|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Douglas want his father to buy him after they went to a movie?
(d) Ice cream cone
2. What does Helen Bentley purchase for a group of children?
(b) Ice cream
3. What does Douglas suggest he and Tom own together?
(a) Gold mine
(b) Green Machine
(c) Ice cream shop
(d) Happiness Machine
4. What is Tom relieved by when they return home?
(a) Douglas' sweat
(b) The ice cream he purchased
(c) The sound of his father returning
(d) Mother's cooking
5. What is it about Helen Bentley that the children do not believe?
(a) That she can be mean
(b) That she was once young
(c) That she dislikes summer
(d) That she is rich
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Lena furious about the time Leo spent working on the Happiness Machine?
2. What season is it as the novel opens?
3. Where do many of the women work and chat on the summer nights?
4. Which word best describes how Miss Fern and Miss Roberta feel?
5. What does Douglas use to begin to appreciate his surroundings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Douglas feels as he completes the task for his grandfather and describe what the tasks are.
2. What does the beating of the rugs symbolize to Douglas and Tom both?
3. How and why is Colonel Freeleigh a real time machine, though not a mechanical contraption?
4. How does Douglas convince the shoe store owner to give him the new shoes and how does this process help the shoe store owner himself?
5. What new revelation does Douglas come to by dividing up his summer?
6. What portion of this section of the novel is the best example of the division between the elderly and the young?
7. What ritual does Douglas take comfort in that relates to the adults in his life?
8. Describe, in detail, the major themes focused on within this section of reading.
9. How do Tom's fears come to surround him, make him feel, and expand into his imagination?
10. What great secret does Douglas believe his father and Tom have already realized?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)