|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Drumm suggest that Da and Mother send Young Charlie?
(a) Boarding school.
2. Which of the following does Drumm not say about Da?
(a) He's stupid.
(b) He's no good.
(c) He's brilliant.
(d) He's small in spirit.
3. What ritual does Da have trouble with?
(a) Ironing a shirt.
(b) Reading the paper.
(c) Making tea.
4. What does Da say will happen to Charlie's birth mother if she ever shows up?
(a) She'll get the boot.
(b) She'll be free to see Charlie.
(c) She'll be asked for explanations.
(d) She'll be asked to dinner.
5. Why does Drumm think Young Charlie should be sent away?
(a) International travel is character building.
(b) There are more opportunities in a bigger country.
(c) There aren't a lot of jobs available in Ireland.
(d) He is too bright not to continue his education.
Short Answer Questions
1. Da reappears and talks about the funeral and _________________.
2. What does Young Charlie want to be in his letter?
3. Why does Mother think that Da ruined Young Charlie's chances for a job?
4. What is Charlie's tone as he listens to his Mother speak about him?
5. Why does Mother not like Young Charlie's letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the memory of Charlie having the memory regarding his birth mother so significant?
2. What advice does Drumm give Young Charlie on the job he offers him?
3. What ulterior motive does Oliver have for coming to see Charlie after his Da died?
4. What information does Young Charlie overhear and how does he react to it?
5. How does the author provide some context for Da's anger at Mother to help the reader better understand him as a person?
6. Why has Drumm come to the house to see Young Charlie?
7. What does Charlie learn about how his parents came to be married?
8. What does Da tell Charlie about his birth mother which is different from what his aunt has been telling him?
9. For what reason did Da use the checks Charlie had sent him?
10. How does Da change the course of Charlie's overtures toward Mary?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)