|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many parts does Douglas decide to keep track of his summer in?
2. Which of the following is not something Leo Auffmann is known for?
(c) Movie projectionist
(d) Cigar shop owner
3. Which of the following characters is the conductor of the trolley?
4. What does Douglas suggest he and Tom own together?
(a) Gold mine
(b) Ice cream shop
(c) Green Machine
(d) Happiness Machine
5. How does the children's disbelief make Helen feel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Lena not see when she was in the Happiness Machine?
2. What does Leo deduce that he himself has been?
3. Where does Douglas record his time traveling encounter?
4. Where do many of the women work and chat on the summer nights?
5. What color is associated with the trolley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Douglas feels as he completes the task for his grandfather and describe what the tasks are.
2. What great secret does Douglas believe his father and Tom have already realized?
3. What does the beating of the rugs symbolize to Douglas and Tom both?
4. How does Helen Bentley attempt to prove to the children that she was indeed once a child?
5. Why does Douglas suggest that he and John spend the time alone in a haystack doing nothing?
6. How does Leo rationalize to a displeased Lena that the Happiness Machine is a necessity?
7. How do Tom's fears come to surround him, make him feel, and expand into his imagination?
8. What portion of this section of the novel is the best example of the division between the elderly and the young?
9. How and why is Colonel Freeleigh a real time machine, though not a mechanical contraption?
10. Describe, in detail, the major themes focused on within this section of reading.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)