|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 34, the writer spends time with Gotanda and tells him about the first time he saw whom?
2. In Chapter 23, the writer tells Yuki about the Sheep Man and how he sort of works as ____________.
3. The receptionist at the Dolphin Hotel tells the writer that she is now afraid to do what in Chapter 27?
4. What does the writer find inside an apartment after following Kiki in Chapter 30?
5. In Chapter 29, alone at the hotel, the writer is greeted by a woman named what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What first encounter does the protagonist relate to Gotanda in Chapter 34?
2. What information does Bookish reveal about Mei and the investigation in Chapter 35?
3. What does Yuki reveal after seeing the film "Unrequited Love" in Chapter 38?
4. What do the police ask the protagonist at the station in Chapter 21? What is his response?
5. Describe the continued dialogue between the police and the protagonist in Chapter 21. How does the narrator feel about his treatment?
6. What is the protagonist's impression of the police in Chapter 21? What takes place?
7. What new character is introduced in Chapter 29? Where are they?
8. What is the protagonist's emotional state in Chapter 20? What does Yuki tell him about it?
9. What happens when the protagonist spots Kiki in Chapter 30? Where does this encounter lead him?
10. What leads up to the protagonist's encounter with Gotanda in Chapter 39?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Sapporo and the new Dolphin Hotel, as well as the foreshadowing in Chapter 6. What is foreshadowed in the young girl spotted by the narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the biography and works of author Haruki Murakami. What are common themes and stylistic elements in the author's works?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of the Sheep Man in the novel. What is indicated by the style of speech the Sheep Man uses?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)