|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following do Charlie and Oliver not talk about?
(a) Movies they saw.
(b) School subjects they liked.
(c) Girls they dated.
(d) Expressions they used.
2. What is the theme of DA as dramatized in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) Once a loser, always a loser.
(b) Beer and women should always be warm.
(c) There is no escaping the past.
(d) Love your parents before they die.
3. To whom is Young Charlie writing a letter?
4. Why doesn't Young Charlie make a very good impression with Drumm?
(a) He has beer on his breath.
(b) Da and Mother keep answering the questions.
(c) He swears too much.
(d) He keeps falling asleep.
5. In the first memory of Act 1, Part 4 what childhood memory does Charlie have?
(a) Raking leaves with Da.
(b) Walking with Da.
(c) Playing pool with Da.
(d) Playing cards with Da.
6. Where is Charlie as the play opens?
(a) Sleeping in bed.
(b) Drinking at the pub.
(c) Playing poker at the club.
(d) Sitting in his childhood home.
7. What does Charlie realize after the scene with Mary?
(a) He was a fool to have wanted her.
(b) He dodged a bullet by not getting involved with her.
(c) Da didn't deliberately ruin his chances with her.
(d) She was really ugly.
8. "Da" is an Irish term for ____________.
9. Charlie says that he's more afraid of _____________ than he is of the devil.
(a) going to college
(b) his birth mother taking him away.
(c) flunking school.
(d) getting married.
10. Why has Oliver stopped at Charlie's father's house?
(a) To offer condolences.
(b) To return a shovel.
(c) To borrow a lawn mower.
(d) To pick up mail.
11. Why does Mother not like Young Charlie's letter?
(a) It is too long.
(b) The language is insincere.
(c) It is too short.
(d) The language is too extravagant.
12. Who takes the letter from Young Charlie?
13. What is the name of the young woman who appears with Charlie in Act 1, Part 3?
14. Da tells Charlie that he never told him _______________.
(a) he loved him.
(b) a lie.
(c) about sex.
(d) about his birth mother.
15. Which of the following does Drumm not say about Da?
(a) He's small in spirit.
(b) He's no good.
(c) He's brilliant.
(d) He's stupid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charlie confronts Da, asking why he hadn't ever ____________________.
2. Who does Charlie say told him that what Da said about Charlie's birth mother wasn't true?
3. How long has it been since Charlie and Oliver have seen each other?
4. What does Charlie call Oliver after Oliver leaves?
5. Who is the main character of DA?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)