|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Michael say the characters dance with their eyes half closed?
(a) The music makes them sleepy.
(b) To open their eyes would break the spell.
(c) The music bores them.
(d) Closing their eyes helps them to listen better.
2. What does Michael say haunts his memory of the thirties?
(a) The country atmosphere.
(b) The music.
(c) The personalities of his aunts.
(d) The love of his mother.
3. Why does Rose say she has to leave the berry picking early?
(a) She says she is sleepy.
(b) She says she is sick.
(c) She says she has to go to town.
(d) She says she has an appointment.
4. When does Uncle Jack return to celebrating Mass?
(b) The following Monday, as he promised.
(c) On Christmas Eve.
(d) The following Sunday, as he promised.
5. What does Maggie say she would choose if she had to select either a plump old widower or one Wild Woodbine?
(a) The Wild Woodbine.
(b) The plump old widower.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerry Evans promise Michael during each annual visit?
2. What is the first step in swapping possessions in Uncle Jack's village in Uganda?
3. What does Kate say the radio has done to the country?
4. What does Chris do when Gerry Evans dances with Agnes and Maggie?
5. How long has Rose been gone when the sisters realize she is missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Kate asks if the people gather together for Mass?
2. Which of the sisters understands the politics of the Spanish Civil War?
3. The recruiter tells Gerry Evans that he is invaluable to the brigade because he is a master at disguising himself. How does this revelation relate to the false impression he has given to Gerry Evans?
4. How does Uncle Jack reveal that the Ryangans have not been converted to Christianity by his efforts?
5. What has Rose forgotten when she comes home from her meeting with Danny Bradley?
6. What significance do you make of the fact that the recruiter who enlists Gerry Evans in the war effort is, unnoticed by Gerry Evans until after he is writing his name, a midget?
7. Where did Gerry Evans sign up for military service, and why is that location significant?
8. How did Michael behave as his father, Gerry Evans, had done?
9. How does Rose trick Agnes and get away from her?
10. What significance can we attach to Uncle Jack's declaration that he is cold all the time?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)