|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the proper cure for any who have been touched by Shorty's death?
2. Leaphorn estimates that Short Bowlegs was killed when?
3. In Chapter 2, what road does Leaphorn take from Shiprock to Zuni?
4. According to Leaphorn's observations, how many men and women live at the commune?
5. About what time did George leave the commune?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cecil Bowlegs call Leaphorn "uncle"? Are they related?
2. Leaphorn decides to take his rifle with him into the Bowlegs' hogan in Chapter 8. Why does he do this?
3. The reader learns about a member of Leaphorn's family in Chapter 7. Summarize who it is and why this person is important to Leaphorn.
4. What is the boy in Chapter 1 training for?
5. Susanne is taking care of Otis, who she explains is sick. What is wrong with Otis in Leaphorn's opinion?
6. In Chapter 8, why does Leaphorn decide to return to Shorty Bowlegs' hogan?
7. Describe Agent Baker and why his appearance doesn't match that of an FBI agent.
8. What does Leaphorn find when he enters the Bowlegs' hogan?
9. Describe the vehicle that Leaphorn travels in.
10. Why does Frank Bob Madman abandon his hogan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The FBI agent, John O'Malley, acts as if the paralyzing dart is not worth worrying about or filing charges against. What is O'Malley communicating to Leaphorn with his words and actions in Chapter 17? Is he showing prejudice against Leaphorn because he's Navajo or because he's just a local authority? How does O'Malley's attitude affect Leaphorn's decisions of what and how to investigate?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, the reader learns that the commune is named Jason's Fleece after the myth of Jason and the Golden Fleece. The Navajo have their own myths, such as that of Monster Slayer and Born of Water. Compare and contrast the myths of the different cultures in Dance Hall of the Dead and their symbolism.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 13, Zuni spirituality is explored more fully as Father Ingles explains it to Leaphorn. Apparently, comparing the different religions was a discussion that Father Ingles shared with George as well. Compare and contrast the Zuni religion with Catholicism.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)