|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the trolley conductor take the boys on the last day the trolley is to run?
(a) Regular stop
(d) Trolley station
2. What does Leo have a difficult time resolving the dynamics between?
(a) Man and machine
(b) Night and day
(c) Nature and Man
(d) Man and Woman
3. How are the children taken back in time?
(a) Through stories
(b) Through hypnosis
(c) Through joined belief
(d) Through pictures
4. Where do Douglas, his grandfather and brother meet Leo?
(a) At the movie house
(b) On the neighbor's porch
(c) In front of the cigar shop
(d) Next to the ravine
5. What season is it as the novel opens?
Short Answer Questions
1. What summer ritual do Douglas and Tom take part in?
2. What habit of Tom's gives Douglas an idea?
3. How does the children's disbelief make Helen feel?
4. Where does Douglas record his time traveling encounter?
5. Where does Douglas go while Grandfather takes Tom home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Tom's fears come to surround him, make him feel, and expand into his imagination?
2. Describe, in detail, the major themes focused on within this section of reading.
3. Based on Tom's habit of keeping statistics, what idea does Douglas implement himself?
4. What ritual does Douglas take comfort in that relates to the adults in his life?
5. Which brother seems more like the father and in what way do they seem to be the same?
6. Why does Douglas believe that he must get new sneakers to keep his new found sense of aliveness?
7. Why does Douglas suggest that he and John spend the time alone in a haystack doing nothing?
8. How does Leo rationalize to a displeased Lena that the Happiness Machine is a necessity?
9. What can be said that Leo has tampered with when he follows through on building the Happiness Machine?
10. What great secret does Douglas believe his father and Tom have already realized?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)