|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Daisy doing that makes Mrs. Walker say she has disgraced herself?
2. Who does Winterbourne warn about Daisy's behavior?
3. Figuratively, what does Winterbourne choose to do with Daisy that night at the Colosseum?
4. When does Winterbourne decide emphatically that Daisy is not a nice girl?
5. What request does Daisy make of Mrs. Walker?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Giovanelli attempt to warn off Winterbourne who is walking toward him and Daisy?
2. How does Henry James satirize Americans in the scene at Mrs. Walker's afternoon gathering?
3. What confirmation about Daisy's innocence does Winterbourne finally receive?
4. How does Winterbourne respond to Mrs. Walker's request that he stop seeing Daisy?
5. How does James show that Daisy is not romantically interested in Giovanelli?
6. At Mrs. Walker's party, how does Winterbourne alter to stop Daisy's behavior?
7. Seeing Daisy with Giovanelli, how does he feel about her flirtation?
8. In what way does Daisy turn the tables on Winterbourne when he warns her about Giovanelli?
9. What does Mrs. Walker say Daisy has done that is unacceptable?
10. How does Mrs. Walker's snubbing of Daisy affect her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing Daisy to the Cindy Lauper song, Girls Just Want to Have Fun. In your essay show how Henry James' Daisy Miller foreshadows a much less restrictive future for young American women.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the generation gap. In Daisy's day, Mrs. Miller is a perfect example of an older woman completely befuddled by the behavior of her children. Discuss the generation gap as something that has always existed and why you think that is.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Henry James as a storyteller. State your opinion about his ability to hold the interest of the reader. Include the literary devices he uses and how well you think he manages to do that.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)