|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator refers to his job as shoveling what in Chapter 2?
(a) Cultural snow.
(b) Brain fluff.
(c) Consumer dribble.
(d) Mental dung.
2. The narrator of the novel describes the Dolphin Hotel as having been built where in Chapter 1?
(a) The ideal place.
(b) On the water.
(c) The cheapest piece of real estate.
(d) The wrong place.
3. In Chapter 9, the narrator has an eerie experience on what floor of the hotel?
4. In Chapter 15, the writer is asked to accompany a young girl on a flight because the girl's mother had left her there to take an assignment where?
5. The writer and photographer take a day after the assignment to do what in Chapter 4?
(a) Go kayaking.
(b) Visit a casino.
(c) Go fishing.
(d) Go cross-country skiing.
6. How long has the film been playing when the writer decides to watch it in Chapter 14?
(a) 45 minutes.
(b) 7 minutes.
(c) 30 minutes.
(d) 12 minutes.
7. What is the name of Yuki's mother in the novel?
(a) Miss Yumiyoshi.
8. What is the narrative voice of the novel?
(a) Third person.
(b) First person.
(c) Fourth person.
(d) Second person.
9. In describing Ryoichi Gotanda, the writer comments that he never understood how someone could be so what?
10. The protagonist's job consisted mostly of what type of work in the beginning, as described in Chapter 3?
(b) Computer work.
(c) Construction work.
(d) PR work.
11. At what time does the writer go to dinner in Chapter 13?
(a) 6 p.m.
(b) 11 p.m.
(c) 9 p.m.
(d) 4 p.m.
12. Where does the writer step inside to use the restroom during his walk in Chapter 14?
(a) A police station.
(b) A library.
(c) A movie theater.
(d) A restaurant.
13. The Sheep Man warns that the writer could get stuck in what in Chapter 11?
(a) The netherworld.
(b) The in-between.
(c) A wormhole.
(d) Suspended animation.
14. Where does the narrator go to find the news article about the selling of the hotel in Chapter 7?
(a) A used bookstore.
(b) A local historian.
(c) The library.
(d) The newspaper headquarters.
15. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must go where in Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Sheep Man says that the only thing the writer can do is what in Chapter 11?
2. Where do the writer and the girl arrive in Chapter 16?
3. When the protagonist thinks of the Dolphin Hotel in Chapter 1, he recalls it as being what?
4. Whom does Yuki mention which chills the writer in Chapter 19?
5. Whom does the writer see seducing a woman in the film in Chapter 14?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)