|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Uncle Jack feel about multiple wives for one husband?
(a) "I'm completely against it."
(b) "I'm completely in favor of it."
(c) "I'm not sure that I'm against it."
(d) "I'm getting used to it."
2. What does Rose wear that is unusual for berry picking?
(a) Her Sunday shoes.
(b) Her wraparound dress.
(c) Her house apron.
(d) Her wellingtons.
3. What does Gerry Evans have that Chris and Rose doesn't know about?
(a) A wife and family.
(b) A baronial estate.
(c) A secret illness.
(d) A fortune.
4. What work do Rose and Agnes do after they leave Ballybeg?
(a) Rose and Agnes knit for private companies.
(b) Rose and Agnes work as cleaning women.
(c) Rose and Agnes start a laundry service.
(d) Rose and Agnes never find work.
5. What does Michael say is found in dancing?
(a) The heart of life and all its hopes.
(b) Unity and community.
(c) Untapped emotions.
(d) Strong and unrecognized feelings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What household task does Maggie take from Agnes during Lughnasa?
2. Why does Kate object to Gerry Evans going to Spain?
3. Where does Gerry Evans sign up to join the Spanish army?
4. Why does Rose laugh at Agnes while they are picking berries?
5. When Uncle Jack speaks of Uganda, what does he call it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maggie make a joke of the small amount of food they have?
2. Where did Gerry Evans sign up for military service, and why is that location significant?
3. What is Michael writing to ask Santa Claus to bring, and why is the gift he wants significant?
4. Why might Agnes have believed Rose could not get work in the factory?
5. How is the Ryangan harvest festival described by Uncle Jack similar to the festival of Lughansa?
6. Maggie asks Michael a riddle about the apples on a tree. What might those apples symbolize?
7. Why did Kate believe Agnes could not work in a factory?
8. What is it that Kate asks Uncle Jack to promise?
9. There are important facts about the Spanish Civil War that Gerry Evans does not understand. One is that the Popular Front represents a Fascist, rather than a Republican, government. The other is that the Popular Front is anti-Catholic. How is this ignorance on his part ironic?
10. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Kate asks if the people gather together for Mass?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)