|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Michael get a letter from another Michael Evans?
2. What does Michael say language surrenders to in music?
3. What is unusual about the recruiter of which Gerry Evans learns as he writes his name?
4. What does Uncle Jack think is good about the multiple-wife system?
5. What household task does Maggie take from Agnes during Lughnasa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rose describe her encounter with Danny Bradley?
2. What significance do you make of the fact that the recruiter who enlists Gerry Evans in the war effort is, unnoticed by Gerry Evans until after he is writing his name, a midget?
3. Why did Kate believe Agnes could not work in a factory?
4. What phrase did Kate hit upon that comforted her as she tried to understand Uncle Jack's changed attitude toward life since his stay in Ryanda?
5. What news does Rose bring her family about the boy who was burned during the Lughnasa fires?
6. What has Rose forgotten when she comes home from her meeting with Danny Bradley?
7. How does Maggie make a joke of the small amount of food they have?
8. What significance can we attach to Uncle Jack's declaration that he is cold all the time?
9. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his relationship to Okawa when he speaks about his time in Uganda?
10. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Kate asks if the people gather together for Mass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Uncle Jack's uniform is an important symbol in this story. Analyze the appearance of his uniform in the mind's eye of young Michael and the rest of his family, and the appearance of his uniform at the end. What does the change represent? How has the family's view of Uncle Jack changed after he has been home for a few weeks?
Essay Topic 2
What difference does the fate of the Sweeney boy, who was burned in the festival of Lughnasa, make to the story? Cite what was believed to have happened and what actually happened. Why do you think this detail is included in the play? Is the boy a metaphor? If so, what does he represent?
Essay Topic 3
When Rose is lost, the hierarchy within the group of sisters changes. Who is usually in charge and who takes over during the emergency? Using quotations from the play, explain this dynamic and tell why you think the change took place.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)