|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maggie lighten the mood about the lack of food in the house?
(a) Maggie says they'll all be thinner.
(b) Maggie says she's got a secret recipe.
(c) Maggie says there's plenty for all.
(d) Maggie says it's a nice challenge to a chef like her.
2. What household task does Maggie take from Agnes during Lughnasa?
(c) Feeding the chickens.
3. Which of the sisters takes over to organize the search for Rose?
4. Why does Kate object to Gerry Evans going to Spain?
(a) He'll be fighting allies of Ireland.
(b) He'll be putting their income at risk.
(c) He'll be fighting for godless Communism.
(d) He'll be fighting for democracy.
5. Why does Rose laugh at Agnes while they are picking berries?
(a) Agnes falls into the bushes.
(b) Agnes gets wet in the stream.
(c) Agnes tells her a joke.
(d) Agnes makes faces at her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerry Evans promise Michael during each annual visit?
2. When does Gerry Evans stop visiting the Mundys?
3. What does Gerry Evans seem to be able to do that no one else in the family can?
4. Who does Uncle Jack say brought a woman back from the dead?
5. What do Agnes and Rose tell the family not to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. The recruiter tells Gerry Evans that he is invaluable to the brigade because he is a master at disguising himself. How does this revelation relate to the false impression he has given to Gerry Evans?
2. How does the Industrial Revolution affect the lives of the Mundy sisters?
3. Who does Maggie forget to count when she is calculating people they must feed for dinner?
4. What significance can we attach to Uncle Jack's declaration that he is cold all the time?
5. What phrase did Kate hit upon that comforted her as she tried to understand Uncle Jack's changed attitude toward life since his stay in Ryanda?
6. What significance do you make of the fact that the recruiter who enlists Gerry Evans in the war effort is, unnoticed by Gerry Evans until after he is writing his name, a midget?
7. What do you make of the kites as a symbol or metaphor, and of the fact that they wouldn't fly?
8. What has changed about Rose's appearance when she comes home from her meeting with Danny Bradley?
9. There are important facts about the Spanish Civil War that Gerry Evans does not understand. One is that the Popular Front represents a Fascist, rather than a Republican, government. The other is that the Popular Front is anti-Catholic. How is this ignorance on his part ironic?
10. Why does Gerry Evans decide to go to war in a foreign country?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)