|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is associated with the trolley?
2. Where does Douglas go while Grandfather takes Tom home?
(a) Movie house
(b) Friends house
(d) Leo's house
3. What does Douglas offer to do to make up for the money he is short so that he will still be able to get the shoes?
(a) Collects dandelions
(b) Cleans the store
(c) Runs errands
(d) Advertises with his friends about the shoes
4. What is mother doing while Tom sits by the front door screen?
5. What do Charlie and John take Douglas to see?
(a) Happiness machine
(b) Life machine
(c) Ice cream machine
(d) Time machine
Short Answer Questions
1. What are jackstones?
2. What does mother call the specter of death?
3. How many days does Leo spend working on the Happiness Machine?
4. Why does Douglas' sense of excitement become lackluster when he is with his friends?
5. Where do the men and boys gather on many of the summer nights?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Douglas convince the shoe store owner to give him the new shoes and how does this process help the shoe store owner himself?
2. Describe how Douglas feels as he completes the task for his grandfather and describe what the tasks are.
3. How did Helen overcome her exasperation at the children not being able to accept the fact that she was once young?
4. What brings Douglas comfort after so many things that he loves have all changed and ended at once?
5. Describe a typical summer night for Douglas' family.
6. What does the beating of the rugs symbolize to Douglas and Tom both?
7. What new revelation does Douglas come to by dividing up his summer?
8. Why does Douglas believe that he must get new sneakers to keep his new found sense of aliveness?
9. What great secret does Douglas believe his father and Tom have already realized?
10. What is the overall tone of the opening of this novel and why do you believe that is the case?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)