|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Sheep Man warns that the writer could get stuck in what in Chapter 11?
2. What is the young girl doing whom the narrator spots in the hotel bar in Chapter 6?
3. What is the name of Yuki's mother in the novel?
4. Whom does the writer promise to have dinner with when he returns in Chapter 15?
5. When the protagonist thinks of the Dolphin Hotel in Chapter 1, he recalls it as being what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the police ask the protagonist at the station in Chapter 21? What is his response?
2. How does the hotel receptionist describe her experience on the sixteenth floor in Chapter 7?
3. How does the relationship between the protagonist and Dick progress in Chapter 30?
4. What events take place when the protagonist awakens in Chapter 14?
5. Where does the protagonist decide to go after his assignment ends in Chapter 4? What does he find upon arrival?
6. What does the protagonist ask of his former business partner in Chapter 8?
7. Where does the protagonist encounter Bookish in Chapter 35? What does Bookish say?
8. How does the narrator pass his day in Chapter 7? What are his emotions like?
9. What is symbolized in the narrator's dream at the end of the novel?
10. What encounter does the protagonist attempt to hide from Yuki in Chapter 29? What is her reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the biography and works of author Haruki Murakami. What are common themes and stylistic elements in the author's works?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the settings of Haneda, Tokyo and Akasaka in the narrative. What leads the writer to each of these locales?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of abandonment in the novel. How does this theme apply to both the narrator and to Yuki?
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)