|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pairs of gloves must the sisters produce this week?
2. Why does Maggie worry when Michael can't be seen?
3. What language has Uncle Jack been speaking for twenty-five years?
4. Who is the joker of the Mundy family?
5. What shame does Chris bring on the family years before?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Maggie's reaction to hearing that her old friend Bernie O'Donnell is in town, and why does she react this way?
2. We as readers are told that Rose is "simple." How does the playwright make that clear to the audience?
3. What is the difference between the way Kate dances and the dance of the other sisters?
4. When Irish music comes from the radio, which of the sisters begins to dance first, and in what mood does she dance?
5. How does Kate feel about Michael, and how can you tell?
6. What is significant about the names Nora and Nina that Bernie O'Donnell gave to her twin daughters?
7. How far do the Mundys live from the rest of the village, and what significance is there in that distance?
8. What does Maggie release for Michael to see?
9. Why do you think Rose can describe the Festival of Lughnasa to her sisters?
10. How does Kate explain Uncle Jack's strange behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Rose is lost, the hierarchy within the group of sisters changes. Who is usually in charge and who takes over during the emergency? Using quotations from the play, explain this dynamic and tell why you think the change took place.
Essay Topic 2
What irony do you see in the fact that Kate eventually finds work as a tutor for Austin Morgan's young family? Explain whether this is an example of situational or dramatic irony and why you think so (or do not think so).
Essay Topic 3
The fox is an important metaphor in this play. If the family of women is the hen house, who is the fox? How many of the women have had unsuccessful relationships with men? List and explain each and develop your own thesis for why each situation ended unhappily.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)