|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Great-grandma tell Douglas she will be around?
2. Which of the following terms best describes how Grandma is when it comes to her recipes?
3. How does Douglas wonder if memories can travel?
4. Who comes to visit Grandfather and Grandma?
5. What does Douglas do with the fireflies at the end of this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Colonel Freeleigh call Mexico City twice before he dies?
2. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas that she will always be with him, even for a thousand years?
3. How can Douglas tell that Bill is devastated by Helen's death?
4. Why doesn't Douglas finish his entry about what he must do some day in his tablet?
5. How does Lavina feel on her lonely walk home after finding the dead body and going to the movies with her friend?
6. How did Bill end up falling in love with Helen even though there was a significant difference in their ages?
7. How does Tom keep an eye on Mr. Black so that Douglas and Tom can rescue Mme. Tarot?
8. What do the various bottles of dandelion wine that were bottled from June and July represent to Douglas?
9. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas to find the new person who will take over the chore of fixing the roof shingles in the spring which she used to be responsible for doing?
10. How does Douglas come to recover from the fever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the changes Douglas undergoes throughout the novel. Use specific details from the novel to support your description. Do you believe the changes were for the positive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of aging developed throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your statements. Do you believe the author does a good job at developing this theme? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Children in the novel often live in the present, not the past or future. In what way do some of the adults in this novel live the same way? Think of an adult that you know that lives this same way. Do you think it is a good way to live? Use their experiences to support your judgment.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)