|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dick's last name in the novel?
2. Yuki tells the writer that the receptionist's name from the Dolphin Hotel is what in Chapter 27?
3. What film do the writer and Yuki go to see in Chapter 37?
4. The call girl who has been sent to the writer's room in Chapter 29 tells him that she has been paid for how many nights?
5. In Chapter 29, Yuki and the writer make a trip to visit Amé where they meet her newest conquest, a one-armed poet named what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What encounter does the protagonist attempt to hide from Yuki in Chapter 29? What is her reaction?
2. Why does the protagonist agree to go on a trip with Yuki in Chapter 27? Whom does he invite to come along?
3. What do the police ask the protagonist at the station in Chapter 21? What is his response?
4. Where does the protagonist encounter Bookish in Chapter 35? What does Bookish say?
5. What does the protagonist find when he visits Yuki in Chapter 37?
6. What conversation takes place between the protagonist and Yuki's mother in Chapter 29? How does the writer feel upon leaving?
7. What do the police present to the protagonist as the cause of his interrogation in Chapter 21? How does the protagonist respond?
8. How is the protagonist's interrogation described in Chapter 22?
9. What new character is introduced in Chapter 29? Where are they?
10. How does the relationship between the protagonist and Dick progress in Chapter 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the author's style and use of suspense and foreboding in the narrative. What builds up to the presence of the Sheep Man?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrator's treatment by the police and the events in Chapters 22 and 23. Why did the narrator not summon a lawyer?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss objective in the reading. What does the protagonist want? How does he go about achieving his goals? How do these objectives change?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)