|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In describing Ryoichi Gotanda, the writer comments that he never understood how someone could be so what?
2. In the stead where the Dolphin Hotel once stood is a building that is how many stories tall in Chapter 4?
3. In Chapter 9, the writer develops an elaborate fantasy about what actress?
(a) Meg Ryan.
(b) Jodie Foster.
(c) Julia Roberts.
(d) Susan Serandon.
4. Who does the bartender say the girl at the bar is waiting for in Chapter 6?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her friend.
(d) Her father.
5. The protagonist's job consisted mostly of what type of work in the beginning, as described in Chapter 3?
(b) PR work.
(c) Computer work.
(d) Construction work.
6. Ryoichi Gotanda was a former what to the narrator?
(c) Lab partner.
(d) Political rival.
7. Where does the protagonist go on assignment in Chapter 2?
8. The character named Kiki was what before becoming an actress?
(a) A call girl.
(b) A hairdresser.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A secretary.
9. Where does the writer step inside to use the restroom during his walk in Chapter 14?
(a) A police station.
(b) A movie theater.
(c) A library.
(d) A restaurant.
10. How old is the protagonist of the novel?
11. In Chapter 15, the writer is asked to accompany a young girl on a flight because the girl's mother had left her there to take an assignment where?
12. What does the writer sit on in the strange room in Chapter 11?
(a) A pillow.
(b) A chair.
(d) A stool.
13. What is the name of the woman who lived with the writer at the Dolphin Hotel?
14. For how long does the narrator say he stood staring agape at the building in Chapter 4?
(a) 20 seconds.
(b) 23 minutes.
(c) 5 hours.
(d) 2 days.
15. What literary style does the narrator describe as rhetoric for rhetoric's sake in Chapter 17?
(a) Western modernist.
(d) French nouvelle vague.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Sheep Man says that the only thing the writer can do is what in Chapter 11?
2. The protagonist makes an analogy of the Dolphin Hotel to what in Chapter 1?
3. The writer and photographer take a day after the assignment to do what in Chapter 4?
4. In Chapter 9, the writer develops an elaborate fantasy about an actress playing what historical figure?
5. What is the profession of the protagonist in the novel?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)