|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mystery of the novel?
2. What theme of the novel runs through much of Henry James' novels?
3. How does Daisy react to his departure news?
4. Under what pretense does Daisy not want him to come to Rome?
5. What does Daisy Miller tell Winterbourne about her trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do even the women of this era accept the double standard of the sexes?
2. What is another clue Winterbourne seems to miss that Daisy is interested in him?
3. What is the contradiction in Daisy among the Americans?
4. Describe briefly how Daisy enjoys creating a fuss.
5. What is it in Daisy's conversation that Winterbourne misses that should have told him how Daisy is feeling about him?
6. Describe how one of the two main characters is introduced at the beginning of the novel.
7. How does Winterbourne miss a third clue about Daisy's attraction to him?
8. What is Mrs. Costello's admonition to her nephew about Daisy?
9. Describe the main conflict of the novel.
10. What shows Daisy's awareness of the American expatriates' snobbishness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the growth and change in America after the Civil War (1861-1865) which saw people like the Millers become quite wealthy through industry and become world travelers. Your essay should discuss the American spirit and the American dream that influenced its growth and development.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the irony of Mrs. Costello's objection to Daisy's seeing Italian men. Although James does not comment on it, there is an irony that Mrs. Costello has an Italian last name. Discuss how people often condemn in otherw what they accept in themselves.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on standing up for what you believe. Daisy defies social convention and berates Winterbourne for not standing up for her. What is the value of taking a stand and remaining true to that position? Discuss what is important to support and what does not really matter.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)