|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time is it when Daisy accepts the invitation to go for a row?
2. What does Daisy say she has always had?
3. How does Mrs. Costello epitomize the double standard of the day when her nephew tells her about his outing with Daisy?
4. What does Winterbourne say he was doing while not talking with Daisy?
5. What does Daisy say her mother doesn't like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Mrs. Costello's nieces in America?
2. How does Winterbourne miss a third clue about Daisy's attraction to him?
3. What are the questions James raises about Daisy Miller?
4. What is the contradiction in Daisy among the Americans?
5. Describe Daisy's coquettish behavior with Winterbourne on the way to Chillon.
6. What makes Winterbourne so proud on the trip to Chillon?
7. How do even the women of this era accept the double standard of the sexes?
8. What seems to be a flirtatious pastime of Daisy's?
9. Briefly describe the double standard about morality implied in the novel.
10. What is the overall objection to the Miller family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay expressing your ideas about judging books by their covers. Daisy Miller suffers from being judged unfairly by prudes and snobs. Express you opinion about similar things happening today.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the modern social distinction of money. Use the example of a girl or boy from a wealthy family falling in love with someone from a middle income family. Discuss how such situations may play out.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on writing. Using Henry James as an example, discuss your thoughts on the contribution writers have made toward civilization. Speculate in your essay what the world would be like without the great writing down through the ages.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)