|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Daisy respond to all the advice?
2. What is missing in Daisy that parallels what is missing in the American expatriates?
3. Figuratively, what does Winterbourne choose to do with Daisy that night at the Colosseum?
4. What comment of Winterbourne's does Daisy find disagreeable?
5. When Winterbourne goes looking for Daisy and Giovanelli in the park, what does Daisy do when she spots him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the American women try to prevent Daisy from going to meet Giovanelli?
2. How does Mrs. Miller show her own naivete regarding Giovanelli?
3. Describe the coincidental meeting between Winterbourne and Daisy.
4. How does Giovanelli attempt to warn off Winterbourne who is walking toward him and Daisy?
5. How does Winterbourne respond to Mrs. Costello?
6. How does Mrs. Walker's snubbing of Daisy affect her?
7. How does Winterbourne lecture Daisy at the Palace of the Caesars?
8. How does James show that Daisy is not romantically interested in Giovanelli?
9. What confirmation about Daisy's innocence does Winterbourne finally receive?
10. How do Winterbourne's and Daisy's meetings taper off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Henry James as a storyteller. State your opinion about his ability to hold the interest of the reader. Include the literary devices he uses and how well you think he manages to do that.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about style versus fads. Use Daisy Miller as an example of a young woman who has excellent fashion tastes for her day. Give your opinion about good fashion today as opposed to fad dressing and poor taste.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay entitled Why I Would Like to Visit Italy. Using some of the sites Daisy visits in Rome, give your reasons for wanting to visit there. Your essay should also mention Italian fashion and how it has influenced fashion in the USA.
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)