|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Daisy realize from Winterbourne's excuses about his aunt?
(a) that he doesn't really have an aunt in the hotel
(b) that he has not spoken to his aunt
(c) that she doesn't want to meet Daisy
(d) that she is very ill
2. What secretly pleases Winterbourne?
(a) that no men try to speak to her
(b) that she makes such a spectacle of herself
(c) that people look at how pretty she is
(d) that she doesn't look at any men
3. What does Daisy accuse her mother of doing?
(a) making a scene
(b) poking around
(c) looking for gentlemen
(d) hiding from Randolph
4. What do the Millers do with Eugenio that the Europeans do not understand?
(a) never take his advice
(b) treat him as family
(c) let him stay in their hotel room
(d) pay him too much
5. What theme of the novel runs through much of Henry James' novels?
(a) age against youth
(b) war and peace
(c) money and society
(d) tension between the Americans and the Europeans
Short Answer Questions
1. What feeling does Winterbourne have as he watches Daisy descend the stairs?
2. What is Winterbourne's impression of himself?
3. What habit does Daisy have that is different from European girls?
4. Why do they meet where he is waiting?
5. How does Winterbourne want to travel to the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Winterbourne observe about Daisy and her mother?
2. Explain Winterbourne's first impression of Daisy.
3. How does the courier Eugenio react to the suggestion that Daisy go to the Chillon Castle with Winterbourne?
4. What is the contradiction in Daisy among the Americans?
5. How does Winterbourne miss a third clue about Daisy's attraction to him?
6. What is Mrs. Costello's admonition to her nephew about Daisy?
7. What is Winterbourne's self-image on the trip?
8. What is it that Daisy does that causes so much gossip among the Americans?
9. What is it in Daisy's conversation that Winterbourne misses that should have told him how Daisy is feeling about him?
10. Describe Daisy's coquettish behavior with Winterbourne on the way to Chillon.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)