|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mother do after Charlie leaves to get married?
2. Who is the woman who appears to Young Charlie in Act 2, Part 2?
3. What is Charlie's condition at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
4. Which of the following does Da not do at the end of the play?
5. Why is Charlie now mad at Da?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of married women in Ireland in the early 20th century. Why was Mother not given the freedom to marry the boy she loved? What precedents was she forced to follow? Explain why her lack of choice affected her marriage and life.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the play and write a brief synopsis for Charlie's life. Will Da still be such a powerful presence in his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
DA is a classic story of coming to terms with your past. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)