|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Cecil in Chapter 9, George said he was going to look for some kachinas at a place he couldn't pronounce. What letter does the place start with?
2. What kind of lunchbox does Cecil have?
3. Who helps Leaphorn change his flat tire?
4. What is taboo in the eight days leading to Shalako?
5. What does Cecil's lunchbox say on it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the landscape in Chapter 1.
2. What kinds of tracks are found at the last place where Ernesto Cata is supposed to be?
3. What does Leaphorn learn from retrieving Cecil's belongings from the hogan in Chapter 9?
4. Describe the commune called Jason's Fleece.
5. Why does Frank Bob Madman abandon his hogan?
6. In Chapter 7, Leaphorn spends several hours at the site where the bicycle was found. What is he doing for all that time and why?
7. What is distracting Leaphorn at the beginning of Chapter 10?
8. Describe the vehicle that Leaphorn travels in.
9. Explain the Reynolds Theory.
10. Describe Ted Isaacs' appearance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although it becomes important to Leaphorn to protect George and Susanne, he is first a detective. As a detective, he must rule them out not with his heart but with logic, which he is able to do. Explain how Leaphorn uses logic in Chapter 16 to add or rule out suspects or reasons for the deaths.
Essay Topic 2
After the death of Shorty Bowlegs, Leaphorn assumes responsibility for Cecil Bowlegs. Discuss the Navajo concept of family and children.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 13, Zuni spirituality is explored more fully as Father Ingles explains it to Leaphorn. Apparently, comparing the different religions was a discussion that Father Ingles shared with George as well. Compare and contrast the Zuni religion with Catholicism.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)