|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who appears just as Young Charlie and Mary are getting to know each other?
(d) Mary's father.
2. What does Charlie realize after the scene with Mary?
(a) She was really ugly.
(b) Da didn't deliberately ruin his chances with her.
(c) He dodged a bullet by not getting involved with her.
(d) He was a fool to have wanted her.
3. What does Da say will happen to Charlie's birth mother if she ever shows up?
(a) She'll be asked to dinner.
(b) She'll get the boot.
(c) She'll be free to see Charlie.
(d) She'll be asked for explanations.
4. What does Charlie's mother want Charlie to do before Drumm arrives?
(a) Brush his teeth.
(b) Change his shirt.
(c) Wash his hair.
(d) Take a shower.
5. Why does Mother take the letter?
(a) To rewrite it.
(b) To burn it.
(c) To tear it up.
(d) To mail it.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Young Charlie writing a letter?
2. Da says that there will be plenty of jobs when ____________ takes over.
3. In the first memory of Act 1, Part 4 what childhood memory does Charlie have?
4. Which of the following does Drumm not say about Da?
5. What question does Charlie ask himself about his Mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the dementia scene with Charlie and Da?
2. What does Charlie learn about how his parents came to be married?
3. How does Young Charlie make his first appearance in the play?
4. How do Drumm and Charlie's parents disagree on the best place for Charlie to find a job?
5. What is the author's purpose for including this brief scene with Mary, Young Charlie and Da?
6. Why has Drumm come to the house to see Young Charlie?
7. For what reason did Da use the checks Charlie had sent him?
8. What does Young Charlie represent for Charlie?
9. What does Da do when he appears the second time in the scene?
10. What does Charlie learn about himself and the things for which he always blamed Da?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)