|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the time machine turn out to be?
(a) An elderly person
(b) A library
(c) A cardboard box
(d) A movie theater
2. How does Douglas feel about the trolley being retired?
3. Which word best describes how Miss Fern and Miss Roberta feel?
4. How many parts does Douglas decide to keep track of his summer in?
5. Which of the following words means about the same thing as the word distilled as it is used in the following sentence?
The distilled brew will serve the family well.
6. What does Douglas offer to do to make up for the money he is short so that he will still be able to get the shoes?
(a) Cleans the store
(b) Collects dandelions
(c) Advertises with his friends about the shoes
(d) Runs errands
7. Where do Douglas, his grandfather and brother meet Leo?
(a) Next to the ravine
(b) In front of the cigar shop
(c) On the neighbor's porch
(d) At the movie house
8. How old was Helen in the picture that she shows to the children?
9. What divides Green Town into two?
(b) Railroad tracks
10. How often does Douglas spend the night with his grandparents?
11. What does Mother send Tom to purchase?
(a) Ice cream
(d) Iced tea
12. What do Leo and Lena argue about?
(a) Replacement grass that does not need to be mowed
(b) Life in Green Town
(c) Happiness Machine
13. What does the Happiness Machine actually result in?
14. What does Douglas' father speak about the wonders of?
15. In what state does this novel take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following are the major themes of this section?
2. What does Douglas use to begin to appreciate his surroundings?
3. What does mother call the specter of death?
4. How old is Mrs. Bentley?
5. Which of the following characters first tried the machine after Leo announced it was finished?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)