|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator of the novel describes the Dolphin Hotel as having been built where in Chapter 1?
(a) The cheapest piece of real estate.
(b) The wrong place.
(c) On the water.
(d) The ideal place.
2. The Sheep Man warns that the writer could get stuck in what in Chapter 11?
(a) A wormhole.
(b) The netherworld.
(c) Suspended animation.
(d) The in-between.
3. The receptionist at the hotel talks to the writer under the guise of discussing what in Chapter 7?
(a) Car rentals.
(c) Area attractions.
(d) Local traditions.
4. What is the profession of Yuki's father in the novel?
(d) Race car driver.
5. What is the narrative voice of the novel?
(a) Second person.
(b) Third person.
(c) First person.
(d) Fourth person.
6. What is the name of Yuki's mother in the novel?
(a) Miss Yumiyoshi.
7. The Sheep Man tells the writer that his people were chased where long ago in Chapter 11?
(a) The desert.
(b) The woods.
(c) The swamp.
(d) The mountains.
8. How old is the protagonist of the novel?
9. How old is the girl that the narrator sees in the bar in Chapter 6?
10. For how long did the protagonist remain reclusive following his divorce and depression, as described in Chapter 2?
(a) 5 weeks.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 12 days.
(d) 1 year.
11. What pet did the protagonist have which died in his flashback in Chapter 2?
(a) A cat.
(b) An iguana.
(c) A dog.
(d) A snake.
12. After the assignment is finished, the writer decides to go where in Chapter 4?
13. The Sheep Man says that the only thing the writer can do is what in Chapter 11?
14. What is the name of the young girl whom the writer accompanies on her flight in Chapter 16?
15. Where do the writer and photographer arrive in the beginning of Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word refers to people or works that are experimental or innovative, particularly with respect to art, culture, and politics?
2. Where does the protagonist go on assignment in Chapter 2?
3. The interior of the hotel in Chapter 5 is described as what by the narrator?
4. The young girl tells the writer that she and her mother have a place to stay where in Chapter 16?
5. In Chapter 12, the writer returns to the bedroom and is plagued by what?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)