|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The writer and photographer take a day after the assignment to do what in Chapter 4?
2. In the stead where the Dolphin Hotel once stood is a building that is how many stories tall in Chapter 4?
3. For how long did the protagonist remain reclusive following his divorce and depression, as described in Chapter 2?
4. In Chapter 9, the narrator has an eerie experience on what floor of the hotel?
5. Who answers the door when the writers knocks in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the author arrive in Chapter 4? What does he do after arriving?
2. Where does the protagonist arrive in Chapter 16? Where does he decide to stay?
3. What stranger does the writer feel a strange connection with in Chapter 6?
4. What fantasy consumes the protagonist in Chapter 9?
5. What does the protagonist discover at the library in Chapter 7?
6. How does the protagonist describe Ryoichi Gotanda in Chapter 8?
7. Where does the protagonist decide to go after his assignment ends in Chapter 4? What does he find upon arrival?
8. How does the protagonist feel when he returns to his hotel room in Chapter 12? When does he sleep and awaken?
9. How does the narrator compare the old Dolphin Hotel to its replacement in Chapter 6?
10. How does Yuki describe her relationship with her parents in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism and conflict in Chapter 5. What conflict does the writer meet when he attempts to inquire about the old hotel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of the Sheep Man in the novel. What is indicated by the style of speech the Sheep Man uses?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the characters of Fisherman and Bookish in the novel. How do these characters indicate the rising action of the narrative?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)