|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen invite Bill to her house to do?
2. What job does Elmira Brown's husband hold?
3. How old is Lavinia Nebbs?
4. Where do Lavinia and Francine find the Lonely One's last victim?
5. How hot does the thermometer say the house is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lavinia come to be the one responsible for the death of the Lonely One?
2. What powerful realization does Douglas come to during this section of the novel?
3. What does Douglas believe would have happened between Bill and Helen if they had been born at different times?
4. Why doesn't Douglas finish his entry about what he must do some day in his tablet?
5. What happens when Elmira starts to make her speech after she drinks the special brew she made to thwart any spells Clara might cast?
6. What does Douglas think about Colonel Freeleigh's death that he feels comfortable sharing with Tom?
7. Describe the scene where Elmira confronts Clara and how Clara reacts.
8. Why does Douglas want to rescue Mme. Tarot from Mr. Black?
9. What other relationships does Bill and Helen's relationship parallel?
10. Why does Colonel Freeleigh call Mexico City twice before he dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the themes of fear and death developed throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your statements. Do you believe the author does a good job at developing these themes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe the author of this novel chose the title Dandelion Wine? Do you believe it is an appropriate title for the book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What does the end of the summer mark for Douglas? Do you believe that this change was for the positive or negative? Why do you feel that way?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)