|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes Douglas' mood when Lavina and Francine passed him?
2. What position does Clara Goodwater hold?
3. What job does Mr. Jonas hold?
4. How long has the wax tarot card witch been around?
5. Where does Charlie say the Lonely One grew up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can Douglas tell that Bill is devastated by Helen's death?
2. What happens when Elmira starts to make her speech after she drinks the special brew she made to thwart any spells Clara might cast?
3. How did Douglas finish his tablet entry and when did he make the decision to finish the entry in this manner?
4. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas that she will always be with him, even for a thousand years?
5. Why is Sam not surprised to return home from his job as the postman to find his wife, Elmira, hurt?
6. How does Douglas decide is the best way to pay back Mr. Jonas?
7. How does Lavina feel on her lonely walk home after finding the dead body and going to the movies with her friend?
8. How does Douglas help Grandmother to be able to return to the excellent cook she always was before Aunt Rose came?
9. What other relationships does Bill and Helen's relationship parallel?
10. What does Douglas believe would have happened between Bill and Helen if they had been born at different times?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some might say that by acknowledging that some day he will die leads to Douglas almost facing death by becoming very ill. Explain why this statement might be accurate and why it might be inaccurate. Use specific examples from the novel to support your explanations.
Essay Topic 2
How are the themes of man and nature developed throughout the novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your statements. Do you believe the author does a good job at developing these themes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel adults and children are often compared. Does the novel lead the reader to believe that they are more similar or more different? What events from the novel support your conclusions?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)