|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mother send Tom to purchase?
2. Who witnessed the event where the Green Machine ran over the someone?
3. How is Frank related to Miss Fern and Miss Roberta?
4. Which of the following words would Douglas use to describe Green Town?
5. What rite does Douglas perform on the third day of summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Helen overcome her exasperation at the children not being able to accept the fact that she was once young?
2. What ritual does Douglas take comfort in that relates to the adults in his life?
3. What is the overall tone of the opening of this novel and why do you believe that is the case?
4. What do Douglas and his father experience very differently and provide one example of how they see the same event quite differently?
5. Describe a typical summer night for Douglas' family.
6. Why is Frank confused at the message that Douglas gives to him to relay to his sisters?
7. Name two examples where Douglas tried to cling to something in order to control destiny or change.
8. How and why is Colonel Freeleigh a real time machine, though not a mechanical contraption?
9. What can be said that Leo has tampered with when he follows through on building the Happiness Machine?
10. Describe how Douglas feels as he completes the task for his grandfather and describe what the tasks are.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of aging developed throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your statements. Do you believe the author does a good job at developing this theme? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Mr. Jonas and Douglas can be considered kindred souls. Use examples from the text to support your answer. Do you believe this meshing of minds and souls is what led to Douglas' healing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe the author of this novel chose the title Dandelion Wine? Do you believe it is an appropriate title for the book? Why or why not?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)