|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Leaphorn accuse of salting the site?
2. Where does Leaphorn go after leaving Ted Isaacs?
3. Who states that deer are far-sighted?
4. What type of deer had been killed by George's gun?
5. How many people does Leaphorn estimate would be at Zuni village during Shalako?
Short Essay Questions
1. After leaving the Bowlegs hogan in Chapter 14, what is Leaphorn's plan for the investigation.
2. What relationship do Ted Isaacs and Susanne share and what does Leaphorn think about it?
3. According to the Zuni beliefs, what will happen if the Shalako ceremonies aren't performed correctly?
4. In Chapter 15, what disturbs Leaphorn about the dead deer killed by George Bowlegs?
5. What law-enforcement agencies are interested in the crimes at Zuni and why?
6. Leaphorn tells Susanne about Sa. Who or what is Sa?
7. Although George Bowlegs is mentioned often in the book, the reader doesn't see him until Chapter 19 when he appears in front of Leaphorn.
8. Who are the people who are hunting in Chapter 15, and what are they hunting?
9. When Dance Hall of the Dead ends, where is Susanne most likely?
10. Describe Leaphorn's view at the beginning of Chapter 18.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A meeting between the various law enforcement entities shows the different cultures and the differences. Through Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn's eyes, the reader learns of an antagonism or rivalry between his culture, the Navajo, and that of the Zuni. Yet since the crime involves two boys, one who is Navajo and the other who is Zuni, these two cultures must work together. Compare and contrast the Navajo and Zuni cultures as described in Chapter 2.
Essay Topic 2
Leaphorn is disturbed by the scene at the commune in Chapter 6. Instead of hippies and love and peace, he finds a leader wearing expensive boots who intimidates the teen girl who lives there. Although Susanne obviously cares for George and Ernesto, Halsey is obvious in his disdain of the boys and of the law or "fuzz." Leaphorn also finds another young man on a bad "trip" at the commune. How do these events foreshadow what Leaphorn learns at the end of the chapter?
Essay Topic 3
Although angry at Isaacs for choosing his job over Susanne, Leaphorn tells him all the facts and allows Isaacs to decide what to do with those facts. What do you think Isaacs will choose to do? Will he be honest about the dig site with authorities or will he take credit for his findings? Give reasons for your answers based on Isaacs's behavior and words throughout the book.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)