|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Gerry Evans think he's been away?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) Six months.
(c) A year.
(d) Thirteen months.
2. What does Chris want Michael to believe about his father?
(a) That he is honorable.
(b) That he is handsome.
(c) That he is trustworthy.
(d) That he is responsible.
3. What does Maggie call Michael?
4. How does Chris heat the iron for their clothes?
(a) In the stove.
(b) On the radiator.
(c) In the fireplace.
(d) On the hearth.
5. What is the name of the village where the Mundys live?
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals does Maggie feed?
2. What unusual stage convention involves the boy Michael?
3. What does Maggie admire about Brian McGuinness?
4. How does Gerry Evans react when Chris tells him the family is watching them?
5. In what year does Dancing at Lughnasa take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the opening tableau shows Uncle Jack in his "resplendent" uniform, which is out of place in the play's action?
2. Why does Kate become angry when Rose repeats the idea that twins are a double blessing?
3. What does Maggie mean when she tells Michael that someday he's going to fill some woman's life with happiness?
4. Why do you think the playwright chose to have adult Michael speak the lines of child Michael instead of having two actors?
5. After Agnes blows Michael a kiss, she says it was the wrong thing to do. Why would it be the wrong thing to do?
6. The song Maggie sings says that if the Irish don't vote for De Valera, they'll be like Gandhi and his goat. What does this mean?
7. What does Maggie notice about the pack of cigarettes Kate brought her, and why is it significant?
8. Why does Chris call Danny Bradley a bastard?
9. Why do you think Rose can describe the Festival of Lughnasa to her sisters?
10. We as readers are told that Rose is "simple." How does the playwright make that clear to the audience?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)