|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chris earn her living after Uncle Jack dies?
(a) She opens a dancing school.
(b) In the knitting factory.
(c) Knitting at home.
(d) She opens a dressmaker's shop.
2. When does Chris say Michael always vanishes?
(a) When there's work to be done.
(b) When it's dinnertime.
(c) When it's time to feed the chickens.
(d) When it's bedtime.
3. When does Uncle Jack return to celebrating Mass?
(a) The following Sunday, as he promised.
(b) On Christmas Eve.
(c) The following Monday, as he promised.
4. Which sister does Gerry Evans dance with first?
5. What does Gerry Evans trade with Uncle Jack?
(b) Walking sticks.
6. What bad news does Chris have from Vera McLaughlin?
(a) Vera McLaughlin won't pay as much for hand-made gloves.
(b) Vera McLaughlin won't be buying more hand-made gloves.
(c) The sisters will have to pay for their own wool.
(d) Vera McLaughlin is dissatisfied with the sisters' knitting.
7. How long does it take Michael to find Agnes and Rose?
(a) All week.
(b) A year.
(c) Two months.
(d) Twenty-five years.
8. Why can't Vera McLaughlin work in the new factory?
(a) She doesn't see well enough.
(b) She's too slow.
(c) She's too young.
(d) She's too old.
9. Why does Michael say his kites haven't flown?
(a) The area is too crowded with trees.
(b) The kites need tails.
(c) The kites aren't finished.
(d) Not enough wind.
10. What phrase comforts Kate when she thinks of Uncle Jack's pagan worship?
(a) "His own distinctive spiritual search."
(b) "His way of bringing the world together."
(c) "His own way of looking at the world."
(d) "His own ecumenical understanding."
11. What are the hand knitters in Ballybeg going to do?
(a) March to protest the new factory.
(b) Ride the bus to work in the factory in Donegal.
(c) Train for different work.
(d) Go on public assistance.
12. Where does the other Michael Evans live?
13. How old is Michael when he receives the letter from the other Michael Evans?
14. What does Maggie say she would choose if she had to select either a plump old widower or one Wild Woodbine?
(b) The Wild Woodbine.
(c) The plump old widower.
15. How long has Rose been gone when the sisters realize she is missing?
(a) All day.
(b) Three days.
(c) Three hours.
(d) All week.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerry Evans think Agnes should do for a living?
2. What do Agnes and Rose tell the family not to do?
3. What is the first step in swapping possessions in Uncle Jack's village in Uganda?
4. What does dancing become in Michael's memory?
5. What does Gerry Evans offer Chris during each annual visit?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)