|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Chris say Michael always vanishes?
2. What does Maggie forget at the end of the play?
3. What does Kate say the radio has done to the country?
4. Which sister is dead when Michael finds them?
5. Why is Gerry Evans in the tree in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his relationship to Okawa when he speaks about his time in Uganda?
2. What news does Rose bring her family about the boy who was burned during the Lughnasa fires?
3. Which of the sisters understands the politics of the Spanish Civil War?
4. What is it that Kate asks Uncle Jack to promise?
5. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Kate asks if the people gather together for Mass?
6. Where did Gerry Evans sign up for military service, and why is that location significant?
7. There are important facts about the Spanish Civil War that Gerry Evans does not understand. One is that the Popular Front represents a Fascist, rather than a Republican, government. The other is that the Popular Front is anti-Catholic. How is this ignorance on his part ironic?
8. Maggie asks Michael a riddle about the apples on a tree. What might those apples symbolize?
9. When Uncle Jack hears wedding bells, he asks if it is one of his sisters who is getting married. Who is actually marrying?
10. How does Maggie make a joke of the small amount of food they have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maggie asks riddles of young Michael, and he never offers any possible answers, even when she chides him for being stupid. In the end, she herself has forgotten the answer to the riddle she poses. Analyze the playwright's use of riddles in this way. What do you think he is trying to say about Maggie? About Michael? About life?
Essay Topic 2
What difference does the fate of the Sweeney boy, who was burned in the festival of Lughnasa, make to the story? Cite what was believed to have happened and what actually happened. Why do you think this detail is included in the play? Is the boy a metaphor? If so, what does he represent?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Uncle Jack has paid a heavy cost in both body and mind to serve the lepers in Ryanga. He has also learned different ways of looking at the world than he had when he left Ireland. Do you see his character as a failure? Why or why not?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)