|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chris think is wrong with the radio?
(a) It's improperly wired.
(b) It's broken.
(c) It's old.
(d) It's possessed.
2. What does Gerry Evans seem to be able to do that no one else in the family can?
(a) Fix the radio.
(b) Fix a meal with only three eggs.
(c) Teach Michael to dance.
(d) Earn a living.
3. How does Maggie lighten the mood about the lack of food in the house?
(a) Maggie says they'll all be thinner.
(b) Maggie says it's a nice challenge to a chef like her.
(c) Maggie says she's got a secret recipe.
(d) Maggie says there's plenty for all.
4. What does Michael say language surrenders to in music?
5. When does Chris say Michael always vanishes?
(a) When it's bedtime.
(b) When it's time to feed the chickens.
(c) When it's dinnertime.
(d) When there's work to be done.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Uncle Jack feel about multiple wives for one husband?
2. Why does Michael leave the family home when he is old enough?
3. What does Maggie forget at the end of the play?
4. How old is Michael when he receives the letter from the other Michael Evans?
5. What popular song does Gerry Evans dance to with the sisters in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Michael writing to ask Santa Claus to bring, and why is the gift he wants significant?
2. What do you make of the kites as a symbol or metaphor, and of the fact that they wouldn't fly?
3. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Kate asks if the people gather together for Mass?
4. What significance can we attach to Uncle Jack's declaration that he is cold all the time?
5. There are important facts about the Spanish Civil War that Gerry Evans does not understand. One is that the Popular Front represents a Fascist, rather than a Republican, government. The other is that the Popular Front is anti-Catholic. How is this ignorance on his part ironic?
6. Why might Agnes have believed Rose could not get work in the factory?
7. The recruiter tells Gerry Evans that he is invaluable to the brigade because he is a master at disguising himself. How does this revelation relate to the false impression he has given to Gerry Evans?
8. What does it tell you about Gerry Evans that he says he will check the ignition and sparking plugs of the radio?
9. How does the Industrial Revolution affect the lives of the Mundy sisters?
10. What significance do you make of the fact that the recruiter who enlists Gerry Evans in the war effort is, unnoticed by Gerry Evans until after he is writing his name, a midget?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)