|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What infuriates Kate about Gerry Evans?
(a) He doesn't love Chris.
(b) He doesn't support his child.
(c) He doesn't keep a job.
(d) He doesn't come by often.
2. What does Kate bring Chris from town because she is "far too pale?"
(c) Cod-liver oil.
3. Why doesn't Gerry Evans bring Michael a bicycle?
(a) The one he sees is too small.
(b) The one he sees is the wrong color.
(c) The one he sees is too big.
(d) The one he sees is for girls.
4. What feeling does the radio create in Michael?
5. Where has Uncle Jack been when the story opens?
(a) In a leper colony in Uganda.
(b) In Dublin.
(c) In London.
(d) Working for the British army in East Africa.
6. What animals does Maggie feed?
7. Where is Gerry Evans going?
(a) To France.
(b) To Spain.
(c) To England.
(d) To Italy.
8. What does Chris hear that Gerry Evans is doing in Dublin?
(a) Selling encyclopedias.
(b) Teaching dance lessons.
(c) Teaching Bible lessons.
(d) Selling gramophones.
9. How does Maggie think Gerry Evans looks?
10. How does Kate identify Gerry Evans?
(a) Gerry Evans is riding a bicycle.
(b) Gerry Evans carries a suitcase of goods to sell.
(c) Gerry Evans has a walking stick and a straw hat.
(d) Gerry Evans is tall and handsome.
11. What is Wild Woodbine?
12. Why do Maggie and Chris object to Rose seeing Danny Bradley?
(a) He's married.
(b) He's a liar.
(c) He's handsome and they're jealous.
(d) He's a drunk.
13. How does Gerry Evans react when Chris tells him the family is watching them?
(a) "They're just jealous!"
(b) "Shame on them!"
(c) "Better still!"
(d) "Let's get out of sight!"
14. What does Gerry's customer take from him the day before yesterday?
(a) Four Bibles.
(b) Four brochures.
(c) Four encyclopedias.
(d) Four gramophones.
15. Who is Bernie O'Donnell?
(a) An old friend of Rose's.
(b) An old friend of Maggie's.
(c) An old friend of Kate's.
(d) An old friend of Agnes's.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kate think children should be named?
2. What do the back hills people do to celebrate Lughnasa?
3. How does Jack feel about the Ballybeg climate?
4. How do the sisters feel about Uncle Jack while he is in the leper colony?
5. Why does Chris refuse Gerry Evans' offer?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)