|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What infuriates Agnes about Kate?
(a) Kate doesn't care about Chris's feelings.
(b) Kate is a gossip.
(c) Kate judges Gerry Evans.
(d) Kate doesn't care about Michael.
2. What does Chris do that Kate thinks sacrilegious?
(a) She wears the surplice she's been ironing.
(b) She turns the picture of the saints to the wall.
(c) She takes the name of the Lord in vain.
(d) She shows her legs when she dances.
3. How does Jack feel about the Ballybeg climate?
(a) It's cold.
(b) It's perfect.
(c) It's hot.
(d) It's a relief.
4. What does Danny Bradley call Rose?
(a) Sally Rose.
5. How does Michael scare Maggie?
(a) Michael pretends to see a spider.
(b) Michael pretends to see a mouse.
(c) Michael pretends to see a rat.
(d) Michael pretends to see a snake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals does Maggie feed?
2. What dance do Bernie O'Donnell and Maggie compete in?
3. What does Kate bring Chris from town because she is "far too pale?"
4. What is Kate determined to do this winter?
5. What do the back hills people do to celebrate Lughnasa?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Irish music comes from the radio, which of the sisters begins to dance first, and in what mood does she dance?
2. What significance does Austin Morgan have in this story?
3. Why do you think young Michael felt unease rather than amusement or joy when his mother and aunts danced?
4. The song Maggie sings says that if the Irish don't vote for De Valera, they'll be like Gandhi and his goat. What does this mean?
5. How does Kate feel about Michael, and how can you tell?
6. Why does Chris call Danny Bradley a bastard?
7. What is Maggie's reaction to hearing that her old friend Bernie O'Donnell is in town, and why does she react this way?
8. What does Chris wear during the sisters' dancing that upsets Kate?
9. What does Maggie release for Michael to see?
10. How has Uncle Jack brought status to the Mundy family?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)