|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Agnes call her sisters when they dance immodestly?
2. How old Is Uncle Jack?
3. When is La Lughnasa held in the old days?
(a) September thirtieth.
(b) September first.
(c) August fifteenth.
(d) August first.
4. How does Kate think children should be named?
(a) With the names of grandparents.
(b) With the names of Celtic gods and goddesses.
(c) With the names of movie stars.
(d) With the names of Catholic saints.
5. Where has Uncle Jack been when the story opens?
(a) In London.
(b) In Dublin.
(c) Working for the British army in East Africa.
(d) In a leper colony in Uganda.
6. What gift does Danny Bradley give Rose for Christmas?
(a) A live rose.
(b) A silver rose.
(c) A live fish.
(d) A silver fish.
7. Who is Bernie O'Donnell?
(a) An old friend of Maggie's.
(b) An old friend of Rose's.
(c) An old friend of Kate's.
(d) An old friend of Agnes's.
8. What does Chris hear that Gerry Evans is doing in Dublin?
(a) Selling encyclopedias.
(b) Teaching Bible lessons.
(c) Teaching dance lessons.
(d) Selling gramophones.
9. To what tune do Gerry Evans and Chris dance?
(a) Pennsylvania 6-5000.
(b) Some Enchanted Evening.
(c) String of Pearls.
(d) Dancing in the Dark.
10. What superstition does Maggie believe?
(a) Throw salt over your shoulder if you spill it.
(b) A black cat should be avoided.
(c) A broken mirror will bring seven years of bad luck.
(d) Never walk under a ladder.
11. What shame does Chris bring on the family years before?
(a) She has fought for the British.
(b) She has stolen food for the family.
(c) She has Michael out of wedlock.
(d) She has married a Briton.
12. Why do Maggie and Chris object to Rose seeing Danny Bradley?
(a) He's handsome and they're jealous.
(b) He's a drunk.
(c) He's a liar.
(d) He's married.
13. What unusual stage convention involves the boy Michael?
(a) The boy Michael is played by an adult.
(b) The boy Michael is invisible, and his lines are said by adult Michael.
(c) The boy Michael is silent.
(d) The boy Michael narrates the play.
14. What happens to the Sweeney boy at Lughnasa?
(a) He caught fire.
(b) He was sent home for being too young.
(c) He was burned in effigy.
(d) He was ridiculed.
15. Who is Lugh?
(a) The mother of the Mundy family.
(b) The neighbor who helps the Mundy family.
(c) The sister who is cognitively impaired.
(d) The Celtic god of harvest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the sisters refuses to watch Chris dancing with Gerry Evans?
2. Why does Kate object to going to the harvest dance?
3. Where is Gerry Evans going?
4. What infuriates Agnes about Kate?
5. What does Gerry's customer take from him the day before yesterday?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)