|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helen do with most of her possessions after deciding to live only in the present?
(a) Puts them on the porch
(b) Burns them
(c) Sells them at a sale
(d) Throws them in the trash
2. What did Mr. Bentley compare items from the past as?
(a) Magic tricks
3. What is going to replace the trolley?
4. What season is it as the novel opens?
5. Which of the following characters did the Green Machine run over?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does this novel begin?
2. What do Charlie and John take Douglas to see?
3. Where do Douglas, his grandfather and brother meet Leo?
4. What does Leo have a difficult time resolving the dynamics between?
5. How old is Douglas at the beginning of this novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new revelation does Douglas come to by dividing up his summer?
2. Describe how Douglas feels as he completes the task for his grandfather and describe what the tasks are.
3. Describe a typical summer night for Douglas' family.
4. Which brother seems more like the father and in what way do they seem to be the same?
5. What do Douglas and his father experience very differently and provide one example of how they see the same event quite differently?
6. What ritual does Douglas take comfort in that relates to the adults in his life?
7. In what ways was the fact that change is difficult for children reinforced in this section of the novel?
8. Why does Douglas suggest that he and John spend the time alone in a haystack doing nothing?
9. How did Helen overcome her exasperation at the children not being able to accept the fact that she was once young?
10. What portion of this section of the novel is the best example of the division between the elderly and the young?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)