|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What divides Green Town into two?
(b) Railroad tracks
2. What do Charlie and John take Douglas to see?
(a) Ice cream machine
(b) Life machine
(c) Time machine
(d) Happiness machine
3. Which of the following words would Douglas use to describe Green Town?
4. How old is Douglas at the beginning of this novel?
5. What does Douglas find contentment in on Grandfather's porch?
(a) Catching lightning bugs
(b) Brother's love
(c) Adults' presence and chatter
(d) Sounds of the crickets
Short Answer Questions
1. Which category of his summer did Douglas decide remounting the porch swing with his grandfather fell into?
2. How old was Helen in the picture that she shows to the children?
3. Who witnessed the event where the Green Machine ran over the someone?
4. What is mother doing while Tom sits by the front door screen?
5. In what year does this novel begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Frank confused at the message that Douglas gives to him to relay to his sisters?
2. How does Great-grandma tell Douglas to find the new person who will take over the chore of fixing the roof shingles in the spring which she used to be responsible for doing?
3. Why does Douglas want to rescue Mme. Tarot from Mr. Black?
4. Why does Douglas suggest that he and John spend the time alone in a haystack doing nothing?
5. Why is Sam not surprised to return home from his job as the postman to find his wife, Elmira, hurt?
6. Why did the accident with Mr. Quartermain distress Miss Fern and Miss Roberta so much?
7. What does the Green Machine offer to Miss Fern and Miss Roberta that is suddenly taken away after the accident?
8. Which brother seems more like the father and in what way do they seem to be the same?
9. How did Helen overcome her exasperation at the children not being able to accept the fact that she was once young?
10. What happens when Elmira starts to make her speech after she drinks the special brew she made to thwart any spells Clara might cast?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)