|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom represent according to Elmira as she takes him with her to the lodge?
2. What chore has Great-grandma always done for the family?
(a) Repairing the roof shingles
(b) Cooking dinner
(c) Sewing the clothes that are torn
(d) Charting the family history
3. What does Douglas wonder?
(a) What happened to happy endings
(b) Why people must grow older
(c) Why Helen had to die
(d) Why Bill and Helen weren't married
4. Who comes to visit Grandfather and Grandma?
(a) Aunt Rose
(b) Mr. Jonas
(d) Great grandma
5. Which of the following adjectives best describe Douglas' reflections on his summer experiences?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters dies in this section of the novel?
2. How does the special brew make Elmira feel?
3. Which of the following terms best describes the relationship between Elmira Brown and Clara Goodwater?
4. What does Colonel Freeleigh enjoy listening to?
5. Which of the following characters helps Douglas with the wax tarot witch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Douglas come to recover from the fever?
2. How does Lavina feel on her lonely walk home after finding the dead body and going to the movies with her friend?
3. What powerful realization does Douglas come to during this section of the novel?
4. What does Douglas think about Colonel Freeleigh's death that he feels comfortable sharing with Tom?
5. How does Douglas decide is the best way to pay back Mr. Jonas?
6. What is unique about Mr. Jonas' business with the junkyard wagon and horse?
7. How do Clara and Elmira reconcile their differences and eventually become friendly?
8. Describe the scene where Elmira confronts Clara and how Clara reacts.
9. How does Lavinia come to be the one responsible for the death of the Lonely One?
10. Why doesn't Douglas finish his entry about what he must do some day in his tablet?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)