|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Halona?
(a) The Higher Place of the World.
(b) The Middle Place of the World.
(c) A canyon.
(d) A river.
2. In Chapter 14, what is hanging on the ranch gate?
(a) A "No Trespassing" sign.
(b) Three coyote skins.
(c) A "Property of the Federal Government" sign.
(d) A wolf skin.
3. In Chapter 19, to whom does Leaphorn first explain his theory of the crimes?
(a) John O'Malley.
(b) Ed Pasquaanti.
(c) Agent Baker.
4. How many people does Leaphorn estimate would be at Zuni village during Shalako?
(a) Four thousand.
(b) 500 more than the usual population.
(c) Ten thousand.
(d) Seven to eight thousand.
5. What is Kothluwalawa?
(a) Zuni village.
(b) Dance Hall of the Dead.
(c) Origin myth.
(d) Zuni kachina.
6. What are Shulawitsi and Salamobia?
(a) Zuni legends.
(b) Places in Zuni myths.
(d) Important Zuni leaders.
7. What do the Mudhead wear during the dance of Shalako?
(a) Black breechcloth, neck scarf, moccasins, and mask.
(b) Leather breeches, moccasins, and a headband.
(c) Regular clothing and a mask.
(d) Ceremonial robes.
8. Who does Leaphorn recognize from the photos that John O'Malley shows him?
(a) Ted Isaacs.
(c) Dr. Reynolds.
9. In Chapter 14, who performs the third search of the Bowlegs hogan?
(a) Cecil Bowlegs.
(b) The killer.
(c) Federal agents.
10. How many law enforcement agencies are interested in the crimes at Zuni?
11. In Chapter 16, Leaphorn sees the same kachina mask that he saw at Jason's Fleece. Where else has he seen this image in the book?
(a) In his dreams.
(b) Mural in the Zuni mission.
(c) At Arizona State.
(d) At the Bowlegs hogan.
12. Who states that deer are far-sighted?
(b) George Bowlegs.
13. At the beginning of Chapter 19, who is Leaphorn looking for?
(a) George Bowlegs.
(b) Father Ingles.
(c) The killer.
(d) Ed Pasquaanti.
14. In Chapter 18, what becomes keystone for Leaphorn?
(a) The turquoise from the fetish.
(b) Remembering songs of the Night Way.
(c) The sight of the ceremonial procession.
(d) The flint from the fetish.
15. What is the color of the mask that Leaphorn describes to Pasquaanti?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leaphorn do while Susanne cries?
2. In Chapter 18, what does Leaphorn believe will hide him from others in his stakeout over the Zuni village?
3. How does Ted Isaacs refer to his family?
4. In Chapter 16, what type of gun hits Leaphorn?
5. In Chapter 15, what do Leaphorn and Susanne share for dinner?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)