|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Winterbourne wait for Daisy to join him for the trip to the castle?
(a) in the hotel dining room
(b) the large hall of the hotel
(c) out in front of the hotel
(d) the garden in back of the hotel
2. Why does Mrs. Costello say about meeting Daisy Miller?
(a) that the girl is common and thus not fit company
(b) that the girl is too young to meet her
(c) that the girl is old enough to take care of herself
(d) that the girl should invite her mother along
3. What is a young American named Winterbourne doing in Vevey, Switzerland?
(a) taking the hot baths
(b) visiting his aunt
(c) writing a book
(d) going to school
4. How does Daisy seem to Winterbourne during the trip?
(a) a mixture of innocence and crudity
(b) a mixture of sophistication and barbarianism
(c) a mixture of elegance and rustic behavior
(d) a mixture of youth and old age
5. What seems to disappoint Daisy?
(a) that Winterbourne walks away
(b) that Winterbourne keeps his mouth shut
(c) that Winterbourne throws a tantrum
(d) that Winterbourne doesn't make a fuss
6. What does Winterbourne conclude he would deucedly enjoy?
(a) pushing Daisy into the lake
(b) pulling Mrs. Miller's hair
(c) kicking Eugenio
(d) going off with Daisy
7. What theme of the novel runs through much of Henry James' novels?
(a) age against youth
(b) war and peace
(c) money and society
(d) tension between the Americans and the Europeans
8. How does Daisy react to his departure news?
(a) she doesn't respond
(b) she laughs at him
(c) she's happy to see him go
(d) she thinks he's horrid
9. What could Daisy not say when introducing Winterbourne to her mother?
(a) his full name
(b) how long she has known him
(c) where he is from
(d) how old he is
10. What does Winterbourne say his function is for the trip to Chillon Castle?
(d) baggage handler
11. What does Daisy ask Winterbourne if he would do?
(a) stop talking to her mother
(b) take her out dancing
(c) drive her to Geneva
(d) take her out in a boat
12. How does Mrs. Costello see Daisy?
(a) as arrogant
(b) as stupid and unstylish
(c) as coarse and a flirt
(d) as a gold digger
13. What bargain does Daisy strike to stop teasing Winterbourne?
(a) that he write letters to her from Geneva
(b) that he return to the hotel before she leaves for Rome
(c) that he come see her in Rome
(d) that he take her dancing that evening
14. Under other circumstances, what might make Daisy acceptable to European society?
(a) her financial situation and the fact that she dresses in perfection
(b) her willingness to give generously and her appearance
(c) her good taste in clothes and her descrition about men
(d) her education and the fact that she is beautiful
15. Who does Mrs. Costello say would never behave the way Daisy does?
(a) her granddaughters
(b) her friends' daughters
(c) Swiss girls
(d) French debutantes
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Winterbourne's reason for being attracted to Daisy?
2. What do the Millers do with Eugenio that the Europeans do not understand?
3. Who does Winterbourne meet outside the hotel?
4. What does Daisy do inside the castle?
5. Under what pretense does Daisy not want him to come to Rome?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)