|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Frank related to Miss Fern and Miss Roberta?
2. What does the time machine turn out to be?
(a) A movie theater
(b) An elderly person
(c) A library
(d) A cardboard box
3. What does mother call the specter of death?
(a) Grim Reaper
(b) Lonely One
4. What does Douglas suggest they should build?
(a) Cigar cutter
(b) New wine press
(c) Happiness machine
(d) Grape and wine picking machine
5. Which of the following characters is the conductor of the trolley?
6. What makes Lena furious about the time Leo spent working on the Happiness Machine?
(a) That he wasted so many days
(b) That he ignored her complaints
(c) The emotional turmoil it caused the family
(d) That he missed his child's special events
7. In what state does this novel take place?
8. What does Grandfather need to press with the dandelions Douglas and his brother collect?
(a) Wild strawberries
(b) Mint leaves
(c) Fresh rainwater
(d) Fox grapes
9. Which of the following characters first tried the machine after Leo announced it was finished?
10. What does Douglas like to think of John as?
11. What does Tom do as Douglas is contemplating his thoughts about the Thing?
(a) Steals his bucket full of fruit
(b) Runs away and calls for Douglas to chase him
(c) Knocks over his bucket full of fruit
(d) Jumps on him for a fight
12. What does Douglas find contentment in on Grandfather's porch?
(a) Catching lightning bugs
(b) Adults' presence and chatter
(c) Brother's love
(d) Sounds of the crickets
13. Who witnessed the event where the Green Machine ran over the someone?
(a) Colonel Freeleigh
14. How much does Grandfather pay the boys for the dandelions they collect?
(a) 5 cents per bag
(b) 10 cents per bag
(c) 1 cent per dandelion
(d) 25 cents per bag
15. Why can't any of the children or towsnpeople remember a young Mrs. Bentley?
(a) She is new to town
(b) She is older than everyone else
(c) It was too long ago
(d) She was never young
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Leo after he enters the kitchen and announces he finished the plans for the Happiness Machine?
2. Why does Douglas' sense of excitement become lackluster when he is with his friends?
3. What does Lena make sure is happening before she sends for the fire department?
4. How does Tom feel as he and his mother approach the ravine?
5. What does Leo believe machines end up being used for?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)