|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the village where the Mundys live?
2. How does Kate identify Gerry Evans?
(a) Gerry Evans is tall and handsome.
(b) Gerry Evans has a walking stick and a straw hat.
(c) Gerry Evans carries a suitcase of goods to sell.
(d) Gerry Evans is riding a bicycle.
3. What animals does Maggie feed?
4. What does Gerry Evans think the radio is when he hears it?
(a) A recording.
(b) A gramophone.
(c) A wireless.
(d) A piano.
5. What worries Kate most about losing her job?
(a) What will become of Rose?
(b) What will become of the sisters?
(c) What will become of their reputation.
(d) What will become of Uncle Jack?
6. What shame does Chris bring on the family years before?
(a) She has Michael out of wedlock.
(b) She has fought for the British.
(c) She has stolen food for the family.
(d) She has married a Briton.
7. Why do the sisters stop dancing?
(a) They are embarrassed.
(b) The radio quits.
(c) They are worn out.
(d) Uncle Jack stops them.
8. What is the population of Balleybeg looking forward to?
(a) The harvest parade.
(b) The harvest dance.
(c) The harvest picnic.
(d) The harvest potluck.
9. What does Gerry Evans see on the way to the Mundy house that he thinks is a good omen?
(a) A cow with one horn.
(b) A unicorn.
(c) A customer for his gramophones.
(d) A leprechaun.
10. What is Kate determined to do this winter?
(a) Start riding the horse to town.
(b) Fix up the old bicycle and learn to ride it.
(c) Save enough money to buy a car.
(d) Take the bus to town.
11. What is Michael building in the yard?
(a) A birdhouse.
(b) A treehouse.
(d) A fort.
12. What unusual stage convention involves the boy Michael?
(a) The boy Michael narrates the play.
(b) The boy Michael is silent.
(c) The boy Michael is played by an adult.
(d) The boy Michael is invisible, and his lines are said by adult Michael.
13. What is the "double blessing" Bernie O'Donnell has?
(a) Twice as much money.
(b) Twin girls.
(c) Twin boys.
(d) Citizenship in two countries.
14. What is the first thing the Mundys listen to on the radio?
(a) Irish news.
(b) Irish dance music.
(c) British news.
(d) British dance music.
15. How long has Uncle Jack been gone?
(a) Twenty-five years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Gerry Evans been away?
2. What superstition does Maggie believe?
3. What do the Mundy sisters name their radio?
4. What does Chris want Michael to believe about his father?
5. Why is Michael disappointed in Uncle Jack?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)