|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Uncle Jack been when the story opens?
(a) In a leper colony in Uganda.
(b) In London.
(c) In Dublin.
(d) Working for the British army in East Africa.
2. Which of the sisters dances alone?
3. What infuriates Kate about Gerry Evans?
(a) He doesn't keep a job.
(b) He doesn't come by often.
(c) He doesn't support his child.
(d) He doesn't love Chris.
4. Why does Kate object to going to the harvest dance?
(a) People will laugh at women their age dancing.
(b) People will laugh because they are awkward dancers.
(c) People will laugh at their clothes.
(d) People will laugh because they have no husbands.
5. Why is Michael disappointed in Uncle Jack?
(a) Uncle Jack doesn't look as Michael had imagined him.
(b) Uncle Jack shouts all the time.
(c) Uncle Jack is unkind to the family.
(d) Uncle Jack ignores Michael.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maggie think Gerry Evans looks?
2. What does Gerry's customer take from him the day before yesterday?
3. What shame does Chris bring on the family years before?
4. How do the sisters feel about Uncle Jack while he is in the leper colony?
5. Why does Kate ask God to forgive her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it tell you about Gerry Evans that he says he will check the ignition and sparking plugs of the radio?
2. How has Uncle Jack brought status to the Mundy family?
3. Maggie asks Michael a riddle about the apples on a tree. What might those apples symbolize?
4. When Irish music comes from the radio, which of the sisters begins to dance first, and in what mood does she dance?
5. What reasons does Kate use for refusing to go to the harvest dance?
6. What significance do you make of the fact that the recruiter who enlists Gerry Evans in the war effort is, unnoticed by Gerry Evans until after he is writing his name, a midget?
7. What is Michael writing to ask Santa Claus to bring, and why is the gift he wants significant?
8. What does Chris wear during the sisters' dancing that upsets Kate?
9. What phrase did Kate hit upon that comforted her as she tried to understand Uncle Jack's changed attitude toward life since his stay in Ryanda?
10. What does Uncle Jack reveal about his relationship to Okawa when he speaks about his time in Uganda?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)