|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the other Michael Evans live?
2. What bad news does Chris have from Vera McLaughlin?
3. Why does Rose say she has to leave the berry picking early?
4. Why does Kate object to Gerry Evans going to Spain?
5. What do Agnes and Rose tell the family not to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significance can we attach to Uncle Jack's declaration that he is cold all the time?
2. Who does Maggie forget to count when she is calculating people they must feed for dinner?
3. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his relationship to Okawa when he speaks about his time in Uganda?
4. How does Uncle Jack reveal that the Ryangans have not been converted to Christianity by his efforts?
5. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Kate asks if the people gather together for Mass?
6. What is it that Kate asks Uncle Jack to promise?
7. Why does Gerry Evans decide to go to war in a foreign country?
8. Maggie asks Michael a riddle about the apples on a tree. What might those apples symbolize?
9. How does Rose describe her encounter with Danny Bradley?
10. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Maggie asks if the people there gathered in his church for ceremonies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The boy Michael compares his parents' silent dancing together to a ritual ceremony like a wedding, and says that after Gerry Evans leaves, his mother grieves as a bride would grieve. Compare and contrast the relationship between Gerry Evans and Chris with a real marriage.
Essay Topic 2
Ceremonies are important in this story. Select two of the ceremonies that are described or enacted to compare and contrast. Possibilities might be the silent dance "wedding" of Chris and Gerry Evans, the exchange of hats between Uncle Jack and Gerry Evans, the wild Irish dancing of the five sisters, the Ryangan ceremonies to celebrate the harvest, or the festival of Lughnasa itself.
Essay Topic 3
At different times in the play, every character dances except for Michael. Select two of the characters and analyze the dance of each. What does their dance mean? What does the dance tell the audience about the character? If you select Michael as one of the characters, explain why you think he is the only one who does not dance.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)