|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The last thing Young Charlie wanted was ______________________.
2. Charlie comments that Young Charlie never _________________.
3. How did Mother respond to Da's marriage proposal?
4. What does Young Charlie do when he hears that he was adopted?
5. Why does Mother take the letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long has it been since Charlie and Oliver have seen each other and what do they talk about?
2. What is the author's purpose for including this brief scene with Mary, Young Charlie and Da?
3. Why do Oliver's plans differ from Charlie's once Charlie sees Mary sitting on a bench reading?
4. How does Act 2, Part 4 end?
5. What does Charlie learn about himself and the things for which he always blamed Da?
6. Explain the metaphor of Charlie's hurting himself on the glasses sculpture.
7. What does Da tell Charlie about his birth mother which is different from what his aunt has been telling him?
8. How does Mary change in Charlie's eyes?
9. What information does Young Charlie overhear and how does he react to it?
10. Who is Mrs. Prynne and why has she come to see Da in Act 2, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
DA is a classic story of coming to terms with your past. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting setting for the play? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Leonard choose to use these places in the drama?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in DA. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most Irish families living during the mid-20th century?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)