|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Da ask Mary?
(a) If she goes to church regularly.
(b) Where her father is.
(c) If she wants to have dinner at their house.
(d) What kind of grades she gets.
2. What does Charlie feel keeps him from being successful?
(a) No ambition.
(b) Bad luck.
(c) Memories of Da.
(d) Lack of education.
3. Where does Charlie's birth mother work?
(a) At the school.
(b) At a cafe.
(c) At a factory.
(d) At the lighthouse.
4. Where does Oliver want Young Charlie to go with him?
(a) The pool hall.
(b) The malt shop.
(c) The library.
(d) The rugby game.
5. What is Young Charlie doing as Mother talks to him about her life?
(a) Playing solitaire.
(b) Writing a letter.
(c) Watching TV.
(d) Peeling potatoes.
6. What does Charlie tell Da about Mary?
(a) Every boy in school wanted to be with her.
(b) She was a straight-A student.
(c) She was the oldest of ten children.
(d) He wanted to marry her.
7. When does Mary begin to respond positively to Young Charlie?
(a) When he tells her a joke.
(b) When he buys her a coffee.
(c) When he puts his hand on her knee.
(d) When he sings to her.
8. Why doesn't Young Charlie make a very good impression with Drumm?
(a) Da and Mother keep answering the questions.
(b) He keeps falling asleep.
(c) He swears too much.
(d) He has beer on his breath.
9. What does Mother tell Da to do with Young Charlie regarding the letter?
(a) Make it longer.
(b) Mail it before he changes it again.
(c) Make him write another one.
(d) Make it shorter.
10. What question does Charlie ask himself about his Mother?
(a) Why she never drinks beer.
(b) Why she married Da.
(c) Why she never loved him.
(d) Why she adopted him.
11. Who takes the letter from Young Charlie?
12. Which girl always believed that Oliver would be a great man?
13. Why does Drumm think Young Charlie should be sent away?
(a) He is too bright not to continue his education.
(b) International travel is character building.
(c) There aren't a lot of jobs available in Ireland.
(d) There are more opportunities in a bigger country.
14. In what terms does Young Charlie no longer view Mary?
(a) The love of his life.
(b) A chaste girl.
(c) The most beautiful girl he's ever seen.
(d) Just someone to have sex with.
15. Drumm's visit with Young Charlie is essentially _____________________.
(a) a job interview.
(b) a nuisance.
(c) a waste of time.
(d) a done deal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man Mother had loved?
2. What is the theme of DA as dramatized in Act 1, Part 1?
3. Da says that there will be plenty of jobs when ____________ takes over.
4. Why does Mother think that Da ruined Young Charlie's chances for a job?
5. What does Charlie call Oliver after Oliver leaves?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)