|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Leaphorn recognize from the photos that John O'Malley shows him?
2. What does Leaphorn give Ted Isaacs in the last chapter?
3. Who refers to George Bowlegs as "about half genius and half crazy"?
4. In Chapter 14, who performs the third search of the Bowlegs hogan?
5. In Chapter 15, what do Leaphorn and Susanne share for dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effects does Leaphorn feel from the hypodermic dart?
2. Leaphorn tells Susanne about Sa. Who or what is Sa?
3. What has Susanne learned about deer from George Bowlegs?
4. Although George Bowlegs is mentioned often in the book, the reader doesn't see him until Chapter 19 when he appears in front of Leaphorn.
5. Father Ingles is impressed with George Bowlegs. Why?
6. In Chapter 16, Leaphorn is shot with a hypodermic dart. How was this done?
7. According to the Zuni beliefs, what will happen if the Shalako ceremonies aren't performed correctly?
8. Who is in the procession of the Council of the Gods?
9. What is Ted Isaacs's background?
10. What relationship do Ted Isaacs and Susanne share and what does Leaphorn think about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leaphorn tries to get Ted Isaacs to assume care of Suzanne, since both he and she profess to care for each other. Yet Isaacs doesn't want to jeopardize his chance at prestige and a good job. Isaacs rejects Susanne's safety for his own security. Does this make Ted Isaacs a bad man? Why do you think he makes this decision?
Essay Topic 2
The FBI agent, John O'Malley, acts as if the paralyzing dart is not worth worrying about or filing charges against. What is O'Malley communicating to Leaphorn with his words and actions in Chapter 17? Is he showing prejudice against Leaphorn because he's Navajo or because he's just a local authority? How does O'Malley's attitude affect Leaphorn's decisions of what and how to investigate?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 5, the reader learns that the commune is named Jason's Fleece after the myth of Jason and the Golden Fleece. The Navajo have their own myths, such as that of Monster Slayer and Born of Water. Compare and contrast the myths of the different cultures in Dance Hall of the Dead and their symbolism.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)