|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mary doing when Young Charlie and Oliver appear?
2. Where was Charlie when his father died?
3. Charlie confronts Da, asking why he hadn't ever ____________________.
4. Da tells Charlie that he never told him _______________.
5. What does Charlie tell Da about Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author's purpose for including this brief scene with Mary, Young Charlie and Da?
2. How long has it been since Charlie and Oliver have seen each other and what do they talk about?
3. How does the author use the lighthouse as a metaphor in this scene?
4. What memory does Charlie have of Drumm and what was the state of their relationship?
5. What is Da's legacy from the Master?
6. Describe Young Charlie's romantic overtures toward Mary.
7. How does Charlie end the encounter with Mary?
8. What begins to emerge about Da's character in Act 2, Part 2?
9. Explain the metaphor of Charlie's hurting himself on the glasses sculpture.
10. To what realization about love does Charlie arrive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leonard is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Da. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Da?
Essay Topic 3
Regret seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of regret? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)