|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daisy ask Winterbourne if he would do?
2. Why do they meet where he is waiting?
3. How does Eugenio react on hearing that Daisy is going to Chillon Castle with Winterbourne?
4. What does Daisy say her mother doesn't like?
5. Who does Winterbourne meet outside the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the main conflict of the novel.
2. What are the questions James raises about Daisy Miller?
3. Explain Winterbourne's attraction to Daisy.
4. What is Winterbourne's self-image on the trip?
5. What is it that Daisy does that causes so much gossip among the Americans?
6. Describe briefly how Daisy enjoys creating a fuss.
7. What shows Daisy's awareness of the American expatriates' snobbishness?
8. What does Winterbourne observe about Daisy and her mother?
9. What is the overall objection to the Miller family?
10. How do even the women of this era accept the double standard of the sexes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the value of preserving antiquities. List in your essay the reasons preserving architecture and artifacts have an important role to play in human understanding of our history.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay expressing your opinion as to whether double standards between the sexes still exist. In your essay discuss such things as unwed mothers, unequal pay for equal work, and excluding women from certain male sports.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Daisy to the Cindy Lauper song, Girls Just Want to Have Fun. In your essay show how Henry James' Daisy Miller foreshadows a much less restrictive future for young American women.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)