|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leaphorn do while Susanne cries?
2. In Chapter 19, to whom does Leaphorn first explain his theory of the crimes?
3. In Chapter 16, what does Leaphorn compare to a broom handle?
4. In Chapter 16, what does Leaphorn find inside the fetish offering?
5. In Chapter 18, what does Leaphorn believe will hide him from others in his stakeout over the Zuni village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What law-enforcement agencies are interested in the crimes at Zuni and why?
2. Although George Bowlegs is mentioned often in the book, the reader doesn't see him until Chapter 19 when he appears in front of Leaphorn.
3. What relationship do Ted Isaacs and Susanne share and what does Leaphorn think about it?
4. Who is in the procession of the Council of the Gods?
5. Father Ingles is impressed with George Bowlegs. Why?
6. Leaphorn tells Susanne about Sa. Who or what is Sa?
7. In Chapter 15, what disturbs Leaphorn about the dead deer killed by George Bowlegs?
8. Leaphorn realizes who the killer is but can't prove it. He gives the information to two people. Whom does he tell and why?
9. What are the Koyemshi, and what is their significance?
10. When Dance Hall of the Dead ends, where is Susanne most likely?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 11 hints at Susanne's background. How does the author let the reader know about Susanne's troubled home without a specific statement to that fact? How has this made her a victim within the commune? What characters seems to actually care about Susanne?
Essay Topic 2
The FBI agent, John O'Malley, acts as if the paralyzing dart is not worth worrying about or filing charges against. What is O'Malley communicating to Leaphorn with his words and actions in Chapter 17? Is he showing prejudice against Leaphorn because he's Navajo or because he's just a local authority? How does O'Malley's attitude affect Leaphorn's decisions of what and how to investigate?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 5, the reader learns that the commune is named Jason's Fleece after the myth of Jason and the Golden Fleece. The Navajo have their own myths, such as that of Monster Slayer and Born of Water. Compare and contrast the myths of the different cultures in Dance Hall of the Dead and their symbolism.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)