|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daisy realize from Winterbourne's excuses about his aunt?
2. Given the chance to row off in the night with Winterbourne, what action indicates Daisy might not be as loose as people think?
3. What are Americans seen as failing to do?
4. What does Daisy say about his grin?
5. What in Daisy's action indicates that she does not anticipate doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the overall objection to the Miller family?
2. What seems to be a flirtatious pastime of Daisy's?
3. What is the contradiction in Daisy among the Americans?
4. How do even the women of this era accept the double standard of the sexes?
5. How does Winterbourne miss a third clue about Daisy's attraction to him?
6. How does Miller set up a theme of tension between the Americans and the Europeans?
7. Describe Daisy's coquettish behavior with Winterbourne on the way to Chillon.
8. What are the questions James raises about Daisy Miller?
9. What shows the ineptitude of Mrs. Miller as a mother?
10. Explain Winterbourne's first impression of Daisy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the value of preserving antiquities. List in your essay the reasons preserving architecture and artifacts have an important role to play in human understanding of our history.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the generation gap. In Daisy's day, Mrs. Miller is a perfect example of an older woman completely befuddled by the behavior of her children. Discuss the generation gap as something that has always existed and why you think that is.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Daisy's disinterest in the antiquities of Chillon Castle to a modern American youth's attitude toward amusements and games before the electronic ear. In making the comparison use Daisy's attitude at Chillon to compare with a modern young person at a museum of old board games. Ideally this essay will have a humorous tone.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)