|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Daisy say Winterbourne has not spoken to her?
(a) half an hour
(b) an hour and a half
(c) twenty minutes
(d) an hour
2. What did a lady tell Mrs. Miller about local castles?
(a) not to waste time seeing them
(b) they are better than those in Italy
(c) to be sure and see them all
(d) they cost too much to visit
3. What is symbolized by the ruins of the Chillon Castle?
(a) Europe's immobile economy
(b) Europe's cultural heritage
(c) the inferiority of Europeans
(d) the decay of Europe
4. How does Winterbourne feel about the sail to the castle?
(a) like a tiresome way to travel
(b) like a boy with a new toy
(c) like an escapade or adventure
(d) like a fish in a bowl
5. What does Daisy ask Winterbourne if he would do?
(a) drive her to Geneva
(b) take her out dancing
(c) stop talking to her mother
(d) take her out in a boat
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what pretense does Daisy not want him to come to Rome?
2. What are Americans seen as failing to do?
3. What has Mrs. Costello done after seeing the Millers in the hotel?
4. What are all the people doing as they pass out of the great hall?
5. What does Winterbourne offer to do to show his good intentions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to be a flirtatious pastime of Daisy's?
2. Describe how one of the two main characters is introduced at the beginning of the novel.
3. Explain Winterbourne's attraction to Daisy.
4. What makes Winterbourne so proud on the trip to Chillon?
5. What is Mrs. Costello's admonition to her nephew about Daisy?
6. What is Winterbourne's self-image on the trip?
7. What is the overall objection to the Miller family?
8. How does the courier Eugenio react to the suggestion that Daisy go to the Chillon Castle with Winterbourne?
9. What is it that Daisy does that causes so much gossip among the Americans?
10. What is the irony of Mrs. Costello's nieces in America?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)