|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the characters call movies?
2. How does Gerry Evans get to Ballybeg?
3. What does Danny Bradley call Rose?
4. Which of the sisters is first to stop work and dance to the radio music?
5. How long has Uncle Jack been gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the names Nora and Nina that Bernie O'Donnell gave to her twin daughters?
2. What does Chris wear during the sisters' dancing that upsets Kate?
3. When Irish music comes from the radio, which of the sisters begins to dance first, and in what mood does she dance?
4. Why do you think young Michael felt unease rather than amusement or joy when his mother and aunts danced?
5. What does Maggie release for Michael to see?
6. What does Maggie mean when she tells Michael that someday he's going to fill some woman's life with happiness?
7. Why does Chris call Danny Bradley a bastard?
8. Why do you think the opening tableau shows Uncle Jack in his "resplendent" uniform, which is out of place in the play's action?
9. What does Maggie recollect about Bernie?
10. What significance does Austin Morgan have in this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Ryangan idea of marriage with what Kate calls the "holy sacrament of matrimony." Judging from the main characters and their romantic relationships, make a statement comparing the costs and benefits of both kinds of marriage. Cite quotations from the play to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Uncle Jack's uniform is an important symbol in this story. Analyze the appearance of his uniform in the mind's eye of young Michael and the rest of his family, and the appearance of his uniform at the end. What does the change represent? How has the family's view of Uncle Jack changed after he has been home for a few weeks?
Essay Topic 3
At different times in the play, every character dances except for Michael. Select two of the characters and analyze the dance of each. What does their dance mean? What does the dance tell the audience about the character? If you select Michael as one of the characters, explain why you think he is the only one who does not dance.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)