|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charlie confronts Da, asking why he hadn't ever ____________________.
2. Who appears just as Young Charlie and Mary are getting to know each other?
3. How does Mary respond to Da's question?
4. Charlie recalls when Drumm had come to give him _______________.
5. Where does Oliver want Young Charlie to go with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mary and what does Charlie tell Da about her?
2. How does the author provide some context for Da's anger at Mother to help the reader better understand him as a person?
3. Describe the fight between Charlie's parents after Mother runs into an old friend who is married to the man Mother had loved.
4. What does Young Charlie represent for Charlie?
5. What does Charlie learn about himself and the things for which he always blamed Da?
6. Describe the accusations that fly between Charlie and Young Charlie.
7. What charges does Young Charlie level at Adult Charlie about the way his life turned out?
8. What personal advice does Drumm give Charlie about his life?
9. How does the play, DA, open?
10. For what reason did Da use the checks Charlie had sent him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
DA is a classic story of coming to terms with your past. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the play's title? Why wasn't it called CHARLIE? What are some other possible titles for the play? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in DA. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most Irish families living during the mid-20th century?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)