Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Daisy seem to Winterbourne during the trip?
2. What did a lady tell Mrs. Miller about local castles?
3. What is a young American named Winterbourne doing in Vevey, Switzerland?
4. Under other circumstances, what might make Daisy acceptable to European society?
5. What do the Millers do with Eugenio that the Europeans do not understand?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winterbourne's attempt at a joke turn out badly?
2. How does the courier Eugenio react to the suggestion that Daisy go to the Chillon Castle with Winterbourne?
3. How does Winterbourne respond to Mrs. Costello?
4. What is the contradiction in Daisy among the Americans?
5. What shows Daisy's awareness of the American expatriates' snobbishness?
6. What does Daisy say she is about to do that scandalizes the Americans at Mrs. Walker's house?
7. How does Mrs. Miller show her own naivete regarding Giovanelli?
8. What does Mrs. Walker say Daisy has done that is unacceptable?
9. What makes Winterbourne so proud on the trip to Chillon?
10. Describe briefly how Daisy enjoys creating a fuss.
Write an essay about the generation gap. In Daisy's day, Mrs. Miller is a perfect example of an older woman completely befuddled by the behavior of her children. Discuss the generation gap as something that has always existed and why you think that is.
Write an essay on competition in love. Use the verbal sparring between Giovanelli and Winterbourne as an example of how men compete for the attention of a woman. In your essay suggest how Winterbourne might have done a better job of courting Daisy.
Write an essay about means of travel. Discuss (although it is not mentioned per se in the novella) how the Millers came from America and the various means of transportation mentioned in the book. Your essay should then compare travel in the 19th Century to 21st Century travel.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)