|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The assignment the protagonist goes on in Chapter 2 involves writing about what?
2. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must go where in Chapter 3?
3. What literary style does the narrator describe as rhetoric for rhetoric's sake in Chapter 17?
4. What is the profession of Yuki's mother in the novel?
5. What has the Dolphin Hotel been renamed in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What jealousies consume the protagonist in Chapter 14? Why?
2. When did the protagonist re-enter society after his depression, as described in Chapter 2?
3. What causes the protagonist to encounter "Unrequited Love" in Chapter 14? What is his reaction to the film?
4. How does the protagonist describe Ryoichi Gotanda in Chapter 8?
5. What does the protagonist discover at the library in Chapter 7?
6. How does the protagonist describe his entrance into his profession in Chapter 3?
7. What fantasy consumes the protagonist in Chapter 9?
8. What events take place when the protagonist awakens in Chapter 14?
9. How does the narrator compare the old Dolphin Hotel to its replacement in Chapter 6?
10. What led to a previous depression of the protagonist's, as described in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Kiki in the narrative. How has Kiki's role in the protagonist's life changed up until this point?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the author's style and use of suspense and foreboding in the narrative. What builds up to the presence of the Sheep Man?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Ryoichi Gotanda in the narrative. What feelings does the protagonist have about his former classmate?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)