|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Da say will happen to Charlie's birth mother if she ever shows up?
(a) She'll be asked for explanations.
(b) She'll get the boot.
(c) She'll be free to see Charlie.
(d) She'll be asked to dinner.
2. What is Young Charlie doing as Mother talks to him about her life?
(a) Writing a letter.
(b) Playing solitaire.
(c) Watching TV.
(d) Peeling potatoes.
3. Which of the following do Charlie and Oliver not talk about?
(a) Movies they saw.
(b) Expressions they used.
(c) Girls they dated.
(d) School subjects they liked.
4. Which of the following does Charlie not tell Da?
(a) He is going back to London.
(b) He has disposed of Da's belongings.
(c) He is going to sort out Da's papers.
(d) He wants to live in Da's house.
5. Drumm tells Young Charlie that __________ are harder to get out of than get into.
(a) love affairs.
6. What is Young Charlie determined to do?
(a) Get better grades.
(b) Get a job.
(c) Ask Mary out.
(d) Go to college.
7. Da tells Charlie that he never told him _______________.
(a) a lie.
(b) about his birth mother.
(c) about sex.
(d) he loved him.
8. What does Charlie tell Da about Mary?
(a) He wanted to marry her.
(b) She was a straight-A student.
(c) She was the oldest of ten children.
(d) Every boy in school wanted to be with her.
9. Where does Charlie's birth mother work?
(a) At a cafe.
(b) At the school.
(c) At the lighthouse.
(d) At a factory.
10. What question does Charlie ask himself about his Mother?
(a) Why she adopted him.
(b) Why she married Da.
(c) Why she never drinks beer.
(d) Why she never loved him.
11. In what terms does Young Charlie no longer view Mary?
(a) The most beautiful girl he's ever seen.
(b) A chaste girl.
(c) The love of his life.
(d) Just someone to have sex with.
12. Who is the main character of DA?
13. Drumm's visit with Young Charlie is essentially _____________________.
(a) a job interview.
(b) a nuisance.
(c) a waste of time.
(d) a done deal.
14. In what country does DA take place?
15. What ritual does Da have trouble with?
(a) Making tea.
(c) Ironing a shirt.
(d) Reading the paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charlie says that he's more afraid of _____________ than he is of the devil.
2. What is Charlie's tone as he listens to his Mother speak about him?
3. What does Charlie feel keeps him from being successful?
4. What does Mary do when Young Charlie puts his hand on her knee?
5. Da says that there will be plenty of jobs when ____________ takes over.
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)