|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 20, the writer goes to the movies to see what film?
2. In Chapter 35, the cop reveals to the writer that it is a mystery why Mei worked as what?
3. Gotanda talks about wanting to do what in Chapter 34?
4. Whom does the writer call to explain his situation from the police precinct in Chapter 21?
5. In Chapter 31, there is finally an article about whom in the newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the protagonist's interrogation described in Chapter 22?
2. What first encounter does the protagonist relate to Gotanda in Chapter 34?
3. What conversation takes place between the protagonist and Yuki's mother in Chapter 29? How does the writer feel upon leaving?
4. Describe the continued dialogue between the police and the protagonist in Chapter 21. How does the narrator feel about his treatment?
5. What do the police ask the protagonist at the station in Chapter 21? What is his response?
6. What is the protagonist's emotional state in Chapter 36? Why does he go to visit Yuki?
7. What happens when the protagonist spots Kiki in Chapter 30? Where does this encounter lead him?
8. What conversation does the protagonist have with Yuki regarding their communication in Chapter 20?
9. What encounter does the protagonist attempt to hide from Yuki in Chapter 29? What is her reaction?
10. Why does the protagonist agree to go on a trip with Yuki in Chapter 27? Whom does he invite to come along?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Sapporo and the new Dolphin Hotel, as well as the foreshadowing in Chapter 6. What is foreshadowed in the young girl spotted by the narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of the Sheep Man in the novel. What is indicated by the style of speech the Sheep Man uses?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of abandonment in the novel. How does this theme apply to both the narrator and to Yuki?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)