|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the receptionist at the hotel whom the narrator befriends?
(a) Hiraku Makimura.
(b) Miss Yumiyoshi.
2. How old is the girl that the narrator sees in the bar in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 9, the writer develops an elaborate fantasy about what actress?
(a) Jodie Foster.
(b) Meg Ryan.
(c) Julia Roberts.
(d) Susan Serandon.
4. What is the profession of Yuki's mother in the novel?
5. What is the profession of the protagonist in the novel?
(b) Car salesman.
(c) Freelance writer.
(d) Construction worker.
6. After dinner Yuki insists that the writer take a drive so that they can do what in Chapter 19?
(a) Look at the sunset.
(c) Listen to music.
(d) Look for her mother.
7. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must take a trip for how long in Chapter 3?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 9 days.
(d) 3 weeks.
8. What is significant about the manner in which the Sheep Man speaks in the novel?
(a) His words all run together.
(b) He starts every sentence with "I think."
(c) He writes everything down instead of using his voice.
(d) He never speaks the letter "a."
9. What season was it when the writer returned to society after his reclusive bout described in Chapter 2?
10. The Sheep Man says that the only thing the writer can do is what in Chapter 11?
11. In describing Ryoichi Gotanda, the writer comments that he never understood how someone could be so what?
12. What is the name of Ryoichi Gotanda's latest movie in the novel?
(a) "Dance Dance Dance."
(b) "Unrequited Love."
(c) "A Murder Forgotten."
(d) "Lost Love."
13. How long has it been since the protagonist has seen Kiki in Chapter 4?
(a) 4.5 years.
(b) 10 weeks.
(c) 41 days.
(d) 18 months.
14. The assignment the protagonist goes on in Chapter 2 involves writing for what?
(a) A women's magazine.
(b) A kid's magazine.
(c) A scientific journal.
(d) A daily newspaper.
15. When does the receptionist wake up the writer in Chapter 12?
(a) 3 p.m.
(b) 5 a.m.
(c) 9 a.m.
(d) 11 a.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pet did the protagonist have which died in his flashback in Chapter 2?
2. What is the only item of furniture in the Sheep Man's room?
3. What has the Dolphin Hotel been renamed in Chapter 4?
4. Who is the actress the writer sees being seduced in the film in Chapter 14?
5. What is the name of Yuki's mother in the novel?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)