|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the girl that the narrator sees in the bar in Chapter 6?
2. Ryoichi Gotanda was a former what to the narrator?
(a) Political rival.
(d) Lab partner.
3. The interior of the hotel in Chapter 5 is described as what by the narrator?
4. Where do the writer and photographer arrive in the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. When the protagonist thinks of the Dolphin Hotel in Chapter 1, he recalls it as being what?
(a) A skyscraper.
(c) A dive.
6. The receptionist at the hotel had a strange experience on what floor, as related in Chapter 7?
7. Where does the writer have breakfast in Chapter 14?
(a) Dunkin' Donuts.
8. In describing Ryoichi Gotanda, the writer comments that he never understood how someone could be so what?
9. In Chapter 9, the writer is restless and wishes that the receptionist did not have what that night?
(a) A college class.
(b) Swim club.
(c) A martial arts lesson.
(d) A date.
10. Whom does the writer see seducing a woman in the film in Chapter 14?
(a) Ryoichi Gotanda.
(b) Hiraku Makimura.
(d) The Sheep Man.
11. What kind of car does the protagonist drive?
12. What literary style does the narrator describe as rhetoric for rhetoric's sake in Chapter 17?
(a) Western modernist.
(b) French nouvelle vague.
13. In Chapter 9, the narrator has an eerie experience on what floor of the hotel?
14. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must go where in Chapter 3?
15. What is the profession of Yuki's father in the novel?
(c) Race car driver.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long did the protagonist remain reclusive following his divorce and depression, as described in Chapter 2?
2. Where does the protagonist go on assignment in Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 9, the writer develops an elaborate fantasy about what actress?
4. What is the name of the woman who lived with the writer at the Dolphin Hotel?
5. After dinner Yuki insists that the writer take a drive so that they can do what in Chapter 19?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)