|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the young girl whom the writer accompanies on her flight in Chapter 16?
2. What is the only item of furniture in the Sheep Man's room?
3. In Chapter 9, the writer develops an elaborate fantasy about what actress?
4. In Chapter 15, the writer is asked to accompany a young girl on a flight because the girl's mother had left her there to take an assignment where?
5. Whom does the writer promise to have dinner with when he returns in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the protagonist describe his entrance into his profession in Chapter 3?
2. Where does the protagonist decide to go after his assignment ends in Chapter 4? What does he find upon arrival?
3. How does the narrator pass his day in Chapter 7? What are his emotions like?
4. On what assignment does the protagonist go in Chapter 2? How does he describe his job?
5. Where does the author arrive in Chapter 4? What does he do after arriving?
6. What thoughts consume the protagonist in Chapter 13? Why?
7. What events take place when the protagonist awakens in Chapter 14?
8. What jealousies consume the protagonist in Chapter 14? Why?
9. What stranger does the writer feel a strange connection with in Chapter 6?
10. How does Yuki describe her relationship with her parents in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss objective in the reading. What does the protagonist want? How does he go about achieving his goals? How do these objectives change?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify the setting of the novel and the novel's protagonist. In what country and time period is the novel set?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the relationship that Yuki has with her parents. How does this neglect affect the narrator and why?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)