|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of Yuki's father in the novel?
2. For how long did the protagonist remain reclusive following his divorce and depression, as described in Chapter 2?
3. Where do the writer and photographer arrive in the beginning of Chapter 4?
4. The narrator considers what to be a stupid name for a band in Chapter 6?
5. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must take a trip for how long in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what assignment does the protagonist go in Chapter 2? How does he describe his job?
2. How does the protagonist describe Ryoichi Gotanda in Chapter 8?
3. What thoughts consume the protagonist in Chapter 13? Why?
4. How does the protagonist describe the interior of the hotel in Chapter 5?
5. How does the protagonist describe his entrance into his profession in Chapter 3?
6. What led to a previous depression of the protagonist's, as described in Chapter 2?
7. What stranger does the writer feel a strange connection with in Chapter 6?
8. When did the protagonist re-enter society after his depression, as described in Chapter 2?
9. Where does the protagonist tell his business associates he must go in Chapter 3? Why?
10. What fantasy consumes the protagonist in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Kiki in the narrative. How has Kiki's role in the protagonist's life changed up until this point?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the characters of Fisherman and Bookish in the novel. How do these characters indicate the rising action of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of the hotel receptionist in the novel, and her story about the sixteenth floor. How might this be another element of foreshadowing?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)