|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Mary call Young Charlie?
2. Young Charlie tells Charlie that Mother and Da always _____________ around Drumm.
3. Mother claimed that Da made a __________ out of Young Charlie.
4. What does Charlie realize after the scene with Mary?
5. How long has it been since Charlie and Oliver have seen each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Act 2, Part 4 end?
2. From whose point of view are the memory scenes told?
3. Why does Charlie consider Da to be a millstone around his neck?
4. How does Act 2, Part 2 end?
5. What does Charlie learn about himself and the things for which he always blamed Da?
6. How does the play, DA, open?
7. What has become of the spectacles sculpture?
8. What advice does Drumm give Young Charlie on the job he offers him?
9. How does Act 2, Part 3 begin?
10. To what realization about love does Charlie arrive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the play and write a brief synopsis for Charlie's life. Will Da still be such a powerful presence in his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the play and write a brief synopsis for the lives of four of the characters. Remember to exclude Joe and Lorna but you may choose from any of the others.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Leonard's use of symbolism and imagery in the play as related to the sunglasses sculpture. What does the sculpture represent? Which characters are especially affected by the sculpture and what does it mean to them?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)