|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Leaphorn recognize from the photos that John O'Malley shows him?
2. In Chapter 11, how many sites is Reynolds sponsoring digs on?
3. What is the age and sex of Susanne's sibling?
4. What are Acoma and Isleta?
5. In Chapter 11, what noise covers Leaphorn's arrival at the commune?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although George Bowlegs is mentioned often in the book, the reader doesn't see him until Chapter 19 when he appears in front of Leaphorn.
2. According to the Zuni beliefs, what will happen if the Shalako ceremonies aren't performed correctly?
3. What are the Koyemshi, and what is their significance?
4. After leaving the Bowlegs hogan in Chapter 14, what is Leaphorn's plan for the investigation.
5. Describe Father Ingles.
6. What has Susanne learned about deer from George Bowlegs?
7. What effects does Leaphorn feel from the hypodermic dart?
8. Leaphorn realizes who the killer is but can't prove it. He gives the information to two people. Whom does he tell and why?
9. When Dance Hall of the Dead ends, where is Susanne most likely?
10. Describe Leaphorn's view at the beginning of Chapter 18.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, the reader learns that the commune is named Jason's Fleece after the myth of Jason and the Golden Fleece. The Navajo have their own myths, such as that of Monster Slayer and Born of Water. Compare and contrast the myths of the different cultures in Dance Hall of the Dead and their symbolism.
Essay Topic 2
While watching for George above the Zuni village, Leaphorn paints a vivid picture of his surroundings. This is something he has done in previous chapters as well. What do you think Leaphorn's feelings for his environment are? Does his environment affect his day-to-day life? If so, in what way?
Essay Topic 3
Although angry at Isaacs for choosing his job over Susanne, Leaphorn tells him all the facts and allows Isaacs to decide what to do with those facts. What do you think Isaacs will choose to do? Will he be honest about the dig site with authorities or will he take credit for his findings? Give reasons for your answers based on Isaacs's behavior and words throughout the book.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)