|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters is the conductor of the trolley?
2. What makes Lena furious about the time Leo spent working on the Happiness Machine?
(a) That he ignored her complaints
(b) That he wasted so many days
(c) That he missed his child's special events
(d) The emotional turmoil it caused the family
3. What does Douglas suggest he and Tom own together?
(a) Gold mine
(b) Ice cream shop
(c) Green Machine
(d) Happiness Machine
4. What summer first does Grandfather look forward to and relish?
(a) Big family breakfasts
(b) Waking to the sound of a lawn mower
(c) Making dandelion wine
(d) The smell of flowers and the sounds of birds
5. What happens to Leo after he enters the kitchen and announces he finished the plans for the Happiness Machine?
(b) Storms out of the house
6. Where is Father after Tom returns home with Grandfather?
(a) Lodge meeting
(b) Looking for Douglas
(c) Sitting on the porch
(d) In bed
7. What does Bill Forrester plan on doing that bothers Grandfather greatly?
(a) Replace his grass with some that does not need to be mowed
(b) Plant trees blocking Grandfather's view of the property
(c) Move out of the town
(d) Hire Douglas to cut his grass
8. Which of the following words means about the same thing as the word distilled as it is used in the following sentence?
The distilled brew will serve the family well.
9. Which of the following characters believes that a sandwich outdoors tastes different from indoors?
10. What does Douglas use to begin to appreciate his surroundings?
(a) Tom's adventure
(b) Father's words
(d) Flavors of mint and pinesap
11. What does Mother send Tom to purchase?
(a) Ice cream
(b) Iced tea
12. Where does Douglas record his time traveling encounter?
(b) No where
13. What habit of Tom's gives Douglas an idea?
(a) Running through the meadow
(b) Collecting rainwater
(c) Gathering dandelions
(d) Keeping statistics
14. What is mother doing while Tom sits by the front door screen?
15. How does Tom feel as he and his mother approach the ravine?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tridden tell the boys the trolley used to ride for summer picnics?
2. What do Leo and Lena argue about?
3. Which of the following characters did the Green Machine run over?
4. Where does the trolley conductor take the boys on the last day the trolley is to run?
5. Which of the following doesn't Helen show to the children?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)