|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The protagonist makes an analogy of the Dolphin Hotel to what in Chapter 1?
2. The Sheep Man tells the writer that his people were chased where long ago in Chapter 11?
3. What is the name of Yuki's mother in the novel?
4. After the assignment is finished, the writer decides to go where in Chapter 4?
5. The Sheep Man's world is a place in the shadows where people go when they need to find out what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to a previous depression of the protagonist's, as described in Chapter 2?
2. What events take place when the protagonist awakens in Chapter 14?
3. What causes the protagonist to encounter "Unrequited Love" in Chapter 14? What is his reaction to the film?
4. How does Yuki describe her relationship with her parents in Chapter 16?
5. How does the protagonist describe Ryoichi Gotanda in Chapter 8?
6. How does the protagonist describe the interior of the hotel in Chapter 5?
7. On what assignment does the protagonist go in Chapter 2? How does he describe his job?
8. How is the protagonist of the novel introduced in Chapter 1? What is he obsessed with in the beginning of the narrative?
9. What does the protagonist ask of his former business partner in Chapter 8?
10. How does the narrator pass his day in Chapter 7? What are his emotions like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of the hotel receptionist in the novel, and her story about the sixteenth floor. How might this be another element of foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Yuki in the novel. How does the protagonist relate to this young girl? What does Yuki symbolize to the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Kiki in the narrative. How has Kiki's role in the protagonist's life changed up until this point?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)