|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Walker react to Daisy's announcement?
(a) she warns that it is not safe
(b) she orders Daisy to remain at her place
(c) she is relieved that someone will meet Daisy
(d) she seems confused by Daisy's plan
2. What does the American community use to punish non-conformists?
3. What does Mrs. Miller suppose Daisy's situation is?
(a) engaged and thus not in any danger
(b) the innocent victim of gossip
(c) perfectly natural for any young girl
(d) carefree and able to take care of herself
4. What resolve does Winterbourne make about Daisy's meeting with Giovanelli?
(a) not to leave them alone together
(b) to show Daisy what kind of man Giovanelli is
(c) to challenge Giovanelli to a duel
(d) to pretend to leave and then follow them
5. At what point does Winterbourne begin to doubt Daisy's innocence?
(a) when Daisy refuses to get in the carriage
(b) when Daisy is not in her hotel room
(c) when the parasol hides them from him
(d) when Daisy walks out Mrs. Walker's door
6. What does Winterbourne's behavior indicate to Daisy?
(a) that he wants to marry her
(b) that he is interested in her money
(c) that he is not interested
(d) that he hates the Italians
7. What request does Daisy make of Mrs. Walker?
(a) to bring a gentleman friend to her party
(b) to bring her some English tea
(c) to tell her where she buys her clothes
(d) to ignore Mr. Winterbourne
8. Who is the first person Winterbourne goes to visit in Rome?
(a) Giorgio Pinza, his Italian tailor
(b) Mr. Loren, his Italian banker
(c) Mrs. Walker, an American he knew in Geneva
(d) Mrs. Miller, Daisy's mother
9. What is a further danger at night in the Colosseum?
(a) the police
10. What is Daisy doing, according to Mrs. Costello, that disturbs Winterbourne?
(a) entertaining men
(b) avoiding the Americans
(c) behaving snobbishly
(d) staying out late at night
11. What is the irony of the Americans disapproving of the outsiders?
(a) they disapprove of everyone
(b) they are long time Italian residents
(c) they are ignorant of cultural differences
(d) they are outsiders in Italy themselves
12. What do Daisy, Giovanelli, and Winterbourne do in the Pincian Garden?
(a) stroll together
(b) sit and stare at one another
(c) find a sidewalk cafe
(d) sit and watch the people passing
13. Seen by Daisy as he is about to leave the Colosseum, what does she accuse Winterbourne of?
(a) being a snob like the other Americans
(b) going away without speaking to her
(c) being too afraid to fight for her
(d) spying on her
14. What renews Winterbourne's interest in Daisy Miller?
(a) when he hears she has broken up with Giovanelli
(b) when he hears she has married Giovanelli
(c) when he hears she is leaving Rome
(d) when he learns that she has fallen ill
15. What does Winterbourne tell Daisy about?
(a) the joke he played on Mrs. Walker
(b) the illness of Mrs. Costello
(c) the rumor of her engagement
(d) the concert he where would like to take her
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease is believed to be cause by night air?
2. What news does Mrs. Costello have for her nephew?
3. What does Daisy berate Winterbourne for?
4. What does Winterbourne say he had done to Daisy?
5. A few days later at Mrs. Walker's party, how does Daisy show up?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)