|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Angus meet Anna Ramsay?
2. What type of a church is in Gros Ventre?
3. What is the name of the ship that Rob and Angus take to America?
4. What is the name of Rob's uncle's mine?
5. What simile does Angus use to compare the darkness of the night on board ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Ninian, Donald, Archie, and Willy come to see Angus one evening?
2. How are Rob and Angus listed on the passenger list of the James Watt?
3. What advice does "Crofutt's Trans-Atlantic Emigrants" Guide give individuals who are considering emigrating?
4. What does the steward have to say when he comes to steerage to talk with the passengers?
5. How do Rob and Angus decide whose house to build first?
6. How do Angus and Rob have to travel to Gros Ventre to find Lucas?
7. What is some of the first work that Rob and Angus get done on their homesteads?
8. How does Susan Duff stop Daniel Rozier from putting garter snakes in the girls' outhouse at South Fork school?
9. Why don't Rob and Angus eat some of their sheep during the long winter of early 1891?
10. How did Lucas lose his hands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1890, Angus and Rob choose the land that they are going to homestead. Discuss homestead claims relating to the legalities of homesteading and the homesteads that Rob and Angus choose.
Essay Topic 2
Rob and Angus learn that trying to control a thousand sheep on a new range is like trying to herd water. Discuss pros and cons of sheep herding.
Essay Topic 3
As Angus prepares to board the ship to emigrate to America, he begins to have second thoughts about his decision to leave Scotland. Discuss why Angus is having second thoughts about leaving Scotland.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)