|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what terms does Young Charlie no longer view Mary?
(a) A chaste girl.
(b) Just someone to have sex with.
(c) The love of his life.
(d) The most beautiful girl he's ever seen.
2. Where was Charlie when his father died?
3. Charlie says that he's more afraid of _____________ than he is of the devil.
(a) getting married.
(b) going to college
(c) flunking school.
(d) his birth mother taking him away.
4. What does Young Charlie do when he hears that he was adopted?
(a) Beats on his Mother.
(b) Runs out of the house.
(c) Throws a vase against the wall.
5. What is Young Charlie determined to do?
(a) Ask Mary out.
(b) Go to college.
(c) Get better grades.
(d) Get a job.
6. Da says that there will be plenty of jobs when ____________ takes over.
(a) Roosevelt and the Americans.
(b) Churchill and the British.
(c) Stalin and the Russians.
(d) Hitler and the Germans.
7. How does Adult Charlie realize his Mother and Da expressed their love?
8. What does Charlie say that Da had been for all of Charlie's life?
(a) A blessing.
(b) A nuisance.
(c) A millstone.
(d) A real inspiration.
9. What does Drumm advise Young Charlie not to talk about to anyone?
(a) His adoption.
(b) His medical condition.
(c) His grades.
(d) His parents.
10. Who takes the letter from Young Charlie?
11. What is Charlie's tone as he listens to his Mother speak about him?
12. How many sons did Drumm have?
13. Which of the following does Charlie not tell Da?
(a) He has disposed of Da's belongings.
(b) He wants to live in Da's house.
(c) He is going back to London.
(d) He is going to sort out Da's papers.
14. Charlie confronts Da, asking why he hadn't ever ____________________.
(a) divorced Mother.
(c) gone back to church.
(d) stopped Mother.
15. What is Young Charlie doing as Mother talks to him about her life?
(a) Watching TV.
(b) Peeling potatoes.
(c) Playing solitaire.
(d) Writing a letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary say she will do with Young Charlie?
2. Which of the following was not a big part of Da's life?
3. Why does Mother take the letter?
4. Why doesn't Young Charlie make a very good impression with Drumm?
5. Which girl always believed that Oliver would be a great man?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)