|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Young Charlie want to be in his letter?
2. What is the name of the man Mother had loved?
3. What does Mary say she will do with Young Charlie?
(a) Go to church.
(b) Go out with him.
(d) Ride bikes.
4. What does Charlie realize after the scene with Mary?
(a) Da didn't deliberately ruin his chances with her.
(b) She was really ugly.
(c) He was a fool to have wanted her.
(d) He dodged a bullet by not getting involved with her.
5. What name does Mary call Young Charlie?
(a) Daddy's Little Baby.
(b) Daddy's Boy.
(d) Son of a Bitch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie remind Young Charlie about Drumm?
2. What is Charlie's tone as he listens to his Mother speak about him?
3. How does Adult Charlie realize his Mother and Da expressed their love?
4. Young Charlie tells Charlie that Mother and Da always _____________ around Drumm.
5. What job does Charlie's birth mother do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mother take control of Charlie's letter writing?
2. Describe Young Charlie's romantic overtures toward Mary.
3. What foreshadowing does the author use regarding Da's intention for his legacy?
4. What two revelations about Da come to Charlie in this act?
5. Why does Charlie become angry at Da for not taking the money he had sent him?
6. How does Charlie end the encounter with Mary?
7. What is the nature of the letter Young Charlie is writing and why does his mother not like it?
8. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding the razor blades Charlie gave to Da for Christmas one year?
9. From whose point of view are the memory scenes told?
10. How does the author provide some context for Da's anger at Mother to help the reader better understand him as a person?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)