|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 15, what do Leaphorn and Susanne share for dinner?
2. What is missing from the deer?
3. In Chapter 11, where does Leaphorn find Susanne?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 19, who is Leaphorn looking for?
5. In Chapter 14, what is hanging on the ranch gate?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Dance Hall of the Dead ends, where is Susanne most likely?
2. Father Ingles is impressed with George Bowlegs. Why?
3. Who is in the procession of the Council of the Gods?
4. What relationship do Ted Isaacs and Susanne share and what does Leaphorn think about it?
5. What effects does Leaphorn feel from the hypodermic dart?
6. What has Susanne learned about deer from George Bowlegs?
7. After leaving the Bowlegs hogan in Chapter 14, what is Leaphorn's plan for the investigation.
8. What is Ted Isaacs's background?
9. Who are the people who are hunting in Chapter 15, and what are they hunting?
10. What are the Koyemshi, and what is their significance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 3, the reader learns more about George Bowlegs through Leaphorn's eyes and in his conversation with George's younger brother, Cecil. This information leaves the reader feeling empathetic for both boys who live a life of loneliness and poverty. Which testimony from Chapter 3 is more powerful in its ability to generate the empathy: Leaphorn's observations or what Cecil says. Would the empathy be as strong with only perspective of the Bowlegs home life?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 7, the reader learns more about the teachings Leaphorn learned from his grandfather. Discuss how these teachings help Leaphorn as a detective. Compare Leaphorn's detecting methods to those of white culture.
Essay Topic 3
Leaphorn's tells Pasquaanti who the killer is, knowing that the Zuni will exact revenge on the man. Why does Leaphorn do this? Do you think that as a law enforcement officer that this is an easy or difficult decision for him to make? Does Leaphorn have any regrets?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)