|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The protagonist makes an analogy of the Dolphin Hotel to what in Chapter 1?
(a) A dungeon.
(b) A match.
(c) A button.
(d) A castle.
2. In the stead where the Dolphin Hotel once stood is a building that is how many stories tall in Chapter 4?
3. In Chapter 15, the writer is asked to accompany a young girl on a flight because the girl's mother had left her there to take an assignment where?
4. In Chapter 9, the writer is restless and wishes that the receptionist did not have what that night?
(a) A date.
(b) Swim club.
(c) A martial arts lesson.
(d) A college class.
5. The narrator considers what to be a stupid name for a band in Chapter 6?
(b) The Who.
(c) Pink Floyd.
(d) Led Zeppelin.
6. Who told the writer that not knowing is what hurts other people, as revealed in Chapter 13?
(a) His mother.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His ex-wife.
(d) His father.
7. In the stead where the Dolphin Hotel once stood is a building that is designed in what style in Chapter 4?
(a) Victorian style.
(b) East Indian style.
(c) Bauhaus-Art Deco style.
(d) Colonial style.
8. What is the name of the young girl whom the writer accompanies on her flight in Chapter 16?
9. When the protagonist thinks of the Dolphin Hotel in Chapter 1, he recalls it as being what?
(b) A skyscraper.
(c) A dive.
10. The Sheep Man's world is a place in the shadows where people go when they need to find out what?
(a) How things are connected.
(b) Why they are sick.
(c) The meaning of life.
(d) The local gossip.
11. What is the young girl doing whom the narrator spots in the hotel bar in Chapter 6?
(b) Reading the paper.
(c) Listening to a Walkman.
(d) Eating lunch.
12. Where does the narrator go to find the news article about the selling of the hotel in Chapter 7?
(a) The library.
(b) The newspaper headquarters.
(c) A used bookstore.
(d) A local historian.
13. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must go where in Chapter 3?
14. For how long does the narrator say he stood staring agape at the building in Chapter 4?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 20 seconds.
(c) 23 minutes.
(d) 5 hours.
15. What kind of car does the protagonist drive?
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the writer to leave the Sheep Man's room in Chapter 11?
2. The Sheep Man says that the only thing the writer can do is what in Chapter 11?
3. What is the only item of furniture in the Sheep Man's room?
4. In what country is the novel set?
5. The narrator of the novel describes the Dolphin Hotel as having been built where in Chapter 1?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)