|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Americans seen as failing to do?
(a) learning european languages
(b) properly appreciate Europe's ancient charms
(c) eat with the right utensils
(d) speak loudly in public
2. What does Daisy realize from Winterbourne's excuses about his aunt?
(a) that she doesn't want to meet Daisy
(b) that she is very ill
(c) that he doesn't really have an aunt in the hotel
(d) that he has not spoken to his aunt
3. How does Daisy react to his departure news?
(a) she laughs at him
(b) she thinks he's horrid
(c) she doesn't respond
(d) she's happy to see him go
4. What is symbolized by the ruins of the Chillon Castle?
(a) Europe's immobile economy
(b) the inferiority of Europeans
(c) the decay of Europe
(d) Europe's cultural heritage
5. What is Winterbourne's reason for being attracted to Daisy?
(a) she has no morals whatsoever
(b) she is wonderfully pretty
(c) she is an excellent conversationalist
(d) she is obviously a rich girl
6. What is the opinion of the locals and certain hotel guests about the Millers?
(a) they are brash, uneducated, and uncultivated
(b) they are too hard to get to know
(c) they are polished and too superior for the locals
(d) they are accepted because of their money
7. Why does Daisy think they send all the pretty dresses from France to America?
(a) there are no dress shops in Europe
(b) they don't wear dresses in Europe
(c) only Americans can afford them
(d) the ones in Europe are frightful
8. Why does Vevey appear to be more relaxed in social values than in other parts of Europe?
(a) because of its isolation
(b) because of its higher level of education
(c) because of its tolerant religion
(d) because of its international flavor
9. How does Winterbourne want to travel to the castle?
(a) by bicycle
(b) in a carriage
(c) in a row boat
(d) in a motor car
10. What does not seem to concern Winterbourne?
(a) Daisy's wardrobe.
(b) Daisy's treatment of Eugenio.
(c) Daisy's younger brother.
(d) Daisy's failure to fit into society
11. Who does Mrs. Costello say would never behave the way Daisy does?
(a) French debutantes
(b) her granddaughters
(c) Swiss girls
(d) her friends' daughters
12. What does Daisy Miller tell Winterbourne about her trip?
(a) the different kinds of weather she has seen
(b) all the good shopping since being in Europe
(c) all the bad experiences she has had
(d) the problem she has meeting men
13. How does Daisy want to go?
(a) in a motor car
(b) on foot
(c) by bicycle
(d) by steamer
14. What does Daisy say about her brother?
(a) he is ugly
(b) he is not very bright
(c) he is well behaved
(d) he is tiresome
15. What does Winterbourne say he was doing while not talking with Daisy?
(a) trying to think of something interesting to say
(b) having a pleasant conversation with her mother
(c) looking for a boat to hire
(d) checking to see when the next steamer leaves for Chillon
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks from out of the shadows?
2. Given the chance to row off in the night with Winterbourne, what action indicates Daisy might not be as loose as people think?
3. What time is it when Daisy accepts the invitation to go for a row?
4. What does Winterbourne conclude when he thinks he can spend time alone with Daisy?
5. What was Mrs. Miller unable to do?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)