|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Vera McLaughlin work in the new factory?
(a) She's too slow.
(b) She doesn't see well enough.
(c) She's too old.
(d) She's too young.
2. How many eggs does Maggie have to feed the people over for dinner in Act 2?
3. How many children does Gerry Evans have besides Michael?
4. What word does Kate use to describe Michael?
5. Why is Kate offended at Uncle Jack's talk of multiple wives?
(a) The neighbors would not approve.
(b) The parish priest would not approve.
(c) Their mother would not have approved.
(d) The pope would not approve.
6. What does dancing become in Michael's memory?
(a) A wordless ceremony.
(b) A form of exercise.
(c) A lost art.
(d) A daydream.
7. How does Chris feel about her job?
(a) She hates every minute of it.
(b) She is bored by every minute of it.
(c) She loves every minute of it.
(d) She is grateful for every minute of it.
8. Why does Michael say the characters dance with their eyes half closed?
(a) The music bores them.
(b) To open their eyes would break the spell.
(c) The music makes them sleepy.
(d) Closing their eyes helps them to listen better.
9. What does Gerry Evans say they need to check if the aerial is all right but the radio still won't work?
(a) The dials.
(b) The battery.
(c) The ignition.
(d) The electric cord.
10. What does Maggie think Michael should do instead of write?
(a) Run around outside.
(d) Fly his kites.
11. Why does Michael say his kites haven't flown?
(a) Not enough wind.
(b) The kites aren't finished.
(c) The kites need tails.
(d) The area is too crowded with trees.
12. In Act 2, what does Maggie think Agnes should do to make a living?
(a) Start a dressmaking business.
(b) Travel to Dublin and look for work.
(c) Go to work in the glove factory.
(d) Gather turf to sell.
13. How is Gerry Evans wounded in Spain?
(a) He is shot.
(b) He is injured by a grenade.
(c) He falls off his motorbike.
(d) He is disabled by mustard gas.
14. When does Gerry Evans stop visiting the Mundys?
(a) During World War II.
(b) After 1950.
(c) Before 1939.
(d) In 1936.
15. What does Chris do when Gerry Evans dances with Agnes and Maggie?
(a) Sings along with the radio.
(b) Makes up her own dance.
(c) Joins in the dance.
(d) Turns the radio off.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerry Evans promise Michael during each annual visit?
2. Who is Gerry Evans imitating when he leaves Ballybeg?
3. Why does Gerry Evans say he is going to Spain?
4. Why does Kate think Agnes and Rose did not apply to work in the knitting factory?
5. How does Maggie lighten the mood about the lack of food in the house?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)