|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the recruiter of which Gerry Evans learns as he writes his name?
2. What does Maggie forget at the end of the play?
3. Which of the sisters would care that Austin Morgan is getting married?
4. When does Uncle Jack return to celebrating Mass?
5. What does Uncle Jack think is good about the multiple-wife system?
Essay Topic 1
The fox is an important metaphor in this play. If the family of women is the hen house, who is the fox? How many of the women have had unsuccessful relationships with men? List and explain each and develop your own thesis for why each situation ended unhappily.
Essay Topic 2
Ceremonies are important in this story. Select two of the ceremonies that are described or enacted to compare and contrast. Possibilities might be the silent dance "wedding" of Chris and Gerry Evans, the exchange of hats between Uncle Jack and Gerry Evans, the wild Irish dancing of the five sisters, the Ryangan ceremonies to celebrate the harvest, or the festival of Lughnasa itself.
Essay Topic 3
Uncle Jack's uniform is an important symbol in this story. Analyze the appearance of his uniform in the mind's eye of young Michael and the rest of his family, and the appearance of his uniform at the end. What does the change represent? How has the family's view of Uncle Jack changed after he has been home for a few weeks?
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)