|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Leo tries the machine himself?
(a) It explodes
(b) It catches on fire
(c) It reduces him to tears
(d) It works perfectly
2. What is Tom relieved by when they return home?
(a) The sound of his father returning
(b) Mother's cooking
(c) Douglas' sweat
(d) The ice cream he purchased
3. Which of the following words means about the same thing as the word distilled as it is used in the following sentence?
The distilled brew will serve the family well.
4. How much does Grandfather pay the boys for the dandelions they collect?
(a) 10 cents per bag
(b) 5 cents per bag
(c) 1 cent per dandelion
(d) 25 cents per bag
5. What does the time machine turn out to be?
(a) A movie theater
(b) A cardboard box
(c) A library
(d) An elderly person
6. Where do the men and boys gather on many of the summer nights?
7. What do Leo and Lena argue about?
(a) Happiness Machine
(b) Replacement grass that does not need to be mowed
(d) Life in Green Town
8. Which of the following characters did the Green Machine run over?
9. How much more money does Douglas need to buy the new sneakers himself?
(a) Twenty-five cents
(b) One dollar
(c) One dollar and ten cents
(d) Fifty cents
10. What does Lena make sure is happening before she sends for the fire department?
(a) Leo is safe
(b) A hose is nearby
(c) The machine is burning well
(d) Saul and Leo are far from the machine
11. What is mother doing while Tom sits by the front door screen?
12. Where do Miss Fern and Miss Roberta hide?
13. What does Douglas suggest they should build?
(a) Grape and wine picking machine
(b) Happiness machine
(c) Cigar cutter
(d) New wine press
14. How does Lena feel about the idea of the Happiness Machine?
15. How often does Douglas spend the night with his grandparents?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters first tried the machine after Leo announced it was finished?
2. What does Leo believe the Happiness Machine will quell?
3. Where does Tridden tell the boys the trolley used to ride for summer picnics?
4. What emotion does Douglas feel once John leaves?
5. Where does Douglas go while Grandfather takes Tom home?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)