|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Daisy's brother's addiction?
2. How does Mrs. Costello see Daisy?
3. How does Daisy seem to Winterbourne during the trip?
4. What does Winterbourne offer to do to show his good intentions?
5. What does Daisy suspect about Winterbourne's return to Geneva?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Winterbourne observe about Daisy and her mother?
2. What is another clue Winterbourne seems to miss that Daisy is interested in him?
3. Describe the main conflict of the novel.
4. What shows Daisy's awareness of the American expatriates' snobbishness?
5. What are the questions James raises about Daisy Miller?
6. Explain Winterbourne's first impression of Daisy.
7. Relate an example of Daisy's stopping before going too far.
8. What behavior on the part of the Millers accentuates the European-American conflict?
9. Explain Winterbourne's attraction to Daisy.
10. What is the contradiction in Daisy among the Americans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the growth and change in America after the Civil War (1861-1865) which saw people like the Millers become quite wealthy through industry and become world travelers. Your essay should discuss the American spirit and the American dream that influenced its growth and development.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Henry James as a storyteller. State your opinion about his ability to hold the interest of the reader. Include the literary devices he uses and how well you think he manages to do that.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on writing. Using Henry James as an example, discuss your thoughts on the contribution writers have made toward civilization. Speculate in your essay what the world would be like without the great writing down through the ages.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)