|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom say would not belong in a Happiness Machine?
(b) The lonely one
(d) Ravine at night
2. Where do many of the women work and chat on the summer nights?
3. What did Mr. Bentley compare items from the past as?
(a) Magic tricks
4. What is mother doing while Tom sits by the front door screen?
5. What summer ritual do Douglas and Tom take part in?
(a) Eating ice cream
(b) Going to the movies
(c) Mowing the lawn
(d) Beating the rugs clean
6. What does Douglas offer to do to make up for the money he is short so that he will still be able to get the shoes?
(a) Collects dandelions
(b) Cleans the store
(c) Advertises with his friends about the shoes
(d) Runs errands
7. How old is Mrs. Bentley?
8. Where do Miss Fern and Miss Roberta hide?
9. Who witnessed the event where the Green Machine ran over the someone?
(b) Colonel Freeleigh
10. Which of the following words would Douglas use to describe Green Town?
11. What does Leo believe machines end up being used for?
(c) Angry purposes
(d) Destructive purposes
12. Where does Douglas go while Grandfather takes Tom home?
(b) Movie house
(c) Friends house
(d) Leo's house
13. How old was Helen in the picture that she shows to the children?
14. What season is it as the novel opens?
15. What surprise does John have for Douglas?
(a) His father is dying
(b) He is getting married
(c) He no longer wants to be Douglas's friend
(d) He is moving
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Miss Fern and Miss Roberta hide?
2. Where does the trolley conductor take the boys on the last day the trolley is to run?
3. What does mother call the specter of death?
4. What does Douglas believe will happen if he gets new sneakers?
5. What summer first does Grandfather look forward to and relish?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)