|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of death do Da and Charlie say that Mother died?
(a) A natural death.
(b) A slow, painful death.
(c) An honest death.
(d) An Irishwoman's death.
2. From what disease was Da suffering?
3. To whom is Mother's old friend married?
4. What happened to the sunglasses given to Da?
(a) They were melted.
(b) They were cracked.
(c) They were stepped on.
(d) They were lost.
5. How were the sunglasses melted?
(a) Sitting in the sun for months.
(b) In the San Francisco earthquake of 1906.
(c) In a fireworks explosion.
(d) Lying close to a gas grill.
6. What memento does Mrs. Prynne give Charlie?
(a) A Faberge egg.
(b) A nautical paperweight.
(c) A clump of fused sunglasses.
(d) A tiki head.
7. Why had Charlie sent the money to Da originally?
(a) For a Father's Day gift.
(b) For a retirement gift.
(c) After he escaped from the second nursing home.
(d) For a birthday gift.
8. Which of the following does Da not say about the way he left this life?
(a) He died longing to go to America.
(b) He had enjoyed himself.
(c) He didn't die poor like so many others.
(d) He left money behind.
9. What did Charlie do that made Drumm never speak to him at work again?
(a) Had an affair with his wife.
(b) Wrote bad checks.
(c) Ran over his dog.
(d) Crossed the street to avoid meeting him.
10. Who is sitting in the living room when Charlie gets home?
(d) Young Charlie.
11. Which of the following does Da not do at the end of the play?
(a) Sings an Irish song.
(b) Cries for Mother.
(c) Says that he'll keep up with Charlie.
(d) Follows Charlie out of the house.
12. How does Charlie retaliate for Young Charlie's accusations?
(a) Tells him he was a loser from the very beginning.
(b) Accuses him of being cheap.
(c) Says he never loved Da or Mother.
(d) Screams at him to let him alone.
13. Which of the following does Young Charlie not tell Charlie?
(a) He should get remarried.
(b) Young Charlie never needed to drink.
(c) Adult Charlie has no life left in him.
(d) He had hoped he would become something more.
14. Where had Mother taken the glasses?
(a) The junk yard.
(b) The antiques shop.
(c) The optometrist's shop.
(d) The pawnshop.
15. Who is the woman who appears to Young Charlie in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) Mrs. Priory.
(b) Mrs. Peavy.
(c) Mrs. Prynne.
(d) Mrs. Preston.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "an Irishwoman's death"?
2. What does Da offer to Charlie?
3. Who calls for Young Charlie at the beginning of Act 2, Part 3?
4. Where had Da gotten the money he left for Charlie?
5. Why does Da say he will go to England now?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)