|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do people like Mrs. Costello often make judgments of others?
(a) based on the Bible
(b) based on observation
(c) based on gossip
(d) based on the facts
2. At the party, what does Daisy seem to prefer?
(a) asking the women where to buy new fashions
(b) spending more time with Winterbourne than Giovanelli
(c) talking with the other Americans
(d) showing off her new engagement ring
3. What is missing in Daisy that parallels what is missing in the American expatriates?
(a) the ability to stand up for oneself
(b) the ability to see things as they really are
(c) the ability to gossip
(d) the ability to make judgments of other people
4. A year later back in Vevey what does Winterbourne confess to his aunt?
(a) he had fallen in love with Daisy
(b) he had forgotten what Daisy looked like
(c) he made a mistake with Daisy
(d) he had finally caught Daisy in her lies
5. What does Daisy ask if Winterbourne remembers?
(a) the trip to the Chillon Castle
(b) the day they walked in the garden
(c) the sugar he gave to Randolf
(d) the way she dressed for the steamer trip
6. What does Winterbourne's behavior indicate to Daisy?
(a) that he hates the Italians
(b) that he wants to marry her
(c) that he is not interested
(d) that he is interested in her money
7. What do Daisy, Giovanelli, and Winterbourne do in the Pincian Garden?
(a) stroll together
(b) find a sidewalk cafe
(c) sit and stare at one another
(d) sit and watch the people passing
8. What renews Winterbourne's interest in Daisy Miller?
(a) when he hears she is leaving Rome
(b) when he hears she has married Giovanelli
(c) when he learns that she has fallen ill
(d) when he hears she has broken up with Giovanelli
9. Why is Daisy miffed at Winterbourne?
(a) he didn't come see her first
(b) he didn't let her know he was coming
(c) he isn't wearning stylish clothes
(d) he hasn't written to her
10. What is the symbolism of the Colosseum?
(a) antiquity and promise
(b) abandonment and destruction
(c) grandeur and happiness
(d) atrocious violence in the past
11. What does Winterbourne agree that Daisy should do?
(a) go with the older woman
(b) stop fraternizing with the Italians
(c) tell Mrs. Walker to mind her own business
(d) terminate her friendship with Giovanelli
12. Who does Winterbourne suggest will misinterpret Daisy's activities?
(a) the locals
(b) the Americans
(c) the religious
(d) the children
13. Why does Winterbourne arrive in Rome that winter?
(a) to travel on to Spain
(b) to help find a school for Randolf
(c) to see the colosseum
(d) to visit his aunt
14. What is the irony of the Americans disapproving of the outsiders?
(a) they disapprove of everyone
(b) they are ignorant of cultural differences
(c) they are outsiders in Italy themselves
(d) they are long time Italian residents
15. How does Daisy appear when Mrs. Walker refuses to speak to her?
Short Answer Questions
1. Seen by Daisy as he is about to leave the Colosseum, what does she accuse Winterbourne of?
2. At what point does Winterbourne begin to doubt Daisy's innocence?
3. What indicates that Winterbourne is actually eager to see Daisy?
4. Where does Winterbourne next see Giovanelli?
5. What has Daisy already noticed Mr. Giovanelli doing?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)