|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes the phone away from Colonel Freeleigh?
2. What do Tom, Grandfather and Douglas do which indicates the end of summer?
3. How old was Helen in the photo Bill found of her in the paper?
4. What does Bill confess to Helen?
5. Which of the following adjectives best describes Douglas' mood when Lavina and Francine passed him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene where Elmira confronts Clara and how Clara reacts.
2. How can Douglas tell that Bill is devastated by Helen's death?
3. How does Douglas come to recover from the fever?
4. What are the different views on Helen's death and how it relates to happy endings by Douglas and Tom?
5. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas that she will always be with him, even for a thousand years?
6. How does Tom keep an eye on Mr. Black so that Douglas and Tom can rescue Mme. Tarot?
7. What other relationships does Bill and Helen's relationship parallel?
8. How did Douglas finish his tablet entry and when did he make the decision to finish the entry in this manner?
9. How does Lavina feel on her lonely walk home after finding the dead body and going to the movies with her friend?
10. Why does Douglas believe that he must work with Tom to rescue the real Mme. Tarot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Mr. Jonas and Douglas can be considered kindred souls. Use examples from the text to support your answer. Do you believe this meshing of minds and souls is what led to Douglas' healing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What powerful recognition does Douglas come to at the end of the novel? How is this recognition important? What does it represent in his life?
Essay Topic 3
How are the themes of fear and death developed throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your statements. Do you believe the author does a good job at developing these themes? Why or why not?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)