|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mother send Tom to purchase?
(b) Iced tea
(c) Ice cream
2. What does Lena make sure is happening before she sends for the fire department?
(a) A hose is nearby
(b) Leo is safe
(c) The machine is burning well
(d) Saul and Leo are far from the machine
3. What do Miss Fern and Miss Roberta hide?
(a) Love Machine
(b) Happiness Machine
(c) Time Machine
(d) Green Machine
4. What does Tom say would not belong in a Happiness Machine?
(b) Ravine at night
(d) The lonely one
5. What does Douglas' father speak about the wonders of?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grandfather need to press with the dandelions Douglas and his brother collect?
2. Which of the following characters first tried the machine after Leo announced it was finished?
3. Where do Miss Fern and Miss Roberta hide?
4. What does Douglas offer to do to make up for the money he is short so that he will still be able to get the shoes?
5. What does Tom do as Douglas is contemplating his thoughts about the Thing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Green Machine offer to Miss Fern and Miss Roberta that is suddenly taken away after the accident?
2. What revelation does Leo come to after the Happiness Machine burns?
3. What is the overall tone of the opening of this novel and why do you believe that is the case?
4. What is Leo having a difficult time resolving in his own mind that he discusses albeit briefly with Douglas?
5. What great secret does Douglas believe his father and Tom have already realized?
6. What can be said that Leo has tampered with when he follows through on building the Happiness Machine?
7. Describe a typical summer night for Douglas' family.
8. What ritual does Douglas take comfort in that relates to the adults in his life?
9. How did Helen overcome her exasperation at the children not being able to accept the fact that she was once young?
10. How and why is Colonel Freeleigh a real time machine, though not a mechanical contraption?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)