|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Gerry Evans stop visiting the Mundys?
(a) After 1950.
(b) During World War II.
(c) Before 1939.
(d) In 1936.
2. What does Gerry Evans seem to be able to do that no one else in the family can?
(a) Fix a meal with only three eggs.
(b) Earn a living.
(c) Fix the radio.
(d) Teach Michael to dance.
3. How does Maggie feel about Michael's kites?
(a) She is proud of them.
(b) She loves them.
(c) She hates them.
(d) She is amused by them.
4. To whom does Maggie compare herself when she dances?
(a) Cyd Charisse.
(b) Mae West.
(c) Ann Miller.
(d) Shirley Temple.
5. Why does Michael say the characters dance with their eyes half closed?
(a) The music bores them.
(b) Closing their eyes helps them to listen better.
(c) The music makes them sleepy.
(d) To open their eyes would break the spell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kate think Agnes and Rose did not apply to work in the knitting factory?
2. Which sister is dead when Michael finds them?
3. What does Gerry Evans trade with Uncle Jack?
4. Why is Kate offended at Uncle Jack's talk of multiple wives?
5. What has Michael painted on the kites?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his relationship to Okawa when he speaks about his time in Uganda?
2. How does the Industrial Revolution affect the lives of the Mundy sisters?
3. Why did Kate believe Agnes could not work in a factory?
4. Who does Maggie forget to count when she is calculating people they must feed for dinner?
5. Why might Agnes have believed Rose could not get work in the factory?
6. Which of the sisters understands the politics of the Spanish Civil War?
7. Why does Gerry Evans decide to go to war in a foreign country?
8. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Kate asks if the people gather together for Mass?
9. How does Maggie make a joke of the small amount of food they have?
10. There are important facts about the Spanish Civil War that Gerry Evans does not understand. One is that the Popular Front represents a Fascist, rather than a Republican, government. The other is that the Popular Front is anti-Catholic. How is this ignorance on his part ironic?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)