|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Uncle Jack feel about multiple wives for one husband?
(a) "I'm not sure that I'm against it."
(b) "I'm completely against it."
(c) "I'm getting used to it."
(d) "I'm completely in favor of it."
2. Why can't Vera McLaughlin work in the new factory?
(a) She's too old.
(b) She doesn't see well enough.
(c) She's too young.
(d) She's too slow.
3. What does Chris want Gerry Evans to do for the family?
(a) Dance with the sisters.
(b) Fix the radio.
(c) Write to them from Spain.
(d) Move in with them.
4. Who does Rose share her picnic with?
(a) Gerry Evans.
(b) Brian McGuinness.
(c) Austin Morgan.
(d) Danny Bradley.
5. What household task does Maggie take from Agnes during Lughnasa?
(a) Feeding the chickens.
6. When Uncle Jack says "we," to whom does he refer?
(a) The people in the leper colony.
(b) The British.
(c) The Irish.
(d) The family.
7. Why is Gerry Evans in the tree in Act 2?
(a) He's rescuing Michael's kite.
(b) He's trying to trick Agnes.
(c) He's building a tree house for Michael.
(d) He's trying to fix the antenna.
8. When Uncle Jack speaks of Uganda, what does he call it?
(a) The community.
(d) The colony.
9. How does Maggie lighten the mood about the lack of food in the house?
(a) Maggie says there's plenty for all.
(b) Maggie says it's a nice challenge to a chef like her.
(c) Maggie says she's got a secret recipe.
(d) Maggie says they'll all be thinner.
10. Where are Agnes and Rose when Michael finds them?
(b) New York.
11. What work do Rose and Agnes do after they leave Ballybeg?
(a) Rose and Agnes never find work.
(b) Rose and Agnes knit for private companies.
(c) Rose and Agnes work as cleaning women.
(d) Rose and Agnes start a laundry service.
12. Why does Rose say she has to leave the berry picking early?
(a) She says she has an appointment.
(b) She says she has to go to town.
(c) She says she is sleepy.
(d) She says she is sick.
13. Which of the sisters would care that Austin Morgan is getting married?
14. What language does the recruiter for the Spanish army speak?
(a) English, from Armagh.
(b) Spanish, from Spain.
(c) Gaelic, from Ireland.
(d) Italian, from Europe.
15. What does dancing become in Michael's memory?
(a) A daydream.
(b) A lost art.
(c) A wordless ceremony.
(d) A form of exercise.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Michael when he receives the letter from the other Michael Evans?
2. Who does Uncle Jack worship during Mass in Uganda?
3. How many children does Gerry Evans have besides Michael?
4. How many husbands does Uncle Jack say he could provide the sisters in Ryanga?
5. Why does Michael think Agnes and Rose did not apply to work in the knitting factory?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)