|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Featherstone ask Daisy about Americans?
(a) if they eat hotdogs for breakfast
(b) if they have schools
(c) if they all live in hotels
(d) if they are all rich
2. What does Daisy say she hopes Winterbourne feels as she goes inside with her mother?
(a) angry, insulted, or back handed
(b) impatience, grief, or confusion
(c) relieved, happy, or over joyed
(d) disappointed, or disgusted, or something
3. How does Henry James describe Mrs. Miller?
(a) overweight with a prominent nose
(b) hawk-like and narrow of forehead
(c) large and elegant
(d) small and spare with a wandering eye
4. What is Daisy's response when Eugenio asks if she intends to go alone?
(a) of course, she's a big girl now
(b) yes, she knows how to row
(c) no, with this gentleman
(d) no, she's taking Randolph
5. What does Daisy accuse Winterbourne of?
(a) being jealous
(b) being silent
(c) being grave
(d) being superior
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daisy realize from Winterbourne's excuses about his aunt?
2. What is a young American named Winterbourne doing in Vevey, Switzerland?
3. What does Winterbourne say his function is for the trip to Chillon Castle?
4. What was Mrs. Miller unable to do?
5. How does Daisy speak to her mother, the servant, and perfect strangers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the courier Eugenio react to the suggestion that Daisy go to the Chillon Castle with Winterbourne?
2. How does Miller set up a theme of tension between the Americans and the Europeans?
3. What is Winterbourne's self-image on the trip?
4. What are some of the Miller family behaviors that appear objectionable to the American expatriates?
5. How does Winterbourne miss a third clue about Daisy's attraction to him?
6. What is the contradiction in Daisy among the Americans?
7. What is the irony of Mrs. Costello's nieces in America?
8. What is it in Daisy's conversation that Winterbourne misses that should have told him how Daisy is feeling about him?
9. What is Mrs. Costello's admonition to her nephew about Daisy?
10. Briefly describe the double standard about morality implied in the novel.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)