|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Susanne in Chapter 6, what had George asked her about the day before?
2. What drug does Leaphorn ask if Otis took?
3. Who lives in the old hogans behind Hoski Butte?
4. What does Leaphorn bring out of the hogan that belongs to George?
5. When Chapter 2 opens, what is Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe where Ernesto Cata's body is found.
2. The reader learns about a member of Leaphorn's family in Chapter 7. Summarize who it is and why this person is important to Leaphorn.
3. What does Leaphorn learn from Shorty Bowlegs in Chapter 3?
4. Why does Cecil Bowlegs call Leaphorn "uncle"? Are they related?
5. What Navajo custom does Leaphorn honor when he arrives at the Bowlegs' hogan?
6. What is the job given to Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn in Chapter 2 and why?
7. What kinds of tracks are found at the last place where Ernesto Cata is supposed to be?
8. Leaphorn believes that George Bowlegs can survive easily enough in the wild until the snow comes. How does Leaphorn expect George to survive?
9. In Chapter 7, Leaphorn spends several hours at the site where the bicycle was found. What is he doing for all that time and why?
10. In Chapter 1, why are there some things that the Little Fire God's friend, George Bowlegs, can't know?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Author Hillerman makes several references to the Navajo way of life being a lonely life. Leaphorn seems comfortable in his aloneness, while the loneliness leaves George Bowlegs searching for answers. In comparison, the non-Navajo Susanne is also alone, but this has been forced on her by the abuse against her. Discuss these three characters and how they cope with being alone. Does being alone the same as loneliness? For everyone or just some?
Essay Topic 2
Leaphorn's tells Pasquaanti who the killer is, knowing that the Zuni will exact revenge on the man. Why does Leaphorn do this? Do you think that as a law enforcement officer that this is an easy or difficult decision for him to make? Does Leaphorn have any regrets?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 7, the reader learns more about the teachings Leaphorn learned from his grandfather. Discuss how these teachings help Leaphorn as a detective. Compare Leaphorn's detecting methods to those of white culture.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)