|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the sisters feel about Uncle Jack while he is in the leper colony?
(a) He is a shame and a disgrace to them.
(b) He is a mystery to them.
(c) He is a hero and a saint to them.
(d) He is cut off from them.
2. To what tune do Gerry Evans and Chris dance?
(a) Dancing in the Dark.
(b) String of Pearls.
(c) Pennsylvania 6-5000.
(d) Some Enchanted Evening.
3. What does Maggie admire about Brian McGuinness?
(a) His blue eyes and curly hair.
(b) His military bearing.
(c) His white hands and long eyelashes.
(d) His straight nose and muscular shoulders.
4. Why don't the Mundys speak of Uncle Jack when he is a chaplain for the British army?
(a) They are afraid of endangering Uncle Jack.
(b) They are angry with him.
(c) Kate is in the War of Independence against Britain.
(d) They don't know where he was.
5. Why do Maggie and Chris object to Rose seeing Danny Bradley?
(a) He's a liar.
(b) He's a drunk.
(c) He's married.
(d) He's handsome and they're jealous.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is La Lughnasa held in the old days?
2. What does Gerry Evans see on the way to the Mundy house that he thinks is a good omen?
3. What is Wild Woodbine?
4. How does Gerry Evans react when Chris tells him the family is watching them?
5. Why do the sisters stop dancing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think Michael means when he talks of a widening breach between what seemed to be and what was?
2. Why do you think young Michael felt unease rather than amusement or joy when his mother and aunts danced?
3. What does Maggie recollect about Bernie?
4. How has Chris brought shame upon the Mundy family?
5. Why does Kate become angry when Rose repeats the idea that twins are a double blessing?
6. We as readers are told that Rose is "simple." How does the playwright make that clear to the audience?
7. For what is the fox in the hen house a metaphor?
8. Why do you think the playwright chose to have adult Michael speak the lines of child Michael instead of having two actors?
9. Why do you think the opening tableau shows Uncle Jack in his "resplendent" uniform, which is out of place in the play's action?
10. How does Kate feel about Michael, and how can you tell?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)