|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Daisy speak to her mother, the servant, and perfect strangers?
(a) with a kind of sweetness
(b) with a very loud voice
(c) with a lot of curiosity
(d) with a shocking bluntness
2. What is the opinion of the locals and certain hotel guests about the Millers?
(a) they are brash, uneducated, and uncultivated
(b) they are polished and too superior for the locals
(c) they are too hard to get to know
(d) they are accepted because of their money
3. How is Daisy dressed as she comes down the stairs?
(a) in a revealing sun dress
(b) in an elegant traveling costume
(c) in a pair of pants and a blouse
(d) in jeans and a T-shirt
4. Under other circumstances, what might make Daisy acceptable to European society?
(a) her financial situation and the fact that she dresses in perfection
(b) her education and the fact that she is beautiful
(c) her willingness to give generously and her appearance
(d) her good taste in clothes and her descrition about men
5. What time is it when Daisy accepts the invitation to go for a row?
(a) nearly ten at night
(c) eleven o'clock
(d) half past ten
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Daisy say Winterbourne has not spoken to her?
2. What are Americans seen as failing to do?
3. What shocks Mrs. Costello when Winterbourne tells her where he was all afternoon?
4. How does Daisy react to his departure news?
5. What does Daisy do inside the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shows Daisy's awareness of the American expatriates' snobbishness?
2. At Mrs. Walker's party, how does Winterbourne alter to stop Daisy's behavior?
3. Describe how one of the two main characters is introduced at the beginning of the novel.
4. How does Winterbourne respond to Mrs. Walker's request that he stop seeing Daisy?
5. What makes Winterbourne so proud on the trip to Chillon?
6. What happens in the winter of the same year Winterbourne met Daisy?
7. How do the American women try to prevent Daisy from going to meet Giovanelli?
8. To solve the problem of Daisy's going alone, how does Winterbourne provide an answer?
9. Describe the main conflict of the novel.
10. What is the contradiction in Daisy among the Americans?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)