|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the land where the commune sheep graze?
2. In Chapter 3, who says that George ran away from the kachina?
3. What grade in school are the two boys, Ernesto Cata and George Bowlegs?
4. In Chapter 2, what road does Leaphorn take from Shiprock to Zuni?
5. In Chapter 4, who is Ted Isaac's only companion for two days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Leaphorn realizes who the killer is but can't prove it. He gives the information to two people. Whom does he tell and why?
2. In Chapter 16, Leaphorn is shot with a hypodermic dart. How was this done?
3. Describe Leaphorn's view at the beginning of Chapter 18.
4. Why does Frank Bob Madman abandon his hogan?
5. According to the Zuni beliefs, what will happen if the Shalako ceremonies aren't performed correctly?
6. Who are the people who are hunting in Chapter 15, and what are they hunting?
7. Describe Father Ingles.
8. Why does Cecil Bowlegs call Leaphorn "uncle"? Are they related?
9. What had George asked of Susanne the last time she saw him?
10. What does Leaphorn see standing in the arbor of the commune in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, it is revealed that if Ernesto Cata had lived, he would have grown up as a respected and honored member of the Zuni, even a leader. Compare and contrast Ernesto's possible future with George's probable future. Does this explain some of George's "crazy" behavior that several have reported to Leaphorn?
Essay Topic 2
In the eighth chapter, the reader sees the differences in how Leaphorn and the FBI agent, John O'Malley, approach their jobs and how they work with others. Compare and contrast Leaphorn and O'Malley. Are their differences entirely cultural?
Essay Topic 3
Leaphorn tries to get Ted Isaacs to assume care of Suzanne, since both he and she profess to care for each other. Yet Isaacs doesn't want to jeopardize his chance at prestige and a good job. Isaacs rejects Susanne's safety for his own security. Does this make Ted Isaacs a bad man? Why do you think he makes this decision?
This section contains 1,890 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)