|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winterbourne ask Daisy to do?
2. Who does Winterbourne warn about Daisy's behavior?
3. Who does Winterbourne suggest will misinterpret Daisy's activities?
4. What does flirtation mean to the American expatriates in Rome?
5. What rude comment does Randolph make to Mrs. Walker?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the winter of the same year Winterbourne met Daisy?
2. At Mrs. Walker's party, how does Winterbourne alter to stop Daisy's behavior?
3. How does Mrs. Walker's snubbing of Daisy affect her?
4. How does Daisy astonish Mrs. Walker that afternoon in her house?
5. What is Winterbourne's ulterior motive in going with Daisy to meet Giovanelli?
6. How does Winterbourne begin to size up Giovanelli?
7. What does Mrs. Walker say Daisy has done that is unacceptable?
8. How does Mrs. Miller show her own naivete regarding Giovanelli?
9. Describe the difference between Mrs. Costello's opinion of Daisy and Mrs. Miller's opinion.
10. How does Winterbourne lecture Daisy at the Palace of the Caesars?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the value of preserving antiquities. List in your essay the reasons preserving architecture and artifacts have an important role to play in human understanding of our history.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay expressing your opinion as to whether double standards between the sexes still exist. In your essay discuss such things as unwed mothers, unequal pay for equal work, and excluding women from certain male sports.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about means of travel. Discuss (although it is not mentioned per se in the novella) how the Millers came from America and the various means of transportation mentioned in the book. Your essay should then compare travel in the 19th Century to 21st Century travel.
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)