|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Douglas use to begin to appreciate his surroundings?
2. What divides Green Town into two?
3. How is Frank related to Miss Fern and Miss Roberta?
4. What is the dandelion wine used for during the winter?
5. Which of the following words means about the same thing as the word distilled as it is used in the following sentence? The distilled brew will serve the family well.
Short Essay Questions
1. What portion of this section of the novel is the best example of the division between the elderly and the young?
2. How does Helen Bentley attempt to prove to the children that she was indeed once a child?
3. Why does Douglas' Grandfather become so upset at the idea of his neighbor replacing his grass with some that does not grow as fast?
4. Describe how Douglas feels as he completes the task for his grandfather and describe what the tasks are.
5. Why is Frank confused at the message that Douglas gives to him to relay to his sisters?
6. What great secret does Douglas believe his father and Tom have already realized?
7. Why does Douglas suggest that he and John spend the time alone in a haystack doing nothing?
8. What is Leo having a difficult time resolving in his own mind that he discusses albeit briefly with Douglas?
9. What is the overall tone of the opening of this novel and why do you believe that is the case?
10. Why does Douglas believe that he must get new sneakers to keep his new found sense of aliveness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many things change in this novel. Provide details describing how both the adults and children handle change in the novel. Use specific details from the novel to support your description.
Essay Topic 2
Kinship and personal connections are often explored throughout the novel. How and why is this an important part of the novel's themes? Do you agree with the way the author portrays these concepts? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How do characters throughout the novel use their imagination to make themselves happier? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answers. Do you believe this is a healthy way to live? Why or why not?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)