|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Lavinia and Francine find the Lonely One's last victim?
2. Who takes the phone away from Colonel Freeleigh?
3. What job does Mr. Jonas hold?
4. Which of the following characters believes that the night should proceed as planned?
5. Which of the following terms best describes how Grandma is when it comes to her recipes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Douglas want to rescue Mme. Tarot from Mr. Black?
2. Describe the scene where Elmira confronts Clara and how Clara reacts.
3. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas to find the new person who will take over the chore of fixing the roof shingles in the spring which she used to be responsible for doing?
4. How can Douglas tell that Bill is devastated by Helen's death?
5. Why does Colonel Freeleigh call Mexico City twice before he dies?
6. How does Tom keep an eye on Mr. Black so that Douglas and Tom can rescue Mme. Tarot?
7. How did Bill end up falling in love with Helen even though there was a significant difference in their ages?
8. What does Douglas believe would have happened between Bill and Helen if they had been born at different times?
9. How does Lavina feel on her lonely walk home after finding the dead body and going to the movies with her friend?
10. How do Clara and Elmira reconcile their differences and eventually become friendly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the end of the summer mark for Douglas? Do you believe that this change was for the positive or negative? Why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 2
How are the themes of man and nature developed throughout the novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your statements. Do you believe the author does a good job at developing these themes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel adults and children are often compared. Does the novel lead the reader to believe that they are more similar or more different? What events from the novel support your conclusions?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)