Short Essay Questions
1. What is the overall tone of the opening of this novel and why do you believe that is the case?
2. What do Douglas and his father experience very differently and provide one example of how they see the same event quite differently?
3. Which brother seems more like the father and in what way do they seem to be the same?
4. What great secret does Douglas believe his father and Tom have already realized?
5. Describe how Douglas feels as he completes the task for his grandfather and describe what the tasks are.
6. What ruins Douglas' zest for life and desire to take in every new detail?
7. Why does Douglas believe that he must get new sneakers to keep his new found sense of aliveness?
8. How does Douglas convince the shoe store owner to give him the new shoes and how does this process help the shoe store owner himself?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)