|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Daisy think they send all the pretty dresses from France to America?
(a) only Americans can afford them
(b) the ones in Europe are frightful
(c) they don't wear dresses in Europe
(d) there are no dress shops in Europe
2. What is a central clash in the novel?
(a) American versus European culture
(b) style versus garrishness
(c) men versus women
(d) youth versus age
3. What is Daisy's younger brother's name?
(a) Rudolph G. Miller
(b) Randolph C. Miller
(c) Rudolph C. Miller
(d) Randolph G. Miller
4. What was Mrs. Miller unable to do?
(a) get Eugenio to order tea
(b) put Randolph to bed
(c) straighten her shawl
(d) walk up the stairs
5. What is Winterbourne's impression of himself?
(a) interested in the direction of the castle
(b) grinning from ear to ear
(c) waiting for her to speak first
(d) embarrassed to be with her
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Americans seen as failing to do?
2. What does Daisy ask Winterbourne if he would do?
3. Who speaks from out of the shadows?
4. In Mrs. Costello's opinion, what may well-bred young ladies not do?
5. What does Daisy accuse Winterbourne of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the double standard about morality implied in the novel.
2. What are the questions James raises about Daisy Miller?
3. What are some of the Miller family behaviors that appear objectionable to the American expatriates?
4. What shows Daisy's awareness of the American expatriates' snobbishness?
5. What does Winterbourne observe about Daisy and her mother?
6. What is the contradiction in Daisy among the Americans?
7. What is it in Daisy's conversation that Winterbourne misses that should have told him how Daisy is feeling about him?
8. What is Winterbourne's self-image on the trip?
9. What seems to be a flirtatious pastime of Daisy's?
10. What is Mrs. Costello's admonition to her nephew about Daisy?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)