|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Northridge plan to go to become a botanist?
2. Whom does Dalva's grandfather leave his estate to?
3. What does Michael realize about his involvement with the journals?
4. Who offers to find Dalva's son in exchange for family information?
5. Who is said to be a highly dangerous man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Northridge speak of befriending?
2. What is learned about Dalva's follower?
3. What happens during Dalva and Ted's lunch at a local cafe?
4. Discuss Northridge's job.
5. Discuss the phone conversation between Dalva and Ruth.
6. What happens while Michael and Lundquist are at the Lazy Daze Tavern?
7. Why does Dalva like Duane?
8. Discuss the letter Dalva receives from Ruth.
9. Discuss the meeting with Michael's chairman.
10. How does Duane die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of chapters and titles in the novel and the effect they have on the story.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Dalva's relationship with Duane with that of her relationship with Sam Creekmouth.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing plays a role in the novel when following past and present version of the story. What is the role of foreshadowing in the novel? What are the positive and negative aspects of this writing style?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)