|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Miller suppose Daisy's situation is?
(a) carefree and able to take care of herself
(b) the innocent victim of gossip
(c) perfectly natural for any young girl
(d) engaged and thus not in any danger
2. What rude comment does Randolph make to Mrs. Walker?
(a) that his father has more money than she does
(b) that she has no sweets for him to eat
(c) that her dress looks frumpy
(d) that their hotel rooms are bigger than hers
3. Figuratively, what does Winterbourne choose to do with Daisy that night at the Colosseum?
(a) rescue her from danger
(b) teach her about impropriety
(c) throw her to the lions
(d) give her to Caesar
4. What is a further danger at night in the Colosseum?
(b) the police
5. What does Winterbourne do instead of trying to let Daisy know his true feelings?
(a) brushes her off to talk with Giovanelli
(b) ignores her completely
(c) obsesses over her relationship with the other man
(d) insists that she apologize to Mrs. Walker
Short Answer Questions
1. At what point does Winterbourne begin to doubt Daisy's innocence?
2. What is it that Winterbourne no longer believes in about Daisy?
3. What does Winterbourne scold Daisy about?
4. What is the irony of the Americans disapproving of the outsiders?
5. Who discusses Daisy's exploits but without the disapproving tone of Mrs. Costello?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winterbourne respond to Mrs. Costello?
2. Describe the coincidental meeting between Winterbourne and Daisy.
3. What is the admonition Winterbourne receives from his aunt?
4. How does Henry James satirize Americans in the scene at Mrs. Walker's afternoon gathering?
5. To solve the problem of Daisy's going alone, how does Winterbourne provide an answer?
6. Describe Daisy's coquettish behavior that Winterbourne takes the wrong way.
7. What does Mrs. Walker say Daisy has done that is unacceptable?
8. What happens in the winter of the same year Winterbourne met Daisy?
9. How do the American women try to prevent Daisy from going to meet Giovanelli?
10. What shows the determination of Mrs. Walker to save the reckless American girl?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)