|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the receptionist describe the air as smelling just before she had a strange experience in the hotel in Chapter 7?
(a) Like beer.
(b) Like garbage.
(c) Like sulphur.
2. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must go where in Chapter 3?
3. What is the name of Yuki's father in the novel?
(a) Hiraku Makimura.
(c) Ryoichi Gotanda.
4. In the stead where the Dolphin Hotel once stood is a building that is designed in what style in Chapter 4?
(a) Victorian style.
(b) Colonial style.
(c) Bauhaus-Art Deco style.
(d) East Indian style.
5. Who told the writer that not knowing is what hurts other people, as revealed in Chapter 13?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His ex-wife.
(d) His grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the manager's reaction when the receptionist told him about her strange experience, as told in Chapter 7?
2. In Chapter 9, the writer develops an elaborate fantasy about an actress playing what historical figure?
3. Where do the writer and the girl arrive in Chapter 16?
4. In what country is the novel set?
5. When does the receptionist wake up the writer in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the protagonist describe the interior of the hotel in Chapter 5?
2. How does the protagonist describe Ryoichi Gotanda in Chapter 8?
3. What jealousies consume the protagonist in Chapter 14? Why?
4. How does the protagonist feel when he returns to his hotel room in Chapter 12? When does he sleep and awaken?
5. What movie release does the protagonist read about in Chapter 8? What are his feelings about the film?
6. What favor does the hotel receptionist ask of the protagonist in Chapter 15? What is his response?
7. What fantasy consumes the protagonist in Chapter 9?
8. What events take place when the protagonist awakens in Chapter 14?
9. How does the narrator compare the old Dolphin Hotel to its replacement in Chapter 6?
10. What stranger does the writer feel a strange connection with in Chapter 6?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)