|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what does Leaphorn offer Cecil in an effort to get him to open up?
2. In Chapter 4, who is Ted Isaac's only companion for two days?
3. When does <i>Dance Hall of the Dead</i> begin?
4. Who is having a birthday in a few days and turning 13?
5. How many spikes does Leaphorn spy on Cata's right shoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the Reynolds Theory.
2. Susanne is taking care of Otis, who she explains is sick. What is wrong with Otis in Leaphorn's opinion?
3. Who are the people who are hunting in Chapter 15, and what are they hunting?
4. Describe Father Ingles.
5. What does Leaphorn find when he enters the Bowlegs' hogan?
6. Describe Leaphorn's view at the beginning of Chapter 18.
7. Leaphorn believes that George Bowlegs can survive easily enough in the wild until the snow comes. How does Leaphorn expect George to survive?
8. Describe Agent Baker and why his appearance doesn't match that of an FBI agent.
9. Describe the landscape in Chapter 1.
10. Leaphorn talks to young Navajo neighbors of the commune about its inhabitants. What information do they give Leaphorn?
Essay Topic 1
A meeting between the various law enforcement entities shows the different cultures and the differences. Through Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn's eyes, the reader learns of an antagonism or rivalry between his culture, the Navajo, and that of the Zuni. Yet since the crime involves two boys, one who is Navajo and the other who is Zuni, these two cultures must work together. Compare and contrast the Navajo and Zuni cultures as described in Chapter 2.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 10, it is revealed that if Ernesto Cata had lived, he would have grown up as a respected and honored member of the Zuni, even a leader. Compare and contrast Ernesto's possible future with George's probable future. Does this explain some of George's "crazy" behavior that several have reported to Leaphorn?
Essay Topic 3
Leaphorn tries to get Ted Isaacs to assume care of Suzanne, since both he and she profess to care for each other. Yet Isaacs doesn't want to jeopardize his chance at prestige and a good job. Isaacs rejects Susanne's safety for his own security. Does this make Ted Isaacs a bad man? Why do you think he makes this decision?
This section contains 1,837 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)