|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the young girl doing whom the narrator spots in the hotel bar in Chapter 6?
(a) Reading the paper.
(b) Listening to a Walkman.
(c) Eating lunch.
2. How does the receptionist describe the air as smelling just before she had a strange experience in the hotel in Chapter 7?
(a) Like sulphur.
(b) Like beer.
(c) Like garbage.
3. The Sheep Man's world is a place in the shadows where people go when they need to find out what?
(a) The local gossip.
(b) How things are connected.
(c) Why they are sick.
(d) The meaning of life.
4. The receptionist at the hotel had a strange experience on what floor, as related in Chapter 7?
5. Who does the bartender say the girl at the bar is waiting for in Chapter 6?
(a) Her friend.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Sheep Man tells the writer that his people were chased where long ago in Chapter 11?
2. What causes the writer to leave the Sheep Man's room in Chapter 11?
3. What does the writer sit on in the strange room in Chapter 11?
4. When the receptionist comes to talk to the writer in Chapter 7, he cannot get what individual out of his mind?
5. The assignment the protagonist goes on in Chapter 2 involves writing for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the police ask the protagonist at the station in Chapter 21? What is his response?
2. What thoughts consume the protagonist in Chapter 13? Why?
3. How does the narrator describe the Dolphin Hotel in Chapter 1?
4. How is the protagonist of the novel introduced in Chapter 1? What is he obsessed with in the beginning of the narrative?
5. Who has died in Chapter 34? What conversation takes place between the protagonist and Yuki regarding the death?
6. Where does the protagonist go in Chapter 43? Who does he go to see?
7. When did the protagonist re-enter society after his depression, as described in Chapter 2?
8. Who has died in Chapter 40? What is the protagonist's reaction?
9. What stranger does the writer feel a strange connection with in Chapter 6?
10. How does the protagonist describe the interior of the hotel in Chapter 5?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)