|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elmira prepare for the election day at the lodge?
2. What does Bill order at the drug store ice cream counter which catches the attention of Helen?
3. How long has the wax tarot card witch been around?
4. What doesn't Grandfather want to talk about?
5. What does the French word secours mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the various bottles of dandelion wine that were bottled from June and July represent to Douglas?
2. What does Douglas wonder about his own memories and how they can or do travel?
3. How did Bill end up falling in love with Helen even though there was a significant difference in their ages?
4. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas that she will always be with him, even for a thousand years?
5. Why is Sam not surprised to return home from his job as the postman to find his wife, Elmira, hurt?
6. Describe the scene where Elmira confronts Clara and how Clara reacts.
7. Why does Douglas believe that he must work with Tom to rescue the real Mme. Tarot?
8. How does Lavinia come to be the one responsible for the death of the Lonely One?
9. How does Lavina feel on her lonely walk home after finding the dead body and going to the movies with her friend?
10. What does Douglas think about Colonel Freeleigh's death that he feels comfortable sharing with Tom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Children in the novel often live in the present, not the past or future. In what way do some of the adults in this novel live the same way? Think of an adult that you know that lives this same way. Do you think it is a good way to live? Use their experiences to support your judgment.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel adults and children are often compared. Does the novel lead the reader to believe that they are more similar or more different? What events from the novel support your conclusions?
Essay Topic 3
What does the end of the summer mark for Douglas? Do you believe that this change was for the positive or negative? Why do you feel that way?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)