|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, how many sets of tracks does Leaphorn find?
2. What is Halona Itawana?
3. What is Pasquaanti's job?
4. In Chapter 4, what is described as the trademark of the Folsom culture?
5. Who is the Navajo friend of the Little Fire God?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leaphorn find when he enters the Bowlegs' hogan?
2. Describe where Ernesto Cata's body is found.
3. What is distracting Leaphorn at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. Leaphorn tells Susanne about Sa. Who or what is Sa?
5. What does George's note to his brother say?
6. What does Leaphorn learn from Shorty Bowlegs in Chapter 3?
7. What case had Leaphorn been working on before he was summoned to Zuni in Chapter 2?
8. Describe Ted Isaacs' appearance.
9. Describe John O'Malley.
10. What had George asked of Susanne the last time she saw him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 13, Zuni spirituality is explored more fully as Father Ingles explains it to Leaphorn. Apparently, comparing the different religions was a discussion that Father Ingles shared with George as well. Compare and contrast the Zuni religion with Catholicism.
Essay Topic 2
When Leaphorn is hit with the dart, he is able to realize that he must find a place to wait out the effects of the tranquilizer. The reader stays in Leaphorn's head as he hears the killer approach but is powerless to stop it. Although Leaphorn is also faced with hallucinations, he is still able to put more pieces of the puzzle together. What does this chapter tell you about Leaphorn's personality? If you were to meet him outside of his role as a police officer, what kind of man do you think he would be?
Essay Topic 3
Leaphorn tries to get Ted Isaacs to assume care of Suzanne, since both he and she profess to care for each other. Yet Isaacs doesn't want to jeopardize his chance at prestige and a good job. Isaacs rejects Susanne's safety for his own security. Does this make Ted Isaacs a bad man? Why do you think he makes this decision?
This section contains 1,762 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)