|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What taboo did Ernesto worry he had broken?
2. Who does Leaphorn recognize from the photos that John O'Malley shows him?
3. What feathers does Leaphorn think he saw on the kachina mask?
4. What is the color of the mask that Leaphorn describes to Pasquaanti?
5. In Chapter 14, who performs the third search of the Bowlegs hogan?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 16, Leaphorn is shot with a hypodermic dart. How was this done?
2. What is Ted Isaacs's background?
3. Who are the people who are hunting in Chapter 15, and what are they hunting?
4. According to the Zuni beliefs, what will happen if the Shalako ceremonies aren't performed correctly?
5. What are the Koyemshi, and what is their significance?
6. After leaving the Bowlegs hogan in Chapter 14, what is Leaphorn's plan for the investigation.
7. Describe Leaphorn's view at the beginning of Chapter 18.
8. What relationship do Ted Isaacs and Susanne share and what does Leaphorn think about it?
9. Leaphorn tells Susanne about Sa. Who or what is Sa?
10. In Chapter 15, what disturbs Leaphorn about the dead deer killed by George Bowlegs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The first chapter of Dance Hall of the Dead not only shows the crime that the entire book centers on but it also provides scene and setting information important to the entire book. It sets the tone of the book. Discuss the details of the setting offered in Chapter 1 and how it introduces place, mood, and culture.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 7, the reader learns more about the teachings Leaphorn learned from his grandfather. Discuss how these teachings help Leaphorn as a detective. Compare Leaphorn's detecting methods to those of white culture.
Essay Topic 3
In the eighth chapter, the reader sees the differences in how Leaphorn and the FBI agent, John O'Malley, approach their jobs and how they work with others. Compare and contrast Leaphorn and O'Malley. Are their differences entirely cultural?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)