|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rite does Douglas perform on the third day of summer?
(a) Remounting the porch swing
(b) Going for a nightly stroll
(c) Buying a cigar at the cigar shop
(d) Building a happiness machine
2. What does Helen Bentley purchase for a group of children?
(c) Ice cream
3. How often does Douglas spend the night with his grandparents?
4. What does Mrs. Bentley feel was stolen away by the children not believing that she was once young and pretty?
(a) Her posessions
(b) Her life
(c) Her memories
(d) Her childhood
5. What makes Lena furious about the time Leo spent working on the Happiness Machine?
(a) That he missed his child's special events
(b) That he wasted so many days
(c) That he ignored her complaints
(d) The emotional turmoil it caused the family
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Douglas want his father to buy him after they went to a movie?
2. What is mother doing while Tom sits by the front door screen?
3. Where does the trolley conductor take the boys on the last day the trolley is to run?
4. Who does Douglas go hiking with?
5. What color is associated with the trolley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Douglas and his father experience very differently and provide one example of how they see the same event quite differently?
2. How does Helen Bentley attempt to prove to the children that she was indeed once a child?
3. What does the Green Machine offer to Miss Fern and Miss Roberta that is suddenly taken away after the accident?
4. Why does Douglas believe that he must get new sneakers to keep his new found sense of aliveness?
5. What revelation does Leo come to after the Happiness Machine burns?
6. What ruins Douglas' zest for life and desire to take in every new detail?
7. What portion of this section of the novel is the best example of the division between the elderly and the young?
8. What is Leo having a difficult time resolving in his own mind that he discusses albeit briefly with Douglas?
9. Which brother seems more like the father and in what way do they seem to be the same?
10. What does the beating of the rugs symbolize to Douglas and Tom both?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)