|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Helen in the picture that she shows to the children?
2. Where do the men and boys gather on many of the summer nights?
3. In what state does this novel take place?
4. How does Douglas feel about the trolley being retired?
5. How much does Grandfather pay the boys for the dandelions they collect?
(a) 25 cents per bag
(b) 5 cents per bag
(c) 1 cent per dandelion
(d) 10 cents per bag
6. What does Douglas question about his friends?
(a) When they will come to a new sense of being
(b) How they will spend the summer
(c) Why they do not want to spend time with him
(d) Why they seem more alive
7. What does Douglas use to begin to appreciate his surroundings?
(a) Tom's adventure
(c) Father's words
(d) Flavors of mint and pinesap
8. What is the dandelion wine used for during the winter?
(a) Christmas presents
(b) To trade for other supplies
(c) Cure for the winter blues
9. In what year does this novel begin?
10. Where does Douglas go with his brother Tom and his Father?
(a) Junk yard
11. What does Douglas like to think of John as?
12. What does Helen Bentley purchase for a group of children?
(b) Ice cream
13. How does Lena feel about the idea of the Happiness Machine?
14. Which of the following are the major themes of this section?
(a) Perseverence and friendship
(b) Death and fear
(c) Relief and happiness
(d) Life and death
15. Why can't any of the children or towsnpeople remember a young Mrs. Bentley?
(a) She is older than everyone else
(b) She is new to town
(c) She was never young
(d) It was too long ago
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tom relieved by when they return home?
2. Where does the trolley conductor take the boys on the last day the trolley is to run?
3. What does the Happiness Machine actually result in?
4. What does Douglas suggest he and Tom own together?
5. What does Leo deduce that he himself has been?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)