|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many parts does Douglas decide to keep track of his summer in?
2. Which of the following did Lena not see when she was in the Happiness Machine?
(a) Sounds of music
(b) Life without Leo
(c) Images of Europe
(d) Smell of perfume
3. What did Mr. Bentley compare items from the past as?
(d) Magic tricks
4. In what state does this novel take place?
5. What did Douglas want his father to buy him after they went to a movie?
(b) Ice cream cone
6. How often does Douglas spend the night with his grandparents?
7. What does Douglas suggest they should build?
(a) Grape and wine picking machine
(b) New wine press
(c) Happiness machine
(d) Cigar cutter
8. What does Helen do with most of her possessions after deciding to live only in the present?
(a) Burns them
(b) Throws them in the trash
(c) Puts them on the porch
(d) Sells them at a sale
9. What does Tom say would not belong in a Happiness Machine?
(c) The lonely one
(d) Ravine at night
10. What happens to Leo after he enters the kitchen and announces he finished the plans for the Happiness Machine?
(d) Storms out of the house
11. What does Tom do as Douglas is contemplating his thoughts about the Thing?
(a) Knocks over his bucket full of fruit
(b) Jumps on him for a fight
(c) Steals his bucket full of fruit
(d) Runs away and calls for Douglas to chase him
12. What summer ritual do Douglas and Tom take part in?
(a) Eating ice cream
(b) Going to the movies
(c) Beating the rugs clean
(d) Mowing the lawn
13. How much does Grandfather pay the boys for the dandelions they collect?
(a) 5 cents per bag
(b) 10 cents per bag
(c) 1 cent per dandelion
(d) 25 cents per bag
14. Where is Father after Tom returns home with Grandfather?
(a) In bed
(b) Lodge meeting
(c) Sitting on the porch
(d) Looking for Douglas
15. Which of the following words means about the same thing as the word distilled as it is used in the following sentence?
The distilled brew will serve the family well.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leo believe machines end up being used for?
2. What does Douglas question about his friends?
3. What does mother call the specter of death?
4. Where do Miss Fern and Miss Roberta hide?
5. What does Douglas use to begin to appreciate his surroundings?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)