|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Da begged for a job to get money for __________________.
2. What does Mary say she will do with Young Charlie?
3. Why has Oliver stopped at Charlie's father's house?
4. What is Young Charlie determined to do?
5. In the first memory of Act 1, Part 4 what childhood memory does Charlie have?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what realization about love does Charlie arrive?
2. What begins to emerge about Da's character in Act 2, Part 2?
3. How does Young Charlie make his first appearance in the play?
4. How does Act 2, Part 3 begin?
5. Describe the conversation Charlie had with Da when Da was in his final days, suffering from dementia.
6. What does Charlie learn about how his parents came to be married?
7. What does Da tell Charlie about his birth mother which is different from what his aunt has been telling him?
8. For what reason did Da use the checks Charlie had sent him?
9. How does Da change the course of Charlie's overtures toward Mary?
10. How does the subject of Charlie's birth mother come up in Act 1, Part 4?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in DA. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most Irish families living during the mid-20th century?
Essay Topic 3
Leonard is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,640 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)