|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters first tried the machine after Leo announced it was finished?
2. How often does Douglas spend the night with his grandparents?
3. Which of the following is not something Leo Auffmann is known for?
(b) Cigar shop owner
(d) Movie projectionist
4. What is mother doing while Tom sits by the front door screen?
5. What does the Happiness Machine actually result in?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Miss Fern and Miss Roberta hide?
2. Which of the following did Lena not see when she was in the Happiness Machine?
3. What does Mother send Tom to purchase?
4. What surprise does John have for Douglas?
5. Which category of his summer did Douglas decide remounting the porch swing with his grandfather fell into?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the beating of the rugs symbolize to Douglas and Tom both?
2. What is the overall tone of the opening of this novel and why do you believe that is the case?
3. How does Helen Bentley attempt to prove to the children that she was indeed once a child?
4. Describe a typical summer night for Douglas' family.
5. Why does Douglas believe that he must get new sneakers to keep his new found sense of aliveness?
6. What does the Green Machine offer to Miss Fern and Miss Roberta that is suddenly taken away after the accident?
7. Describe how Douglas feels as he completes the task for his grandfather and describe what the tasks are.
8. Why does Douglas suggest that he and John spend the time alone in a haystack doing nothing?
9. How does Douglas convince the shoe store owner to give him the new shoes and how does this process help the shoe store owner himself?
10. Which brother seems more like the father and in what way do they seem to be the same?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)