|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uncle Jack remember the children had with scones but never with soda bread?
(a) Bilberry jam.
2. Who does Uncle Jack say brought a woman back from the dead?
(a) The Holy Ghost.
(b) The parish priest.
(c) A medicine man.
(d) God, the Father.
3. Which sister is dead when Michael finds them?
(c) Neither was dead when Michael found them.
(d) Both were dead when Michael found them.
4. What does Gerry Evans offer Chris during each annual visit?
(a) A dinner out.
(b) A new bike.
(c) A dance.
5. What is Michael writing to ask from Santa Claus?
(a) A bicycle.
(b) A bell.
(c) A radio.
(d) A kite.
6. How does Chris earn her living after Uncle Jack dies?
(a) In the knitting factory.
(b) She opens a dancing school.
(c) Knitting at home.
(d) She opens a dressmaker's shop.
7. Why does Maggie claim that Michael owes her money?
(a) She had bet him his kites wouldn't fly.
(b) She had given him money to buy himself a treat.
(c) She had given him money to buy her a cigarette.
(d) She had loaned him money to make his kites.
8. What work do Rose and Agnes do after they leave Ballybeg?
(a) Rose and Agnes never find work.
(b) Rose and Agnes knit for private companies.
(c) Rose and Agnes start a laundry service.
(d) Rose and Agnes work as cleaning women.
9. To whom does Maggie compare herself when she dances?
(a) Mae West.
(b) Ann Miller.
(c) Cyd Charisse.
(d) Shirley Temple.
10. Which of the sisters takes over to organize the search for Rose?
11. What word does Kate use to describe Michael?
12. When does Michael get a letter from another Michael Evans?
(a) In 1960.
(b) In the mid-forties.
(c) In the mid-thirties.
(d) In the mid-fifties.
13. In Act 2, what does Maggie think Agnes should do to make a living?
(a) Travel to Dublin and look for work.
(b) Start a dressmaking business.
(c) Gather turf to sell.
(d) Go to work in the glove factory.
14. When Uncle Jack says "we," to whom does he refer?
(a) The Irish.
(b) The family.
(c) The people in the leper colony.
(d) The British.
15. Why does Michael leave the family home when he is old enough?
(a) He has to travel for an education.
(b) The spirit and fun is gone.
(c) He gets a job that takes him away.
(d) He is the last one left in the home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maggie think Michael should do instead of write?
2. What is the first step in swapping possessions in Uncle Jack's village in Uganda?
3. What popular song does Gerry Evans dance to with the sisters in Act 2?
4. When does Gerry Evans stop visiting the Mundys?
5. What does Gerry Evans think Agnes should do for a living?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)