|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rose laugh at Agnes while they are picking berries?
2. How long does it take Michael to find Agnes and Rose?
3. Which of the sisters takes over to organize the search for Rose?
4. Who does Rose share her picnic with?
5. What phrase comforts Kate when she thinks of Uncle Jack's pagan worship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it tell you about Gerry Evans that he says he will check the ignition and sparking plugs of the radio?
2. The recruiter tells Gerry Evans that he is invaluable to the brigade because he is a master at disguising himself. How does this revelation relate to the false impression he has given to Gerry Evans?
3. How does Rose describe her encounter with Danny Bradley?
4. Which of the sisters understands the politics of the Spanish Civil War?
5. There are important facts about the Spanish Civil War that Gerry Evans does not understand. One is that the Popular Front represents a Fascist, rather than a Republican, government. The other is that the Popular Front is anti-Catholic. How is this ignorance on his part ironic?
6. How is the Ryangan harvest festival described by Uncle Jack similar to the festival of Lughansa?
7. Where did Gerry Evans sign up for military service, and why is that location significant?
8. What news does Rose bring her family about the boy who was burned during the Lughnasa fires?
9. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Kate asks if the people gather together for Mass?
10. Maggie asks Michael a riddle about the apples on a tree. What might those apples symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At different times in the play, every character dances except for Michael. Select two of the characters and analyze the dance of each. What does their dance mean? What does the dance tell the audience about the character? If you select Michael as one of the characters, explain why you think he is the only one who does not dance.
Essay Topic 2
When Rose is lost, the hierarchy within the group of sisters changes. Who is usually in charge and who takes over during the emergency? Using quotations from the play, explain this dynamic and tell why you think the change took place.
Essay Topic 3
The radio, "Marconi," has "killed all Christian conversation in this country," according to Kate. It has certainly had a powerful effect on the lives of the Mundy family. Analyze the effect of the radio on the lives of this family. Use examples from the script in your analysis.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)