|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winterbourne learn at Daisy's funeral?
2. Who does Mrs. Costello say has a good deal of manner and a wonderful mustache?
3. A year later back in Vevey what does Winterbourne confess to his aunt?
4. What does Winterbourne notice about Giovanelli?
5. What does Winterbourne accept as the truth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winterbourne's attempt at a joke turn out badly?
2. Describe Daisy's coquettish behavior that Winterbourne takes the wrong way.
3. What is the admonition Winterbourne receives from his aunt?
4. To solve the problem of Daisy's going alone, how does Winterbourne provide an answer?
5. How does the news about Daisy alter Winterbourne's plans after he arrives in Rome?
6. How do the American women try to prevent Daisy from going to meet Giovanelli?
7. What confirmation about Daisy's innocence does Winterbourne finally receive?
8. What shows the determination of Mrs. Walker to save the reckless American girl?
9. What does Mrs. Walker say Daisy has done that is unacceptable?
10. What does Daisy say she is about to do that scandalizes the Americans at Mrs. Walker's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on writing. Using Henry James as an example, discuss your thoughts on the contribution writers have made toward civilization. Speculate in your essay what the world would be like without the great writing down through the ages.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing Daisy to the Cindy Lauper song, Girls Just Want to Have Fun. In your essay show how Henry James' Daisy Miller foreshadows a much less restrictive future for young American women.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the value of preserving antiquities. List in your essay the reasons preserving architecture and artifacts have an important role to play in human understanding of our history.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)