|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Gerry Evans wounded in Spain?
(a) He is injured by a grenade.
(b) He is shot.
(c) He is disabled by mustard gas.
(d) He falls off his motorbike.
2. What does Chris want Gerry Evans to do for the family?
(a) Move in with them.
(b) Write to them from Spain.
(c) Fix the radio.
(d) Dance with the sisters.
3. When does Uncle Jack die?
(a) On the evening of his return home.
(b) On the eve of La Lughansa the year after his return.
(c) Within a month of his homecoming.
(d) On the eve of La Lughansa the month he returned.
4. What do Agnes and Rose tell the family not to do?
(a) "Don't try to find us."
(b) "Don't wait up for us."
(c) "Don't feel sorry for us."
(d) "Don't worry about us."
5. Who is Gerry Evans imitating when he leaves Ballybeg?
(a) Fred Astaire.
(b) Gene Kelly.
(c) Uncle Jack.
(d) Michael Jackson.
6. What does Gerry Evans trade with Uncle Jack?
(a) Walking sticks.
7. What are the hand knitters in Ballybeg going to do?
(a) Go on public assistance.
(b) Train for different work.
(c) Ride the bus to work in the factory in Donegal.
(d) March to protest the new factory.
8. When Uncle Jack says "we," to whom does he refer?
(a) The people in the leper colony.
(b) The British.
(c) The Irish.
(d) The family.
9. What does Michael say is found in dancing?
(a) Untapped emotions.
(b) The heart of life and all its hopes.
(c) Strong and unrecognized feelings.
(d) Unity and community.
10. Where are Agnes and Rose when Michael finds them?
(c) New York.
11. How does Uncle Jack feel about multiple wives for one husband?
(a) "I'm not sure that I'm against it."
(b) "I'm completely against it."
(c) "I'm completely in favor of it."
(d) "I'm getting used to it."
12. Why does Gerry Evans say he is going to Spain?
(a) It's somewhere to go.
(b) To earn a living for his family.
(c) To fight for democracy.
(d) To fight to preserve the union.
13. What does Gerry Evans think Agnes should do for a living?
(a) Knit gloves.
(b) Be a dressmaker.
(d) Teach dance.
14. When does Uncle Jack return to celebrating Mass?
(a) The following Sunday, as he promised.
(b) On Christmas Eve.
(d) The following Monday, as he promised.
15. Why does Rose laugh at Agnes while they are picking berries?
(a) Agnes tells her a joke.
(b) Agnes gets wet in the stream.
(c) Agnes falls into the bushes.
(d) Agnes makes faces at her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Michael painted on the kites?
2. How old is Michael when he receives the letter from the other Michael Evans?
3. Which sister does Gerry Evans dance with first?
4. Where does Gerry Evans sign up to join the Spanish army?
5. What happened to Rose's pet rooster?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)