|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Mrs. Costello done after seeing the Millers in the hotel?
(a) had a migraine headache
(b) sent them an invitation to tea
(c) kept out of their way
(d) introduced herself
2. What is Winterbourne's suggestion to Daisy?
(a) that they entertain her younger brother
(b) that they take a train trip to Geneva
(c) that they have dinner together that evening
(d) that they visit the Chillon Castle together
3. Why will it be easy for Winterbourne to visit Daisy in Rome?
(a) his aunt has an apartment where and he is planning to go
(b) he can transfer his job to Rome whenever he wishes
(c) he will have holiday time while she is in Rome
(d) his job often takes him to Rome and Paris
4. Why do they meet where he is waiting?
(a) Daisy made the arrangement
(b) Daisy's mother is in the back garden
(c) he cannot go up to her room
(d) Randolph hates the main hall
5. What does Daisy accuse her mother of doing?
(a) poking around
(b) hiding from Randolph
(c) making a scene
(d) looking for gentlemen
6. What is a central clash in the novel?
(a) men versus women
(b) American versus European culture
(c) style versus garrishness
(d) youth versus age
7. What is the irony of Mrs. Costello's attitude?
(a) she was once just like Daisy before she married
(b) she is looked down on by Europeans herself
(c) she is American, too, and her grandaughters are like Daisy
(d) she judges Daisy without ever having met her
8. What does Daisy say she hopes Winterbourne feels as she goes inside with her mother?
(a) impatience, grief, or confusion
(b) relieved, happy, or over joyed
(c) disappointed, or disgusted, or something
(d) angry, insulted, or back handed
9. What bargain does Daisy strike to stop teasing Winterbourne?
(a) that he take her dancing that evening
(b) that he come see her in Rome
(c) that he write letters to her from Geneva
(d) that he return to the hotel before she leaves for Rome
10. Who speaks from out of the shadows?
(b) Mrs. Costello
(d) the concierge
11. What could Daisy not say when introducing Winterbourne to her mother?
(a) how old he is
(b) where he is from
(c) his full name
(d) how long she has known him
12. What about Daisy is most intriguing to Winterbourne?
(a) the cut of her clothes
(b) the mystery of her wealth
(c) the way she walks
(d) the mystery of her character
13. How does Eugenio react on hearing that Daisy is going to Chillon Castle with Winterbourne?
(a) glad to be relieved of watching her
(b) afraid that Mrs. Miller will fire him
(c) upset that he has to deal with the younger brother
(d) openly showing his disapproval
14. What is Winterbourne's frame of mind as Daisy goes inside?
15. What does not seem to concern Winterbourne?
(a) Daisy's wardrobe.
(b) Daisy's failure to fit into society
(c) Daisy's treatment of Eugenio.
(d) Daisy's younger brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Winterbourne say he must return to Geneva?
2. What does Daisy say her mother doesn't like?
3. How does Daisy seem to Winterbourne during the trip?
4. What does Winterbourne say he was doing while not talking with Daisy?
5. What shocks Mrs. Costello when Winterbourne tells her where he was all afternoon?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)