|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, the writer develops an elaborate fantasy about what actress?
(a) Jodie Foster.
(b) Meg Ryan.
(c) Julia Roberts.
(d) Susan Serandon.
2. How old is the girl that the narrator sees in the bar in Chapter 6?
3. What is the narrative voice of the novel?
(a) First person.
(b) Fourth person.
(c) Third person.
(d) Second person.
4. The interior of the hotel in Chapter 5 is described as what by the narrator?
5. The Sheep Man's world is a place in the shadows where people go when they need to find out what?
(a) How things are connected.
(b) Why they are sick.
(c) The local gossip.
(d) The meaning of life.
6. Where does the writer step inside to use the restroom during his walk in Chapter 14?
(a) A library.
(b) A movie theater.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A police station.
7. Where does the protagonist go on assignment in Chapter 2?
8. How does the receptionist describe the air as smelling just before she had a strange experience in the hotel in Chapter 7?
(a) Like sulphur.
(b) Like beer.
(d) Like garbage.
9. Whom does the writer see seducing a woman in the film in Chapter 14?
(a) The Sheep Man.
(b) Hiraku Makimura.
(d) Ryoichi Gotanda.
10. What does the writer sit on in the strange room in Chapter 11?
(a) A pillow.
(b) A chair.
(c) A stool.
11. After the assignment is finished, the writer decides to go where in Chapter 4?
12. What is significant about the manner in which the Sheep Man speaks in the novel?
(a) His words all run together.
(b) He never speaks the letter "a."
(c) He writes everything down instead of using his voice.
(d) He starts every sentence with "I think."
13. What is the name of the young girl whom the writer accompanies on her flight in Chapter 16?
14. What kind of car does the protagonist drive?
15. Who told the writer that not knowing is what hurts other people, as revealed in Chapter 13?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His ex-wife.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the receptionist visits the writer in Chapter 12, he keeps mentioning what creature?
2. What has the Dolphin Hotel been renamed in Chapter 4?
3. In the stead where the Dolphin Hotel once stood is a building that is designed in what style in Chapter 4?
4. The Sheep Man tells the writer that his people were chased where long ago in Chapter 11?
5. The protagonist makes an analogy of the Dolphin Hotel to what in Chapter 1?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)