|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Michael admit he is not interested in?
2. Who has an affair with a priest?
3. Where is Dalva arrested for speaking of Duane?
4. Who offers to find Dalva's son in exchange for family information?
5. Who is Grace Pindar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Ruth and Ted separate?
2. Who does Northridge speak of befriending?
3. Discuss Northridge's job.
4. What happens when Dalva learns of Duane dying?
5. Discuss the events of Dalva's grandfather's death.
6. Discuss the meeting with Michael's chairman.
7. Discuss Dalva's grandfather's journals.
8. What is Dalva's grandfather's response when she tells him she would rather shoot herself than have Duane remain gone?
9. What are Michael's first thoughts of the farm?
10. What does Dalva do after the birth of her son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of government in the novel and the positive and negative influence it has in the story.
Essay Topic 2
How are character descriptions used to provide information on characters in the story? What are the benefits of character descriptions used in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss theme. What is the theme of the novel and how does the novel fall into this theme?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)