|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gotanda drops by in Chapter 39, he and the protagonist go out for what?
2. In Chapter 20, the writer says that his and Yuki's one-way communication isn't fair and that she should give him what?
3. Amé tells the writer that she hopes for what type of relationship with Yuki in Chapter 29?
4. In Chapter 23, the writer tells Yuki about the Sheep Man and how he sort of works as ____________.
5. What object did the police find to tie the writer to the murder victim in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yuki reveal about the hotel receptionist in Chapter 27? What does the writer learn when he contacts her?
2. What encounter does the protagonist attempt to hide from Yuki in Chapter 29? What is her reaction?
3. What do the police present to the protagonist as the cause of his interrogation in Chapter 21? How does the protagonist respond?
4. What happens when the protagonist spots Kiki in Chapter 30? Where does this encounter lead him?
5. Why does the protagonist agree to go on a trip with Yuki in Chapter 27? Whom does he invite to come along?
6. Who has died in Chapter 34? What conversation takes place between the protagonist and Yuki regarding the death?
7. What is the protagonist's emotional state in Chapter 20? What does Yuki tell him about it?
8. Describe the continued dialogue between the police and the protagonist in Chapter 21. How does the narrator feel about his treatment?
9. Where does the protagonist encounter Bookish in Chapter 35? What does Bookish say?
10. What is the protagonist's impression of the police in Chapter 21? What takes place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify the setting of the novel and the novel's protagonist. In what country and time period is the novel set?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrator's treatment by the police and the events in Chapters 22 and 23. Why did the narrator not summon a lawyer?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Kiki in the narrative. How has Kiki's role in the protagonist's life changed up until this point?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)