|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gerry Evans trade with Uncle Jack?
(d) Walking sticks.
2. Where are Agnes and Rose when Michael finds them?
(d) New York.
3. What bad news does Chris have from Vera McLaughlin?
(a) Vera McLaughlin won't pay as much for hand-made gloves.
(b) Vera McLaughlin is dissatisfied with the sisters' knitting.
(c) The sisters will have to pay for their own wool.
(d) Vera McLaughlin won't be buying more hand-made gloves.
4. Why does Kate think Agnes and Rose did not apply to work in the knitting factory?
(a) The sisters had no transportation to the factory.
(b) The sisters could not read the instructions.
(c) The sisters were not in robust health.
(d) Agnes was too notionate to work in a factory.
5. How many eggs does Maggie have to feed the people over for dinner in Act 2?
6. How does Uncle Jack feel about multiple wives for one husband?
(a) "I'm not sure that I'm against it."
(b) "I'm completely in favor of it."
(c) "I'm completely against it."
(d) "I'm getting used to it."
7. Why does Rose say she has to leave the berry picking early?
(a) She says she has an appointment.
(b) She says she is sick.
(c) She says she is sleepy.
(d) She says she has to go to town.
8. What does Gerry Evans promise Michael during each annual visit?
(a) A trip to Spain.
(b) A trip to the city.
(c) A new bike.
(d) A bell for his bike.
9. What do Agnes and Rose tell the family not to do?
(a) "Don't feel sorry for us."
(b) "Don't worry about us."
(c) "Don't wait up for us."
(d) "Don't try to find us."
10. What work do Rose and Agnes do after they leave Ballybeg?
(a) Rose and Agnes work as cleaning women.
(b) Rose and Agnes knit for private companies.
(c) Rose and Agnes start a laundry service.
(d) Rose and Agnes never find work.
11. When does Chris say Michael always vanishes?
(a) When it's dinnertime.
(b) When there's work to be done.
(c) When it's bedtime.
(d) When it's time to feed the chickens.
12. What skill does Gerry Evans have that the army wanted?
(a) He can speak Spanish.
(b) He can make explosives.
(c) He can fire a cannon.
(d) He can ride a motor bike.
13. When does Uncle Jack die?
(a) Within a month of his homecoming.
(b) On the eve of La Lughansa the month he returned.
(c) On the eve of La Lughansa the year after his return.
(d) On the evening of his return home.
14. Who does Uncle Jack worship during Mass in Uganda?
(a) Obi, the goddess of the earth.
(b) The god of casava.
(c) The Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
(d) The god of yams and wine.
15. What is unusual about the recruiter of which Gerry Evans learns as he writes his name?
(a) The recruiter is crippled.
(b) The recruiter is a midget.
(c) The recruiter is blind.
(d) The recruiter has only one leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first step in swapping possessions in Uncle Jack's village in Uganda?
2. How does Chris earn her living after Uncle Jack dies?
3. Who is Gerry Evans imitating when he leaves Ballybeg?
4. What does Gerry Evans seem to be able to do that no one else in the family can?
5. What popular song does Gerry Evans dance to with the sisters in Act 2?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)