|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Douglas join for ice cream at the drugstore?
(a) Helen Loomis
(b) Mrs. Bentley
(c) Bill Forrester
(d) Colonel Freeleigh
2. What does Douglas dream of when he has the fever?
(a) Lonely One
(b) Great grandmother
(c) The ravine
(d) Green town
3. What does Bill order at the drug store ice cream counter which catches the attention of Helen?
(a) Old-fashioned vanilla
(b) Old-fashioned cherry soda
(c) Old-fashioned lime-vanilla ice
(d) Old-fashioned chocolate shake
4. Who comes to talk to Douglas about how some people feel things more than others?
(a) Mr. Jonas
(d) Great grandfather
5. What does Helen invite Bill to her house to do?
(a) Drink tea
(b) Mow her grass
(c) Fix her sink
(d) Fix the fence
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters helps Douglas with the wax tarot witch?
2. What does Great-grandma hold up to use with Douglas to explain?
3. How old was Helen in the photo Bill found of her in the paper?
4. What city does Colonel Freeleigh call?
5. Where does Charlie say the Lonely One grew up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What powerful realization does Douglas come to during this section of the novel?
2. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas to find the new person who will take over the chore of fixing the roof shingles in the spring which she used to be responsible for doing?
3. How do Clara and Elmira reconcile their differences and eventually become friendly?
4. What are the different views on Helen's death and how it relates to happy endings by Douglas and Tom?
5. How did Douglas finish his tablet entry and when did he make the decision to finish the entry in this manner?
6. How does Douglas help Grandmother to be able to return to the excellent cook she always was before Aunt Rose came?
7. How did Bill end up falling in love with Helen even though there was a significant difference in their ages?
8. How does Douglas come to recover from the fever?
9. What does Douglas think about Colonel Freeleigh's death that he feels comfortable sharing with Tom?
10. What does Douglas wonder about his own memories and how they can or do travel?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)