|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Da says that there will be plenty of jobs when ____________ takes over.
(a) Hitler and the Germans.
(b) Roosevelt and the Americans.
(c) Stalin and the Russians.
(d) Churchill and the British.
2. "Da" is an Irish term for ____________.
3. Mother claimed that Da made a __________ out of Young Charlie.
4. What does Mother do when Young Charlie runs away?
(a) Clears the tea dishes.
(b) Cries herself to sleep.
(c) Calls the police.
(d) Runs after him.
5. Where does Charlie's birth mother work?
(a) At a cafe.
(b) At the school.
(c) At a factory.
(d) At the lighthouse.
6. What is Mary doing when Young Charlie and Oliver appear?
(a) Sitting on a bench reading.
(b) Playing soccer.
(c) Studying at the library.
(d) Praying in church.
7. What does Charlie say that Da had been for all of Charlie's life?
(a) A nuisance.
(b) A millstone.
(c) A blessing.
(d) A real inspiration.
8. How did Mother respond to Da's marriage proposal?
(a) She said she would have to think about it.
(b) She said yes immediately.
(c) She had no say in the matter.
(d) She told him no at first.
9. What does Da say will happen to Charlie's birth mother if she ever shows up?
(a) She'll be asked to dinner.
(b) She'll be free to see Charlie.
(c) She'll be asked for explanations.
(d) She'll get the boot.
10. What does Mother explain to Young Charlie about her life?
(a) She could not get pregnant.
(b) She never really wanted children.
(c) She loved him from the moment she saw him.
(d) She had been in love with someone else.
11. What is Young Charlie doing as Mother talks to him about her life?
(a) Peeling potatoes.
(b) Playing solitaire.
(c) Writing a letter.
(d) Watching TV.
12. What cannot be said about Da after this scene with Mary?
(a) He was friendly.
(b) He was chatty.
(c) He was vindictive.
(d) He was open hearted.
13. When does Mary begin to respond positively to Young Charlie?
(a) When he tells her a joke.
(b) When he sings to her.
(c) When he puts his hand on her knee.
(d) When he buys her a coffee.
14. Charlie says that he's more afraid of _____________ than he is of the devil.
(a) his birth mother taking him away.
(b) getting married.
(c) flunking school.
(d) going to college
15. What does Mary tell Young Charlie after Da leaves?
(a) He's an idiot.
(b) He's senile.
(c) He's a great guy.
(d) He's nosy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Drumm's visit with Young Charlie is essentially _____________________.
2. What does Drumm advise Young Charlie not to talk about to anyone?
3. Who does Charlie say told him that what Da said about Charlie's birth mother wasn't true?
4. Who has recently died?
5. Which of the following did Da not do while courting Mother?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)