|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Yuki's father in the novel?
2. What is the narrative voice of the novel?
3. For how long does the narrator say he stood staring agape at the building in Chapter 4?
4. What is the only item of furniture in the Sheep Man's room?
5. Ryoichi Gotanda was a former what to the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to a previous depression of the protagonist's, as described in Chapter 2?
2. What movie release does the protagonist read about in Chapter 8? What are his feelings about the film?
3. What leads the protagonist to consider moving to Sapporo in Chapter 44?
4. What thoughts consume the protagonist in Chapter 13? Why?
5. What does the protagonist find when he visits Yuki in Chapter 37?
6. What new character is introduced in Chapter 29? Where are they?
7. What do the police present to the protagonist as the cause of his interrogation in Chapter 21? How does the protagonist respond?
8. What encounter does the protagonist attempt to hide from Yuki in Chapter 29? What is her reaction?
9. How does the protagonist feel when he returns to his hotel room in Chapter 12? When does he sleep and awaken?
10. What conversation takes place between the protagonist and Yuki's mother in Chapter 29? How does the writer feel upon leaving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the author's style and use of suspense and foreboding in the narrative. What builds up to the presence of the Sheep Man?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify the setting of the novel and the novel's protagonist. In what country and time period is the novel set?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrator's treatment by the police and the events in Chapters 22 and 23. Why did the narrator not summon a lawyer?
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)