|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does Douglas spend the night with his grandparents?
2. What do Miss Fern and Miss Roberta do to the Green Machine?
(a) Give it to Douglas
(b) Put it in the garage
(c) Destroy it
(d) Disconnect the battery
3. What does Douglas believe will happen if he gets new sneakers?
(a) They will make him popular
(b) They will help him get more dandelions
(c) They will make him faster
(d) They will keep his senses alive
4. Where does Douglas go while Grandfather takes Tom home?
(a) Friends house
(b) Leo's house
(c) Movie house
5. How much more money does Douglas need to buy the new sneakers himself?
(a) Fifty cents
(b) One dollar and ten cents
(c) Twenty-five cents
(d) One dollar
6. What do Leo and Lena argue about?
(a) Replacement grass that does not need to be mowed
(b) Happiness Machine
(c) Life in Green Town
7. What does Tom do as Douglas is contemplating his thoughts about the Thing?
(a) Jumps on him for a fight
(b) Steals his bucket full of fruit
(c) Runs away and calls for Douglas to chase him
(d) Knocks over his bucket full of fruit
8. What does Bill Forrester plan on doing that bothers Grandfather greatly?
(a) Hire Douglas to cut his grass
(b) Replace his grass with some that does not need to be mowed
(c) Plant trees blocking Grandfather's view of the property
(d) Move out of the town
9. Which word best describes how Miss Fern and Miss Roberta feel?
10. What does Tom say would not belong in a Happiness Machine?
(b) Ravine at night
(c) The lonely one
11. How old is Douglas at the beginning of this novel?
12. What does Douglas question about his friends?
(a) How they will spend the summer
(b) Why they do not want to spend time with him
(c) Why they seem more alive
(d) When they will come to a new sense of being
13. Which of the following doesn't Helen show to the children?
(a) Childhood picture
(b) Wedding picture
14. What is going to replace the trolley?
15. Why does Douglas' sense of excitement become lackluster when he is with his friends?
(a) He likes their shoes more than his own
(b) They make fun of his shoes
(c) He cannot keep up with them
(d) No one tlaks to him
Short Answer Questions
1. What summer first does Grandfather look forward to and relish?
2. Which of the following characters first tried the machine after Leo announced it was finished?
3. Where do Miss Fern and Miss Roberta hide?
4. What does Leo have a difficult time resolving the dynamics between?
5. How old is Mrs. Bentley?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)