|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chris do that Kate thinks sacrilegious?
(a) She turns the picture of the saints to the wall.
(b) She shows her legs when she dances.
(c) She takes the name of the Lord in vain.
(d) She wears the surplice she's been ironing.
2. What is Kate's nickname at school?
(a) The gander.
(b) The goose.
(c) The turkey.
(d) The mother hen.
3. Why does Rose dance in wellingtons?
(a) She can't get the wellingtons off.
(b) She has no other shoes.
(c) Her other shoes are for Sunday.
(d) The wellingtons are more comfortable.
4. When is La Lughnasa held in the old days?
(a) September thirtieth.
(b) August fifteenth.
(c) September first.
(d) August first.
5. What does Kate bring Chris from town because she is "far too pale?"
(b) Cod-liver oil.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the parish priest tell Kate she may lose her teaching job?
2. What does Gerry Evans see on the way to the Mundy house that he thinks is a good omen?
3. What feeling does the radio create in Michael?
4. Whose arrival throws the Mundy household into turmoil?
5. What does Chris want Michael to believe about his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the way Kate dances and the dance of the other sisters?
2. After Agnes blows Michael a kiss, she says it was the wrong thing to do. Why would it be the wrong thing to do?
3. What significance does Austin Morgan have in this story?
4. How has Uncle Jack brought status to the Mundy family?
5. What does Maggie recollect about Bernie?
6. We as readers are told that Rose is "simple." How does the playwright make that clear to the audience?
7. What does Maggie mean when she tells Michael that someday he's going to fill some woman's life with happiness?
8. What reasons does Kate use for refusing to go to the harvest dance?
9. How does Kate feel about Michael, and how can you tell?
10. How far do the Mundys live from the rest of the village, and what significance is there in that distance?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)