|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bad news does Chris have from Vera McLaughlin?
2. How many children does Gerry Evans have besides Michael?
3. What skill does Gerry Evans have that the army wanted?
4. When does Chris say Michael always vanishes?
5. How does Chris earn her living after Uncle Jack dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Rose bring her family about the boy who was burned during the Lughnasa fires?
2. What significance can we attach to Uncle Jack's declaration that he is cold all the time?
3. When Uncle Jack hears wedding bells, he asks if it is one of his sisters who is getting married. Who is actually marrying?
4. Why might Agnes have believed Rose could not get work in the factory?
5. The recruiter tells Gerry Evans that he is invaluable to the brigade because he is a master at disguising himself. How does this revelation relate to the false impression he has given to Gerry Evans?
6. How does Uncle Jack reveal that the Ryangans have not been converted to Christianity by his efforts?
7. How is the Ryangan harvest festival described by Uncle Jack similar to the festival of Lughansa?
8. How did Michael behave as his father, Gerry Evans, had done?
9. Maggie asks Michael a riddle about the apples on a tree. What might those apples symbolize?
10. Why did Kate believe Agnes could not work in a factory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rose is described as "simple," yet she is the one who informs the family about goings-on in the village and in the world around them. How do you imagine that she gets this information, and what does it tell you about her and the way the family views her? Use examples from the play to explore Rose's character. Do her sisters understand her? Does she understand them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Uncle Jack's uniform is an important symbol in this story. Analyze the appearance of his uniform in the mind's eye of young Michael and the rest of his family, and the appearance of his uniform at the end. What does the change represent? How has the family's view of Uncle Jack changed after he has been home for a few weeks?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Uncle Jack has paid a heavy cost in both body and mind to serve the lepers in Ryanga. He has also learned different ways of looking at the world than he had when he left Ireland. Do you see his character as a failure? Why or why not?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)