|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the Sweeney boy at Lughnasa?
(a) He caught fire.
(b) He was burned in effigy.
(c) He was ridiculed.
(d) He was sent home for being too young.
2. What is the name of the village where the Mundys live?
3. Where has Uncle Jack been when the story opens?
(a) In London.
(b) In Dublin.
(c) Working for the British army in East Africa.
(d) In a leper colony in Uganda.
4. What does Kate bring Chris from town because she is "far too pale?"
(b) Cod-liver oil.
5. When is La Lughnasa held in the old days?
(a) September first.
(b) August fifteenth.
(c) August first.
(d) September thirtieth.
6. What is the "double blessing" Bernie O'Donnell has?
(a) Citizenship in two countries.
(b) Twin girls.
(c) Twice as much money.
(d) Twin boys.
7. What does the Mundy family use as fuel for the stove?
8. How soon does Kate predict Gerry Evans will come back?
(a) In a week.
(b) In a month.
(c) In a year.
9. What animals does Maggie feed?
10. What medication does Uncle Jack take?
11. How does Kate identify Gerry Evans?
(a) Gerry Evans is riding a bicycle.
(b) Gerry Evans has a walking stick and a straw hat.
(c) Gerry Evans is tall and handsome.
(d) Gerry Evans carries a suitcase of goods to sell.
12. What does Kate call the people who live in the back hills?
13. What does Gerry's customer take from him the day before yesterday?
(a) Four Bibles.
(b) Four gramophones.
(c) Four brochures.
(d) Four encyclopedias.
14. What superstition does Maggie believe?
(a) Throw salt over your shoulder if you spill it.
(b) Never walk under a ladder.
(c) A black cat should be avoided.
(d) A broken mirror will bring seven years of bad luck.
15. What unusual stage convention involves the boy Michael?
(a) The boy Michael is silent.
(b) The boy Michael is played by an adult.
(c) The boy Michael narrates the play.
(d) The boy Michael is invisible, and his lines are said by adult Michael.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Maggie and Chris object to Rose seeing Danny Bradley?
2. Why do the sisters stop dancing?
3. To what tune do Gerry Evans and Chris dance?
4. What is Kate's nickname at school?
5. What does Agnes call her sisters when they dance immodestly?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)