|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what does Leaphorn compare to a broom handle?
2. In Chapter 19, what does Leaphorn find in the alley?
3. According to legend, who teaches Clumsy Boy the prayers for hunting deer?
4. John O' Malley tells Leaphorn that the killings are related to what?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 15, what does Leaphorn find on the saddleback slope?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although George Bowlegs is mentioned often in the book, the reader doesn't see him until Chapter 19 when he appears in front of Leaphorn.
2. Leaphorn realizes who the killer is but can't prove it. He gives the information to two people. Whom does he tell and why?
3. After leaving the Bowlegs hogan in Chapter 14, what is Leaphorn's plan for the investigation.
4. Who is in the procession of the Council of the Gods?
5. In Chapter 16, Leaphorn is shot with a hypodermic dart. How was this done?
6. What is Ted Isaacs's background?
7. What relationship do Ted Isaacs and Susanne share and what does Leaphorn think about it?
8. In Chapter 15, what disturbs Leaphorn about the dead deer killed by George Bowlegs?
9. What are the Koyemshi, and what is their significance?
10. Father Ingles is impressed with George Bowlegs. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leaphorn is disturbed by the scene at the commune in Chapter 6. Instead of hippies and love and peace, he finds a leader wearing expensive boots who intimidates the teen girl who lives there. Although Susanne obviously cares for George and Ernesto, Halsey is obvious in his disdain of the boys and of the law or "fuzz." Leaphorn also finds another young man on a bad "trip" at the commune. How do these events foreshadow what Leaphorn learns at the end of the chapter?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 13, Zuni spirituality is explored more fully as Father Ingles explains it to Leaphorn. Apparently, comparing the different religions was a discussion that Father Ingles shared with George as well. Compare and contrast the Zuni religion with Catholicism.
Essay Topic 3
Author Hillerman makes several references to the Navajo way of life being a lonely life. Leaphorn seems comfortable in his aloneness, while the loneliness leaves George Bowlegs searching for answers. In comparison, the non-Navajo Susanne is also alone, but this has been forced on her by the abuse against her. Discuss these three characters and how they cope with being alone. Does being alone the same as loneliness? For everyone or just some?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)