|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes letters from dying soldiers to their loved ones?
2. How long have Ruth and Ted been separated?
3. Where was Duane when he was dying?
4. Who is Dalva's mother?
5. What happens to Dalva before giving birth to her son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Dalva's family tree.
2. Why do Ruth and Ted separate?
3. What happens when Dalva visits Duane when he's dying?
4. What does Michael learn about Lundquist when speaking with him?
5. What is learned about Dalva's follower?
6. What happens during Dalva and Ted's lunch at a local cafe?
7. Discuss the letter Dalva receives from Ruth.
8. Discuss Dalva's grandfather's journals.
9. Discuss the meeting with Michael's chairman.
10. What happens while Michael and Lundquist are at the Lazy Daze Tavern?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of peace and war is shown between the Indians and the white settlers. How is this idea of peace and war used and what effect does this have on the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Flashbacks are used in the novel. Discuss the role of flashbacks and the positive and negative influence they have.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of chapters and titles in the novel and the effect they have on the story.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)