|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daisy admit to being?
2. What is the contrast between the Millers and Rome?
3. Figuratively, what does Winterbourne choose to do with Daisy that night at the Colosseum?
4. Why does Winterbourne arrive in Rome that winter?
5. What is the era the navel DAISY MILLER takes place in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the point at which Daisy and Winterbourne come into conflict.
2. What is Winterbourne's ulterior motive in going with Daisy to meet Giovanelli?
3. What does Daisy say she is about to do that scandalizes the Americans at Mrs. Walker's house?
4. How does Giovanelli attempt to warn off Winterbourne who is walking toward him and Daisy?
5. How does Winterbourne respond to Mrs. Walker's request that he stop seeing Daisy?
6. What confirmation about Daisy's innocence does Winterbourne finally receive?
7. How does James show that Daisy is not romantically interested in Giovanelli?
8. How does Daisy astonish Mrs. Walker that afternoon in her house?
9. How does Winterbourne's attempt at a joke turn out badly?
10. What happens in the winter of the same year Winterbourne met Daisy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the irony of Mrs. Costello's objection to Daisy's seeing Italian men. Although James does not comment on it, there is an irony that Mrs. Costello has an Italian last name. Discuss how people often condemn in otherw what they accept in themselves.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay expressing your opinion as to whether double standards between the sexes still exist. In your essay discuss such things as unwed mothers, unequal pay for equal work, and excluding women from certain male sports.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Henry James as a storyteller. State your opinion about his ability to hold the interest of the reader. Include the literary devices he uses and how well you think he manages to do that.
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)