|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Yuki's mother in the novel?
2. In the stead where the Dolphin Hotel once stood is a building that is how many stories tall in Chapter 4?
3. In Chapter 15, the writer is asked to accompany a young girl on a flight because the girl's mother had left her there to take an assignment where?
4. Who told the writer that not knowing is what hurts other people, as revealed in Chapter 13?
5. In Chapter 9, the narrator has an eerie experience on what floor of the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the protagonist describe Ryoichi Gotanda in Chapter 8?
2. What led to a previous depression of the protagonist's, as described in Chapter 2?
3. How does the narrator compare the old Dolphin Hotel to its replacement in Chapter 6?
4. How does Yuki describe her relationship with her parents in Chapter 16?
5. How does the hotel receptionist describe her experience on the sixteenth floor in Chapter 7?
6. On what assignment does the protagonist go in Chapter 2? How does he describe his job?
7. How does the narrator describe the Dolphin Hotel in Chapter 1?
8. What fantasy consumes the protagonist in Chapter 9?
9. What favor does the hotel receptionist ask of the protagonist in Chapter 15? What is his response?
10. How does the protagonist feel when he returns to his hotel room in Chapter 12? When does he sleep and awaken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify the setting of the novel and the novel's protagonist. In what country and time period is the novel set?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the settings of Haneda, Tokyo and Akasaka in the narrative. What leads the writer to each of these locales?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Kiki in the narrative. How has Kiki's role in the protagonist's life changed up until this point?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)