|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the theme of DA as dramatized in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) There is no escaping the past.
(b) Once a loser, always a loser.
(c) Love your parents before they die.
(d) Beer and women should always be warm.
2. Who is Oliver?
(a) Charlie's friend.
(b) Charlie's boss.
(c) Charlie's son.
(d) Drumm's father-in-law.
3. What does Drumm advise Young Charlie not to talk about to anyone?
(a) His parents.
(b) His adoption.
(c) His medical condition.
(d) His grades.
4. What does Mary tell Young Charlie after Da leaves?
(a) He's senile.
(b) He's an idiot.
(c) He's a great guy.
(d) He's nosy.
5. Da reappears and talks about the funeral and _________________.
(a) the Prime Minister.
(b) the weather.
(c) Charlie's suit.
(d) the neighbors.
6. Where does Oliver want Young Charlie to go with him?
(a) The malt shop.
(b) The rugby game.
(c) The pool hall.
(d) The library.
7. What ritual does Da have trouble with?
(b) Reading the paper.
(c) Making tea.
(d) Ironing a shirt.
8. Young Charlie tells Charlie that Mother and Da always _____________ around Drumm.
9. Where is Charlie as the play opens?
(a) Drinking at the pub.
(b) Sleeping in bed.
(c) Playing poker at the club.
(d) Sitting in his childhood home.
10. Who has recently died?
(a) Charlie's mother.
(b) Charlie's father.
(c) Oliver's father.
(d) Charlie's son.
11. As an adult, Charlie angrily says that he shouldn't love Da because he ______________.
(a) is a liar.
(b) cheated on his mother.
(c) betrayed him.
(d) let him down too many times.
12. What does Young Charlie decide to do instead of going out with Mary?
(a) Play cards with some buddies.
(b) Help his Mother with chores.
(c) Meet Oliver at the pool hall.
(d) Have a few beers at the pub.
13. What does Charlie say that Da had been for all of Charlie's life?
(a) A real inspiration.
(b) A blessing.
(c) A millstone.
(d) A nuisance.
14. Which of the following does Drumm not say about Da?
(a) He's brilliant.
(b) He's stupid.
(c) He's small in spirit.
(d) He's no good.
15. What does Charlie tell Da about Mary?
(a) He wanted to marry her.
(b) She was the oldest of ten children.
(c) She was a straight-A student.
(d) Every boy in school wanted to be with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oliver ask Charlie before leaving?
2. Charlie says that he's more afraid of _____________ than he is of the devil.
3. Which of the following did Da not do while courting Mother?
4. Which of the following was not a big part of Da's life?
5. Why does Drumm think Young Charlie should be sent away?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)