|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes Douglas' mood when Lavina and Francine passed him?
2. What does Elmira prepare for the election day at the lodge?
3. Which of the following characters dies in this section of the novel?
4. Who comes to visit Grandfather and Grandma?
5. What does Douglas hide from Grandma to help her become a better cook?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Douglas wonder about his own memories and how they can or do travel?
2. Why do Tom, Douglas and Charlie believe that the man that Lavina killed is not the Lonely One?
3. What are the different views on Helen's death and how it relates to happy endings by Douglas and Tom?
4. What does Douglas believe would have happened between Bill and Helen if they had been born at different times?
5. How does Douglas help Grandmother to be able to return to the excellent cook she always was before Aunt Rose came?
6. What do the various bottles of dandelion wine that were bottled from June and July represent to Douglas?
7. How does Lavinia come to be the one responsible for the death of the Lonely One?
8. Why does Colonel Freeleigh call Mexico City twice before he dies?
9. How did Bill end up falling in love with Helen even though there was a significant difference in their ages?
10. What other relationships does Bill and Helen's relationship parallel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clara and Elmira could be described as representing good and evil. Would you agree with this description? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe the author of this novel chose the title Dandelion Wine? Do you believe it is an appropriate title for the book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The overall tone of this novel could be described as enchanting childhood summers. What examples from the text support this tone? Are there events that do not support this tone? If so what are they? If not, why do you think there are none?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)