|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bill order at the drug store ice cream counter which catches the attention of Helen?
(a) Old-fashioned vanilla
(b) Old-fashioned chocolate shake
(c) Old-fashioned cherry soda
(d) Old-fashioned lime-vanilla ice
2. Which of the following terms best describes how Grandma is when it comes to her recipes?
3. What does Douglas dream of when he has the fever?
(a) The ravine
(b) Great grandmother
(c) Lonely One
(d) Green town
4. What does Clara pretend she is to annoy Elmira?
5. Which of the following characters dies in this section of the novel?
(b) Bill Forester
(d) Colonel Freeleigh
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bill remind Helen of?
2. Who comes to visit Grandfather and Grandma?
3. What event helps to resolve the differences between Clara and Elmira?
4. What does Tom represent according to Elmira as she takes him with her to the lodge?
5. How will Bill know when Helen has died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Bill end up falling in love with Helen even though there was a significant difference in their ages?
2. Why do Tom, Douglas and Charlie believe that the man that Lavina killed is not the Lonely One?
3. What does Douglas think about Colonel Freeleigh's death that he feels comfortable sharing with Tom?
4. How did Douglas finish his tablet entry and when did he make the decision to finish the entry in this manner?
5. What are the different views on Helen's death and how it relates to happy endings by Douglas and Tom?
6. Why doesn't Douglas finish his entry about what he must do some day in his tablet?
7. How does Lavina feel on her lonely walk home after finding the dead body and going to the movies with her friend?
8. How does Lavinia come to be the one responsible for the death of the Lonely One?
9. What happens when Elmira starts to make her speech after she drinks the special brew she made to thwart any spells Clara might cast?
10. What does Douglas believe would have happened between Bill and Helen if they had been born at different times?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)