|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Rose's pet rooster?
(a) Maggie killed it.
(b) It died mysteriously.
(c) Rose killed it.
(d) The fox killed it.
2. How long has Rose been gone when the sisters realize she is missing?
(a) All week.
(b) All day.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Three days.
3. What does Uncle Jack promise he'll do soon?
(a) Go to the harvest festival.
(b) Say Mass in the house.
(c) Walk four times a day.
(d) Teach a class on Ugandan customs.
4. How does Uncle Jack feel about multiple wives for one husband?
(a) "I'm getting used to it."
(b) "I'm completely in favor of it."
(c) "I'm not sure that I'm against it."
(d) "I'm completely against it."
5. When Uncle Jack says "we," to whom does he refer?
(a) The family.
(b) The British.
(c) The people in the leper colony.
(d) The Irish.
6. Why does Rose say she has to leave the berry picking early?
(a) She says she is sleepy.
(b) She says she is sick.
(c) She says she has to go to town.
(d) She says she has an appointment.
7. Why does Maggie claim that Michael owes her money?
(a) She had bet him his kites wouldn't fly.
(b) She had given him money to buy himself a treat.
(c) She had loaned him money to make his kites.
(d) She had given him money to buy her a cigarette.
8. Why does Michael think Agnes and Rose did not apply to work in the knitting factory?
(a) Rose and Agnes were tired of knitting gloves.
(b) Agnes would not have been hired at the factory.
(c) Rose would not have been hired at the factory.
(d) Neither sister would have been hired at the factory.
9. How does Maggie lighten the mood about the lack of food in the house?
(a) Maggie says she's got a secret recipe.
(b) Maggie says it's a nice challenge to a chef like her.
(c) Maggie says there's plenty for all.
(d) Maggie says they'll all be thinner.
10. What work do Rose and Agnes do after they leave Ballybeg?
(a) Rose and Agnes work as cleaning women.
(b) Rose and Agnes knit for private companies.
(c) Rose and Agnes never find work.
(d) Rose and Agnes start a laundry service.
11. What does Michael say language surrenders to in music?
12. Which of the sisters would care that Austin Morgan is getting married?
13. What household task does Maggie take from Agnes during Lughnasa?
(c) Feeding the chickens.
14. What does Michael say haunts his memory of the thirties?
(a) The love of his mother.
(b) The country atmosphere.
(c) The music.
(d) The personalities of his aunts.
15. How is Gerry Evans wounded in Spain?
(a) He falls off his motorbike.
(b) He is injured by a grenade.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He is disabled by mustard gas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerry Evans seem to be able to do that no one else in the family can?
2. What does dancing become in Michael's memory?
3. What word does Kate use to describe Michael?
4. What phrase comforts Kate when she thinks of Uncle Jack's pagan worship?
5. How does Maggie feel about Michael's kites?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)