|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What worries Kate most about losing her job?
(a) What will become of their reputation.
(b) What will become of the sisters?
(c) What will become of Rose?
(d) What will become of Uncle Jack?
2. How does Gerry Evans react when Chris tells him the family is watching them?
(a) "Better still!"
(b) "Shame on them!"
(c) "Let's get out of sight!"
(d) "They're just jealous!"
3. How many pairs of gloves must the sisters produce this week?
(a) One dozen.
(b) Two dozen.
4. What does the Mundy family use as fuel for the stove?
5. What does Kate bring Chris from town because she is "far too pale?"
(c) Cod-liver oil.
6. Which of the sisters is first to stop work and dance to the radio music?
7. Why does the parish priest tell Kate she may lose her teaching job?
(a) The priest says the number of students is falling.
(b) The priest says Uncle Jack is a blot on the community.
(c) The priest says the parents object to Kate's methods.
(d) The priest says Kate is getting too old to teach.
8. Where has Uncle Jack been when the story opens?
(a) Working for the British army in East Africa.
(b) In London.
(c) In a leper colony in Uganda.
(d) In Dublin.
9. How does Gerry Evans get to Ballybeg?
(a) Gerry Evans buys a bicycle.
(b) Gerry Evans buys a car.
(c) Gerry Evans walks.
(d) Gerry Evans gets a ride from a man he meets in a bar.
10. Who is Lugh?
(a) The neighbor who helps the Mundy family.
(b) The mother of the Mundy family.
(c) The Celtic god of harvest.
(d) The sister who is cognitively impaired.
11. Why does Maggie worry when Michael can't be seen?
(a) He could go to the old well.
(b) He could go to the woods.
(c) He could go to the back hills.
(d) He could go into town.
12. What does Gerry Evans see on the way to the Mundy house that he thinks is a good omen?
(a) A customer for his gramophones.
(b) A leprechaun.
(c) A cow with one horn.
(d) A unicorn.
13. What do the back hills people do to celebrate Lughnasa?
(a) Run through a bonfire.
(b) Burn the British in effigy in a bonfire.
(c) Drive their cattle through a bonfire.
(d) Cook around a bonfire.
14. What is the first thing the Mundys listen to on the radio?
(a) Irish news.
(b) Irish dance music.
(c) British news.
(d) British dance music.
15. What is Kate determined to do this winter?
(a) Save enough money to buy a car.
(b) Fix up the old bicycle and learn to ride it.
(c) Start riding the horse to town.
(d) Take the bus to town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Bernie O'Donnell's husband from?
2. What infuriates Kate about Gerry Evans?
3. How does Michael scare Maggie?
4. Why does Chris refuse Gerry Evans' offer?
5. What does Gerry Evans think the radio is when he hears it?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)