|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maggie call Michael?
2. What medication does Uncle Jack take?
3. What does Gerry Evans think the radio is when he hears it?
4. What does the Donegal Enquirer call Uncle Jack?
5. Why don't the Mundys speak of Uncle Jack when he is a chaplain for the British army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maggie release for Michael to see?
2. Why do you think young Michael felt unease rather than amusement or joy when his mother and aunts danced?
3. How has Chris brought shame upon the Mundy family?
4. Why do you think the opening tableau shows Uncle Jack in his "resplendent" uniform, which is out of place in the play's action?
5. Why do you think the playwright chose to have adult Michael speak the lines of child Michael instead of having two actors?
6. Why does Chris call Danny Bradley a bastard?
7. What does Maggie notice about the pack of cigarettes Kate brought her, and why is it significant?
8. Why do you think the parish priest doesn't want to look Kate in the eye since Uncle Jack came home?
9. For what is the fox in the hen house a metaphor?
10. What does Maggie recollect about Bernie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you make of the fact that Michael is often not to be found when the other characters call for him? Cite the passages where they discuss his disappearance when he is needed. Is this a foreshadowing device? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The boy Michael compares his parents' silent dancing together to a ritual ceremony like a wedding, and says that after Gerry Evans leaves, his mother grieves as a bride would grieve. Compare and contrast the relationship between Gerry Evans and Chris with a real marriage.
Essay Topic 3
At different times in the play, every character dances except for Michael. Select two of the characters and analyze the dance of each. What does their dance mean? What does the dance tell the audience about the character? If you select Michael as one of the characters, explain why you think he is the only one who does not dance.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)