|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the characters call movies?
(d) Moving pictures.
2. How does Kate identify Gerry Evans?
(a) Gerry Evans is riding a bicycle.
(b) Gerry Evans has a walking stick and a straw hat.
(c) Gerry Evans carries a suitcase of goods to sell.
(d) Gerry Evans is tall and handsome.
3. What does the Mundy family use as fuel for the stove?
4. What does the Donegal Enquirer call Uncle Jack?
(a) A disgrace to our country.
(b) Our own traitor.
(c) A hero to all Ireland.
(d) Our own leper priest.
5. What does Gerry Evans see on the way to the Mundy house that he thinks is a good omen?
(a) A leprechaun.
(b) A unicorn.
(c) A cow with one horn.
(d) A customer for his gramophones.
6. Why doesn't Gerry Evans bring Michael a bicycle?
(a) The one he sees is too small.
(b) The one he sees is too big.
(c) The one he sees is for girls.
(d) The one he sees is the wrong color.
7. What does Maggie like to ask Michael?
(a) Plots of stories he's read.
(d) Personal questions.
8. Why is Michael disappointed in Uncle Jack?
(a) Uncle Jack shouts all the time.
(b) Uncle Jack is unkind to the family.
(c) Uncle Jack doesn't look as Michael had imagined him.
(d) Uncle Jack ignores Michael.
9. What superstition does Maggie believe?
(a) A black cat should be avoided.
(b) Throw salt over your shoulder if you spill it.
(c) A broken mirror will bring seven years of bad luck.
(d) Never walk under a ladder.
10. What do the people of Ballylbeg plan for Jack?
(a) A public welcome.
(b) A birthday party.
(c) A bonfire.
(d) A fundraiser.
11. What does Kate call the people who live in the back hills?
12. Why does Kate object to going to the harvest dance?
(a) People will laugh because they have no husbands.
(b) People will laugh because they are awkward dancers.
(c) People will laugh at women their age dancing.
(d) People will laugh at their clothes.
13. Where has Uncle Jack been when the story opens?
(a) In a leper colony in Uganda.
(b) Working for the British army in East Africa.
(c) In Dublin.
(d) In London.
14. What does Gerry Evans think the radio is when he hears it?
(a) A wireless.
(b) A piano.
(c) A gramophone.
(d) A recording.
15. How does Chris heat the iron for their clothes?
(a) In the fireplace.
(b) On the radiator.
(c) On the hearth.
(d) In the stove.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the sisters dances alone?
2. What is the name of the village where the Mundys live?
3. In what year does Dancing at Lughnasa take place?
4. What is Michael building in the yard?
5. Who is Lugh?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)