|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the writer and photographer arrive in the beginning of Chapter 4?
2. The writer and photographer take a day after the assignment to do what in Chapter 4?
(a) Go fishing.
(b) Visit a casino.
(c) Go kayaking.
(d) Go cross-country skiing.
3. Whom does the writer see seducing a woman in the film in Chapter 14?
(a) The Sheep Man.
(b) Hiraku Makimura.
(d) Ryoichi Gotanda.
4. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must take a trip for how long in Chapter 3?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 1 month.
(c) 9 days.
(d) 3 weeks.
5. What is the name of the young girl whom the writer accompanies on her flight in Chapter 16?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is significant about the manner in which the Sheep Man speaks in the novel?
2. The protagonist makes an analogy of the Dolphin Hotel to what in Chapter 1?
3. In Chapter 15, the writer is asked to accompany a young girl on a flight because the girl's mother had left her there to take an assignment where?
4. What is the name of the woman who lived with the writer at the Dolphin Hotel?
5. Where do the writer and the girl arrive in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the protagonist's emotional state in Chapter 36? Why does he go to visit Yuki?
2. How does the narrator pass his day in Chapter 7? What are his emotions like?
3. Who awakens the protagonist in the middle of the night in Chapter 44? What takes place?
4. What is Yuki's reaction when she is told of the death in Chapter 41? What news does she relate from her life?
5. On what assignment does the protagonist go in Chapter 2? How does he describe his job?
6. Why does the protagonist agree to go on a trip with Yuki in Chapter 27? Whom does he invite to come along?
7. What does Yuki reveal about the hotel receptionist in Chapter 27? What does the writer learn when he contacts her?
8. What information does Bookish reveal about Mei and the investigation in Chapter 35?
9. What does the protagonist ask of his former business partner in Chapter 8?
10. What stranger does the writer feel a strange connection with in Chapter 6?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)