|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't any of the children or towsnpeople remember a young Mrs. Bentley?
(a) She was never young
(b) She is older than everyone else
(c) She is new to town
(d) It was too long ago
2. How does Lena feel about the idea of the Happiness Machine?
3. What happens when Leo tries the machine himself?
(a) It catches on fire
(b) It explodes
(c) It works perfectly
(d) It reduces him to tears
4. Which of the following did Lena not see when she was in the Happiness Machine?
(a) Life without Leo
(b) Sounds of music
(c) Images of Europe
(d) Smell of perfume
5. What does Leo believe the Happiness Machine will quell?
(a) Demons of human existence
Short Answer Questions
1. How much more money does Douglas need to buy the new sneakers himself?
2. How old is Mrs. Bentley?
3. Where is Father after Tom returns home with Grandfather?
4. What does Lena make sure is happening before she sends for the fire department?
5. How many days does Leo spend working on the Happiness Machine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new revelation does Douglas come to by dividing up his summer?
2. How does Douglas convince the shoe store owner to give him the new shoes and how does this process help the shoe store owner himself?
3. Which brother seems more like the father and in what way do they seem to be the same?
4. Why is Frank confused at the message that Douglas gives to him to relay to his sisters?
5. How does Helen Bentley attempt to prove to the children that she was indeed once a child?
6. What is Leo having a difficult time resolving in his own mind that he discusses albeit briefly with Douglas?
7. Why does Douglas' Grandfather become so upset at the idea of his neighbor replacing his grass with some that does not grow as fast?
8. What does the beating of the rugs symbolize to Douglas and Tom both?
9. What great secret does Douglas believe his father and Tom have already realized?
10. How and why is Colonel Freeleigh a real time machine, though not a mechanical contraption?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)