Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the receptionist describe the air as smelling just before she had a strange experience in the hotel in Chapter 7?
(b) Like garbage.
(c) Like sulphur.
(d) Like beer.
2. In Chapter 9, the writer is restless and wishes that the receptionist did not have what that night?
(a) A date.
(b) A martial arts lesson.
(c) A college class.
(d) Swim club.
3. Whom does the writer promise to have dinner with when he returns in Chapter 15?
(a) The Sheep Man.
(b) The receptionist.
(d) The hotel manager.
4. Who told the writer that not knowing is what hurts other people, as revealed in Chapter 13?
(a) His ex-wife.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His grandmother.
5. For how long did the protagonist remain reclusive following his divorce and depression, as described in Chapter 2?
(a) 5 weeks.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 12 days.
(d) 1 year.
Short Answer Questions
1. The young girl tells the writer that she and her mother have a place to stay where in Chapter 16?
2. What is significant about the manner in which the Sheep Man speaks in the novel?
3. What season was it when the writer returned to society after his reclusive bout described in Chapter 2?
4. Ryoichi Gotanda was a former what to the narrator?
5. Where does the narrator go to find the news article about the selling of the hotel in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the protagonist ask of his former business partner in Chapter 8?
2. What does the protagonist find when he visits Yuki in Chapter 37?
3. How does the protagonist feel when he returns to his hotel room in Chapter 12? When does he sleep and awaken?
4. What fantasy consumes the protagonist in Chapter 9?
5. What events take place when the protagonist awakens in Chapter 14?
6. What is symbolized in the narrator's dream at the end of the novel?
7. How does the hotel receptionist describe her experience on the sixteenth floor in Chapter 7?
8. Where does the author arrive in Chapter 4? What does he do after arriving?
9. What led to a previous depression of the protagonist's, as described in Chapter 2?
10. What does Yuki reveal about the hotel receptionist in Chapter 27? What does the writer learn when he contacts her?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)