|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book VII, The Mother and the Son.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sir Hugo find out about Gwendolyn and Grandcourt's engagement?
(a) The Reverend announces it after Sunday worship service.
(b) By letter.
(c) He hears it in person.
(d) From the newspaper.
2. What is the reason that Mrs. Davilow tells Gwendolyn that they are not going to be traveling or moving abroad?
(a) She is tired of catering to Gwendolyn's every desire.
(b) It is too dangerous to do that with the war going on.
(c) They do not have the money.
(d) She is getting too old and feeble.
3. How does Gwendolyn's mother feel about the possibility of Gwendolyn marrying Grandcourt?
(a) That Gwendolyn should refuse him on principle so that he asks again and offers the family more money.
(b) That he will make Gwendolyn as happy as any other man whom she is likely to marry.
(c) That Grandcourt is making a mistake, even though it would be good for Gwendolyn.
(d) That it is a horrible mistake.
4. Why does Grandcourt expect Daniel to be jealous?
(a) Because he is much more handsome.
(b) Because he has much greater success with women.
(c) Because he is very famous for his poetry.
(d) Because he is inheriting the baronetcy that could easily have been his.
5. Why does Hans stay with Daniel instead of his own mother during a visit?
(a) Because Mirah is at his home and it would be improper.
(b) Because he is trying to keep knowledge of his visit with Daniel away from his mother.
(c) Because his mother's house has been damaged by fire.
(d) Because they are best friends and enjoy each other's company.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lush advise against Grandcourt proposing to Gwendolyn after Grandcourt arrives in Offendene from Paris?
2. How do Reverend and Mrs. Gascoigne react to Gwendolyn when they learn of her engagement to Grandcourt?
3. What does Gwendolyn's uncle think of the waltz?
4. In a letter to Daniel, who does Hans report to have recently visited his family?
5. What item greatly upsets Gwendolyn at her first dinner at home with her new husband?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)