|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a central clash in the novel?
(a) style versus garrishness
(b) youth versus age
(c) American versus European culture
(d) men versus women
2. What does Daisy accuse her mother of doing?
(a) hiding from Randolph
(b) looking for gentlemen
(c) making a scene
(d) poking around
3. What does Daisy do inside the castle?
(a) ignores Winterbourne
(b) slips away and return to the hotel
(c) flirts with all the men
(d) continues to berate Winterbourne
4. How does Daisy react to his departure news?
(a) she thinks he's horrid
(b) she doesn't respond
(c) she's happy to see him go
(d) she laughs at him
5. What is the mystery of the novel?
(a) where Mr. Miller is
(b) who the woman in Geneva is
(c) the truth about Daisy's innocence
(d) where Daisy was born
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Winterbourne want to travel to the castle?
2. What are all the people doing as they pass out of the great hall?
3. Who does Mrs. Costello say would never behave the way Daisy does?
4. When does Winterbourne say he must return to Geneva?
5. How does Eugenio react on hearing that Daisy is going to Chillon Castle with Winterbourne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Costello's admonition to her nephew about Daisy?
2. Describe briefly how Daisy enjoys creating a fuss.
3. What are some of the Miller family behaviors that appear objectionable to the American expatriates?
4. What is the irony of Mrs. Costello's nieces in America?
5. Describe how one of the two main characters is introduced at the beginning of the novel.
6. What seems to be a flirtatious pastime of Daisy's?
7. How do even the women of this era accept the double standard of the sexes?
8. Briefly describe the double standard about morality implied in the novel.
9. What is it that Daisy does that causes so much gossip among the Americans?
10. What is another clue Winterbourne seems to miss that Daisy is interested in him?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)