|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leo believe machines end up being used for?
(a) Destructive purposes
(b) Angry purposes
2. What does Mrs. Bentley feel was stolen away by the children not believing that she was once young and pretty?
(a) Her memories
(b) Her life
(c) Her childhood
(d) Her posessions
3. How often does Douglas spend the night with his grandparents?
4. What is Tom relieved by when they return home?
(a) The ice cream he purchased
(b) Mother's cooking
(c) Douglas' sweat
(d) The sound of his father returning
5. What is going to replace the trolley?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Father after Tom returns home with Grandfather?
2. What did Douglas want his father to buy him after they went to a movie?
3. What does Lena make sure is happening before she sends for the fire department?
4. What do Miss Fern and Miss Roberta hide?
5. What does Douglas find contentment in on Grandfather's porch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Douglas suggest that he and John spend the time alone in a haystack doing nothing?
2. What portion of this section of the novel is the best example of the division between the elderly and the young?
3. Why does Douglas' Grandfather become so upset at the idea of his neighbor replacing his grass with some that does not grow as fast?
4. What is Leo having a difficult time resolving in his own mind that he discusses albeit briefly with Douglas?
5. What new revelation does Douglas come to by dividing up his summer?
6. What does the Green Machine offer to Miss Fern and Miss Roberta that is suddenly taken away after the accident?
7. What do Douglas and his father experience very differently and provide one example of how they see the same event quite differently?
8. How did Helen overcome her exasperation at the children not being able to accept the fact that she was once young?
9. Describe a typical summer night for Douglas' family.
10. Why does Lena become reduced to tears after she uses the Happiness Machine that Leo built?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)