|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprise does John have for Douglas?
2. What color is associated with the trolley?
3. What do Miss Fern and Miss Roberta hide?
4. What does Lena make sure is happening before she sends for the fire department?
5. What does the Happiness Machine actually result in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ruins Douglas' zest for life and desire to take in every new detail?
2. What revelation does Leo come to after the Happiness Machine burns?
3. Why does Douglas suggest that he and John spend the time alone in a haystack doing nothing?
4. What great secret does Douglas believe his father and Tom have already realized?
5. Describe, in detail, the major themes focused on within this section of reading.
6. What does the beating of the rugs symbolize to Douglas and Tom both?
7. Why does Lena become reduced to tears after she uses the Happiness Machine that Leo built?
8. How do Tom's fears come to surround him, make him feel, and expand into his imagination?
9. What is Leo having a difficult time resolving in his own mind that he discusses albeit briefly with Douglas?
10. What does the Green Machine offer to Miss Fern and Miss Roberta that is suddenly taken away after the accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The overall tone of this novel could be described as enchanting childhood summers. What examples from the text support this tone? Are there events that do not support this tone? If so what are they? If not, why do you think there are none?
Essay Topic 2
How do characters throughout the novel use their imagination to make themselves happier? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answers. Do you believe this is a healthy way to live? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How are the themes of man and nature developed throughout the novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your statements. Do you believe the author does a good job at developing these themes? Why or why not?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)