|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did Lena not see when she was in the Happiness Machine?
(a) Sounds of music
(b) Life without Leo
(c) Images of Europe
(d) Smell of perfume
2. What are jackstones?
3. What do Leo and Lena argue about?
(a) Replacement grass that does not need to be mowed
(c) Life in Green Town
(d) Happiness Machine
4. How is Frank related to Miss Fern and Miss Roberta?
5. What happens to Leo after he enters the kitchen and announces he finished the plans for the Happiness Machine?
(d) Storms out of the house
Short Answer Questions
1. What is considered Douglas and Tom's first rite of the summer?
2. Where do many of the women work and chat on the summer nights?
3. Where does Douglas record his time traveling encounter?
4. Who witnessed the event where the Green Machine ran over the someone?
5. Where does the trolley conductor take the boys on the last day the trolley is to run?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which brother seems more like the father and in what way do they seem to be the same?
2. In what ways was the fact that change is difficult for children reinforced in this section of the novel?
3. Describe, in detail, the major themes focused on within this section of reading.
4. How does Douglas convince the shoe store owner to give him the new shoes and how does this process help the shoe store owner himself?
5. Name two examples where Douglas tried to cling to something in order to control destiny or change.
6. How does Leo rationalize to a displeased Lena that the Happiness Machine is a necessity?
7. What is Leo having a difficult time resolving in his own mind that he discusses albeit briefly with Douglas?
8. How does Helen Bentley attempt to prove to the children that she was indeed once a child?
9. What revelation does Leo come to after the Happiness Machine burns?
10. What can be said that Leo has tampered with when he follows through on building the Happiness Machine?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)