|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what is described as the trademark of the Folsom culture?
2. Who refers to Leaphorn as Navajo fuzz?
3. What is the proper cure for any who have been touched by Shorty's death?
4. What is Leaphorn's clan?
5. How has Isaacs identified the anthropological site where he's digging?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Leaphorn spends several hours at the site where the bicycle was found. What is he doing for all that time and why?
2. What case had Leaphorn been working on before he was summoned to Zuni in Chapter 2?
3. Describe the commune called Jason's Fleece.
4. What is the job given to Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn in Chapter 2 and why?
5. Describe the landscape in Chapter 1.
6. What are Leaphorn's plans for Cecil after his father's death?
7. In Chapter 6, what does Leaphorn learn when he checks in with the Ramah chapter house?
8. Why does Frank Bob Madman abandon his hogan?
9. Leaphorn first meets Susanne, one of the inhabitants of the commune in Chapter 6. Describe her.
10. Describe John O'Malley.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the eighth chapter, the reader sees the differences in how Leaphorn and the FBI agent, John O'Malley, approach their jobs and how they work with others. Compare and contrast Leaphorn and O'Malley. Are their differences entirely cultural?
Essay Topic 2
When Leaphorn is hit with the dart, he is able to realize that he must find a place to wait out the effects of the tranquilizer. The reader stays in Leaphorn's head as he hears the killer approach but is powerless to stop it. Although Leaphorn is also faced with hallucinations, he is still able to put more pieces of the puzzle together. What does this chapter tell you about Leaphorn's personality? If you were to meet him outside of his role as a police officer, what kind of man do you think he would be?
Essay Topic 3
The FBI agent, John O'Malley, acts as if the paralyzing dart is not worth worrying about or filing charges against. What is O'Malley communicating to Leaphorn with his words and actions in Chapter 17? Is he showing prejudice against Leaphorn because he's Navajo or because he's just a local authority? How does O'Malley's attitude affect Leaphorn's decisions of what and how to investigate?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)