|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Daisy seem to Winterbourne during the trip?
2. What did a lady tell Mrs. Miller about local castles?
3. What is a young American named Winterbourne doing in Vevey, Switzerland?
4. Under other circumstances, what might make Daisy acceptable to European society?
5. What do the Millers do with Eugenio that the Europeans do not understand?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winterbourne's attempt at a joke turn out badly?
2. How does the courier Eugenio react to the suggestion that Daisy go to the Chillon Castle with Winterbourne?
3. How does Winterbourne respond to Mrs. Costello?
4. What is the contradiction in Daisy among the Americans?
5. What shows Daisy's awareness of the American expatriates' snobbishness?
6. What does Daisy say she is about to do that scandalizes the Americans at Mrs. Walker's house?
7. How does Mrs. Miller show her own naivete regarding Giovanelli?
8. What does Mrs. Walker say Daisy has done that is unacceptable?
9. What makes Winterbourne so proud on the trip to Chillon?
10. Describe briefly how Daisy enjoys creating a fuss.
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay expressing your opinion as to whether double standards between the sexes still exist. In your essay discuss such things as unwed mothers, unequal pay for equal work, and excluding women from certain male sports.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the irony of Mrs. Costello's objection to Daisy's seeing Italian men. Although James does not comment on it, there is an irony that Mrs. Costello has an Italian last name. Discuss how people often condemn in otherw what they accept in themselves.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about understanding other people. As an example, Winterbourne never seems to catch on to Daisy's teasing. Your essay should discuss the importance of learning other people's personalities in order to build good relationships.
This section contains 1,421 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)