|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feelings does Douglas hope to reconcile?
2. Who does Douglas join for ice cream at the drugstore?
3. Which of the following characters is an active, spry woman in her nineties?
4. What position does Clara Goodwater hold?
5. Which of the following words best describes Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Douglas finish his tablet entry and when did he make the decision to finish the entry in this manner?
2. What does Douglas wonder about his own memories and how they can or do travel?
3. How do Clara and Elmira reconcile their differences and eventually become friendly?
4. How does Douglas help Grandmother to be able to return to the excellent cook she always was before Aunt Rose came?
5. How does Lavina feel on her lonely walk home after finding the dead body and going to the movies with her friend?
6. Why does Douglas believe that he must work with Tom to rescue the real Mme. Tarot?
7. How can Douglas tell that Bill is devastated by Helen's death?
8. What do the various bottles of dandelion wine that were bottled from June and July represent to Douglas?
9. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas to find the new person who will take over the chore of fixing the roof shingles in the spring which she used to be responsible for doing?
10. What other relationships does Bill and Helen's relationship parallel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some might say that by acknowledging that some day he will die leads to Douglas almost facing death by becoming very ill. Explain why this statement might be accurate and why it might be inaccurate. Use specific examples from the novel to support your explanations.
Essay Topic 2
Generation gaps are explored throughout the novel. In what way is this important to the understanding of the characters of this novel? How do you personally relate to members of your own family who are from other generations? Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Death is an ongoing issue which must be dealt with throughout the novel. Describe the similarities and differences between how the children dealt with death and how the adults did. Make connections between this and your own personal experience.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)