|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rose dance in wellingtons?
(a) Her other shoes are for Sunday.
(b) The wellingtons are more comfortable.
(c) She has no other shoes.
(d) She can't get the wellingtons off.
2. What do the characters call movies?
(d) Moving pictures.
3. What does Gerry Evans see on the way to the Mundy house that he thinks is a good omen?
(a) A cow with one horn.
(b) A unicorn.
(c) A customer for his gramophones.
(d) A leprechaun.
4. Why does Kate object to going to the harvest dance?
(a) People will laugh at their clothes.
(b) People will laugh because they have no husbands.
(c) People will laugh because they are awkward dancers.
(d) People will laugh at women their age dancing.
5. Which of the sisters refuses to watch Chris dancing with Gerry Evans?
Short Answer Questions
1. What shame does Chris bring on the family years before?
2. What dance do Bernie O'Donnell and Maggie compete in?
3. What feeling does the radio create in Michael?
4. In what year does Dancing at Lughnasa take place?
5. Which of the sisters dances alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. From what does Kate struggle to protect her home when they joke about naming the radio?
2. How far do the Mundys live from the rest of the village, and what significance is there in that distance?
3. What reasons does Kate use for refusing to go to the harvest dance?
4. What does Maggie notice about the pack of cigarettes Kate brought her, and why is it significant?
5. What is Maggie's reaction to hearing that her old friend Bernie O'Donnell is in town, and why does she react this way?
6. How does Kate explain Uncle Jack's strange behavior?
7. Why do you think the parish priest doesn't want to look Kate in the eye since Uncle Jack came home?
8. Why does Chris call Danny Bradley a bastard?
9. What significance does Austin Morgan have in this story?
10. When Irish music comes from the radio, which of the sisters begins to dance first, and in what mood does she dance?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)