|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship that Rob and Angus take to America?
2. What simile does Angus use to compare the darkness of the night on board ship?
3. When do Rob and Judith marry?
4. What was the name of the teacher who taught before Angus takes over the classroom at South Fork?
5. How old is Gram Erskine when she dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Angus's father's grandfather, Alexander McCaskill, help to build?
2. Why do Ninian, Donald, Archie, and Willy come to see Angus one evening?
3. What does the steward have to say when he comes to steerage to talk with the passengers?
4. How does Susan Duff stop Daniel Rozier from putting garter snakes in the girls' outhouse at South Fork school?
5. When Rob becomes interested in Nancy, how does Lucas solve that problem?
6. How do Rob and Angus claim the land that they want to homestead?
7. How are Rob and Angus listed on the passenger list of the James Watt?
8. In 1890, why does Rob say there will be a year of good luck when Angus comes inside near midnight?
9. How do Rob and Angus decide whose house to build first?
10. What are the benefits and problems of raising sheep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rob and Angus learn that trying to control a thousand sheep on a new range is like trying to herd water. Discuss pros and cons of sheep herding.
Essay Topic 2
When Rob and Angus find Lucas, they discover that he is handicapped. Discuss Lucas and his handicap and how he deals with his handicap.
Essay Topic 3
As the years pass, Angus sees shades of change everywhere that he looks. Discuss the changes that Angus sees in Scotch Heaven and the areas around him.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)