* Chapter 1 begins with an unnamed protagonist thinking about his stay at the Dolphin Hotel in Sapporo. The hotel was a dive, but the man cannot seem to get it out of his mind.
* Part of the reason for that was an extended stay with a call girl named whose name he did not know.
* The narrator details the Dolphin Hotel in all its shabby glory. Frst of all, it was built in the wrong place, and it lacked a sense of being normal.
* The protagonist, who is a freelance writer, refers to it as being "Like a button on a shirt buttoned wrong, every attempt to correct things led to yet another fine - not to say elegant - mess."
* In Chapter 2, the writer goes to Hokkaido on a work assignment which includes writing about restaurants for a women's magazine.
* The writer's background is revealed. He...
This section contains 2,246 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)