|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom say would not belong in a Happiness Machine?
(a) The lonely one
(b) Ravine at night
2. What does Douglas suggest they should build?
(a) Grape and wine picking machine
(b) Cigar cutter
(c) New wine press
(d) Happiness machine
3. What are jackstones?
4. Where does Douglas record his time traveling encounter?
(c) No where
5. What does Grandfather need to press with the dandelions Douglas and his brother collect?
(a) Fox grapes
(b) Wild strawberries
(c) Mint leaves
(d) Fresh rainwater
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lena make sure is happening before she sends for the fire department?
2. How many parts does Douglas decide to keep track of his summer in?
3. What is considered Douglas and Tom's first rite of the summer?
4. What do Leo and Lena argue about?
5. How old is Mrs. Bentley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the beating of the rugs symbolize to Douglas and Tom both?
2. What brings Douglas comfort after so many things that he loves have all changed and ended at once?
3. In what ways was the fact that change is difficult for children reinforced in this section of the novel?
4. Why does Lena become reduced to tears after she uses the Happiness Machine that Leo built?
5. What new revelation does Douglas come to by dividing up his summer?
6. Why did the accident with Mr. Quartermain distress Miss Fern and Miss Roberta so much?
7. How does Leo rationalize to a displeased Lena that the Happiness Machine is a necessity?
8. Based on Tom's habit of keeping statistics, what idea does Douglas implement himself?
9. What great secret does Douglas believe his father and Tom have already realized?
10. Describe, in detail, the major themes focused on within this section of reading.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)