|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the profession of the protagonist in the novel?
(a) Construction worker.
(b) Car salesman.
(c) Freelance writer.
2. Where does the writer have breakfast in Chapter 14?
(d) Dunkin' Donuts.
3. The protagonist makes an analogy of the Dolphin Hotel to what in Chapter 1?
(a) A castle.
(b) A dungeon.
(c) A match.
(d) A button.
4. What is the only item of furniture in the Sheep Man's room?
(a) A bed.
(b) A writing desk.
(c) A round table.
(d) A couch.
5. The Sheep Man's world is a place in the shadows where people go when they need to find out what?
(a) The local gossip.
(b) The meaning of life.
(c) Why they are sick.
(d) How things are connected.
6. What was the manager's reaction when the receptionist told him about her strange experience, as told in Chapter 7?
(a) He went to check it out.
(b) He told her not to tell anyone.
(c) He sent the janitor to check it out.
(d) He said she was crazy.
7. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must go where in Chapter 3?
8. The narrator of the novel describes the Dolphin Hotel as having been built where in Chapter 1?
(a) On the water.
(b) The wrong place.
(c) The ideal place.
(d) The cheapest piece of real estate.
9. Ryoichi Gotanda was a former what to the narrator?
(a) Political rival.
(b) Lab partner.
10. What is the name of Ryoichi Gotanda's latest movie in the novel?
(a) "Lost Love."
(b) "A Murder Forgotten."
(c) "Dance Dance Dance."
(d) "Unrequited Love."
11. What is the name of the receptionist at the hotel whom the narrator befriends?
(b) Miss Yumiyoshi.
(c) Hiraku Makimura.
12. What literary style does the narrator describe as rhetoric for rhetoric's sake in Chapter 17?
(a) Western modernist.
(c) French nouvelle vague.
13. What is the young girl doing the following morning when the narrator sees her again in Chapter 6?
(a) Sitting in the lobby.
(b) Swimming in the pool.
(c) Leaving the hotel.
(d) Having breakfast with her mother.
14. The writer and photographer take a day after the assignment to do what in Chapter 4?
(a) Go kayaking.
(b) Visit a casino.
(c) Go fishing.
(d) Go cross-country skiing.
15. What word refers to people or works that are experimental or innovative, particularly with respect to art, culture, and politics?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, the writer returns to the bedroom and is plagued by what?
2. In Chapter 15, the writer is asked to accompany a young girl on a flight because the girl's mother had left her there to take an assignment where?
3. The protagonist's job consisted mostly of what type of work in the beginning, as described in Chapter 3?
4. What kind of car does the protagonist drive?
5. The young girl tells the writer that she and her mother have a place to stay where in Chapter 16?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)