|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Shulawitsi and Salamobia?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 19, who is Leaphorn looking for?
3. What does Leaphorn do while Susanne cries?
4. Where did Ted Isaacs attend college for his undergraduate work?
5. Who does Leaphorn accuse of salting the site?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 16, Leaphorn is shot with a hypodermic dart. How was this done?
2. John O'Malley is watching for seven people he believes are involved in the narcotics operation. Who does Leaphorn recognize from the seven photographs?
3. Describe Leaphorn's view at the beginning of Chapter 18.
4. What law-enforcement agencies are interested in the crimes at Zuni and why?
5. When Dance Hall of the Dead ends, where is Susanne most likely?
6. Leaphorn tells Susanne about Sa. Who or what is Sa?
7. Who is in the procession of the Council of the Gods?
8. What is Ted Isaacs's background?
9. What has Susanne learned about deer from George Bowlegs?
10. Leaphorn realizes who the killer is but can't prove it. He gives the information to two people. Whom does he tell and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Leaphorn is hit with the dart, he is able to realize that he must find a place to wait out the effects of the tranquilizer. The reader stays in Leaphorn's head as he hears the killer approach but is powerless to stop it. Although Leaphorn is also faced with hallucinations, he is still able to put more pieces of the puzzle together. What does this chapter tell you about Leaphorn's personality? If you were to meet him outside of his role as a police officer, what kind of man do you think he would be?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, the reader learns more about George Bowlegs through Leaphorn's eyes and in his conversation with George's younger brother, Cecil. This information leaves the reader feeling empathetic for both boys who live a life of loneliness and poverty. Which testimony from Chapter 3 is more powerful in its ability to generate the empathy: Leaphorn's observations or what Cecil says. Would the empathy be as strong with only perspective of the Bowlegs home life?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 5, the reader learns that the commune is named Jason's Fleece after the myth of Jason and the Golden Fleece. The Navajo have their own myths, such as that of Monster Slayer and Born of Water. Compare and contrast the myths of the different cultures in Dance Hall of the Dead and their symbolism.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)