|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Da appears and says that if there were room in his grave, he would _____________________.
(c) roll over in it.
(d) play solitaire.
2. Why does Drumm think Young Charlie should be sent away?
(a) There aren't a lot of jobs available in Ireland.
(b) There are more opportunities in a bigger country.
(c) He is too bright not to continue his education.
(d) International travel is character building.
3. What does Mary say about her father?
(a) He will be coming to pick her up soon.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He disappeared years ago.
(d) He is at home with a work injury.
4. What does Mary tell Young Charlie after Da leaves?
(a) He's an idiot.
(b) He's senile.
(c) He's nosy.
(d) He's a great guy.
5. What is Young Charlie doing as Mother talks to him about her life?
(a) Peeling potatoes.
(b) Watching TV.
(c) Writing a letter.
(d) Playing solitaire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Charlie when his father died?
2. What does Charlie feel keeps him from being successful?
3. The last thing Young Charlie wanted was ______________________.
4. Why does Mother take the letter?
5. What is Charlie's tone as he listens to his Mother speak about him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation Charlie had with Da when Da was in his final days, suffering from dementia.
2. How does Charlie end the encounter with Mary?
3. Describe Young Charlie's romantic overtures toward Mary.
4. What two revelations about Da come to Charlie in this act?
5. What is the nature of the letter Young Charlie is writing and why does his mother not like it?
6. What is Da's legacy from the Master?
7. Describe the fight between Charlie's parents after Mother runs into an old friend who is married to the man Mother had loved.
8. How does Young Charlie make his first appearance in the play?
9. How long has it been since Charlie and Oliver have seen each other and what do they talk about?
10. How does Act 2, Part 2 end?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)