|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bargain does Daisy strike to stop teasing Winterbourne?
2. What did a lady tell Mrs. Miller about local castles?
3. What does Daisy say about her brother?
4. What does Winterbourne say his function is for the trip to Chillon Castle?
5. What appears to be a double standard involving Winterbourne and his judgment of Daisy's morals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how one of the two main characters is introduced at the beginning of the novel.
2. Explain Winterbourne's first impression of Daisy.
3. What are the questions James raises about Daisy Miller?
4. Describe Daisy's coquettish behavior with Winterbourne on the way to Chillon.
5. Explain Winterbourne's attraction to Daisy.
6. Describe briefly how Daisy enjoys creating a fuss.
7. What is it that Daisy does that causes so much gossip among the Americans?
8. What shows Daisy's awareness of the American expatriates' snobbishness?
9. What shows the ineptitude of Mrs. Miller as a mother?
10. How does Miller set up a theme of tension between the Americans and the Europeans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the value of preserving antiquities. List in your essay the reasons preserving architecture and artifacts have an important role to play in human understanding of our history.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Henry James as a storyteller. State your opinion about his ability to hold the interest of the reader. Include the literary devices he uses and how well you think he manages to do that.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay entitled Why I Would Like to Visit Italy. Using some of the sites Daisy visits in Rome, give your reasons for wanting to visit there. Your essay should also mention Italian fashion and how it has influenced fashion in the USA.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)