|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which girl always believed that Oliver would be a great man?
2. Charlie comments that Young Charlie never _________________.
(a) went to Spain.
(b) stood up to Da and Mother.
(c) learned to play chess.
(d) made the rugby team.
3. Charlie says that he's more afraid of _____________ than he is of the devil.
(a) going to college
(b) getting married.
(c) his birth mother taking him away.
(d) flunking school.
4. What is Young Charlie doing as Mother talks to him about her life?
(a) Watching TV.
(b) Peeling potatoes.
(c) Playing solitaire.
(d) Writing a letter.
5. What is Young Charlie determined to do?
(a) Get better grades.
(b) Ask Mary out.
(c) Go to college.
(d) Get a job.
6. What does Mary tell Young Charlie after Da leaves?
(a) He's nosy.
(b) He's a great guy.
(c) He's senile.
(d) He's an idiot.
7. What does Da say will happen to Charlie's birth mother if she ever shows up?
(a) She'll be asked for explanations.
(b) She'll get the boot.
(c) She'll be asked to dinner.
(d) She'll be free to see Charlie.
8. What does Mother reveal to Drumm which is overheard by Young Charlie?
(a) Young Charlie has a terminal illness.
(b) Young Charlie is not bright enough to go to college.
(c) Young Charlie was adopted.
(d) Young Charlie is being sent back to his birth parents.
9. What does Drumm advise Young Charlie not to talk about to anyone?
(a) His parents.
(b) His grades.
(c) His adoption.
(d) His medical condition.
10. Who has recently died?
(a) Charlie's mother.
(b) Charlie's father.
(c) Charlie's son.
(d) Oliver's father.
11. Mother claimed that Da made a __________ out of Young Charlie.
12. Where was Charlie when his father died?
13. To whom is Young Charlie writing a letter?
14. Da says that there will be plenty of jobs when ____________ takes over.
(a) Roosevelt and the Americans.
(b) Hitler and the Germans.
(c) Churchill and the British.
(d) Stalin and the Russians.
15. Why has Oliver stopped at Charlie's father's house?
(a) To borrow a lawn mower.
(b) To pick up mail.
(c) To offer condolences.
(d) To return a shovel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charlie recalls when Drumm had come to give him _______________.
2. What had Drumm given Da a couple of weeks before Da died?
3. Why does Mother not like Young Charlie's letter?
4. What is Mary doing when Young Charlie and Oliver appear?
5. What does Da say when Charlie tells him he loves him?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)