|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has it been since the protagonist has seen Kiki in Chapter 4?
2. For how long did the protagonist remain reclusive following his divorce and depression, as described in Chapter 2?
3. The character named Kiki was what before becoming an actress?
4. What kind of car does the protagonist drive?
5. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must go where in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the author arrive in Chapter 4? What does he do after arriving?
2. What thoughts consume the protagonist in Chapter 13? Why?
3. When did the protagonist re-enter society after his depression, as described in Chapter 2?
4. What led to a previous depression of the protagonist's, as described in Chapter 2?
5. How does the protagonist describe his entrance into his profession in Chapter 3?
6. How does the protagonist describe the interior of the hotel in Chapter 5?
7. On what assignment does the protagonist go in Chapter 2? How does he describe his job?
8. How does Yuki describe her relationship with her parents in Chapter 16?
9. What causes the protagonist to encounter "Unrequited Love" in Chapter 14? What is his reaction to the film?
10. How does the protagonist feel when he returns to his hotel room in Chapter 12? When does he sleep and awaken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the author's style and use of suspense and foreboding in the narrative. What builds up to the presence of the Sheep Man?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss objective in the reading. What does the protagonist want? How does he go about achieving his goals? How do these objectives change?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of the hotel receptionist in the novel, and her story about the sixteenth floor. How might this be another element of foreshadowing?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)