|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Pasquaanti's job?
(a) Federal Agent.
(b) Navajo Policeman.
(c) State Policeman.
(d) Chief of Zuni Police.
2. Whom does Leaphorn leave Cecil with after the death of Shorty Bowlegs?
(a) Jason's Fleece.
(b) A Franciscan brother at St. Anthony's.
(c) Navajo Social Services.
(d) The Cata family.
3. In Chapter 8, what is being whipped into a frantic thrashing?
(a) The wind.
(b) Juniper limbs.
(c) The door to the hogan.
4. In Chapter 3, how does Leaphorn think of the Zuni village?
5. What is the proper cure for any who have been touched by Shorty's death?
(a) Closing the smoke hole in the top.
(b) Arranging for the proper Singer and Sing.
(c) Bringing out a shaman.
(d) Tearing down the hogan.
6. According to a neighbor, where is the owner of the commune land believed to live?
(a) Window Rock.
(b) Santa Fe.
7. In Chapter 5, who does Leaphorn witness driving away from the commune?
(a) Ted Isaacs.
(c) Two men and two women.
(d) Dr. Reynolds.
8. In Chapter 3, who says that George ran away from the kachina?
(a) Shorty Bowlegs.
(b) Cecil Bowlegs.
(c) Ed Pasquaanti.
(d) Joe Leaphorn.
9. On what road is Leaphorn traveling in the last scene of Chapter 6?
(a) N.M. 53.
(b) The Ramah-Ojo Caliente Road.
(c) Interstate 40.
(d) The wagon trail.
10. In Chapter 10, who is described as a baptized Christian and Catholic communicant?
(b) George Bowlegs.
(c) Ernesto Cata.
(d) John O' Malley.
11. What distance does Leaphorn stop his truck from the roped-off dig site?
(a) 75 feet.
(b) 50 feet.
(c) 15 feet.
(d) 25 feet.
12. In Chapter 10, what does Leaphorn think is significant that O'Malley doesn't?
(a) Shorty Bowleg's death.
(b) The appearance of the bird man kachina.
(c) The missing Bowlegs horse.
(d) The note George left for Cecil.
13. By the end of Chapter 8, who arrives at the hogan?
(a) J.D. Hightower.
(b) Cecil Bowlegs.
(c) Father Ingles.
(d) Ted Isaacs.
14. In Chapter 6, what is the last message that Leaphorn receives from the Window Rock operator?
(a) He has a dentist appointment the next day.
(b) Ernesto Cata's body has been found.
(c) His supervisor wants to know about an embezzlement case.
(d) George Bowlegs has been sighted.
15. What is a kachina?
(a) Evil spirit.
(b) A toy doll.
(c) Navajo ancestor spirit or mask.
(d) Zuni ancestor spirit, mask, or wooden doll.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "When the dung beetle moves, know that something has moved it"?
2. In Chapter 8, what does Leaphorn find hanging from the hogan blanket rope?
3. In Chapter 6, for whom does Leaphorn feel an amused attraction?
4. In Chapter 4, what does Isaacs write on the envelope?
5. What does "dinee" mean?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)