|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael say language surrenders to in music?
2. Why does Gerry Evans say he is going to Spain?
3. When does Uncle Jack die?
4. What does Maggie forget at the end of the play?
5. When does Uncle Jack return to celebrating Mass?
Short Essay Questions
1. What phrase did Kate hit upon that comforted her as she tried to understand Uncle Jack's changed attitude toward life since his stay in Ryanda?
2. Where did Gerry Evans sign up for military service, and why is that location significant?
3. When Uncle Jack hears wedding bells, he asks if it is one of his sisters who is getting married. Who is actually marrying?
4. Why does Gerry Evans decide to go to war in a foreign country?
5. What has changed about Rose's appearance when she comes home from her meeting with Danny Bradley?
6. What significance do you make of the fact that the recruiter who enlists Gerry Evans in the war effort is, unnoticed by Gerry Evans until after he is writing his name, a midget?
7. What do you make of the kites as a symbol or metaphor, and of the fact that they wouldn't fly?
8. How does Rose trick Agnes and get away from her?
9. Who does Maggie forget to count when she is calculating people they must feed for dinner?
10. How does Uncle Jack reveal that the Ryangans have not been converted to Christianity by his efforts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Rose is lost, the hierarchy within the group of sisters changes. Who is usually in charge and who takes over during the emergency? Using quotations from the play, explain this dynamic and tell why you think the change took place.
Essay Topic 2
What do you make of the fact that Michael is often not to be found when the other characters call for him? Cite the passages where they discuss his disappearance when he is needed. Is this a foreshadowing device? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Ryangan idea of marriage with what Kate calls the "holy sacrament of matrimony." Judging from the main characters and their romantic relationships, make a statement comparing the costs and benefits of both kinds of marriage. Cite quotations from the play to support your thesis.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)