|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The receptionist at the hotel had a strange experience on what floor, as related in Chapter 7?
2. Where does the protagonist go on assignment in Chapter 2?
3. What is significant about the manner in which the Sheep Man speaks in the novel?
4. What is the profession of Yuki's father in the novel?
5. What is the name of Ryoichi Gotanda's latest movie in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stranger does the writer feel a strange connection with in Chapter 6?
2. How does the protagonist feel when he returns to his hotel room in Chapter 12? When does he sleep and awaken?
3. Where does the protagonist arrive in Chapter 16? Where does he decide to stay?
4. How does the narrator pass his day in Chapter 7? What are his emotions like?
5. Where does the author arrive in Chapter 4? What does he do after arriving?
6. Where does the protagonist tell his business associates he must go in Chapter 3? Why?
7. What fantasy consumes the protagonist in Chapter 9?
8. How does the narrator describe the Dolphin Hotel in Chapter 1?
9. What movie release does the protagonist read about in Chapter 8? What are his feelings about the film?
10. How does the protagonist describe his entrance into his profession in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of the Sheep Man in the novel. What is indicated by the style of speech the Sheep Man uses?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Dick in the narrative and the unique relationship Yuki shares with her mother. How does the protagonist feel about Amé's absence from Yuki's life?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the characters of Fisherman and Bookish in the novel. How do these characters indicate the rising action of the narrative?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)