|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What work do Rose and Agnes do after they leave Ballybeg?
(a) Rose and Agnes work as cleaning women.
(b) Rose and Agnes never find work.
(c) Rose and Agnes start a laundry service.
(d) Rose and Agnes knit for private companies.
2. Which of the sisters would care that Austin Morgan is getting married?
3. When Uncle Jack speaks of Uganda, what does he call it?
(a) The community.
(c) The colony.
4. What does Chris do when Gerry Evans dances with Agnes and Maggie?
(a) Joins in the dance.
(b) Turns the radio off.
(c) Makes up her own dance.
(d) Sings along with the radio.
5. What does Uncle Jack think is good about the multiple-wife system?
(a) There are more children.
(b) There are no spinsters.
(c) Everybody helps everybody else.
(d) It prevents jealousy and spite.
6. What does Uncle Jack promise he'll do soon?
(a) Go to the harvest festival.
(b) Teach a class on Ugandan customs.
(c) Say Mass in the house.
(d) Walk four times a day.
7. What happened to Rose's pet rooster?
(a) Maggie killed it.
(b) It died mysteriously.
(c) The fox killed it.
(d) Rose killed it.
8. Why does Maggie claim that Michael owes her money?
(a) She had loaned him money to make his kites.
(b) She had given him money to buy himself a treat.
(c) She had bet him his kites wouldn't fly.
(d) She had given him money to buy her a cigarette.
9. What household task does Maggie take from Agnes during Lughnasa?
(a) Feeding the chickens.
10. What does Chris want Gerry Evans to do for the family?
(a) Write to them from Spain.
(b) Dance with the sisters.
(c) Fix the radio.
(d) Move in with them.
11. What does Uncle Jack remember the children had with scones but never with soda bread?
(b) Bilberry jam.
12. What does Gerry Evans think Agnes should do for a living?
(b) Be a dressmaker.
(c) Teach dance.
(d) Knit gloves.
13. What has Michael painted on the kites?
(a) Forest animals.
(b) White roosters.
(c) Sunny, happy faces.
(d) Cruel, garish faces.
14. What does Michael say the characters in the play respond to more than the beat of the music?
(a) The enchantment of the music.
(b) The sweetness of the music.
(c) The lyrics of the music.
(d) The mood of the music.
15. When does Michael get a letter from another Michael Evans?
(a) In the mid-fifties.
(b) In the mid-thirties.
(c) In the mid-forties.
(d) In 1960.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bad news does Chris have from Vera McLaughlin?
2. Why does Kate think Agnes and Rose did not apply to work in the knitting factory?
3. Who does Uncle Jack worship during Mass in Uganda?
4. What is the first step in swapping possessions in Uncle Jack's village in Uganda?
5. Which sister does Gerry Evans dance with first?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)