|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What work does Kate find after leaving her teaching job?
(a) She marries Austin Morgan.
(b) She tutors Austin Morgan's family.
(c) She has to apply at the knitting factory.
(d) She works as a dressmaker.
2. Why does Michael say his kites haven't flown?
(a) The area is too crowded with trees.
(b) Not enough wind.
(c) The kites need tails.
(d) The kites aren't finished.
3. How many children does Gerry Evans have besides Michael?
4. How is Gerry Evans wounded in Spain?
(a) He is disabled by mustard gas.
(b) He is injured by a grenade.
(c) He falls off his motorbike.
(d) He is shot.
5. Why does Gerry Evans say he is going to Spain?
(a) To fight to preserve the union.
(b) To earn a living for his family.
(c) To fight for democracy.
(d) It's somewhere to go.
6. Why does Michael leave the family home when he is old enough?
(a) He has to travel for an education.
(b) He is the last one left in the home.
(c) He gets a job that takes him away.
(d) The spirit and fun is gone.
7. What does Maggie think Michael should do instead of write?
(a) Fly his kites.
(c) Run around outside.
8. Why does Maggie claim that Michael owes her money?
(a) She had bet him his kites wouldn't fly.
(b) She had given him money to buy her a cigarette.
(c) She had loaned him money to make his kites.
(d) She had given him money to buy himself a treat.
9. What happened to Rose's pet rooster?
(a) The fox killed it.
(b) Rose killed it.
(c) Maggie killed it.
(d) It died mysteriously.
10. What does Maggie forget at the end of the play?
(a) The answer to a riddle.
(b) The steps to a dance.
(c) The recipe for Eggs Ballybeg.
(d) The words to a song.
11. When Uncle Jack speaks of Uganda, what does he call it?
(b) The community.
(c) The colony.
12. What does Gerry Evans promise Michael during each annual visit?
(a) A bell for his bike.
(b) A trip to the city.
(c) A new bike.
(d) A trip to Spain.
13. What phrase comforts Kate when she thinks of Uncle Jack's pagan worship?
(a) "His own ecumenical understanding."
(b) "His own way of looking at the world."
(c) "His own distinctive spiritual search."
(d) "His way of bringing the world together."
14. How many eggs does Maggie have to feed the people over for dinner in Act 2?
15. Which sister does Gerry Evans dance with first?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the sisters takes over to organize the search for Rose?
2. How many people are at the house for dinner in Act 2?
3. What does Gerry Evans seem to be able to do that no one else in the family can?
4. What does Michael say the characters in the play respond to more than the beat of the music?
5. When does Gerry Evans stop visiting the Mundys?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)