|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Daisy seem to Winterbourne during the trip?
(a) a mixture of innocence and crudity
(b) a mixture of elegance and rustic behavior
(c) a mixture of sophistication and barbarianism
(d) a mixture of youth and old age
2. What did a lady tell Mrs. Miller about local castles?
(a) to be sure and see them all
(b) they are better than those in Italy
(c) not to waste time seeing them
(d) they cost too much to visit
3. What is a young American named Winterbourne doing in Vevey, Switzerland?
(a) going to school
(b) writing a book
(c) visiting his aunt
(d) taking the hot baths
4. Under other circumstances, what might make Daisy acceptable to European society?
(a) her financial situation and the fact that she dresses in perfection
(b) her willingness to give generously and her appearance
(c) her education and the fact that she is beautiful
(d) her good taste in clothes and her descrition about men
5. What do the Millers do with Eugenio that the Europeans do not understand?
(a) treat him as family
(b) never take his advice
(c) pay him too much
(d) let him stay in their hotel room
6. What does Daisy Miller tell Winterbourne about her trip?
(a) the problem she has meeting men
(b) the different kinds of weather she has seen
(c) all the good shopping since being in Europe
(d) all the bad experiences she has had
7. Why will it be easy for Winterbourne to visit Daisy in Rome?
(a) he can transfer his job to Rome whenever he wishes
(b) he will have holiday time while she is in Rome
(c) his aunt has an apartment where and he is planning to go
(d) his job often takes him to Rome and Paris
8. How does Eugenio react on hearing that Daisy is going to Chillon Castle with Winterbourne?
(a) afraid that Mrs. Miller will fire him
(b) glad to be relieved of watching her
(c) upset that he has to deal with the younger brother
(d) openly showing his disapproval
9. Where does Daisy's brother say his father is?
(a) in California, USA
(b) upstairs in their hotel room
(c) a better place than Europe
(d) doing buisness in Rome
10. Where does Winterbourne wait for Daisy to join him for the trip to the castle?
(a) the garden in back of the hotel
(b) the large hall of the hotel
(c) out in front of the hotel
(d) in the hotel dining room
11. How does Daisy react to his departure news?
(a) she's happy to see him go
(b) she laughs at him
(c) she doesn't respond
(d) she thinks he's horrid
12. In Mrs. Costello's opinion, what may well-bred young ladies not do?
(a) wear the latest fashions
(b) travel with a courier
(c) speak before spoken to
(d) consort with strange men without an escort
13. What does Eugenio suggest to Daisy?
(a) that she not go out on a boat
(b) that she wear a life jacket
(c) that she go fetch another shawl
(d) that she make up her own mind
14. Given the chance to row off in the night with Winterbourne, what action indicates Daisy might not be as loose as people think?
(a) she refuses to make up her mind
(b) she decides she would rather they all go in and eat
(c) she kisses Winterbourne on the mouth and walks off
(d) she opts to return to the hotel with her family
15. What does not seem to concern Winterbourne?
(a) Daisy's treatment of Eugenio.
(b) Daisy's failure to fit into society
(c) Daisy's younger brother.
(d) Daisy's wardrobe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Winterbourne meet outside the hotel?
2. How does Henry James describe Mrs. Miller?
3. What in Daisy's action indicates that she does not anticipate doing?
4. Who speaks from out of the shadows?
5. What does Winterbourne offer to do to show his good intentions?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)