|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, the writer develops an elaborate fantasy about an actress playing what historical figure?
(a) Queen Elizabeth.
(b) Marilyn Monroe.
(c) Queen Mary.
2. When the receptionist comes to talk to the writer in Chapter 7, he cannot get what individual out of his mind?
(a) The old owner of the hotel.
(b) His business partner.
(c) His niece.
(d) His mother.
3. What is the profession of Yuki's mother in the novel?
4. The narrator of the novel describes the Dolphin Hotel as having been built where in Chapter 1?
(a) The wrong place.
(b) On the water.
(c) The ideal place.
(d) The cheapest piece of real estate.
5. The Sheep Man warns that the writer could get stuck in what in Chapter 11?
(a) A wormhole.
(b) The in-between.
(c) Suspended animation.
(d) The netherworld.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the writer sit on in the strange room in Chapter 11?
2. What literary style does the narrator describe as rhetoric for rhetoric's sake in Chapter 17?
3. What is the profession of the protagonist in the novel?
4. After dinner Yuki insists that the writer take a drive so that they can do what in Chapter 19?
5. How long has the film been playing when the writer decides to watch it in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the protagonist feel when he returns to his hotel room in Chapter 12? When does he sleep and awaken?
2. What events take place when the protagonist awakens in Chapter 14?
3. How does the narrator compare the old Dolphin Hotel to its replacement in Chapter 6?
4. On what assignment does the protagonist go in Chapter 2? How does he describe his job?
5. Where does the protagonist arrive in Chapter 16? Where does he decide to stay?
6. Where does the protagonist decide to go after his assignment ends in Chapter 4? What does he find upon arrival?
7. Where does the protagonist tell his business associates he must go in Chapter 3? Why?
8. How does the protagonist describe Ryoichi Gotanda in Chapter 8?
9. How does the protagonist describe the interior of the hotel in Chapter 5?
10. What led to a previous depression of the protagonist's, as described in Chapter 2?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)