|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the profession of Yuki's mother in the novel?
2. Who is the actress the writer sees being seduced in the film in Chapter 14?
(b) Miss Yumiyoshi.
3. The character named Kiki was what before becoming an actress?
(a) A secretary.
(b) A call girl.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A hairdresser.
4. What does the writer sit on in the strange room in Chapter 11?
(a) A pillow.
(b) A chair.
(d) A stool.
5. What is the name of the woman who lived with the writer at the Dolphin Hotel?
6. What is significant about the manner in which the Sheep Man speaks in the novel?
(a) He writes everything down instead of using his voice.
(b) He starts every sentence with "I think."
(c) His words all run together.
(d) He never speaks the letter "a."
7. What season was it when the writer returned to society after his reclusive bout described in Chapter 2?
8. What is the young girl doing whom the narrator spots in the hotel bar in Chapter 6?
(a) Listening to a Walkman.
(c) Reading the paper.
(d) Eating lunch.
9. What word refers to people or works that are experimental or innovative, particularly with respect to art, culture, and politics?
10. In Chapter 15, the writer decides to book a flight where?
11. Where is the Dolphin Hotel located?
12. What is the name of the young girl whom the writer accompanies on her flight in Chapter 16?
13. The interior of the hotel in Chapter 5 is described as what by the narrator?
14. Who answers the door when the writers knocks in Chapter 10?
(a) The Tree Dude.
(b) The Ape Brother.
(c) The Dog Guy.
(d) The Sheep Man.
15. At what time does the writer go to dinner in Chapter 13?
(a) 6 p.m.
(b) 11 p.m.
(c) 9 p.m.
(d) 4 p.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country is the novel set?
2. What is the only item of furniture in the Sheep Man's room?
3. What was the manager's reaction when the receptionist told him about her strange experience, as told in Chapter 7?
4. Who told the writer that not knowing is what hurts other people, as revealed in Chapter 13?
5. In Chapter 8, the writer calls his former business partner where?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)