Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary tell Young Charlie after Da leaves?
2. Da says that there will be plenty of jobs when ____________ takes over.
3. In what country does DA take place?
4. How does Adult Charlie realize his Mother and Da expressed their love?
5. What is the name of the man Mother had loved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Young Charlie overhear and how does he react to it?
2. Why does Charlie become angry at Da for not taking the money he had sent him?
3. How does the subject of Charlie's birth mother come up in Act 1, Part 4?
4. How does the author use the lighthouse as a metaphor in this scene?
5. Explain the metaphor of Charlie's hurting himself on the glasses sculpture.
6. How does Da make his first appearance in the play?
7. What is the nature of the letter Young Charlie is writing and why does his mother not like it?
8. From whose point of view are the memory scenes told?
9. What does the melted sunglasses sculpture symbolize?
10. What is the main theme of the play and how is it exhibited for Charlie?
Regret seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of regret? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Explain the ongoing conflict between Charlie and Da. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Charlie learn about the reality of his life with Da as opposed to the perceptions he has held for so long?
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)