|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, where is the sky-diving exhibition that Leaphorn hears about on the radio?
2. In Chapter 14, Leaphorn is traveling on N.M. 53 until it turns into what road at the state line?
3. What is the color of the mask that Leaphorn describes to Pasquaanti?
4. In Chapter 16, what does Leaphorn find inside the fetish offering?
5. Who mentions "Thou shall not profane the Sacred Ways of Zuni"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ted Isaacs's background?
2. What are the Koyemshi, and what is their significance?
3. After leaving the Bowlegs hogan in Chapter 14, what is Leaphorn's plan for the investigation.
4. What has Susanne learned about deer from George Bowlegs?
5. In Chapter 16, Leaphorn is shot with a hypodermic dart. How was this done?
6. Leaphorn tells Susanne about Sa. Who or what is Sa?
7. What relationship do Ted Isaacs and Susanne share and what does Leaphorn think about it?
8. Who is in the procession of the Council of the Gods?
9. According to the Zuni beliefs, what will happen if the Shalako ceremonies aren't performed correctly?
10. What law-enforcement agencies are interested in the crimes at Zuni and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, the reader learns that the commune is named Jason's Fleece after the myth of Jason and the Golden Fleece. The Navajo have their own myths, such as that of Monster Slayer and Born of Water. Compare and contrast the myths of the different cultures in Dance Hall of the Dead and their symbolism.
Essay Topic 2
Author Hillerman makes several references to the Navajo way of life being a lonely life. Leaphorn seems comfortable in his aloneness, while the loneliness leaves George Bowlegs searching for answers. In comparison, the non-Navajo Susanne is also alone, but this has been forced on her by the abuse against her. Discuss these three characters and how they cope with being alone. Does being alone the same as loneliness? For everyone or just some?
Essay Topic 3
After the death of Shorty Bowlegs, Leaphorn assumes responsibility for Cecil Bowlegs. Discuss the Navajo concept of family and children.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)