|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is missing from the deer?
2. What taboo did Ernesto worry he had broken?
3. In Chapter 18, what does Leaphorn believe will hide him from others in his stakeout over the Zuni village?
4. In Chapter 11, what noise covers Leaphorn's arrival at the commune?
5. Who refers to George Bowlegs as "about half genius and half crazy"?
Short Essay Questions
1. After leaving the Bowlegs hogan in Chapter 14, what is Leaphorn's plan for the investigation.
2. In Chapter 15, what disturbs Leaphorn about the dead deer killed by George Bowlegs?
3. According to the Zuni beliefs, what will happen if the Shalako ceremonies aren't performed correctly?
4. Who is in the procession of the Council of the Gods?
5. What are the Koyemshi, and what is their significance?
6. What relationship do Ted Isaacs and Susanne share and what does Leaphorn think about it?
7. What law-enforcement agencies are interested in the crimes at Zuni and why?
8. What has Susanne learned about deer from George Bowlegs?
9. In Chapter 16, Leaphorn is shot with a hypodermic dart. How was this done?
10. What effects does Leaphorn feel from the hypodermic dart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Author Hillerman makes several references to the Navajo way of life being a lonely life. Leaphorn seems comfortable in his aloneness, while the loneliness leaves George Bowlegs searching for answers. In comparison, the non-Navajo Susanne is also alone, but this has been forced on her by the abuse against her. Discuss these three characters and how they cope with being alone. Does being alone the same as loneliness? For everyone or just some?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 13, Zuni spirituality is explored more fully as Father Ingles explains it to Leaphorn. Apparently, comparing the different religions was a discussion that Father Ingles shared with George as well. Compare and contrast the Zuni religion with Catholicism.
Essay Topic 3
In the eighth chapter, the reader sees the differences in how Leaphorn and the FBI agent, John O'Malley, approach their jobs and how they work with others. Compare and contrast Leaphorn and O'Malley. Are their differences entirely cultural?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)