|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Leo tries the machine himself?
(a) It explodes
(b) It works perfectly
(c) It reduces him to tears
(d) It catches on fire
2. Which of the following characters believes that a sandwich outdoors tastes different from indoors?
3. Why can't any of the children or towsnpeople remember a young Mrs. Bentley?
(a) She was never young
(b) It was too long ago
(c) She is older than everyone else
(d) She is new to town
4. How many parts does Douglas decide to keep track of his summer in?
5. Why does Mother grow anxious when Tom returns from the store?
(a) Douglas is not home yet
(b) The Lonely One is around
(c) She believes she forgot to unplug the iron
(d) Father is not home yet
Short Answer Questions
1. What is mother doing while Tom sits by the front door screen?
2. What is considered Douglas and Tom's first rite of the summer?
3. How are the children taken back in time?
4. What does Douglas question about his friends?
5. What does Douglas use to begin to appreciate his surroundings?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leo rationalize to a displeased Lena that the Happiness Machine is a necessity?
2. In what ways was the fact that change is difficult for children reinforced in this section of the novel?
3. Which brother seems more like the father and in what way do they seem to be the same?
4. What ruins Douglas' zest for life and desire to take in every new detail?
5. What revelation does Leo come to after the Happiness Machine burns?
6. How do Tom's fears come to surround him, make him feel, and expand into his imagination?
7. Why is Frank confused at the message that Douglas gives to him to relay to his sisters?
8. What do Douglas and his father experience very differently and provide one example of how they see the same event quite differently?
9. What is Leo having a difficult time resolving in his own mind that he discusses albeit briefly with Douglas?
10. Why does Douglas believe that he must get new sneakers to keep his new found sense of aliveness?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)