|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do they meet where he is waiting?
(a) he cannot go up to her room
(b) Daisy's mother is in the back garden
(c) Randolph hates the main hall
(d) Daisy made the arrangement
2. What does Winterbourne say his function is for the trip to Chillon Castle?
(a) baggage handler
3. What does Daisy ask Winterbourne if he would do?
(a) stop talking to her mother
(b) take her out in a boat
(c) take her out dancing
(d) drive her to Geneva
4. What habit of Randolph's is a great worry to his mother and Daisy?
(a) he talks too much
(b) he goes around breaking things
(c) he doesn't sleep
(d) he will only listen to the courier
5. What shocks Mrs. Costello when Winterbourne tells her where he was all afternoon?
(a) that the courier stayed out of sight
(b) that he was alone with Daisy
(c) that Mrs. Miller went with them on the steamer
(d) that he nearly fell from the steamer
6. What is a young American named Winterbourne doing in Vevey, Switzerland?
(a) taking the hot baths
(b) writing a book
(c) going to school
(d) visiting his aunt
7. What is the mystery of the novel?
(a) who the woman in Geneva is
(b) where Daisy was born
(c) where Mr. Miller is
(d) the truth about Daisy's innocence
8. What seems to disappoint Daisy?
(a) that Winterbourne doesn't make a fuss
(b) that Winterbourne walks away
(c) that Winterbourne throws a tantrum
(d) that Winterbourne keeps his mouth shut
9. What is Winterbourne's frame of mind as Daisy goes inside?
10. What does Daisy represent in the novel?
(a) American madness
(b) the power of money
(c) innocence or the appearance of it
11. What theme of the novel runs through much of Henry James' novels?
(a) tension between the Americans and the Europeans
(b) age against youth
(c) money and society
(d) war and peace
12. What does Winterbourne conclude when he thinks he can spend time alone with Daisy?
(a) that Daisy is teasing him and it will never happen
(b) that Daisy is not as innocent as she looks
(c) that Daisy is too innocent to know what she's doing
(d) that Daisy's mother will relent and go with them
13. What does Winterbourne conclude he would deucedly enjoy?
(a) pushing Daisy into the lake
(b) pulling Mrs. Miller's hair
(c) going off with Daisy
(d) kicking Eugenio
14. What is Winterbourne's reason for being attracted to Daisy?
(a) she is wonderfully pretty
(b) she is an excellent conversationalist
(c) she is obviously a rich girl
(d) she has no morals whatsoever
15. What did a lady tell Mrs. Miller about local castles?
(a) to be sure and see them all
(b) they are better than those in Italy
(c) not to waste time seeing them
(d) they cost too much to visit
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daisy say about his grin?
2. What is Daisy's response when Eugenio asks if she intends to go alone?
3. What does Daisy say she hopes Winterbourne feels as she goes inside with her mother?
4. In Mrs. Costello's opinion, what may well-bred young ladies not do?
5. What bargain does Daisy strike to stop teasing Winterbourne?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)