|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he is released from the police station in Chapter 23, the writer thinks of whom and wonders if she too will be killed?
2. What nickname did Yuki acquire due to her sensitive observations in school?
3. What object did the police find to tie the writer to the murder victim in Chapter 21?
4. How does Dick die in Chapter 34?
5. In Chapter 30, the writer and Yuki are driving where when the writer sees Kiki on the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the continued dialogue between the police and the protagonist in Chapter 21. How does the narrator feel about his treatment?
2. What leads up to the protagonist's encounter with Gotanda in Chapter 39?
3. What is the protagonist's emotional state in Chapter 36? Why does he go to visit Yuki?
4. Where does Yuki suggest she and the protagonist go on a trip in Chapter 27? Why?
5. What leads up to the protagonist's eventual release in Chapter 22?
6. How does the relationship between the protagonist and Dick progress in Chapter 30?
7. Why does the protagonist agree to go on a trip with Yuki in Chapter 27? Whom does he invite to come along?
8. What conversation does the protagonist have with Yuki regarding their communication in Chapter 20?
9. What encounter does the protagonist attempt to hide from Yuki in Chapter 29? What is her reaction?
10. What do the police present to the protagonist as the cause of his interrogation in Chapter 21? How does the protagonist respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of the Sheep Man in the novel. What is indicated by the style of speech the Sheep Man uses?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the settings of Haneda, Tokyo and Akasaka in the narrative. What leads the writer to each of these locales?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Ryoichi Gotanda in the narrative. What feelings does the protagonist have about his former classmate?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)