|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Winterbourne offer his arm to Daisy?
2. How does Eugenio react on hearing that Daisy is going to Chillon Castle with Winterbourne?
3. What shocks Mrs. Costello when Winterbourne tells her where he was all afternoon?
4. What was Mrs. Miller unable to do?
5. How does Daisy react to his departure news?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Winterbourne so proud on the trip to Chillon?
2. In what way does Daisy turn the tables on Winterbourne when he warns her about Giovanelli?
3. How does Mrs. Walker's snubbing of Daisy affect her?
4. What is Winterbourne's self-image on the trip?
5. How does James show that Daisy is not romantically interested in Giovanelli?
6. How does Winterbourne lecture Daisy at the Palace of the Caesars?
7. How does Henry James satirize Americans in the scene at Mrs. Walker's afternoon gathering?
8. How do even the women of this era accept the double standard of the sexes?
9. What is Winterbourne's ulterior motive in going with Daisy to meet Giovanelli?
10. What is the basis on which the questions of Daisy's innocence is judged?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing Daisy to the Cindy Lauper song, Girls Just Want to Have Fun. In your essay show how Henry James' Daisy Miller foreshadows a much less restrictive future for young American women.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing Daisy's disinterest in the antiquities of Chillon Castle to a modern American youth's attitude toward amusements and games before the electronic ear. In making the comparison use Daisy's attitude at Chillon to compare with a modern young person at a museum of old board games. Ideally this essay will have a humorous tone.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay entitled Why I Would Like to Visit Italy. Using some of the sites Daisy visits in Rome, give your reasons for wanting to visit there. Your essay should also mention Italian fashion and how it has influenced fashion in the USA.
This section contains 1,323 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)