|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winterbourne warn Daisy that she is becoming?
2. Who does Winterbourne warn about Daisy's behavior?
3. What does Winterbourne learn at Daisy's funeral?
4. Who arrives at the house Winterbourne is visiting?
5. What does Daisy ask if Winterbourne remembers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winterbourne begin to size up Giovanelli?
2. How do Winterbourne's and Daisy's meetings taper off?
3. What does Mrs. Walker say Daisy has done that is unacceptable?
4. At Mrs. Walker's party, how does Winterbourne alter to stop Daisy's behavior?
5. How does Mrs. Miller show her own naivete regarding Giovanelli?
6. How does Henry James satirize Americans in the scene at Mrs. Walker's afternoon gathering?
7. Describe the difference between Mrs. Costello's opinion of Daisy and Mrs. Miller's opinion.
8. What shows the determination of Mrs. Walker to save the reckless American girl?
9. Describe the coincidental meeting between Winterbourne and Daisy.
10. Seeing Daisy with Giovanelli, how does he feel about her flirtation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about means of travel. Discuss (although it is not mentioned per se in the novella) how the Millers came from America and the various means of transportation mentioned in the book. Your essay should then compare travel in the 19th Century to 21st Century travel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about cause and effect. Use the idea in DAISY MILLER that the night air causes malaria. Discuss how humans need to assign a cause or blame for anything but are very often wrong in their conclusions. Include some other old wives tales that were once accepted as the truth but are disproved today.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay entitled, I Think Daisy Miller Would Fit in Well Today. What would she be like today? How would she dress? How would she be accepted by society today? Write about Daisy as a forerunner of the modern American woman.
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)