|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the writer have breakfast in Chapter 14?
2. What is the young girl doing whom the narrator spots in the hotel bar in Chapter 6?
3. The young girl tells the writer that she and her mother have a place to stay where in Chapter 16?
4. What is the name of the woman who lived with the writer at the Dolphin Hotel?
5. What is the profession of Yuki's father in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What favor does the hotel receptionist ask of the protagonist in Chapter 15? What is his response?
2. What stranger does the writer feel a strange connection with in Chapter 6?
3. How does the protagonist describe his entrance into his profession in Chapter 3?
4. Where does the protagonist arrive in Chapter 16? Where does he decide to stay?
5. How does the protagonist describe Ryoichi Gotanda in Chapter 8?
6. What does the protagonist discover at the library in Chapter 7?
7. What does the protagonist ask of his former business partner in Chapter 8?
8. Where does the protagonist decide to go after his assignment ends in Chapter 4? What does he find upon arrival?
9. Why does the hotel receptionist speak under false pretenses in Chapter 7?
10. How is the protagonist of the novel introduced in Chapter 1? What is he obsessed with in the beginning of the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of abandonment in the novel. How does this theme apply to both the narrator and to Yuki?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Sapporo and the new Dolphin Hotel, as well as the foreshadowing in Chapter 6. What is foreshadowed in the young girl spotted by the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Kiki in the narrative. How has Kiki's role in the protagonist's life changed up until this point?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)