|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the writer sit on in the strange room in Chapter 11?
2. What is the profession of Yuki's father in the novel?
3. The narrator refers to his job as shoveling what in Chapter 2?
4. Whom does Yuki mention which chills the writer in Chapter 19?
5. Who told the writer that not knowing is what hurts other people, as revealed in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the protagonist discover at the library in Chapter 7?
2. How is the protagonist of the novel introduced in Chapter 1? What is he obsessed with in the beginning of the narrative?
3. On what assignment does the protagonist go in Chapter 2? How does he describe his job?
4. Where does the protagonist decide to go after his assignment ends in Chapter 4? What does he find upon arrival?
5. What fantasy consumes the protagonist in Chapter 9?
6. Where does the author arrive in Chapter 4? What does he do after arriving?
7. When did the protagonist re-enter society after his depression, as described in Chapter 2?
8. Where does the protagonist arrive in Chapter 16? Where does he decide to stay?
9. Why does the hotel receptionist speak under false pretenses in Chapter 7?
10. What causes the protagonist to encounter "Unrequited Love" in Chapter 14? What is his reaction to the film?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the author's style and use of suspense and foreboding in the narrative. What builds up to the presence of the Sheep Man?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Sapporo and the new Dolphin Hotel, as well as the foreshadowing in Chapter 6. What is foreshadowed in the young girl spotted by the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the characters of Fisherman and Bookish in the novel. How do these characters indicate the rising action of the narrative?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)