|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of Gerry Evans' war injury?
(a) He is unable to walk.
(b) He is unable to work.
(c) He is unable to dance.
(d) He is paralyzed.
2. Why does Rose say she has to leave the berry picking early?
(a) She says she is sleepy.
(b) She says she has an appointment.
(c) She says she is sick.
(d) She says she has to go to town.
3. How long does it take Michael to find Agnes and Rose?
(a) All week.
(b) A year.
(c) Twenty-five years.
(d) Two months.
4. What does Rose say happened to the boy who was burned at the Lughnasa festival?
(a) He's recovering.
(b) He will be paralyzed.
(c) He died.
(d) He will be crippled.
5. What does Uncle Jack think is good about the multiple-wife system?
(a) There are no spinsters.
(b) There are more children.
(c) It prevents jealousy and spite.
(d) Everybody helps everybody else.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which sister is dead when Michael finds them?
2. Why does Kate think Agnes and Rose did not apply to work in the knitting factory?
3. What does Gerry Evans trade with Uncle Jack?
4. Why does Kate object to Gerry Evans going to Spain?
5. Where are Agnes and Rose when Michael finds them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Kate asks if the people gather together for Mass?
2. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Maggie asks if the people there gathered in his church for ceremonies?
3. When Uncle Jack hears wedding bells, he asks if it is one of his sisters who is getting married. Who is actually marrying?
4. What phrase did Kate hit upon that comforted her as she tried to understand Uncle Jack's changed attitude toward life since his stay in Ryanda?
5. How does Maggie make a joke of the small amount of food they have?
6. What significance do you make of the fact that the recruiter who enlists Gerry Evans in the war effort is, unnoticed by Gerry Evans until after he is writing his name, a midget?
7. Where did Gerry Evans sign up for military service, and why is that location significant?
8. There are important facts about the Spanish Civil War that Gerry Evans does not understand. One is that the Popular Front represents a Fascist, rather than a Republican, government. The other is that the Popular Front is anti-Catholic. How is this ignorance on his part ironic?
9. Why did Kate believe Agnes could not work in a factory?
10. How did Michael behave as his father, Gerry Evans, had done?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)