|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Daisy speak to her mother, the servant, and perfect strangers?
(a) with a very loud voice
(b) with a shocking bluntness
(c) with a lot of curiosity
(d) with a kind of sweetness
2. What is a young American named Winterbourne doing in Vevey, Switzerland?
(a) visiting his aunt
(b) writing a book
(c) going to school
(d) taking the hot baths
3. How long does Daisy say Winterbourne has not spoken to her?
(a) half an hour
(b) an hour
(c) twenty minutes
(d) an hour and a half
4. What theme of the novel runs through much of Henry James' novels?
(a) tension between the Americans and the Europeans
(b) money and society
(c) age against youth
(d) war and peace
5. Why does Winterbourne offer his arm to Daisy?
(a) to escort her to the concierge
(b) to escort her to the boat landing
(c) to escort her to her room
(d) to escort her to his aunt's room
6. Why is Winterbourne a bit uncomfortable waiting for Daisy?
(a) he feels over dressed
(b) his aunt might come down
(c) maybe she won't come
(d) everyone can see them meet
7. Given the chance to row off in the night with Winterbourne, what action indicates Daisy might not be as loose as people think?
(a) she decides she would rather they all go in and eat
(b) she kisses Winterbourne on the mouth and walks off
(c) she opts to return to the hotel with her family
(d) she refuses to make up her mind
8. What is Winterbourne's impression of himself?
(a) grinning from ear to ear
(b) waiting for her to speak first
(c) interested in the direction of the castle
(d) embarrassed to be with her
9. How does Henry James describe Mrs. Miller?
(a) overweight with a prominent nose
(b) hawk-like and narrow of forehead
(c) small and spare with a wandering eye
(d) large and elegant
10. What does Daisy say she has always had?
(a) a closet full of Paris dresses
(b) an ability to meet strangers
(c) a great deal of gentlemen's society
(d) a distaste for all things European
11. What does Miss Featherstone ask Daisy about Americans?
(a) if they have schools
(b) if they are all rich
(c) if they eat hotdogs for breakfast
(d) if they all live in hotels
12. How does Mrs. Costello see Daisy?
(a) as stupid and unstylish
(b) as arrogant
(c) as coarse and a flirt
(d) as a gold digger
13. Where does Daisy's brother say his father is?
(a) in California, USA
(b) a better place than Europe
(c) upstairs in their hotel room
(d) doing buisness in Rome
14. What surprises Winterbourne during the discussion about Chillon with Daisy's mother?
(a) suggesting that Daisy should not go
(b) suggesting that she accompany them
(c) suggesting that Daisy go alone
(d) suggesting that Randolph go with them
15. What is Winterbourne's frame of mind as Daisy goes inside?
Short Answer Questions
1. What circumstance about Winterbourne does Mrs. Costello think makes him naive about girls like Daisy?
2. Why does Daisy think they send all the pretty dresses from France to America?
3. What does Daisy realize from Winterbourne's excuses about his aunt?
4. Why does Winterbourne not visit his aunt in the hotel?
5. What are Americans seen as failing to do?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)