|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was not a big part of Da's life?
(d) Playing cards.
2. What question does Charlie ask himself about his Mother?
(a) Why she never loved him.
(b) Why she never drinks beer.
(c) Why she adopted him.
(d) Why she married Da.
3. Who appears just as Young Charlie and Mary are getting to know each other?
(c) Mary's father.
4. What does Charlie remind Young Charlie about Drumm?
(a) He is an idiot.
(b) He is a Chief Clerk.
(c) He is wealthy.
(d) He really respected him.
5. What is the name of the man Mother had loved?
6. What ritual does Da have trouble with?
(a) Reading the paper.
(b) Ironing a shirt.
(c) Making tea.
7. Who is Charlie's younger self in the play?
(a) Young Charlie.
(b) Charlie Jr.
8. Charlie says that he's more afraid of _____________ than he is of the devil.
(a) getting married.
(b) going to college
(c) his birth mother taking him away.
(d) flunking school.
9. Who is Oliver?
(a) Charlie's son.
(b) Charlie's boss.
(c) Charlie's friend.
(d) Drumm's father-in-law.
10. Da appears and says that if there were room in his grave, he would _____________________.
(b) roll over in it.
(d) play solitaire.
11. What does Da say when Charlie tells him he loves him?
(a) Of course you do.
(b) Back at you, son.
(c) Why shouldn't you?
(d) And I'm glad of it.
12. What does Mary do when Young Charlie puts his hand on her knee?
(a) She puts her hand on his knee.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She screams.
13. Why does Drumm think Young Charlie should be sent away?
(a) There are more opportunities in a bigger country.
(b) International travel is character building.
(c) He is too bright not to continue his education.
(d) There aren't a lot of jobs available in Ireland.
14. Which of the following did Da not do while courting Mother?
(a) Brought her flowers.
(b) Said he wanted to marry her.
(c) Came to her house.
(d) Said he had a good job.
15. As an adult, Charlie angrily says that he shouldn't love Da because he ______________.
(a) let him down too many times.
(b) cheated on his mother.
(c) is a liar.
(d) betrayed him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie realize after the scene with Mary?
2. Where was Charlie when his father died?
3. Why has Oliver stopped at Charlie's father's house?
4. What does Oliver ask Charlie before leaving?
5. Why does Mother take the letter?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)