|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days does Leo spend working on the Happiness Machine?
2. Where does Tridden tell the boys the trolley used to ride for summer picnics?
3. What does Leo deduce that he himself has been?
(b) Great inventor
(c) Relieved of a huge burdeon
(d) At his happiest
4. Which of the following are the major themes of this section?
(a) Life and death
(b) Death and fear
(c) Relief and happiness
(d) Perseverence and friendship
5. What does Douglas find contentment in on Grandfather's porch?
(a) Brother's love
(b) Adults' presence and chatter
(c) Catching lightning bugs
(d) Sounds of the crickets
Short Answer Questions
1. What season is it as the novel opens?
2. What did Douglas want his father to buy him after they went to a movie?
3. What divides Green Town into two?
4. Which of the following terms is an antonym for the term jubilant?
5. What do Leo and Lena argue about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Douglas and his father experience very differently and provide one example of how they see the same event quite differently?
2. Why did the accident with Mr. Quartermain distress Miss Fern and Miss Roberta so much?
3. How does Leo rationalize to a displeased Lena that the Happiness Machine is a necessity?
4. What ritual does Douglas take comfort in that relates to the adults in his life?
5. What is Leo having a difficult time resolving in his own mind that he discusses albeit briefly with Douglas?
6. Describe, in detail, the major themes focused on within this section of reading.
7. How does Douglas convince the shoe store owner to give him the new shoes and how does this process help the shoe store owner himself?
8. Which brother seems more like the father and in what way do they seem to be the same?
9. How do Tom's fears come to surround him, make him feel, and expand into his imagination?
10. How does Helen Bentley attempt to prove to the children that she was indeed once a child?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)