|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does Yuki say Kiki's body was transported in, in Chapter 38?
2. In Chapter 29, Yuki and the writer make a trip to visit Amé where they meet her newest conquest, a one-armed poet named what?
3. What sport do Hiraku Makimura and the writer discuss in Chapter 24?
4. Yuki decides to ____________ while the writer talks to Hiraku Makimura in Chapter 24.
5. In Chapter 37, the writer visits Yuki where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the protagonist's interrogation described in Chapter 22?
2. Why does the protagonist agree to go on a trip with Yuki in Chapter 27? Whom does he invite to come along?
3. What does the protagonist find when he visits Yuki in Chapter 37?
4. What leads up to the protagonist's eventual release in Chapter 22?
5. What conversation takes place between the protagonist and Yuki's mother in Chapter 29? How does the writer feel upon leaving?
6. What is the protagonist's impression of the police in Chapter 21? What takes place?
7. What first encounter does the protagonist relate to Gotanda in Chapter 34?
8. What conversation does the protagonist have with Yuki regarding their communication in Chapter 20?
9. What do the police ask the protagonist at the station in Chapter 21? What is his response?
10. What does Yuki reveal after seeing the film "Unrequited Love" in Chapter 38?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify the setting of the novel and the novel's protagonist. In what country and time period is the novel set?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Yuki in the novel. How does the protagonist relate to this young girl? What does Yuki symbolize to the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Ryoichi Gotanda in the narrative. What feelings does the protagonist have about his former classmate?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)