|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Agnes recommend to fix the radio?
(a) Move it to another room.
(b) Fix the frayed cord.
(c) Buy a new battery.
(d) Turn it off until it cools down.
2. What does Gerry's customer take from him the day before yesterday?
(a) Four gramophones.
(b) Four Bibles.
(c) Four encyclopedias.
(d) Four brochures.
3. How does Kate identify Gerry Evans?
(a) Gerry Evans is tall and handsome.
(b) Gerry Evans is riding a bicycle.
(c) Gerry Evans carries a suitcase of goods to sell.
(d) Gerry Evans has a walking stick and a straw hat.
4. Why doesn't Gerry Evans bring Michael a bicycle?
(a) The one he sees is too small.
(b) The one he sees is for girls.
(c) The one he sees is the wrong color.
(d) The one he sees is too big.
5. How old is Michael when this story takes place?
Short Answer Questions
1. What superstition does Maggie believe?
2. What does Maggie call Michael?
3. What is the "double blessing" Bernie O'Donnell has?
4. How long has Gerry Evans been away?
5. What is the name of the village where the Mundys live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maggie recollect about Bernie?
2. What do you think Michael means when he talks of a widening breach between what seemed to be and what was?
3. What does Maggie notice about the pack of cigarettes Kate brought her, and why is it significant?
4. What is significant about the names Nora and Nina that Bernie O'Donnell gave to her twin daughters?
5. What does Agnes mean when she asks Chris, "Do you want to make a pagan of yourself?"
6. Why do you think young Michael felt unease rather than amusement or joy when his mother and aunts danced?
7. How far do the Mundys live from the rest of the village, and what significance is there in that distance?
8. What is the difference between the way Kate dances and the dance of the other sisters?
9. How does Kate explain Uncle Jack's strange behavior?
10. What reasons does Kate use for refusing to go to the harvest dance?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)