|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Daisy think they send all the pretty dresses from France to America?
(a) there are no dress shops in Europe
(b) they don't wear dresses in Europe
(c) only Americans can afford them
(d) the ones in Europe are frightful
2. What shocks Mrs. Costello when Winterbourne tells her where he was all afternoon?
(a) that he was alone with Daisy
(b) that he nearly fell from the steamer
(c) that Mrs. Miller went with them on the steamer
(d) that the courier stayed out of sight
3. What is Winterbourne's suggestion to Daisy?
(a) that they entertain her younger brother
(b) that they have dinner together that evening
(c) that they take a train trip to Geneva
(d) that they visit the Chillon Castle together
4. What could Daisy not say when introducing Winterbourne to her mother?
(a) his full name
(b) how old he is
(c) how long she has known him
(d) where he is from
5. Who does Mrs. Costello say would never behave the way Daisy does?
(a) her granddaughters
(b) her friends' daughters
(c) Swiss girls
(d) French debutantes
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Daisy react to his departure news?
2. What is a central clash in the novel?
3. What about Daisy is most intriguing to Winterbourne?
4. Why does Winterbourne offer his arm to Daisy?
5. What do the Millers do with Eugenio that the Europeans do not understand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe briefly how Daisy enjoys creating a fuss.
2. What is it that Daisy does that causes so much gossip among the Americans?
3. Relate an example of Daisy's stopping before going too far.
4. What is the irony of Mrs. Costello's nieces in America?
5. What seems to be a flirtatious pastime of Daisy's?
6. Explain Winterbourne's first impression of Daisy.
7. How does the courier Eugenio react to the suggestion that Daisy go to the Chillon Castle with Winterbourne?
8. What is the contradiction in Daisy among the Americans?
9. What is the basis on which the questions of Daisy's innocence is judged?
10. What is another clue Winterbourne seems to miss that Daisy is interested in him?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)