|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kate think Agnes and Rose did not apply to work in the knitting factory?
(a) The sisters were not in robust health.
(b) Agnes was too notionate to work in a factory.
(c) The sisters had no transportation to the factory.
(d) The sisters could not read the instructions.
2. What does Kate say the radio has done to the country?
(a) Destroyed family togetherness.
(b) Killed Christian conversation.
(c) Helped people have fun.
(d) Encouraged rowdiness.
3. What do Agnes and Rose tell the family not to do?
(a) "Don't feel sorry for us."
(b) "Don't worry about us."
(c) "Don't try to find us."
(d) "Don't wait up for us."
4. How does Uncle Jack feel about multiple wives for one husband?
(a) "I'm not sure that I'm against it."
(b) "I'm getting used to it."
(c) "I'm completely against it."
(d) "I'm completely in favor of it."
5. Why does Maggie claim that Michael owes her money?
(a) She had given him money to buy her a cigarette.
(b) She had bet him his kites wouldn't fly.
(c) She had given him money to buy himself a treat.
(d) She had loaned him money to make his kites.
6. What does Uncle Jack remember the children had with scones but never with soda bread?
(d) Bilberry jam.
7. In Act 2, what does Maggie think Agnes should do to make a living?
(a) Travel to Dublin and look for work.
(b) Gather turf to sell.
(c) Start a dressmaking business.
(d) Go to work in the glove factory.
8. Which of the sisters takes over to organize the search for Rose?
9. What does Chris do when Gerry Evans dances with Agnes and Maggie?
(a) Sings along with the radio.
(b) Makes up her own dance.
(c) Turns the radio off.
(d) Joins in the dance.
10. Why does Michael say his kites haven't flown?
(a) Not enough wind.
(b) The kites aren't finished.
(c) The area is too crowded with trees.
(d) The kites need tails.
11. What are the hand knitters in Ballybeg going to do?
(a) Train for different work.
(b) March to protest the new factory.
(c) Go on public assistance.
(d) Ride the bus to work in the factory in Donegal.
12. What word does Kate use to describe Michael?
13. What work do Rose and Agnes do after they leave Ballybeg?
(a) Rose and Agnes knit for private companies.
(b) Rose and Agnes never find work.
(c) Rose and Agnes start a laundry service.
(d) Rose and Agnes work as cleaning women.
14. What does Michael say language surrenders to in music?
15. How many husbands does Uncle Jack say he could provide the sisters in Ryanga?
(a) One husband for four of them.
(b) One husband for each of them.
(c) One husband for all five of them.
(d) More than one husband for each of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Michael leave the family home when he is old enough?
2. How does Chris feel about her job?
3. How does Chris earn her living after Uncle Jack dies?
4. What does Rose say happened to the boy who was burned at the Lughnasa festival?
5. What happened to Rose's pet rooster?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)