Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the receptionist describe the air as smelling just before she had a strange experience in the hotel in Chapter 7?
2. In Chapter 9, the writer is restless and wishes that the receptionist did not have what that night?
3. Whom does the writer promise to have dinner with when he returns in Chapter 15?
4. Who told the writer that not knowing is what hurts other people, as revealed in Chapter 13?
5. For how long did the protagonist remain reclusive following his divorce and depression, as described in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the protagonist ask of his former business partner in Chapter 8?
2. What does the protagonist find when he visits Yuki in Chapter 37?
3. How does the protagonist feel when he returns to his hotel room in Chapter 12? When does he sleep and awaken?
4. What fantasy consumes the protagonist in Chapter 9?
5. What events take place when the protagonist awakens in Chapter 14?
6. What is symbolized in the narrator's dream at the end of the novel?
7. How does the hotel receptionist describe her experience on the sixteenth floor in Chapter 7?
8. Where does the author arrive in Chapter 4? What does he do after arriving?
9. What led to a previous depression of the protagonist's, as described in Chapter 2?
10. What does Yuki reveal about the hotel receptionist in Chapter 27? What does the writer learn when he contacts her?
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify the setting of the novel and the novel's protagonist. In what country and time period is the novel set?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the settings of Haneda, Tokyo and Akasaka in the narrative. What leads the writer to each of these locales?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of abandonment in the novel. How does this theme apply to both the narrator and to Yuki?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)