|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daisy say she hopes Winterbourne feels as she goes inside with her mother?
2. Under other circumstances, what might make Daisy acceptable to European society?
3. What does Daisy Miller tell Winterbourne about her trip?
4. Who does Mrs. Costello say would never behave the way Daisy does?
5. Where does Daisy's brother say his father is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shows the ineptitude of Mrs. Miller as a mother?
2. Explain Winterbourne's first impression of Daisy.
3. What is Mrs. Costello's admonition to her nephew about Daisy?
4. What behavior on the part of the Millers accentuates the European-American conflict?
5. How do even the women of this era accept the double standard of the sexes?
6. How does Winterbourne miss a third clue about Daisy's attraction to him?
7. What is the overall objection to the Miller family?
8. Relate an example of Daisy's stopping before going too far.
9. What are some of the Miller family behaviors that appear objectionable to the American expatriates?
10. What is the irony of Mrs. Costello's nieces in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the growth and change in America after the Civil War (1861-1865) which saw people like the Millers become quite wealthy through industry and become world travelers. Your essay should discuss the American spirit and the American dream that influenced its growth and development.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the modern social distinction of money. Use the example of a girl or boy from a wealthy family falling in love with someone from a middle income family. Discuss how such situations may play out.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay expressing your opinion as to whether double standards between the sexes still exist. In your essay discuss such things as unwed mothers, unequal pay for equal work, and excluding women from certain male sports.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)