|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Donegal Enquirer call Uncle Jack?
(a) A hero to all Ireland.
(b) Our own leper priest.
(c) Our own traitor.
(d) A disgrace to our country.
2. What does the storekeeper say the Mundys go through faster than anyone in Ballybeg?
(a) Corn meal.
(d) Chicken feed.
3. How long has Gerry Evans been away?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) Six months.
(c) A year.
(d) Thirteen months.
4. How does Gerry Evans react when Chris tells him the family is watching them?
(a) "Shame on them!"
(b) "Let's get out of sight!"
(c) "They're just jealous!"
(d) "Better still!"
5. What does Chris want Michael to believe about his father?
(a) That he is honorable.
(b) That he is trustworthy.
(c) That he is responsible.
(d) That he is handsome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerry Evans see at the Mundy house that he says is a bad omen?
2. What does Kate bring Chris from town because she is "far too pale?"
3. Why doesn't Gerry Evans bring Michael a bicycle?
4. What does Danny Bradley call Rose?
5. What happens to the Sweeney boy at Lughnasa?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Irish music comes from the radio, which of the sisters begins to dance first, and in what mood does she dance?
2. What does Maggie notice about the pack of cigarettes Kate brought her, and why is it significant?
3. Why do you think the opening tableau shows Uncle Jack in his "resplendent" uniform, which is out of place in the play's action?
4. What is the difference between the way Kate dances and the dance of the other sisters?
5. What is Maggie's reaction to hearing that her old friend Bernie O'Donnell is in town, and why does she react this way?
6. What reasons does Kate use for refusing to go to the harvest dance?
7. From what does Kate struggle to protect her home when they joke about naming the radio?
8. What significance does Austin Morgan have in this story?
9. What does Maggie mean when she tells Michael that someday he's going to fill some woman's life with happiness?
10. What do you think Michael means when he talks of a widening breach between what seemed to be and what was?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)