|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kate object to going to the harvest dance?
(a) People will laugh at their clothes.
(b) People will laugh because they are awkward dancers.
(c) People will laugh because they have no husbands.
(d) People will laugh at women their age dancing.
2. What does Chris hear that Gerry Evans is doing in Dublin?
(a) Teaching Bible lessons.
(b) Selling gramophones.
(c) Selling encyclopedias.
(d) Teaching dance lessons.
3. What does Gerry Evans see on the way to the Mundy house that he thinks is a good omen?
(a) A customer for his gramophones.
(b) A unicorn.
(c) A leprechaun.
(d) A cow with one horn.
4. What does Chris do that Kate thinks sacrilegious?
(a) She turns the picture of the saints to the wall.
(b) She shows her legs when she dances.
(c) She takes the name of the Lord in vain.
(d) She wears the surplice she's been ironing.
5. Which of the sisters dances alone?
6. Who is the joker of the Mundy family?
7. Why doesn't Gerry Evans bring Michael a bicycle?
(a) The one he sees is too small.
(b) The one he sees is for girls.
(c) The one he sees is the wrong color.
(d) The one he sees is too big.
8. Which of the sisters is the most graceful dancer?
9. Why does Chris refuse Gerry Evans' offer?
(a) She believes he is already married.
(b) She believes he would keep her in poverty.
(c) She believes he would walk out on her again.
(d) She believes he doesn't love her.
10. Why does the parish priest tell Kate she may lose her teaching job?
(a) The priest says the parents object to Kate's methods.
(b) The priest says Uncle Jack is a blot on the community.
(c) The priest says the number of students is falling.
(d) The priest says Kate is getting too old to teach.
11. What does Gerry Evans see at the Mundy house that he says is a bad omen?
(a) A black cat.
(b) A vulture.
(c) A magpie.
(d) A crow.
12. What does Gerry Evans want Chris to do?
(a) Run away with him.
(b) Tell Michael about him.
(c) Marry him.
(d) Go to the harvest dance with him.
13. How long does Gerry Evans think he's been away?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Thirteen months.
(d) A year.
14. What is the "double blessing" Bernie O'Donnell has?
(a) Citizenship in two countries.
(b) Twice as much money.
(c) Twin girls.
(d) Twin boys.
15. What does Kate call the people who live in the back hills?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maggie call Michael?
2. What does Kate say is the only thing Gerry Evans does well?
3. To what tune do Gerry Evans and Chris dance?
4. What is Kate determined to do this winter?
5. How does Gerry Evans get to Ballybeg?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)