|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mother grow anxious when Tom returns from the store?
(a) Father is not home yet
(b) Douglas is not home yet
(c) She believes she forgot to unplug the iron
(d) The Lonely One is around
2. How old is Mrs. Bentley?
3. How does Douglas feel about the trolley being retired?
4. What did Douglas want his father to buy him after they went to a movie?
(a) Ice cream cone
5. Which of the following did Lena not see when she was in the Happiness Machine?
(a) Sounds of music
(b) Smell of perfume
(c) Images of Europe
(d) Life without Leo
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words means about the same thing as the word distilled as it is used in the following sentence? The distilled brew will serve the family well.
2. How is Frank related to Miss Fern and Miss Roberta?
3. What does Grandfather need to press with the dandelions Douglas and his brother collect?
4. What season is it as the novel opens?
5. What does Tom say would not belong in a Happiness Machine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Douglas believe that he must get new sneakers to keep his new found sense of aliveness?
2. What does the beating of the rugs symbolize to Douglas and Tom both?
3. Describe a typical summer night for Douglas' family.
4. What ruins Douglas' zest for life and desire to take in every new detail?
5. Describe how Douglas feels as he completes the task for his grandfather and describe what the tasks are.
6. What does the Green Machine offer to Miss Fern and Miss Roberta that is suddenly taken away after the accident?
7. What ritual does Douglas take comfort in that relates to the adults in his life?
8. How do Tom's fears come to surround him, make him feel, and expand into his imagination?
9. How does Douglas convince the shoe store owner to give him the new shoes and how does this process help the shoe store owner himself?
10. Why did the accident with Mr. Quartermain distress Miss Fern and Miss Roberta so much?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)