|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who witnessed the event where the Green Machine ran over the someone?
2. What do Miss Fern and Miss Roberta do to the Green Machine?
3. How much more money does Douglas need to buy the new sneakers himself?
4. Where do Douglas, his grandfather and brother meet Leo?
5. Where does the trolley conductor take the boys on the last day the trolley is to run?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Douglas' Grandfather become so upset at the idea of his neighbor replacing his grass with some that does not grow as fast?
2. What ruins Douglas' zest for life and desire to take in every new detail?
3. Why does Douglas suggest that he and John spend the time alone in a haystack doing nothing?
4. Why does Lena become reduced to tears after she uses the Happiness Machine that Leo built?
5. Describe how Douglas feels as he completes the task for his grandfather and describe what the tasks are.
6. What can be said that Leo has tampered with when he follows through on building the Happiness Machine?
7. Name two examples where Douglas tried to cling to something in order to control destiny or change.
8. How does Douglas convince the shoe store owner to give him the new shoes and how does this process help the shoe store owner himself?
9. What do Douglas and his father experience very differently and provide one example of how they see the same event quite differently?
10. Why does Douglas believe that he must get new sneakers to keep his new found sense of aliveness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the author of this novel chose the title Dandelion Wine? Do you believe it is an appropriate title for the book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe Douglas is the only child disturbed by the events of the Lonely One's last murder? What do you think the purpose of including such a character in the novel was? Do you believe the character was developed enough, too much or not enough? Support your answer with information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How are the themes of fear and death developed throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your statements. Do you believe the author does a good job at developing these themes? Why or why not?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)