|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bill remind Helen of?
(a) Her son
(b) Her father
(c) A man she loved long ago
(d) Her second husband
2. What doesn't Grandfather want to talk about?
(a) Doom and gloom
(c) Colonel Freeleigh
(d) Dandelion wine
3. What does Aunt Rose buy for Grandma?
4. How does Douglas wonder if memories can travel?
(a) Through discussions
(b) Across memories
5. What does Mr. Black do to try and fix the wax tarot witch machine?
(a) Puts in a penny
(b) Thumps on it
(c) Opens the back with a screwdriver
(d) Unplugs it and plugs it back in
6. How does the nurse hope to prevent Colonel Freeleigh from making any more phone calls?
(a) Hides his wheelchair
(b) Unplugs the phone
(c) Gives him a sedative
(d) Has long distance calls blocked
7. Who does Douglas join for ice cream at the drugstore?
(a) Colonel Freeleigh
(b) Helen Loomis
(c) Mrs. Bentley
(d) Bill Forrester
8. What do Tom, Grandfather and Douglas do which indicates the end of summer?
(a) Take down the porch swing
(b) Get out the shovel
(c) Put the rugs back in the house
(d) Put lawn mower away
9. How will Bill know when Helen has died?
(a) He'll read about it in the paper
(b) He'll get a blue envelope
(c) He'll be visited by her ghost
(d) He'll hear the gossip
10. What does Tom represent according to Elmira as she takes him with her to the lodge?
11. Where does Douglas go to find wisdom?
12. What city does Colonel Freeleigh call?
(a) Mexico City
(d) Washington, DC
13. Which of the following characters dies in this section of the novel?
(b) Colonel Freeleigh
(c) Bill Forester
14. How long does Great-grandma tell Douglas she will be around?
(a) A thousand years
(b) A few more years
(c) A hundred years
(d) A few more days
15. How hot does the thermometer say the house is?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Douglas keep his fireflies?
2. What feelings does Douglas hope to reconcile?
3. Where does Charlie say the Lonely One grew up?
4. Which of the following characters does Great-grandma summon first?
5. In what month does Helen tell Bill she will be dead soon?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)