|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrative voice of the novel?
2. What is the name of Yuki's father in the novel?
3. What does the writer sit on in the strange room in Chapter 11?
4. What is the profession of Yuki's father in the novel?
5. In Chapter 9, the writer develops an elaborate fantasy about an actress playing what historical figure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the protagonist to encounter "Unrequited Love" in Chapter 14? What is his reaction to the film?
2. Why does the hotel receptionist speak under false pretenses in Chapter 7?
3. How does the hotel receptionist describe her experience on the sixteenth floor in Chapter 7?
4. Where does the protagonist decide to go after his assignment ends in Chapter 4? What does he find upon arrival?
5. What events take place when the protagonist awakens in Chapter 14?
6. What does the protagonist discover at the library in Chapter 7?
7. What favor does the hotel receptionist ask of the protagonist in Chapter 15? What is his response?
8. How does the protagonist describe his entrance into his profession in Chapter 3?
9. Where does the protagonist tell his business associates he must go in Chapter 3? Why?
10. How does the narrator describe the Dolphin Hotel in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the biography and works of author Haruki Murakami. What are common themes and stylistic elements in the author's works?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism and conflict in Chapter 5. What conflict does the writer meet when he attempts to inquire about the old hotel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of abandonment in the novel. How does this theme apply to both the narrator and to Yuki?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)