|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Gerry Evans been away?
(a) A year.
(b) Thirteen months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Eighteen months.
2. What infuriates Kate about Gerry Evans?
(a) He doesn't support his child.
(b) He doesn't keep a job.
(c) He doesn't come by often.
(d) He doesn't love Chris.
3. What do the characters call movies?
(b) Moving pictures.
4. Which of the sisters is the most graceful dancer?
5. From what disease does Uncle Jack suffer?
(b) Dengue fever.
6. Which of the sisters dances alone?
7. What superstition does Maggie believe?
(a) Never walk under a ladder.
(b) A black cat should be avoided.
(c) A broken mirror will bring seven years of bad luck.
(d) Throw salt over your shoulder if you spill it.
8. How many pairs of gloves must the sisters produce this week?
(c) Two dozen.
(d) One dozen.
9. What does the Donegal Enquirer call Uncle Jack?
(a) Our own leper priest.
(b) Our own traitor.
(c) A hero to all Ireland.
(d) A disgrace to our country.
10. What is the name of the village where the Mundys live?
11. How does Chris heat the iron for their clothes?
(a) In the stove.
(b) On the hearth.
(c) On the radiator.
(d) In the fireplace.
12. Which of the sisters refuses to watch Chris dancing with Gerry Evans?
13. How does Jack feel about the Ballybeg climate?
(a) It's hot.
(b) It's a relief.
(c) It's cold.
(d) It's perfect.
14. What happens to the Sweeney boy at Lughnasa?
(a) He was burned in effigy.
(b) He caught fire.
(c) He was sent home for being too young.
(d) He was ridiculed.
15. Who is Lugh?
(a) The neighbor who helps the Mundy family.
(b) The sister who is cognitively impaired.
(c) The Celtic god of harvest.
(d) The mother of the Mundy family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't the Mundys speak of Uncle Jack when he is a chaplain for the British army?
2. How long has Uncle Jack been gone?
3. What does the storekeeper say the Mundys go through faster than anyone in Ballybeg?
4. Where has Uncle Jack been when the story opens?
5. What is Kate determined to do this winter?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)