|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gerry Evans say they need to check if the aerial is all right but the radio still won't work?
(a) The dials.
(b) The battery.
(c) The ignition.
(d) The electric cord.
2. To whom does Maggie compare herself when she dances?
(a) Mae West.
(b) Cyd Charisse.
(c) Ann Miller.
(d) Shirley Temple.
3. What does dancing become in Michael's memory?
(a) A daydream.
(b) A wordless ceremony.
(c) A lost art.
(d) A form of exercise.
4. How does Chris feel about her job?
(a) She hates every minute of it.
(b) She is bored by every minute of it.
(c) She is grateful for every minute of it.
(d) She loves every minute of it.
5. Who does Uncle Jack say brought a woman back from the dead?
(a) The Holy Ghost.
(b) A medicine man.
(c) God, the Father.
(d) The parish priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maggie forget at the end of the play?
2. How long does it take Michael to find Agnes and Rose?
3. How does Maggie lighten the mood about the lack of food in the house?
4. Who does Uncle Jack worship during Mass in Uganda?
5. What does Uncle Jack remember the children had with scones but never with soda bread?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Kate asks if the people gather together for Mass?
2. How does Rose describe her encounter with Danny Bradley?
3. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Maggie asks if the people there gathered in his church for ceremonies?
4. Who does Maggie forget to count when she is calculating people they must feed for dinner?
5. How is the Ryangan harvest festival described by Uncle Jack similar to the festival of Lughansa?
6. What news does Rose bring her family about the boy who was burned during the Lughnasa fires?
7. Which of the sisters understands the politics of the Spanish Civil War?
8. What significance do you make of the fact that the recruiter who enlists Gerry Evans in the war effort is, unnoticed by Gerry Evans until after he is writing his name, a midget?
9. What significance can we attach to Uncle Jack's declaration that he is cold all the time?
10. Maggie asks Michael a riddle about the apples on a tree. What might those apples symbolize?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)