|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Lavinia Nebbs?
2. Which of the following characters dies in this section of the novel?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes Douglas' mood when Lavina and Francine passed him?
4. What event helps to resolve the differences between Clara and Elmira?
5. What does Tom use to help determine the weather?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Clara and Elmira reconcile their differences and eventually become friendly?
2. Why does Douglas want to rescue Mme. Tarot from Mr. Black?
3. How does Douglas help Grandmother to be able to return to the excellent cook she always was before Aunt Rose came?
4. Why does Douglas believe that he must work with Tom to rescue the real Mme. Tarot?
5. How does Lavina feel on her lonely walk home after finding the dead body and going to the movies with her friend?
6. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas that she will always be with him, even for a thousand years?
7. What other relationships does Bill and Helen's relationship parallel?
8. What happens when Elmira starts to make her speech after she drinks the special brew she made to thwart any spells Clara might cast?
9. How can Douglas tell that Bill is devastated by Helen's death?
10. Why doesn't Douglas finish his entry about what he must do some day in his tablet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some might say that by acknowledging that some day he will die leads to Douglas almost facing death by becoming very ill. Explain why this statement might be accurate and why it might be inaccurate. Use specific examples from the novel to support your explanations.
Essay Topic 2
How are the themes of fear and death developed throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your statements. Do you believe the author does a good job at developing these themes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Mr. Jonas and Douglas can be considered kindred souls. Use examples from the text to support your answer. Do you believe this meshing of minds and souls is what led to Douglas' healing? Why or why not?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)