|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Uncle Jack feel about multiple wives for one husband?
(a) "I'm not sure that I'm against it."
(b) "I'm completely in favor of it."
(c) "I'm getting used to it."
(d) "I'm completely against it."
2. What does Uncle Jack promise he'll do soon?
(a) Say Mass in the house.
(b) Teach a class on Ugandan customs.
(c) Walk four times a day.
(d) Go to the harvest festival.
3. What does Chris do when Gerry Evans dances with Agnes and Maggie?
(a) Joins in the dance.
(b) Sings along with the radio.
(c) Turns the radio off.
(d) Makes up her own dance.
4. Why does Michael say his kites haven't flown?
(a) Not enough wind.
(b) The kites need tails.
(c) The kites aren't finished.
(d) The area is too crowded with trees.
5. How is Gerry Evans wounded in Spain?
(a) He falls off his motorbike.
(b) He is shot.
(c) He is injured by a grenade.
(d) He is disabled by mustard gas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kate object to Gerry Evans going to Spain?
2. What word does Kate use to describe Michael?
3. When does Michael get a letter from another Michael Evans?
4. What does Gerry Evans seem to be able to do that no one else in the family can?
5. How many children does Gerry Evans have besides Michael?
Short Essay Questions
1. Maggie asks Michael a riddle about the apples on a tree. What might those apples symbolize?
2. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Maggie asks if the people there gathered in his church for ceremonies?
3. What has changed about Rose's appearance when she comes home from her meeting with Danny Bradley?
4. What do you make of the kites as a symbol or metaphor, and of the fact that they wouldn't fly?
5. What significance can we attach to Uncle Jack's declaration that he is cold all the time?
6. Why might Agnes have believed Rose could not get work in the factory?
7. There are important facts about the Spanish Civil War that Gerry Evans does not understand. One is that the Popular Front represents a Fascist, rather than a Republican, government. The other is that the Popular Front is anti-Catholic. How is this ignorance on his part ironic?
8. What has Rose forgotten when she comes home from her meeting with Danny Bradley?
9. How does Uncle Jack reveal that the Ryangans have not been converted to Christianity by his efforts?
10. How does Rose describe her encounter with Danny Bradley?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)