|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the writer and the girl arrive in Chapter 16?
2. What is the only item of furniture in the Sheep Man's room?
3. What is significant about the manner in which the Sheep Man speaks in the novel?
4. The interior of the hotel in Chapter 5 is described as what by the narrator?
5. The narrator of the novel describes the Dolphin Hotel as having been built where in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what assignment does the protagonist go in Chapter 2? How does he describe his job?
2. How does the narrator compare the old Dolphin Hotel to its replacement in Chapter 6?
3. What information does Bookish reveal about Mei and the investigation in Chapter 35?
4. What leads up to the protagonist's eventual release in Chapter 22?
5. How does Yuki describe her relationship with her parents in Chapter 16?
6. When did the protagonist re-enter society after his depression, as described in Chapter 2?
7. What is Yuki's reaction when she is told of the death in Chapter 41? What news does she relate from her life?
8. What does the protagonist discover at the library in Chapter 7?
9. Describe the continued dialogue between the police and the protagonist in Chapter 21. How does the narrator feel about his treatment?
10. What is symbolized in the narrator's dream at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Dick in the narrative and the unique relationship Yuki shares with her mother. How does the protagonist feel about Amé's absence from Yuki's life?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the relationship that Yuki has with her parents. How does this neglect affect the narrator and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss objective in the reading. What does the protagonist want? How does he go about achieving his goals? How do these objectives change?
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)