|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language has Uncle Jack been speaking for twenty-five years?
2. Why is Michael disappointed in Uncle Jack?
3. Who is the joker of the Mundy family?
4. What is Michael building in the yard?
5. How soon does Kate predict Gerry Evans will come back?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Agnes have believed Rose could not get work in the factory?
2. What significance do you make of the fact that the recruiter who enlists Gerry Evans in the war effort is, unnoticed by Gerry Evans until after he is writing his name, a midget?
3. What does Chris wear during the sisters' dancing that upsets Kate?
4. When Irish music comes from the radio, which of the sisters begins to dance first, and in what mood does she dance?
5. What does Agnes mean when she asks Chris, "Do you want to make a pagan of yourself?"
6. Why do you think the parish priest doesn't want to look Kate in the eye since Uncle Jack came home?
7. What does Maggie mean when she tells Michael that someday he's going to fill some woman's life with happiness?
8. What is the difference between the way Kate dances and the dance of the other sisters?
9. How does Kate explain Uncle Jack's strange behavior?
10. Why does Chris call Danny Bradley a bastard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At different times in the play, every character dances except for Michael. Select two of the characters and analyze the dance of each. What does their dance mean? What does the dance tell the audience about the character? If you select Michael as one of the characters, explain why you think he is the only one who does not dance.
Essay Topic 2
The fox is an important metaphor in this play. If the family of women is the hen house, who is the fox? How many of the women have had unsuccessful relationships with men? List and explain each and develop your own thesis for why each situation ended unhappily.
Essay Topic 3
What do you make of the fact that Michael is often not to be found when the other characters call for him? Cite the passages where they discuss his disappearance when he is needed. Is this a foreshadowing device? Explain.
This section contains 1,925 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)