|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time does the writer go to dinner in Chapter 13?
2. Where is the Dolphin Hotel located?
3. The Sheep Man says that the only thing the writer can do is what in Chapter 11?
4. What is the profession of Yuki's father in the novel?
5. The writer and photographer take a day after the assignment to do what in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the protagonist decide to go after his assignment ends in Chapter 4? What does he find upon arrival?
2. How does the protagonist describe Ryoichi Gotanda in Chapter 8?
3. On what assignment does the protagonist go in Chapter 2? How does he describe his job?
4. How does the narrator pass his day in Chapter 7? What are his emotions like?
5. How does the protagonist describe his entrance into his profession in Chapter 3?
6. What led to a previous depression of the protagonist's, as described in Chapter 2?
7. How is the protagonist of the novel introduced in Chapter 1? What is he obsessed with in the beginning of the narrative?
8. How does the narrator describe the Dolphin Hotel in Chapter 1?
9. What causes the protagonist to encounter "Unrequited Love" in Chapter 14? What is his reaction to the film?
10. How does the narrator compare the old Dolphin Hotel to its replacement in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify the setting of the novel and the novel's protagonist. In what country and time period is the novel set?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism and conflict in Chapter 5. What conflict does the writer meet when he attempts to inquire about the old hotel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of abandonment in the novel. How does this theme apply to both the narrator and to Yuki?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)