|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much more money does Douglas need to buy the new sneakers himself?
(a) Fifty cents
(b) Twenty-five cents
(c) One dollar and ten cents
(d) One dollar
2. Which of the following is not something Leo Auffmann is known for?
(b) Movie projectionist
(c) Cigar shop owner
3. What does the time machine turn out to be?
(a) A library
(b) An elderly person
(c) A movie theater
(d) A cardboard box
4. What does Douglas suggest he and Tom own together?
(a) Gold mine
(b) Green Machine
(c) Ice cream shop
(d) Happiness Machine
5. Which of the following characters is the conductor of the trolley?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters first tried the machine after Leo announced it was finished?
2. How old is Mrs. Bentley?
3. Which of the following did Lena not see when she was in the Happiness Machine?
4. What happens to Leo after he enters the kitchen and announces he finished the plans for the Happiness Machine?
5. What are jackstones?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Helen overcome her exasperation at the children not being able to accept the fact that she was once young?
2. What ruins Douglas' zest for life and desire to take in every new detail?
3. Why does Douglas believe that he must get new sneakers to keep his new found sense of aliveness?
4. Describe how Douglas feels as he completes the task for his grandfather and describe what the tasks are.
5. What does the beating of the rugs symbolize to Douglas and Tom both?
6. What ritual does Douglas take comfort in that relates to the adults in his life?
7. In what ways was the fact that change is difficult for children reinforced in this section of the novel?
8. What brings Douglas comfort after so many things that he loves have all changed and ended at once?
9. What portion of this section of the novel is the best example of the division between the elderly and the young?
10. Why does Lena become reduced to tears after she uses the Happiness Machine that Leo built?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)