|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerry Evans say they need to check if the aerial is all right but the radio still won't work?
2. Why does Michael think Agnes and Rose did not apply to work in the knitting factory?
3. What language does the recruiter for the Spanish army speak?
4. How many people are at the house for dinner in Act 2?
5. What does Gerry Evans trade with Uncle Jack?
Essay Topic 1
Dancing is a central metaphor in this play, and Michael ends the play with a monologue about what dance meant to him. Compare and contrast the effects of dance on him as a boy, when he is frightened by the wild, strange behavior of his family members as they dance, with his reflections on dance at the end of the play.
Essay Topic 2
The playwright, Brian Friel, uses the character Michael to tell the audience the eventual fate of the characters before the play itself is finished. How did knowing where the characters' actions would lead them affect you as a reader? Did you find it an effective dramatic device?
Essay Topic 3
At different times in the play, every character dances except for Michael. Select two of the characters and analyze the dance of each. What does their dance mean? What does the dance tell the audience about the character? If you select Michael as one of the characters, explain why you think he is the only one who does not dance.
This section contains 1,312 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)