|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following terms is an antonym for the term jubilant?
2. What does Leo believe the Happiness Machine will quell?
(a) Demons of human existence
3. In what state does this novel take place?
4. Which category of his summer did Douglas decide remounting the porch swing with his grandfather fell into?
(b) New Discoveries
5. What rite does Douglas perform on the third day of summer?
(a) Going for a nightly stroll
(b) Remounting the porch swing
(c) Building a happiness machine
(d) Buying a cigar at the cigar shop
6. Which of the following did Lena not see when she was in the Happiness Machine?
(a) Smell of perfume
(b) Life without Leo
(c) Sounds of music
(d) Images of Europe
7. What divides Green Town into two?
(c) Railroad tracks
8. Where does Douglas go with his brother Tom and his Father?
(d) Junk yard
9. What does Mother send Tom to purchase?
(a) Ice cream
(c) Iced tea
10. What did Mr. Bentley compare items from the past as?
(b) Magic tricks
11. What does Bill Forrester plan on doing that bothers Grandfather greatly?
(a) Hire Douglas to cut his grass
(b) Plant trees blocking Grandfather's view of the property
(c) Move out of the town
(d) Replace his grass with some that does not need to be mowed
12. What does Mrs. Bentley feel was stolen away by the children not believing that she was once young and pretty?
(a) Her memories
(b) Her posessions
(c) Her childhood
(d) Her life
13. What does Douglas test John on in the hopes that John will remember Douglas for a long time?
(a) Eye color
(b) Best memory they shared
(c) Type of sneaker
(d) Favorite food
14. What does Lena make sure is happening before she sends for the fire department?
(a) The machine is burning well
(b) Leo is safe
(c) Saul and Leo are far from the machine
(d) A hose is nearby
15. Where do Miss Fern and Miss Roberta hide?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Douglas' sense of excitement become lackluster when he is with his friends?
2. What does Douglas offer to do to make up for the money he is short so that he will still be able to get the shoes?
3. Which word best describes how Miss Fern and Miss Roberta feel?
4. What emotion does Douglas feel once John leaves?
5. In what year does this novel begin?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)