|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following terms best describes the relationship between Elmira Brown and Clara Goodwater?
2. How does the empty mason jar make Douglas feel?
3. Which of the following describes the style of Grandmother's kitchen under normal circumstances?
4. What does Douglas dream of when he has the fever?
5. How old was Helen in the photo Bill found of her in the paper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Elmira starts to make her speech after she drinks the special brew she made to thwart any spells Clara might cast?
2. Why doesn't Douglas finish his entry about what he must do some day in his tablet?
3. What does Douglas believe would have happened between Bill and Helen if they had been born at different times?
4. What other relationships does Bill and Helen's relationship parallel?
5. How does Tom keep an eye on Mr. Black so that Douglas and Tom can rescue Mme. Tarot?
6. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas to find the new person who will take over the chore of fixing the roof shingles in the spring which she used to be responsible for doing?
7. How does Douglas help Grandmother to be able to return to the excellent cook she always was before Aunt Rose came?
8. What powerful realization does Douglas come to during this section of the novel?
9. What does Douglas wonder about his own memories and how they can or do travel?
10. How did Bill end up falling in love with Helen even though there was a significant difference in their ages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the author of this novel chose the title Dandelion Wine? Do you believe it is an appropriate title for the book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How do characters throughout the novel use their imagination to make themselves happier? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answers. Do you believe this is a healthy way to live? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Clara and Elmira could be described as representing good and evil. Would you agree with this description? Why or why not?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)