|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what is described as the trademark of the Folsom culture?
2. Which of these men is the McKinley County Deputy Sheriff?
3. In Chapter 4, who is Ted Isaac's only companion for two days?
4. What does Leaphorn bring out of the hogan that belongs to George?
5. In Chapter 6, what is the last message that Leaphorn receives from the Window Rock operator?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, why are there some things that the Little Fire God's friend, George Bowlegs, can't know?
2. What does George's note to his brother say?
3. Describe Ted Isaacs' appearance.
4. In Chapter 6, what does Leaphorn learn when he checks in with the Ramah chapter house?
5. Describe where Ernesto Cata's body is found.
6. Leaphorn believes that George Bowlegs can survive easily enough in the wild until the snow comes. How does Leaphorn expect George to survive?
7. The reader learns about a member of Leaphorn's family in Chapter 7. Summarize who it is and why this person is important to Leaphorn.
8. Describe the commune called Jason's Fleece.
9. What are Leaphorn's plans for Cecil after his father's death?
10. Describe the landscape in Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 11 hints at Susanne's background. How does the author let the reader know about Susanne's troubled home without a specific statement to that fact? How has this made her a victim within the commune? What characters seems to actually care about Susanne?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 7, the reader learns more about the teachings Leaphorn learned from his grandfather. Discuss how these teachings help Leaphorn as a detective. Compare Leaphorn's detecting methods to those of white culture.
Essay Topic 3
Leaphorn is disturbed by the scene at the commune in Chapter 6. Instead of hippies and love and peace, he finds a leader wearing expensive boots who intimidates the teen girl who lives there. Although Susanne obviously cares for George and Ernesto, Halsey is obvious in his disdain of the boys and of the law or "fuzz." Leaphorn also finds another young man on a bad "trip" at the commune. How do these events foreshadow what Leaphorn learns at the end of the chapter?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)