|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Leaphorn, what are the colors of dry country autumn where he lives?
2. In Chapter 6, who is wearing good, but dirty boots?
3. Isaacs shows Leaphorn a rectangular pink stone from the butt-end of a lance point. What is it made of?
4. In Chapter 5, what face turns to scarred white ice?
5. In Chapter 5, approximately how many sheep does Leaphorn see at the commune?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Agent Baker and why his appearance doesn't match that of an FBI agent.
2. What does George's note to his brother say?
3. Describe John O'Malley.
4. Explain the Bow Society as mentioned in Dance Hall of the Dead?
5. What had happened the last time that Ted Isaacs had seen Ernesto Cata and George Bowlegs?
6. What does Leaphorn find when he enters the Bowlegs' hogan?
7. Leaphorn talks to young Navajo neighbors of the commune about its inhabitants. What information do they give Leaphorn?
8. What had George asked of Susanne the last time she saw him?
9. The reader learns about a member of Leaphorn's family in Chapter 7. Summarize who it is and why this person is important to Leaphorn.
10. What is the boy in Chapter 1 training for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 13, Zuni spirituality is explored more fully as Father Ingles explains it to Leaphorn. Apparently, comparing the different religions was a discussion that Father Ingles shared with George as well. Compare and contrast the Zuni religion with Catholicism.
Essay Topic 2
The FBI agent, John O'Malley, acts as if the paralyzing dart is not worth worrying about or filing charges against. What is O'Malley communicating to Leaphorn with his words and actions in Chapter 17? Is he showing prejudice against Leaphorn because he's Navajo or because he's just a local authority? How does O'Malley's attitude affect Leaphorn's decisions of what and how to investigate?
Essay Topic 3
Leaphorn tries to get Ted Isaacs to assume care of Suzanne, since both he and she profess to care for each other. Yet Isaacs doesn't want to jeopardize his chance at prestige and a good job. Isaacs rejects Susanne's safety for his own security. Does this make Ted Isaacs a bad man? Why do you think he makes this decision?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)