|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dick dies while he is out doing what in Chapter 34?
2. Who does Yuki hope to visit on a trip with the writer in Chapter 27?
3. In Chapter 24, the writer is intrigued by Hiraku Makimura's opulent lifestyle, including __________.
4. Where does Yuki suggest she and the writer take a trip in Chapter 27?
5. What does the writer find inside an apartment after following Kiki in Chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads up to the protagonist's encounter with Gotanda in Chapter 39?
2. What leads up to the protagonist's eventual release in Chapter 22?
3. What does Yuki reveal after seeing the film "Unrequited Love" in Chapter 38?
4. What encounter does the protagonist attempt to hide from Yuki in Chapter 29? What is her reaction?
5. Where does Yuki suggest she and the protagonist go on a trip in Chapter 27? Why?
6. What does the protagonist find when he visits Yuki in Chapter 37?
7. What do the police ask the protagonist at the station in Chapter 21? What is his response?
8. Describe the continued dialogue between the police and the protagonist in Chapter 21. How does the narrator feel about his treatment?
9. What first encounter does the protagonist relate to Gotanda in Chapter 34?
10. What is the protagonist's emotional state in Chapter 36? Why does he go to visit Yuki?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Hawaii and discuss the new information learned from Miss Yumiyoshi in Chapters 27 and 28. How does this information affect the protagonist's objectives?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Ryoichi Gotanda in the narrative. What feelings does the protagonist have about his former classmate?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the objectives and emotional state of the protagonist in Chapters 12 and 13. How has the appearance of the Sheep Man changed the protagonist and his objectives?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)