|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Drumm think Young Charlie should be sent away?
(a) There aren't a lot of jobs available in Ireland.
(b) He is too bright not to continue his education.
(c) International travel is character building.
(d) There are more opportunities in a bigger country.
2. Where does Drumm ask Young Charlie to go with him?
(a) To the pub.
(b) To the office.
(c) To a rugby game.
(d) For a walk.
3. What is the reason for Young Charlie's letter?
(a) Father's Day greeting.
(b) Declaration of love.
(c) Gratitude for a job offer.
(d) Request to get married.
4. What does Mother tell Da to do with Young Charlie regarding the letter?
(a) Make him write another one.
(b) Mail it before he changes it again.
(c) Make it shorter.
(d) Make it longer.
5. What cannot be said about Da after this scene with Mary?
(a) He was open hearted.
(b) He was friendly.
(c) He was vindictive.
(d) He was chatty.
6. Which of the following does Mary not do when Charlie rebuffs her?
(a) Calls him a name.
(b) Laughs at him.
(c) Leaves disappointed.
7. The last thing Young Charlie wanted was ______________________.
(a) to fall in love.
(b) to have sex.
(c) to get engaged.
(d) to be with a person.
8. Where is Charlie as the play opens?
(a) Sitting in his childhood home.
(b) Playing poker at the club.
(c) Drinking at the pub.
(d) Sleeping in bed.
9. In the first memory of Act 1, Part 4 what childhood memory does Charlie have?
(a) Playing cards with Da.
(b) Playing pool with Da.
(c) Walking with Da.
(d) Raking leaves with Da.
10. How many sons did Drumm have?
11. Da appears and says that if there were room in his grave, he would _____________________.
(c) roll over in it.
(d) play solitaire.
12. What does Mary become in Young Charlie's eyes?
(a) A whore.
(b) A saint.
(c) A child.
(d) A person.
13. How did Mother respond to Da's marriage proposal?
(a) She had no say in the matter.
(b) She told him no at first.
(c) She said yes immediately.
(d) She said she would have to think about it.
14. What does Mary say she will do with Young Charlie?
(a) Go to church.
(b) Ride bikes.
(c) Go out with him.
15. Which of the following does Drumm not say about Da?
(a) He's no good.
(b) He's stupid.
(c) He's brilliant.
(d) He's small in spirit.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country does DA take place?
2. Why doesn't Young Charlie make a very good impression with Drumm?
3. To whom is Young Charlie writing a letter?
4. What does Young Charlie do when he hears that he was adopted?
5. What does Mary tell Young Charlie after Da leaves?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)