|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 21, the police arrive at the writer's apartment and ask him to go where with them?
2. In Chapter 38, the writer takes Yuki where?
3. In Chapter 20, the writer says that his and Yuki's one-way communication isn't fair and that she should give him what?
4. In Chapter 33, the writer begins to try to connect things together with what?
5. Whom does the writer find to act like a wooden figure in Chapter 37?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation takes place between the protagonist and Yuki's mother in Chapter 29? How does the writer feel upon leaving?
2. What does the protagonist find when he visits Yuki in Chapter 37?
3. What leads up to the protagonist's encounter with Gotanda in Chapter 39?
4. What happens when the protagonist spots Kiki in Chapter 30? Where does this encounter lead him?
5. What do the police ask the protagonist at the station in Chapter 21? What is his response?
6. How does the relationship between the protagonist and Dick progress in Chapter 30?
7. What new character is introduced in Chapter 29? Where are they?
8. How is the protagonist's interrogation described in Chapter 22?
9. What is the protagonist's emotional state in Chapter 20? What does Yuki tell him about it?
10. What does Yuki reveal about the hotel receptionist in Chapter 27? What does the writer learn when he contacts her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrator's treatment by the police and the events in Chapters 22 and 23. Why did the narrator not summon a lawyer?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the biography and works of author Haruki Murakami. What are common themes and stylistic elements in the author's works?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the objectives and emotional state of the protagonist in Chapters 12 and 13. How has the appearance of the Sheep Man changed the protagonist and his objectives?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)