|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 31, there is finally an article about whom in the newspaper?
2. In Chapter 31, the writer leaves a message for whom?
3. In Chapter 30, who reads poetry to the writer?
4. Yuki returns where in Chapter 33?
5. Yuki tells the writer that the receptionist's name from the Dolphin Hotel is what in Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the protagonist's emotional state in Chapter 20? What does Yuki tell him about it?
2. What conversation does the protagonist have with Yuki regarding their communication in Chapter 20?
3. What information does Bookish reveal about Mei and the investigation in Chapter 35?
4. How is the protagonist's interrogation described in Chapter 22?
5. What encounter does the protagonist attempt to hide from Yuki in Chapter 29? What is her reaction?
6. What conversation takes place between the protagonist and Yuki's mother in Chapter 29? How does the writer feel upon leaving?
7. What do the police ask the protagonist at the station in Chapter 21? What is his response?
8. What is the protagonist's emotional state in Chapter 36? Why does he go to visit Yuki?
9. What happens when the protagonist spots Kiki in Chapter 30? Where does this encounter lead him?
10. What new character is introduced in Chapter 29? Where are they?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Kiki in the narrative. How has Kiki's role in the protagonist's life changed up until this point?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the relationship that Yuki has with her parents. How does this neglect affect the narrator and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Hawaii and discuss the new information learned from Miss Yumiyoshi in Chapters 27 and 28. How does this information affect the protagonist's objectives?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)