|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Donegal Enquirer call Uncle Jack?
(a) A hero to all Ireland.
(b) Our own traitor.
(c) A disgrace to our country.
(d) Our own leper priest.
2. What language has Uncle Jack been speaking for twenty-five years?
3. What superstition does Maggie believe?
(a) Never walk under a ladder.
(b) Throw salt over your shoulder if you spill it.
(c) A black cat should be avoided.
(d) A broken mirror will bring seven years of bad luck.
4. How does Maggie think Gerry Evans looks?
5. What do the Mundy sisters name their radio?
6. What does Agnes call her sisters when they dance immodestly?
7. What does Kate say is the only thing Gerry Evans does well?
(b) Sell merchandise.
(c) Sell himself.
8. How does Chris heat the iron for their clothes?
(a) In the fireplace.
(b) On the radiator.
(c) On the hearth.
(d) In the stove.
9. What worries Kate most about losing her job?
(a) What will become of the sisters?
(b) What will become of Rose?
(c) What will become of their reputation.
(d) What will become of Uncle Jack?
10. What does Danny Bradley call Rose?
(b) Sally Rose.
11. Why does Chris refuse Gerry Evans' offer?
(a) She believes he doesn't love her.
(b) She believes he is already married.
(c) She believes he would walk out on her again.
(d) She believes he would keep her in poverty.
12. What shame does Chris bring on the family years before?
(a) She has stolen food for the family.
(b) She has fought for the British.
(c) She has Michael out of wedlock.
(d) She has married a Briton.
13. What infuriates Kate about Gerry Evans?
(a) He doesn't love Chris.
(b) He doesn't keep a job.
(c) He doesn't come by often.
(d) He doesn't support his child.
14. How many pairs of gloves must the sisters produce this week?
(b) Two dozen.
(d) One dozen.
15. How long has Gerry Evans been away?
(a) Six months.
(b) A year.
(c) Thirteen months.
(d) Eighteen months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Mundy family use as fuel for the stove?
2. Who is Okawa?
3. Why don't the Mundys speak of Uncle Jack when he is a chaplain for the British army?
4. From what disease does Uncle Jack suffer?
5. What does Chris do that Kate thinks sacrilegious?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)