|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Young Charlie make a very good impression with Drumm?
2. What question does Charlie ask himself about his Mother?
3. How long has it been since Charlie and Oliver have seen each other?
4. What is the reason for Young Charlie's letter?
5. Who is Charlie's younger self in the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use the lighthouse as a metaphor in this scene?
2. What is the significance of the dementia scene with Charlie and Da?
3. What charges does Young Charlie level at Adult Charlie about the way his life turned out?
4. Describe how Da and Mother say goodbye to Young Charlie.
5. What is the nature of the letter Young Charlie is writing and why does his mother not like it?
6. How does the author provide some context for Da's anger at Mother to help the reader better understand him as a person?
7. What does the melted sunglasses sculpture symbolize?
8. What does Charlie learn about himself and the things for which he always blamed Da?
9. To what realization about love does Charlie arrive?
10. What does Charlie learn about how his parents came to be married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting setting for the play? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Leonard choose to use these places in the drama?
Essay Topic 2
Charlie had always thought his Da to be cheap to a fault. What does Charlie learn about Da that changes his perspective of him during the play? What was going on in Da's life as a boy and young man that influenced his life and the choices he made about money? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Da. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Da?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)