|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about the recruiter of which Gerry Evans learns as he writes his name?
(a) The recruiter is crippled.
(b) The recruiter has only one leg.
(c) The recruiter is a midget.
(d) The recruiter is blind.
2. What does Uncle Jack remember the children had with scones but never with soda bread?
(d) Bilberry jam.
3. Why does Michael say his kites haven't flown?
(a) The kites aren't finished.
(b) The kites need tails.
(c) The area is too crowded with trees.
(d) Not enough wind.
4. How many children does Gerry Evans have besides Michael?
5. Where does the other Michael Evans live?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first step in swapping possessions in Uncle Jack's village in Uganda?
2. What does Michael say haunts his memory of the thirties?
3. Why does Kate think Agnes and Rose did not apply to work in the knitting factory?
4. Which sister does Gerry Evans dance with first?
5. What does Gerry Evans think Agnes should do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Gerry Evans sign up for military service, and why is that location significant?
2. Maggie asks Michael a riddle about the apples on a tree. What might those apples symbolize?
3. What is Michael writing to ask Santa Claus to bring, and why is the gift he wants significant?
4. Which of the sisters understands the politics of the Spanish Civil War?
5. What does it tell you about Gerry Evans that he says he will check the ignition and sparking plugs of the radio?
6. How does the Industrial Revolution affect the lives of the Mundy sisters?
7. Who does Maggie forget to count when she is calculating people they must feed for dinner?
8. What do you make of the kites as a symbol or metaphor, and of the fact that they wouldn't fly?
9. What has changed about Rose's appearance when she comes home from her meeting with Danny Bradley?
10. What news does Rose bring her family about the boy who was burned during the Lughnasa fires?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)