|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leaphorn find made of blue and yellow songbird feathers in Chapter 19?
2. In Chapter 11, what noise covers Leaphorn's arrival at the commune?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 15, what does Leaphorn find on the saddleback slope?
4. How many people does Leaphorn estimate would be at Zuni village during Shalako?
5. What do the Mudhead wear during the dance of Shalako?
Short Essay Questions
1. After leaving the Bowlegs hogan in Chapter 14, what is Leaphorn's plan for the investigation.
2. Leaphorn realizes who the killer is but can't prove it. He gives the information to two people. Whom does he tell and why?
3. Who are the people who are hunting in Chapter 15, and what are they hunting?
4. Describe Father Ingles.
5. Leaphorn tells Susanne about Sa. Who or what is Sa?
6. John O'Malley is watching for seven people he believes are involved in the narcotics operation. Who does Leaphorn recognize from the seven photographs?
7. Although George Bowlegs is mentioned often in the book, the reader doesn't see him until Chapter 19 when he appears in front of Leaphorn.
8. When Dance Hall of the Dead ends, where is Susanne most likely?
9. What is Ted Isaacs's background?
10. What effects does Leaphorn feel from the hypodermic dart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 4 manages to raise a larger societal issue as Leaphorn recalls a plaque he once saw in a Native American school that read, "Tradition is the Enemy of Progress." Leaphorn recognizes that the Zunis have been better able to cling to their traditional ways than the Navajo. It is the loss of some of the old ways of the Navajo that have sent George in search of something in Zuni religion. Because of the teachings of his grandfather in the old ways, Leaphorn expresses sadness that other Navajo don't have this in their lives. Discuss how traditional ways guide Leaphorn in his daily life and in his role as a police officer.
Essay Topic 2
Although angry at Isaacs for choosing his job over Susanne, Leaphorn tells him all the facts and allows Isaacs to decide what to do with those facts. What do you think Isaacs will choose to do? Will he be honest about the dig site with authorities or will he take credit for his findings? Give reasons for your answers based on Isaacs's behavior and words throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, it is revealed that if Ernesto Cata had lived, he would have grown up as a respected and honored member of the Zuni, even a leader. Compare and contrast Ernesto's possible future with George's probable future. Does this explain some of George's "crazy" behavior that several have reported to Leaphorn?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)