|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill confess to Helen?
2. What doesGgreat-grandma decide that she knows it is time for?
3. Where does Charlie say the Lonely One grew up?
4. How does the empty mason jar make Douglas feel?
5. Which of the following characters dies in this section of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What powerful realization does Douglas come to during this section of the novel?
2. Why do Tom, Douglas and Charlie believe that the man that Lavina killed is not the Lonely One?
3. What does Douglas believe would have happened between Bill and Helen if they had been born at different times?
4. Why does Douglas want to rescue Mme. Tarot from Mr. Black?
5. Why does Douglas believe that he must work with Tom to rescue the real Mme. Tarot?
6. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas that she will always be with him, even for a thousand years?
7. How did Bill end up falling in love with Helen even though there was a significant difference in their ages?
8. How does Lavina feel on her lonely walk home after finding the dead body and going to the movies with her friend?
9. What happens when Elmira starts to make her speech after she drinks the special brew she made to thwart any spells Clara might cast?
10. How do Clara and Elmira reconcile their differences and eventually become friendly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What powerful recognition does Douglas come to at the end of the novel? How is this recognition important? What does it represent in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Children in the novel often live in the present, not the past or future. In what way do some of the adults in this novel live the same way? Think of an adult that you know that lives this same way. Do you think it is a good way to live? Use their experiences to support your judgment.
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of aging developed throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your statements. Do you believe the author does a good job at developing this theme? Why or why not?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)