|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the girl that the narrator sees in the bar in Chapter 6?
2. What pet did the protagonist have which died in his flashback in Chapter 2?
(a) A dog.
(b) A snake.
(c) An iguana.
(d) A cat.
3. In Chapter 9, the narrator has an eerie experience on what floor of the hotel?
4. The narrator of the novel describes the Dolphin Hotel as having been built where in Chapter 1?
(a) The ideal place.
(b) The cheapest piece of real estate.
(c) The wrong place.
(d) On the water.
5. What word refers to people or works that are experimental or innovative, particularly with respect to art, culture, and politics?
Short Answer Questions
1. The young girl tells the writer that she and her mother have a place to stay where in Chapter 16?
2. In Chapter 9, the writer is restless and wishes that the receptionist did not have what that night?
3. What is the profession of Yuki's mother in the novel?
4. How many times has the protagonist been divorced in the novel?
5. At what time does the writer go to dinner in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the hotel receptionist speak under false pretenses in Chapter 7?
2. How does the narrator pass his day in Chapter 7? What are his emotions like?
3. How does the protagonist describe his entrance into his profession in Chapter 3?
4. What does the protagonist discover at the library in Chapter 7?
5. What favor does the hotel receptionist ask of the protagonist in Chapter 15? What is his response?
6. When did the protagonist re-enter society after his depression, as described in Chapter 2?
7. How does the protagonist feel when he returns to his hotel room in Chapter 12? When does he sleep and awaken?
8. How does Yuki describe her relationship with her parents in Chapter 16?
9. How is the protagonist of the novel introduced in Chapter 1? What is he obsessed with in the beginning of the narrative?
10. What causes the protagonist to encounter "Unrequited Love" in Chapter 14? What is his reaction to the film?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)