|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Ryoichi Gotanda's latest movie in the novel?
2. In Chapter 8, the writer calls his former business partner where?
3. The assignment the protagonist goes on in Chapter 2 involves writing for what?
4. How does the receptionist describe the air as smelling just before she had a strange experience in the hotel in Chapter 7?
5. The receptionist at the hotel talks to the writer under the guise of discussing what in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the protagonist arrive in Chapter 16? Where does he decide to stay?
2. On what assignment does the protagonist go in Chapter 2? How does he describe his job?
3. How does Yuki describe her relationship with her parents in Chapter 16?
4. How is the protagonist of the novel introduced in Chapter 1? What is he obsessed with in the beginning of the narrative?
5. How does the hotel receptionist describe her experience on the sixteenth floor in Chapter 7?
6. Where does the protagonist tell his business associates he must go in Chapter 3? Why?
7. How does the protagonist feel when he returns to his hotel room in Chapter 12? When does he sleep and awaken?
8. What stranger does the writer feel a strange connection with in Chapter 6?
9. Where does the protagonist decide to go after his assignment ends in Chapter 4? What does he find upon arrival?
10. How does the protagonist describe Ryoichi Gotanda in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Gotanda and the actions and objectives of the protagonist in Chapter 26. What does the narrator hope to learn from Gotanda?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the author's style and use of suspense and foreboding in the narrative. What builds up to the presence of the Sheep Man?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the objectives and emotional state of the protagonist in Chapters 12 and 13. How has the appearance of the Sheep Man changed the protagonist and his objectives?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)