|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The assignment the protagonist goes on in Chapter 2 involves writing about what?
2. Where does the narrator go to find the news article about the selling of the hotel in Chapter 7?
(a) The library.
(b) A local historian.
(c) The newspaper headquarters.
(d) A used bookstore.
3. The writer and photographer take a day after the assignment to do what in Chapter 4?
(a) Go cross-country skiing.
(b) Visit a casino.
(c) Go fishing.
(d) Go kayaking.
4. Who is the actress the writer sees being seduced in the film in Chapter 14?
(a) Miss Yumiyoshi.
5. What literary style does the narrator describe as rhetoric for rhetoric's sake in Chapter 17?
(b) Western modernist.
(d) French nouvelle vague.
6. After the assignment is finished, the writer decides to go where in Chapter 4?
7. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must go where in Chapter 3?
8. What is the young girl doing the following morning when the narrator sees her again in Chapter 6?
(a) Sitting in the lobby.
(b) Having breakfast with her mother.
(c) Leaving the hotel.
(d) Swimming in the pool.
9. Where is the Dolphin Hotel located?
10. Where does the writer have breakfast in Chapter 14?
(d) Dunkin' Donuts.
11. In Chapter 9, the writer is restless and wishes that the receptionist did not have what that night?
(a) A martial arts lesson.
(b) Swim club.
(c) A college class.
(d) A date.
12. Who told the writer that not knowing is what hurts other people, as revealed in Chapter 13?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His father.
(c) His ex-wife.
(d) His mother.
13. Whom does the writer promise to have dinner with when he returns in Chapter 15?
(a) The Sheep Man.
(c) The hotel manager.
(d) The receptionist.
14. Ryoichi Gotanda was a former what to the narrator?
(a) Lab partner.
(c) Political rival.
15. What word refers to people or works that are experimental or innovative, particularly with respect to art, culture, and politics?
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the writer to leave the Sheep Man's room in Chapter 11?
2. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must take a trip for how long in Chapter 3?
3. In Chapter 9, the writer develops an elaborate fantasy about an actress playing what historical figure?
4. For how long does the narrator say he stood staring agape at the building in Chapter 4?
5. The narrator considers what to be a stupid name for a band in Chapter 6?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)