|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which category of his summer did Douglas decide remounting the porch swing with his grandfather fell into?
(a) New Discoveries
2. What do Leo and Lena argue about?
(a) Happiness Machine
(c) Replacement grass that does not need to be mowed
(d) Life in Green Town
3. What does Douglas' father speak about the wonders of?
4. Why does Mother grow anxious when Tom returns from the store?
(a) Douglas is not home yet
(b) Father is not home yet
(c) She believes she forgot to unplug the iron
(d) The Lonely One is around
5. How often does Douglas spend the night with his grandparents?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is considered Douglas and Tom's first rite of the summer?
2. How old is Mrs. Bentley?
3. What divides Green Town into two?
4. What does Douglas suggest he and Tom own together?
5. What makes Lena furious about the time Leo spent working on the Happiness Machine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can be said that Leo has tampered with when he follows through on building the Happiness Machine?
2. Which brother seems more like the father and in what way do they seem to be the same?
3. What does the Green Machine offer to Miss Fern and Miss Roberta that is suddenly taken away after the accident?
4. What portion of this section of the novel is the best example of the division between the elderly and the young?
5. What do Douglas and his father experience very differently and provide one example of how they see the same event quite differently?
6. Based on Tom's habit of keeping statistics, what idea does Douglas implement himself?
7. How does Helen Bentley attempt to prove to the children that she was indeed once a child?
8. Why does Douglas suggest that he and John spend the time alone in a haystack doing nothing?
9. Describe how Douglas feels as he completes the task for his grandfather and describe what the tasks are.
10. How did Helen overcome her exasperation at the children not being able to accept the fact that she was once young?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)