|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Helen invite Bill to her house the next day?
(a) She wants him to bring Douglas
(b) He has a picture of hers to return
(c) To continue the conversation
(d) Because she owes him money
2. Which of the following characters helps Douglas with the wax tarot witch?
(b) Mr. Black
3. Which of the characters below is seriously ill during this section of the novel?
(b) Colonel Freeleigh
4. What does Mr. Black do to try and fix the wax tarot witch machine?
(a) Unplugs it and plugs it back in
(b) Thumps on it
(c) Opens the back with a screwdriver
(d) Puts in a penny
5. What event helps to resolve the differences between Clara and Elmira?
(a) Election to the president
(b) Fall down the stairs
(c) Special brew
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Black do with the wax figurine?
2. Which of the following adjectives best describes Douglas' mood when Lavina and Francine passed him?
3. What will be inside the envelope Bill will receive from Helen?
4. What city does Colonel Freeleigh call?
5. What does Tom use to help determine the weather?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Douglas finish his entry about what he must do some day in his tablet?
2. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas that she will always be with him, even for a thousand years?
3. How does Douglas decide is the best way to pay back Mr. Jonas?
4. Why does Colonel Freeleigh call Mexico City twice before he dies?
5. How does Tom keep an eye on Mr. Black so that Douglas and Tom can rescue Mme. Tarot?
6. What does Douglas think about Colonel Freeleigh's death that he feels comfortable sharing with Tom?
7. What other relationships does Bill and Helen's relationship parallel?
8. What are the different views on Helen's death and how it relates to happy endings by Douglas and Tom?
9. How do Clara and Elmira reconcile their differences and eventually become friendly?
10. How does Douglas come to recover from the fever?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)