|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Winterbourne not visit his aunt in the hotel?
(a) she is ill and not receiving visitors
(b) she has gone unexpectedly to Rome
(c) she is out shopping
(d) she has a gentleman caller
2. What does Winterbourne say he was doing while not talking with Daisy?
(a) looking for a boat to hire
(b) trying to think of something interesting to say
(c) checking to see when the next steamer leaves for Chillon
(d) having a pleasant conversation with her mother
3. How long does Daisy say Winterbourne has not spoken to her?
(a) an hour and a half
(b) half an hour
(c) twenty minutes
(d) an hour
4. What is Winterbourne's impression of himself?
(a) waiting for her to speak first
(b) interested in the direction of the castle
(c) grinning from ear to ear
(d) embarrassed to be with her
5. Why does Daisy think they send all the pretty dresses from France to America?
(a) there are no dress shops in Europe
(b) the ones in Europe are frightful
(c) they don't wear dresses in Europe
(d) only Americans can afford them
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Costello epitomize the double standard of the day when her nephew tells her about his outing with Daisy?
2. What is Daisy's response when Eugenio asks if she intends to go alone?
3. What does the brother say Daisy's real name is?
4. What is Winterbourne's reason for being attracted to Daisy?
5. What does Miss Featherstone ask Daisy about Americans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the Miller family behaviors that appear objectionable to the American expatriates?
2. Is there any indication in the first book that Winterbourne is concerned about Daisy's reputation?
3. What is Winterbourne's self-image on the trip?
4. Explain Winterbourne's first impression of Daisy.
5. What shows the ineptitude of Mrs. Miller as a mother?
6. What is the overall objection to the Miller family?
7. What is Mrs. Costello's admonition to her nephew about Daisy?
8. What is it that Daisy does that causes so much gossip among the Americans?
9. Describe Daisy's coquettish behavior with Winterbourne on the way to Chillon.
10. Describe briefly how Daisy enjoys creating a fuss.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)