|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the receptionist describe the air as smelling just before she had a strange experience in the hotel in Chapter 7?
(a) Like sulphur.
(b) Like beer.
(c) Like garbage.
2. Where do the writer and photographer arrive in the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. The assignment the protagonist goes on in Chapter 2 involves writing for what?
(a) A daily newspaper.
(b) A scientific journal.
(c) A kid's magazine.
(d) A women's magazine.
4. Where does the narrator go to find the news article about the selling of the hotel in Chapter 7?
(a) The newspaper headquarters.
(b) A used bookstore.
(c) A local historian.
(d) The library.
5. For how long does the narrator say he stood staring agape at the building in Chapter 4?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 5 hours.
(c) 23 minutes.
(d) 20 seconds.
Short Answer Questions
1. In describing Ryoichi Gotanda, the writer comments that he never understood how someone could be so what?
2. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must go where in Chapter 3?
3. What kind of car does the protagonist drive?
4. The narrator of the novel describes the Dolphin Hotel as having been built where in Chapter 1?
5. The receptionist at the hotel talks to the writer under the guise of discussing what in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the hotel receptionist describe her experience on the sixteenth floor in Chapter 7?
2. How does the narrator pass his day in Chapter 7? What are his emotions like?
3. What causes the protagonist to encounter "Unrequited Love" in Chapter 14? What is his reaction to the film?
4. Where does the author arrive in Chapter 4? What does he do after arriving?
5. On what assignment does the protagonist go in Chapter 2? How does he describe his job?
6. What thoughts consume the protagonist in Chapter 13? Why?
7. What stranger does the writer feel a strange connection with in Chapter 6?
8. Where does the protagonist decide to go after his assignment ends in Chapter 4? What does he find upon arrival?
9. What events take place when the protagonist awakens in Chapter 14?
10. How does the protagonist describe his entrance into his profession in Chapter 3?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)