|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Winterbourne's suggestion to Daisy?
(a) that they entertain her younger brother
(b) that they have dinner together that evening
(c) that they visit the Chillon Castle together
(d) that they take a train trip to Geneva
2. How does Henry James describe Mrs. Miller?
(a) hawk-like and narrow of forehead
(b) large and elegant
(c) overweight with a prominent nose
(d) small and spare with a wandering eye
3. How does Daisy speak to her mother, the servant, and perfect strangers?
(a) with a kind of sweetness
(b) with a very loud voice
(c) with a shocking bluntness
(d) with a lot of curiosity
4. What does Daisy accuse her mother of doing?
(a) looking for gentlemen
(b) poking around
(c) hiding from Randolph
(d) making a scene
5. What surprises Winterbourne during the discussion about Chillon with Daisy's mother?
(a) suggesting that Daisy should not go
(b) suggesting that she accompany them
(c) suggesting that Daisy go alone
(d) suggesting that Randolph go with them
Short Answer Questions
1. What theme of the novel runs through much of Henry James' novels?
2. Where does Daisy's brother say his father is?
3. What about Daisy is most intriguing to Winterbourne?
4. How does Mrs. Costello epitomize the double standard of the day when her nephew tells her about his outing with Daisy?
5. What does Daisy say about her brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Winterbourne's attraction to Daisy.
2. What are some of the Miller family behaviors that appear objectionable to the American expatriates?
3. Explain Winterbourne's first impression of Daisy.
4. How do even the women of this era accept the double standard of the sexes?
5. What is the basis on which the questions of Daisy's innocence is judged?
6. How does Miller set up a theme of tension between the Americans and the Europeans?
7. Briefly describe the double standard about morality implied in the novel.
8. What is another clue Winterbourne seems to miss that Daisy is interested in him?
9. What shows the ineptitude of Mrs. Miller as a mother?
10. How does Winterbourne miss a third clue about Daisy's attraction to him?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)