|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the population of Balleybeg looking forward to?
2. Why does Chris refuse Gerry Evans' offer?
3. Who first proposes that the sisters go to the harvest dance?
4. What is Wild Woodbine?
5. Why do the sisters stop dancing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maggie mean when she tells Michael that someday he's going to fill some woman's life with happiness?
2. Why do you think the parish priest doesn't want to look Kate in the eye since Uncle Jack came home?
3. What does Maggie release for Michael to see?
4. The song Maggie sings says that if the Irish don't vote for De Valera, they'll be like Gandhi and his goat. What does this mean?
5. What is significant about the names Nora and Nina that Bernie O'Donnell gave to her twin daughters?
6. Why do you think young Michael felt unease rather than amusement or joy when his mother and aunts danced?
7. How has Uncle Jack brought status to the Mundy family?
8. From what does Kate struggle to protect her home when they joke about naming the radio?
9. How does Kate feel about Michael, and how can you tell?
10. We as readers are told that Rose is "simple." How does the playwright make that clear to the audience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rose is described as "simple," yet she is the one who informs the family about goings-on in the village and in the world around them. How do you imagine that she gets this information, and what does it tell you about her and the way the family views her? Use examples from the play to explore Rose's character. Do her sisters understand her? Does she understand them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What do you make of the fact that Michael is often not to be found when the other characters call for him? Cite the passages where they discuss his disappearance when he is needed. Is this a foreshadowing device? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
When Rose is lost, the hierarchy within the group of sisters changes. Who is usually in charge and who takes over during the emergency? Using quotations from the play, explain this dynamic and tell why you think the change took place.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)