|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the hippies in the commune sometimes give rides to Young Husband and Young Wife?
2. What was the secret name given to Nashibitti at the Night Way Ceremonial?
3. In Chapter 8, who does Leaphorn consider the last untapped possibility?
4. When Chapter 2 opens, what is Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn doing?
5. How many people originally settled the commune?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of tracks are found at the last place where Ernesto Cata is supposed to be?
2. Leaphorn believes that George Bowlegs can survive easily enough in the wild until the snow comes. How does Leaphorn expect George to survive?
3. What does Leaphorn learn from retrieving Cecil's belongings from the hogan in Chapter 9?
4. What does "kachina" mean in Chapter 3?
5. How are the living conditions for the Zuni different from that of the Navajo?
6. Describe John O'Malley.
7. What had happened the last time that Ted Isaacs had seen Ernesto Cata and George Bowlegs?
8. The reader learns about a member of Leaphorn's family in Chapter 7. Summarize who it is and why this person is important to Leaphorn.
9. Explain the Reynolds Theory.
10. What does Leaphorn learn from Shorty Bowlegs in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While watching for George above the Zuni village, Leaphorn paints a vivid picture of his surroundings. This is something he has done in previous chapters as well. What do you think Leaphorn's feelings for his environment are? Does his environment affect his day-to-day life? If so, in what way?
Essay Topic 2
The FBI agent, John O'Malley, acts as if the paralyzing dart is not worth worrying about or filing charges against. What is O'Malley communicating to Leaphorn with his words and actions in Chapter 17? Is he showing prejudice against Leaphorn because he's Navajo or because he's just a local authority? How does O'Malley's attitude affect Leaphorn's decisions of what and how to investigate?
Essay Topic 3
Leaphorn is disturbed by the scene at the commune in Chapter 6. Instead of hippies and love and peace, he finds a leader wearing expensive boots who intimidates the teen girl who lives there. Although Susanne obviously cares for George and Ernesto, Halsey is obvious in his disdain of the boys and of the law or "fuzz." Leaphorn also finds another young man on a bad "trip" at the commune. How do these events foreshadow what Leaphorn learns at the end of the chapter?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)