|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rose say happened to the boy who was burned at the Lughnasa festival?
(a) He will be crippled.
(b) He's recovering.
(c) He will be paralyzed.
(d) He died.
2. What does Kate say the radio has done to the country?
(a) Helped people have fun.
(b) Killed Christian conversation.
(c) Destroyed family togetherness.
(d) Encouraged rowdiness.
3. What does Gerry Evans say they need to check if the aerial is all right but the radio still won't work?
(a) The ignition.
(b) The battery.
(c) The dials.
(d) The electric cord.
4. To whom does Maggie compare herself when she dances?
(a) Ann Miller.
(b) Cyd Charisse.
(c) Mae West.
(d) Shirley Temple.
5. How does Uncle Jack feel about multiple wives for one husband?
(a) "I'm completely in favor of it."
(b) "I'm completely against it."
(c) "I'm getting used to it."
(d) "I'm not sure that I'm against it."
6. How many husbands does Uncle Jack say he could provide the sisters in Ryanga?
(a) One husband for all five of them.
(b) One husband for four of them.
(c) More than one husband for each of them.
(d) One husband for each of them.
7. What does Michael say the characters in the play respond to more than the beat of the music?
(a) The sweetness of the music.
(b) The lyrics of the music.
(c) The enchantment of the music.
(d) The mood of the music.
8. What phrase comforts Kate when she thinks of Uncle Jack's pagan worship?
(a) "His own ecumenical understanding."
(b) "His own distinctive spiritual search."
(c) "His way of bringing the world together."
(d) "His own way of looking at the world."
9. How does Maggie feel about Michael's kites?
(a) She hates them.
(b) She is proud of them.
(c) She is amused by them.
(d) She loves them.
10. When Uncle Jack speaks of Uganda, what does he call it?
(b) The community.
(c) The colony.
11. Which sister is dead when Michael finds them?
(a) Neither was dead when Michael found them.
(b) Both were dead when Michael found them.
12. What does Uncle Jack remember the children had with scones but never with soda bread?
(a) Bilberry jam.
13. What work does Kate find after leaving her teaching job?
(a) She marries Austin Morgan.
(b) She tutors Austin Morgan's family.
(c) She has to apply at the knitting factory.
(d) She works as a dressmaker.
14. What happened to Rose's pet rooster?
(a) Rose killed it.
(b) It died mysteriously.
(c) Maggie killed it.
(d) The fox killed it.
15. Why does Michael say the characters dance with their eyes half closed?
(a) To open their eyes would break the spell.
(b) The music makes them sleepy.
(c) The music bores them.
(d) Closing their eyes helps them to listen better.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does the recruiter for the Spanish army speak?
2. Which sister does Gerry Evans dance with first?
3. What are the hand knitters in Ballybeg going to do?
4. Which of the sisters takes over to organize the search for Rose?
5. Where does Gerry Evans sign up to join the Spanish army?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)