|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Gerry Evans been away?
(a) A year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) Thirteen months.
2. How does Michael scare Maggie?
(a) Michael pretends to see a rat.
(b) Michael pretends to see a mouse.
(c) Michael pretends to see a snake.
(d) Michael pretends to see a spider.
3. What does Chris do that Kate thinks sacrilegious?
(a) She wears the surplice she's been ironing.
(b) She shows her legs when she dances.
(c) She turns the picture of the saints to the wall.
(d) She takes the name of the Lord in vain.
4. What is the first thing the Mundys listen to on the radio?
(a) Irish news.
(b) British news.
(c) Irish dance music.
(d) British dance music.
5. Who is Okawa?
(a) Uncle Jack's houseboy in Uganda.
(b) Uncle Jack's imaginary friend.
(c) Uncle Jack's name in Uganda.
(d) Uncle Jack's pet name for Michael.
6. What language has Uncle Jack been speaking for twenty-five years?
7. How old Is Uncle Jack?
8. What does Gerry Evans see on the way to the Mundy house that he thinks is a good omen?
(a) A leprechaun.
(b) A unicorn.
(c) A customer for his gramophones.
(d) A cow with one horn.
9. Why does Chris refuse Gerry Evans' offer?
(a) She believes he would keep her in poverty.
(b) She believes he doesn't love her.
(c) She believes he is already married.
(d) She believes he would walk out on her again.
10. What does Maggie admire about Brian McGuinness?
(a) His blue eyes and curly hair.
(b) His military bearing.
(c) His straight nose and muscular shoulders.
(d) His white hands and long eyelashes.
11. What medication does Uncle Jack take?
12. What does Agnes recommend to fix the radio?
(a) Move it to another room.
(b) Turn it off until it cools down.
(c) Buy a new battery.
(d) Fix the frayed cord.
13. What is Michael building in the yard?
(b) A treehouse.
(c) A fort.
(d) A birdhouse.
14. Where has Uncle Jack been when the story opens?
(a) Working for the British army in East Africa.
(b) In London.
(c) In a leper colony in Uganda.
(d) In Dublin.
15. Which of the sisters dances alone?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the population of Balleybeg looking forward to?
2. How old is Michael when this story takes place?
3. How does Gerry Evans get to Ballybeg?
4. What does Chris hear that Gerry Evans is doing in Dublin?
5. How does Kate think children should be named?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)