|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Happiness Machine actually result in?
2. How old is Mrs. Bentley?
3. What is going to replace the trolley?
4. What is Tom relieved by when they return home?
(a) Mother's cooking
(b) Douglas' sweat
(c) The sound of his father returning
(d) The ice cream he purchased
5. What does Douglas offer to do to make up for the money he is short so that he will still be able to get the shoes?
(a) Advertises with his friends about the shoes
(b) Collects dandelions
(c) Runs errands
(d) Cleans the store
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is the conductor of the trolley?
2. Where does Douglas record his time traveling encounter?
3. What is mother doing while Tom sits by the front door screen?
4. How does Lena feel about the idea of the Happiness Machine?
5. What does the time machine turn out to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leo rationalize to a displeased Lena that the Happiness Machine is a necessity?
2. What ruins Douglas' zest for life and desire to take in every new detail?
3. Why does Douglas' Grandfather become so upset at the idea of his neighbor replacing his grass with some that does not grow as fast?
4. How and why is Colonel Freeleigh a real time machine, though not a mechanical contraption?
5. What great secret does Douglas believe his father and Tom have already realized?
6. How does Douglas convince the shoe store owner to give him the new shoes and how does this process help the shoe store owner himself?
7. Describe a typical summer night for Douglas' family.
8. What revelation does Leo come to after the Happiness Machine burns?
9. How does Helen Bentley attempt to prove to the children that she was indeed once a child?
10. Why does Douglas believe that he must get new sneakers to keep his new found sense of aliveness?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)