|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Rob and Judith marry?
2. What simile does Angus use to compare the darkness of the night on board ship?
3. What type of meat do Rob and Angus eat during the winter of 1890-91?
4. How tall was the lighthouse that Alexander McCaskill helped to build?
5. How much do the passengers have to pay for mattress, tin, and soap on board ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 1890, why does Rob say there will be a year of good luck when Angus comes inside near midnight?
2. What did Angus's father's grandfather, Alexander McCaskill, help to build?
3. Why in 1893, does the South Fork need a school teacher when the school year is close to beginning?
4. How do Rob and Angus claim the land that they want to homestead?
5. Why do Ninian, Donald, Archie, and Willy come to see Angus one evening?
6. Describe Anna Ramsay.
7. What progress does Angus describe that occurs in 1891?
8. How do Rob and Angus decide whose house to build first?
9. What family does Rob leave behind in Nethermuir?
10. What does Angus tell about his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1890, Angus and Rob choose the land that they are going to homestead. Discuss homestead claims relating to the legalities of homesteading and the homesteads that Rob and Angus choose.
Essay Topic 2
Homesteaders come and settle on dry-land claims. Discuss these homesteaders and the problems they face.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Angus and Anna Ramsay.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)