|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion prevents Winterbourne from going directly to see Daisy in Rome?
2. What is Daisy doing, according to Mrs. Costello, that disturbs Winterbourne?
3. What does Winterbourne warn Daisy that she is becoming?
4. What is a further danger at night in the Colosseum?
5. Why is Daisy miffed at Winterbourne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shows the determination of Mrs. Walker to save the reckless American girl?
2. What does Daisy say she is about to do that scandalizes the Americans at Mrs. Walker's house?
3. How does Mrs. Miller show her own naivete regarding Giovanelli?
4. How does Winterbourne lecture Daisy at the Palace of the Caesars?
5. In what way does Daisy turn the tables on Winterbourne when he warns her about Giovanelli?
6. What is Winterbourne's ulterior motive in going with Daisy to meet Giovanelli?
7. How does Henry James satirize Americans in the scene at Mrs. Walker's afternoon gathering?
8. How does Daisy astonish Mrs. Walker that afternoon in her house?
9. Describe Daisy's coquettish behavior that Winterbourne takes the wrong way.
10. How do the American women try to prevent Daisy from going to meet Giovanelli?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the growth and change in America after the Civil War (1861-1865) which saw people like the Millers become quite wealthy through industry and become world travelers. Your essay should discuss the American spirit and the American dream that influenced its growth and development.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay entitled, I Think Daisy Miller Would Fit in Well Today. What would she be like today? How would she dress? How would she be accepted by society today? Write about Daisy as a forerunner of the modern American woman.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on writing. Using Henry James as an example, discuss your thoughts on the contribution writers have made toward civilization. Speculate in your essay what the world would be like without the great writing down through the ages.
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)