|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comment of Winterbourne's does Daisy find disagreeable?
(a) that she cannot see the forest for the trees
(b) that she should be ashamed of herself
(c) that she and Giovanelli are in love
(d) that Giovanelli is too old for her
2. What disease is believed to be cause by night air?
(c) heart failure
3. What does Daisy ask if Winterbourne remembers?
(a) the way she dressed for the steamer trip
(b) the day they walked in the garden
(c) the sugar he gave to Randolf
(d) the trip to the Chillon Castle
4. After the message is delivered to Winterbourne, what happens to Daisy?
(a) she marries Giovanelli
(b) she returns to America
(c) she dies
(d) she recuperates
5. Where does Winterbourne run into Daisy after not seeing her for some time?
(a) at the Colosseum
(b) the Palace of the Caesars
(c) in the hotel restaurant
(d) a sidewalk cafe
6. Why does Daisy say she must leave early?
(a) to get something for her headache
(b) to walk at the Pincian Garden
(c) to get away from winterbourne
(d) to pick up a new dress she bought
7. What does Daisy berate Winterbourne for?
(a) not standing up for her
(b) not minding his own business
(c) not calling at her hotel
(d) believing everything he hears
8. Who does Winterbourne suggest will misinterpret Daisy's activities?
(a) the locals
(b) the children
(c) the Americans
(d) the religious
9. What do Daisy, Giovanelli, and Winterbourne do in the Pincian Garden?
(a) stroll together
(b) sit and watch the people passing
(c) find a sidewalk cafe
(d) sit and stare at one another
10. What are the rumors about what Winterbourne is pursuing in Geneva?
(a) a new career
(b) a life of regret
(c) acceptance into a monastery
(d) a clever foreign lady
11. What does Winterbourne do instead of trying to let Daisy know his true feelings?
(a) ignores her completely
(b) insists that she apologize to Mrs. Walker
(c) brushes her off to talk with Giovanelli
(d) obsesses over her relationship with the other man
12. What does Winterbourne's behavior indicate to Daisy?
(a) that he is not interested
(b) that he wants to marry her
(c) that he is interested in her money
(d) that he hates the Italians
13. What indicates that Winterbourne is actually eager to see Daisy?
(a) he tries to appear eager to please Daisy
(b) he skipped Bologna and Florence on his way to Rome
(c) he doesn't talk about her with Mrs. Costello
(d) he looks her up first when he gets to Rome
14. What does the American community use to punish non-conformists?
15. How does Mrs. Walker react to Daisy's announcement?
(a) she orders Daisy to remain at her place
(b) she warns that it is not safe
(c) she seems confused by Daisy's plan
(d) she is relieved that someone will meet Daisy
Short Answer Questions
1. At the party, what does Daisy seem to prefer?
2. At the funeral, what does Giovanelli proclaim about Daisy?
3. What is the era the navel DAISY MILLER takes place in?
4. What is the ironic double standard at the end of the novel?
5. What is missing in Daisy that parallels what is missing in the American expatriates?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)