|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work do Rose and Agnes do after they leave Ballybeg?
2. Why is Gerry Evans in the tree in Act 2?
3. Where does Gerry Evans hide when Agnes comes back from picking blackberries?
4. What does Gerry Evans seem to be able to do that no one else in the family can?
5. What role does Gerry Evans love to play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Maggie forget to count when she is calculating people they must feed for dinner?
2. How does Uncle Jack reveal that the Ryangans have not been converted to Christianity by his efforts?
3. Which of the sisters understands the politics of the Spanish Civil War?
4. Why does Gerry Evans decide to go to war in a foreign country?
5. What has Rose forgotten when she comes home from her meeting with Danny Bradley?
6. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Kate asks if the people gather together for Mass?
7. What significance do you make of the fact that the recruiter who enlists Gerry Evans in the war effort is, unnoticed by Gerry Evans until after he is writing his name, a midget?
8. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his relationship to Okawa when he speaks about his time in Uganda?
9. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Maggie asks if the people there gathered in his church for ceremonies?
10. What phrase did Kate hit upon that comforted her as she tried to understand Uncle Jack's changed attitude toward life since his stay in Ryanda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At different times in the play, every character dances except for Michael. Select two of the characters and analyze the dance of each. What does their dance mean? What does the dance tell the audience about the character? If you select Michael as one of the characters, explain why you think he is the only one who does not dance.
Essay Topic 2
When Rose is lost, the hierarchy within the group of sisters changes. Who is usually in charge and who takes over during the emergency? Using quotations from the play, explain this dynamic and tell why you think the change took place.
Essay Topic 3
Gerry Evans' character is in many ways an act. He pretends to be a salesman, but can't sell. He pretends to be fighting for a noble cause in Spain, but doesn't know for sure what that cause is. In Michael's last glimpse of him, he is imitating Fred Astaire. After his father's war injury, Michael tells us that Gerry Evans cherished the "role" of wounded war veteran. Analyze Gerry Evans' role as almost a husband, and almost a father. Do you see him as evil and harmful? Do you see him as helpless and hopeless? Is there a tragic flaw in his character - or several? If so, what are they?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)