|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long did the protagonist remain reclusive following his divorce and depression, as described in Chapter 2?
2. What literary style does the narrator describe as rhetoric for rhetoric's sake in Chapter 17?
3. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must take a trip for how long in Chapter 3?
4. At what time does the writer go to dinner in Chapter 13?
5. In describing Ryoichi Gotanda, the writer comments that he never understood how someone could be so what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the protagonist arrive in Chapter 16? Where does he decide to stay?
2. What thoughts consume the protagonist in Chapter 13? Why?
3. How does the protagonist feel when he returns to his hotel room in Chapter 12? When does he sleep and awaken?
4. Where does the protagonist decide to go after his assignment ends in Chapter 4? What does he find upon arrival?
5. What led to a previous depression of the protagonist's, as described in Chapter 2?
6. On what assignment does the protagonist go in Chapter 2? How does he describe his job?
7. What jealousies consume the protagonist in Chapter 14? Why?
8. How does the narrator describe the Dolphin Hotel in Chapter 1?
9. What does the protagonist ask of his former business partner in Chapter 8?
10. How does Yuki describe her relationship with her parents in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify the setting of the novel and the novel's protagonist. In what country and time period is the novel set?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrator's treatment by the police and the events in Chapters 22 and 23. Why did the narrator not summon a lawyer?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the objectives and emotional state of the protagonist in Chapters 12 and 13. How has the appearance of the Sheep Man changed the protagonist and his objectives?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)