|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times has the protagonist been divorced in the novel?
2. The Sheep Man's world is a place in the shadows where people go when they need to find out what?
3. Where do the writer and photographer arrive in the beginning of Chapter 4?
4. What is the profession of the protagonist in the novel?
5. What is the name of Yuki's mother in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads the protagonist to consider moving to Sapporo in Chapter 44?
2. How does the narrator describe the Dolphin Hotel in Chapter 1?
3. How does the protagonist describe Ryoichi Gotanda in Chapter 8?
4. What conversation takes place between the protagonist and Yuki's mother in Chapter 29? How does the writer feel upon leaving?
5. What do the police ask the protagonist at the station in Chapter 21? What is his response?
6. What thoughts consume the protagonist in Chapter 13? Why?
7. How does the relationship between the protagonist and Dick progress in Chapter 30?
8. What causes the protagonist to encounter "Unrequited Love" in Chapter 14? What is his reaction to the film?
9. When did the protagonist re-enter society after his depression, as described in Chapter 2?
10. Where does the protagonist encounter Bookish in Chapter 35? What does Bookish say?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the settings of Haneda, Tokyo and Akasaka in the narrative. What leads the writer to each of these locales?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the objectives and emotional state of the protagonist in Chapters 12 and 13. How has the appearance of the Sheep Man changed the protagonist and his objectives?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of abandonment in the novel. How does this theme apply to both the narrator and to Yuki?
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)