Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Daisy seem to Winterbourne during the trip?
2. What did a lady tell Mrs. Miller about local castles?
3. What is a young American named Winterbourne doing in Vevey, Switzerland?
4. Under other circumstances, what might make Daisy acceptable to European society?
5. What do the Millers do with Eugenio that the Europeans do not understand?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winterbourne's attempt at a joke turn out badly?
2. How does the courier Eugenio react to the suggestion that Daisy go to the Chillon Castle with Winterbourne?
3. How does Winterbourne respond to Mrs. Costello?
4. What is the contradiction in Daisy among the Americans?
5. What shows Daisy's awareness of the American expatriates' snobbishness?
6. What does Daisy say she is about to do that scandalizes the Americans at Mrs. Walker's house?
7. How does Mrs. Miller show her own naivete regarding Giovanelli?
8. What does Mrs. Walker say Daisy has done that is unacceptable?
9. What makes Winterbourne so proud on the trip to Chillon?
10. Describe briefly how Daisy enjoys creating a fuss.
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay entitled, I Think Daisy Miller Would Fit in Well Today. What would she be like today? How would she dress? How would she be accepted by society today? Write about Daisy as a forerunner of the modern American woman.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on standing up for what you believe. Daisy defies social convention and berates Winterbourne for not standing up for her. What is the value of taking a stand and remaining true to that position? Discuss what is important to support and what does not really matter.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on competition in love. Use the verbal sparring between Giovanelli and Winterbourne as an example of how men compete for the attention of a woman. In your essay suggest how Winterbourne might have done a better job of courting Daisy.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)