|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winterbourne ask Daisy to do?
2. How does Winterbourne defend Daisy?
3. What does Winterbourne agree that Daisy should do?
4. Who does Mrs. Costello say has a good deal of manner and a wonderful mustache?
5. What does Winterbourne volunteer to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winterbourne respond to Mrs. Costello?
2. How do the American women try to prevent Daisy from going to meet Giovanelli?
3. Describe the coincidental meeting between Winterbourne and Daisy.
4. Describe Daisy's coquettish behavior that Winterbourne takes the wrong way.
5. In what way does Daisy turn the tables on Winterbourne when he warns her about Giovanelli?
6. What shows the determination of Mrs. Walker to save the reckless American girl?
7. Seeing Daisy with Giovanelli, how does he feel about her flirtation?
8. What is the admonition Winterbourne receives from his aunt?
9. How does Mrs. Miller show her own naivete regarding Giovanelli?
10. Describe the point at which Daisy and Winterbourne come into conflict.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay expressing your ideas about judging books by their covers. Daisy Miller suffers from being judged unfairly by prudes and snobs. Express you opinion about similar things happening today.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing Daisy's disinterest in the antiquities of Chillon Castle to a modern American youth's attitude toward amusements and games before the electronic ear. In making the comparison use Daisy's attitude at Chillon to compare with a modern young person at a museum of old board games. Ideally this essay will have a humorous tone.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on competition in love. Use the verbal sparring between Giovanelli and Winterbourne as an example of how men compete for the attention of a woman. In your essay suggest how Winterbourne might have done a better job of courting Daisy.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)