|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mother in such a good mood in this memory?
2. What does Da bring into the living room in the present memory?
3. With whom had Charlie had a conversation about moving Da when he was ill?
4. As a result of her father's death, Mrs. Prynne is _____________________.
5. Why is Charlie going away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
DA is a classic story of coming to terms with your past. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Da and Drumm. Both men want influence over Charlie but have their hold on him in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of married women in Ireland in the early 20th century. Why was Mother not given the freedom to marry the boy she loved? What precedents was she forced to follow? Explain why her lack of choice affected her marriage and life.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)