|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Daisy seem to Winterbourne during the trip?
2. What seems to disappoint Daisy?
3. What habit of Randolph's is a great worry to his mother and Daisy?
4. How does Daisy speak to her mother, the servant, and perfect strangers?
5. What do the Millers do with Eugenio that the Europeans do not understand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to be a flirtatious pastime of Daisy's?
2. What shows Daisy's awareness of the American expatriates' snobbishness?
3. How do even the women of this era accept the double standard of the sexes?
4. What is the irony of Mrs. Costello's nieces in America?
5. Describe the point at which Daisy and Winterbourne come into conflict.
6. How does Winterbourne miss a third clue about Daisy's attraction to him?
7. How does Giovanelli attempt to warn off Winterbourne who is walking toward him and Daisy?
8. How does James show that Daisy is not romantically interested in Giovanelli?
9. What is Winterbourne's ulterior motive in going with Daisy to meet Giovanelli?
10. What is the contradiction in Daisy among the Americans?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the differences in European social order and the more democratic social order of the USA. Discuss the idea of social classes and give your opinion about such structure.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Henry James as a storyteller. State your opinion about his ability to hold the interest of the reader. Include the literary devices he uses and how well you think he manages to do that.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on competition in love. Use the verbal sparring between Giovanelli and Winterbourne as an example of how men compete for the attention of a woman. In your essay suggest how Winterbourne might have done a better job of courting Daisy.
This section contains 1,392 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)