|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book One, how might Daisy be viewed?
2. When Winterbourne goes looking for Daisy and Giovanelli in the park, what does Daisy do when she spots him?
3. Why does Winterbourne arrive in Rome that winter?
4. What is the ironic double standard at the end of the novel?
5. When does Winterbourne decide emphatically that Daisy is not a nice girl?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the irony of Mrs. Costello's objection to Daisy's seeing Italian men. Although James does not comment on it, there is an irony that Mrs. Costello has an Italian last name. Discuss how people often condemn in otherw what they accept in themselves.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about understanding other people. As an example, Winterbourne never seems to catch on to Daisy's teasing. Your essay should discuss the importance of learning other people's personalities in order to build good relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about means of travel. Discuss (although it is not mentioned per se in the novella) how the Millers came from America and the various means of transportation mentioned in the book. Your essay should then compare travel in the 19th Century to 21st Century travel.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)