|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Da say will happen to Charlie's birth mother if she ever shows up?
(a) She'll be asked for explanations.
(b) She'll get the boot.
(c) She'll be free to see Charlie.
(d) She'll be asked to dinner.
2. Where was Charlie when his father died?
3. What is the name of the man Mother had loved?
4. What had the doctor said when Young Charlie was born?
(a) He was healthy as a horse.
(b) He almost died.
(c) He wouldn't amount to much.
(d) He had the biggest head he ever saw on a baby.
5. Where does Oliver want Young Charlie to go with him?
(a) The rugby game.
(b) The pool hall.
(c) The malt shop.
(d) The library.
6. What does Mary become in Young Charlie's eyes?
(a) A person.
(b) A child.
(c) A whore.
(d) A saint.
7. What does Da tell adult Charlie about a particular cliff?
(a) A girl fell to her death there when he was a boy.
(b) The devil himself had visited it.
(c) He almost slipped and fell there one time.
(d) It is called Lover's Leap.
8. How many sons did Drumm have?
9. Who takes the letter from Young Charlie?
10. Where is Charlie as the play opens?
(a) Sleeping in bed.
(b) Sitting in his childhood home.
(c) Drinking at the pub.
(d) Playing poker at the club.
11. What does Charlie realize after the scene with Mary?
(a) She was really ugly.
(b) Da didn't deliberately ruin his chances with her.
(c) He dodged a bullet by not getting involved with her.
(d) He was a fool to have wanted her.
12. Which of the following does Mary not do when Charlie rebuffs her?
(a) Calls him a name.
(b) Laughs at him.
(c) Leaves disappointed.
13. What does Mother tell Da to do with Young Charlie regarding the letter?
(a) Make it shorter.
(b) Make it longer.
(c) Make him write another one.
(d) Mail it before he changes it again.
14. What does Charlie feel keeps him from being successful?
(a) Bad luck.
(b) Memories of Da.
(c) Lack of education.
(d) No ambition.
15. What is Young Charlie determined to do?
(a) Get better grades.
(b) Go to college.
(c) Ask Mary out.
(d) Get a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mary doing when Young Charlie and Oliver appear?
2. What does Mary do when Young Charlie puts his hand on her knee?
3. What does Charlie remind Young Charlie about Drumm?
4. As an adult, Charlie angrily says that he shouldn't love Da because he ______________.
5. What does Oliver ask Charlie before leaving?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)