|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion prevents Winterbourne from going directly to see Daisy in Rome?
2. What disease is believed to be cause by night air?
(d) heart failure
3. What does Winterbourne do instead of trying to let Daisy know his true feelings?
(a) ignores her completely
(b) obsesses over her relationship with the other man
(c) insists that she apologize to Mrs. Walker
(d) brushes her off to talk with Giovanelli
4. What is the symbolism of the Colosseum?
(a) antiquity and promise
(b) grandeur and happiness
(c) atrocious violence in the past
(d) abandonment and destruction
5. What indicates that Winterbourne is actually eager to see Daisy?
(a) he looks her up first when he gets to Rome
(b) he tries to appear eager to please Daisy
(c) he doesn't talk about her with Mrs. Costello
(d) he skipped Bologna and Florence on his way to Rome
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Walker want Daisy to do?
2. What does Mrs. Costello suggest Daisy might allow herself to do?
3. What does Daisy say she intends to do?
4. At what time does Winterbourne run into Daisy and Giovanelli again at the Colosseum a week later?
5. What does the American community use to punish non-conformists?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Miller show her own naivete regarding Giovanelli?
2. Describe Daisy's coquettish behavior that Winterbourne takes the wrong way.
3. How do the American women try to prevent Daisy from going to meet Giovanelli?
4. What confirmation about Daisy's innocence does Winterbourne finally receive?
5. What is Winterbourne's ulterior motive in going with Daisy to meet Giovanelli?
6. How do Winterbourne's and Daisy's meetings taper off?
7. What happens in the winter of the same year Winterbourne met Daisy?
8. How does James show that Daisy is not romantically interested in Giovanelli?
9. How does Daisy astonish Mrs. Walker that afternoon in her house?
10. Describe the coincidental meeting between Winterbourne and Daisy.
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)