|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Douglas at the beginning of this novel?
2. What surprise does John have for Douglas?
(a) He no longer wants to be Douglas's friend
(b) He is getting married
(c) His father is dying
(d) He is moving
3. What do Miss Fern and Miss Roberta hide?
(a) Time Machine
(b) Happiness Machine
(c) Love Machine
(d) Green Machine
4. What does the time machine turn out to be?
(a) A cardboard box
(b) An elderly person
(c) A movie theater
(d) A library
5. How does the children's disbelief make Helen feel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters believes that a sandwich outdoors tastes different from indoors?
2. What does mother call the specter of death?
3. Where is Father after Tom returns home with Grandfather?
4. Which word best describes how Miss Fern and Miss Roberta feel?
5. How does Tom feel as he and his mother approach the ravine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Frank confused at the message that Douglas gives to him to relay to his sisters?
2. Based on Tom's habit of keeping statistics, what idea does Douglas implement himself?
3. What ritual does Douglas take comfort in that relates to the adults in his life?
4. Describe, in detail, the major themes focused on within this section of reading.
5. How do Tom's fears come to surround him, make him feel, and expand into his imagination?
6. How does Douglas convince the shoe store owner to give him the new shoes and how does this process help the shoe store owner himself?
7. How does Helen Bentley attempt to prove to the children that she was indeed once a child?
8. How did Helen overcome her exasperation at the children not being able to accept the fact that she was once young?
9. Why did the accident with Mr. Quartermain distress Miss Fern and Miss Roberta so much?
10. What do Douglas and his father experience very differently and provide one example of how they see the same event quite differently?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)