|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Mudhead wear during the dance of Shalako?
(a) Leather breeches, moccasins, and a headband.
(b) Ceremonial robes.
(c) Black breechcloth, neck scarf, moccasins, and mask.
(d) Regular clothing and a mask.
2. How does Ted Isaacs refer to his family?
(a) Emotionally distant, well off family in Florida.
(b) Absent; he grew up in foster homes.
(c) Poor east Tennessee white trash.
(d) Middle class upbringing in Ohio.
3. What is the color of the mask that Leaphorn describes to Pasquaanti?
4. Who refers to George Bowlegs as "about half genius and half crazy"?
(a) Cecil Bowlegs.
(b) Father Ingles.
(c) Ted Isaacs.
5. What did Leaphorn experience in college with Tom Bob and Blackie Bisti?
(b) Road trip.
(c) Native American Church meeting.
(d) Visit to a shaman.
6. What is Halona?
(a) The Higher Place of the World.
(b) A canyon.
(c) The Middle Place of the World.
(d) A river.
7. What taboo did Ernesto worry he had broken?
(a) Feeling and expressing anger.
(b) Stealing from Dr. Reynolds' truck.
(c) Teaching George the Zuni religion.
(d) Talking about being Little Fire God to George.
8. In Chapter 14, what passenger does Leaphorn pick up on the way to the Zuni Lake?
(a) Cecil Bowlegs.
(b) A Zuni boy.
9. What does Ted Isaacs plan to do with the information he receives from Leaphorn in the last chapter?
(a) He decides to be honest and tell the school the truth.
(b) He decides to ignore what can't be proven.
(c) He decides to go after Susanne.
(d) The reader doesn't learn that.
10. In Chapter 18, what becomes keystone for Leaphorn?
(a) The turquoise from the fetish.
(b) Remembering songs of the Night Way.
(c) The sight of the ceremonial procession.
(d) The flint from the fetish.
11. In the early part of Chapter 16, what affects Leaphorn's ability to move and talk?
(d) A paralytic drug.
12. What are Shulawitsi and Salamobia?
(a) Places in Zuni myths.
(b) Zuni legends.
(c) Important Zuni leaders.
13. At the beginning of Chapter 15, what does Leaphorn find on the saddleback slope?
(a) Dead deer.
(b) Shotgun shell.
(c) Tracks of George's horse.
(d) Piece of a shirt in a bush.
14. In Chapter 14, Leaphorn is traveling on N.M. 53 until it turns into what road at the state line?
(a) U.S. Highway 666.
(b) Arizona 61.
(c) U.S. Highway 40.
(d) A.Z. 53
15. In Chapter 12, who suggests that the killings are based upon a feud between Navajo and Zuni?
(b) Ted O'Malley.
(c) Agent Baker.
(d) Ted Isaacs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the age and sex of Susanne's sibling?
2. In Chapter 16, what type of gun hits Leaphorn?
3. In Chapter 14, where is the sky-diving exhibition that Leaphorn hears about on the radio?
4. How many law enforcement agencies are interested in the crimes at Zuni?
5. What nickname has Leaphorn given the killer?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)