|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chris do that Kate thinks sacrilegious?
(a) She wears the surplice she's been ironing.
(b) She shows her legs when she dances.
(c) She takes the name of the Lord in vain.
(d) She turns the picture of the saints to the wall.
2. Where is Bernie O'Donnell's husband from?
3. From what disease does Uncle Jack suffer?
(d) Dengue fever.
4. What dance do Bernie O'Donnell and Maggie compete in?
(a) The polka.
(b) The jitterbug.
(c) The Military Two-step.
(d) The waltz.
5. How do the sisters feel about Uncle Jack while he is in the leper colony?
(a) He is cut off from them.
(b) He is a mystery to them.
(c) He is a shame and a disgrace to them.
(d) He is a hero and a saint to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maggie call Michael?
2. Which of the sisters dances alone?
3. Why does Kate ask God to forgive her?
4. What does Agnes call her sisters when they dance immodestly?
5. What superstition does Maggie believe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the playwright chose to have adult Michael speak the lines of child Michael instead of having two actors?
2. What does Maggie notice about the pack of cigarettes Kate brought her, and why is it significant?
3. What has Rose forgotten when she comes home from her meeting with Danny Bradley?
4. What does Maggie mean when she tells Michael that someday he's going to fill some woman's life with happiness?
5. For what is the fox in the hen house a metaphor?
6. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his ministry in Ryanga when Maggie asks if the people there gathered in his church for ceremonies?
7. The song Maggie sings says that if the Irish don't vote for De Valera, they'll be like Gandhi and his goat. What does this mean?
8. Who does Maggie forget to count when she is calculating people they must feed for dinner?
9. What is the difference between the way Kate dances and the dance of the other sisters?
10. There are important facts about the Spanish Civil War that Gerry Evans does not understand. One is that the Popular Front represents a Fascist, rather than a Republican, government. The other is that the Popular Front is anti-Catholic. How is this ignorance on his part ironic?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)