|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Halona?
(a) A canyon.
(b) A river.
(c) The Higher Place of the World.
(d) The Middle Place of the World.
2. In Chapter 16, Leaphorn sees the same kachina mask that he saw at Jason's Fleece. Where else has he seen this image in the book?
(a) At the Bowlegs hogan.
(b) Mural in the Zuni mission.
(c) In his dreams.
(d) At Arizona State.
3. How many people does Leaphorn estimate would be at Zuni village during Shalako?
(a) Seven to eight thousand.
(b) 500 more than the usual population.
(c) Ten thousand.
(d) Four thousand.
4. What are Acoma and Isleta?
(a) Other Pueblos.
(c) Nearby lakes.
(d) Towns in Arizona.
5. What type of deer had been killed by George's gun?
(a) Older, six-point buck.
(b) Older doe.
(c) Young doe.
(d) Young, four-point buck.
6. What are Shulawitsi and Salamobia?
(b) Important Zuni leaders.
(c) Zuni legends.
(d) Places in Zuni myths.
7. How many law enforcement agencies are interested in the crimes at Zuni?
8. In Chapter 19, to whom does Leaphorn first explain his theory of the crimes?
(b) Ed Pasquaanti.
(c) John O'Malley.
(d) Agent Baker.
9. How does Ted Isaacs refer to his family?
(a) Middle class upbringing in Ohio.
(b) Poor east Tennessee white trash.
(c) Absent; he grew up in foster homes.
(d) Emotionally distant, well off family in Florida.
10. What is Kothluwalawa?
(a) Zuni kachina.
(b) Dance Hall of the Dead.
(c) Origin myth.
(d) Zuni village.
11. In Chapter 18, what hangs over the Zuni pueblo?
(a) Thin layer of ice crystals.
(d) Blue smoke from cooking.
12. In Chapter 18, what becomes keystone for Leaphorn?
(a) The sight of the ceremonial procession.
(b) The turquoise from the fetish.
(c) The flint from the fetish.
(d) Remembering songs of the Night Way.
13. At the beginning of Chapter 19, who is Leaphorn looking for?
(a) The killer.
(b) George Bowlegs.
(c) Ed Pasquaanti.
(d) Father Ingles.
14. When was the last time that Father Ingles spoke with Ernesto Cata?
(a) Sunday Mass.
(b) Saturday's Confessional.
(c) More than a week previously.
(d) School on Friday.
15. In Chapter 16, what does Leaphorn compare to a broom handle?
(a) A tree near the lake where he looked for George.
(b) The hypodermic tube.
(c) The beak of the kachina mask.
(d) A spear found at the dig site.
Short Answer Questions
1. John O' Malley tells Leaphorn that the killings are related to what?
2. In Chapter 14, Leaphorn is traveling on N.M. 53 until it turns into what road at the state line?
3. In Chapter 11, how many sites is Reynolds sponsoring digs on?
4. According to legend, who teaches Clumsy Boy the prayers for hunting deer?
5. What does Ted Isaacs plan to do with the information he receives from Leaphorn in the last chapter?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)