|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Costello suggest Daisy might allow herself to do?
(a) become a common street walker
(b) become pregnant
(c) break Winterbourne's heart
(d) become engaged to Giovanelli
2. Where does Winterbourne run into Daisy after not seeing her for some time?
(a) a sidewalk cafe
(b) in the hotel restaurant
(c) at the Colosseum
(d) the Palace of the Caesars
3. How does Daisy appear when Mrs. Walker refuses to speak to her?
4. What does Daisy berate Winterbourne for?
(a) not standing up for her
(b) not calling at her hotel
(c) believing everything he hears
(d) not minding his own business
5. In Book One, how might Daisy be viewed?
(a) as merely testing the social restrictions in Vevey
(b) as purely innocent but finding excitement
(c) as learning how to test a foreign society
(d) as a proper girl misunderstood by the Americans
6. What is the irony of Mrs. Costello?
(a) she is more naive than Daisy
(b) she is trying to deny her American past
(c) she has no particular religious beliefs
(d) she is American with an Italian last name
7. What does Winterbourne accept as the truth?
(a) the facts
(b) the appearance of things
(c) his observationsa
(d) the things Daisy says
8. How does Daisy see her flirtations as being?
(a) the way a woman gets power over a man
(b) a serious habit she cannot break
(c) evidence that nothing improper is going on
(d) what is necessary to attract a man
9. What does Mrs. Walker tell Mr. Winterbourne?
(a) the unsuitable places where Daisy has been seen
(b) something about Giovanelli
(c) what Daisy is doing to her mother
(d) more about Daisy's behavior
10. At the party, what does Daisy seem to prefer?
(a) asking the women where to buy new fashions
(b) showing off her new engagement ring
(c) spending more time with Winterbourne than Giovanelli
(d) talking with the other Americans
11. What is a further danger at night in the Colosseum?
(d) the police
12. A year later back in Vevey what does Winterbourne confess to his aunt?
(a) he made a mistake with Daisy
(b) he had forgotten what Daisy looked like
(c) he had fallen in love with Daisy
(d) he had finally caught Daisy in her lies
13. What are the rumors about what Winterbourne is pursuing in Geneva?
(a) a life of regret
(b) a clever foreign lady
(c) acceptance into a monastery
(d) a new career
14. How does Daisy's letter to Winterbourne reveal her real feelings about him?
(a) an apology for her behavior
(b) an out right declaration of love
(c) a promise to see him when she recovers
(d) remembering the trip to Chillon Castle
15. What comment of Winterbourne's does Daisy find disagreeable?
(a) that Giovanelli is too old for her
(b) that she should be ashamed of herself
(c) that she cannot see the forest for the trees
(d) that she and Giovanelli are in love
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Winterbourne defend Daisy?
2. What does Mrs. Costello say Daisy's activities are causing ?
3. Why is Daisy miffed at Winterbourne?
4. What indicates that Winterbourne is actually eager to see Daisy?
5. What gossip does Winterbourne agree that Daisy is doing by her behavior?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)