|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase comforts Kate when she thinks of Uncle Jack's pagan worship?
2. What does Gerry Evans promise Michael during each annual visit?
3. Who does Rose share her picnic with?
4. What household task does Maggie take from Agnes during Lughnasa?
5. What does Kate say the radio has done to the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his relationship to Okawa when he speaks about his time in Uganda?
2. What does it tell you about Gerry Evans that he says he will check the ignition and sparking plugs of the radio?
3. How did Michael behave as his father, Gerry Evans, had done?
4. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Kate asks if the people gather together for Mass?
5. What has Rose forgotten when she comes home from her meeting with Danny Bradley?
6. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Maggie asks if the people there gathered in his church for ceremonies?
7. What significance can we attach to Uncle Jack's declaration that he is cold all the time?
8. How is the Ryangan harvest festival described by Uncle Jack similar to the festival of Lughansa?
9. How does Uncle Jack reveal that the Ryangans have not been converted to Christianity by his efforts?
10. How does Rose trick Agnes and get away from her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ceremonies are important in this story. Select two of the ceremonies that are described or enacted to compare and contrast. Possibilities might be the silent dance "wedding" of Chris and Gerry Evans, the exchange of hats between Uncle Jack and Gerry Evans, the wild Irish dancing of the five sisters, the Ryangan ceremonies to celebrate the harvest, or the festival of Lughnasa itself.
Essay Topic 2
What do you make of the fact that Michael is often not to be found when the other characters call for him? Cite the passages where they discuss his disappearance when he is needed. Is this a foreshadowing device? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Ryangan idea of marriage with what Kate calls the "holy sacrament of matrimony." Judging from the main characters and their romantic relationships, make a statement comparing the costs and benefits of both kinds of marriage. Cite quotations from the play to support your thesis.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)