|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does this novel begin?
2. What do Miss Fern and Miss Roberta do to the Green Machine?
(a) Put it in the garage
(b) Destroy it
(c) Disconnect the battery
(d) Give it to Douglas
3. In what state does this novel take place?
4. What is Tom relieved by when they return home?
(a) The sound of his father returning
(b) Douglas' sweat
(c) Mother's cooking
(d) The ice cream he purchased
5. Which of the following characters is the conductor of the trolley?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lena feel about the idea of the Happiness Machine?
2. Which of the following doesn't Helen show to the children?
3. What is going to replace the trolley?
4. What does Leo deduce that he himself has been?
5. What summer first does Grandfather look forward to and relish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What brings Douglas comfort after so many things that he loves have all changed and ended at once?
2. Based on Tom's habit of keeping statistics, what idea does Douglas implement himself?
3. Describe, in detail, the major themes focused on within this section of reading.
4. What portion of this section of the novel is the best example of the division between the elderly and the young?
5. How does Douglas convince the shoe store owner to give him the new shoes and how does this process help the shoe store owner himself?
6. How did Helen overcome her exasperation at the children not being able to accept the fact that she was once young?
7. How does Helen Bentley attempt to prove to the children that she was indeed once a child?
8. Why does Lena become reduced to tears after she uses the Happiness Machine that Leo built?
9. How do Tom's fears come to surround him, make him feel, and expand into his imagination?
10. What revelation does Leo come to after the Happiness Machine burns?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)