|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What appears to be a double standard involving Winterbourne and his judgment of Daisy's morals?
(a) his own relationship in Geneva
(b) his attitude toward servants
(c) his pursuit of her although thinking her coarse
(d) his eye for all the pretty ladies
2. Given the chance to row off in the night with Winterbourne, what action indicates Daisy might not be as loose as people think?
(a) she opts to return to the hotel with her family
(b) she refuses to make up her mind
(c) she decides she would rather they all go in and eat
(d) she kisses Winterbourne on the mouth and walks off
3. What theme of the novel runs through much of Henry James' novels?
(a) tension between the Americans and the Europeans
(b) age against youth
(c) money and society
(d) war and peace
4. What are Americans seen as failing to do?
(a) properly appreciate Europe's ancient charms
(b) learning european languages
(c) speak loudly in public
(d) eat with the right utensils
5. Why do Mrs. Costello and the Europeans not need physical proof of Daisy's indiscretions?
(a) she appears to be pregnant
(b) what she does in plain view is easy to tell what she does in private
(c) the gossip is enough to brand her as immoral
(d) she tells on herself
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocks Mrs. Costello when Winterbourne tells her where he was all afternoon?
2. What does Daisy do inside the castle?
3. When does Winterbourne say he must return to Geneva?
4. What does Miss Featherstone ask Daisy about Americans?
5. Where does Winterbourne wait for Daisy to join him for the trip to the castle?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)