|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, Leaphorn is traveling on N.M. 53 until it turns into what road at the state line?
2. What does Leaphorn find made of blue and yellow songbird feathers in Chapter 19?
3. What is Halona?
4. What taboo did Ernesto worry he had broken?
5. Where did Ted Isaacs attend college for his undergraduate work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the people who are hunting in Chapter 15, and what are they hunting?
2. John O'Malley is watching for seven people he believes are involved in the narcotics operation. Who does Leaphorn recognize from the seven photographs?
3. What law-enforcement agencies are interested in the crimes at Zuni and why?
4. In Chapter 16, Leaphorn is shot with a hypodermic dart. How was this done?
5. According to the Zuni beliefs, what will happen if the Shalako ceremonies aren't performed correctly?
6. In Chapter 15, what disturbs Leaphorn about the dead deer killed by George Bowlegs?
7. What are the Koyemshi, and what is their significance?
8. After leaving the Bowlegs hogan in Chapter 14, what is Leaphorn's plan for the investigation.
9. What relationship do Ted Isaacs and Susanne share and what does Leaphorn think about it?
10. Although George Bowlegs is mentioned often in the book, the reader doesn't see him until Chapter 19 when he appears in front of Leaphorn.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the death of Shorty Bowlegs, Leaphorn assumes responsibility for Cecil Bowlegs. Discuss the Navajo concept of family and children.
Essay Topic 2
Leaphorn's tells Pasquaanti who the killer is, knowing that the Zuni will exact revenge on the man. Why does Leaphorn do this? Do you think that as a law enforcement officer that this is an easy or difficult decision for him to make? Does Leaphorn have any regrets?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 7, the reader learns more about the teachings Leaphorn learned from his grandfather. Discuss how these teachings help Leaphorn as a detective. Compare Leaphorn's detecting methods to those of white culture.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)