|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Winterbourne's suggestion to Daisy?
(a) that they entertain her younger brother
(b) that they have dinner together that evening
(c) that they take a train trip to Geneva
(d) that they visit the Chillon Castle together
2. What was Mrs. Miller unable to do?
(a) put Randolph to bed
(b) get Eugenio to order tea
(c) walk up the stairs
(d) straighten her shawl
3. What is a central clash in the novel?
(a) American versus European culture
(b) youth versus age
(c) men versus women
(d) style versus garrishness
4. How does Winterbourne want to travel to the castle?
(a) in a motor car
(b) in a carriage
(c) by bicycle
(d) in a row boat
5. What are Americans seen as failing to do?
(a) properly appreciate Europe's ancient charms
(b) speak loudly in public
(c) learning european languages
(d) eat with the right utensils
6. How does Daisy react to his departure news?
(a) she doesn't respond
(b) she laughs at him
(c) she's happy to see him go
(d) she thinks he's horrid
7. What feeling does Winterbourne have as he watches Daisy descend the stairs?
(a) as if he cannot move his feet
(b) as if something romantic is going on
(c) as if something dreadful is about to happen
(d) as if he has made a mistake
8. Who does Mrs. Costello say would never behave the way Daisy does?
(a) French debutantes
(b) her granddaughters
(c) her friends' daughters
(d) Swiss girls
9. What do the Millers do with Eugenio that the Europeans do not understand?
(a) never take his advice
(b) pay him too much
(c) let him stay in their hotel room
(d) treat him as family
10. Where does Daisy's brother say his father is?
(a) in California, USA
(b) upstairs in their hotel room
(c) doing buisness in Rome
(d) a better place than Europe
11. What does Daisy ask Winterbourne if he would do?
(a) stop talking to her mother
(b) take her out in a boat
(c) drive her to Geneva
(d) take her out dancing
12. Why do Mrs. Costello and the Europeans not need physical proof of Daisy's indiscretions?
(a) she tells on herself
(b) the gossip is enough to brand her as immoral
(c) what she does in plain view is easy to tell what she does in private
(d) she appears to be pregnant
13. How does Mrs. Costello see Daisy?
(a) as coarse and a flirt
(b) as arrogant
(c) as stupid and unstylish
(d) as a gold digger
14. What does the brother say Daisy's real name is?
(a) Annie P. Miller
(b) Elizabeth R. Miller
(c) Dorothy G. Miller
(d) Marie S. Miller
15. What bargain does Daisy strike to stop teasing Winterbourne?
(a) that he take her dancing that evening
(b) that he return to the hotel before she leaves for Rome
(c) that he come see her in Rome
(d) that he write letters to her from Geneva
Short Answer Questions
1. What did a lady tell Mrs. Miller about local castles?
2. What in Daisy's action indicates that she does not anticipate doing?
3. What does Daisy accuse her mother of doing?
4. How long does Daisy say Winterbourne has not spoken to her?
5. What does Daisy realize from Winterbourne's excuses about his aunt?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)