|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following words means about the same thing as the word distilled as it is used in the following sentence?
The distilled brew will serve the family well.
2. How does the children's disbelief make Helen feel?
3. How does Tom feel as he and his mother approach the ravine?
4. What does Mrs. Bentley feel was stolen away by the children not believing that she was once young and pretty?
(a) Her posessions
(b) Her childhood
(c) Her memories
(d) Her life
5. Where does Douglas go with his brother Tom and his Father?
(d) Junk yard
6. What happens to Leo after he enters the kitchen and announces he finished the plans for the Happiness Machine?
(c) Storms out of the house
7. What does Bill Forrester plan on doing that bothers Grandfather greatly?
(a) Replace his grass with some that does not need to be mowed
(b) Plant trees blocking Grandfather's view of the property
(c) Hire Douglas to cut his grass
(d) Move out of the town
8. What summer ritual do Douglas and Tom take part in?
(a) Beating the rugs clean
(b) Eating ice cream
(c) Mowing the lawn
(d) Going to the movies
9. Which of the following are the major themes of this section?
(a) Death and fear
(b) Perseverence and friendship
(c) Relief and happiness
(d) Life and death
10. What does Douglas offer to do to make up for the money he is short so that he will still be able to get the shoes?
(a) Cleans the store
(b) Collects dandelions
(c) Advertises with his friends about the shoes
(d) Runs errands
11. What does Douglas' father speak about the wonders of?
12. Where does Tridden tell the boys the trolley used to ride for summer picnics?
13. How much more money does Douglas need to buy the new sneakers himself?
(a) One dollar and ten cents
(b) One dollar
(c) Twenty-five cents
(d) Fifty cents
14. What does Helen Bentley purchase for a group of children?
(a) Ice cream
15. Which of the following characters is the conductor of the trolley?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters first tried the machine after Leo announced it was finished?
2. What is mother doing while Tom sits by the front door screen?
3. How many parts does Douglas decide to keep track of his summer in?
4. Why does Mother grow anxious when Tom returns from the store?
5. How does Lena feel about the idea of the Happiness Machine?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)