|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Frank related to Miss Fern and Miss Roberta?
2. What did Mr. Bentley compare items from the past as?
(d) Magic tricks
3. What does Tom say would not belong in a Happiness Machine?
(b) The lonely one
(d) Ravine at night
4. How does the children's disbelief make Helen feel?
5. What emotion does Douglas feel once John leaves?
6. How many days does Leo spend working on the Happiness Machine?
7. What summer first does Grandfather look forward to and relish?
(a) Big family breakfasts
(b) The smell of flowers and the sounds of birds
(c) Waking to the sound of a lawn mower
(d) Making dandelion wine
8. What summer ritual do Douglas and Tom take part in?
(a) Eating ice cream
(b) Going to the movies
(c) Mowing the lawn
(d) Beating the rugs clean
9. What does Helen do with most of her possessions after deciding to live only in the present?
(a) Sells them at a sale
(b) Burns them
(c) Puts them on the porch
(d) Throws them in the trash
10. Why does Mother grow anxious when Tom returns from the store?
(a) Douglas is not home yet
(b) Father is not home yet
(c) She believes she forgot to unplug the iron
(d) The Lonely One is around
11. What does Tom do as Douglas is contemplating his thoughts about the Thing?
(a) Runs away and calls for Douglas to chase him
(b) Jumps on him for a fight
(c) Steals his bucket full of fruit
(d) Knocks over his bucket full of fruit
12. Which of the following are the major themes of this section?
(a) Death and fear
(b) Life and death
(c) Relief and happiness
(d) Perseverence and friendship
13. How many parts does Douglas decide to keep track of his summer in?
14. What does Douglas find contentment in on Grandfather's porch?
(a) Brother's love
(b) Sounds of the crickets
(c) Adults' presence and chatter
(d) Catching lightning bugs
15. What is Tom relieved by when they return home?
(a) Douglas' sweat
(b) The sound of his father returning
(c) The ice cream he purchased
(d) Mother's cooking
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Douglas at the beginning of this novel?
2. What color is associated with the trolley?
3. Which of the following characters is the conductor of the trolley?
4. Where do Miss Fern and Miss Roberta hide?
5. What happens when Leo tries the machine himself?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)