|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Mudhead wear during the dance of Shalako?
2. In Chapter 14, what passenger does Leaphorn pick up on the way to the Zuni Lake?
3. How many people does Leaphorn estimate would be at Zuni village during Shalako?
4. What is Halona?
5. Where did Ted Isaacs attend college for his undergraduate work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Koyemshi, and what is their significance?
2. John O'Malley is watching for seven people he believes are involved in the narcotics operation. Who does Leaphorn recognize from the seven photographs?
3. After leaving the Bowlegs hogan in Chapter 14, what is Leaphorn's plan for the investigation.
4. Who are the people who are hunting in Chapter 15, and what are they hunting?
5. Although George Bowlegs is mentioned often in the book, the reader doesn't see him until Chapter 19 when he appears in front of Leaphorn.
6. What law-enforcement agencies are interested in the crimes at Zuni and why?
7. Describe Father Ingles.
8. Who is in the procession of the Council of the Gods?
9. When Dance Hall of the Dead ends, where is Susanne most likely?
10. In Chapter 15, what disturbs Leaphorn about the dead deer killed by George Bowlegs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although it becomes important to Leaphorn to protect George and Susanne, he is first a detective. As a detective, he must rule them out not with his heart but with logic, which he is able to do. Explain how Leaphorn uses logic in Chapter 16 to add or rule out suspects or reasons for the deaths.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 10, it is revealed that if Ernesto Cata had lived, he would have grown up as a respected and honored member of the Zuni, even a leader. Compare and contrast Ernesto's possible future with George's probable future. Does this explain some of George's "crazy" behavior that several have reported to Leaphorn?
Essay Topic 3
Although angry at Isaacs for choosing his job over Susanne, Leaphorn tells him all the facts and allows Isaacs to decide what to do with those facts. What do you think Isaacs will choose to do? Will he be honest about the dig site with authorities or will he take credit for his findings? Give reasons for your answers based on Isaacs's behavior and words throughout the book.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)