|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Daisy already noticed Mr. Giovanelli doing?
2. Who arrives in a carriage?
3. What is the irony of the Americans disapproving of the outsiders?
4. How does Daisy correspond with Winterbourne?
5. When Winterbourne goes looking for Daisy and Giovanelli in the park, what does Daisy do when she spots him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay entitled, I Think Daisy Miller Would Fit in Well Today. What would she be like today? How would she dress? How would she be accepted by society today? Write about Daisy as a forerunner of the modern American woman.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on competition in love. Use the verbal sparring between Giovanelli and Winterbourne as an example of how men compete for the attention of a woman. In your essay suggest how Winterbourne might have done a better job of courting Daisy.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the differences in European social order and the more democratic social order of the USA. Discuss the idea of social classes and give your opinion about such structure.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)