|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who appears just as Young Charlie and Mary are getting to know each other?
(d) Mary's father.
2. What does Mary say she will do with Young Charlie?
(b) Ride bikes.
(c) Go to church.
(d) Go out with him.
3. Da begged for a job to get money for __________________.
(a) Mother's medical bills.
(b) clothes for Young Charlie.
4. Which of the following does Drumm not say about Da?
(a) He's stupid.
(b) He's no good.
(c) He's brilliant.
(d) He's small in spirit.
5. Charlie recalls when Drumm had come to give him _______________.
(a) a new coat.
(b) driving lessons.
(c) some football tickets.
(d) a job reference.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mother explain to Young Charlie about her life?
2. Why does Mother not like Young Charlie's letter?
3. Which of the following did Da not do while courting Mother?
4. Why did all the boys want to be with Mary?
5. What does Da say when Charlie tells him he loves him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charlie become angry at Da for not taking the money he had sent him?
2. Why does Charlie consider Da to be a millstone around his neck?
3. How does Mother take control of Charlie's letter writing?
4. How does Act 2, Part 1 begin?
5. What does the melted sunglasses sculpture symbolize?
6. How long has it been since Charlie and Oliver have seen each other and what do they talk about?
7. What has become of the spectacles sculpture?
8. What does Da do when he appears the second time in the scene?
9. What is the author's purpose for including this brief scene with Mary, Young Charlie and Da?
10. How does the author provide some context for Da's anger at Mother to help the reader better understand him as a person?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)