|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kate object to Gerry Evans going to Spain?
2. Why does Kate think Agnes and Rose did not apply to work in the knitting factory?
3. How many people are at the house for dinner in Act 2?
4. What does Gerry Evans promise Michael during each annual visit?
5. What phrase comforts Kate when she thinks of Uncle Jack's pagan worship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Industrial Revolution affect the lives of the Mundy sisters?
2. Why might Agnes have believed Rose could not get work in the factory?
3. What has Rose forgotten when she comes home from her meeting with Danny Bradley?
4. How does Uncle Jack reveal that the Ryangans have not been converted to Christianity by his efforts?
5. When Uncle Jack hears wedding bells, he asks if it is one of his sisters who is getting married. Who is actually marrying?
6. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Kate asks if the people gather together for Mass?
7. What significance do you make of the fact that the recruiter who enlists Gerry Evans in the war effort is, unnoticed by Gerry Evans until after he is writing his name, a midget?
8. How does Maggie make a joke of the small amount of food they have?
9. How did Michael behave as his father, Gerry Evans, had done?
10. Maggie asks Michael a riddle about the apples on a tree. What might those apples symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ceremonies are important in this story. Select two of the ceremonies that are described or enacted to compare and contrast. Possibilities might be the silent dance "wedding" of Chris and Gerry Evans, the exchange of hats between Uncle Jack and Gerry Evans, the wild Irish dancing of the five sisters, the Ryangan ceremonies to celebrate the harvest, or the festival of Lughnasa itself.
Essay Topic 2
The fox is an important metaphor in this play. If the family of women is the hen house, who is the fox? How many of the women have had unsuccessful relationships with men? List and explain each and develop your own thesis for why each situation ended unhappily.
Essay Topic 3
What do you make of the fact that Michael is often not to be found when the other characters call for him? Cite the passages where they discuss his disappearance when he is needed. Is this a foreshadowing device? Explain.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)