|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In describing Ryoichi Gotanda, the writer comments that he never understood how someone could be so what?
2. The narrator refers to his job as shoveling what in Chapter 2?
(a) Cultural snow.
(b) Consumer dribble.
(c) Brain fluff.
(d) Mental dung.
3. What has the Dolphin Hotel been renamed in Chapter 4?
(a) The Ritz.
(b) L'Hôtel Dauphin.
(c) The Hilton.
(d) Hotel Japan.
4. Where does the narrator go to find the news article about the selling of the hotel in Chapter 7?
(a) The newspaper headquarters.
(b) The library.
(c) A local historian.
(d) A used bookstore.
5. Ryoichi Gotanda was a former what to the narrator?
(b) Lab partner.
(d) Political rival.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Sheep Man tells the writer that his people were chased where long ago in Chapter 11?
2. The interior of the hotel in Chapter 5 is described as what by the narrator?
3. The character named Kiki was what before becoming an actress?
4. What does the writer sit on in the strange room in Chapter 11?
5. The narrator considers what to be a stupid name for a band in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to a previous depression of the protagonist's, as described in Chapter 2?
2. What events take place when the protagonist awakens in Chapter 14?
3. Where does the author arrive in Chapter 4? What does he do after arriving?
4. What movie release does the protagonist read about in Chapter 8? What are his feelings about the film?
5. How does Yuki describe her relationship with her parents in Chapter 16?
6. How does the protagonist feel when he returns to his hotel room in Chapter 12? When does he sleep and awaken?
7. How is the protagonist of the novel introduced in Chapter 1? What is he obsessed with in the beginning of the narrative?
8. What stranger does the writer feel a strange connection with in Chapter 6?
9. When did the protagonist re-enter society after his depression, as described in Chapter 2?
10. How does the narrator pass his day in Chapter 7? What are his emotions like?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)