|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long does the narrator say he stood staring agape at the building in Chapter 4?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 23 minutes.
(c) 5 hours.
(d) 20 seconds.
2. Where does the writer have breakfast in Chapter 14?
(c) Dunkin' Donuts.
3. In Chapter 8, the writer calls his former business partner where?
4. The character named Kiki was what before becoming an actress?
(a) A call girl.
(b) A hairdresser.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A secretary.
5. What is the only item of furniture in the Sheep Man's room?
(a) A writing desk.
(b) A couch.
(c) A round table.
(d) A bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country is the novel set?
2. After dinner Yuki insists that the writer take a drive so that they can do what in Chapter 19?
3. What is the name of Yuki's father in the novel?
4. What is the name of the woman who lived with the writer at the Dolphin Hotel?
5. In Chapter 9, the writer develops an elaborate fantasy about what actress?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the protagonist to encounter "Unrequited Love" in Chapter 14? What is his reaction to the film?
2. What do the police ask the protagonist at the station in Chapter 21? What is his response?
3. How does the relationship between the protagonist and Dick progress in Chapter 30?
4. What is the protagonist's encounter with the hotel receptionist like in Chapter 43?
5. How is the protagonist of the novel introduced in Chapter 1? What is he obsessed with in the beginning of the narrative?
6. What new character is introduced in Chapter 29? Where are they?
7. What fantasy consumes the protagonist in Chapter 9?
8. Describe the continued dialogue between the police and the protagonist in Chapter 21. How does the narrator feel about his treatment?
9. What stranger does the writer feel a strange connection with in Chapter 6?
10. Where does Yuki suggest she and the protagonist go on a trip in Chapter 27? Why?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)