|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Mudhead wear during the dance of Shalako?
2. In Chapter 16, what does Leaphorn compare to a broom handle?
3. In Chapter 16, what does Leaphorn find inside the fetish offering?
4. In Chapter 14, what is hanging on the ranch gate?
5. In Zuni mythology, what is the penalty for sacrilege?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effects does Leaphorn feel from the hypodermic dart?
2. Who is in the procession of the Council of the Gods?
3. Although George Bowlegs is mentioned often in the book, the reader doesn't see him until Chapter 19 when he appears in front of Leaphorn.
4. Describe Leaphorn's view at the beginning of Chapter 18.
5. After leaving the Bowlegs hogan in Chapter 14, what is Leaphorn's plan for the investigation.
6. In Chapter 15, what disturbs Leaphorn about the dead deer killed by George Bowlegs?
7. When Dance Hall of the Dead ends, where is Susanne most likely?
8. Leaphorn tells Susanne about Sa. Who or what is Sa?
9. In Chapter 16, Leaphorn is shot with a hypodermic dart. How was this done?
10. What law-enforcement agencies are interested in the crimes at Zuni and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 7, the reader learns more about the teachings Leaphorn learned from his grandfather. Discuss how these teachings help Leaphorn as a detective. Compare Leaphorn's detecting methods to those of white culture.
Essay Topic 2
Leaphorn's tells Pasquaanti who the killer is, knowing that the Zuni will exact revenge on the man. Why does Leaphorn do this? Do you think that as a law enforcement officer that this is an easy or difficult decision for him to make? Does Leaphorn have any regrets?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 5, the reader learns that the commune is named Jason's Fleece after the myth of Jason and the Golden Fleece. The Navajo have their own myths, such as that of Monster Slayer and Born of Water. Compare and contrast the myths of the different cultures in Dance Hall of the Dead and their symbolism.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)