|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the protagonist of the novel?
2. What was the manager's reaction when the receptionist told him about her strange experience, as told in Chapter 7?
(a) He sent the janitor to check it out.
(b) He said she was crazy.
(c) He told her not to tell anyone.
(d) He went to check it out.
3. After dinner Yuki insists that the writer take a drive so that they can do what in Chapter 19?
(a) Look at the sunset.
(c) Listen to music.
(d) Look for her mother.
4. What is the narrative voice of the novel?
(a) Fourth person.
(b) First person.
(c) Third person.
(d) Second person.
5. Who is the actress the writer sees being seduced in the film in Chapter 14?
(b) Miss Yumiyoshi.
6. How long has the film been playing when the writer decides to watch it in Chapter 14?
(a) 7 minutes.
(b) 12 minutes.
(c) 45 minutes.
(d) 30 minutes.
7. The assignment the protagonist goes on in Chapter 2 involves writing about what?
8. The protagonist's job consisted mostly of what type of work in the beginning, as described in Chapter 3?
(a) Computer work.
(c) Construction work.
(d) PR work.
9. The protagonist makes an analogy of the Dolphin Hotel to what in Chapter 1?
(a) A match.
(b) A castle.
(c) A button.
(d) A dungeon.
10. The young girl tells the writer that she and her mother have a place to stay where in Chapter 16?
11. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must take a trip for how long in Chapter 3?
(a) 3 weeks.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 1 month.
(d) 9 days.
12. Whom does Yuki mention which chills the writer in Chapter 19?
(a) Ryoichi Gotanda.
(b) The Sheep Man.
(c) Miss Yumiyoshi.
13. What is the name of the young girl whom the writer accompanies on her flight in Chapter 16?
14. The character named Kiki was what before becoming an actress?
(a) A secretary.
(b) A call girl.
(c) A hairdresser.
(d) A lawyer.
15. The writer and photographer take a day after the assignment to do what in Chapter 4?
(a) Go fishing.
(b) Go kayaking.
(c) Go cross-country skiing.
(d) Visit a casino.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the young girl doing whom the narrator spots in the hotel bar in Chapter 6?
2. What is the name of Ryoichi Gotanda's latest movie in the novel?
3. In Chapter 9, the writer develops an elaborate fantasy about an actress playing what historical figure?
4. In the stead where the Dolphin Hotel once stood is a building that is how many stories tall in Chapter 4?
5. What pet did the protagonist have which died in his flashback in Chapter 2?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)