|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What season was it when the writer returned to society after his reclusive bout described in Chapter 2?
2. Who does the bartender say the girl at the bar is waiting for in Chapter 6?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her friend.
(d) Her mother.
3. The interior of the hotel in Chapter 5 is described as what by the narrator?
4. Who answers the door when the writers knocks in Chapter 10?
(a) The Ape Brother.
(b) The Dog Guy.
(c) The Sheep Man.
(d) The Tree Dude.
5. Where does the protagonist go on assignment in Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator refers to his job as shoveling what in Chapter 2?
2. In describing Ryoichi Gotanda, the writer comments that he never understood how someone could be so what?
3. What has the Dolphin Hotel been renamed in Chapter 4?
4. Who told the writer that not knowing is what hurts other people, as revealed in Chapter 13?
5. What word refers to people or works that are experimental or innovative, particularly with respect to art, culture, and politics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stranger does the writer feel a strange connection with in Chapter 6?
2. What events take place when the protagonist awakens in Chapter 14?
3. What fantasy consumes the protagonist in Chapter 9?
4. Where does the protagonist tell his business associates he must go in Chapter 3? Why?
5. What led to a previous depression of the protagonist's, as described in Chapter 2?
6. When did the protagonist re-enter society after his depression, as described in Chapter 2?
7. Where does the protagonist decide to go after his assignment ends in Chapter 4? What does he find upon arrival?
8. Where does the protagonist arrive in Chapter 16? Where does he decide to stay?
9. How is the protagonist of the novel introduced in Chapter 1? What is he obsessed with in the beginning of the narrative?
10. How does the narrator pass his day in Chapter 7? What are his emotions like?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)