|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who snuck away from a hospital and disappeared?
2. How does Duane die?
3. Who writes letters from dying soldiers to their loved ones?
4. Who accepts an offer to move back to Nebraska?
5. What was Dalva's great grandfather's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dalva do after the birth of her son?
2. What happens when Dalva visits Duane when he's dying?
3. What does Duane do to the football players at school?
4. Discuss Dalva's family tree.
5. What happens while Dalva is with Michael in San Francisco?
6. How does Duane die?
7. Discuss Dalva's meeting with Duane's mother Rachel.
8. What happens when Dalva learns she is being followed?
9. What is learned about Dalva's follower?
10. Discuss the phone conversation between Dalva and Ruth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and describe the relationship between Dalva and Duane and the role it has in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing plays a role in the novel when following past and present version of the story. What is the role of foreshadowing in the novel? What are the positive and negative aspects of this writing style?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss theme. What is the theme of the novel and how does the novel fall into this theme?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)