|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In describing Ryoichi Gotanda, the writer comments that he never understood how someone could be so what?
2. What is the young girl doing the following morning when the narrator sees her again in Chapter 6?
3. What is the name of the young girl whom the writer accompanies on her flight in Chapter 16?
4. How old is the protagonist of the novel?
5. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must go where in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What thoughts consume the protagonist in Chapter 13? Why?
2. What does the protagonist ask of his former business partner in Chapter 8?
3. How does the protagonist describe the interior of the hotel in Chapter 5?
4. How does Yuki describe her relationship with her parents in Chapter 16?
5. Where does the protagonist tell his business associates he must go in Chapter 3? Why?
6. What jealousies consume the protagonist in Chapter 14? Why?
7. What favor does the hotel receptionist ask of the protagonist in Chapter 15? What is his response?
8. How is the protagonist of the novel introduced in Chapter 1? What is he obsessed with in the beginning of the narrative?
9. How does the protagonist feel when he returns to his hotel room in Chapter 12? When does he sleep and awaken?
10. Where does the author arrive in Chapter 4? What does he do after arriving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Kiki in the narrative. How has Kiki's role in the protagonist's life changed up until this point?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the biography and works of author Haruki Murakami. What are common themes and stylistic elements in the author's works?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the settings of Haneda, Tokyo and Akasaka in the narrative. What leads the writer to each of these locales?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)