|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request does Daisy make of Mrs. Walker?
2. What are the rumors about what Winterbourne is pursuing in Geneva?
3. What does Winterbourne do instead of trying to let Daisy know his true feelings?
4. What does Mrs. Costello say Daisy's activities are causing ?
5. What is the ironic double standard at the end of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the American women try to prevent Daisy from going to meet Giovanelli?
2. Describe the point at which Daisy and Winterbourne come into conflict.
3. Seeing Daisy with Giovanelli, how does he feel about her flirtation?
4. Describe the coincidental meeting between Winterbourne and Daisy.
5. How does the news about Daisy alter Winterbourne's plans after he arrives in Rome?
6. How does Winterbourne respond to Mrs. Walker's request that he stop seeing Daisy?
7. How does Winterbourne respond to Mrs. Costello?
8. How does Mrs. Miller show her own naivete regarding Giovanelli?
9. What is the admonition Winterbourne receives from his aunt?
10. In what way does Daisy turn the tables on Winterbourne when he warns her about Giovanelli?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay entitled, I Think Daisy Miller Would Fit in Well Today. What would she be like today? How would she dress? How would she be accepted by society today? Write about Daisy as a forerunner of the modern American woman.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Henry James as a storyteller. State your opinion about his ability to hold the interest of the reader. Include the literary devices he uses and how well you think he manages to do that.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Daisy's disinterest in the antiquities of Chillon Castle to a modern American youth's attitude toward amusements and games before the electronic ear. In making the comparison use Daisy's attitude at Chillon to compare with a modern young person at a museum of old board games. Ideally this essay will have a humorous tone.
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)