|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Mary call Young Charlie?
2. How many sons did Drumm have?
3. What is the theme of DA as dramatized in Act 1, Part 1?
4. What question does Charlie ask himself about his Mother?
5. Why does Mother not like Young Charlie's letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Da do when he appears the second time in the scene?
2. What has become of the spectacles sculpture?
3. Why is the memory of Charlie having the memory regarding his birth mother so significant?
4. Describe how Da and Mother say goodbye to Young Charlie.
5. What is the main theme of the play and how is it exhibited for Charlie?
6. Describe Young Charlie's romantic overtures toward Mary.
7. What two revelations about Da come to Charlie in this act?
8. What does the melted sunglasses sculpture symbolize?
9. Describe the accusations that fly between Charlie and Young Charlie.
10. What begins to emerge about Da's character in Act 2, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting setting for the play? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Leonard choose to use these places in the drama?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)