|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leo deduce that he himself has been?
2. How does Lena feel about the idea of the Happiness Machine?
3. What does Douglas like to think of John as?
4. How fast does the Green machine travel?
5. Where does Tridden tell the boys the trolley used to ride for summer picnics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Leo having a difficult time resolving in his own mind that he discusses albeit briefly with Douglas?
2. How does Douglas help Grandmother to be able to return to the excellent cook she always was before Aunt Rose came?
3. What revelation does Leo come to after the Happiness Machine burns?
4. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas that she will always be with him, even for a thousand years?
5. Describe a typical summer night for Douglas' family.
6. Why is Sam not surprised to return home from his job as the postman to find his wife, Elmira, hurt?
7. Why does Douglas believe that he must get new sneakers to keep his new found sense of aliveness?
8. What do Douglas and his father experience very differently and provide one example of how they see the same event quite differently?
9. Why does Colonel Freeleigh call Mexico City twice before he dies?
10. How do Clara and Elmira reconcile their differences and eventually become friendly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What powerful recognition does Douglas come to at the end of the novel? How is this recognition important? What does it represent in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Some might say that by acknowledging that some day he will die leads to Douglas almost facing death by becoming very ill. Explain why this statement might be accurate and why it might be inaccurate. Use specific examples from the novel to support your explanations.
Essay Topic 3
Children in the novel often live in the present, not the past or future. In what way do some of the adults in this novel live the same way? Think of an adult that you know that lives this same way. Do you think it is a good way to live? Use their experiences to support your judgment.
This section contains 1,385 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)