|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has sent a call girl to the writer's room in Chapter 29?
2. How does Yuki say Kiki died in Chapter 38?
3. Yuki returns where in Chapter 33?
4. How does Dick die in Chapter 34?
5. In Chapter 24, the writer is intrigued by Hiraku Makimura's opulent lifestyle, including __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has died in Chapter 34? What conversation takes place between the protagonist and Yuki regarding the death?
2. What do the police present to the protagonist as the cause of his interrogation in Chapter 21? How does the protagonist respond?
3. What does Yuki reveal after seeing the film "Unrequited Love" in Chapter 38?
4. What is the protagonist's emotional state in Chapter 20? What does Yuki tell him about it?
5. What leads up to the protagonist's eventual release in Chapter 22?
6. What does the protagonist find when he visits Yuki in Chapter 37?
7. What is the protagonist's impression of the police in Chapter 21? What takes place?
8. What first encounter does the protagonist relate to Gotanda in Chapter 34?
9. What conversation does the protagonist have with Yuki regarding their communication in Chapter 20?
10. What does Yuki reveal about the hotel receptionist in Chapter 27? What does the writer learn when he contacts her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the objectives and emotional state of the protagonist in Chapters 12 and 13. How has the appearance of the Sheep Man changed the protagonist and his objectives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of abandonment in the novel. How does this theme apply to both the narrator and to Yuki?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Hawaii and discuss the new information learned from Miss Yumiyoshi in Chapters 27 and 28. How does this information affect the protagonist's objectives?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)