|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the normal population of Zuni village?
2. Where did Ted Isaacs attend college for his undergraduate work?
3. What nickname has Leaphorn given the killer?
4. What is the age and sex of Susanne's sibling?
5. In Chapter 18, what hangs over the Zuni pueblo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although George Bowlegs is mentioned often in the book, the reader doesn't see him until Chapter 19 when he appears in front of Leaphorn.
2. What relationship do Ted Isaacs and Susanne share and what does Leaphorn think about it?
3. According to the Zuni beliefs, what will happen if the Shalako ceremonies aren't performed correctly?
4. Father Ingles is impressed with George Bowlegs. Why?
5. After leaving the Bowlegs hogan in Chapter 14, what is Leaphorn's plan for the investigation.
6. When Dance Hall of the Dead ends, where is Susanne most likely?
7. In Chapter 16, Leaphorn is shot with a hypodermic dart. How was this done?
8. Who are the people who are hunting in Chapter 15, and what are they hunting?
9. What effects does Leaphorn feel from the hypodermic dart?
10. What law-enforcement agencies are interested in the crimes at Zuni and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although angry at Isaacs for choosing his job over Susanne, Leaphorn tells him all the facts and allows Isaacs to decide what to do with those facts. What do you think Isaacs will choose to do? Will he be honest about the dig site with authorities or will he take credit for his findings? Give reasons for your answers based on Isaacs's behavior and words throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 7, the reader learns more about the teachings Leaphorn learned from his grandfather. Discuss how these teachings help Leaphorn as a detective. Compare Leaphorn's detecting methods to those of white culture.
Essay Topic 3
Leaphorn tries to get Ted Isaacs to assume care of Suzanne, since both he and she profess to care for each other. Yet Isaacs doesn't want to jeopardize his chance at prestige and a good job. Isaacs rejects Susanne's safety for his own security. Does this make Ted Isaacs a bad man? Why do you think he makes this decision?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)