|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What theme of the novel runs through much of Henry James' novels?
(a) age against youth
(b) money and society
(c) war and peace
(d) tension between the Americans and the Europeans
2. What does Daisy say her mother doesn't like?
(a) eathing Swiss food
(b) any of her gentleman friends
(c) traveling in Europe
(d) wearing a shawl
3. What did a lady tell Mrs. Miller about local castles?
(a) not to waste time seeing them
(b) they cost too much to visit
(c) they are better than those in Italy
(d) to be sure and see them all
4. What does Daisy realize from Winterbourne's excuses about his aunt?
(a) that he doesn't really have an aunt in the hotel
(b) that she is very ill
(c) that he has not spoken to his aunt
(d) that she doesn't want to meet Daisy
5. What is a central clash in the novel?
(a) men versus women
(b) style versus garrishness
(c) youth versus age
(d) American versus European culture
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Daisy think they send all the pretty dresses from France to America?
2. What does Daisy accuse her mother of doing?
3. What does Eugenio suggest to Daisy?
4. What does not seem to concern Winterbourne?
5. What does the brother say Daisy's real name is?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)