|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Costello say would never behave the way Daisy does?
2. How does Daisy speak to her mother, the servant, and perfect strangers?
3. How does Mrs. Costello epitomize the double standard of the day when her nephew tells her about his outing with Daisy?
4. What does Eugenio suggest to Daisy?
5. What about Daisy is most intriguing to Winterbourne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Mrs. Costello's nieces in America?
2. Describe Daisy's coquettish behavior with Winterbourne on the way to Chillon.
3. Describe briefly how Daisy enjoys creating a fuss.
4. What behavior on the part of the Millers accentuates the European-American conflict?
5. Explain Winterbourne's attraction to Daisy.
6. What are the questions James raises about Daisy Miller?
7. What is it in Daisy's conversation that Winterbourne misses that should have told him how Daisy is feeling about him?
8. What is the basis on which the questions of Daisy's innocence is judged?
9. What is the contradiction in Daisy among the Americans?
10. What shows Daisy's awareness of the American expatriates' snobbishness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about style versus fads. Use Daisy Miller as an example of a young woman who has excellent fashion tastes for her day. Give your opinion about good fashion today as opposed to fad dressing and poor taste.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on competition in love. Use the verbal sparring between Giovanelli and Winterbourne as an example of how men compete for the attention of a woman. In your essay suggest how Winterbourne might have done a better job of courting Daisy.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Daisy's disinterest in the antiquities of Chillon Castle to a modern American youth's attitude toward amusements and games before the electronic ear. In making the comparison use Daisy's attitude at Chillon to compare with a modern young person at a museum of old board games. Ideally this essay will have a humorous tone.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)