|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What circumstance about Winterbourne does Mrs. Costello think makes him naive about girls like Daisy?
(a) his weakness for anything that wears a skirt
(b) his limited education in Europe
(c) his moving only in the best society
(d) his being away from America for a long time
2. What is the opinion of the locals and certain hotel guests about the Millers?
(a) they are polished and too superior for the locals
(b) they are too hard to get to know
(c) they are accepted because of their money
(d) they are brash, uneducated, and uncultivated
3. Given the chance to row off in the night with Winterbourne, what action indicates Daisy might not be as loose as people think?
(a) she decides she would rather they all go in and eat
(b) she refuses to make up her mind
(c) she opts to return to the hotel with her family
(d) she kisses Winterbourne on the mouth and walks off
4. What theme of the novel runs through much of Henry James' novels?
(a) tension between the Americans and the Europeans
(b) money and society
(c) war and peace
(d) age against youth
5. What does Daisy say her mother doesn't like?
(a) traveling in Europe
(b) eathing Swiss food
(c) wearing a shawl
(d) any of her gentleman friends
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mystery of the novel?
2. What did a lady tell Mrs. Miller about local castles?
3. Where does Daisy's brother say his father is?
4. Why is Winterbourne a bit uncomfortable waiting for Daisy?
5. How does Henry James describe Mrs. Miller?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)