|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the characters below is seriously ill during this section of the novel?
(a) Colonel Freeleigh
2. How old was Helen in the photo Bill found of her in the paper?
3. How does the nurse hope to prevent Colonel Freeleigh from making any more phone calls?
(a) Hides his wheelchair
(b) Gives him a sedative
(c) Unplugs the phone
(d) Has long distance calls blocked
4. What does Douglas help his grandfather store?
(a) Bottles of dandelion wine
(b) Cans of food
(c) Pictures and other momentos
(d) Bottles of water
5. How does Douglas wonder if memories can travel?
(a) Across memories
(d) Through discussions
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elmira prepare for the election day at the lodge?
2. What feelings does Douglas hope to reconcile?
3. What is part of the attraction that Douglas has for the wax tarot reader?
4. Which of the following characters does Great-grandma summon first?
5. What is the second card for Tom that the wax tarot witch delivers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Douglas come to recover from the fever?
2. What happens when Elmira starts to make her speech after she drinks the special brew she made to thwart any spells Clara might cast?
3. What do the various bottles of dandelion wine that were bottled from June and July represent to Douglas?
4. What does Douglas wonder about his own memories and how they can or do travel?
5. How does Douglas help Grandmother to be able to return to the excellent cook she always was before Aunt Rose came?
6. How does Tom keep an eye on Mr. Black so that Douglas and Tom can rescue Mme. Tarot?
7. Why does Colonel Freeleigh call Mexico City twice before he dies?
8. Describe the scene where Elmira confronts Clara and how Clara reacts.
9. What are the different views on Helen's death and how it relates to happy endings by Douglas and Tom?
10. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas that she will always be with him, even for a thousand years?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)