|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bargain does Daisy strike to stop teasing Winterbourne?
(a) that he take her dancing that evening
(b) that he return to the hotel before she leaves for Rome
(c) that he write letters to her from Geneva
(d) that he come see her in Rome
2. What does Daisy ask Winterbourne if he would do?
(a) stop talking to her mother
(b) take her out in a boat
(c) drive her to Geneva
(d) take her out dancing
3. What is Winterbourne's suggestion to Daisy?
(a) that they take a train trip to Geneva
(b) that they visit the Chillon Castle together
(c) that they have dinner together that evening
(d) that they entertain her younger brother
4. What appears to be a double standard involving Winterbourne and his judgment of Daisy's morals?
(a) his eye for all the pretty ladies
(b) his attitude toward servants
(c) his pursuit of her although thinking her coarse
(d) his own relationship in Geneva
5. What shocks Mrs. Costello when Winterbourne tells her where he was all afternoon?
(a) that the courier stayed out of sight
(b) that he nearly fell from the steamer
(c) that he was alone with Daisy
(d) that Mrs. Miller went with them on the steamer
6. How is Daisy dressed as she comes down the stairs?
(a) in a pair of pants and a blouse
(b) in jeans and a T-shirt
(c) in a revealing sun dress
(d) in an elegant traveling costume
7. What does Daisy say she hopes Winterbourne feels as she goes inside with her mother?
(a) angry, insulted, or back handed
(b) impatience, grief, or confusion
(c) relieved, happy, or over joyed
(d) disappointed, or disgusted, or something
8. What did a lady tell Mrs. Miller about local castles?
(a) not to waste time seeing them
(b) to be sure and see them all
(c) they cost too much to visit
(d) they are better than those in Italy
9. How does Daisy react to his departure news?
(a) she doesn't respond
(b) she's happy to see him go
(c) she laughs at him
(d) she thinks he's horrid
10. What does Winterbourne say his function is for the trip to Chillon Castle?
(a) baggage handler
11. Where does Daisy's brother say his father is?
(a) a better place than Europe
(b) upstairs in their hotel room
(c) in California, USA
(d) doing buisness in Rome
12. What is the opinion of the locals and certain hotel guests about the Millers?
(a) they are polished and too superior for the locals
(b) they are brash, uneducated, and uncultivated
(c) they are too hard to get to know
(d) they are accepted because of their money
13. How does Daisy seem to Winterbourne during the trip?
(a) a mixture of sophistication and barbarianism
(b) a mixture of youth and old age
(c) a mixture of innocence and crudity
(d) a mixture of elegance and rustic behavior
14. Why does Winterbourne not visit his aunt in the hotel?
(a) she has a gentleman caller
(b) she is out shopping
(c) she is ill and not receiving visitors
(d) she has gone unexpectedly to Rome
15. What does Daisy say she has always had?
(a) a great deal of gentlemen's society
(b) a distaste for all things European
(c) a closet full of Paris dresses
(d) an ability to meet strangers
Short Answer Questions
1. What in Daisy's action indicates that she does not anticipate doing?
2. What does Daisy accuse her mother of doing?
3. What does Eugenio suggest to Daisy?
4. What are Americans seen as failing to do?
5. What does Miss Featherstone ask Daisy about Americans?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)