|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kate call the people who live in the back hills?
2. How do the sisters feel about Uncle Jack while he is in the leper colony?
(a) He is a mystery to them.
(b) He is a shame and a disgrace to them.
(c) He is cut off from them.
(d) He is a hero and a saint to them.
3. What does Maggie call Michael?
4. What does the Donegal Enquirer call Uncle Jack?
(a) A disgrace to our country.
(b) Our own leper priest.
(c) Our own traitor.
(d) A hero to all Ireland.
5. What is Kate's nickname at school?
(a) The goose.
(b) The gander.
(c) The mother hen.
(d) The turkey.
6. In what year does Dancing at Lughnasa take place?
7. Why does Maggie worry when Michael can't be seen?
(a) He could go into town.
(b) He could go to the woods.
(c) He could go to the old well.
(d) He could go to the back hills.
8. Which of the sisters refuses to watch Chris dancing with Gerry Evans?
9. Whose arrival throws the Mundy household into turmoil?
(a) Gerry Evans.
(c) Bernie O'Donnell.
(d) Uncle Jack.
10. Why don't the Mundys speak of Uncle Jack when he is a chaplain for the British army?
(a) They are angry with him.
(b) They don't know where he was.
(c) They are afraid of endangering Uncle Jack.
(d) Kate is in the War of Independence against Britain.
11. What worries Kate most about losing her job?
(a) What will become of Rose?
(b) What will become of the sisters?
(c) What will become of their reputation.
(d) What will become of Uncle Jack?
12. How does Kate identify Gerry Evans?
(a) Gerry Evans is tall and handsome.
(b) Gerry Evans is riding a bicycle.
(c) Gerry Evans carries a suitcase of goods to sell.
(d) Gerry Evans has a walking stick and a straw hat.
13. Why do Maggie and Chris object to Rose seeing Danny Bradley?
(a) He's a drunk.
(b) He's handsome and they're jealous.
(c) He's a liar.
(d) He's married.
14. What does Maggie like to ask Michael?
(b) Plots of stories he's read.
(d) Personal questions.
15. What is Kate determined to do this winter?
(a) Take the bus to town.
(b) Start riding the horse to town.
(c) Save enough money to buy a car.
(d) Fix up the old bicycle and learn to ride it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Chris refuse Gerry Evans' offer?
2. What does Chris hear that Gerry Evans is doing in Dublin?
3. From what disease does Uncle Jack suffer?
4. How long has Uncle Jack been gone?
5. What unusual stage convention involves the boy Michael?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)