Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Daisy seem to Winterbourne during the trip?
(a) a mixture of innocence and crudity
(b) a mixture of elegance and rustic behavior
(c) a mixture of sophistication and barbarianism
(d) a mixture of youth and old age
2. What did a lady tell Mrs. Miller about local castles?
(a) to be sure and see them all
(b) they are better than those in Italy
(c) not to waste time seeing them
(d) they cost too much to visit
3. What is a young American named Winterbourne doing in Vevey, Switzerland?
(a) going to school
(b) writing a book
(c) visiting his aunt
(d) taking the hot baths
4. Under other circumstances, what might make Daisy acceptable to European society?
(a) her financial situation and the fact that she dresses in perfection
(b) her willingness to give generously and her appearance
(c) her education and the fact that she is beautiful
(d) her good taste in clothes and her descrition about men
5. What do the Millers do with Eugenio that the Europeans do not understand?
(a) treat him as family
(b) never take his advice
(c) pay him too much
(d) let him stay in their hotel room
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daisy Miller tell Winterbourne about her trip?
2. Why will it be easy for Winterbourne to visit Daisy in Rome?
3. How does Eugenio react on hearing that Daisy is going to Chillon Castle with Winterbourne?
4. Where does Daisy's brother say his father is?
5. Where does Winterbourne wait for Daisy to join him for the trip to the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winterbourne's attempt at a joke turn out badly?
2. How does the courier Eugenio react to the suggestion that Daisy go to the Chillon Castle with Winterbourne?
3. How does Winterbourne respond to Mrs. Costello?
4. What is the contradiction in Daisy among the Americans?
5. What shows Daisy's awareness of the American expatriates' snobbishness?
6. What does Daisy say she is about to do that scandalizes the Americans at Mrs. Walker's house?
7. How does Mrs. Miller show her own naivete regarding Giovanelli?
8. What does Mrs. Walker say Daisy has done that is unacceptable?
9. What makes Winterbourne so proud on the trip to Chillon?
10. Describe briefly how Daisy enjoys creating a fuss.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)