|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book VII, The Mother and the Son.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grandcourt tell Gwendolyn upon arriving home after being married?
(a) That her "life begins anew again".
(b) That she must begin conducting herself with more dignity.
(c) That he is "more in love than he'd thought he ever would be".
(d) That she is now "his wife in love and life".
2. What does Gwendolyn tell Herr Klesmer that she wants to do in order to earn money for her family?
(a) Sell all of her jewelry.
(b) Finally talk about the money that she has been hiding away.
(c) Go onstage.
(d) Become a prostitute.
3. Why does Lush advise against Grandcourt proposing to Gwendolyn after Grandcourt arrives in Offendene from Paris?
(a) Because he thinks that his life will be in danger.
(b) Because he realizes that Gwendolyn is very spoiled and rude.
(c) Because he has had a dream that something bad happens, although he doesn't know what the bad occurrence is.
(d) Because he will now have to assume financial responsibility for Gwendolyn's family.
4. How do Reverend and Mrs. Gascoigne react to Gwendolyn when they learn of her engagement to Grandcourt?
(a) They congratulate her.
(b) They are not sure what to think.
(c) They are furiously angry.
(d) They are horribly embarrassed.
5. How does Gwendolyn react to Grandcourt's offer to put her jacket on her after the ball?
(a) She gets too embarassed and leaves hurriedly -- without her coat.
(b) She snubs him.
(c) She accepts.
(d) She doesn't even bother looking at him for a response.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who eventually tells Daniel that Gwendolyn knows about Lydia?
2. How does Gwendolyn sell her necklace the morning that she leaves the gambling town?
3. Following Catherine's announcement that she plans to marry Herr Klesmer, what do her parents do as soon as she leaves the room?
4. Who arranges housing for Gwendolyn and her family upon her return from her gambling trip?
5. What names does Mordecai tell Daniel he was called by a companion?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)