|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Drumm suggest that Da and Mother send Young Charlie?
(d) Boarding school.
2. What does Mother tell Da to do with Young Charlie regarding the letter?
(a) Mail it before he changes it again.
(b) Make him write another one.
(c) Make it shorter.
(d) Make it longer.
3. What does Young Charlie do when he hears that he was adopted?
(a) Beats on his Mother.
(b) Runs out of the house.
(c) Throws a vase against the wall.
4. Why does Drumm think Young Charlie should be sent away?
(a) International travel is character building.
(b) There are more opportunities in a bigger country.
(c) There aren't a lot of jobs available in Ireland.
(d) He is too bright not to continue his education.
5. What does Mary tell Young Charlie after Da leaves?
(a) He's nosy.
(b) He's an idiot.
(c) He's senile.
(d) He's a great guy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Charlie's tone as he listens to his Mother speak about him?
2. What does Oliver ask Charlie before leaving?
3. What does Da say when Charlie tells him he loves him?
4. How did Mother respond to Da's marriage proposal?
5. In the first memory of Act 1, Part 4 what childhood memory does Charlie have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memory does Charlie have of Drumm and what was the state of their relationship?
2. What is the author's purpose for including this brief scene with Mary, Young Charlie and Da?
3. How does Da make his first appearance in the play?
4. What does Drumm bring to the house for Charlie and how does Charlie respond?
5. What is the significance of the dementia scene with Charlie and Da?
6. What does Da tell Charlie about his birth mother which is different from what his aunt has been telling him?
7. Describe how Da and Mother say goodbye to Young Charlie.
8. Why does Charlie become angry at Da for not taking the money he had sent him?
9. How does Act 2, Part 2 end?
10. How does Mary change in Charlie's eyes?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)