|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following words best describes Tom?
2. What does Douglas wonder?
(a) Why people must grow older
(b) What happened to happy endings
(c) Why Bill and Helen weren't married
(d) Why Helen had to die
3. Which of the characters below is seriously ill during this section of the novel?
(d) Colonel Freeleigh
4. How old is Helen Loomis?
5. What do Tom, Grandfather and Douglas do which indicates the end of summer?
(a) Get out the shovel
(b) Put the rugs back in the house
(c) Put lawn mower away
(d) Take down the porch swing
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes Douglas' mood when Lavina and Francine passed him?
2. How does the nurse hope to prevent Colonel Freeleigh from making any more phone calls?
3. Where does Douglas keep his fireflies?
4. How old was Helen in the photo Bill found of her in the paper?
5. What does Elmira prepare for the election day at the lodge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about Mr. Jonas' business with the junkyard wagon and horse?
2. How does Lavinia come to be the one responsible for the death of the Lonely One?
3. Why do Tom, Douglas and Charlie believe that the man that Lavina killed is not the Lonely One?
4. What does Douglas think about Colonel Freeleigh's death that he feels comfortable sharing with Tom?
5. Why is Sam not surprised to return home from his job as the postman to find his wife, Elmira, hurt?
6. How does Douglas decide is the best way to pay back Mr. Jonas?
7. Why does Douglas believe that he must work with Tom to rescue the real Mme. Tarot?
8. How did Bill end up falling in love with Helen even though there was a significant difference in their ages?
9. What happens when Elmira starts to make her speech after she drinks the special brew she made to thwart any spells Clara might cast?
10. What powerful realization does Douglas come to during this section of the novel?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)