|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerry Evans seem to be able to do that no one else in the family can?
2. How many eggs does Maggie have to feed the people over for dinner in Act 2?
3. What does Michael say haunts his memory of the thirties?
4. When does Uncle Jack die?
5. What is Michael writing to ask from Santa Claus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Kate believe Agnes could not work in a factory?
2. How does Uncle Jack reveal that the Ryangans have not been converted to Christianity by his efforts?
3. What news does Rose bring her family about the boy who was burned during the Lughnasa fires?
4. The recruiter tells Gerry Evans that he is invaluable to the brigade because he is a master at disguising himself. How does this revelation relate to the false impression he has given to Gerry Evans?
5. When Uncle Jack hears wedding bells, he asks if it is one of his sisters who is getting married. Who is actually marrying?
6. How does Rose trick Agnes and get away from her?
7. Why does Gerry Evans decide to go to war in a foreign country?
8. Which of the sisters understands the politics of the Spanish Civil War?
9. Maggie asks Michael a riddle about the apples on a tree. What might those apples symbolize?
10. What is it that Kate asks Uncle Jack to promise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Uncle Jack's uniform is an important symbol in this story. Analyze the appearance of his uniform in the mind's eye of young Michael and the rest of his family, and the appearance of his uniform at the end. What does the change represent? How has the family's view of Uncle Jack changed after he has been home for a few weeks?
Essay Topic 2
The playwright, Brian Friel, uses the character Michael to tell the audience the eventual fate of the characters before the play itself is finished. How did knowing where the characters' actions would lead them affect you as a reader? Did you find it an effective dramatic device?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Uncle Jack has paid a heavy cost in both body and mind to serve the lepers in Ryanga. He has also learned different ways of looking at the world than he had when he left Ireland. Do you see his character as a failure? Why or why not?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)