|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kate think Agnes and Rose did not apply to work in the knitting factory?
2. What does Gerry Evans have that Chris and Rose doesn't know about?
3. What does Chris think is wrong with the radio?
4. What does Gerry Evans trade with Uncle Jack?
5. What happened to Rose's pet rooster?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Michael behave as his father, Gerry Evans, had done?
2. Where did Gerry Evans sign up for military service, and why is that location significant?
3. Which of the sisters understands the politics of the Spanish Civil War?
4. What news does Rose bring her family about the boy who was burned during the Lughnasa fires?
5. How does the Industrial Revolution affect the lives of the Mundy sisters?
6. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Kate asks if the people gather together for Mass?
7. Why did Kate believe Agnes could not work in a factory?
8. How does Maggie make a joke of the small amount of food they have?
9. There are important facts about the Spanish Civil War that Gerry Evans does not understand. One is that the Popular Front represents a Fascist, rather than a Republican, government. The other is that the Popular Front is anti-Catholic. How is this ignorance on his part ironic?
10. How does Rose describe her encounter with Danny Bradley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What irony do you see in the fact that Kate eventually finds work as a tutor for Austin Morgan's young family? Explain whether this is an example of situational or dramatic irony and why you think so (or do not think so).
Essay Topic 2
Maggie asks riddles of young Michael, and he never offers any possible answers, even when she chides him for being stupid. In the end, she herself has forgotten the answer to the riddle she poses. Analyze the playwright's use of riddles in this way. What do you think he is trying to say about Maggie? About Michael? About life?
Essay Topic 3
The boy Michael compares his parents' silent dancing together to a ritual ceremony like a wedding, and says that after Gerry Evans leaves, his mother grieves as a bride would grieve. Compare and contrast the relationship between Gerry Evans and Chris with a real marriage.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)