|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What work do Rose and Agnes do after they leave Ballybeg?
(a) Rose and Agnes knit for private companies.
(b) Rose and Agnes work as cleaning women.
(c) Rose and Agnes never find work.
(d) Rose and Agnes start a laundry service.
2. Where does the other Michael Evans live?
3. When does Uncle Jack return to celebrating Mass?
(a) The following Sunday, as he promised.
(b) On Christmas Eve.
(d) The following Monday, as he promised.
4. What language does the recruiter for the Spanish army speak?
(a) Gaelic, from Ireland.
(b) English, from Armagh.
(c) Spanish, from Spain.
(d) Italian, from Europe.
5. What does Maggie think Michael should do instead of write?
(c) Fly his kites.
(d) Run around outside.
6. What does Gerry Evans have that Chris and Rose doesn't know about?
(a) A secret illness.
(b) A baronial estate.
(c) A fortune.
(d) A wife and family.
7. What role does Gerry Evans love to play?
(b) Disabled war veteran.
(c) Fast-talking salesman.
(d) Returning hero.
8. Where are Agnes and Rose when Michael finds them?
(a) New York.
9. Why does Michael say the characters dance with their eyes half closed?
(a) The music makes them sleepy.
(b) To open their eyes would break the spell.
(c) Closing their eyes helps them to listen better.
(d) The music bores them.
10. When does Michael get a letter from another Michael Evans?
(a) In the mid-thirties.
(b) In the mid-forties.
(c) In 1960.
(d) In the mid-fifties.
11. Why does Rose laugh at Agnes while they are picking berries?
(a) Agnes tells her a joke.
(b) Agnes gets wet in the stream.
(c) Agnes falls into the bushes.
(d) Agnes makes faces at her.
12. What does Chris do when Gerry Evans dances with Agnes and Maggie?
(a) Joins in the dance.
(b) Sings along with the radio.
(c) Turns the radio off.
(d) Makes up her own dance.
13. Why does Maggie claim that Michael owes her money?
(a) She had given him money to buy her a cigarette.
(b) She had loaned him money to make his kites.
(c) She had bet him his kites wouldn't fly.
(d) She had given him money to buy himself a treat.
14. How does Chris feel about her job?
(a) She is grateful for every minute of it.
(b) She is bored by every minute of it.
(c) She hates every minute of it.
(d) She loves every minute of it.
15. Why does Michael leave the family home when he is old enough?
(a) He is the last one left in the home.
(b) The spirit and fun is gone.
(c) He gets a job that takes him away.
(d) He has to travel for an education.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maggie say she would choose if she had to select either a plump old widower or one Wild Woodbine?
2. Who does Uncle Jack worship during Mass in Uganda?
3. Which sister does Gerry Evans dance with first?
4. What does Michael say haunts his memory of the thirties?
5. What does Michael say language surrenders to in music?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)