|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Winterbourne's behavior indicate to Daisy?
(a) that he wants to marry her
(b) that he is interested in her money
(c) that he hates the Italians
(d) that he is not interested
2. How does Winterbourne defend Daisy?
(a) saying she is only naive
(b) saying she is not cultured but not bad
(c) saying she is the innocent victim of her beauty
(d) saying she is just trying to learn the language
3. Why is Daisy miffed at Winterbourne?
(a) he didn't let her know he was coming
(b) he didn't come see her first
(c) he isn't wearning stylish clothes
(d) he hasn't written to her
4. What is the irony of Mrs. Costello?
(a) she is trying to deny her American past
(b) she has no particular religious beliefs
(c) she is American with an Italian last name
(d) she is more naive than Daisy
5. When have Italian men been calling for Daisy at her hotel?
(a) early in the morning
(b) after she was seen with Giovanelli
(c) since last month
(d) late at night
6. How does Mrs. Walker react to Daisy's announcement?
(a) she orders Daisy to remain at her place
(b) she is relieved that someone will meet Daisy
(c) she warns that it is not safe
(d) she seems confused by Daisy's plan
7. Where does Winterbourne next see Giovanelli?
(a) walking with another American girl
(b) at Daisy's funeral
(c) sitting alone in the park
(d) on the train to Switzerland
8. What does Daisy ask if Winterbourne remembers?
(a) the trip to the Chillon Castle
(b) the way she dressed for the steamer trip
(c) the day they walked in the garden
(d) the sugar he gave to Randolf
9. What does the American community use to punish non-conformists?
10. When Winterbourne goes looking for Daisy and Giovanelli in the park, what does Daisy do when she spots him?
(a) screams at Winterbourne to go away
(b) hides herself and Giovanelli behind her parasol
(c) leads Giovanelli into a crowd where they get lost
(d) gets Giovanelli to hire a carriage to take them away
11. Why do Winterbourne's and Daisy's paths gradually stop crossing?
(a) Daisy travels to Paris
(b) their mutual friends stop inviting her places
(c) Mrs. Costello insists on it
(d) she avoids Winterbourne
12. What does Winterbourne accept as the truth?
(a) his observationsa
(b) the things Daisy says
(c) the facts
(d) the appearance of things
13. What does Daisy not see in the Italian men she goes out with?
(a) that their manners are crude
(b) that they are uneducated
(c) that they are fortune hunters
(d) that they are married men
14. What does Mrs. Miller suppose Daisy's situation is?
(a) perfectly natural for any young girl
(b) carefree and able to take care of herself
(c) engaged and thus not in any danger
(d) the innocent victim of gossip
15. What is the era the navel DAISY MILLER takes place in?
(a) the Edwardian era
(b) the Victorian era
(c) the Renaissance era
(d) the Revolutionary era
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Daisy say she must leave early?
2. What has Daisy already noticed Mr. Giovanelli doing?
3. What are the rumors about what Winterbourne is pursuing in Geneva?
4. More so in Rome, what is the central theme of the novel?
5. Who does Mrs. Costello say has a good deal of manner and a wonderful mustache?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)