|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long did the protagonist remain reclusive following his divorce and depression, as described in Chapter 2?
2. The writer and photographer take a day after the assignment to do what in Chapter 4?
3. After the assignment is finished, the writer decides to go where in Chapter 4?
4. What is the name of Yuki's mother in the novel?
5. In Chapter 15, the writer decides to book a flight where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What movie release does the protagonist read about in Chapter 8? What are his feelings about the film?
2. What does the protagonist discover at the library in Chapter 7?
3. What led to a previous depression of the protagonist's, as described in Chapter 2?
4. Where does the protagonist arrive in Chapter 16? Where does he decide to stay?
5. Where does the protagonist decide to go after his assignment ends in Chapter 4? What does he find upon arrival?
6. How does Yuki describe her relationship with her parents in Chapter 16?
7. How does the narrator describe the Dolphin Hotel in Chapter 1?
8. What thoughts consume the protagonist in Chapter 13? Why?
9. How does the narrator pass his day in Chapter 7? What are his emotions like?
10. What events take place when the protagonist awakens in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of the hotel receptionist in the novel, and her story about the sixteenth floor. How might this be another element of foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism and conflict in Chapter 5. What conflict does the writer meet when he attempts to inquire about the old hotel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Ryoichi Gotanda in the narrative. What feelings does the protagonist have about his former classmate?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)