|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What divides Green Town into two?
(a) Railroad tracks
2. Why can't any of the children or towsnpeople remember a young Mrs. Bentley?
(a) She is older than everyone else
(b) She was never young
(c) It was too long ago
(d) She is new to town
3. What makes Lena furious about the time Leo spent working on the Happiness Machine?
(a) That he missed his child's special events
(b) That he wasted so many days
(c) The emotional turmoil it caused the family
(d) That he ignored her complaints
4. What are jackstones?
5. How often does Douglas spend the night with his grandparents?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Douglas offer to do to make up for the money he is short so that he will still be able to get the shoes?
2. What did Mr. Bentley compare items from the past as?
3. How does Tom feel as he and his mother approach the ravine?
4. What does Grandfather need to press with the dandelions Douglas and his brother collect?
5. What does the time machine turn out to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ruins Douglas' zest for life and desire to take in every new detail?
2. How do Tom's fears come to surround him, make him feel, and expand into his imagination?
3. Why does Douglas believe that he must get new sneakers to keep his new found sense of aliveness?
4. What revelation does Leo come to after the Happiness Machine burns?
5. What great secret does Douglas believe his father and Tom have already realized?
6. How and why is Colonel Freeleigh a real time machine, though not a mechanical contraption?
7. What brings Douglas comfort after so many things that he loves have all changed and ended at once?
8. How does Leo rationalize to a displeased Lena that the Happiness Machine is a necessity?
9. What portion of this section of the novel is the best example of the division between the elderly and the young?
10. Why does Douglas suggest that he and John spend the time alone in a haystack doing nothing?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)