|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man Mother had loved?
2. Da reappears and talks about the funeral and _________________.
3. Where was Charlie when his father died?
4. Where is Charlie as the play opens?
5. What cannot be said about Da after this scene with Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Act 2, Part 2 end?
2. What is the author's purpose for including this brief scene with Mary, Young Charlie and Da?
3. What advice does Drumm give Young Charlie on the job he offers him?
4. How long has it been since Charlie and Oliver have seen each other and what do they talk about?
5. Why does Charlie become angry at Da for not taking the money he had sent him?
6. What is the main theme of the play and how is it exhibited for Charlie?
7. To what realization about love does Charlie arrive?
8. Describe the accusations that fly between Charlie and Young Charlie.
9. Who is Mrs. Prynne and why has she come to see Da in Act 2, Part 2?
10. How does the author provide some context for Da's anger at Mother to help the reader better understand him as a person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Leonard end the play on a note of hope for Charlie or the continuance of his struggle to come to terms with his flawed relationship with Da? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Not being able to escape the past is an important theme in DA. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the play's title? Why wasn't it called CHARLIE? What are some other possible titles for the play? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)