|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do many of the women work and chat on the summer nights?
2. What color is associated with the trolley?
3. Which word best describes how Miss Fern and Miss Roberta feel?
4. Who witnessed the event where the Green Machine ran over the someone?
5. Where is Father after Tom returns home with Grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why is Colonel Freeleigh a real time machine, though not a mechanical contraption?
2. What ruins Douglas' zest for life and desire to take in every new detail?
3. Describe a typical summer night for Douglas' family.
4. What does the Green Machine offer to Miss Fern and Miss Roberta that is suddenly taken away after the accident?
5. What brings Douglas comfort after so many things that he loves have all changed and ended at once?
6. Name two examples where Douglas tried to cling to something in order to control destiny or change.
7. Which brother seems more like the father and in what way do they seem to be the same?
8. What new revelation does Douglas come to by dividing up his summer?
9. What does the beating of the rugs symbolize to Douglas and Tom both?
10. How does Leo rationalize to a displeased Lena that the Happiness Machine is a necessity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the changes Douglas undergoes throughout the novel. Use specific details from the novel to support your description. Do you believe the changes were for the positive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of tradition versus change developed throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your statements. Do you believe the author does a good job at developing this theme? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What does the end of the summer mark for Douglas? Do you believe that this change was for the positive or negative? Why do you feel that way?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)