|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time does Winterbourne run into Daisy and Giovanelli again at the Colosseum a week later?
2. A year later back in Vevey what does Winterbourne confess to his aunt?
3. What does Winterbourne say he had done to Daisy?
4. Why is Daisy miffed at Winterbourne?
5. What does Daisy say she intends to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Miller show her own naivete regarding Giovanelli?
2. How do Winterbourne's and Daisy's meetings taper off?
3. Describe the coincidental meeting between Winterbourne and Daisy.
4. Describe the point at which Daisy and Winterbourne come into conflict.
5. What shows the determination of Mrs. Walker to save the reckless American girl?
6. What confirmation about Daisy's innocence does Winterbourne finally receive?
7. How does Winterbourne's attempt at a joke turn out badly?
8. How does the news about Daisy alter Winterbourne's plans after he arrives in Rome?
9. What does Mrs. Walker say Daisy has done that is unacceptable?
10. In what way does Daisy turn the tables on Winterbourne when he warns her about Giovanelli?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the growth and change in America after the Civil War (1861-1865) which saw people like the Millers become quite wealthy through industry and become world travelers. Your essay should discuss the American spirit and the American dream that influenced its growth and development.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay expressing your opinion as to whether double standards between the sexes still exist. In your essay discuss such things as unwed mothers, unequal pay for equal work, and excluding women from certain male sports.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about means of travel. Discuss (although it is not mentioned per se in the novella) how the Millers came from America and the various means of transportation mentioned in the book. Your essay should then compare travel in the 19th Century to 21st Century travel.
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)