|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what disease was Da suffering?
2. What does Da comment about the papers Charlie is taking with him?
3. Why is Charlie going away?
4. What does Charlie call Da when he offers Charlie a handkerchief?
5. What does Da do when Mother says she always preferred Ernie to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Leonard is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of married women in Ireland in the early 20th century. Why was Mother not given the freedom to marry the boy she loved? What precedents was she forced to follow? Explain why her lack of choice affected her marriage and life.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)