|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Charlie when his father died?
2. Which of the following did Da not do while courting Mother?
3. What does Mother explain to Young Charlie about her life?
4. What does Mary do after she says that she doesn't want to know where her father is?
5. What does Mary tell Young Charlie after Da leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Act 2, Part 2 end?
2. Describe the accusations that fly between Charlie and Young Charlie.
3. What memory does Charlie have of Drumm and what was the state of their relationship?
4. What is the significance of the dementia scene with Charlie and Da?
5. Describe the conversation Charlie had with Da when Da was in his final days, suffering from dementia.
6. How does Da change the course of Charlie's overtures toward Mary?
7. How does Act 2, Part 1 begin?
8. How does the author provide some context for Da's anger at Mother to help the reader better understand him as a person?
9. Explain the metaphor of Charlie's hurting himself on the glasses sculpture.
10. How does Da make his first appearance in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charlie had always thought his Da to be cheap to a fault. What does Charlie learn about Da that changes his perspective of him during the play? What was going on in Da's life as a boy and young man that influenced his life and the choices he made about money? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Mother. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Mother?
This section contains 1,709 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)