|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Charlie as the play opens?
2. In the first memory of Act 1, Part 4 what childhood memory does Charlie have?
3. Who takes the letter from Young Charlie?
4. Which girl always believed that Oliver would be a great man?
5. What does Oliver ask Charlie before leaving?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what realization about love does Charlie arrive?
2. How does Mary change in Charlie's eyes?
3. What does Drumm bring to the house for Charlie and how does Charlie respond?
4. How long has it been since Charlie and Oliver have seen each other and what do they talk about?
5. How does the author provide some context for Da's anger at Mother to help the reader better understand him as a person?
6. How does Charlie injure his hand on the glasses sculpture?
7. How does Act 2, Part 2 end?
8. What ulterior motive does Oliver have for coming to see Charlie after his Da died?
9. What does Da tell Charlie about his birth mother which is different from what his aunt has been telling him?
10. What advice does Drumm give Young Charlie on the job he offers him?
Essay Topic 1
Explain Leonard's use of symbolism and imagery in the play as related to the sunglasses sculpture. What does the sculpture represent? Which characters are especially affected by the sculpture and what does it mean to them?
Essay Topic 2
DA is a classic story of coming to terms with your past. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the play and write a brief synopsis for Charlie's life. Will Da still be such a powerful presence in his life? Explain.
This section contains 1,644 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)