|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a central clash in the novel?
(a) men versus women
(b) youth versus age
(c) American versus European culture
(d) style versus garrishness
2. What does Daisy represent in the novel?
(a) innocence or the appearance of it
(b) American madness
(d) the power of money
3. How does Henry James describe Mrs. Miller?
(a) small and spare with a wandering eye
(b) large and elegant
(c) overweight with a prominent nose
(d) hawk-like and narrow of forehead
4. Who does Winterbourne meet outside the hotel?
(a) friends of his from his school days
(b) his aunt's frequent gentleman caller
(c) the Miller family of Schenectady, New York
(d) a tour group from America
5. What is Winterbourne's impression of himself?
(a) waiting for her to speak first
(b) grinning from ear to ear
(c) interested in the direction of the castle
(d) embarrassed to be with her
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mrs. Miller unable to do?
2. What does Daisy say about her brother?
3. What time is it when Daisy accepts the invitation to go for a row?
4. In Mrs. Costello's opinion, what may well-bred young ladies not do?
5. What did a lady tell Mrs. Miller about local castles?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)