|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Douglas keep his fireflies?
2. What is the second card for Tom that the wax tarot witch delivers?
3. Which of the following characters helps Douglas with the wax tarot witch?
4. What position does Clara Goodwater hold?
5. What part of her body did Elmira Brown injure just before her husband returned home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lavinia come to be the one responsible for the death of the Lonely One?
2. Why is Sam not surprised to return home from his job as the postman to find his wife, Elmira, hurt?
3. Why does Colonel Freeleigh call Mexico City twice before he dies?
4. What other relationships does Bill and Helen's relationship parallel?
5. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas to find the new person who will take over the chore of fixing the roof shingles in the spring which she used to be responsible for doing?
6. How can Douglas tell that Bill is devastated by Helen's death?
7. What does Douglas wonder about his own memories and how they can or do travel?
8. What does Douglas think about Colonel Freeleigh's death that he feels comfortable sharing with Tom?
9. How does Lavina feel on her lonely walk home after finding the dead body and going to the movies with her friend?
10. What is unique about Mr. Jonas' business with the junkyard wagon and horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clara and Elmira could be described as representing good and evil. Would you agree with this description? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How do characters throughout the novel use their imagination to make themselves happier? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answers. Do you believe this is a healthy way to live? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe Douglas is the only child disturbed by the events of the Lonely One's last murder? What do you think the purpose of including such a character in the novel was? Do you believe the character was developed enough, too much or not enough? Support your answer with information from the text.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)