|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Young Charlie decide to do instead of going out with Mary?
2. What does Mary do after she says that she doesn't want to know where her father is?
3. Who is Charlie's younger self in the play?
4. Why does Mother take the letter?
5. Young Charlie tells Charlie that Mother and Da always _____________ around Drumm.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mary and what does Charlie tell Da about her?
2. How does the play, DA, open?
3. What begins to emerge about Da's character in Act 2, Part 2?
4. What has become of the spectacles sculpture?
5. Describe how Da and Mother say goodbye to Young Charlie.
6. To what realization about love does Charlie arrive?
7. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding the razor blades Charlie gave to Da for Christmas one year?
8. How does Mary change in Charlie's eyes?
9. How does Da make his first appearance in the play?
10. What does the melted sunglasses sculpture symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Leonard's use of symbolism and imagery in the play as related to the sunglasses sculpture. What does the sculpture represent? Which characters are especially affected by the sculpture and what does it mean to them?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of married women in Ireland in the early 20th century. Why was Mother not given the freedom to marry the boy she loved? What precedents was she forced to follow? Explain why her lack of choice affected her marriage and life.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Da. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Da?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)