Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the receptionist describe the air as smelling just before she had a strange experience in the hotel in Chapter 7?
(b) Like garbage.
(c) Like sulphur.
(d) Like beer.
2. In Chapter 9, the writer is restless and wishes that the receptionist did not have what that night?
(a) A date.
(b) A martial arts lesson.
(c) A college class.
(d) Swim club.
3. Whom does the writer promise to have dinner with when he returns in Chapter 15?
(a) The Sheep Man.
(b) The receptionist.
(d) The hotel manager.
4. Who told the writer that not knowing is what hurts other people, as revealed in Chapter 13?
(a) His ex-wife.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His grandmother.
5. For how long did the protagonist remain reclusive following his divorce and depression, as described in Chapter 2?
(a) 5 weeks.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 12 days.
(d) 1 year.
6. The young girl tells the writer that she and her mother have a place to stay where in Chapter 16?
7. What is significant about the manner in which the Sheep Man speaks in the novel?
(a) His words all run together.
(b) He starts every sentence with "I think."
(c) He never speaks the letter "a."
(d) He writes everything down instead of using his voice.
8. What season was it when the writer returned to society after his reclusive bout described in Chapter 2?
9. Ryoichi Gotanda was a former what to the narrator?
(a) Lab partner.
(c) Political rival.
10. Where does the narrator go to find the news article about the selling of the hotel in Chapter 7?
(a) The newspaper headquarters.
(b) A local historian.
(c) The library.
(d) A used bookstore.
11. In Chapter 15, the writer decides to book a flight where?
12. What is the only item of furniture in the Sheep Man's room?
(a) A couch.
(b) A bed.
(c) A round table.
(d) A writing desk.
13. How old is the girl that the narrator sees in the bar in Chapter 6?
14. What is the name of the woman who lived with the writer at the Dolphin Hotel?
15. The protagonist makes an analogy of the Dolphin Hotel to what in Chapter 1?
(a) A castle.
(b) A button.
(c) A match.
(d) A dungeon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrative voice of the novel?
2. When the receptionist comes to talk to the writer in Chapter 7, he cannot get what individual out of his mind?
3. What has the Dolphin Hotel been renamed in Chapter 4?
4. After dinner Yuki insists that the writer take a drive so that they can do what in Chapter 19?
5. How old is the protagonist of the novel?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)