|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of year does Gram Erskine die?
2. How long has it been since Rob has seen his Uncle Lucas?
3. Who is president of the United States that first year that Rob and Angus are homesteading?
4. How many stars does the American flag have on it that flies in Gros Ventre?
5. When does Montana become a state?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 1890, why does Rob say there will be a year of good luck when Angus comes inside near midnight?
2. How does Angus describe the men that Judith had to choose from as a husband?
3. What does the steward have to say when he comes to steerage to talk with the passengers?
4. How did Lucas lose his hands?
5. How do Angus and Rob have to travel to Gros Ventre to find Lucas?
6. Why in 1893, does the South Fork need a school teacher when the school year is close to beginning?
7. What did Angus's father's grandfather, Alexander McCaskill, help to build?
8. What does Angus tell about his family?
9. Why do the bumboats dock against the steamship Rob and Angus are taking to America?
10. How does Susan Duff stop Daniel Rozier from putting garter snakes in the girls' outhouse at South Fork school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Angus's life in Nethermuir and the events that cause his life to change direction.
Essay Topic 2
Rob and Angus learn that trying to control a thousand sheep on a new range is like trying to herd water. Discuss pros and cons of sheep herding.
Essay Topic 3
The men of Scotch Heaven learn that the land where they have pastured there sheep is going to become a national forest. Discuss the national forest and reactions to the idea.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)