|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Daisy say is a disagreeable thing for Winterbourne today?
(a) that she has no culture
(b) that she is star struck
(c) that she and Giovanelli are in love
(d) that she has no fashion sense
2. What indicates that Winterbourne is actually eager to see Daisy?
(a) he looks her up first when he gets to Rome
(b) he doesn't talk about her with Mrs. Costello
(c) he skipped Bologna and Florence on his way to Rome
(d) he tries to appear eager to please Daisy
3. After the message is delivered to Winterbourne, what happens to Daisy?
(a) she recuperates
(b) she returns to America
(c) she dies
(d) she marries Giovanelli
4. What does Winterbourne do instead of trying to let Daisy know his true feelings?
(a) ignores her completely
(b) insists that she apologize to Mrs. Walker
(c) obsesses over her relationship with the other man
(d) brushes her off to talk with Giovanelli
5. Winterbourne makes a conclusion that Daisy is not an innocent child but a woman with what attribute?
(a) disregard for social propriety
(b) willingness to conform to social propriety
(c) care about what others think of her
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winterbourne agree that Daisy should do?
2. What is Daisy doing that makes Mrs. Walker say she has disgraced herself?
3. What is the irony of Mrs. Costello?
4. More so in Rome, what is the central theme of the novel?
5. What does the American community use to punish non-conformists?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Winterbourne's ulterior motive in going with Daisy to meet Giovanelli?
2. Seeing Daisy with Giovanelli, how does he feel about her flirtation?
3. How does Winterbourne lecture Daisy at the Palace of the Caesars?
4. How does Winterbourne respond to Mrs. Costello?
5. How does Daisy astonish Mrs. Walker that afternoon in her house?
6. How does Mrs. Miller show her own naivete regarding Giovanelli?
7. Describe the point at which Daisy and Winterbourne come into conflict.
8. What shows the determination of Mrs. Walker to save the reckless American girl?
9. In what way does Daisy turn the tables on Winterbourne when he warns her about Giovanelli?
10. How does the news about Daisy alter Winterbourne's plans after he arrives in Rome?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)