|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describe Douglas' reflections on his summer experiences?
2. What does Douglas wonder?
3. What does Mr. Black do with the wax figurine?
4. How old was Helen in the photo Bill found of her in the paper?
5. What event helps to resolve the differences between Clara and Elmira?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Douglas believe would have happened between Bill and Helen if they had been born at different times?
2. What does Douglas wonder about his own memories and how they can or do travel?
3. What does Douglas think about Colonel Freeleigh's death that he feels comfortable sharing with Tom?
4. What do the various bottles of dandelion wine that were bottled from June and July represent to Douglas?
5. What are the different views on Helen's death and how it relates to happy endings by Douglas and Tom?
6. Why do Tom, Douglas and Charlie believe that the man that Lavina killed is not the Lonely One?
7. How does Douglas come to recover from the fever?
8. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas that she will always be with him, even for a thousand years?
9. Why does Douglas believe that he must work with Tom to rescue the real Mme. Tarot?
10. How did Douglas finish his tablet entry and when did he make the decision to finish the entry in this manner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kinship and personal connections are often explored throughout the novel. How and why is this an important part of the novel's themes? Do you agree with the way the author portrays these concepts? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Clara and Elmira could be described as representing good and evil. Would you agree with this description? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How do characters throughout the novel use their imagination to make themselves happier? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answers. Do you believe this is a healthy way to live? Why or why not?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)