|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Daisy suspect about Winterbourne's return to Geneva?
(a) he likes to break hearts
(b) he wants to get away from her
(c) he's bored with her company
(d) he has a girlfriend there
2. Under other circumstances, what might make Daisy acceptable to European society?
(a) her willingness to give generously and her appearance
(b) her education and the fact that she is beautiful
(c) her good taste in clothes and her descrition about men
(d) her financial situation and the fact that she dresses in perfection
3. What secretly pleases Winterbourne?
(a) that no men try to speak to her
(b) that people look at how pretty she is
(c) that she doesn't look at any men
(d) that she makes such a spectacle of herself
4. What did a lady tell Mrs. Miller about local castles?
(a) not to waste time seeing them
(b) to be sure and see them all
(c) they cost too much to visit
(d) they are better than those in Italy
5. What habit does Daisy have that is different from European girls?
(a) she keeps her eyes down and never looks at anyone
(b) she looks people directly in the eye without blushing
(c) she laughs loudly and calls attention to herself
(d) she holds her nose in the air and is unfriendly
6. Why does Vevey appear to be more relaxed in social values than in other parts of Europe?
(a) because of its international flavor
(b) because of its tolerant religion
(c) because of its higher level of education
(d) because of its isolation
7. What is the irony of Mrs. Costello's attitude?
(a) she was once just like Daisy before she married
(b) she is looked down on by Europeans herself
(c) she judges Daisy without ever having met her
(d) she is American, too, and her grandaughters are like Daisy
8. Why does Winterbourne offer his arm to Daisy?
(a) to escort her to the concierge
(b) to escort her to the boat landing
(c) to escort her to her room
(d) to escort her to his aunt's room
9. What does not seem to concern Winterbourne?
(a) Daisy's wardrobe.
(b) Daisy's failure to fit into society
(c) Daisy's treatment of Eugenio.
(d) Daisy's younger brother.
10. How does Winterbourne feel about the sail to the castle?
(a) like a tiresome way to travel
(b) like a boy with a new toy
(c) like a fish in a bowl
(d) like an escapade or adventure
11. What bothers Winterbourne about Daisy's attitude toward the courier?
(a) the familiarity
(b) the formality
(c) the antagonism
(d) the condescension
12. What does Daisy realize from Winterbourne's excuses about his aunt?
(a) that he has not spoken to his aunt
(b) that he doesn't really have an aunt in the hotel
(c) that she is very ill
(d) that she doesn't want to meet Daisy
13. What does Daisy ask Winterbourne if he would do?
(a) take her out in a boat
(b) stop talking to her mother
(c) drive her to Geneva
(d) take her out dancing
14. How much time passes between Winterbourne's first meeting Daisy and their trip to the castle?
(a) a fortnight
(b) a week
(c) one day
(d) two days
15. What surprises Winterbourne during the discussion about Chillon with Daisy's mother?
(a) suggesting that she accompany them
(b) suggesting that Daisy go alone
(c) suggesting that Daisy should not go
(d) suggesting that Randolph go with them
Short Answer Questions
1. What appears to be a double standard involving Winterbourne and his judgment of Daisy's morals?
2. What do the Millers do with Eugenio that the Europeans do not understand?
3. What does Daisy accuse Winterbourne of?
4. How does Daisy want to go?
5. In Mrs. Costello's opinion, what may well-bred young ladies not do?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)