|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Lena furious about the time Leo spent working on the Happiness Machine?
(a) That he wasted so many days
(b) That he ignored her complaints
(c) That he missed his child's special events
(d) The emotional turmoil it caused the family
2. What is considered Douglas and Tom's first rite of the summer?
(a) Picking fox grapes
(b) Eating wild strawberries
(c) Collecting dandelions
(d) Going on a picnic in the forest
3. Who does Douglas go hiking with?
4. How does Lena feel about the idea of the Happiness Machine?
5. How are the children taken back in time?
(a) Through stories
(b) Through joined belief
(c) Through hypnosis
(d) Through pictures
6. How much does Grandfather pay the boys for the dandelions they collect?
(a) 25 cents per bag
(b) 1 cent per dandelion
(c) 5 cents per bag
(d) 10 cents per bag
7. What does Lena make sure is happening before she sends for the fire department?
(a) Leo is safe
(b) Saul and Leo are far from the machine
(c) A hose is nearby
(d) The machine is burning well
8. How old is Douglas at the beginning of this novel?
9. What does the time machine turn out to be?
(a) A library
(b) A cardboard box
(c) An elderly person
(d) A movie theater
10. Where do Douglas, his grandfather and brother meet Leo?
(a) In front of the cigar shop
(b) At the movie house
(c) On the neighbor's porch
(d) Next to the ravine
11. Why can't any of the children or towsnpeople remember a young Mrs. Bentley?
(a) It was too long ago
(b) She is older than everyone else
(c) She was never young
(d) She is new to town
12. What do Leo and Lena argue about?
(a) Life in Green Town
(c) Happiness Machine
(d) Replacement grass that does not need to be mowed
13. What does Douglas question about his friends?
(a) Why they seem more alive
(b) When they will come to a new sense of being
(c) How they will spend the summer
(d) Why they do not want to spend time with him
14. What does Bill Forrester plan on doing that bothers Grandfather greatly?
(a) Replace his grass with some that does not need to be mowed
(b) Move out of the town
(c) Plant trees blocking Grandfather's view of the property
(d) Hire Douglas to cut his grass
15. What does Leo have a difficult time resolving the dynamics between?
(a) Nature and Man
(b) Man and machine
(c) Man and Woman
(d) Night and day
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tom relieved by when they return home?
2. What season is it as the novel opens?
3. What does Douglas suggest he and Tom own together?
4. How often does Douglas spend the night with his grandparents?
5. Which category of his summer did Douglas decide remounting the porch swing with his grandfather fell into?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)