|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Mrs. Costello's opinion, what may well-bred young ladies not do?
(a) consort with strange men without an escort
(b) speak before spoken to
(c) wear the latest fashions
(d) travel with a courier
2. Why will it be easy for Winterbourne to visit Daisy in Rome?
(a) his job often takes him to Rome and Paris
(b) his aunt has an apartment where and he is planning to go
(c) he can transfer his job to Rome whenever he wishes
(d) he will have holiday time while she is in Rome
3. What is the opinion of the locals and certain hotel guests about the Millers?
(a) they are polished and too superior for the locals
(b) they are accepted because of their money
(c) they are brash, uneducated, and uncultivated
(d) they are too hard to get to know
4. Why do Mrs. Costello and the Europeans not need physical proof of Daisy's indiscretions?
(a) the gossip is enough to brand her as immoral
(b) she tells on herself
(c) she appears to be pregnant
(d) what she does in plain view is easy to tell what she does in private
5. Why does Vevey appear to be more relaxed in social values than in other parts of Europe?
(a) because of its tolerant religion
(b) because of its international flavor
(c) because of its isolation
(d) because of its higher level of education
Short Answer Questions
1. What habit does Daisy have that is different from European girls?
2. What is Winterbourne's reason for being attracted to Daisy?
3. What does Daisy accuse her mother of doing?
4. What surprises Winterbourne during the discussion about Chillon with Daisy's mother?
5. What about Daisy is most intriguing to Winterbourne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the basis on which the questions of Daisy's innocence is judged?
2. Describe Daisy's coquettish behavior with Winterbourne on the way to Chillon.
3. Briefly describe the double standard about morality implied in the novel.
4. What is the overall objection to the Miller family?
5. What is the contradiction in Daisy among the Americans?
6. What are some of the Miller family behaviors that appear objectionable to the American expatriates?
7. What is another clue Winterbourne seems to miss that Daisy is interested in him?
8. What is Winterbourne's self-image on the trip?
9. What is it in Daisy's conversation that Winterbourne misses that should have told him how Daisy is feeling about him?
10. What behavior on the part of the Millers accentuates the European-American conflict?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)