|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Walker react to Daisy's announcement?
2. What is the irony of Mrs. Costello?
3. How does Daisy correspond with Winterbourne?
4. How does Daisy's letter to Winterbourne reveal her real feelings about him?
5. What news does Mrs. Costello have for her nephew?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shows the determination of Mrs. Walker to save the reckless American girl?
2. In what way does Daisy turn the tables on Winterbourne when he warns her about Giovanelli?
3. How does Winterbourne lecture Daisy at the Palace of the Caesars?
4. What does Daisy say she is about to do that scandalizes the Americans at Mrs. Walker's house?
5. What confirmation about Daisy's innocence does Winterbourne finally receive?
6. How do Winterbourne's and Daisy's meetings taper off?
7. What is the admonition Winterbourne receives from his aunt?
8. Describe the point at which Daisy and Winterbourne come into conflict.
9. What does Mrs. Walker say Daisy has done that is unacceptable?
10. How does Mrs. Walker's snubbing of Daisy affect her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the value of preserving antiquities. List in your essay the reasons preserving architecture and artifacts have an important role to play in human understanding of our history.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on competition in love. Use the verbal sparring between Giovanelli and Winterbourne as an example of how men compete for the attention of a woman. In your essay suggest how Winterbourne might have done a better job of courting Daisy.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the growth and change in America after the Civil War (1861-1865) which saw people like the Millers become quite wealthy through industry and become world travelers. Your essay should discuss the American spirit and the American dream that influenced its growth and development.
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)