|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kate say the radio has done to the country?
2. When does Chris say Michael always vanishes?
3. To whom does Maggie compare herself when she dances?
4. Why does Kate think Agnes and Rose did not apply to work in the knitting factory?
5. What work do Rose and Agnes do after they leave Ballybeg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you make of the fact that Michael is often not to be found when the other characters call for him? Cite the passages where they discuss his disappearance when he is needed. Is this a foreshadowing device? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze what it means to you that young Michael's kites have faces that are cruel and grinning, and that they are not able to fly. Why do you think the playwright put this element into his play? What do these kites tell you about young Michael's feelings toward the women in his family? Toward life in general?
Essay Topic 3
Maggie asks riddles of young Michael, and he never offers any possible answers, even when she chides him for being stupid. In the end, she herself has forgotten the answer to the riddle she poses. Analyze the playwright's use of riddles in this way. What do you think he is trying to say about Maggie? About Michael? About life?
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)