|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gerry Evans get to Ballybeg?
(a) Gerry Evans buys a bicycle.
(b) Gerry Evans buys a car.
(c) Gerry Evans walks.
(d) Gerry Evans gets a ride from a man he meets in a bar.
2. Who first proposes that the sisters go to the harvest dance?
3. What is Kate determined to do this winter?
(a) Fix up the old bicycle and learn to ride it.
(b) Save enough money to buy a car.
(c) Start riding the horse to town.
(d) Take the bus to town.
4. What does Chris hear that Gerry Evans is doing in Dublin?
(a) Teaching dance lessons.
(b) Selling gramophones.
(c) Selling encyclopedias.
(d) Teaching Bible lessons.
5. Who is Lugh?
(a) The Celtic god of harvest.
(b) The mother of the Mundy family.
(c) The neighbor who helps the Mundy family.
(d) The sister who is cognitively impaired.
6. What feeling does the radio create in Michael?
7. What medication does Uncle Jack take?
8. What does Maggie like to ask Michael?
(a) Personal questions.
(d) Plots of stories he's read.
9. How do the sisters feel about Uncle Jack while he is in the leper colony?
(a) He is cut off from them.
(b) He is a hero and a saint to them.
(c) He is a shame and a disgrace to them.
(d) He is a mystery to them.
10. What does Gerry Evans want Chris to do?
(a) Tell Michael about him.
(b) Marry him.
(c) Go to the harvest dance with him.
(d) Run away with him.
11. What shame does Chris bring on the family years before?
(a) She has Michael out of wedlock.
(b) She has married a Briton.
(c) She has stolen food for the family.
(d) She has fought for the British.
12. What happens to the Sweeney boy at Lughnasa?
(a) He was ridiculed.
(b) He caught fire.
(c) He was sent home for being too young.
(d) He was burned in effigy.
13. What does Maggie call Michael?
14. How long does Gerry Evans think he's been away?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Thirteen months.
(d) A year.
15. How old is Michael when this story takes place?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what tune do Gerry Evans and Chris dance?
2. What does the Mundy family use as fuel for the stove?
3. Where is Bernie O'Donnell's husband from?
4. What does Gerry Evans see on the way to the Mundy house that he thinks is a good omen?
5. Why don't the Mundys speak of Uncle Jack when he is a chaplain for the British army?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)