|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Oliver want Young Charlie to go with him?
2. In what country does DA take place?
3. Where was Charlie when his father died?
4. What does Mother explain to Young Charlie about her life?
5. Charlie confronts Da, asking why he hadn't ever ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Act 2, Part 2 end?
2. Explain the metaphor of Charlie's hurting himself on the glasses sculpture.
3. How long has it been since Charlie and Oliver have seen each other and what do they talk about?
4. Who is Mary and what does Charlie tell Da about her?
5. Describe Young Charlie's romantic overtures toward Mary.
6. How does Act 2, Part 1 begin?
7. What does Da do when he appears the second time in the scene?
8. How does Da make his first appearance in the play?
9. What is the main theme of the play and how is it exhibited for Charlie?
10. How does Charlie end the encounter with Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the play and write a brief synopsis for the lives of four of the characters. Remember to exclude Joe and Lorna but you may choose from any of the others.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the play and write a brief synopsis for Charlie's life. Will Da still be such a powerful presence in his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the play's title? Why wasn't it called CHARLIE? What are some other possible titles for the play? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)