|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What appears to be a double standard involving Winterbourne and his judgment of Daisy's morals?
(a) his eye for all the pretty ladies
(b) his own relationship in Geneva
(c) his pursuit of her although thinking her coarse
(d) his attitude toward servants
2. What are all the people doing as they pass out of the great hall?
(a) talking about the weather
(b) looking very hard
(c) minding their own business
(d) trying to get out the door
3. What could Daisy not say when introducing Winterbourne to her mother?
(a) where he is from
(b) his full name
(c) how long she has known him
(d) how old he is
4. How does Mrs. Costello see Daisy?
(a) as stupid and unstylish
(b) as a gold digger
(c) as coarse and a flirt
(d) as arrogant
5. Under what pretense does Daisy not want him to come to Rome?
(a) to collect Italian art
(b) to look for a job
(c) to visit his aunt
(d) to help find a school for Randolph
Short Answer Questions
1. What secretly pleases Winterbourne?
2. What has Mrs. Costello done after seeing the Millers in the hotel?
3. What does Daisy represent in the novel?
4. How does Daisy seem to Winterbourne during the trip?
5. Who speaks from out of the shadows?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Winterbourne observe about Daisy and her mother?
2. What makes Winterbourne so proud on the trip to Chillon?
3. What shows Daisy's awareness of the American expatriates' snobbishness?
4. What is it that Daisy does that causes so much gossip among the Americans?
5. What is another clue Winterbourne seems to miss that Daisy is interested in him?
6. Describe how one of the two main characters is introduced at the beginning of the novel.
7. What is the contradiction in Daisy among the Americans?
8. What shows the ineptitude of Mrs. Miller as a mother?
9. Describe Daisy's coquettish behavior with Winterbourne on the way to Chillon.
10. What is Mrs. Costello's admonition to her nephew about Daisy?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)