|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Douglas' father speak about the wonders of?
2. What are jackstones?
3. What does Douglas suggest he and Tom own together?
(a) Green Machine
(b) Ice cream shop
(c) Gold mine
(d) Happiness Machine
4. What does Bill Forrester plan on doing that bothers Grandfather greatly?
(a) Replace his grass with some that does not need to be mowed
(b) Move out of the town
(c) Plant trees blocking Grandfather's view of the property
(d) Hire Douglas to cut his grass
5. What makes Lena furious about the time Leo spent working on the Happiness Machine?
(a) That he missed his child's special events
(b) The emotional turmoil it caused the family
(c) That he ignored her complaints
(d) That he wasted so many days
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Douglas go while Grandfather takes Tom home?
2. What does Leo believe machines end up being used for?
3. Which of the following characters first tried the machine after Leo announced it was finished?
4. What did Mr. Bentley compare items from the past as?
5. What does Leo believe the Happiness Machine will quell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about Mr. Jonas' business with the junkyard wagon and horse?
2. Why does Douglas want to rescue Mme. Tarot from Mr. Black?
3. How does Lavina feel on her lonely walk home after finding the dead body and going to the movies with her friend?
4. What great secret does Douglas believe his father and Tom have already realized?
5. What are the different views on Helen's death and how it relates to happy endings by Douglas and Tom?
6. Why does Douglas' Grandfather become so upset at the idea of his neighbor replacing his grass with some that does not grow as fast?
7. What ritual does Douglas take comfort in that relates to the adults in his life?
8. Why does Colonel Freeleigh call Mexico City twice before he dies?
9. What ruins Douglas' zest for life and desire to take in every new detail?
10. What does Douglas wonder about his own memories and how they can or do travel?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)