|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Oliver?
(a) Charlie's son.
(b) Charlie's boss.
(c) Drumm's father-in-law.
(d) Charlie's friend.
2. How long has it been since Charlie and Oliver have seen each other?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 6 months.
3. What does Charlie tell Da about Mary?
(a) He wanted to marry her.
(b) She was the oldest of ten children.
(c) She was a straight-A student.
(d) Every boy in school wanted to be with her.
4. Which of the following was not a big part of Da's life?
(a) Playing cards.
5. What is Young Charlie determined to do?
(a) Go to college.
(b) Get a job.
(c) Ask Mary out.
(d) Get better grades.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary do when Young Charlie puts his hand on her knee?
2. What had the doctor said when Young Charlie was born?
3. Which girl always believed that Oliver would be a great man?
4. Mother claimed that Da made a __________ out of Young Charlie.
5. What does Da tell adult Charlie about a particular cliff?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Drumm give Young Charlie on the job he offers him?
2. What charges does Young Charlie level at Adult Charlie about the way his life turned out?
3. What is the nature of the letter Young Charlie is writing and why does his mother not like it?
4. What does Charlie learn about himself and the things for which he always blamed Da?
5. How does Charlie injure his hand on the glasses sculpture?
6. Why is the memory of Charlie having the memory regarding his birth mother so significant?
7. For what reason did Da use the checks Charlie had sent him?
8. How does the author use the lighthouse as a metaphor in this scene?
9. What is Da's legacy from the Master?
10. How does the author provide some context for Da's anger at Mother to help the reader better understand him as a person?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)