|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what does Leaphorn find inside the fetish offering?
(a) Coral, medallion, and blood.
(b) Arrow point, turquoise, and clay.
(c) Turquoise bead, tip of a lance point, and abalone shell.
(d) Wood carving, deer hair, and silver.
2. How many people does Leaphorn estimate would be at Zuni village during Shalako?
(a) 500 more than the usual population.
(b) Ten thousand.
(c) Four thousand.
(d) Seven to eight thousand.
3. What does Leaphorn find made of blue and yellow songbird feathers in Chapter 19?
(a) A prayer plume.
(b) A mask.
(c) A necklace.
(d) An arrow.
4. In Zuni mythology, what is the penalty for sacrilege?
(a) Sacrifice of belongings to those offended.
(b) Ostracizing from the tribe.
(c) A month of silence.
5. In Chapter 14, where is the sky-diving exhibition that Leaphorn hears about on the radio?
(a) Yah-Ta-Hey Trading Post.
(b) The old Zuni village.
(c) Black Rock Airstrip.
(d) Painted Desert.
6. In Chapter 16, what type of gun hits Leaphorn?
(c) .45 caliber.
(d) Carbon dioxide pellet gun.
7. How many law enforcement agencies are interested in the crimes at Zuni?
8. In Chapter 11, where does Leaphorn find Susanne?
(a) In the hogan.
(b) At the dig site.
(c) At the windmill.
(d) Taking a walk.
9. As Chapter 15 ends, Leaphorn is only able to take how many steps?
10. What taboo did Ernesto worry he had broken?
(a) Teaching George the Zuni religion.
(b) Stealing from Dr. Reynolds' truck.
(c) Talking about being Little Fire God to George.
(d) Feeling and expressing anger.
11. In Chapter 14, Leaphorn is traveling on N.M. 53 until it turns into what road at the state line?
(a) A.Z. 53
(b) U.S. Highway 40.
(c) U.S. Highway 666.
(d) Arizona 61.
12. In Chapter 11, what noise covers Leaphorn's arrival at the commune?
(a) The wind.
(b) An argument.
(c) Welding on the school bus.
13. In Chapter 18, what becomes keystone for Leaphorn?
(a) The flint from the fetish.
(b) Remembering songs of the Night Way.
(c) The sight of the ceremonial procession.
(d) The turquoise from the fetish.
14. What are Koyemshi?
(b) Sacred clowns.
(c) Representatives of the Gods.
15. What does Leaphorn give Ted Isaacs in the last chapter?
(a) The prayer plume.
(b) The flint from the fetish.
(c) A turquoise bear.
(d) A note from Susanne.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leaphorn do while Susanne cries?
2. How does Ted Isaacs refer to his family?
3. In Chapter 12, who suggests that the killings are based upon a feud between Navajo and Zuni?
4. When was the last time that Father Ingles spoke with Ernesto Cata?
5. According to legend, who teaches Clumsy Boy the prayers for hunting deer?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)