|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mother think that Da ruined Young Charlie's chances for a job?
2. What does Oliver ask Charlie before leaving?
3. What is the reason for Young Charlie's letter?
4. How long has it been since Charlie and Oliver have seen each other?
5. Da says that there will be plenty of jobs when ____________ takes over.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlie injure his hand on the glasses sculpture?
2. What does Da tell Charlie about his birth mother which is different from what his aunt has been telling him?
3. To what realization about love does Charlie arrive?
4. What has become of the spectacles sculpture?
5. What does the melted sunglasses sculpture symbolize?
6. Describe the fight between Charlie's parents after Mother runs into an old friend who is married to the man Mother had loved.
7. How does Young Charlie make his first appearance in the play?
8. For what reason did Da use the checks Charlie had sent him?
9. What is "an Irishwoman's death"?
10. How does the author use the lighthouse as a metaphor in this scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Mother. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Mother?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Not being able to escape the past is an important theme in DA. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)