|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gerry Evans hide when Agnes comes back from picking blackberries?
2. How many husbands does Uncle Jack say he could provide the sisters in Ryanga?
3. Why does Rose say she has to leave the berry picking early?
4. How does Chris feel about her job?
5. Why is Kate offended at Uncle Jack's talk of multiple wives?
Essay Topic 1
The fox is an important metaphor in this play. If the family of women is the hen house, who is the fox? How many of the women have had unsuccessful relationships with men? List and explain each and develop your own thesis for why each situation ended unhappily.
Essay Topic 2
What do you make of the fact that Michael is often not to be found when the other characters call for him? Cite the passages where they discuss his disappearance when he is needed. Is this a foreshadowing device? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
At different times in the play, every character dances except for Michael. Select two of the characters and analyze the dance of each. What does their dance mean? What does the dance tell the audience about the character? If you select Michael as one of the characters, explain why you think he is the only one who does not dance.
This section contains 1,358 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)