|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Costello see Daisy?
(a) as stupid and unstylish
(b) as a gold digger
(c) as coarse and a flirt
(d) as arrogant
2. What is Daisy's younger brother's name?
(a) Randolph C. Miller
(b) Randolph G. Miller
(c) Rudolph C. Miller
(d) Rudolph G. Miller
3. Where does Winterbourne wait for Daisy to join him for the trip to the castle?
(a) in the hotel dining room
(b) the garden in back of the hotel
(c) the large hall of the hotel
(d) out in front of the hotel
4. What does Daisy accuse her mother of doing?
(a) making a scene
(b) looking for gentlemen
(c) hiding from Randolph
(d) poking around
5. What does Daisy say she hopes Winterbourne feels as she goes inside with her mother?
(a) angry, insulted, or back handed
(b) impatience, grief, or confusion
(c) relieved, happy, or over joyed
(d) disappointed, or disgusted, or something
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Daisy react to his departure news?
2. What happens when Daisy goes out alone with gentlemen?
3. How does Mrs. Costello epitomize the double standard of the day when her nephew tells her about his outing with Daisy?
4. What habit of Randolph's is a great worry to his mother and Daisy?
5. What seems to disappoint Daisy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the information Winterbourne receives about Daisy from Mrs. Walker.
2. How does Henry James satirize Americans in the scene at Mrs. Walker's afternoon gathering?
3. How does the news about Daisy alter Winterbourne's plans after he arrives in Rome?
4. How do even the women of this era accept the double standard of the sexes?
5. Is there any indication in the first book that Winterbourne is concerned about Daisy's reputation?
6. How do the American women try to prevent Daisy from going to meet Giovanelli?
7. What is it that Daisy does that causes so much gossip among the Americans?
8. What is the irony of Mrs. Costello's nieces in America?
9. What is the basis on which the questions of Daisy's innocence is judged?
10. What is it in Daisy's conversation that Winterbourne misses that should have told him how Daisy is feeling about him?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)