|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lugh?
2. What does Chris do that Kate thinks sacrilegious?
3. Which of the sisters dances alone?
4. How does Gerry Evans get to Ballybeg?
5. What is the "double blessing" Bernie O'Donnell has?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think young Michael felt unease rather than amusement or joy when his mother and aunts danced?
2. How has Chris brought shame upon the Mundy family?
3. What reasons does Kate use for refusing to go to the harvest dance?
4. How does Kate feel about Michael, and how can you tell?
5. What is the difference between the way Kate dances and the dance of the other sisters?
6. How has Uncle Jack brought status to the Mundy family?
7. Why does Chris call Danny Bradley a bastard?
8. What does Chris wear during the sisters' dancing that upsets Kate?
9. What is Maggie's reaction to hearing that her old friend Bernie O'Donnell is in town, and why does she react this way?
10. How far do the Mundys live from the rest of the village, and what significance is there in that distance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The playwright, Brian Friel, uses the character Michael to tell the audience the eventual fate of the characters before the play itself is finished. How did knowing where the characters' actions would lead them affect you as a reader? Did you find it an effective dramatic device?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Uncle Jack has paid a heavy cost in both body and mind to serve the lepers in Ryanga. He has also learned different ways of looking at the world than he had when he left Ireland. Do you see his character as a failure? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The radio, "Marconi," has "killed all Christian conversation in this country," according to Kate. It has certainly had a powerful effect on the lives of the Mundy family. Analyze the effect of the radio on the lives of this family. Use examples from the script in your analysis.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)