|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daisy accuse Winterbourne of?
2. How does Daisy want to go?
3. What habit does Daisy have that is different from European girls?
4. What circumstance about Winterbourne does Mrs. Costello think makes him naive about girls like Daisy?
5. What does Winterbourne say his function is for the trip to Chillon Castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the Miller family behaviors that appear objectionable to the American expatriates?
2. What is Mrs. Costello's admonition to her nephew about Daisy?
3. Describe briefly how Daisy enjoys creating a fuss.
4. What is the irony of Mrs. Costello's nieces in America?
5. Describe the main conflict of the novel.
6. What is the overall objection to the Miller family?
7. What makes Winterbourne so proud on the trip to Chillon?
8. What does Winterbourne observe about Daisy and her mother?
9. What is the basis on which the questions of Daisy's innocence is judged?
10. What are the questions James raises about Daisy Miller?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the differences in European social order and the more democratic social order of the USA. Discuss the idea of social classes and give your opinion about such structure.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about style versus fads. Use Daisy Miller as an example of a young woman who has excellent fashion tastes for her day. Give your opinion about good fashion today as opposed to fad dressing and poor taste.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on competition in love. Use the verbal sparring between Giovanelli and Winterbourne as an example of how men compete for the attention of a woman. In your essay suggest how Winterbourne might have done a better job of courting Daisy.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)