|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mother reveal to Drumm which is overheard by Young Charlie?
2. Drumm tells Young Charlie that __________ are harder to get out of than get into.
3. When does Mary begin to respond positively to Young Charlie?
4. Who does Charlie say told him that what Da said about Charlie's birth mother wasn't true?
5. How long has it been since Charlie and Oliver have seen each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Drumm come to the house to see Young Charlie?
2. Why is the memory of Charlie having the memory regarding his birth mother so significant?
3. What information does Young Charlie overhear and how does he react to it?
4. Why does Charlie become angry at Da for not taking the money he had sent him?
5. How do Drumm and Charlie's parents disagree on the best place for Charlie to find a job?
6. For what reason did Da use the checks Charlie had sent him?
7. What does Charlie learn about how his parents came to be married?
8. What does Drumm bring to the house for Charlie and how does Charlie respond?
9. What foreshadowing does the author use regarding Da's intention for his legacy?
10. How do Young Charlie and Da differ in their responses to the legacy Da received?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Charlie had always thought his Da to be cheap to a fault. What does Charlie learn about Da that changes his perspective of him during the play? What was going on in Da's life as a boy and young man that influenced his life and the choices he made about money? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Not being able to escape the past is an important theme in DA. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)