|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the writer call to explain his situation from the police precinct in Chapter 21?
2. In Chapter 31, there is finally an article about whom in the newspaper?
3. In Chapter 38, the writer takes Yuki where?
4. Who does Yuki say has killed Kiki in Chapter 38?
5. Hiraku Makimura offers to pay the writer if he will __________ in Chapter 24.
Short Essay Questions
1. What encounter does the protagonist attempt to hide from Yuki in Chapter 29? What is her reaction?
2. How is the protagonist's interrogation described in Chapter 22?
3. What do the police present to the protagonist as the cause of his interrogation in Chapter 21? How does the protagonist respond?
4. Where does the protagonist encounter Bookish in Chapter 35? What does Bookish say?
5. What conversation takes place between the protagonist and Yuki's mother in Chapter 29? How does the writer feel upon leaving?
6. What leads up to the protagonist's eventual release in Chapter 22?
7. What new character is introduced in Chapter 29? Where are they?
8. Where does Yuki suggest she and the protagonist go on a trip in Chapter 27? Why?
9. What information does Bookish reveal about Mei and the investigation in Chapter 35?
10. What conversation does the protagonist have with Yuki regarding their communication in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify the setting of the novel and the novel's protagonist. In what country and time period is the novel set?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Ryoichi Gotanda in the narrative. What feelings does the protagonist have about his former classmate?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss objective in the reading. What does the protagonist want? How does he go about achieving his goals? How do these objectives change?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)