|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives at the house Winterbourne is visiting?
2. Who discusses Daisy's exploits but without the disapproving tone of Mrs. Costello?
3. What does Mrs. Costello say Daisy's activities are causing ?
4. At the funeral, what does Giovanelli proclaim about Daisy?
5. What does Daisy not see in the Italian men she goes out with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Daisy astonish Mrs. Walker that afternoon in her house?
2. In what way does Daisy turn the tables on Winterbourne when he warns her about Giovanelli?
3. How does Winterbourne respond to Mrs. Walker's request that he stop seeing Daisy?
4. Seeing Daisy with Giovanelli, how does he feel about her flirtation?
5. What does Daisy say she is about to do that scandalizes the Americans at Mrs. Walker's house?
6. How does Mrs. Walker's snubbing of Daisy affect her?
7. How does Winterbourne lecture Daisy at the Palace of the Caesars?
8. Describe the coincidental meeting between Winterbourne and Daisy.
9. How does Giovanelli attempt to warn off Winterbourne who is walking toward him and Daisy?
10. Describe the point at which Daisy and Winterbourne come into conflict.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay expressing your ideas about judging books by their covers. Daisy Miller suffers from being judged unfairly by prudes and snobs. Express you opinion about similar things happening today.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on competition in love. Use the verbal sparring between Giovanelli and Winterbourne as an example of how men compete for the attention of a woman. In your essay suggest how Winterbourne might have done a better job of courting Daisy.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the growth and change in America after the Civil War (1861-1865) which saw people like the Millers become quite wealthy through industry and become world travelers. Your essay should discuss the American spirit and the American dream that influenced its growth and development.
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)