|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Da appears and says that if there were room in his grave, he would _____________________.
(a) roll over in it.
(b) play solitaire.
2. Which of the following was not a big part of Da's life?
(c) Playing cards.
3. In the first memory of Act 1, Part 4 what childhood memory does Charlie have?
(a) Raking leaves with Da.
(b) Playing cards with Da.
(c) Playing pool with Da.
(d) Walking with Da.
4. To whom is Young Charlie writing a letter?
5. Which of the following does Charlie not tell Da?
(a) He is going back to London.
(b) He is going to sort out Da's papers.
(c) He wants to live in Da's house.
(d) He has disposed of Da's belongings.
6. What is Charlie's tone as he listens to his Mother speak about him?
7. Why does Mother think that Da ruined Young Charlie's chances for a job?
(a) He was late in taking Young Charlie to his interview.
(b) He talked too much about Hitler in front of Drumm.
(c) He gave Young Charlie beer before his interview.
(d) He refused to give him a reference.
8. Da says that there will be plenty of jobs when ____________ takes over.
(a) Roosevelt and the Americans.
(b) Churchill and the British.
(c) Stalin and the Russians.
(d) Hitler and the Germans.
9. What does Charlie feel keeps him from being successful?
(a) Bad luck.
(b) No ambition.
(c) Lack of education.
(d) Memories of Da.
10. Why does Mother take the letter?
(a) To mail it.
(b) To burn it.
(c) To tear it up.
(d) To rewrite it.
11. What does Charlie say that Da had been for all of Charlie's life?
(a) A real inspiration.
(b) A nuisance.
(c) A blessing.
(d) A millstone.
12. Which of the following does Drumm not say about Da?
(a) He's small in spirit.
(b) He's no good.
(c) He's brilliant.
(d) He's stupid.
13. Why doesn't Young Charlie make a very good impression with Drumm?
(a) He swears too much.
(b) He has beer on his breath.
(c) He keeps falling asleep.
(d) Da and Mother keep answering the questions.
14. Da tells Charlie that he never told him _______________.
(a) a lie.
(b) he loved him.
(c) about his birth mother.
(d) about sex.
15. What had the doctor said when Young Charlie was born?
(a) He had the biggest head he ever saw on a baby.
(b) He wouldn't amount to much.
(c) He almost died.
(d) He was healthy as a horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mother explain to Young Charlie about her life?
2. Why does Mother not like Young Charlie's letter?
3. What does Young Charlie want to be in his letter?
4. Why has Oliver stopped at Charlie's father's house?
5. Young Charlie tells Charlie that Mother and Da always _____________ around Drumm.
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)