|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Daisy dressed as she comes down the stairs?
(a) in a revealing sun dress
(b) in jeans and a T-shirt
(c) in a pair of pants and a blouse
(d) in an elegant traveling costume
2. What does Daisy Miller tell Winterbourne about her trip?
(a) the different kinds of weather she has seen
(b) all the bad experiences she has had
(c) all the good shopping since being in Europe
(d) the problem she has meeting men
3. In Mrs. Costello's opinion, what may well-bred young ladies not do?
(a) wear the latest fashions
(b) travel with a courier
(c) consort with strange men without an escort
(d) speak before spoken to
4. What does Winterbourne say he was doing while not talking with Daisy?
(a) trying to think of something interesting to say
(b) looking for a boat to hire
(c) having a pleasant conversation with her mother
(d) checking to see when the next steamer leaves for Chillon
5. What habit of Randolph's is a great worry to his mother and Daisy?
(a) he talks too much
(b) he goes around breaking things
(c) he will only listen to the courier
(d) he doesn't sleep
Short Answer Questions
1. Under other circumstances, what might make Daisy acceptable to European society?
2. What did a lady tell Mrs. Miller about local castles?
3. What is Daisy's brother's addiction?
4. Who does Mrs. Costello say would never behave the way Daisy does?
5. Why does Vevey appear to be more relaxed in social values than in other parts of Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Winterbourne's self-image on the trip?
2. What is it in Daisy's conversation that Winterbourne misses that should have told him how Daisy is feeling about him?
3. What is another clue Winterbourne seems to miss that Daisy is interested in him?
4. What does Winterbourne observe about Daisy and her mother?
5. What are some of the Miller family behaviors that appear objectionable to the American expatriates?
6. What is the overall objection to the Miller family?
7. Briefly describe the double standard about morality implied in the novel.
8. Is there any indication in the first book that Winterbourne is concerned about Daisy's reputation?
9. How do even the women of this era accept the double standard of the sexes?
10. Describe briefly how Daisy enjoys creating a fuss.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)