|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the color of the mask that Leaphorn describes to Pasquaanti?
2. In Chapter 14, Leaphorn is traveling on N.M. 53 until it turns into what road at the state line?
3. In Chapter 11, how many sites is Reynolds sponsoring digs on?
4. In Chapter 14, what passenger does Leaphorn pick up on the way to the Zuni Lake?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 19, who is Leaphorn looking for?
Essay Topic 1
After the death of Shorty Bowlegs, Leaphorn assumes responsibility for Cecil Bowlegs. Discuss the Navajo concept of family and children.
Essay Topic 2
The FBI agent, John O'Malley, acts as if the paralyzing dart is not worth worrying about or filing charges against. What is O'Malley communicating to Leaphorn with his words and actions in Chapter 17? Is he showing prejudice against Leaphorn because he's Navajo or because he's just a local authority? How does O'Malley's attitude affect Leaphorn's decisions of what and how to investigate?
Essay Topic 3
The first chapter of Dance Hall of the Dead not only shows the crime that the entire book centers on but it also provides scene and setting information important to the entire book. It sets the tone of the book. Discuss the details of the setting offered in Chapter 1 and how it introduces place, mood, and culture.
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)