|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long did the protagonist remain reclusive following his divorce and depression, as described in Chapter 2?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 5 weeks.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 12 days.
2. Ryoichi Gotanda was a former what to the narrator?
(a) Political rival.
(b) Lab partner.
3. The protagonist makes an analogy of the Dolphin Hotel to what in Chapter 1?
(a) A dungeon.
(b) A button.
(c) A castle.
(d) A match.
4. After dinner Yuki insists that the writer take a drive so that they can do what in Chapter 19?
(a) Look for her mother.
(c) Look at the sunset.
(d) Listen to music.
5. What literary style does the narrator describe as rhetoric for rhetoric's sake in Chapter 17?
(a) French nouvelle vague.
(c) Western modernist.
6. What is the name of the woman who lived with the writer at the Dolphin Hotel?
7. In Chapter 12, the writer returns to the bedroom and is plagued by what?
8. The Sheep Man says that the only thing the writer can do is what in Chapter 11?
9. Whom does Yuki mention which chills the writer in Chapter 19?
(b) Miss Yumiyoshi.
(c) The Sheep Man.
(d) Ryoichi Gotanda.
10. In Chapter 9, the writer is restless and wishes that the receptionist did not have what that night?
(a) A date.
(b) Swim club.
(c) A martial arts lesson.
(d) A college class.
11. When the receptionist visits the writer in Chapter 12, he keeps mentioning what creature?
(a) A gray gorilla.
(b) A green fish.
(c) A red spider.
(d) A blue parrot.
12. What is the young girl doing the following morning when the narrator sees her again in Chapter 6?
(a) Having breakfast with her mother.
(b) Sitting in the lobby.
(c) Swimming in the pool.
(d) Leaving the hotel.
13. The narrator of the novel describes the Dolphin Hotel as having been built where in Chapter 1?
(a) The wrong place.
(b) On the water.
(c) The cheapest piece of real estate.
(d) The ideal place.
14. The interior of the hotel in Chapter 5 is described as what by the narrator?
15. In Chapter 9, the writer develops an elaborate fantasy about what actress?
(a) Meg Ryan.
(b) Jodie Foster.
(c) Julia Roberts.
(d) Susan Serandon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the writer sit on in the strange room in Chapter 11?
2. How old is the girl that the narrator sees in the bar in Chapter 6?
3. The narrator considers what to be a stupid name for a band in Chapter 6?
4. Where does the writer step inside to use the restroom during his walk in Chapter 14?
5. What pet did the protagonist have which died in his flashback in Chapter 2?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)