|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who witnessed the event where the Green Machine ran over the someone?
2. How much more money does Douglas need to buy the new sneakers himself?
3. Where does Douglas go with his brother Tom and his Father?
4. Which of the following words would Douglas use to describe Green Town?
5. Why does Mother grow anxious when Tom returns from the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways was the fact that change is difficult for children reinforced in this section of the novel?
2. Based on Tom's habit of keeping statistics, what idea does Douglas implement himself?
3. How does Helen Bentley attempt to prove to the children that she was indeed once a child?
4. How does Douglas convince the shoe store owner to give him the new shoes and how does this process help the shoe store owner himself?
5. What great secret does Douglas believe his father and Tom have already realized?
6. Describe how Douglas feels as he completes the task for his grandfather and describe what the tasks are.
7. How does Leo rationalize to a displeased Lena that the Happiness Machine is a necessity?
8. Why does Douglas suggest that he and John spend the time alone in a haystack doing nothing?
9. What do Douglas and his father experience very differently and provide one example of how they see the same event quite differently?
10. What brings Douglas comfort after so many things that he loves have all changed and ended at once?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the changes Douglas undergoes throughout the novel. Use specific details from the novel to support your description. Do you believe the changes were for the positive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Generation gaps are explored throughout the novel. In what way is this important to the understanding of the characters of this novel? How do you personally relate to members of your own family who are from other generations? Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
How do characters throughout the novel use their imagination to make themselves happier? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answers. Do you believe this is a healthy way to live? Why or why not?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)