|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gerry Evans seem to be able to do that no one else in the family can?
(a) Earn a living.
(b) Teach Michael to dance.
(c) Fix the radio.
(d) Fix a meal with only three eggs.
2. What does Michael say language surrenders to in music?
3. How long has Rose been gone when the sisters realize she is missing?
(a) All week.
(b) All day.
(c) Three days.
(d) Three hours.
4. What are the hand knitters in Ballybeg going to do?
(a) March to protest the new factory.
(b) Ride the bus to work in the factory in Donegal.
(c) Go on public assistance.
(d) Train for different work.
5. What does Uncle Jack remember the children had with scones but never with soda bread?
(d) Bilberry jam.
6. How is Gerry Evans wounded in Spain?
(a) He is disabled by mustard gas.
(b) He is shot.
(c) He is injured by a grenade.
(d) He falls off his motorbike.
7. How long does it take Michael to find Agnes and Rose?
(a) Twenty-five years.
(b) Two months.
(c) A year.
(d) All week.
8. What does Gerry Evans promise Michael during each annual visit?
(a) A bell for his bike.
(b) A trip to the city.
(c) A new bike.
(d) A trip to Spain.
9. Which sister is dead when Michael finds them?
(b) Neither was dead when Michael found them.
(d) Both were dead when Michael found them.
10. What skill does Gerry Evans have that the army wanted?
(a) He can make explosives.
(b) He can ride a motor bike.
(c) He can speak Spanish.
(d) He can fire a cannon.
11. What does Uncle Jack promise he'll do soon?
(a) Say Mass in the house.
(b) Walk four times a day.
(c) Go to the harvest festival.
(d) Teach a class on Ugandan customs.
12. When does Uncle Jack return to celebrating Mass?
(b) On Christmas Eve.
(c) The following Monday, as he promised.
(d) The following Sunday, as he promised.
13. What does Michael say the characters in the play respond to more than the beat of the music?
(a) The lyrics of the music.
(b) The sweetness of the music.
(c) The mood of the music.
(d) The enchantment of the music.
14. What does Gerry Evans offer Chris during each annual visit?
(b) A dance.
(c) A dinner out.
(d) A new bike.
15. Why does Gerry Evans say he is going to Spain?
(a) To earn a living for his family.
(b) To fight for democracy.
(c) To fight to preserve the union.
(d) It's somewhere to go.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris think is wrong with the radio?
2. Why does Kate think Agnes and Rose did not apply to work in the knitting factory?
3. When Uncle Jack says "we," to whom does he refer?
4. Why does Rose say she has to leave the berry picking early?
5. Where does Gerry Evans hide when Agnes comes back from picking blackberries?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)