Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the dandelion wine used for during the winter?
2. What surprise does John have for Douglas?
3. In what year does this novel begin?
4. How does Tom feel as he and his mother approach the ravine?
5. What is it about Helen Bentley that the children do not believe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Douglas suggest that he and John spend the time alone in a haystack doing nothing?
2. How did Douglas finish his tablet entry and when did he make the decision to finish the entry in this manner?
3. What new revelation does Douglas come to by dividing up his summer?
4. What other relationships does Bill and Helen's relationship parallel?
5. What can be said that Leo has tampered with when he follows through on building the Happiness Machine?
6. Based on Tom's habit of keeping statistics, what idea does Douglas implement himself?
7. What brings Douglas comfort after so many things that he loves have all changed and ended at once?
8. How does Lavinia come to be the one responsible for the death of the Lonely One?
9. How did Bill end up falling in love with Helen even though there was a significant difference in their ages?
10. What does Douglas believe would have happened between Bill and Helen if they had been born at different times?
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the changes Douglas undergoes throughout the novel. Use specific details from the novel to support your description. Do you believe the changes were for the positive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of aging developed throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your statements. Do you believe the author does a good job at developing this theme? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel adults and children are often compared. Does the novel lead the reader to believe that they are more similar or more different? What events from the novel support your conclusions?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)