|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlie feel keeps him from being successful?
(a) Memories of Da.
(b) Bad luck.
(c) No ambition.
(d) Lack of education.
2. Why does Mother not like Young Charlie's letter?
(a) It is too long.
(b) The language is insincere.
(c) The language is too extravagant.
(d) It is too short.
3. When does Mary begin to respond positively to Young Charlie?
(a) When he buys her a coffee.
(b) When he tells her a joke.
(c) When he sings to her.
(d) When he puts his hand on her knee.
4. Da tells Charlie that he never told him _______________.
(a) about his birth mother.
(b) about sex.
(c) a lie.
(d) he loved him.
5. What does Mary say she will do with Young Charlie?
(b) Go to church.
(c) Go out with him.
(d) Ride bikes.
6. What name does Mary call Young Charlie?
(b) Daddy's Boy.
(c) Daddy's Little Baby.
(d) Son of a Bitch.
7. What is Charlie's tone as he listens to his Mother speak about him?
8. What ritual does Da have trouble with?
(a) Making tea.
(b) Ironing a shirt.
(d) Reading the paper.
9. Why does Drumm think Young Charlie should be sent away?
(a) There aren't a lot of jobs available in Ireland.
(b) International travel is character building.
(c) There are more opportunities in a bigger country.
(d) He is too bright not to continue his education.
10. What is Mary doing when Young Charlie and Oliver appear?
(a) Praying in church.
(b) Sitting on a bench reading.
(c) Studying at the library.
(d) Playing soccer.
11. What is the name of the man Mother had loved?
12. What job does Charlie's birth mother do?
(c) Sales person.
13. What does Charlie realize after the scene with Mary?
(a) She was really ugly.
(b) Da didn't deliberately ruin his chances with her.
(c) He dodged a bullet by not getting involved with her.
(d) He was a fool to have wanted her.
14. Young Charlie's birth mother __________________.
(a) was too young to keep him.
(b) kept him as long as she could.
(c) tried to abort him.
(d) prayed for a good family for him.
15. What does Da tell adult Charlie about a particular cliff?
(a) The devil himself had visited it.
(b) He almost slipped and fell there one time.
(c) It is called Lover's Leap.
(d) A girl fell to her death there when he was a boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie call Oliver after Oliver leaves?
2. What does Young Charlie want to be in his letter?
3. Who appears with Charlie at the beginning of Act 1, Part 3?
4. Who is Charlie's younger self in the play?
5. Mother claimed that Da made a __________ out of Young Charlie.
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)