|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who served as a missionary to the Sioux Indians on behalf of the government?
2. Who kisses Dalva after she wins a high school dance competition?
3. What do Dalva's great grandfather's journals include?
4. What does Dalva realize she is finally accepting?
5. What does Dalva refuse after a brief argument with Michael?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Michael admit he is and is not interested in?
2. Discuss the letter Dalva receives from Ruth.
3. What does Duane do to the football players at school?
4. Discuss the meeting with Michael's chairman.
5. Discuss the phone conversation between Dalva and Ruth.
6. How does Duane die?
7. What happens while Michael and Lundquist are at the Lazy Daze Tavern?
8. What happens when Dalva learns of Duane dying?
9. What does Dalva do after the birth of her son?
10. What is Dalva's grandfather's response when she tells him she would rather shoot herself than have Duane remain gone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Decide who you believe to be the protagonist and the antagonist in the story. Explain why you chose these characters. What classifies these characters as being a protagonist and antagonist? What are the results of having a protagonist and an antagonist in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss setting. What is the role/importance of setting and how is it displayed?
Essay Topic 3
The history of the Sioux Indians is discussed in the novel. What type of history does the novel give about the Indians and what are the effects of this?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)