|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many parts does Douglas decide to keep track of his summer in?
2. What summer ritual do Douglas and Tom take part in?
3. What color is associated with the trolley?
4. Where is Father after Tom returns home with Grandfather?
5. What does Lena make sure is happening before she sends for the fire department?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the overall tone of the opening of this novel and why do you believe that is the case?
2. What ruins Douglas' zest for life and desire to take in every new detail?
3. What can be said that Leo has tampered with when he follows through on building the Happiness Machine?
4. How did Helen overcome her exasperation at the children not being able to accept the fact that she was once young?
5. How does Leo rationalize to a displeased Lena that the Happiness Machine is a necessity?
6. What does the Green Machine offer to Miss Fern and Miss Roberta that is suddenly taken away after the accident?
7. What ritual does Douglas take comfort in that relates to the adults in his life?
8. What is Leo having a difficult time resolving in his own mind that he discusses albeit briefly with Douglas?
9. Why does Douglas believe that he must get new sneakers to keep his new found sense of aliveness?
10. What great secret does Douglas believe his father and Tom have already realized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the themes of man and nature developed throughout the novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your statements. Do you believe the author does a good job at developing these themes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What powerful recognition does Douglas come to at the end of the novel? How is this recognition important? What does it represent in his life?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of aging developed throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your statements. Do you believe the author does a good job at developing this theme? Why or why not?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)