|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Mrs. Costello done after seeing the Millers in the hotel?
(a) introduced herself
(b) kept out of their way
(c) sent them an invitation to tea
(d) had a migraine headache
2. How does Mrs. Costello epitomize the double standard of the day when her nephew tells her about his outing with Daisy?
(a) she assigns guilt to Daisy
(b) she tells her nephew to do his work in secret
(c) she tells her nephew he cannot come to see her again
(d) she accuses her nephew of corrupting a girl
3. In Mrs. Costello's opinion, what may well-bred young ladies not do?
(a) consort with strange men without an escort
(b) wear the latest fashions
(c) speak before spoken to
(d) travel with a courier
4. What does Daisy Miller tell Winterbourne about her trip?
(a) all the bad experiences she has had
(b) the different kinds of weather she has seen
(c) all the good shopping since being in Europe
(d) the problem she has meeting men
5. Under other circumstances, what might make Daisy acceptable to European society?
(a) her good taste in clothes and her descrition about men
(b) her willingness to give generously and her appearance
(c) her education and the fact that she is beautiful
(d) her financial situation and the fact that she dresses in perfection
Short Answer Questions
1. What time is it when Daisy accepts the invitation to go for a row?
2. What surprises Winterbourne during the discussion about Chillon with Daisy's mother?
3. What habit does Daisy have that is different from European girls?
4. What does Daisy say she has always had?
5. What does Daisy say she hopes Winterbourne feels as she goes inside with her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to be a flirtatious pastime of Daisy's?
2. How do even the women of this era accept the double standard of the sexes?
3. Is there any indication in the first book that Winterbourne is concerned about Daisy's reputation?
4. Explain Winterbourne's first impression of Daisy.
5. What is the contradiction in Daisy among the Americans?
6. What behavior on the part of the Millers accentuates the European-American conflict?
7. Describe Daisy's coquettish behavior with Winterbourne on the way to Chillon.
8. What shows the ineptitude of Mrs. Miller as a mother?
9. Relate an example of Daisy's stopping before going too far.
10. What is the overall objection to the Miller family?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)