|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leo believe machines end up being used for?
2. What do Leo and Lena argue about?
3. What did Douglas want his father to buy him after they went to a movie?
4. Where do many of the women work and chat on the summer nights?
5. How much more money does Douglas need to buy the new sneakers himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the accident with Mr. Quartermain distress Miss Fern and Miss Roberta so much?
2. How do Tom's fears come to surround him, make him feel, and expand into his imagination?
3. What does the beating of the rugs symbolize to Douglas and Tom both?
4. What are the different views on Helen's death and how it relates to happy endings by Douglas and Tom?
5. Why is Sam not surprised to return home from his job as the postman to find his wife, Elmira, hurt?
6. What does Douglas wonder about his own memories and how they can or do travel?
7. How does Leo rationalize to a displeased Lena that the Happiness Machine is a necessity?
8. How does Douglas come to recover from the fever?
9. How did Helen overcome her exasperation at the children not being able to accept the fact that she was once young?
10. Why is Frank confused at the message that Douglas gives to him to relay to his sisters?
Essay Topic 1
Death is an ongoing issue which must be dealt with throughout the novel. Describe the similarities and differences between how the children dealt with death and how the adults did. Make connections between this and your own personal experience.
Essay Topic 2
Kinship and personal connections are often explored throughout the novel. How and why is this an important part of the novel's themes? Do you agree with the way the author portrays these concepts? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What does the end of the summer mark for Douglas? Do you believe that this change was for the positive or negative? Why do you feel that way?
This section contains 1,352 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)