|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Winterbourne say his function is for the trip to Chillon Castle?
(c) baggage handler
2. What habit of Randolph's is a great worry to his mother and Daisy?
(a) he talks too much
(b) he will only listen to the courier
(c) he goes around breaking things
(d) he doesn't sleep
3. Why is Winterbourne a bit uncomfortable waiting for Daisy?
(a) he feels over dressed
(b) maybe she won't come
(c) everyone can see them meet
(d) his aunt might come down
4. What habit does Daisy have that is different from European girls?
(a) she holds her nose in the air and is unfriendly
(b) she looks people directly in the eye without blushing
(c) she keeps her eyes down and never looks at anyone
(d) she laughs loudly and calls attention to herself
5. What was Mrs. Miller unable to do?
(a) put Randolph to bed
(b) get Eugenio to order tea
(c) walk up the stairs
(d) straighten her shawl
6. What does Winterbourne say he was doing while not talking with Daisy?
(a) trying to think of something interesting to say
(b) looking for a boat to hire
(c) having a pleasant conversation with her mother
(d) checking to see when the next steamer leaves for Chillon
7. What does Eugenio suggest to Daisy?
(a) that she make up her own mind
(b) that she go fetch another shawl
(c) that she wear a life jacket
(d) that she not go out on a boat
8. How does Daisy speak to her mother, the servant, and perfect strangers?
(a) with a lot of curiosity
(b) with a very loud voice
(c) with a shocking bluntness
(d) with a kind of sweetness
9. What is a young American named Winterbourne doing in Vevey, Switzerland?
(a) going to school
(b) taking the hot baths
(c) writing a book
(d) visiting his aunt
10. Why does Winterbourne not visit his aunt in the hotel?
(a) she has gone unexpectedly to Rome
(b) she is ill and not receiving visitors
(c) she has a gentleman caller
(d) she is out shopping
11. When does Winterbourne say he must return to Geneva?
(a) after they return from the castle
(b) next week
(c) in two days
12. What is Daisy's brother's addiction?
(d) German beer
13. How does Winterbourne feel about the sail to the castle?
(a) like a fish in a bowl
(b) like an escapade or adventure
(c) like a tiresome way to travel
(d) like a boy with a new toy
14. What theme of the novel runs through much of Henry James' novels?
(a) money and society
(b) age against youth
(c) tension between the Americans and the Europeans
(d) war and peace
15. What circumstance about Winterbourne does Mrs. Costello think makes him naive about girls like Daisy?
(a) his being away from America for a long time
(b) his limited education in Europe
(c) his weakness for anything that wears a skirt
(d) his moving only in the best society
Short Answer Questions
1. What secretly pleases Winterbourne?
2. What do the Millers do with Eugenio that the Europeans do not understand?
3. What is Winterbourne's suggestion to Daisy?
4. What does Winterbourne conclude he would deucedly enjoy?
5. What does Miss Featherstone ask Daisy about Americans?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)