|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Sheep Man warns that the writer could get stuck in what in Chapter 11?
(a) The in-between.
(b) A wormhole.
(c) Suspended animation.
(d) The netherworld.
2. The receptionist at the hotel talks to the writer under the guise of discussing what in Chapter 7?
(a) Local traditions.
(c) Car rentals.
(d) Area attractions.
3. How does the receptionist describe the air as smelling just before she had a strange experience in the hotel in Chapter 7?
(b) Like beer.
(c) Like garbage.
(d) Like sulphur.
4. What is the name of the receptionist at the hotel whom the narrator befriends?
(a) Hiraku Makimura.
(b) Miss Yumiyoshi.
5. The Sheep Man says that the only thing the writer can do is what in Chapter 11?
6. The receptionist at the hotel had a strange experience on what floor, as related in Chapter 7?
7. What is the name of Yuki's father in the novel?
(b) Hiraku Makimura.
(d) Ryoichi Gotanda.
8. What is the name of the woman who lived with the writer at the Dolphin Hotel?
9. Who does the bartender say the girl at the bar is waiting for in Chapter 6?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her friend.
10. What is the profession of the protagonist in the novel?
(b) Car salesman.
(c) Freelance writer.
(d) Construction worker.
11. What causes the writer to leave the Sheep Man's room in Chapter 11?
(a) The temperature rises.
(b) The temperature drops.
(c) It gets very bright.
(d) It gets very dark.
12. For how long did the protagonist remain reclusive following his divorce and depression, as described in Chapter 2?
(a) 12 days.
(b) 5 weeks.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 6 months.
13. When the receptionist comes to talk to the writer in Chapter 7, he cannot get what individual out of his mind?
(a) The old owner of the hotel.
(b) His business partner.
(c) His niece.
(d) His mother.
14. The assignment the protagonist goes on in Chapter 2 involves writing for what?
(a) A daily newspaper.
(b) A kid's magazine.
(c) A scientific journal.
(d) A women's magazine.
15. The Sheep Man tells the writer that his people were chased where long ago in Chapter 11?
(a) The desert.
(b) The mountains.
(c) The woods.
(d) The swamp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car does the protagonist drive?
2. Where do the writer and photographer arrive in the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. Whom does Yuki mention which chills the writer in Chapter 19?
4. The protagonist makes an analogy of the Dolphin Hotel to what in Chapter 1?
5. Whom does the writer promise to have dinner with when he returns in Chapter 15?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)