|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the opinion of the locals and certain hotel guests about the Millers?
2. What does Miss Featherstone ask Daisy about Americans?
3. What is a central clash in the novel?
4. How does Eugenio react on hearing that Daisy is going to Chillon Castle with Winterbourne?
5. What feeling does Winterbourne have as he watches Daisy descend the stairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Winterbourne so proud on the trip to Chillon?
2. What behavior on the part of the Millers accentuates the European-American conflict?
3. What is it in Daisy's conversation that Winterbourne misses that should have told him how Daisy is feeling about him?
4. What is the contradiction in Daisy among the Americans?
5. What shows Daisy's awareness of the American expatriates' snobbishness?
6. How does Winterbourne miss a third clue about Daisy's attraction to him?
7. What shows the ineptitude of Mrs. Miller as a mother?
8. What are the questions James raises about Daisy Miller?
9. How does Miller set up a theme of tension between the Americans and the Europeans?
10. What is the overall objection to the Miller family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay expressing your opinion as to whether double standards between the sexes still exist. In your essay discuss such things as unwed mothers, unequal pay for equal work, and excluding women from certain male sports.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the value of preserving antiquities. List in your essay the reasons preserving architecture and artifacts have an important role to play in human understanding of our history.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the modern social distinction of money. Use the example of a girl or boy from a wealthy family falling in love with someone from a middle income family. Discuss how such situations may play out.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)