|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator go to find the news article about the selling of the hotel in Chapter 7?
(a) A used bookstore.
(b) The newspaper headquarters.
(c) A local historian.
(d) The library.
2. The protagonist's job consisted mostly of what type of work in the beginning, as described in Chapter 3?
(a) Construction work.
(b) PR work.
(d) Computer work.
3. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must take a trip for how long in Chapter 3?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) 9 days.
4. In Chapter 15, the writer is asked to accompany a young girl on a flight because the girl's mother had left her there to take an assignment where?
5. What is the name of the receptionist at the hotel whom the narrator befriends?
(c) Hiraku Makimura.
(d) Miss Yumiyoshi.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the receptionist wake up the writer in Chapter 12?
2. For how long did the protagonist remain reclusive following his divorce and depression, as described in Chapter 2?
3. The young girl tells the writer that she and her mother have a place to stay where in Chapter 16?
4. What kind of car does the protagonist drive?
5. What is the young girl doing whom the narrator spots in the hotel bar in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator compare the old Dolphin Hotel to its replacement in Chapter 6?
2. How does the protagonist describe the interior of the hotel in Chapter 5?
3. How does the hotel receptionist describe her experience on the sixteenth floor in Chapter 7?
4. How does the protagonist describe his entrance into his profession in Chapter 3?
5. Where does the protagonist arrive in Chapter 16? Where does he decide to stay?
6. Why does the hotel receptionist speak under false pretenses in Chapter 7?
7. How does the narrator pass his day in Chapter 7? What are his emotions like?
8. How does the protagonist describe Ryoichi Gotanda in Chapter 8?
9. When did the protagonist re-enter society after his depression, as described in Chapter 2?
10. On what assignment does the protagonist go in Chapter 2? How does he describe his job?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)