|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Winterbourne feel about the sail to the castle?
2. How does Eugenio react on hearing that Daisy is going to Chillon Castle with Winterbourne?
3. Where does Daisy's brother say his father is?
4. How much time passes between Winterbourne's first meeting Daisy and their trip to the castle?
5. What does Winterbourne conclude when he thinks he can spend time alone with Daisy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shows Daisy's awareness of the American expatriates' snobbishness?
2. What is another clue Winterbourne seems to miss that Daisy is interested in him?
3. What makes Winterbourne so proud on the trip to Chillon?
4. What is the basis on which the questions of Daisy's innocence is judged?
5. What is Mrs. Costello's admonition to her nephew about Daisy?
6. Explain Winterbourne's attraction to Daisy.
7. What shows the ineptitude of Mrs. Miller as a mother?
8. What is it that Daisy does that causes so much gossip among the Americans?
9. What is it in Daisy's conversation that Winterbourne misses that should have told him how Daisy is feeling about him?
10. Is there any indication in the first book that Winterbourne is concerned about Daisy's reputation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the irony of Mrs. Costello's objection to Daisy's seeing Italian men. Although James does not comment on it, there is an irony that Mrs. Costello has an Italian last name. Discuss how people often condemn in otherw what they accept in themselves.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on competition in love. Use the verbal sparring between Giovanelli and Winterbourne as an example of how men compete for the attention of a woman. In your essay suggest how Winterbourne might have done a better job of courting Daisy.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay expressing your opinion as to whether double standards between the sexes still exist. In your essay discuss such things as unwed mothers, unequal pay for equal work, and excluding women from certain male sports.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)