|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Mrs. Costello have for her nephew?
(a) that the Millers have left Rome
(b) that Mr. Miller has joined his family
(c) that the Millers are in Rome
(d) that the Millers are leaving tomorrow
2. In Book Two, what is Daisy doing?
(a) trying to teach cultural differences to the Americans
(b) looking for an Italian husband
(c) deliberately flaunting the Victorian social mores
(d) bending to the Victorian social mores
3. At the Colosseum, what does Winterbourne give Daisy over to?
(a) his personal protection from Giovanelli
(b) the advances of Mr. Giovanelli
(c) an arrest as a prostitute
(d) her own insanity
4. What does Daisy say is a disagreeable thing for Winterbourne today?
(a) that she is star struck
(b) that she has no fashion sense
(c) that she has no culture
(d) that she and Giovanelli are in love
5. What does Mrs. Walker want Daisy to do?
(a) dismiss Giovanelli and return to her house
(b) explain herslef
(c) leave with her in the carriage
(d) bring winterbourne and go with her
6. What does the American community use to punish non-conformists?
7. What does Winterbourne learn at Daisy's funeral?
(a) that she was married
(b) that she was mentally unbalanced
(c) that she was younger than he thought
(d) that she was innocent
8. What emotion prevents Winterbourne from going directly to see Daisy in Rome?
9. Who is the first person Winterbourne goes to visit in Rome?
(a) Giorgio Pinza, his Italian tailor
(b) Mrs. Miller, Daisy's mother
(c) Mr. Loren, his Italian banker
(d) Mrs. Walker, an American he knew in Geneva
10. At what point does Winterbourne begin to doubt Daisy's innocence?
(a) when Daisy is not in her hotel room
(b) when the parasol hides them from him
(c) when Daisy walks out Mrs. Walker's door
(d) when Daisy refuses to get in the carriage
11. What does Winterbourne scold Daisy about?
(a) being unchaperoned
(b) exposing herself to the night air
(c) dressing so casually
(d) being out so late
12. What request does Daisy make of Mrs. Walker?
(a) to ignore Mr. Winterbourne
(b) to bring her some English tea
(c) to bring a gentleman friend to her party
(d) to tell her where she buys her clothes
13. Where does Winterbourne run into Daisy after not seeing her for some time?
(a) the Palace of the Caesars
(b) a sidewalk cafe
(c) in the hotel restaurant
(d) at the Colosseum
14. What is Daisy doing, according to Mrs. Costello, that disturbs Winterbourne?
(a) behaving snobbishly
(b) entertaining men
(c) avoiding the Americans
(d) staying out late at night
15. At what time does Winterbourne run into Daisy and Giovanelli again at the Colosseum a week later?
(a) at two in the morning
(b) near midnight
(c) at five in the afternoon
(d) about seven-thirty
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Daisy tease Winterbourne about her reported engagement?
2. What does Winterbourne's behavior indicate to Daisy?
3. What gossip does Winterbourne agree that Daisy is doing by her behavior?
4. What are the rumors about what Winterbourne is pursuing in Geneva?
5. What is the ironic double standard at the end of the novel?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)