|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michael say haunts his memory of the thirties?
(a) The country atmosphere.
(b) The love of his mother.
(c) The personalities of his aunts.
(d) The music.
2. What skill does Gerry Evans have that the army wanted?
(a) He can speak Spanish.
(b) He can make explosives.
(c) He can fire a cannon.
(d) He can ride a motor bike.
3. What does Chris think is wrong with the radio?
(a) It's broken.
(b) It's possessed.
(c) It's old.
(d) It's improperly wired.
4. Where are Agnes and Rose when Michael finds them?
(c) New York.
5. Why does Rose say she has to leave the berry picking early?
(a) She says she is sleepy.
(b) She says she is sick.
(c) She says she has an appointment.
(d) She says she has to go to town.
6. Where does the other Michael Evans live?
7. How long does it take Michael to find Agnes and Rose?
(a) All week.
(b) A year.
(c) Twenty-five years.
(d) Two months.
8. What phrase comforts Kate when she thinks of Uncle Jack's pagan worship?
(a) "His own ecumenical understanding."
(b) "His way of bringing the world together."
(c) "His own distinctive spiritual search."
(d) "His own way of looking at the world."
9. To whom does Maggie compare herself when she dances?
(a) Cyd Charisse.
(b) Shirley Temple.
(c) Ann Miller.
(d) Mae West.
10. What is the result of Gerry Evans' war injury?
(a) He is unable to work.
(b) He is unable to walk.
(c) He is unable to dance.
(d) He is paralyzed.
11. What does Rose say happened to the boy who was burned at the Lughnasa festival?
(a) He will be paralyzed.
(b) He will be crippled.
(c) He's recovering.
(d) He died.
12. Why does Michael say the characters dance with their eyes half closed?
(a) The music makes them sleepy.
(b) The music bores them.
(c) Closing their eyes helps them to listen better.
(d) To open their eyes would break the spell.
13. When Uncle Jack says "we," to whom does he refer?
(a) The British.
(b) The family.
(c) The people in the leper colony.
(d) The Irish.
14. What is unusual about the recruiter of which Gerry Evans learns as he writes his name?
(a) The recruiter has only one leg.
(b) The recruiter is blind.
(c) The recruiter is a midget.
(d) The recruiter is crippled.
15. Which sister is dead when Michael finds them?
(c) Neither was dead when Michael found them.
(d) Both were dead when Michael found them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Vera McLaughlin work in the new factory?
2. What does Chris do when Gerry Evans dances with Agnes and Maggie?
3. What does Kate say the radio has done to the country?
4. Where does Gerry Evans sign up to join the Spanish army?
5. How many children does Gerry Evans have besides Michael?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)