|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mother think that Da ruined Young Charlie's chances for a job?
(a) He refused to give him a reference.
(b) He was late in taking Young Charlie to his interview.
(c) He talked too much about Hitler in front of Drumm.
(d) He gave Young Charlie beer before his interview.
2. Where does Charlie's birth mother work?
(a) At the lighthouse.
(b) At a cafe.
(c) At a factory.
(d) At the school.
3. To whom is Young Charlie writing a letter?
4. How does Adult Charlie realize his Mother and Da expressed their love?
5. What does Da tell adult Charlie about a particular cliff?
(a) A girl fell to her death there when he was a boy.
(b) He almost slipped and fell there one time.
(c) It is called Lover's Leap.
(d) The devil himself had visited it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oliver ask Charlie before leaving?
2. What does Mary become in Young Charlie's eyes?
3. What does Mary tell Young Charlie after Da leaves?
4. What does Mary say about her father?
5. Who takes the letter from Young Charlie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Da do when he appears the second time in the scene?
2. What advice does Drumm give Young Charlie on the job he offers him?
3. How does Charlie end the encounter with Mary?
4. Why do Oliver's plans differ from Charlie's once Charlie sees Mary sitting on a bench reading?
5. How does the play, DA, open?
6. Why does Charlie consider Da to be a millstone around his neck?
7. What is the significance of the dementia scene with Charlie and Da?
8. How does Mother take control of Charlie's letter writing?
9. From whose point of view are the memory scenes told?
10. What is "an Irishwoman's death"?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)