|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gerry Evans promise Michael during each annual visit?
(a) A bell for his bike.
(b) A trip to the city.
(c) A new bike.
(d) A trip to Spain.
2. How does Chris feel about her job?
(a) She is grateful for every minute of it.
(b) She is bored by every minute of it.
(c) She loves every minute of it.
(d) She hates every minute of it.
3. Why does Gerry Evans say he is going to Spain?
(a) To fight to preserve the union.
(b) To earn a living for his family.
(c) It's somewhere to go.
(d) To fight for democracy.
4. How many husbands does Uncle Jack say he could provide the sisters in Ryanga?
(a) One husband for all five of them.
(b) More than one husband for each of them.
(c) One husband for each of them.
(d) One husband for four of them.
5. What work do Rose and Agnes do after they leave Ballybeg?
(a) Rose and Agnes never find work.
(b) Rose and Agnes knit for private companies.
(c) Rose and Agnes start a laundry service.
(d) Rose and Agnes work as cleaning women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kate think Agnes and Rose did not apply to work in the knitting factory?
2. What does Uncle Jack think is good about the multiple-wife system?
3. Who does Rose share her picnic with?
4. How does Chris earn her living after Uncle Jack dies?
5. What skill does Gerry Evans have that the army wanted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Maggie asks Michael a riddle about the apples on a tree. What might those apples symbolize?
2. What news does Rose bring her family about the boy who was burned during the Lughnasa fires?
3. There are important facts about the Spanish Civil War that Gerry Evans does not understand. One is that the Popular Front represents a Fascist, rather than a Republican, government. The other is that the Popular Front is anti-Catholic. How is this ignorance on his part ironic?
4. Why did Kate believe Agnes could not work in a factory?
5. How is the Ryangan harvest festival described by Uncle Jack similar to the festival of Lughansa?
6. How does Rose describe her encounter with Danny Bradley?
7. How does Maggie make a joke of the small amount of food they have?
8. Why might Agnes have believed Rose could not get work in the factory?
9. The recruiter tells Gerry Evans that he is invaluable to the brigade because he is a master at disguising himself. How does this revelation relate to the false impression he has given to Gerry Evans?
10. How did Michael behave as his father, Gerry Evans, had done?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)