|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator of the novel describes the Dolphin Hotel as having been built where in Chapter 1?
(a) The wrong place.
(b) The ideal place.
(c) The cheapest piece of real estate.
(d) On the water.
2. How long has the film been playing when the writer decides to watch it in Chapter 14?
(a) 30 minutes.
(b) 12 minutes.
(c) 7 minutes.
(d) 45 minutes.
3. The Sheep Man tells the writer that his people were chased where long ago in Chapter 11?
(a) The mountains.
(b) The woods.
(c) The swamp.
(d) The desert.
4. Who is the actress the writer sees being seduced in the film in Chapter 14?
(a) Miss Yumiyoshi.
5. After the assignment is finished, the writer decides to go where in Chapter 4?
6. How old is the protagonist of the novel?
7. At what time does the writer go to dinner in Chapter 13?
(a) 6 p.m.
(b) 11 p.m.
(c) 9 p.m.
(d) 4 p.m.
8. Ryoichi Gotanda was a former what to the narrator?
(a) Lab partner.
(c) Political rival.
9. The receptionist at the hotel had a strange experience on what floor, as related in Chapter 7?
10. What is the name of the woman who lived with the writer at the Dolphin Hotel?
11. What word refers to people or works that are experimental or innovative, particularly with respect to art, culture, and politics?
12. In what country is the novel set?
(d) South Korea.
13. What is the young girl doing whom the narrator spots in the hotel bar in Chapter 6?
(b) Listening to a Walkman.
(c) Eating lunch.
(d) Reading the paper.
14. What is the name of Yuki's father in the novel?
(a) Hiraku Makimura.
(c) Ryoichi Gotanda.
15. What season was it when the writer returned to society after his reclusive bout described in Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of Yuki's father in the novel?
2. The character named Kiki was what before becoming an actress?
3. What is the narrative voice of the novel?
4. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must take a trip for how long in Chapter 3?
5. Where do the writer and the girl arrive in Chapter 16?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)