|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Northridge says he had no fruit or converts to show for his time spent as a missionary, how long had Northridge been working as such?
2. Where does Dalva camp after visiting Michael in the hospital?
3. Who does Dalva learn is willing to meet her?
4. What does Dalva's son's adoptive mother say she named the boy?
5. What illness is Lunquist treated for in the middle of the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dalva find herself at peace over the unfairness of the world?
2. Discuss the meeting between Dalva and her son's adoptive mother.
3. Discuss the attack against Michael at the horse sale.
4. Discuss Northridge's journal entry after five years of being a missionary.
5. Discuss the dinner between Dalva, Ruth, Paul, and Fred.
6. How do Dalva and Sam meet?
7. How does Michael seduce Karen?
8. Discuss the months missing from Northridge's journal.
9. Why is Michael in the hospital?
10. What does Dalva learn about Paul's ranch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss setting. What is the role/importance of setting and how is it displayed?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of peace and war is shown between the Indians and the white settlers. How is this idea of peace and war used and what effect does this have on the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The genre of the novel is ___. Why does the book fall into this genre? Give at least three examples to justify your response.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)