|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only item of furniture in the Sheep Man's room?
2. What word refers to people or works that are experimental or innovative, particularly with respect to art, culture, and politics?
3. For how long does the narrator say he stood staring agape at the building in Chapter 4?
4. What pet did the protagonist have which died in his flashback in Chapter 2?
5. How old is the girl that the narrator sees in the bar in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the protagonist ask of his former business partner in Chapter 8?
2. How does the narrator pass his day in Chapter 7? What are his emotions like?
3. When did the protagonist re-enter society after his depression, as described in Chapter 2?
4. What movie release does the protagonist read about in Chapter 8? What are his feelings about the film?
5. How does the hotel receptionist describe her experience on the sixteenth floor in Chapter 7?
6. How does Yuki describe her relationship with her parents in Chapter 16?
7. What jealousies consume the protagonist in Chapter 14? Why?
8. How is the protagonist of the novel introduced in Chapter 1? What is he obsessed with in the beginning of the narrative?
9. Where does the protagonist tell his business associates he must go in Chapter 3? Why?
10. Where does the protagonist decide to go after his assignment ends in Chapter 4? What does he find upon arrival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of abandonment in the novel. How does this theme apply to both the narrator and to Yuki?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify the setting of the novel and the novel's protagonist. In what country and time period is the novel set?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Dick in the narrative and the unique relationship Yuki shares with her mother. How does the protagonist feel about Amé's absence from Yuki's life?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)