|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Douglas hide from Grandma to help her become a better cook?
(d) New glasses
2. How does the empty mason jar make Douglas feel?
3. What do Tom, Grandfather and Douglas do which indicates the end of summer?
(a) Take down the porch swing
(b) Put the rugs back in the house
(c) Put lawn mower away
(d) Get out the shovel
4. What does Mr. Black do with the wax figurine?
(a) Sells it
(b) Breaks it into many pieces
(c) Moves it into his own home
(d) Throws it down the ravine
5. What does Douglas dream of when he has the fever?
(a) Great grandmother
(b) The ravine
(c) Green town
(d) Lonely One
Short Answer Questions
1. Who watches Douglas write in his tablet?
2. How often do Helen and Bill begin meeting?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describe Douglas' reflections on his summer experiences?
4. How old was Helen in the photo Bill found of her in the paper?
5. What is the second card for Tom that the wax tarot witch delivers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Bill end up falling in love with Helen even though there was a significant difference in their ages?
2. Why is Sam not surprised to return home from his job as the postman to find his wife, Elmira, hurt?
3. How does Lavinia come to be the one responsible for the death of the Lonely One?
4. What powerful realization does Douglas come to during this section of the novel?
5. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas that she will always be with him, even for a thousand years?
6. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas to find the new person who will take over the chore of fixing the roof shingles in the spring which she used to be responsible for doing?
7. What are the different views on Helen's death and how it relates to happy endings by Douglas and Tom?
8. Why does Douglas want to rescue Mme. Tarot from Mr. Black?
9. How does Tom keep an eye on Mr. Black so that Douglas and Tom can rescue Mme. Tarot?
10. What other relationships does Bill and Helen's relationship parallel?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)