|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What work do Rose and Agnes do after they leave Ballybeg?
(a) Rose and Agnes knit for private companies.
(b) Rose and Agnes work as cleaning women.
(c) Rose and Agnes start a laundry service.
(d) Rose and Agnes never find work.
2. What does Maggie say she would choose if she had to select either a plump old widower or one Wild Woodbine?
(a) The Wild Woodbine.
(c) The plump old widower.
3. What does Gerry Evans think Agnes should do for a living?
(a) Teach dance.
(c) Be a dressmaker.
(d) Knit gloves.
4. What does Rose say happened to the boy who was burned at the Lughnasa festival?
(a) He will be crippled.
(b) He will be paralyzed.
(c) He's recovering.
(d) He died.
5. What does Gerry Evans seem to be able to do that no one else in the family can?
(a) Earn a living.
(b) Teach Michael to dance.
(c) Fix a meal with only three eggs.
(d) Fix the radio.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maggie forget at the end of the play?
2. How old is Michael when he receives the letter from the other Michael Evans?
3. What does Gerry Evans say they need to check if the aerial is all right but the radio still won't work?
4. What does Uncle Jack think is good about the multiple-wife system?
5. What are the hand knitters in Ballybeg going to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it tell you about Gerry Evans that he says he will check the ignition and sparking plugs of the radio?
2. What is Michael writing to ask Santa Claus to bring, and why is the gift he wants significant?
3. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Maggie asks if the people there gathered in his church for ceremonies?
4. When Uncle Jack hears wedding bells, he asks if it is one of his sisters who is getting married. Who is actually marrying?
5. How does Maggie make a joke of the small amount of food they have?
6. Why did Kate believe Agnes could not work in a factory?
7. How did Michael behave as his father, Gerry Evans, had done?
8. Why does Gerry Evans decide to go to war in a foreign country?
9. Where did Gerry Evans sign up for military service, and why is that location significant?
10. How is the Ryangan harvest festival described by Uncle Jack similar to the festival of Lughansa?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)