|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the end of Chapter 8, who arrives at the hogan?
(a) Father Ingles.
(b) J.D. Hightower.
(c) Ted Isaacs.
(d) Cecil Bowlegs.
2. In Chapter 6, what is the last message that Leaphorn receives from the Window Rock operator?
(a) His supervisor wants to know about an embezzlement case.
(b) George Bowlegs has been sighted.
(c) Ernesto Cata's body has been found.
(d) He has a dentist appointment the next day.
3. Who is in charge of the investigation introduced in Chapter 2?
(a) Joe Leaphorn.
(b) Cipriano Naranjo.
(c) J.D. Hightower.
(d) Ed Pasquaanti.
4. Isaacs shows Leaphorn a rectangular pink stone from the butt-end of a lance point. What is it made of?
(a) Flaked flint.
(b) Parallet quartz.
(c) Petrified granite.
(d) Silicified bamboo.
5. In Chapter 2, Leaphorn is given an assignment. What is it?
(a) Investigate the blood on the bicycle.
(b) Find George Bowlegs.
(c) Find both boys.
(d) Find Ernesto Cata.
6. Who is the young person with the shaved head at the commune?
7. When Chapter 2 opens, what is Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn doing?
(a) Driving to Zuni.
(b) Watching a fly.
(c) Listening to Ed Pasquaanti.
(d) Talked with the deputy sheriff.
8. What does "dinee" mean?
(a) Anglo or white people.
(b) Navajo police.
(c) The people.
9. In Chapter 6, Leaphorn comes up with another explanation for the blood found where Ernesto Cata was last found?
(a) The blood of an unknown person.
(b) Deer blood.
(c) George Bowleg's blood.
(d) Sheep blood.
10. Who refers to Leaphorn as Navajo fuzz?
(d) Young Husband.
11. What mark is found on both Leaphorn's carryall and his shirt?
(a) A square patch with the state seal.
(b) A round seal saying Navajo.
(c) A round seal with a picture of a buffalo.
(d) A square patch with a picture of an arrow.
12. What kind of lunchbox does Cecil have?
(a) A scuffed Beatles lunchbox.
(b) A Snoopy lunchbox.
(c) A school bus lunchbox.
(d) A beat-up gray lunchbox.
13. According to Leaphorn's observations, how many men and women live at the commune?
(a) Four men and three women.
(b) Five men and two women.
(c) Three men and five women.
(d) Six men and four women.
14. In gathering up Cecil's clothing in Chapter 9, what does Leaphorn pack in a grocery sack?
(a) A single shirt.
(b) A shirt, underwear, and three pairs of socks.
(c) Underwear and two pairs of socks.
(d) A pair of pants and a shirt.
15. Leaphorn estimates that Short Bowlegs was killed when?
(a) 30 minutes before Leaphorn's arrival.
(b) Several hours.
(c) Early that morning.
(d) The day before.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ernesto Cata is one of the missing boys. What other name or role does the reader know Cata by?
2. In Chapter 6, who is wearing good, but dirty boots?
3. What did Susanne make George take from her the last time she saw him?
4. What distance does Leaphorn stop his truck from the roped-off dig site?
5. In Chapter 7, how many sets of tracks does Leaphorn find?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)