|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Drumm says that Da may have been ignorant but ______________________.
2. What memento does Mrs. Prynne give Charlie?
3. Which of the following does Drumm not say that Charlie has?
4. From where has Charlie just come?
5. How does Mother bid Charlie goodbye?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Da and Drumm. Both men want influence over Charlie but have their hold on him in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of married women in Ireland in the early 20th century. Why was Mother not given the freedom to marry the boy she loved? What precedents was she forced to follow? Explain why her lack of choice affected her marriage and life.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the play and write a brief synopsis for Charlie's life. Will Da still be such a powerful presence in his life? Explain.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)