|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Millers do with Eugenio that the Europeans do not understand?
(a) pay him too much
(b) never take his advice
(c) treat him as family
(d) let him stay in their hotel room
2. What does Daisy say her mother doesn't like?
(a) eathing Swiss food
(b) traveling in Europe
(c) wearing a shawl
(d) any of her gentleman friends
3. What could Daisy not say when introducing Winterbourne to her mother?
(a) how old he is
(b) his full name
(c) how long she has known him
(d) where he is from
4. What are Americans seen as failing to do?
(a) eat with the right utensils
(b) speak loudly in public
(c) properly appreciate Europe's ancient charms
(d) learning european languages
5. Why do Mrs. Costello and the Europeans not need physical proof of Daisy's indiscretions?
(a) what she does in plain view is easy to tell what she does in private
(b) she appears to be pregnant
(c) the gossip is enough to brand her as immoral
(d) she tells on herself
6. How is Daisy dressed as she comes down the stairs?
(a) in a revealing sun dress
(b) in a pair of pants and a blouse
(c) in jeans and a T-shirt
(d) in an elegant traveling costume
7. What does Daisy accuse Winterbourne of?
(a) being grave
(b) being silent
(c) being jealous
(d) being superior
8. Why do they meet where he is waiting?
(a) Randolph hates the main hall
(b) Daisy's mother is in the back garden
(c) he cannot go up to her room
(d) Daisy made the arrangement
9. What time is it when Daisy accepts the invitation to go for a row?
(a) half past ten
(c) eleven o'clock
(d) nearly ten at night
10. How does Daisy react to his departure news?
(a) she thinks he's horrid
(b) she doesn't respond
(c) she's happy to see him go
(d) she laughs at him
11. What is Daisy's response when Eugenio asks if she intends to go alone?
(a) no, she's taking Randolph
(b) yes, she knows how to row
(c) no, with this gentleman
(d) of course, she's a big girl now
12. What surprises Winterbourne during the discussion about Chillon with Daisy's mother?
(a) suggesting that Randolph go with them
(b) suggesting that she accompany them
(c) suggesting that Daisy should not go
(d) suggesting that Daisy go alone
13. What does Winterbourne say he was doing while not talking with Daisy?
(a) looking for a boat to hire
(b) having a pleasant conversation with her mother
(c) checking to see when the next steamer leaves for Chillon
(d) trying to think of something interesting to say
14. What is Winterbourne's frame of mind as Daisy goes inside?
15. What is Winterbourne's reason for being attracted to Daisy?
(a) she has no morals whatsoever
(b) she is wonderfully pretty
(c) she is an excellent conversationalist
(d) she is obviously a rich girl
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Daisy think they send all the pretty dresses from France to America?
2. What is Winterbourne's suggestion to Daisy?
3. What does Daisy say she hopes Winterbourne feels as she goes inside with her mother?
4. What does Daisy ask Winterbourne if he would do?
5. What does Daisy suspect about Winterbourne's return to Geneva?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)