|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the other Michael Evans live?
2. In Act 2, what does Maggie think Agnes should do to make a living?
(a) Start a dressmaking business.
(b) Travel to Dublin and look for work.
(c) Go to work in the glove factory.
(d) Gather turf to sell.
3. Why does Michael leave the family home when he is old enough?
(a) He gets a job that takes him away.
(b) The spirit and fun is gone.
(c) He is the last one left in the home.
(d) He has to travel for an education.
4. Why does Michael say the characters dance with their eyes half closed?
(a) The music bores them.
(b) The music makes them sleepy.
(c) To open their eyes would break the spell.
(d) Closing their eyes helps them to listen better.
5. How many children does Gerry Evans have besides Michael?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chris earn her living after Uncle Jack dies?
2. How long does it take Michael to find Agnes and Rose?
3. What does Chris do when Gerry Evans dances with Agnes and Maggie?
4. What does Michael say language surrenders to in music?
5. What language does the recruiter for the Spanish army speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Gerry Evans sign up for military service, and why is that location significant?
2. What has Rose forgotten when she comes home from her meeting with Danny Bradley?
3. How does Maggie make a joke of the small amount of food they have?
4. What does it tell you about Gerry Evans that he says he will check the ignition and sparking plugs of the radio?
5. How is the Ryangan harvest festival described by Uncle Jack similar to the festival of Lughansa?
6. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his relationship to Okawa when he speaks about his time in Uganda?
7. What do you make of the kites as a symbol or metaphor, and of the fact that they wouldn't fly?
8. Why might Agnes have believed Rose could not get work in the factory?
9. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Kate asks if the people gather together for Mass?
10. How does Uncle Jack reveal that the Ryangans have not been converted to Christianity by his efforts?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)