|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rose dance in wellingtons?
(a) The wellingtons are more comfortable.
(b) She can't get the wellingtons off.
(c) She has no other shoes.
(d) Her other shoes are for Sunday.
2. Why is Michael disappointed in Uncle Jack?
(a) Uncle Jack ignores Michael.
(b) Uncle Jack shouts all the time.
(c) Uncle Jack is unkind to the family.
(d) Uncle Jack doesn't look as Michael had imagined him.
3. What language has Uncle Jack been speaking for twenty-five years?
4. Which of the sisters is first to stop work and dance to the radio music?
5. Why does Kate ask God to forgive her?
(a) For refusing to dance.
(b) For judging her sisters.
(c) For poisoning the atmosphere in the house.
(d) For calling Gerry Evans a bastard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Mundy sisters name their radio?
2. What is Wild Woodbine?
3. What do the people of Ballylbeg plan for Jack?
4. How does Kate identify Gerry Evans?
5. What does Kate bring Chris from town because she is "far too pale?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Agnes mean when she asks Chris, "Do you want to make a pagan of yourself?"
2. Why do you think young Michael felt unease rather than amusement or joy when his mother and aunts danced?
3. We as readers are told that Rose is "simple." How does the playwright make that clear to the audience?
4. How far do the Mundys live from the rest of the village, and what significance is there in that distance?
5. What do you think Michael means when he talks of a widening breach between what seemed to be and what was?
6. How does Kate explain Uncle Jack's strange behavior?
7. After Agnes blows Michael a kiss, she says it was the wrong thing to do. Why would it be the wrong thing to do?
8. What does Chris wear during the sisters' dancing that upsets Kate?
9. What significance does Austin Morgan have in this story?
10. What does Maggie notice about the pack of cigarettes Kate brought her, and why is it significant?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)