|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Winterbourne's suggestion to Daisy?
(a) that they take a train trip to Geneva
(b) that they entertain her younger brother
(c) that they visit the Chillon Castle together
(d) that they have dinner together that evening
2. How does Mrs. Costello see Daisy?
(a) as arrogant
(b) as coarse and a flirt
(c) as stupid and unstylish
(d) as a gold digger
3. What does the brother say Daisy's real name is?
(a) Marie S. Miller
(b) Elizabeth R. Miller
(c) Dorothy G. Miller
(d) Annie P. Miller
4. Why do they meet where he is waiting?
(a) Daisy made the arrangement
(b) Randolph hates the main hall
(c) Daisy's mother is in the back garden
(d) he cannot go up to her room
5. What is Winterbourne's reason for being attracted to Daisy?
(a) she is obviously a rich girl
(b) she is wonderfully pretty
(c) she is an excellent conversationalist
(d) she has no morals whatsoever
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Costello say about meeting Daisy Miller?
2. How does Winterbourne want to travel to the castle?
3. What does Daisy represent in the novel?
4. What in Daisy's action indicates that she does not anticipate doing?
5. What is Daisy's response when Eugenio asks if she intends to go alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the main conflict of the novel.
2. What is it that Daisy does that causes so much gossip among the Americans?
3. How does the courier Eugenio react to the suggestion that Daisy go to the Chillon Castle with Winterbourne?
4. Briefly describe the double standard about morality implied in the novel.
5. Explain Winterbourne's attraction to Daisy.
6. What behavior on the part of the Millers accentuates the European-American conflict?
7. What seems to be a flirtatious pastime of Daisy's?
8. Explain Winterbourne's first impression of Daisy.
9. Is there any indication in the first book that Winterbourne is concerned about Daisy's reputation?
10. Describe briefly how Daisy enjoys creating a fuss.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)