks fat in her dress.
3. How does Gwendolyn react to Mr. Lush's offer to put her jacket on her after the ball?
(a) She doesn't even bother looking at him for a response.
(b) She accepts.
(c) She snubs him.
(d) She gets too embarrassed and leaves hurriedly -- without her coat.
4. What does Gwendolyn plan to do with the money that she gets from her necklace?
(a) Pay for her trip back home.
(b) Gamble just one more day.
(c) Buy fancy new dresses.
(d) Pay off her debts.
5. How does Gwendolyn's mother feel about the possibility of Gwendolyn marrying Grandcourt?
(a) That he will make Gwendolyn as happy as any other man whom she is likely to marry.
(b) That it is a horrible mistake.
(c) That Grandcourt is making a mistake, even though it would be good for Gwendolyn.
(d) That Gwendolyn should refuse him on principle so that he asks again and offers the family more money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Anna?
2. Who does the reader learn raised Grandcourt like a son?
3. What causes Gwendolyn's winning gambling streak to end when the novel first opens?
4. Why does Gwendolyn have to leave the city and the gambling so suddenly?
5. How does Gwendolyn react to Grandcourt's offer to put her jacket on her after the ball?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)