|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has it been since the protagonist has seen Kiki in Chapter 4?
(a) 4.5 years.
(b) 10 weeks.
(c) 41 days.
(d) 18 months.
2. What causes the writer to leave the Sheep Man's room in Chapter 11?
(a) It gets very dark.
(b) The temperature drops.
(c) It gets very bright.
(d) The temperature rises.
3. What is the name of the young girl whom the writer accompanies on her flight in Chapter 16?
4. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must go where in Chapter 3?
5. Whom does the writer see seducing a woman in the film in Chapter 14?
(a) The Sheep Man.
(c) Ryoichi Gotanda.
(d) Hiraku Makimura.
6. What was the manager's reaction when the receptionist told him about her strange experience, as told in Chapter 7?
(a) He sent the janitor to check it out.
(b) He told her not to tell anyone.
(c) He said she was crazy.
(d) He went to check it out.
7. Where do the writer and the girl arrive in Chapter 16?
8. How old is the girl that the narrator sees in the bar in Chapter 6?
9. How long has the film been playing when the writer decides to watch it in Chapter 14?
(a) 45 minutes.
(b) 7 minutes.
(c) 12 minutes.
(d) 30 minutes.
10. In what country is the novel set?
(a) South Korea.
11. What season was it when the writer returned to society after his reclusive bout described in Chapter 2?
12. In describing Ryoichi Gotanda, the writer comments that he never understood how someone could be so what?
13. What is significant about the manner in which the Sheep Man speaks in the novel?
(a) His words all run together.
(b) He never speaks the letter "a."
(c) He starts every sentence with "I think."
(d) He writes everything down instead of using his voice.
14. When does the receptionist wake up the writer in Chapter 12?
(a) 11 a.m.
(b) 3 p.m.
(c) 5 a.m.
(d) 9 a.m.
15. The Sheep Man's world is a place in the shadows where people go when they need to find out what?
(a) Why they are sick.
(b) How things are connected.
(c) The local gossip.
(d) The meaning of life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the protagonist go on assignment in Chapter 2?
2. What is the narrative voice of the novel?
3. What has the Dolphin Hotel been renamed in Chapter 4?
4. In Chapter 8, the writer calls his former business partner where?
5. What word refers to people or works that are experimental or innovative, particularly with respect to art, culture, and politics?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)