|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose arrival throws the Mundy household into turmoil?
(a) Uncle Jack.
(b) Bernie O'Donnell.
(c) Gerry Evans.
2. What animals does Maggie feed?
3. How soon does Kate predict Gerry Evans will come back?
(a) In a month.
(b) In a week.
(d) In a year.
4. Why does Maggie worry when Michael can't be seen?
(a) He could go to the back hills.
(b) He could go into town.
(c) He could go to the woods.
(d) He could go to the old well.
5. What does Chris do that Kate thinks sacrilegious?
(a) She wears the surplice she's been ironing.
(b) She turns the picture of the saints to the wall.
(c) She shows her legs when she dances.
(d) She takes the name of the Lord in vain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Danny Bradley call Rose?
2. How does Chris heat the iron for their clothes?
3. What does Chris want Michael to believe about his father?
4. Which of the sisters refuses to watch Chris dancing with Gerry Evans?
5. What is the first thing the Mundys listen to on the radio?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Chris brought shame upon the Mundy family?
2. What reasons does Kate use for refusing to go to the harvest dance?
3. Why do you think young Michael felt unease rather than amusement or joy when his mother and aunts danced?
4. What is Maggie's reaction to hearing that her old friend Bernie O'Donnell is in town, and why does she react this way?
5. What is significant about the names Nora and Nina that Bernie O'Donnell gave to her twin daughters?
6. What does Agnes mean when she asks Chris, "Do you want to make a pagan of yourself?"
7. The song Maggie sings says that if the Irish don't vote for De Valera, they'll be like Gandhi and his goat. What does this mean?
8. What does Maggie release for Michael to see?
9. When Irish music comes from the radio, which of the sisters begins to dance first, and in what mood does she dance?
10. Why do you think Rose can describe the Festival of Lughnasa to her sisters?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)