|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Daisy say she has always had?
(a) a great deal of gentlemen's society
(b) a distaste for all things European
(c) a closet full of Paris dresses
(d) an ability to meet strangers
2. Why is Winterbourne a bit uncomfortable waiting for Daisy?
(a) he feels over dressed
(b) his aunt might come down
(c) everyone can see them meet
(d) maybe she won't come
3. What surprises Winterbourne during the discussion about Chillon with Daisy's mother?
(a) suggesting that Daisy should not go
(b) suggesting that Daisy go alone
(c) suggesting that she accompany them
(d) suggesting that Randolph go with them
4. What is a young American named Winterbourne doing in Vevey, Switzerland?
(a) visiting his aunt
(b) taking the hot baths
(c) going to school
(d) writing a book
5. What are all the people doing as they pass out of the great hall?
(a) minding their own business
(b) trying to get out the door
(c) looking very hard
(d) talking about the weather
6. What does the brother say Daisy's real name is?
(a) Annie P. Miller
(b) Dorothy G. Miller
(c) Marie S. Miller
(d) Elizabeth R. Miller
7. How does Mrs. Costello see Daisy?
(a) as a gold digger
(b) as coarse and a flirt
(c) as arrogant
(d) as stupid and unstylish
8. What does Daisy say she hopes Winterbourne feels as she goes inside with her mother?
(a) impatience, grief, or confusion
(b) angry, insulted, or back handed
(c) disappointed, or disgusted, or something
(d) relieved, happy, or over joyed
9. What does Winterbourne conclude he would deucedly enjoy?
(a) going off with Daisy
(b) pushing Daisy into the lake
(c) pulling Mrs. Miller's hair
(d) kicking Eugenio
10. What are Americans seen as failing to do?
(a) speak loudly in public
(b) properly appreciate Europe's ancient charms
(c) learning european languages
(d) eat with the right utensils
11. How does Henry James describe Mrs. Miller?
(a) small and spare with a wandering eye
(b) large and elegant
(c) hawk-like and narrow of forehead
(d) overweight with a prominent nose
12. What seems to disappoint Daisy?
(a) that Winterbourne walks away
(b) that Winterbourne throws a tantrum
(c) that Winterbourne keeps his mouth shut
(d) that Winterbourne doesn't make a fuss
13. Why will it be easy for Winterbourne to visit Daisy in Rome?
(a) his aunt has an apartment where and he is planning to go
(b) he will have holiday time while she is in Rome
(c) his job often takes him to Rome and Paris
(d) he can transfer his job to Rome whenever he wishes
14. What does Daisy accuse Winterbourne of?
(a) being superior
(b) being grave
(c) being silent
(d) being jealous
15. Under what pretense does Daisy not want him to come to Rome?
(a) to collect Italian art
(b) to look for a job
(c) to visit his aunt
(d) to help find a school for Randolph
Short Answer Questions
1. What feeling does Winterbourne have as he watches Daisy descend the stairs?
2. What happens when Daisy goes out alone with gentlemen?
3. What is Winterbourne's suggestion to Daisy?
4. What did a lady tell Mrs. Miller about local castles?
5. What does not seem to concern Winterbourne?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)