|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winterbourne learn at Daisy's funeral?
2. What is it that Winterbourne no longer believes in about Daisy?
3. What does Winterbourne do instead of trying to let Daisy know his true feelings?
4. How does Winterbourne defend Daisy?
5. What does Winterbourne warn Daisy that she is becoming?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Daisy turn the tables on Winterbourne when he warns her about Giovanelli?
2. How does James show that Daisy is not romantically interested in Giovanelli?
3. Describe the information Winterbourne receives about Daisy from Mrs. Walker.
4. What happens in the winter of the same year Winterbourne met Daisy?
5. What does Mrs. Walker say Daisy has done that is unacceptable?
6. How does Winterbourne lecture Daisy at the Palace of the Caesars?
7. What shows the determination of Mrs. Walker to save the reckless American girl?
8. How does Mrs. Walker's snubbing of Daisy affect her?
9. What confirmation about Daisy's innocence does Winterbourne finally receive?
10. How does Giovanelli attempt to warn off Winterbourne who is walking toward him and Daisy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the generation gap. In Daisy's day, Mrs. Miller is a perfect example of an older woman completely befuddled by the behavior of her children. Discuss the generation gap as something that has always existed and why you think that is.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay entitled, I Think Daisy Miller Would Fit in Well Today. What would she be like today? How would she dress? How would she be accepted by society today? Write about Daisy as a forerunner of the modern American woman.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Daisy's disinterest in the antiquities of Chillon Castle to a modern American youth's attitude toward amusements and games before the electronic ear. In making the comparison use Daisy's attitude at Chillon to compare with a modern young person at a museum of old board games. Ideally this essay will have a humorous tone.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)