|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, who turns down Leaphorn's offer to help dig?
2. What does Leaphorn bring out of the hogan that belongs to George?
3. In Chapter 8, who does Leaphorn consider the last untapped possibility?
4. Where did Leaphorn attend college?
5. What is Naranjo's hat made of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe where Ernesto Cata's body is found.
2. What is the boy in Chapter 1 training for?
3. What does Leaphorn learn from Shorty Bowlegs in Chapter 3?
4. What had George asked of Susanne the last time she saw him?
5. Leaphorn first meets Susanne, one of the inhabitants of the commune in Chapter 6. Describe her.
6. Describe the landscape in Chapter 1.
7. What case had Leaphorn been working on before he was summoned to Zuni in Chapter 2?
8. What are Leaphorn's plans for Cecil after his father's death?
9. What does Leaphorn see standing in the arbor of the commune in Chapter 5?
10. What does "kachina" mean in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, the reader learns that the commune is named Jason's Fleece after the myth of Jason and the Golden Fleece. The Navajo have their own myths, such as that of Monster Slayer and Born of Water. Compare and contrast the myths of the different cultures in Dance Hall of the Dead and their symbolism.
Essay Topic 2
Although angry at Isaacs for choosing his job over Susanne, Leaphorn tells him all the facts and allows Isaacs to decide what to do with those facts. What do you think Isaacs will choose to do? Will he be honest about the dig site with authorities or will he take credit for his findings? Give reasons for your answers based on Isaacs's behavior and words throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
In the eighth chapter, the reader sees the differences in how Leaphorn and the FBI agent, John O'Malley, approach their jobs and how they work with others. Compare and contrast Leaphorn and O'Malley. Are their differences entirely cultural?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)