|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Winterbourne goes looking for Daisy and Giovanelli in the park, what does Daisy do when she spots him?
(a) hides herself and Giovanelli behind her parasol
(b) screams at Winterbourne to go away
(c) gets Giovanelli to hire a carriage to take them away
(d) leads Giovanelli into a crowd where they get lost
2. How does Daisy respond to all the advice?
(a) she throwns a temper tantrum
(b) she meekly gets into the carriage
(c) she breaks down sobbing
(d) she walks away with Giovanelli
3. More so in Rome, what is the central theme of the novel?
(a) outrageous behavior
(c) appearance versus reality
(d) the mystery of Daisy
4. What is the symbolism of the Colosseum?
(a) atrocious violence in the past
(b) antiquity and promise
(c) abandonment and destruction
(d) grandeur and happiness
5. What does Daisy say she intends to do?
(a) to look for new men
(b) to stroll and socialize with Mr. Giovanelli
(c) to sit in the garden and read
(d) to find a local bar
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Walker react to Daisy's announcement?
2. What is the ironic double standard at the end of the novel?
3. What resolve does Winterbourne make about Daisy's meeting with Giovanelli?
4. How do people like Mrs. Costello often make judgments of others?
5. What news does Mrs. Costello have for her nephew?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does James show that Daisy is not romantically interested in Giovanelli?
2. Describe the point at which Daisy and Winterbourne come into conflict.
3. Seeing Daisy with Giovanelli, how does he feel about her flirtation?
4. How does Winterbourne begin to size up Giovanelli?
5. What confirmation about Daisy's innocence does Winterbourne finally receive?
6. Describe the information Winterbourne receives about Daisy from Mrs. Walker.
7. Describe Daisy's coquettish behavior that Winterbourne takes the wrong way.
8. How does the news about Daisy alter Winterbourne's plans after he arrives in Rome?
9. How does Mrs. Walker's snubbing of Daisy affect her?
10. What shows the determination of Mrs. Walker to save the reckless American girl?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)