|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Bernie O'Donnell?
(a) An old friend of Agnes's.
(b) An old friend of Maggie's.
(c) An old friend of Rose's.
(d) An old friend of Kate's.
2. Why do the sisters stop dancing?
(a) They are embarrassed.
(b) The radio quits.
(c) They are worn out.
(d) Uncle Jack stops them.
3. To what tune do Gerry Evans and Chris dance?
(a) Pennsylvania 6-5000.
(b) Some Enchanted Evening.
(c) String of Pearls.
(d) Dancing in the Dark.
4. What does Maggie call Michael?
5. What unusual stage convention involves the boy Michael?
(a) The boy Michael narrates the play.
(b) The boy Michael is silent.
(c) The boy Michael is invisible, and his lines are said by adult Michael.
(d) The boy Michael is played by an adult.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what disease does Uncle Jack suffer?
2. How old Is Uncle Jack?
3. What feeling does the radio create in Michael?
4. How long has Uncle Jack been gone?
5. Which of the sisters is the most graceful dancer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Michael writing to ask Santa Claus to bring, and why is the gift he wants significant?
2. What does it tell you about Gerry Evans that he says he will check the ignition and sparking plugs of the radio?
3. We as readers are told that Rose is "simple." How does the playwright make that clear to the audience?
4. What is Maggie's reaction to hearing that her old friend Bernie O'Donnell is in town, and why does she react this way?
5. What does Chris wear during the sisters' dancing that upsets Kate?
6. How does Maggie make a joke of the small amount of food they have?
7. From what does Kate struggle to protect her home when they joke about naming the radio?
8. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Maggie asks if the people there gathered in his church for ceremonies?
9. For what is the fox in the hen house a metaphor?
10. Where did Gerry Evans sign up for military service, and why is that location significant?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)