|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bad news does Chris have from Vera McLaughlin?
(a) The sisters will have to pay for their own wool.
(b) Vera McLaughlin won't be buying more hand-made gloves.
(c) Vera McLaughlin is dissatisfied with the sisters' knitting.
(d) Vera McLaughlin won't pay as much for hand-made gloves.
2. What does Maggie forget at the end of the play?
(a) The steps to a dance.
(b) The words to a song.
(c) The answer to a riddle.
(d) The recipe for Eggs Ballybeg.
3. What does Chris do when Gerry Evans dances with Agnes and Maggie?
(a) Makes up her own dance.
(b) Joins in the dance.
(c) Turns the radio off.
(d) Sings along with the radio.
4. What is the result of Gerry Evans' war injury?
(a) He is paralyzed.
(b) He is unable to dance.
(c) He is unable to work.
(d) He is unable to walk.
5. Why does Rose laugh at Agnes while they are picking berries?
(a) Agnes gets wet in the stream.
(b) Agnes falls into the bushes.
(c) Agnes makes faces at her.
(d) Agnes tells her a joke.
6. What does Michael say language surrenders to in music?
7. Why does Kate object to Gerry Evans going to Spain?
(a) He'll be fighting allies of Ireland.
(b) He'll be putting their income at risk.
(c) He'll be fighting for democracy.
(d) He'll be fighting for godless Communism.
8. What does Gerry Evans promise Michael during each annual visit?
(a) A trip to Spain.
(b) A trip to the city.
(c) A bell for his bike.
(d) A new bike.
9. How does Chris earn her living after Uncle Jack dies?
(a) She opens a dancing school.
(b) She opens a dressmaker's shop.
(c) Knitting at home.
(d) In the knitting factory.
10. What does Kate say the radio has done to the country?
(a) Helped people have fun.
(b) Destroyed family togetherness.
(c) Killed Christian conversation.
(d) Encouraged rowdiness.
11. What does Gerry Evans have that Chris and Rose doesn't know about?
(a) A fortune.
(b) A secret illness.
(c) A wife and family.
(d) A baronial estate.
12. Which sister is dead when Michael finds them?
(a) Neither was dead when Michael found them.
(b) Both were dead when Michael found them.
13. Why is Kate offended at Uncle Jack's talk of multiple wives?
(a) The pope would not approve.
(b) The parish priest would not approve.
(c) The neighbors would not approve.
(d) Their mother would not have approved.
14. What work does Kate find after leaving her teaching job?
(a) She tutors Austin Morgan's family.
(b) She marries Austin Morgan.
(c) She works as a dressmaker.
(d) She has to apply at the knitting factory.
15. Why does Rose say she has to leave the berry picking early?
(a) She says she has to go to town.
(b) She says she is sleepy.
(c) She says she is sick.
(d) She says she has an appointment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rose wear that is unusual for berry picking?
2. Which of the sisters would care that Austin Morgan is getting married?
3. What is unusual about the recruiter of which Gerry Evans learns as he writes his name?
4. What language does the recruiter for the Spanish army speak?
5. Which sister does Gerry Evans dance with first?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)