|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In describing Ryoichi Gotanda, the writer comments that he never understood how someone could be so what?
2. In Chapter 9, the writer is restless and wishes that the receptionist did not have what that night?
(a) A date.
(b) Swim club.
(c) A college class.
(d) A martial arts lesson.
3. Ryoichi Gotanda was a former what to the narrator?
(c) Lab partner.
(d) Political rival.
4. What is the young girl doing the following morning when the narrator sees her again in Chapter 6?
(a) Sitting in the lobby.
(b) Having breakfast with her mother.
(c) Leaving the hotel.
(d) Swimming in the pool.
5. In Chapter 9, the writer develops an elaborate fantasy about what actress?
(a) Susan Serandon.
(b) Jodie Foster.
(c) Julia Roberts.
(d) Meg Ryan.
6. Who is the actress the writer sees being seduced in the film in Chapter 14?
(a) Miss Yumiyoshi.
7. What has the Dolphin Hotel been renamed in Chapter 4?
(a) Hotel Japan.
(b) The Ritz.
(c) The Hilton.
(d) L'Hôtel Dauphin.
8. What is the only item of furniture in the Sheep Man's room?
(a) A bed.
(b) A couch.
(c) A writing desk.
(d) A round table.
9. At what time does the writer go to dinner in Chapter 13?
(a) 4 p.m.
(b) 6 p.m.
(c) 11 p.m.
(d) 9 p.m.
10. How old is the girl that the narrator sees in the bar in Chapter 6?
11. In the stead where the Dolphin Hotel once stood is a building that is how many stories tall in Chapter 4?
12. The protagonist makes an analogy of the Dolphin Hotel to what in Chapter 1?
(a) A castle.
(b) A button.
(c) A match.
(d) A dungeon.
13. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must go where in Chapter 3?
14. In Chapter 8, the writer calls his former business partner where?
15. What literary style does the narrator describe as rhetoric for rhetoric's sake in Chapter 17?
(c) Western modernist.
(d) French nouvelle vague.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the receptionist wake up the writer in Chapter 12?
2. How long has the film been playing when the writer decides to watch it in Chapter 14?
3. Where does the writer have breakfast in Chapter 14?
4. When the receptionist comes to talk to the writer in Chapter 7, he cannot get what individual out of his mind?
5. What kind of car does the protagonist drive?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)