|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 31, the writer goes where?
2. In Chapter 20, the writer says that his and Yuki's one-way communication isn't fair and that she should give him what?
3. The receptionist at the Dolphin Hotel tells the writer that she is now afraid to do what in Chapter 27?
4. Yuki returns where in Chapter 33?
5. What sport do Hiraku Makimura and the writer discuss in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads up to the protagonist's encounter with Gotanda in Chapter 39?
2. What conversation takes place between the protagonist and Yuki's mother in Chapter 29? How does the writer feel upon leaving?
3. How does the relationship between the protagonist and Dick progress in Chapter 30?
4. What is the protagonist's impression of the police in Chapter 21? What takes place?
5. What does Yuki reveal about the hotel receptionist in Chapter 27? What does the writer learn when he contacts her?
6. What conversation does the protagonist have with Yuki regarding their communication in Chapter 20?
7. What do the police ask the protagonist at the station in Chapter 21? What is his response?
8. Where does the protagonist encounter Bookish in Chapter 35? What does Bookish say?
9. Who has died in Chapter 34? What conversation takes place between the protagonist and Yuki regarding the death?
10. What information does Bookish reveal about Mei and the investigation in Chapter 35?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the objectives and emotional state of the protagonist in Chapters 12 and 13. How has the appearance of the Sheep Man changed the protagonist and his objectives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of the Sheep Man in the novel. What is indicated by the style of speech the Sheep Man uses?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Sapporo and the new Dolphin Hotel, as well as the foreshadowing in Chapter 6. What is foreshadowed in the young girl spotted by the narrator?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)