|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the young girl doing the following morning when the narrator sees her again in Chapter 6?
(a) Leaving the hotel.
(b) Sitting in the lobby.
(c) Swimming in the pool.
(d) Having breakfast with her mother.
2. How old is the protagonist of the novel?
3. Who answers the door when the writers knocks in Chapter 10?
(a) The Tree Dude.
(b) The Dog Guy.
(c) The Ape Brother.
(d) The Sheep Man.
4. The Sheep Man warns that the writer could get stuck in what in Chapter 11?
(a) A wormhole.
(b) The netherworld.
(c) Suspended animation.
(d) The in-between.
5. Where do the writer and photographer arrive in the beginning of Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary style does the narrator describe as rhetoric for rhetoric's sake in Chapter 17?
2. When does the receptionist wake up the writer in Chapter 12?
3. Whom does Yuki mention which chills the writer in Chapter 19?
4. Where do the writer and the girl arrive in Chapter 16?
5. The narrator of the novel describes the Dolphin Hotel as having been built where in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the protagonist to encounter "Unrequited Love" in Chapter 14? What is his reaction to the film?
2. What does the protagonist discover at the library in Chapter 7?
3. Where does the protagonist tell his business associates he must go in Chapter 3? Why?
4. How does Yuki describe her relationship with her parents in Chapter 16?
5. How does the narrator describe the Dolphin Hotel in Chapter 1?
6. How does the protagonist describe his entrance into his profession in Chapter 3?
7. How does the hotel receptionist describe her experience on the sixteenth floor in Chapter 7?
8. How does the narrator compare the old Dolphin Hotel to its replacement in Chapter 6?
9. Where does the protagonist decide to go after his assignment ends in Chapter 4? What does he find upon arrival?
10. What thoughts consume the protagonist in Chapter 13? Why?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)