|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michael say haunts his memory of the thirties?
(a) The personalities of his aunts.
(b) The love of his mother.
(c) The music.
(d) The country atmosphere.
2. In Act 2, what does Maggie think Agnes should do to make a living?
(a) Go to work in the glove factory.
(b) Start a dressmaking business.
(c) Gather turf to sell.
(d) Travel to Dublin and look for work.
3. How does Chris feel about her job?
(a) She hates every minute of it.
(b) She is grateful for every minute of it.
(c) She is bored by every minute of it.
(d) She loves every minute of it.
4. What does Chris want Gerry Evans to do for the family?
(a) Dance with the sisters.
(b) Write to them from Spain.
(c) Move in with them.
(d) Fix the radio.
5. How does Maggie feel about Michael's kites?
(a) She is proud of them.
(b) She loves them.
(c) She is amused by them.
(d) She hates them.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Michael get a letter from another Michael Evans?
2. What is the first step in swapping possessions in Uncle Jack's village in Uganda?
3. What does Michael say the characters in the play respond to more than the beat of the music?
4. How many eggs does Maggie have to feed the people over for dinner in Act 2?
5. How many husbands does Uncle Jack say he could provide the sisters in Ryanga?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his relationship to Okawa when he speaks about his time in Uganda?
2. How is the Ryangan harvest festival described by Uncle Jack similar to the festival of Lughansa?
3. How does Maggie make a joke of the small amount of food they have?
4. Why might Agnes have believed Rose could not get work in the factory?
5. Maggie asks Michael a riddle about the apples on a tree. What might those apples symbolize?
6. What significance do you make of the fact that the recruiter who enlists Gerry Evans in the war effort is, unnoticed by Gerry Evans until after he is writing his name, a midget?
7. What news does Rose bring her family about the boy who was burned during the Lughnasa fires?
8. Why does Gerry Evans decide to go to war in a foreign country?
9. How does Uncle Jack reveal that the Ryangans have not been converted to Christianity by his efforts?
10. How does Rose trick Agnes and get away from her?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)