|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, where is grid Seventeen W that Isaacs is working from?
2. In Chapter 19, to whom does Leaphorn first explain his theory of the crimes?
3. What type of deer had been killed by George's gun?
4. What is Halona?
5. In Chapter 11, where does Leaphorn find Susanne?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Leaphorn's view at the beginning of Chapter 18.
2. What effects does Leaphorn feel from the hypodermic dart?
3. Leaphorn tells Susanne about Sa. Who or what is Sa?
4. What relationship do Ted Isaacs and Susanne share and what does Leaphorn think about it?
5. Father Ingles is impressed with George Bowlegs. Why?
6. What is Ted Isaacs's background?
7. Although George Bowlegs is mentioned often in the book, the reader doesn't see him until Chapter 19 when he appears in front of Leaphorn.
8. What law-enforcement agencies are interested in the crimes at Zuni and why?
9. When Dance Hall of the Dead ends, where is Susanne most likely?
10. Leaphorn realizes who the killer is but can't prove it. He gives the information to two people. Whom does he tell and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A meeting between the various law enforcement entities shows the different cultures and the differences. Through Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn's eyes, the reader learns of an antagonism or rivalry between his culture, the Navajo, and that of the Zuni. Yet since the crime involves two boys, one who is Navajo and the other who is Zuni, these two cultures must work together. Compare and contrast the Navajo and Zuni cultures as described in Chapter 2.
Essay Topic 2
Leaphorn's tells Pasquaanti who the killer is, knowing that the Zuni will exact revenge on the man. Why does Leaphorn do this? Do you think that as a law enforcement officer that this is an easy or difficult decision for him to make? Does Leaphorn have any regrets?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 5, the reader learns that the commune is named Jason's Fleece after the myth of Jason and the Golden Fleece. The Navajo have their own myths, such as that of Monster Slayer and Born of Water. Compare and contrast the myths of the different cultures in Dance Hall of the Dead and their symbolism.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)