|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Wild Woodbine?
2. What does Gerry Evans see at the Mundy house that he says is a bad omen?
(a) A magpie.
(b) A black cat.
(c) A vulture.
(d) A crow.
3. What happens to the Sweeney boy at Lughnasa?
(a) He was burned in effigy.
(b) He was ridiculed.
(c) He caught fire.
(d) He was sent home for being too young.
4. Why does Kate object to going to the harvest dance?
(a) People will laugh at women their age dancing.
(b) People will laugh because they are awkward dancers.
(c) People will laugh at their clothes.
(d) People will laugh because they have no husbands.
5. What infuriates Agnes about Kate?
(a) Kate doesn't care about Michael.
(b) Kate judges Gerry Evans.
(c) Kate doesn't care about Chris's feelings.
(d) Kate is a gossip.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chris heat the iron for their clothes?
2. What does Kate call the people who live in the back hills?
3. How does Gerry Evans react when Chris tells him the family is watching them?
4. What does Gerry Evans think the radio is when he hears it?
5. Who is Okawa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Uncle Jack brought status to the Mundy family?
2. What do you think Michael means when he talks of a widening breach between what seemed to be and what was?
3. What is the difference between the way Kate dances and the dance of the other sisters?
4. The song Maggie sings says that if the Irish don't vote for De Valera, they'll be like Gandhi and his goat. What does this mean?
5. We as readers are told that Rose is "simple." How does the playwright make that clear to the audience?
6. From what does Kate struggle to protect her home when they joke about naming the radio?
7. When Irish music comes from the radio, which of the sisters begins to dance first, and in what mood does she dance?
8. What significance does Austin Morgan have in this story?
9. What does Agnes mean when she asks Chris, "Do you want to make a pagan of yourself?"
10. What does Maggie release for Michael to see?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)