Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary tell Young Charlie after Da leaves?
2. Da says that there will be plenty of jobs when ____________ takes over.
3. In what country does DA take place?
4. How does Adult Charlie realize his Mother and Da expressed their love?
5. What is the name of the man Mother had loved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Young Charlie overhear and how does he react to it?
2. Why does Charlie become angry at Da for not taking the money he had sent him?
3. How does the subject of Charlie's birth mother come up in Act 1, Part 4?
4. How does the author use the lighthouse as a metaphor in this scene?
5. Explain the metaphor of Charlie's hurting himself on the glasses sculpture.
6. How does Da make his first appearance in the play?
7. What is the nature of the letter Young Charlie is writing and why does his mother not like it?
8. From whose point of view are the memory scenes told?
9. What does the melted sunglasses sculpture symbolize?
10. What is the main theme of the play and how is it exhibited for Charlie?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Da and Drumm. Both men want influence over Charlie but have their hold on him in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Leonard's use of symbolism and imagery in the play as related to the sunglasses sculpture. What does the sculpture represent? Which characters are especially affected by the sculpture and what does it mean to them?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Da. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Da?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)