|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie's mother want Charlie to do before Drumm arrives?
2. Why does Mother take the letter?
3. As an adult, Charlie angrily says that he shouldn't love Da because he ______________.
4. Where does Charlie's birth mother work?
5. Which of the following was not a big part of Da's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the accusations that fly between Charlie and Young Charlie.
2. Describe how Da and Mother say goodbye to Young Charlie.
3. How does the play, DA, open?
4. From whose point of view are the memory scenes told?
5. How does Mary change in Charlie's eyes?
6. What information does Young Charlie overhear and how does he react to it?
7. What is the nature of the letter Young Charlie is writing and why does his mother not like it?
8. How does Mother take control of Charlie's letter writing?
9. How does Da make his first appearance in the play?
10. What is the main theme of the play and how is it exhibited for Charlie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the play and write a brief synopsis for Charlie's life. Will Da still be such a powerful presence in his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Da. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Da?
Essay Topic 3
Regret seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of regret? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)