|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of her body did Elmira Brown injure just before her husband returned home?
2. What does Helen invite Bill to her house to do?
3. How does the empty mason jar make Douglas feel?
4. Where does Douglas go to find wisdom?
5. What does Mr. Black do with the wax figurine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Clara and Elmira reconcile their differences and eventually become friendly?
2. How does Lavina feel on her lonely walk home after finding the dead body and going to the movies with her friend?
3. How does Douglas help Grandmother to be able to return to the excellent cook she always was before Aunt Rose came?
4. Describe the scene where Elmira confronts Clara and how Clara reacts.
5. What does Douglas believe would have happened between Bill and Helen if they had been born at different times?
6. What powerful realization does Douglas come to during this section of the novel?
7. What is unique about Mr. Jonas' business with the junkyard wagon and horse?
8. How does Douglas come to recover from the fever?
9. How does Tom keep an eye on Mr. Black so that Douglas and Tom can rescue Mme. Tarot?
10. How did Douglas finish his tablet entry and when did he make the decision to finish the entry in this manner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kinship and personal connections are often explored throughout the novel. How and why is this an important part of the novel's themes? Do you agree with the way the author portrays these concepts? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What does the end of the summer mark for Douglas? Do you believe that this change was for the positive or negative? Why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 3
Generation gaps are explored throughout the novel. In what way is this important to the understanding of the characters of this novel? How do you personally relate to members of your own family who are from other generations? Use specific examples.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)