|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who told the writer that not knowing is what hurts other people, as revealed in Chapter 13?
(a) His ex-wife.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His grandmother.
2. The character named Kiki was what before becoming an actress?
(a) A call girl.
(b) A secretary.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A hairdresser.
3. What is the name of Yuki's father in the novel?
(a) Ryoichi Gotanda.
(d) Hiraku Makimura.
4. In Chapter 9, the writer develops an elaborate fantasy about an actress playing what historical figure?
(b) Marilyn Monroe.
(c) Queen Elizabeth.
(d) Queen Mary.
5. At what time does the writer go to dinner in Chapter 13?
(a) 9 p.m.
(b) 4 p.m.
(c) 11 p.m.
(d) 6 p.m.
6. Where do the writer and the girl arrive in Chapter 16?
7. Whom does the writer promise to have dinner with when he returns in Chapter 15?
(a) The Sheep Man.
(c) The receptionist.
(d) The hotel manager.
8. In what country is the novel set?
(b) South Korea.
9. Who does the bartender say the girl at the bar is waiting for in Chapter 6?
(a) Her friend.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her brother.
10. The narrator of the novel describes the Dolphin Hotel as having been built where in Chapter 1?
(a) The ideal place.
(b) The cheapest piece of real estate.
(c) The wrong place.
(d) On the water.
11. What word refers to people or works that are experimental or innovative, particularly with respect to art, culture, and politics?
12. What is the name of the young girl whom the writer accompanies on her flight in Chapter 16?
13. Where does the writer step inside to use the restroom during his walk in Chapter 14?
(a) A library.
(b) A police station.
(c) A movie theater.
(d) A restaurant.
14. What has the Dolphin Hotel been renamed in Chapter 4?
(a) L'Hôtel Dauphin.
(b) Hotel Japan.
(c) The Ritz.
(d) The Hilton.
15. Where does the protagonist go on assignment in Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the writer and photographer arrive in the beginning of Chapter 4?
2. What is the young girl doing the following morning when the narrator sees her again in Chapter 6?
3. What is the profession of Yuki's mother in the novel?
4. What is the name of the woman who lived with the writer at the Dolphin Hotel?
5. What is the name of the receptionist at the hotel whom the narrator befriends?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)