Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What superstition does Maggie believe?
2. Why does Kate ask God to forgive her?
3. What do the Mundy sisters name their radio?
4. Who first proposes that the sisters go to the harvest dance?
5. What does Kate call vulgar language?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rose describe her encounter with Danny Bradley?
2. What does Maggie recollect about Bernie?
3. Why do you think young Michael felt unease rather than amusement or joy when his mother and aunts danced?
4. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Maggie asks if the people there gathered in his church for ceremonies?
5. Who does Maggie forget to count when she is calculating people they must feed for dinner?
6. What significance can we attach to Uncle Jack's declaration that he is cold all the time?
7. How does the Industrial Revolution affect the lives of the Mundy sisters?
8. Why do you think the opening tableau shows Uncle Jack in his "resplendent" uniform, which is out of place in the play's action?
9. Why do you think Rose can describe the Festival of Lughnasa to her sisters?
10. For what is the fox in the hen house a metaphor?
When Rose is lost, the hierarchy within the group of sisters changes. Who is usually in charge and who takes over during the emergency? Using quotations from the play, explain this dynamic and tell why you think the change took place.
Analyze what it means to you that young Michael's kites have faces that are cruel and grinning, and that they are not able to fly. Why do you think the playwright put this element into his play? What do these kites tell you about young Michael's feelings toward the women in his family? Toward life in general?
At different times in the play, every character dances except for Michael. Select two of the characters and analyze the dance of each. What does their dance mean? What does the dance tell the audience about the character? If you select Michael as one of the characters, explain why you think he is the only one who does not dance.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)