|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the young girl doing the following morning when the narrator sees her again in Chapter 6?
(a) Leaving the hotel.
(b) Sitting in the lobby.
(c) Having breakfast with her mother.
(d) Swimming in the pool.
2. What is significant about the manner in which the Sheep Man speaks in the novel?
(a) He never speaks the letter "a."
(b) He starts every sentence with "I think."
(c) His words all run together.
(d) He writes everything down instead of using his voice.
3. How old is the girl that the narrator sees in the bar in Chapter 6?
4. In Chapter 9, the writer develops an elaborate fantasy about what actress?
(a) Susan Serandon.
(b) Jodie Foster.
(c) Meg Ryan.
(d) Julia Roberts.
5. What is the profession of Yuki's mother in the novel?
6. What is the only item of furniture in the Sheep Man's room?
(a) A couch.
(b) A writing desk.
(c) A round table.
(d) A bed.
7. In Chapter 9, the writer is restless and wishes that the receptionist did not have what that night?
(a) Swim club.
(b) A date.
(c) A martial arts lesson.
(d) A college class.
8. The interior of the hotel in Chapter 5 is described as what by the narrator?
9. The assignment the protagonist goes on in Chapter 2 involves writing about what?
10. The narrator of the novel describes the Dolphin Hotel as having been built where in Chapter 1?
(a) The wrong place.
(b) The cheapest piece of real estate.
(c) On the water.
(d) The ideal place.
11. What is the profession of the protagonist in the novel?
(b) Freelance writer.
(c) Construction worker.
(d) Car salesman.
12. What is the name of Ryoichi Gotanda's latest movie in the novel?
(a) "Lost Love."
(b) "Unrequited Love."
(c) "Dance Dance Dance."
(d) "A Murder Forgotten."
13. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must take a trip for how long in Chapter 3?
(a) 3 weeks.
(b) 9 days.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 1 month.
14. Who is the actress the writer sees being seduced in the film in Chapter 14?
(d) Miss Yumiyoshi.
15. In the stead where the Dolphin Hotel once stood is a building that is how many stories tall in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car does the protagonist drive?
2. Where does the writer step inside to use the restroom during his walk in Chapter 14?
3. What word refers to people or works that are experimental or innovative, particularly with respect to art, culture, and politics?
4. How does the receptionist describe the air as smelling just before she had a strange experience in the hotel in Chapter 7?
5. The young girl tells the writer that she and her mother have a place to stay where in Chapter 16?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)