|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the murder victim the police question the writer about in Chapter 21?
2. In Chapter 37, the writer recommends that Yuki return where for a few days?
3. In Chapter 35, the cop reveals to the writer that it is a mystery why Mei worked as what?
4. In Chapter 37, the writer visits Yuki where?
5. Amé tells the writer that she hopes for what type of relationship with Yuki in Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the police present to the protagonist as the cause of his interrogation in Chapter 21? How does the protagonist respond?
2. How is the protagonist's interrogation described in Chapter 22?
3. What happens when the protagonist spots Kiki in Chapter 30? Where does this encounter lead him?
4. What is the protagonist's emotional state in Chapter 36? Why does he go to visit Yuki?
5. What first encounter does the protagonist relate to Gotanda in Chapter 34?
6. Describe the continued dialogue between the police and the protagonist in Chapter 21. How does the narrator feel about his treatment?
7. What conversation takes place between the protagonist and Yuki's mother in Chapter 29? How does the writer feel upon leaving?
8. What does Yuki reveal after seeing the film "Unrequited Love" in Chapter 38?
9. Where does the protagonist encounter Bookish in Chapter 35? What does Bookish say?
10. Why does the protagonist agree to go on a trip with Yuki in Chapter 27? Whom does he invite to come along?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the characters of Fisherman and Bookish in the novel. How do these characters indicate the rising action of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism and conflict in Chapter 5. What conflict does the writer meet when he attempts to inquire about the old hotel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Yuki in the novel. How does the protagonist relate to this young girl? What does Yuki symbolize to the narrator?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)