|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had the doctor said when Young Charlie was born?
2. Da says that there will be plenty of jobs when ____________ takes over.
3. What question does Charlie ask himself about his Mother?
4. Who appears with Charlie at the beginning of Act 1, Part 3?
5. Who has recently died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ulterior motive does Oliver have for coming to see Charlie after his Da died?
2. Explain the metaphor of Charlie's hurting himself on the glasses sculpture.
3. What is "an Irishwoman's death"?
4. How does Act 2, Part 1 begin?
5. What begins to emerge about Da's character in Act 2, Part 2?
6. What does Drumm bring to the house for Charlie and how does Charlie respond?
7. Why is the memory of Charlie having the memory regarding his birth mother so significant?
8. How does Act 2, Part 4 end?
9. What memory does Charlie have of Drumm and what was the state of their relationship?
10. What does it mean that Charlie doesn't talk to his Mother like he does to Da and Young Charlie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Charlie. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Charlie?
Essay Topic 2
Not being able to escape the past is an important theme in DA. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the play and write a brief synopsis for the lives of four of the characters. Remember to exclude Joe and Lorna but you may choose from any of the others.
This section contains 1,602 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)