|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what noise covers Leaphorn's arrival at the commune?
2. What is Halona?
3. In Chapter 14, what passenger does Leaphorn pick up on the way to the Zuni Lake?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 15, what does Leaphorn find on the saddleback slope?
5. Who does Leaphorn recognize from the photos that John O'Malley shows him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is in the procession of the Council of the Gods?
2. Father Ingles is impressed with George Bowlegs. Why?
3. Although George Bowlegs is mentioned often in the book, the reader doesn't see him until Chapter 19 when he appears in front of Leaphorn.
4. What relationship do Ted Isaacs and Susanne share and what does Leaphorn think about it?
5. What are the Koyemshi, and what is their significance?
6. John O'Malley is watching for seven people he believes are involved in the narcotics operation. Who does Leaphorn recognize from the seven photographs?
7. After leaving the Bowlegs hogan in Chapter 14, what is Leaphorn's plan for the investigation.
8. What is Ted Isaacs's background?
9. In Chapter 16, Leaphorn is shot with a hypodermic dart. How was this done?
10. Describe Leaphorn's view at the beginning of Chapter 18.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leaphorn's tells Pasquaanti who the killer is, knowing that the Zuni will exact revenge on the man. Why does Leaphorn do this? Do you think that as a law enforcement officer that this is an easy or difficult decision for him to make? Does Leaphorn have any regrets?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 11 hints at Susanne's background. How does the author let the reader know about Susanne's troubled home without a specific statement to that fact? How has this made her a victim within the commune? What characters seems to actually care about Susanne?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, it is revealed that if Ernesto Cata had lived, he would have grown up as a respected and honored member of the Zuni, even a leader. Compare and contrast Ernesto's possible future with George's probable future. Does this explain some of George's "crazy" behavior that several have reported to Leaphorn?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)