|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Bentley feel was stolen away by the children not believing that she was once young and pretty?
(a) Her life
(b) Her childhood
(c) Her posessions
(d) Her memories
2. What does Tom do as Douglas is contemplating his thoughts about the Thing?
(a) Runs away and calls for Douglas to chase him
(b) Knocks over his bucket full of fruit
(c) Jumps on him for a fight
(d) Steals his bucket full of fruit
3. What does the time machine turn out to be?
(a) A movie theater
(b) A cardboard box
(c) An elderly person
(d) A library
4. How does Tom feel as he and his mother approach the ravine?
5. Why does Douglas' sense of excitement become lackluster when he is with his friends?
(a) He cannot keep up with them
(b) They make fun of his shoes
(c) He likes their shoes more than his own
(d) No one tlaks to him
6. What do Leo and Lena argue about?
(a) Replacement grass that does not need to be mowed
(b) Life in Green Town
(c) Happiness Machine
7. What does Leo have a difficult time resolving the dynamics between?
(a) Nature and Man
(b) Night and day
(c) Man and machine
(d) Man and Woman
8. What does Mother send Tom to purchase?
(c) Ice cream
(d) Iced tea
9. Why does Mother grow anxious when Tom returns from the store?
(a) Douglas is not home yet
(b) She believes she forgot to unplug the iron
(c) Father is not home yet
(d) The Lonely One is around
10. What does Leo believe machines end up being used for?
(b) Destructive purposes
(d) Angry purposes
11. Why can't any of the children or towsnpeople remember a young Mrs. Bentley?
(a) She is new to town
(b) She was never young
(c) She is older than everyone else
(d) It was too long ago
12. Which of the following did Lena not see when she was in the Happiness Machine?
(a) Images of Europe
(b) Life without Leo
(c) Smell of perfume
(d) Sounds of music
13. How many days does Leo spend working on the Happiness Machine?
14. How does Douglas feel about the trolley being retired?
15. What does Leo deduce that he himself has been?
(a) At his happiest
(c) Great inventor
(d) Relieved of a huge burdeon
Short Answer Questions
1. Which category of his summer did Douglas decide remounting the porch swing with his grandfather fell into?
2. What is considered Douglas and Tom's first rite of the summer?
3. In what state does this novel take place?
4. How fast does the Green machine travel?
5. What emotion does Douglas feel once John leaves?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)