|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was awed, seeing a buffalo herd?
2. What does Northridge note he may have mistakenly chosen?
3. What is Dalva's response when Michael mentions Duane?
4. Who lost almost their whole tribe to illness?
5. Whom does Sam remind Dalva of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the tribe Northridge befriends during the war.
2. Discuss the dinner between Dalva, Ruth, Paul, and Fred.
3. What history does Michael learn about Northridge when going back to work?
4. Discuss Michael's speech at the rotary club.
5. Discuss Northridge's discovery of Crazy Horse's daughter.
6. What does Michael find important in Northrdige's descriptions in his journal?
7. What does Dalva learn about Paul's ranch?
8. Discuss the attack against Michael at the horse sale.
9. What does Northridge discover about the government's plans for the Sioux?
10. What happens when Northridge runs into a Cavalry group?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Flashbacks are used in the novel. Discuss the role of flashbacks and the positive and negative influence they have.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of peace and war is shown between the Indians and the white settlers. How is this idea of peace and war used and what effect does this have on the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dalva's relationship with men with that of Ruth's relationships with men. What role do their relationships have in the novel?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)