'Dalva', pg. 3-35.
• The story begins in Santa Monica, California, in 1986.
• Dalva writes in a journal to her son whom she gave up for adoption when she was young.
• Dalva's father, John Wesley, died in the Korean War; Dalva was only nine.
• Dalva's sister Ruth has been separated from her husband Ted for 15 years because he is gay.
• Ruth says she has begun an affair with a priest.
• Dalva dates a history professor named Michael; she says he has issues.
• Dalva says the previous winter she had worked with troubled teens and encountered one whose uncle raped him.
• Dalva goes to the boy's home to question the mother and is met by the uncle instead; Dalva is fired for her personal intervention in the case.
• Ruth calls Dalva and admits she has had one last fling with her priest in an effort to become pregnant.
• Dalva discusses her...
This section contains 1,814 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)