|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What distance does Leaphorn stop his truck from the roped-off dig site?
2. In Chapter 10, who is described as a baptized Christian and Catholic communicant?
3. Who are Bacobi and Atarque?
4. In Chapter 6, where is Leaphorn planning to sleep?
5. When was the last time Isaacs saw George Bowlegs and Ernesto Cata?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of tracks are found at the last place where Ernesto Cata is supposed to be?
2. What is the boy in Chapter 1 training for?
3. Leaphorn decides to take his rifle with him into the Bowlegs' hogan in Chapter 8. Why does he do this?
4. Describe Agent Baker and why his appearance doesn't match that of an FBI agent.
5. How do the four original men working this case react to Agents O'Malley and Baker?
6. What is distracting Leaphorn at the beginning of Chapter 10?
7. Susanne is taking care of Otis, who she explains is sick. What is wrong with Otis in Leaphorn's opinion?
8. Leaphorn first meets Susanne, one of the inhabitants of the commune in Chapter 6. Describe her.
9. In Chapter 6, what does Leaphorn learn when he checks in with the Ramah chapter house?
10. Describe where Ernesto Cata's body is found.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A meeting between the various law enforcement entities shows the different cultures and the differences. Through Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn's eyes, the reader learns of an antagonism or rivalry between his culture, the Navajo, and that of the Zuni. Yet since the crime involves two boys, one who is Navajo and the other who is Zuni, these two cultures must work together. Compare and contrast the Navajo and Zuni cultures as described in Chapter 2.
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 11 hints at Susanne's background. How does the author let the reader know about Susanne's troubled home without a specific statement to that fact? How has this made her a victim within the commune? What characters seems to actually care about Susanne?
Essay Topic 3
Leaphorn is disturbed by the scene at the commune in Chapter 6. Instead of hippies and love and peace, he finds a leader wearing expensive boots who intimidates the teen girl who lives there. Although Susanne obviously cares for George and Ernesto, Halsey is obvious in his disdain of the boys and of the law or "fuzz." Leaphorn also finds another young man on a bad "trip" at the commune. How do these events foreshadow what Leaphorn learns at the end of the chapter?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)