|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 12, the writer returns to the bedroom and is plagued by what?
2. The character named Kiki was what before becoming an actress?
(a) A call girl.
(b) A secretary.
(c) A hairdresser.
(d) A lawyer.
3. The protagonist tells his business connections that he must go where in Chapter 3?
4. The protagonist's job consisted mostly of what type of work in the beginning, as described in Chapter 3?
(a) PR work.
(b) Computer work.
(c) Construction work.
5. The Sheep Man's world is a place in the shadows where people go when they need to find out what?
(a) The local gossip.
(b) How things are connected.
(c) Why they are sick.
(d) The meaning of life.
6. Who does the bartender say the girl at the bar is waiting for in Chapter 6?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her friend.
7. The narrator refers to his job as shoveling what in Chapter 2?
(a) Consumer dribble.
(b) Brain fluff.
(c) Mental dung.
(d) Cultural snow.
8. What is the name of Yuki's mother in the novel?
(d) Miss Yumiyoshi.
9. In the stead where the Dolphin Hotel once stood is a building that is designed in what style in Chapter 4?
(a) Victorian style.
(b) Colonial style.
(c) Bauhaus-Art Deco style.
(d) East Indian style.
10. Whom does the writer see seducing a woman in the film in Chapter 14?
(a) Ryoichi Gotanda.
(b) The Sheep Man.
(c) Hiraku Makimura.
11. What is the name of Yuki's father in the novel?
(b) Hiraku Makimura.
(d) Ryoichi Gotanda.
12. What is the profession of Yuki's mother in the novel?
13. What literary style does the narrator describe as rhetoric for rhetoric's sake in Chapter 17?
(c) Western modernist.
(d) French nouvelle vague.
14. The narrator of the novel describes the Dolphin Hotel as having been built where in Chapter 1?
(a) The cheapest piece of real estate.
(b) The ideal place.
(c) On the water.
(d) The wrong place.
15. In Chapter 8, the writer calls his former business partner where?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the writer step inside to use the restroom during his walk in Chapter 14?
2. Where do the writer and the girl arrive in Chapter 16?
3. The young girl tells the writer that she and her mother have a place to stay where in Chapter 16?
4. The Sheep Man says that the only thing the writer can do is what in Chapter 11?
5. In the stead where the Dolphin Hotel once stood is a building that is how many stories tall in Chapter 4?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)