|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lena make sure is happening before she sends for the fire department?
(a) Leo is safe
(b) The machine is burning well
(c) A hose is nearby
(d) Saul and Leo are far from the machine
2. What does mother call the specter of death?
(b) Grim Reaper
(c) Lonely One
3. How often does Douglas spend the night with his grandparents?
4. Which of the following characters believes that a sandwich outdoors tastes different from indoors?
5. Where does Douglas go while Grandfather takes Tom home?
(b) Leo's house
(c) Movie house
(d) Friends house
6. Which of the following characters is the conductor of the trolley?
7. Which of the following are the major themes of this section?
(a) Relief and happiness
(b) Perseverence and friendship
(c) Life and death
(d) Death and fear
8. What does Mrs. Bentley feel was stolen away by the children not believing that she was once young and pretty?
(a) Her childhood
(b) Her memories
(c) Her posessions
(d) Her life
9. Which of the following is not something Leo Auffmann is known for?
(a) Movie projectionist
(c) Cigar shop owner
10. Who does Douglas go hiking with?
11. What is going to replace the trolley?
12. What happens when Leo tries the machine himself?
(a) It works perfectly
(b) It explodes
(c) It reduces him to tears
(d) It catches on fire
13. What makes Lena furious about the time Leo spent working on the Happiness Machine?
(a) That he ignored her complaints
(b) That he missed his child's special events
(c) The emotional turmoil it caused the family
(d) That he wasted so many days
14. Where does Tridden tell the boys the trolley used to ride for summer picnics?
15. What color is associated with the trolley?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Douglas find contentment in on Grandfather's porch?
2. What does Tom do as Douglas is contemplating his thoughts about the Thing?
3. Which category of his summer did Douglas decide remounting the porch swing with his grandfather fell into?
4. Where do many of the women work and chat on the summer nights?
5. In what state does this novel take place?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)