|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first memory of Act 1, Part 4 what childhood memory does Charlie have?
2. Drumm tells Young Charlie that __________ are harder to get out of than get into.
3. What ritual does Da have trouble with?
4. Da tells Charlie that he never told him _______________.
5. What does Charlie remind Young Charlie about Drumm?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason did Da use the checks Charlie had sent him?
2. What begins to emerge about Da's character in Act 2, Part 2?
3. How do Drumm and Charlie's parents disagree on the best place for Charlie to find a job?
4. How does Young Charlie make his first appearance in the play?
5. Why is the memory of Charlie having the memory regarding his birth mother so significant?
6. How does Mary change in Charlie's eyes?
7. It has been presented that maybe Charlie had not been interested in caring for his dying father. How is that perception changed in this act?
8. How long has it been since Charlie and Oliver have seen each other and what do they talk about?
9. Why does Charlie consider Da to be a millstone around his neck?
10. How does Charlie end the encounter with Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the play and write a brief synopsis for Charlie's life. Will Da still be such a powerful presence in his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Mother. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Mother?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Charlie. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Charlie?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)