|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the sisters would care that Austin Morgan is getting married?
2. What does Gerry Evans have that Chris and Rose doesn't know about?
3. Who does Uncle Jack worship during Mass in Uganda?
4. What skill does Gerry Evans have that the army wanted?
5. How does Chris feel about her job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Maggie asks Michael a riddle about the apples on a tree. What might those apples symbolize?
2. How does Rose trick Agnes and get away from her?
3. How does Maggie make a joke of the small amount of food they have?
4. How did Michael behave as his father, Gerry Evans, had done?
5. How does Uncle Jack reveal that the Ryangans have not been converted to Christianity by his efforts?
6. What phrase did Kate hit upon that comforted her as she tried to understand Uncle Jack's changed attitude toward life since his stay in Ryanda?
7. What does it tell you about Gerry Evans that he says he will check the ignition and sparking plugs of the radio?
8. There are important facts about the Spanish Civil War that Gerry Evans does not understand. One is that the Popular Front represents a Fascist, rather than a Republican, government. The other is that the Popular Front is anti-Catholic. How is this ignorance on his part ironic?
9. How does the Industrial Revolution affect the lives of the Mundy sisters?
10. How is the Ryangan harvest festival described by Uncle Jack similar to the festival of Lughansa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At different times in the play, every character dances except for Michael. Select two of the characters and analyze the dance of each. What does their dance mean? What does the dance tell the audience about the character? If you select Michael as one of the characters, explain why you think he is the only one who does not dance.
Essay Topic 2
What irony do you see in the fact that Kate eventually finds work as a tutor for Austin Morgan's young family? Explain whether this is an example of situational or dramatic irony and why you think so (or do not think so).
Essay Topic 3
The fox is an important metaphor in this play. If the family of women is the hen house, who is the fox? How many of the women have had unsuccessful relationships with men? List and explain each and develop your own thesis for why each situation ended unhappily.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)