|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How tall was the lighthouse that Alexander McCaskill helped to build?
2. In 1890, where do Rob, Angus and other settlers spend the last day of the old year?
3. What color uniforms do the crew wear on the ship Rob and Angus take to America?
4. What was the name of the teacher who taught before Angus takes over the classroom at South Fork?
5. Where is Rob's Uncle's mine located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the steward have to say when he comes to steerage to talk with the passengers?
2. Why in 1893, does the South Fork need a school teacher when the school year is close to beginning?
3. What advice does "Crofutt's Trans-Atlantic Emigrants" Guide give individuals who are considering emigrating?
4. How does Angus describe the men that Judith had to choose from as a husband?
5. How are Rob and Angus listed on the passenger list of the James Watt?
6. How do Rob and Angus decide whose house to build first?
7. In 1890, why does Rob say there will be a year of good luck when Angus comes inside near midnight?
8. How do Angus and Rob have to travel to Gros Ventre to find Lucas?
9. Why isn't Angus able to sleep on water?
10. What are the benefits and problems of raising sheep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Lucas's death and how he tries to reconcile Rob and Angus even from the grave.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Angus's and Adair's marriage.
Essay Topic 3
When they marry, both Angus and Adair want children, soon and several. Discuss the importance of children to Angus and Adair.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)