|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chris want Gerry Evans to do for the family?
(a) Dance with the sisters.
(b) Fix the radio.
(c) Write to them from Spain.
(d) Move in with them.
2. How many children does Gerry Evans have besides Michael?
3. Why does Rose laugh at Agnes while they are picking berries?
(a) Agnes falls into the bushes.
(b) Agnes tells her a joke.
(c) Agnes makes faces at her.
(d) Agnes gets wet in the stream.
4. What skill does Gerry Evans have that the army wanted?
(a) He can speak Spanish.
(b) He can fire a cannon.
(c) He can make explosives.
(d) He can ride a motor bike.
5. Why does Gerry Evans say he is going to Spain?
(a) To fight for democracy.
(b) To fight to preserve the union.
(c) To earn a living for his family.
(d) It's somewhere to go.
6. How many husbands does Uncle Jack say he could provide the sisters in Ryanga?
(a) One husband for all five of them.
(b) More than one husband for each of them.
(c) One husband for four of them.
(d) One husband for each of them.
7. Where does Gerry Evans hide when Agnes comes back from picking blackberries?
(a) Under the table.
(b) On top of the sycamore tree.
(c) In the bushes in front of the house.
(d) Behind the door.
8. What does Chris think is wrong with the radio?
(a) It's possessed.
(b) It's old.
(c) It's broken.
(d) It's improperly wired.
9. What phrase comforts Kate when she thinks of Uncle Jack's pagan worship?
(a) "His own ecumenical understanding."
(b) "His own way of looking at the world."
(c) "His own distinctive spiritual search."
(d) "His way of bringing the world together."
10. What does Uncle Jack think is good about the multiple-wife system?
(a) Everybody helps everybody else.
(b) There are no spinsters.
(c) It prevents jealousy and spite.
(d) There are more children.
11. What does Michael say is found in dancing?
(a) Unity and community.
(b) Untapped emotions.
(c) The heart of life and all its hopes.
(d) Strong and unrecognized feelings.
12. What does Chris do when Gerry Evans dances with Agnes and Maggie?
(a) Makes up her own dance.
(b) Sings along with the radio.
(c) Turns the radio off.
(d) Joins in the dance.
13. When Uncle Jack speaks of Uganda, what does he call it?
(a) The community.
(c) The colony.
14. Where are Agnes and Rose when Michael finds them?
(b) New York.
15. How does Chris earn her living after Uncle Jack dies?
(a) She opens a dressmaker's shop.
(b) Knitting at home.
(c) In the knitting factory.
(d) She opens a dancing school.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Chris say Michael always vanishes?
2. How old is Michael when he receives the letter from the other Michael Evans?
3. Why is Kate offended at Uncle Jack's talk of multiple wives?
4. What does Gerry Evans think Agnes should do for a living?
5. What does Gerry Evans seem to be able to do that no one else in the family can?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)