Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary tell Young Charlie after Da leaves?
2. Da says that there will be plenty of jobs when ____________ takes over.
3. In what country does DA take place?
4. How does Adult Charlie realize his Mother and Da expressed their love?
5. What is the name of the man Mother had loved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Young Charlie overhear and how does he react to it?
2. Why does Charlie become angry at Da for not taking the money he had sent him?
3. How does the subject of Charlie's birth mother come up in Act 1, Part 4?
4. How does the author use the lighthouse as a metaphor in this scene?
5. Explain the metaphor of Charlie's hurting himself on the glasses sculpture.
6. How does Da make his first appearance in the play?
7. What is the nature of the letter Young Charlie is writing and why does his mother not like it?
8. From whose point of view are the memory scenes told?
9. What does the melted sunglasses sculpture symbolize?
10. What is the main theme of the play and how is it exhibited for Charlie?
Essay Topic 1
Does Leonard end the play on a note of hope for Charlie or the continuance of his struggle to come to terms with his flawed relationship with Da? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Leonard is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)