|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Sheep Man warns that the writer could get stuck in what in Chapter 11?
2. In Chapter 15, the writer decides to book a flight where?
3. What word refers to people or works that are experimental or innovative, particularly with respect to art, culture, and politics?
4. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must go where in Chapter 3?
5. For how long does the narrator say he stood staring agape at the building in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did the protagonist re-enter society after his depression, as described in Chapter 2?
2. How does the narrator describe the Dolphin Hotel in Chapter 1?
3. What led to a previous depression of the protagonist's, as described in Chapter 2?
4. On what assignment does the protagonist go in Chapter 2? How does he describe his job?
5. How does the narrator compare the old Dolphin Hotel to its replacement in Chapter 6?
6. What events take place when the protagonist awakens in Chapter 14?
7. What jealousies consume the protagonist in Chapter 14? Why?
8. What movie release does the protagonist read about in Chapter 8? What are his feelings about the film?
9. How is the protagonist of the novel introduced in Chapter 1? What is he obsessed with in the beginning of the narrative?
10. What thoughts consume the protagonist in Chapter 13? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Sapporo and the new Dolphin Hotel, as well as the foreshadowing in Chapter 6. What is foreshadowed in the young girl spotted by the narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of the hotel receptionist in the novel, and her story about the sixteenth floor. How might this be another element of foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Yuki in the novel. How does the protagonist relate to this young girl? What does Yuki symbolize to the narrator?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)