|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Agnes and Rose when Michael finds them?
(d) New York.
2. When does Uncle Jack return to celebrating Mass?
(b) On Christmas Eve.
(c) The following Sunday, as he promised.
(d) The following Monday, as he promised.
3. Why can't Vera McLaughlin work in the new factory?
(a) She's too old.
(b) She's too slow.
(c) She's too young.
(d) She doesn't see well enough.
4. What does Kate say the radio has done to the country?
(a) Encouraged rowdiness.
(b) Helped people have fun.
(c) Killed Christian conversation.
(d) Destroyed family togetherness.
5. What is unusual about the recruiter of which Gerry Evans learns as he writes his name?
(a) The recruiter is blind.
(b) The recruiter has only one leg.
(c) The recruiter is a midget.
(d) The recruiter is crippled.
6. What does dancing become in Michael's memory?
(a) A wordless ceremony.
(b) A daydream.
(c) A form of exercise.
(d) A lost art.
7. What has Michael painted on the kites?
(a) White roosters.
(b) Cruel, garish faces.
(c) Sunny, happy faces.
(d) Forest animals.
8. What bad news does Chris have from Vera McLaughlin?
(a) The sisters will have to pay for their own wool.
(b) Vera McLaughlin is dissatisfied with the sisters' knitting.
(c) Vera McLaughlin won't pay as much for hand-made gloves.
(d) Vera McLaughlin won't be buying more hand-made gloves.
9. To whom does Maggie compare herself when she dances?
(a) Ann Miller.
(b) Mae West.
(c) Shirley Temple.
(d) Cyd Charisse.
10. What work does Kate find after leaving her teaching job?
(a) She has to apply at the knitting factory.
(b) She works as a dressmaker.
(c) She tutors Austin Morgan's family.
(d) She marries Austin Morgan.
11. What happened to Rose's pet rooster?
(a) It died mysteriously.
(b) Maggie killed it.
(c) Rose killed it.
(d) The fox killed it.
12. What does Michael say haunts his memory of the thirties?
(a) The love of his mother.
(b) The country atmosphere.
(c) The music.
(d) The personalities of his aunts.
13. What does Gerry Evans trade with Uncle Jack?
(c) Walking sticks.
14. How many eggs does Maggie have to feed the people over for dinner in Act 2?
15. What does Chris want Gerry Evans to do for the family?
(a) Fix the radio.
(b) Dance with the sisters.
(c) Write to them from Spain.
(d) Move in with them.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Chris say Michael always vanishes?
2. What does Gerry Evans offer Chris during each annual visit?
3. How many people are at the house for dinner in Act 2?
4. What is the first step in swapping possessions in Uncle Jack's village in Uganda?
5. What language does the recruiter for the Spanish army speak?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)