|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 19, what does Leaphorn find in the alley?
2. What is Halona?
3. In Chapter 14, Leaphorn is traveling on N.M. 53 until it turns into what road at the state line?
4. In Chapter 18, what hangs over the Zuni pueblo?
5. What is the normal population of Zuni village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Koyemshi, and what is their significance?
2. What effects does Leaphorn feel from the hypodermic dart?
3. When Dance Hall of the Dead ends, where is Susanne most likely?
4. Although George Bowlegs is mentioned often in the book, the reader doesn't see him until Chapter 19 when he appears in front of Leaphorn.
5. Describe Father Ingles.
6. According to the Zuni beliefs, what will happen if the Shalako ceremonies aren't performed correctly?
7. John O'Malley is watching for seven people he believes are involved in the narcotics operation. Who does Leaphorn recognize from the seven photographs?
8. After leaving the Bowlegs hogan in Chapter 14, what is Leaphorn's plan for the investigation.
9. In Chapter 16, Leaphorn is shot with a hypodermic dart. How was this done?
10. Father Ingles is impressed with George Bowlegs. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The first chapter of Dance Hall of the Dead not only shows the crime that the entire book centers on but it also provides scene and setting information important to the entire book. It sets the tone of the book. Discuss the details of the setting offered in Chapter 1 and how it introduces place, mood, and culture.
Essay Topic 2
In the eighth chapter, the reader sees the differences in how Leaphorn and the FBI agent, John O'Malley, approach their jobs and how they work with others. Compare and contrast Leaphorn and O'Malley. Are their differences entirely cultural?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, it is revealed that if Ernesto Cata had lived, he would have grown up as a respected and honored member of the Zuni, even a leader. Compare and contrast Ernesto's possible future with George's probable future. Does this explain some of George's "crazy" behavior that several have reported to Leaphorn?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)