|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has it been since the protagonist has seen Kiki in Chapter 4?
2. Where do the writer and the girl arrive in Chapter 16?
3. How many times has the protagonist been divorced in the novel?
4. When the receptionist comes to talk to the writer in Chapter 7, he cannot get what individual out of his mind?
5. The Sheep Man says that the only thing the writer can do is what in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what assignment does the protagonist go in Chapter 2? How does he describe his job?
2. What is symbolized in the narrator's dream at the end of the novel?
3. What information does Bookish reveal about Mei and the investigation in Chapter 35?
4. What leads the protagonist to consider moving to Sapporo in Chapter 44?
5. Where does the protagonist tell his business associates he must go in Chapter 3? Why?
6. What jealousies consume the protagonist in Chapter 14? Why?
7. What new character is introduced in Chapter 29? Where are they?
8. How does the hotel receptionist describe her experience on the sixteenth floor in Chapter 7?
9. How is the protagonist of the novel introduced in Chapter 1? What is he obsessed with in the beginning of the narrative?
10. Who has died in Chapter 40? What is the protagonist's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of the hotel receptionist in the novel, and her story about the sixteenth floor. How might this be another element of foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Yuki in the novel. How does the protagonist relate to this young girl? What does Yuki symbolize to the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Gotanda and the actions and objectives of the protagonist in Chapter 26. What does the narrator hope to learn from Gotanda?
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)