|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry James describe Mrs. Miller?
(a) large and elegant
(b) overweight with a prominent nose
(c) small and spare with a wandering eye
(d) hawk-like and narrow of forehead
2. How does Daisy react to his departure news?
(a) she doesn't respond
(b) she thinks he's horrid
(c) she laughs at him
(d) she's happy to see him go
3. What theme of the novel runs through much of Henry James' novels?
(a) war and peace
(b) money and society
(c) age against youth
(d) tension between the Americans and the Europeans
4. What is a young American named Winterbourne doing in Vevey, Switzerland?
(a) taking the hot baths
(b) visiting his aunt
(c) going to school
(d) writing a book
5. Given the chance to row off in the night with Winterbourne, what action indicates Daisy might not be as loose as people think?
(a) she refuses to make up her mind
(b) she kisses Winterbourne on the mouth and walks off
(c) she decides she would rather they all go in and eat
(d) she opts to return to the hotel with her family
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Winterbourne not visit his aunt in the hotel?
2. Why do Mrs. Costello and the Europeans not need physical proof of Daisy's indiscretions?
3. What is Winterbourne's frame of mind as Daisy goes inside?
4. What circumstance about Winterbourne does Mrs. Costello think makes him naive about girls like Daisy?
5. What is the opinion of the locals and certain hotel guests about the Millers?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)