|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Michael when this story takes place?
2. What does Gerry Evans think the radio is when he hears it?
(a) A recording.
(b) A wireless.
(c) A gramophone.
(d) A piano.
3. Who is Lugh?
(a) The Celtic god of harvest.
(b) The sister who is cognitively impaired.
(c) The neighbor who helps the Mundy family.
(d) The mother of the Mundy family.
4. What gift does Danny Bradley give Rose for Christmas?
(a) A silver rose.
(b) A silver fish.
(c) A live rose.
(d) A live fish.
5. Where has Uncle Jack been when the story opens?
(a) In London.
(b) In Dublin.
(c) Working for the British army in East Africa.
(d) In a leper colony in Uganda.
6. What does Gerry's customer take from him the day before yesterday?
(a) Four encyclopedias.
(b) Four Bibles.
(c) Four gramophones.
(d) Four brochures.
7. What does Danny Bradley call Rose?
(c) Sally Rose.
8. What dance do Bernie O'Donnell and Maggie compete in?
(a) The Military Two-step.
(b) The jitterbug.
(c) The polka.
(d) The waltz.
9. Why does Kate ask God to forgive her?
(a) For judging her sisters.
(b) For refusing to dance.
(c) For poisoning the atmosphere in the house.
(d) For calling Gerry Evans a bastard.
10. What does Kate call vulgar language?
(a) Corner-boy language.
(b) Back hill language.
(c) Savage language.
(d) Low-class language.
11. What does Gerry Evans want Chris to do?
(a) Go to the harvest dance with him.
(b) Tell Michael about him.
(c) Marry him.
(d) Run away with him.
12. What do the Mundy sisters name their radio?
13. How does Jack feel about the Ballybeg climate?
(a) It's perfect.
(b) It's cold.
(c) It's a relief.
(d) It's hot.
14. What worries Kate most about losing her job?
(a) What will become of Uncle Jack?
(b) What will become of Rose?
(c) What will become of their reputation.
(d) What will become of the sisters?
15. What do the back hills people do to celebrate Lughnasa?
(a) Cook around a bonfire.
(b) Drive their cattle through a bonfire.
(c) Run through a bonfire.
(d) Burn the British in effigy in a bonfire.
Short Answer Questions
1. How soon does Kate predict Gerry Evans will come back?
2. Which of the sisters is the most graceful dancer?
3. What language has Uncle Jack been speaking for twenty-five years?
4. Why do the sisters stop dancing?
5. What does Kate bring Chris from town because she is "far too pale?"
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)