|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Young Charlie decide to do instead of going out with Mary?
2. Where does Oliver want Young Charlie to go with him?
3. What does Charlie feel keeps him from being successful?
4. Who appears with Charlie at the beginning of Act 1, Part 3?
5. What does Charlie say that Da had been for all of Charlie's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Da make his first appearance in the play?
2. What ulterior motive does Oliver have for coming to see Charlie after his Da died?
3. What does Charlie learn about himself and the things for which he always blamed Da?
4. How does Mother take control of Charlie's letter writing?
5. Describe the accusations that fly between Charlie and Young Charlie.
6. What foreshadowing does the author use regarding Da's intention for his legacy?
7. What advice does Drumm give Young Charlie on the job he offers him?
8. What personal advice does Drumm give Charlie about his life?
9. What is the author's purpose for including this brief scene with Mary, Young Charlie and Da?
10. How does Mary change in Charlie's eyes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the play's title? Why wasn't it called CHARLIE? What are some other possible titles for the play? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Mother. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Mother?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the play and write a brief synopsis for Charlie's life. Will Da still be such a powerful presence in his life? Explain.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)