|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Daisy say she hopes Winterbourne feels as she goes inside with her mother?
(a) impatience, grief, or confusion
(b) disappointed, or disgusted, or something
(c) relieved, happy, or over joyed
(d) angry, insulted, or back handed
2. Where does Daisy's brother say his father is?
(a) upstairs in their hotel room
(b) in California, USA
(c) doing buisness in Rome
(d) a better place than Europe
3. What has Mrs. Costello done after seeing the Millers in the hotel?
(a) sent them an invitation to tea
(b) had a migraine headache
(c) introduced herself
(d) kept out of their way
4. What are all the people doing as they pass out of the great hall?
(a) minding their own business
(b) trying to get out the door
(c) looking very hard
(d) talking about the weather
5. Under other circumstances, what might make Daisy acceptable to European society?
(a) her financial situation and the fact that she dresses in perfection
(b) her education and the fact that she is beautiful
(c) her good taste in clothes and her descrition about men
(d) her willingness to give generously and her appearance
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Daisy is most intriguing to Winterbourne?
2. What does Daisy say she has always had?
3. What is the opinion of the locals and certain hotel guests about the Millers?
4. What does Eugenio suggest to Daisy?
5. Why do Mrs. Costello and the Europeans not need physical proof of Daisy's indiscretions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Relate an example of Daisy's stopping before going too far.
2. How does Miller set up a theme of tension between the Americans and the Europeans?
3. What is the irony of Mrs. Costello's nieces in America?
4. What shows Daisy's awareness of the American expatriates' snobbishness?
5. Describe briefly how Daisy enjoys creating a fuss.
6. Briefly describe the double standard about morality implied in the novel.
7. What are the questions James raises about Daisy Miller?
8. What is the overall objection to the Miller family?
9. What makes Winterbourne so proud on the trip to Chillon?
10. How does Winterbourne miss a third clue about Daisy's attraction to him?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)