|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters helps Douglas with the wax tarot witch?
2. How old is Lavinia Nebbs?
3. What will be inside the envelope Bill will receive from Helen?
4. What doesn't Grandfather want to talk about?
5. Which of the following terms best describes how Grandma is when it comes to her recipes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Bill end up falling in love with Helen even though there was a significant difference in their ages?
2. How does Tom keep an eye on Mr. Black so that Douglas and Tom can rescue Mme. Tarot?
3. What does Douglas wonder about his own memories and how they can or do travel?
4. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas to find the new person who will take over the chore of fixing the roof shingles in the spring which she used to be responsible for doing?
5. What is unique about Mr. Jonas' business with the junkyard wagon and horse?
6. How did Douglas finish his tablet entry and when did he make the decision to finish the entry in this manner?
7. How does Douglas come to recover from the fever?
8. How does Douglas help Grandmother to be able to return to the excellent cook she always was before Aunt Rose came?
9. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas that she will always be with him, even for a thousand years?
10. What does Douglas believe would have happened between Bill and Helen if they had been born at different times?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the themes of fear and death developed throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your statements. Do you believe the author does a good job at developing these themes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Children in the novel often live in the present, not the past or future. In what way do some of the adults in this novel live the same way? Think of an adult that you know that lives this same way. Do you think it is a good way to live? Use their experiences to support your judgment.
Essay Topic 3
Many things change in this novel. Provide details describing how both the adults and children handle change in the novel. Use specific details from the novel to support your description.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)