|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The protagonist makes an analogy of the Dolphin Hotel to what in Chapter 1?
(a) A match.
(b) A castle.
(c) A button.
(d) A dungeon.
2. What literary style does the narrator describe as rhetoric for rhetoric's sake in Chapter 17?
(b) Western modernist.
(d) French nouvelle vague.
3. The writer and photographer take a day after the assignment to do what in Chapter 4?
(a) Go fishing.
(b) Go kayaking.
(c) Visit a casino.
(d) Go cross-country skiing.
4. In Chapter 9, the narrator has an eerie experience on what floor of the hotel?
5. In Chapter 9, the writer develops an elaborate fantasy about what actress?
(a) Meg Ryan.
(b) Jodie Foster.
(c) Susan Serandon.
(d) Julia Roberts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season was it when the writer returned to society after his reclusive bout described in Chapter 2?
2. What is the profession of Yuki's father in the novel?
3. The Sheep Man tells the writer that his people were chased where long ago in Chapter 11?
4. How old is the protagonist of the novel?
5. Who is the actress the writer sees being seduced in the film in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events take place when the protagonist awakens in Chapter 14?
2. What does the protagonist discover at the library in Chapter 7?
3. What fantasy consumes the protagonist in Chapter 9?
4. Where does the author arrive in Chapter 4? What does he do after arriving?
5. When did the protagonist re-enter society after his depression, as described in Chapter 2?
6. What does the protagonist ask of his former business partner in Chapter 8?
7. How does the narrator pass his day in Chapter 7? What are his emotions like?
8. How does Yuki describe her relationship with her parents in Chapter 16?
9. Where does the protagonist tell his business associates he must go in Chapter 3? Why?
10. What stranger does the writer feel a strange connection with in Chapter 6?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)