|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jack feel about the Ballybeg climate?
(a) It's perfect.
(b) It's a relief.
(c) It's cold.
(d) It's hot.
2. What unusual stage convention involves the boy Michael?
(a) The boy Michael is silent.
(b) The boy Michael is invisible, and his lines are said by adult Michael.
(c) The boy Michael narrates the play.
(d) The boy Michael is played by an adult.
3. What does the Mundy family use as fuel for the stove?
4. How does Gerry Evans get to Ballybeg?
(a) Gerry Evans buys a car.
(b) Gerry Evans buys a bicycle.
(c) Gerry Evans walks.
(d) Gerry Evans gets a ride from a man he meets in a bar.
5. Why does Kate ask God to forgive her?
(a) For calling Gerry Evans a bastard.
(b) For refusing to dance.
(c) For judging her sisters.
(d) For poisoning the atmosphere in the house.
6. What does Chris do that Kate thinks sacrilegious?
(a) She takes the name of the Lord in vain.
(b) She wears the surplice she's been ironing.
(c) She shows her legs when she dances.
(d) She turns the picture of the saints to the wall.
7. What does Danny Bradley call Rose?
(c) Sally Rose.
8. What superstition does Maggie believe?
(a) Throw salt over your shoulder if you spill it.
(b) A black cat should be avoided.
(c) A broken mirror will bring seven years of bad luck.
(d) Never walk under a ladder.
9. What do the back hills people do to celebrate Lughnasa?
(a) Burn the British in effigy in a bonfire.
(b) Run through a bonfire.
(c) Cook around a bonfire.
(d) Drive their cattle through a bonfire.
10. What worries Kate most about losing her job?
(a) What will become of their reputation.
(b) What will become of Uncle Jack?
(c) What will become of the sisters?
(d) What will become of Rose?
11. What medication does Uncle Jack take?
12. What does Gerry Evans see on the way to the Mundy house that he thinks is a good omen?
(a) A cow with one horn.
(b) A leprechaun.
(c) A unicorn.
(d) A customer for his gramophones.
13. What does Maggie call Michael?
14. Who is Bernie O'Donnell?
(a) An old friend of Maggie's.
(b) An old friend of Agnes's.
(c) An old friend of Rose's.
(d) An old friend of Kate's.
15. How do the sisters feel about Uncle Jack while he is in the leper colony?
(a) He is a shame and a disgrace to them.
(b) He is cut off from them.
(c) He is a mystery to them.
(d) He is a hero and a saint to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Gerry Evans bring Michael a bicycle?
2. When is La Lughnasa held in the old days?
3. Who first proposes that the sisters go to the harvest dance?
4. How long has Uncle Jack been gone?
5. Where is Gerry Evans going?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)