|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bill confess to Helen?
(a) He wanted her to come over for dinner
(b) He wanted her to be his mother
(c) He once was in love with her
(d) He always disliked her
2. Which of the following adjectives best describe Douglas' reflections on his summer experiences?
3. How does Mr. Jonas do business?
(b) He does not he keeps everything for himself
4. What does Colonel Freeleigh enjoy listening to?
(a) The Spanish language
(b) His friend's Jorge's stories
(c) His wife's voice
(d) Sounds of the city
5. Which of the following descriptions best matches what the children thought the Lonely One looked like?
(a) Tall, pale with dark hair
(b) Short, dark with light hair
(c) Tall, dark skin, and light hair
(d) Chubby and red-faced
6. What does Douglas dream of when he has the fever?
(a) Green town
(b) The ravine
(c) Lonely One
(d) Great grandmother
7. What tool did Lavinia Nebbs use to kill the Lonely One?
8. Where does Douglas go to find wisdom?
9. How often do Helen and Bill begin meeting?
(a) Every afternoon
(b) Once a month
(c) Twice a week
(d) Once a week
10. Which of the following is one of Elmira's major faults?
(a) Wicked and evil
(b) Practicing witchcraft
(c) Gossipy tongue
11. How does the special brew make Elmira feel?
(a) Destroyed and angry
(b) Dizzy and nauseous
(c) Protected and invinsible
(d) Surprised and hot
12. Which of the characters below is seriously ill during this section of the novel?
(d) Colonel Freeleigh
13. How old was Helen in the photo Bill found of her in the paper?
14. What is part of the attraction that Douglas has for the wax tarot reader?
(a) No negatives
(d) Constant well wishes
15. Where do the sounds of Mexico City take Colonel Freeleigh back to?
(b) Young adulthood
(c) His marriage
(d) His retirement
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is an active, spry woman in her nineties?
2. How hot does the thermometer say the house is?
3. Where do Lavinia and Francine find the Lonely One's last victim?
4. What does Helen invite Bill to her house to do?
5. What event helps to resolve the differences between Clara and Elmira?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)