|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gerry Evans say he is going to Spain?
(a) It's somewhere to go.
(b) To earn a living for his family.
(c) To fight for democracy.
(d) To fight to preserve the union.
2. What does dancing become in Michael's memory?
(a) A daydream.
(b) A wordless ceremony.
(c) A form of exercise.
(d) A lost art.
3. Where does Gerry Evans hide when Agnes comes back from picking blackberries?
(a) In the bushes in front of the house.
(b) Behind the door.
(c) On top of the sycamore tree.
(d) Under the table.
4. What skill does Gerry Evans have that the army wanted?
(a) He can speak Spanish.
(b) He can ride a motor bike.
(c) He can fire a cannon.
(d) He can make explosives.
5. How many children does Gerry Evans have besides Michael?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chris earn her living after Uncle Jack dies?
2. What does Gerry Evans trade with Uncle Jack?
3. Why does Maggie claim that Michael owes her money?
4. What does Chris do when Gerry Evans dances with Agnes and Maggie?
5. How long does it take Michael to find Agnes and Rose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gerry Evans decide to go to war in a foreign country?
2. What has Rose forgotten when she comes home from her meeting with Danny Bradley?
3. How did Michael behave as his father, Gerry Evans, had done?
4. When Uncle Jack hears wedding bells, he asks if it is one of his sisters who is getting married. Who is actually marrying?
5. How does Rose describe her encounter with Danny Bradley?
6. Why did Kate believe Agnes could not work in a factory?
7. Who does Maggie forget to count when she is calculating people they must feed for dinner?
8. What significance do you make of the fact that the recruiter who enlists Gerry Evans in the war effort is, unnoticed by Gerry Evans until after he is writing his name, a midget?
9. Maggie asks Michael a riddle about the apples on a tree. What might those apples symbolize?
10. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Kate asks if the people gather together for Mass?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)