|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feeling does the radio create in Michael?
2. What is the "double blessing" Bernie O'Donnell has?
(a) Twin girls.
(b) Twice as much money.
(c) Twin boys.
(d) Citizenship in two countries.
3. What is Kate's nickname at school?
(a) The mother hen.
(b) The gander.
(c) The goose.
(d) The turkey.
4. What do the characters call movies?
(b) Moving pictures.
5. What does Gerry Evans see at the Mundy house that he says is a bad omen?
(a) A vulture.
(b) A crow.
(c) A magpie.
(d) A black cat.
6. What happens to the Sweeney boy at Lughnasa?
(a) He caught fire.
(b) He was ridiculed.
(c) He was burned in effigy.
(d) He was sent home for being too young.
7. What is the population of Balleybeg looking forward to?
(a) The harvest picnic.
(b) The harvest dance.
(c) The harvest potluck.
(d) The harvest parade.
8. Why does the parish priest tell Kate she may lose her teaching job?
(a) The priest says the number of students is falling.
(b) The priest says Kate is getting too old to teach.
(c) The priest says Uncle Jack is a blot on the community.
(d) The priest says the parents object to Kate's methods.
9. What does Kate call vulgar language?
(a) Corner-boy language.
(b) Savage language.
(c) Low-class language.
(d) Back hill language.
10. When is La Lughnasa held in the old days?
(a) September thirtieth.
(b) August fifteenth.
(c) September first.
(d) August first.
11. What does Chris want Michael to believe about his father?
(a) That he is handsome.
(b) That he is honorable.
(c) That he is trustworthy.
(d) That he is responsible.
12. Why don't the Mundys speak of Uncle Jack when he is a chaplain for the British army?
(a) They don't know where he was.
(b) Kate is in the War of Independence against Britain.
(c) They are angry with him.
(d) They are afraid of endangering Uncle Jack.
13. Why doesn't Gerry Evans bring Michael a bicycle?
(a) The one he sees is too small.
(b) The one he sees is for girls.
(c) The one he sees is the wrong color.
(d) The one he sees is too big.
14. Why does Kate object to going to the harvest dance?
(a) People will laugh at their clothes.
(b) People will laugh at women their age dancing.
(c) People will laugh because they have no husbands.
(d) People will laugh because they are awkward dancers.
15. How does Kate think children should be named?
(a) With the names of Catholic saints.
(b) With the names of movie stars.
(c) With the names of Celtic gods and goddesses.
(d) With the names of grandparents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing the Mundys listen to on the radio?
2. What does Kate say is the only thing Gerry Evans does well?
3. What does Maggie like to ask Michael?
4. What dance do Bernie O'Donnell and Maggie compete in?
5. In what year does Dancing at Lughnasa take place?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)