|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Bacobi and Atarque?
2. In Chapter 3, who says that George ran away from the kachina?
3. Who owns the land where the commune sheep graze?
4. Where is Leaphorn at 7:22 a.m. on December 2?
5. According to a neighbor, where is the owner of the commune land believed to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the Reynolds Theory.
2. Describe the commune called Jason's Fleece.
3. What kinds of tracks are found at the last place where Ernesto Cata is supposed to be?
4. The reader learns about a member of Leaphorn's family in Chapter 7. Summarize who it is and why this person is important to Leaphorn.
5. What case had Leaphorn been working on before he was summoned to Zuni in Chapter 2?
6. In Chapter 8, why does Leaphorn decide to return to Shorty Bowlegs' hogan?
7. Leaphorn talks to young Navajo neighbors of the commune about its inhabitants. What information do they give Leaphorn?
8. What had happened the last time that Ted Isaacs had seen Ernesto Cata and George Bowlegs?
9. Describe the boy called the Little Fire God in Chapter 1.
10. What does Leaphorn learn from Shorty Bowlegs in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A meeting between the various law enforcement entities shows the different cultures and the differences. Through Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn's eyes, the reader learns of an antagonism or rivalry between his culture, the Navajo, and that of the Zuni. Yet since the crime involves two boys, one who is Navajo and the other who is Zuni, these two cultures must work together. Compare and contrast the Navajo and Zuni cultures as described in Chapter 2.
Essay Topic 2
The first chapter of Dance Hall of the Dead not only shows the crime that the entire book centers on but it also provides scene and setting information important to the entire book. It sets the tone of the book. Discuss the details of the setting offered in Chapter 1 and how it introduces place, mood, and culture.
Essay Topic 3
After the death of Shorty Bowlegs, Leaphorn assumes responsibility for Cecil Bowlegs. Discuss the Navajo concept of family and children.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)