|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes the phone away from Colonel Freeleigh?
2. Who comes to visit Grandfather and Grandma?
3. Which of the following characters does Great-grandma summon first?
4. What doesn't Grandfather want to talk about?
5. How does the nurse hope to prevent Colonel Freeleigh from making any more phone calls?
Essay Topic 1
Death is an ongoing issue which must be dealt with throughout the novel. Describe the similarities and differences between how the children dealt with death and how the adults did. Make connections between this and your own personal experience.
Essay Topic 2
Clara and Elmira could be described as representing good and evil. Would you agree with this description? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe Douglas is the only child disturbed by the events of the Lonely One's last murder? What do you think the purpose of including such a character in the novel was? Do you believe the character was developed enough, too much or not enough? Support your answer with information from the text.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)