|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maggie admire about Brian McGuinness?
(a) His white hands and long eyelashes.
(b) His blue eyes and curly hair.
(c) His military bearing.
(d) His straight nose and muscular shoulders.
2. Why do Maggie and Chris object to Rose seeing Danny Bradley?
(a) He's a drunk.
(b) He's handsome and they're jealous.
(c) He's married.
(d) He's a liar.
3. Why don't the Mundys speak of Uncle Jack when he is a chaplain for the British army?
(a) They are afraid of endangering Uncle Jack.
(b) They don't know where he was.
(c) They are angry with him.
(d) Kate is in the War of Independence against Britain.
4. What does Gerry Evans see at the Mundy house that he says is a bad omen?
(a) A vulture.
(b) A crow.
(c) A magpie.
(d) A black cat.
5. What dance do Bernie O'Donnell and Maggie compete in?
(a) The Military Two-step.
(b) The waltz.
(c) The polka.
(d) The jitterbug.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language has Uncle Jack been speaking for twenty-five years?
2. What does Gerry's customer take from him the day before yesterday?
3. What does Chris hear that Gerry Evans is doing in Dublin?
4. Which of the sisters dances alone?
5. Why is Michael disappointed in Uncle Jack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maggie mean when she tells Michael that someday he's going to fill some woman's life with happiness?
2. Why do you think Rose can describe the Festival of Lughnasa to her sisters?
3. We as readers are told that Rose is "simple." How does the playwright make that clear to the audience?
4. What does Maggie recollect about Bernie?
5. What significance does Austin Morgan have in this story?
6. Why do you think the parish priest doesn't want to look Kate in the eye since Uncle Jack came home?
7. How has Uncle Jack brought status to the Mundy family?
8. For what is the fox in the hen house a metaphor?
9. What is the difference between the way Kate dances and the dance of the other sisters?
10. Why do you think young Michael felt unease rather than amusement or joy when his mother and aunts danced?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)