|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Leaphorn at 7:22 a.m. on December 2?
(a) At Ernesto Cata's burial site.
(b) On the road to the Zuni village.
(c) At Shorty Bowleg's hogan.
(d) At the Ramah chapter house.
2. In Chapter 9, Leaphorn deduces that a horse is missing. Who has it?
(a) Dr. Reynolds.
(d) George Bowlegs.
3. What is Pasquaanti's job?
(a) Navajo Policeman.
(b) Federal Agent.
(c) Chief of Zuni Police.
(d) State Policeman.
4. In Chapter 4, who is Ted Isaac's only companion for two days?
(a) A scorpion.
(b) Dr. Reynolds.
(d) A female horned lark.
5. Who is in charge of the investigation introduced in Chapter 2?
(a) Joe Leaphorn.
(b) Ed Pasquaanti.
(c) J.D. Hightower.
(d) Cipriano Naranjo.
6. What does "dinee" mean?
(b) Anglo or white people.
(c) The people.
(d) Navajo police.
7. In Chapter 5, what face turns to scarred white ice?
(a) The moon.
(b) Shorty Bowlegs.
(c) A Zuni elder.
(d) Corn Mountain.
8. In Chapter 8, Leaphorn hears the sound of a bell. What does it come from?
(a) A goat.
(c) A dog.
(d) A horse.
9. What does Leaphorn find in the Bowleg's stables?
(a) One horse.
(b) Tracks of two horses.
(c) Two horses.
(d) Cecil Bowlegs.
10. In Chapter 5, what surprise does Leaphorn see emerging from the arbor?
(a) Ted Isaacs.
(b) George Bowlegs.
(c) A human with a deer head.
(d) A human with a bird head.
11. What is taboo in the eight days leading to Shalako?
(a) Eating before sundown.
(c) Associating with non-Zuni people.
12. According to Cecil, who stole something from the anthropologists at the dig site?
(a) A kachina.
(b) George Bowlegs.
(c) The hippies at the commune.
(d) Ernesto Cata.
13. What distance does Leaphorn stop his truck from the roped-off dig site?
(a) 50 feet.
(b) 25 feet.
(c) 75 feet.
(d) 15 feet.
14. Who are Bacobi and Atarque?
(a) Zuni police.
(b) Ernesto Cata's uncles.
(c) Bureau of Indian Affairs employees.
(d) Navajo herders.
15. Up to how many people live in a Zuni home?
(a) Twenty-five or thirty.
(b) Fifteen to twenty.
(d) Less than eight.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what road is Leaphorn traveling in the last scene of Chapter 6?
2. What did Susanne make George take from her the last time she saw him?
3. In Chapter 9, why is Cecil worried about removing anything from the hogan?
4. In Chapter 4, what is described as the trademark of the Folsom culture?
5. What language do words like Shulawitsi and Shalako come from?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)