|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leo have a difficult time resolving the dynamics between?
2. Which word best describes how Miss Fern and Miss Roberta feel?
3. What makes Lena furious about the time Leo spent working on the Happiness Machine?
4. What is considered Douglas and Tom's first rite of the summer?
5. Why does Mother grow anxious when Tom returns from the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What great secret does Douglas believe his father and Tom have already realized?
2. Which brother seems more like the father and in what way do they seem to be the same?
3. What do Douglas and his father experience very differently and provide one example of how they see the same event quite differently?
4. Why does Douglas' Grandfather become so upset at the idea of his neighbor replacing his grass with some that does not grow as fast?
5. What ruins Douglas' zest for life and desire to take in every new detail?
6. Why does Douglas suggest that he and John spend the time alone in a haystack doing nothing?
7. Why does Lena become reduced to tears after she uses the Happiness Machine that Leo built?
8. What is the overall tone of the opening of this novel and why do you believe that is the case?
9. Based on Tom's habit of keeping statistics, what idea does Douglas implement himself?
10. What portion of this section of the novel is the best example of the division between the elderly and the young?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many things change in this novel. Provide details describing how both the adults and children handle change in the novel. Use specific details from the novel to support your description.
Essay Topic 2
What does the end of the summer mark for Douglas? Do you believe that this change was for the positive or negative? Why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe the author of this novel chose the title Dandelion Wine? Do you believe it is an appropriate title for the book? Why or why not?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)