|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary tell Young Charlie after Da leaves?
2. What does Mary do when Young Charlie puts his hand on her knee?
3. What does Charlie call Oliver after Oliver leaves?
4. Which of the following does Charlie not tell Da?
5. Charlie recalls when Drumm had come to give him _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. It has been presented that maybe Charlie had not been interested in caring for his dying father. How is that perception changed in this act?
2. How does Da change the course of Charlie's overtures toward Mary?
3. What does Charlie learn about how his parents came to be married?
4. Describe Young Charlie's romantic overtures toward Mary.
5. How does Young Charlie make his first appearance in the play?
6. Describe the fight between Charlie's parents after Mother runs into an old friend who is married to the man Mother had loved.
7. What is the author's purpose for including this brief scene with Mary, Young Charlie and Da?
8. How does Act 2, Part 1 begin?
9. How does Mary change in Charlie's eyes?
10. Why is the memory of Charlie having the memory regarding his birth mother so significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Regret seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of regret? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the ongoing conflict between Charlie and Da. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Charlie learn about the reality of his life with Da as opposed to the perceptions he has held for so long?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)