|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mother tell Da to do with Young Charlie regarding the letter?
2. Where does Drumm suggest that Da and Mother send Young Charlie?
3. What ritual does Da have trouble with?
4. Who appears with Charlie at the beginning of Act 1, Part 3?
5. How does Mary respond to Da's question?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Act 2, Part 3 begin?
2. Describe how Da and Mother say goodbye to Young Charlie.
3. How does the subject of Charlie's birth mother come up in Act 1, Part 4?
4. How does Charlie end the encounter with Mary?
5. What ulterior motive does Oliver have for coming to see Charlie after his Da died?
6. Why does Charlie become angry at Da for not taking the money he had sent him?
7. What does Da do when he appears the second time in the scene?
8. How does the author use the lighthouse as a metaphor in this scene?
9. How do Young Charlie and Da differ in their responses to the legacy Da received?
10. From whose point of view are the memory scenes told?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the play's title? Why wasn't it called CHARLIE? What are some other possible titles for the play? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Leonard's use of symbolism and imagery in the play as related to the sunglasses sculpture. What does the sculpture represent? Which characters are especially affected by the sculpture and what does it mean to them?
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting setting for the play? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Leonard choose to use these places in the drama?
This section contains 1,589 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)