|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, the writer develops an elaborate fantasy about an actress playing what historical figure?
(a) Queen Mary.
(b) Marilyn Monroe.
(c) Queen Elizabeth.
2. What literary style does the narrator describe as rhetoric for rhetoric's sake in Chapter 17?
(b) French nouvelle vague.
(c) Western modernist.
3. What pet did the protagonist have which died in his flashback in Chapter 2?
(a) A snake.
(b) An iguana.
(c) A dog.
(d) A cat.
4. The Sheep Man's world is a place in the shadows where people go when they need to find out what?
(a) Why they are sick.
(b) The meaning of life.
(c) How things are connected.
(d) The local gossip.
5. The Sheep Man says that the only thing the writer can do is what in Chapter 11?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the writer have breakfast in Chapter 14?
2. In describing Ryoichi Gotanda, the writer comments that he never understood how someone could be so what?
3. What is the name of Ryoichi Gotanda's latest movie in the novel?
4. What is the name of the young girl whom the writer accompanies on her flight in Chapter 16?
5. The protagonist's job consisted mostly of what type of work in the beginning, as described in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yuki describe her relationship with her parents in Chapter 16?
2. How does the narrator describe the Dolphin Hotel in Chapter 1?
3. What fantasy consumes the protagonist in Chapter 9?
4. How does the protagonist describe the interior of the hotel in Chapter 5?
5. What jealousies consume the protagonist in Chapter 14? Why?
6. What thoughts consume the protagonist in Chapter 13? Why?
7. How is the protagonist of the novel introduced in Chapter 1? What is he obsessed with in the beginning of the narrative?
8. What movie release does the protagonist read about in Chapter 8? What are his feelings about the film?
9. How does the protagonist describe Ryoichi Gotanda in Chapter 8?
10. What led to a previous depression of the protagonist's, as described in Chapter 2?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)