|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Lena furious about the time Leo spent working on the Happiness Machine?
(a) That he ignored her complaints
(b) That he missed his child's special events
(c) That he wasted so many days
(d) The emotional turmoil it caused the family
2. What habit of Tom's gives Douglas an idea?
(a) Gathering dandelions
(b) Collecting rainwater
(c) Running through the meadow
(d) Keeping statistics
3. What summer ritual do Douglas and Tom take part in?
(a) Eating ice cream
(b) Mowing the lawn
(c) Going to the movies
(d) Beating the rugs clean
4. What color is associated with the trolley?
5. What emotion does Douglas feel once John leaves?
6. How often does Douglas spend the night with his grandparents?
7. What does Tom do as Douglas is contemplating his thoughts about the Thing?
(a) Runs away and calls for Douglas to chase him
(b) Knocks over his bucket full of fruit
(c) Jumps on him for a fight
(d) Steals his bucket full of fruit
8. What does Douglas suggest they should build?
(a) Happiness machine
(b) Cigar cutter
(c) New wine press
(d) Grape and wine picking machine
9. Which of the following characters believes that a sandwich outdoors tastes different from indoors?
10. Where do the men and boys gather on many of the summer nights?
11. How does Tom feel as he and his mother approach the ravine?
12. What happens to Leo after he enters the kitchen and announces he finished the plans for the Happiness Machine?
(b) Storms out of the house
13. How old is Douglas at the beginning of this novel?
14. What season is it as the novel opens?
15. Which of the following doesn't Helen show to the children?
(a) Childhood picture
(c) Wedding picture
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lena feel about the idea of the Happiness Machine?
2. How old was Helen in the picture that she shows to the children?
3. What do Charlie and John take Douglas to see?
4. Which of the following characters first tried the machine after Leo announced it was finished?
5. How does Douglas feel about the trolley being retired?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)