|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears with Charlie at the beginning of Act 1, Part 3?
2. What does Mother explain to Young Charlie about her life?
3. Drumm's visit with Young Charlie is essentially _____________________.
4. What does Da tell adult Charlie about a particular cliff?
5. How did Mother respond to Da's marriage proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Young Charlie represent for Charlie?
2. How does Act 2, Part 4 end?
3. Describe Young Charlie's romantic overtures toward Mary.
4. To what realization about love does Charlie arrive?
5. How does Act 2, Part 1 begin?
6. From whose point of view are the memory scenes told?
7. Describe the accusations that fly between Charlie and Young Charlie.
8. What ulterior motive does Oliver have for coming to see Charlie after his Da died?
9. How does the play, DA, open?
10. What two revelations about Da come to Charlie in this act?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting setting for the play? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Leonard choose to use these places in the drama?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the ongoing conflict between Charlie and Da. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Charlie learn about the reality of his life with Da as opposed to the perceptions he has held for so long?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the play and write a brief synopsis for Charlie's life. Will Da still be such a powerful presence in his life? Explain.
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)